PDA

View Full Version : Pippen on Barkley "Selfish... doesnt show the desire to win.. Jordan was right"

unbreakable
06-29-2012, 05:17 PM
"He's a very selfish guy," Pippen said of Barkley. "He doesn't show the desire to want to win. That's my reason for wanting to get away from playing with him anymore because he just doesn't show the dedication.

"I probably should've listened to Michael (Jordan) a year ago when he said that Charles will never win a championship because he doesn't show any dedication."

Pippen wasn't finished.

"I was very shocked to see what type of player he was by spending half a season with him," he said of Barkley. "I'm a guy that's dedicated to winning, and I put out a lot of effort on the court. I expect that from my teammates, especially from a guy of his caliber.

"You know he's not willing to go the distance. There's no reason for me to put my last three or four years at risk of never winning.

"Charles is definitely one of the guys that needs to show more leadership for this ballclub to be successful, and he don't show that to me. ... He feels that if he gets 10 rebounds and double-figure points, he's done a good job. But that's not what the game's about. It's about defending, being professional and coming to work every day."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ugxfIYANA

Pippen the true professional :bowdown:

AlphaWolf24
06-29-2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ugxfIYANA

Pippen the true professional :bowdown:

Barkley is so ovverrated here it's silly..

the guy destroyed every team he went to with his bad attitude and poor work ethic..

great TV persona...but come on...there is a reason his teams self destructed every year.

keep-itreal
06-29-2012, 05:24 PM
I read that entire article in Scottie Pippen's voice...

Round Mound
06-29-2012, 05:25 PM
When Pippen scores 44 Points and Grabs 24 Rebounds in a Game 7...He Can Talk

Peteballa
06-29-2012, 05:28 PM

DAMNIT! Came in here specifically to post "Inb4 Round Mound", and now I'm dissapointed :(

NOHCP3
06-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Think this just stemmed from that disappointment that came from Dream,Barkley,Pippen, and Drexler(was he still there?) not winning a championship. I'm sure today this is all water under the bridge

Brick Rick
06-29-2012, 05:42 PM
You sure this wasn't Drexler?

Calabis
06-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Let's be real, by the time Pip played with Barkley, Barkley had a shot back and was no where near the caliber player he once was

ImmortalD24
06-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Give me prime Pippen over Barkley anyday of the week. LMAO at people comparing this 1 dimensional career loser and statpadder with Duncan and Garnett.

eliteballer
06-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Barkley 1999(age 35): 16 ppg, 12 rpg, 5 apg, 48% FG

Pippen 2001(age 35): 11 ppg, 5 rpg, 5 apg, 45% FG

Horatio33
06-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Because numbers tell the whole story :rolleyes:

flipogb
06-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I thought Barkely said those guys weren't hungry anymore and thats why they didn't do so well

StateOfMind12
06-29-2012, 06:06 PM

:facepalm

"Charles is definitely one of the guys that needs to show more leadership for this ballclub to be successful, and he don't show that to me. ... He feels that if he gets 10 rebounds and double-figure points, he's done a good job. But that's not what the game's about. It's about defending, being professional and coming to work every day."

lbj23clutch
06-29-2012, 06:14 PM

Barkley gets those numbers in his sleep. He has GAME no denying that. Best power forward of his era, but that doesn't excuse him for his poor work ethic and dedication to the game. He never brought anything on the defensive end.

Rasheed1
06-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Barkley was an awesome player, but he was also a big mouth and a problem from time to time (when he wasnt winning).

But Pippen wasnt much better... He was a p*ssy before Jordan helped him find a heart... He also had his moment... where he sat out of the end of a game because Phil drew up the last play for Kukoc instead of him.. He got ripped for a while over that and people thought he would never live down all the criticism...Fortunately Mj came back and changed all the talk back to championships.

Pippen and Barkley are both legends, but Pippen has gotta be joking to accuse someone else of being selfish....

97 bulls
06-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Yep. And its this exact thinking that cost Barkley many championship opprtunities

97 bulls
06-29-2012, 06:21 PM

Yep. Just what Pippen was talking about. Hed go out, grab his double double then half ass it on defense.

PTstyle272
06-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I read that entire article in Scottie Pippen's voice...

Couldn't if I tried

97 bulls
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Barkley was an awesome player, but he was also a big mouth and a problem from time to time (when he wasnt winning).

