PDA

View Full Version : Construct a Boston Celtics Team that Beats the Miami Heat Next Season

BallsOut
06-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Here's your template:

PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley | Johnson
SF: Pierce | Moore
PF: Williams
C: KG

You have about 18mill to work with.

I'll start:

Jeff Green (S&T) + Johnson + Williams + Moore to Atlanta for Josh Smith. OJ Mayo for MLE. Kaman for 2 year 4 mill per season deal. Watson, Hill, and Azubuike for vet minimums.

Celtics
PG: Rajon Rondo | Earl Watson
SG: Avery Bradley | OJ Mayo
SF: Paul Pierce | Grant Hill | Keleena Azubuike
PF: Josh Smith | Jared Sullinger
C: Kevin Garnett | Chris Kaman | Fab Melo

:bowdown:

AlonzoGOAT
06-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Trade the entire franchise for LeBron.

WeGetRing2012
06-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Celtics are coming out of the East next year. :(

Ray Allen will walk but they might sign Mayo... Which gives exactly what they need more- consistent scoring.

And the Rookies are legit.

G-Funk
06-30-2012, 04:30 PM
that's a tall order...If u had a time machine!

Perry Jones III
06-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Get Toney Douglas, Scal, Kwame, Walton, and Morrison at all cost.

Sakkreth
06-30-2012, 04:35 PM
If LeBron is LeBron in those series, you just can't .

StateOfMind12
06-30-2012, 04:36 PM
If LeBron is LeBron in those series, you just can't .
The Heat were on their way to losing that series had Bosh not returned and Lebron was having a great series. Everyone knows LeBron will get his but it's a matter of stopping the other players like Wade and Bosh and controlling the boards.

Nash
06-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Rondo
Gordon
Melo
Kevin Love
Howard

Thats what they need.

DStebb716
06-30-2012, 04:42 PM
With the template, there is no way for Boston to beat the Heat next year.

jalbert009
06-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Here's your template:

PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley | Johnson
SF: Pierce | Moore
PF: Williams
C: KG

You have about 18mill to work with.

I'll start:

Jeff Green (S&T) + Johnson + Williams + Moore to Atlanta for Josh Smith. OJ Mayo for MLE. Kaman for 2 year 4 mill per season deal. Watson, Hill, and Azubuike for vet minimums.

Celtics
PG: Rajon Rondo | Earl Watson
SG: Avery Bradley | OJ Mayo
SF: Paul Pierce | Grant Hill | Keleena Azubuike
PF: Josh Smith | Jared Sullinger
C: Kevin Garnett | Chris Kaman | Fab Melo

Asik/Melo/Stiemsma
Garnett/Sullinger/Johnson
Pierce/Green
Mayo/Bradley/Moore
Rondo/Bradley/Dooling

Asik 15M/3years
Stiemsma 5M/3years
Green 13M/2years (2nd year Team Option)
Mayo 18M/3years
Dooling Vet min/1year

I think this is realistic.

Derka
06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Rondo
Gordon
Melo
Kevin Love
Howard

Thats what they need.

F*ck that. We had one of those pieces, plus a bunch of other busted dudes playing good ball and we were one game from the Finals.

Celts have already proven Lebron's no match in a seven-game series when he's stuck on an island on his own. Eliminate the other weapons, the Heat lose. That's the team Doc and Danny are putting together for these next two years.

Donnybrook
06-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Asik/Melo/Stiemsma
Garnett/Sullinger/Johnson
Pierce/Green
Mayo/Bradley/Moore
Rondo/Bradley/Dooling

Asik 15M/3years
Stiemsma 5M/3years
Green 13M/2years (2nd year Team Option)
Mayo 18M/3years
Dooling Vet min/1year

I think this is realistic.

Yes.

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Edit: I have no idea why this board isn't letting me post Green's salary, but it's 3 years/$15 million with the third year as a Team Option.

Here is what I would realistically want the Celtics to look like next season:
* Free Agent Signings
* Resigned 2011-2012 Season Players
* Rookie Signings

PG: Rajon Rondo/Kirk Hinrich (2 years/$6 million)/Patty Mills (1 year/$1.2 million)
SG: Avery Bradley/Jason Terry (2 years/$14 million)/DeShawn Stevenson (1 year/$2 million)
SF: Paul Pierce/Jeff Green for 2 years/$10 million/Mickael Pietrus (2 years/$5 million)
PF: Kevin Garnett (3 years/$33 million)/Jeff Green/Jared Sullinger (3 year/$3.3 million)
C: Spencers Hawes (3 years/$18 million)/Fab Melo (2 years/$2 million)/Greg Stiemsma (Player Option, $1 million)
---------------------------------------
Players Waived: JaJuan Johnson

Two words: DAT DEFENSE. Stevenson/Pierce/Pietrus/Rondo/Bradley/KG? :bowdown:

This puts Boston just over $10 million over the cap, paying just $10 million extra in taxes through the 2012-2013 season. With this lineup, they can make a huge push for another ring with a combination of youth and championship caliber experience. Then, try and deal some of the expirers to get closer to the cap when the 2013-2014 season rolls around.

A lot of people think Kirk Hinrich is a tough sell for the price I'm suggesting, but a lot of those people forget the reason he was making so much to begin with. The guy was signed to a five-year, $47 million dollar extension when he was still delivering the goods in Chicago. A perfect comparison to his situation is Mike Bibby, who was rewarded for his high level of play only a few short years ago but went downhill fast.

Hinrich's play has fallen off considerably and he'd get a great backup role playing for a contender.

Patty Mills is an under-the-radar talent that somebody will take a flyer on and luck out with tremendously. Boston would have an incredible player rounding out their PG rotation.

Jason Terry may get a better contract elsewhere, but he probably wants to play for a contender/elite. Boston has the cap space and the opportunity for minutes, with Ray Allen gone and Avery Bradley pushed into the starting lineup. If Bradley's shoulder injuries linger, Terry could find himself in the starting lineup frequently.

Besides being a great defender with championship experience, DeShawn Stevenson still carries the unofficial title of "LeBron Stopper". While I think that's a bit of a stretch, you can't ignore his ability to frustrate LeBron with his hardnosed defense - hell, he's been doing it since LeBron came into the league. While he might be looking for some long term, the guy has to consider his age and realize he just wasted a year of his dwindling career on a bottom-feeder.

Jeff Green signs with Boston because he's been within the teams inner circle, even as RFA, and Ainge loves him. I'm not sold on him, but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's a Celtic. :confusedshrug:

Mickael Pietrus is an excellent defender and can stroke the 3-ball with relative consistency... Boston will need all the perimeter shooting they can get if/when Ray Allen jumps ship.

The biggest stretch of all may be with Spencer Hawes and his desire to sign for a contract of this size. He may want more years and demand more cash per season in a barren landscape of serviceable centers.

BallsOut
06-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Edit: I have no idea why this board isn't letting me post Green's salary, but it's 3 years/$15 million with the third year as a Team Option.

Here is what I would realistically want the Celtics to look like next season:
* Free Agent Signings
* Resigned 2011-2012 Season Players
* Rookie Signings

PG: Rajon Rondo/Kirk Hinrich (2 years/$6 million)/Patty Mills (1 year/$1.2 million)
SG: Avery Bradley/Jason Terry (2 years/$14 million)/DeShawn Stevenson (1 year/$2 million)
SF: Paul Pierce/Jeff Green for 2 years/$10 million/Mickael Pietrus (2 years/$5 million)
PF: Kevin Garnett (3 years/$33 million)/Jeff Green/Jared Sullinger (3 year/$3.3 million)
C: Spencers Hawes (3 years/$18 million)/Fab Melo (2 years/$2 million)/Greg Stiemsma (Player Option, $1 million)
---------------------------------------
Players Waived: JaJuan Johnson

Two words: DAT DEFENSE. Stevenson/Pierce/Pietrus/Rondo/Bradley/KG? :bowdown:

This puts Boston just over $10 million over the cap, paying just $10 million extra in taxes through the 2012-2013 season. With this lineup, they can make a huge push for another ring with a combination of youth and championship caliber experience. Then, try and deal some of the expirers to get closer to the cap when the 2013-2014 season rolls around.

A lot of people think Kirk Hinrich is a tough sell for the price I'm suggesting, but a lot of those people forget the reason he was making so much to begin with. The guy was signed to a five-year, $47 million dollar extension when he was still delivering the goods in Chicago. A perfect comparison to his situation is Mike Bibby, who was rewarded for his high level of play only a few short years ago but went downhill fast.

Hinrich's play has fallen off considerably and he'd get a great backup role playing for a contender.

Patty Mills is an under-the-radar talent that somebody will take a flyer on and luck out with tremendously. Boston would have an incredible player rounding out their PG rotation.