But Pippen wasnt much better... He was a p*ssy before Jordan helped him find a heart... He also had his moment... where he sat out of the end of a game because Phil drew up the last play for Kukoc instead of him.. He got ripped for a while over that and people thought he would never live down all the criticism...Fortunately Mj came back and changed all the talk back to championships.

Pippen and Barkley are both legends, but Pippen has gotta be joking to accuse someone else of being selfish....
Did you read the quote. He said Barkley had no dedication. And that he expected more from a player of his caliber. And you mention one incident that involves Pippen. Barkley was a known malcontent and cancer wherever he went. Even on the dreamteam.

Ive been saying for the longest that Charles Barkley was overrated. He was an awesome talent but never really maximized his potential

ProfessorMurder
06-29-2012, 06:40 PM

When Barkley wins 6 rings he can talk.

Round Mound
06-29-2012, 06:43 PM
When Barkley wins 6 rings he can talk.

When you are the 2nd Fiddle of a Team You Don`t Talk At All

OldSchoolBBall
06-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Did you read the quote. He said Barkley had no dedication. And that he expected more from a player of his caliber. And you mention one incident that involves Pippen. Barkley was a known malcontent and cancer wherever he went. Even on the dreamteam.

Ive been saying for the longest that Charles Barkley was overrated. He was an awesome talent but never really maximized his potential

You also said that Pippen was better than Barkley prime vs. prime, which is just a complete farce and shows how little attention anyone should pay to you where Pippen is concerned.

BMOGEFan
06-29-2012, 06:54 PM

ISH...the place to use stats as the final argument for player comparisons.

97 bulls
06-29-2012, 07:28 PM
You also said that Pippen was better than Barkley prime vs. prime, which is just a complete farce and shows how little attention anyone should pay to you where Pippen is concerned.
So whats your point. What i said concurs with what Pippen said, a few other posters on here and is just common knowledge.

When we had that Pippen/Barkley convrsation, I distinctly stated Id chose Pippen over Barkley cuz Barkley was bad as far as his conditioning, he didnt take playing defense serious, and waas an overall cancer.

I also said Barkley was one of the greatest talents in the game. And due to his issues lost out on maximizing his potential.

97 bulls
06-29-2012, 07:30 PM
When you are the 2nd Fiddle of a Team You Don`t Talk At All
He seemed to talk just fine in those interviews. It obviously got Barkleys attention cuz he felt the need to address the situation.

Human Error
06-29-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't know if Barkley had no desire to win or not, but at the very least Pippen is right in pointing out that it takes playing defense even for star players to win the whole thing. Barkley is one of the worst defending power forwards in NBA history and defense is more than just grabbing defensive rebounds. That's why Karl Malone is a better player than Barkley because Malone was an elite defender as well, Karl Malone would've won multiple championships had he got to play with Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Danny Manning, Cedric Ceballos etc.

Round Mound
06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I don't know if Barkley had no desire to win or not, but at the very least Pippen is right in pointing out that it takes playing defense even for star players to win the whole thing. Barkley is one of the worst defending power forwards in NBA history and defense is more than just grabbing defensive rebounds. That's why Karl Malone is a better player than Barkley because Malone was an elite defender as well, Karl Malone would've won multiple championships had he got to play with Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Danny Manning, Cedric Ceballos etc.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm :no:

When Malone Plays Clutch in the Play-Offs He Can Talk...O But Yeah...Malone Was NEVER a Superstar Clutch Player in the Play-Offs. Ever.

Malone was a Good Defender NOT A GREAT ONE...while Barkley was Above Average.

His DRT was Just a Bit Better than Chucks While CHucks ORT In their Primes Just Blows By Malone

Rasheed1
06-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Charles had plenty of dedication and he wasnt a malcontent everywhere he went... Thats just false...

he was great player who became a problem when he sensed his teams didnt want to win... He did dumb things in those instances, but he wasnt a cancer...

He sure as hell wasnt a cancer in phoenix. Thats team was good enough to beat anybody but the 93 bulls..

Charles was a great leader for that team... And this coming from a 6er fan. Charles wrecked our team when he sensed the front office wasnt serious about winning.. I was mad at him for that... but he was right about the front office.. they werent serious..

Charles has a big mouth and says some things that make you scratch your head, be he was hardly overrated. He was beast, and thats just a fact.

Asukal
06-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Barkley is greater than Pippen as a player but what Scottie said is probably true. Barkley never showed he had the hunger to win it all. :D

Thunderstruck
06-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Malcontent? Maybe. Cancer? No. Especially not on the Dream Team. He may have been a lazy big mouth, but everyone off the court loved him.

Deuce Bigalow
06-29-2012, 09:58 PM
u mad Round Mound?

DurantFor40
06-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Barkley was a very poor mans Blake Griffin. Sad this guy still gets talked about. :facepalm

eliteballer
06-29-2012, 10:19 PM
I can't believe people are actually trying to put Pippen on Barkley's level let alone higher.

There was a time when Barkley was spoken of alongside the Jordans, Magics, Olajuwons.

You can truly tell who actually watched ball back then and who....pretends

Thunderstruck
06-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Barkley was a very poor mans Blake Griffin. Sad this guy still gets talked about. :facepalm

How old are you, out of curiosity?

MisterAmazing
06-29-2012, 11:17 PM

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

:facepalm

unbreakable
06-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Matt Bonner is more of a defensive threat than Barkley was

Linspired
06-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Barkley sh!!!!ts all over pippen. Barkley is the 2nd greatest PF of all time.

ImmortalD24
06-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Barkley sh!!!!ts all over pippen. Barkley is the 2nd greatest PF of all time.
:no:

That title belongs to:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2hi1qvl.jpg

(The Big Ticket)

Linspired
06-30-2012, 01:36 AM
i'll take barkley over KG anytime anyday. better rebounder, much better scorer, better post player, more clutch, and can create his own shot at will. KG is clearly a better defender, but i'm not buying 'barkley was a terrible defender' crap. and yes, KG is 6ft 11 and barkley is 6ft 5, but that didn't change the fact that barkley was a routine 25/12/4 guy and great playoff performer. barkley always elevated his game in the playoffs to another level.

1. duncan
2. barkley
3. malone
4. kg
5. mchale

for me

ImmortalD24
06-30-2012, 01:59 AM
KG raw numbers wasn't too shabby in his prime from 99-08 season (10 years) he averaged 22ppg/12.2reb/4.8 assists as well as 22.3ppg/12.7reb/4.5 assists in the playoffs.

Not only is KG an elite scorer, passer and rebounder (much like Barkley.. on lower TO's), but he also gives you DPOY level defense for 10+ seasons, innate jumpshooting from anywhere inside the 3pt line (underrated aspect of the game). I'm not even going to get into intangibles like unselfishness, loyalty, leadership etc - an even bigger disparity between the two.

Give me KG over Barkley as the best or 2nd best player on my team every single time.

My top 5 PF's:

1. Tim Duncan (personally.. he's a center, but lets just ignore that for now)
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Karl Malone
4. Dirk Nowitzki
5. Charles Barkley

scandisk_
06-30-2012, 02:17 AM

try harder :rolleyes:

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2012/03/Charles-Barkley.jpg

Linspired
06-30-2012, 02:23 AM
KG raw numbers wasn't too shabby in his prime from 99-08 season (10 years) he averaged 22ppg/12.2reb/4.8 assists as well as 22.3ppg/12.7reb/4.5 assists in the playoffs.

Not only is KG an elite scorer, passer and rebounder (much like Barkley.. on lower TO's), but he also gives you DPOY level defense for 10+ seasons, innate jumpshooting from anywhere inside the 3pt line (underrated aspect of the game). I'm not even going to get into intangibles like unselfishness, loyalty, leadership etc - an even bigger disparity between the two.

Give me KG over Barkley as the best or 2nd best player on my team every single time.

My top 5 PF's:

1. Tim Duncan (personally.. he's a center, but lets just ignore that for now)
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Karl Malone
4. Dirk Nowitzki
5. Charles Barkley

KG was not an elite scorer. if KG was an elite scorer, the Barkley is elite x 2. and KG was a career loser before he joined other big 2. if KG was playing in 80's and 90's, he would be regarded as 3rd best in his own position without a doubt.

and dirk over barkley? how so? let's be honest here. dirk, for the longest time was a SF trapped in a 6ft 11 frame. and even with that insane fadeaway jumper of his, he wasn't even a better scorer than barkley was.

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 02:24 AM
I learned all I need to know about Barkley when he said "as long as Larry Bird is in the league, there will be a worse defender than me".

He didnt give a shit about defense which is half of basketball and made it known. And that along with his work ethic cost him championships.

Linspired
06-30-2012, 02:28 AM
I learned all I need to know about Barkley when he said "as long as Larry Bird is in the league, there will be a worse defender than me".