Jason Terry may get a better contract elsewhere, but he probably wants to play for a contender/elite. Boston has the cap space and the opportunity for minutes, with Ray Allen gone and Avery Bradley pushed into the starting lineup. If Bradley's shoulder injuries linger, Terry could find himself in the starting lineup frequently.

Besides being a great defender with championship experience, DeShawn Stevenson still carries the unofficial title of "LeBron Stopper". While I think that's a bit of a stretch, you can't ignore his ability to frustrate LeBron with his hardnosed defense - hell, he's been doing it since LeBron came into the league. While he might be looking for some long term, the guy has to consider his age and realize he just wasted a year of his dwindling career on a bottom-feeder.

Jeff Green signs with Boston because he's been within the teams inner circle, even as RFA, and Ainge loves him. I'm not sold on him, but it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's a Celtic. :confusedshrug:

Mickael Pietrus is an excellent defender and can stroke the 3-ball with relative consistency... Boston will need all the perimeter shooting they can get if/when Ray Allen jumps ship.

The biggest stretch of all may be with Spencer Hawes and his desire to sign for a contract of this size. He may want more years and demand more cash per season in a barren landscape of serviceable centers.

Stevenson is a good suggestion. I almost put him in place of Azubuike.

You gotta think San Antonio isn't letting Mills go after that terrific season.

Terry shall always be referred to as the Miami Heat killer. However, I think Mayo is a better all around player and a lot younger so he'd be worth throwing the money at.

Hinrich and Watson are interchangable in my opinion. For some reason, Watson has always been the cheaper to be had player throughout their careers, but having seen both, it's really a wash. A plus for Watson is his terrific 3pt shooting. I am unsure about bringing Pietrus back, wasn't his 3pt shooting very unconsistent last season?

Lastly, I prefer Kaman over Hawes since Kaman should come a bit cheaper.

Harison
06-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Get fair reffs. Done.

BallsOut
06-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Get fair reffs. Done.

Let me rephrase.

Construct a Boston Celtics Team that Beats the Miami Heat and the Refs Next Season

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 05:16 PM
I'd take Mayo if he doesn't expect a big contract, which I think he might. It's his first free agency and he'll want to get paid.

DeShawn Stevenson and Jason Terry SCREAM Boston Celtics to me. They were carved from the same rock as guys like Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo and Paul Pierce.

Chrono90
06-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Get fair reffs. Done.

true

BallsOut
06-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I'd take Mayo if he doesn't expect a big contract, which I think he might. It's his first free agency and he'll want to get paid.

DeShawn Stevenson and Jason Terry SCREAM Boston Celtics to me. They were carved from the same rock as guys like Kevin Garnett, Rajon Rondo and Paul Pierce.

Alright, how's this?

PG: Rondo/Watson
SG: Bradley/Terry
SF: Pierce/Hill/Stevenson
PF: Bass/Sullinger
C: KG/Hawes/Melo

Derka
06-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Alright, how's this?

We just tossed Stiemsma an offer, so he's gonna be taking the back-up minutes at the center spot. When he gets into inevitable foul trouble, that's when Melo will get some burn. Bass is gonna be looking for more years than I think Danny will want to give him so we keep some flexibility.

PF: KG/Sullinger
C: Hawes/Stiemsma/Melo

Feels more likely. As AMI was saying, KG can slide to the five in short spurts. Meanwhile, I really like Hawes starting at the 5 and letting KG go back to his natural position. I hope Danny attacks Hawes...I'm tired of hearing Kamen's name getting thrown in.

swi7ch
06-30-2012, 05:34 PM
CP3
Kobe
Durant
Griffin
Howard

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Alright, how's this?

I still think Chicago exercises their option for Watson with Rose out. Without Watson, they have no other prospective PG options. Maybe they get serious about chasing Hinrich but Hinrich is not the same player who went 7 games with Chicago in 2009's first round. I can't imagine they feel terribly confident rolling him out as their starting point.

Bradley/Terry looks good, with Stevenson alternating between the 2/3 when needed. I wouldn't mind Hill signing with Boston at all but the verdict is out on whether he leaves Phoenix (which hinges almost entirely on Nash's plans, I'm sure). I still think Green signing with Boston is one of the only sure things about Boston's summer.

Bass is as good as gone too. He upped his value with that deep Playoff run and showed he's more than just the shoddy backup in Orlando. I can see Brooklyn floating Bass an offer and a chance to start if Humphries goes someplace else.