He didnt give a shit about defense which is half of basketball and made it known. And that along with his work ethic cost him championships.

barkley always hated Bird.
he recently said bron is much better than bird too.

LeFraud James
06-30-2012, 02:28 AM
u mad Round Mound?

He's fuming right now.

Inb4 he increases font size even more

Thunderstruck
06-30-2012, 02:31 AM

Barkley doesn't hate anybody. Stop being dramatic. Putting Lebron on Bird's level, talent wise, I think is acceptable.

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 02:32 AM
So?

Think about what hes saying. According to him theres only one guy in all the NBA thats a worse defender than he is. IE hes a shitty defender and knows it and doesnt care.

Theres no way i would want a player with that mindset on my team

tpols
06-30-2012, 02:38 AM
So?

Think about what hes saying. According to him theres only one guy in all the NBA thats a worse defender than he is. IE hes a shitty defender and knows it and doesnt care.

yea.. its one thing when a player just isnt good at defense, because he isnt quick enough or strong enough or whatever. But when a player just doesnt care about defense? It just sends the wrong message to the entire team. Most superstars take possesions off and dont put their 100% into D because they have other obligations to fill like scoring and facilitating, but I feel like Charles had an attitude that went past that. Plus he was playing an absolutely critical position on defense. You cant win with a 6'5 relatively short armed guy as your anchor down low. There's no consistent shot altering presence to make players fear driving the lane.

Defense is half the game.. it cant just be dismissed.

Linspired
06-30-2012, 02:41 AM
So?

let's not go there. barkley never was a shitty defender. :no:

barkley wasn't a great defender, but his freak strength and nasty mentality was enough to be called 'good' defender.

and bird's shitty defense didn't stop him from getting 3 rings.

Linspired
06-30-2012, 02:43 AM
barkley may took a play off here and there during regular season, but he usually showed up in the playoffs. that's all it matters. at the end of the day, barkley was top 5 player in his generation which is considered the greatest era in the NBA.

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 02:57 AM
let's not go there. barkley never was a shitty defender. :no:

barkley wasn't a great defender, but his freak strength and nasty mentality was enough to be called 'good' defender.

and bird's shitty defense didn't stop him from getting 3 rings.
Lol what? He himself said he was one of the worse defenders in the league. In fact, according to him, there was only one guy that was worse than him.

Couple that with his bad work ethic and that why I say Id take pippen over him. Barkley was a supertalented player. And thats what he got by on

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 02:59 AM
yea.. its one thing when a player just isnt good at defense, because he isnt quick enough or strong enough or whatever. But when a player just doesnt care about defense? It just sends the wrong message to the entire team. Most superstars take possesions off and dont put their 100% into D because they have other obligations to fill like scoring and facilitating, but I feel like Charles had an attitude that went past that. Plus he was playing an absolutely critical position on defense. You cant win with a 6'5 relatively short armed guy as your anchor down low. There's no consistent shot altering presence to make players fear driving the lane.

Exactly

Round Mound
06-30-2012, 03:35 AM
i'll take barkley over KG anytime anyday. better rebounder, much better scorer, better post player, more clutch, and can create his own shot at will. KG is clearly a better defender, but i'm not buying 'barkley was a terrible defender' crap. and yes, KG is 6ft 11 and barkley is 6ft 5, but that didn't change the fact that barkley was a routine 25/12/4 guy and great playoff performer. barkley always elevated his game in the playoffs to another level.

1. duncan
2. barkley
3. malone
4. kg
5. mchale

for me

:applause:

Lets also not forget tha Garnett is around 240 lbs and Barkley was usually around 260 lbs +. So Strength and Weight as a 6`4 3/4 PF Was Unreal

stevieming
06-30-2012, 04:25 AM

when blake can get the same rebound average then you can talk, otherwise shut up.

OldSchoolBBall
06-30-2012, 09:51 AM

Huh? Barkley had very long arms for his size. And yes, he could have very easily won in '93 and '94. And not nearly every team that wins a title has a shot-altering presence inside. Dudes are acting like Barkley just was invisible on defense and got lit up on the regular. No. I'm pretty sure he held Malone (the best scoring PF besides Barkley of his era) below his averages from '88-'93.