BlackWhiteGreen
06-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I think Bass will get more than he's worth. I'm fine with having garbage start at centre because KG will probably get most of the minutes, and Green/Sullinger/Pierce can take the rest of the minutes at the 4. I also think Ray gets more than he's worth, so I'd aim for Mayo.

BallsOut
06-30-2012, 05:43 PM
I still think Chicago exercises their option for Watson with Rose out. Without Watson, they have no other prospective PG options. Maybe they get serious about chasing Hinrich but Hinrich is not the same player who went 7 games with Chicago in 2009's first round. I can't imagine they feel terribly confident rolling him out as their starting point.

Bradley/Terry looks good, with Stevenson alternating between the 2/3 when needed. I wouldn't mind Hill signing with Boston at all but the verdict is out on whether he leaves Phoenix (which hinges almost entirely on Nash's plans, I'm sure). I still think Green signing with Boston is one of the only sure things about Boston's summer.

Bass is as good as gone too. He upped his value with that deep Playoff run and showed he's more than just the shoddy backup in Orlando. I can see Brooklyn floating Bass an offer and a chance to start if Humphries goes someplace else.

I've heard Hinrich is the official target for the backup PG due to nostalgia. I think they've done all but let Watson walk at this point. Plus they still have Lucas.

Watson would come a lot cheaper than Hinrich so that's a plus for Boston. Bass is more useful than Green to me at this point. If I had to let one of the two walk, I keep Bass. He can hit the jumper just as good as KG/Hawes which is needed.

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 05:46 PM
I've heard Hinrich is the official target for the backup PG due to nostalgia. I think they've done all but let Watson walk at this point. Plus they still have Lucas.

Watson would come a lot cheaper than Hinrich so that's a plus for Boston. Bass is more useful than Green to me at this point. If I had to let one of the two walk, I keep Bass. He can hit the jumper just as good as KG/Hawes which is needed.

Lucas is a free agent. They could bring him back but he's hardly the kind of guy you want starting all 82 games for a team that was poised to at least make the ECF last season (prior to Rose going down, obviously).

Chicago has a lot of interesting decisions to make this off season, almost all related to the back court.

talkingconch
06-30-2012, 05:48 PM
CP3
Kobe
Durant
Griffin
Howard
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30988509/lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-350.gif

BallsOut
06-30-2012, 05:48 PM
We just tossed Stiemsma an offer, so he's gonna be taking the back-up minutes at the center spot. When he gets into inevitable foul trouble, that's when Melo will get some burn. Bass is gonna be looking for more years than I think Danny will want to give him so we keep some flexibility.

PF: KG/Sullinger

Feels more likely. As AMI was saying, KG can slide to the five in short spurts. Meanwhile, I really like Hawes starting at the 5 and letting KG go back to his natural position. I hope Danny attacks Hawes...I'm tired of hearing Kamen's name getting thrown in.

Most of Boston's successful playoff run last season was due to the resurgence of KG. And it was no coincidence. KG was well rested for much of the season, rarely ever playing major minutes until the playoffs. So letting Bass go means KG will have to play more minutes at the 4 in his place in the regular season, and that's a lot of minutes unless Doc puts his trust in the rookie Sullinger. I would prefer to keep Bass for just that very reason, a fresh Kevin Garnett for the playoffs.

PF: KG/Bass/Sullinger

Maybe Dallas can work a S&T deal for Terry to Boston with Green, Moore, Johnson and Williams going the other way. Terry can play 1 or 2, and Stevenson can play both 2 and 3, pretty solid rotation me thinks.

Grant Hill is a vital pickup. Even at his age, he was one of the top individual defenders last season guarding 1,2,3 and 4s.

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Most of Boston's successful playoff run last season was due to the resurgence of KG. And it was no coincidence. KG was well rested for much of the season, rarely ever playing major minutes until the playoffs. So letting Bass go means KG will have to play more minutes at the 4 in his place in the regular season, and that's a lot of minutes unless Doc puts his trust in the rookie Sullinger. I would prefer to keep Bass for just that very reason, a fresh Kevin Garnett for the playoffs.

Maybe Dallas can work a S&T deal for Terry to Boston with Green, Moore, Johnson and Williams going the other way. Terry can play 1 or 2, and Stevenson can play both 2 and 3, pretty solid rotation me thinks.