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Huh? Barkley had very long arms for his size. And yes, he could have very easily won in '93 and '94. And not nearly every team that wins a title has a shot-altering presence inside. Dudes are acting like Barkley just was invisible on defense and got lit up on the regular. No. I'm pretty sure he held Malone (the best scoring PF besides Barkley of his era) below his averages from '88-'93.
Barkley himself stated he was a bad defender. Nothing more really needs to be said. But youre being too simplistic. Barkley was extremely lazy on the defensive end. He didnt put much effort into rotations, got routinely beat down the court. He was just bad.

Even his man defense. Was it Barkley defending Malone on a consistant basis, or was it the center defending the oppositions best low post scorer. Similar to Bird and Mchale. And note that I stated CONSISTENT. Im not saying Barkley didnt defend Malone ever but not consistently to the point of crediting him with "stopping" him.

jstern
06-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Whether true or not, dick move by Pippen.

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Whether true or not, dick move by Pippen.
Including Jordan was definitely a bitch move by Pippen.

mrhoopfan
06-30-2012, 01:28 PM
This is ridiculous.....Barkley overrated????????? For those actually old enough to have seen the original dream team play, Charless was arguably the BEST PERFORMER during the 1992 Olympics for that US squad. In his prime he was on another level!!!!

scandisk_
06-30-2012, 01:33 PM

This.

People tend to forget how good Barkley was (back in the late 80's-early 90's). Dude was like the bron of the 90's.

Linspired
06-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Lol what? He himself said he was one of the worse defenders in the league. In fact, according to him, there was only one guy that was worse than him.

Couple that with his bad work ethic and that why I say Id take pippen over him. Barkley was a supertalented player. And thats what he got by on

past players said alot of weird things. drexler thinks he is faster and stronger than MJ. larry bird thinks he couldn't hang with today's athletes too.

i bet barkley thinks he has a pretty golf swing.

Linspired
06-30-2012, 02:33 PM
for some strange reason Pippen gets a pass for saying dumb things. he opens up his mouth says all kinds of things and gets away with it.

MiseryCityTexas
06-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Barkley is so ovverrated here it's silly..

the guy destroyed every team he went to with his bad attitude and poor work ethic..

great TV persona...but come on...there is a reason his teams self destructed every year.

:biggums: he single handedly took an average Sun's team to the finals.

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 02:39 PM
past players said alot of weird things. drexler thinks he is faster and stronger than MJ. larry bird thinks he couldn't hang with today's athletes too.

i bet barkley thinks he has a pretty golf swing.
Yeah but players never or rarely are that candid about their deficiencies. And he said it as if it wasnt a big deal. Thats what concerned wouldve concerned me. Its clear he gave 110% on the offensive end, but 10% on the defensive side of the ball.

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 02:42 PM
for some strange reason Pippen gets a pass for saying dumb things. he opens up his mouth says all kinds of things and gets away with it.
Lol Pippen never gets a pass for saying stupid stuff. Give an example

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 02:46 PM
:biggums: he single handedly took an average Sun's team to the finals.
That team was far from avg. Kevin Johnson, Tom Chambers, Dan Marjle, Cedric Ceballos, Mark West, Danny Ainge. Thats a damn good team without Barkley

Linspired
06-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Lol Pippen never gets a pass for saying stupid stuff. Give an example

lived in chicago all my life. pippen gets pass all the time. seriously. let's say tmac or vince carter acts like scottie on the court and opens their mouth like scottie did. media would bury them for being egotistical attention seeking diva.

but all is forgiven because scottie is a 6 time champ with a good personality.
we all love scottie, the greatest robin ever, lovable 2nd fiddle, so we let him do his thing. i love the dude, but if i was pistons or knicks fans i would hate his guts.

Linspired
06-30-2012, 03:14 PM
That team was far from avg. Kevin Johnson, Tom Chambers, Dan Marjle, Cedric Ceballos, Mark West, Danny Ainge. Thats a damn good team without Barkley

still not a championship caliber team. barkley took them to a whole new level in 93. he got air jordaned.

97 bulls
06-30-2012, 05:22 PM
lived in chicago all my life. pippen gets pass all the time. seriously. let's say tmac or vince carter acts like scottie on the court and opens their mouth like scottie did. media would bury them for being egotistical attention seeking diva.

but all is forgiven because scottie is a 6 time champ with a good personality.
we all love scottie, the greatest robin ever, lovable 2nd fiddle, so we let him do his thing. i love the dude, but if i was pistons or knicks fans i would hate his guts.
Again, what are you talking about? Give an example of Pippen opening his mouth and putting his foot in it with no recourse.