Grant Hill is a vital pickup. Even at his age, he was one of the top individual defenders last season guarding 1,2,3 and 4s.

You can't combine sign-and-trade players. Green and Moore aren't under contract with Boston.

ProfessorMurder
06-30-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm really interested to see what Ainge and management does. Hurry up and start free agency!

BlackWhiteGreen
06-30-2012, 06:54 PM
You can't combine sign-and-trade players. Green and Moore aren't under contract with Boston.

I thought Moore was? Williams might be as well.

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I thought Moore was? Williams might be as well.

Nah, Moore and Williams aren't on the books for 2012-2013. The only players Boston have on the books right now, if you include KG's new contract to be signed in a couple weeks:

Kevin Garnett
Paul Pierce
Rajon Rondo
Avery Bradley
JaJuan Johnson
Greg Stiemsma (qualifying offer)

They had Brandon Bass but he opted out of his player option to test free agency.

LikeABosh
06-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Won't be realistically done. It's lookin like a breeze for the Heat through the EC

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 07:09 PM
I feel like they only signed Williams so they could meet the league quota of players on a roster. Signing a guy for that and having to eat his contract for the second year seems... odd.

BallsOut
06-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Actually, I feel like Mayo is a lot better option than Terry at this point and worth the extra 1-2 mill per season if that's what it would take for the Celtics to land him.

Mayo is a legit SG. Terry is a bit undersized at SG. and Mayo is only 24 vs. Terry who is 10 years older at 34.

SG: Bradley/Mayo

Mayo can slide to 1 or 2, Stevenson can play 1 or 2. Now that's a solid lineup.

BallsOut
06-30-2012, 07:31 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/24map9l.png

:confusedshrug:

Clear your cache maybe..?

Notice how Shaquille O'Neal and Rasheed Wallace haven't played for the Celtics for at least 3 years. It's time to clear your cache dude. :oldlol:

BlackWhiteGreen
06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/24map9l.png

:confusedshrug:

Clear your cache maybe..?

Yours looks like an older page. The page I'm looking at doesn't have Bass' player option on there.

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zpoc9s.png

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Notice how Shaquille O'Neal and Rasheed Wallace haven't played for the Celtics for at least 3 years. It's time to clear your cache dude. :oldlol:

The length of their contract is still on the site. It has nothing to do with a cache. :facepalm

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Yours looks like an older page. The page I'm looking at doesn't have Bass' player option on there.

Weird. I looked at it on two different types of browsers. One has his option, one doesn't. Shaq and Sheed are still there though, and E'Twaun and Williams do have cash coming to them this season. Weird.

This browser *****, I guess.

JohnnySic
06-30-2012, 07:46 PM
All they need to do is resign Green and Pietrus, add Mayo to replace RA, and get 1-2 more bigs (perhaps Wilcox as one?).

They key is health. At full strength they are the better team.

Human Error
06-30-2012, 07:51 PM
The Heat were on their way to losing that series.
Take that weak stuff out of here, the Heat won. And the series wouldn't have lasted long had Bosh played from the get go.

You Bulls fans are so hilarious. :oldlol:

BlackWhiteGreen
06-30-2012, 07:59 PM
All they need to do is resign Green and Pietrus, add Mayo to replace RA, and get 1-2 more bigs (perhaps Wilcox as one?).

They key is health. At full strength they are the better team.

Once Green gets his sea legs under him, he will give LeBron trouble. He is just as tall, long, and athletic...

Miguel gets no minutes if Mayo and Green sign. None at all. He does seem to love playing in Boston though. If Wilcox signs, we actually already have 6 bigs. Somehow think we'll be buying out at least Williams, though.

If our top 7 guys for the playoffs were Rondo, Bradley, Pierce, Garnett, Wilcox, Green and Mayo we're contenders. If Sullinger can play even close to his ability he'll be a valuable 8th.

CelticBaller
06-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Rondo/Dooling
Bradley/Mayo
Pierce/Green/Pietrus
KG/Sullinger
Mcgee/Stiemer/melo

But KG's deal fvck up my dreams :( :cry:

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Rondo/Dooling
Bradley/Mayo
Pierce/Green/Pietrus
KG/Sullinger
Mcgee/Stiemer/melo

But KG's deal fvck up my dreams :( :cry:

If you're somehow against the deal you need to reevaluate. For what KG offers this team, $11 million is a steal as far as I'm concerned. You went from having three inflated contracts down to one starting with the 2012-2013 season and you've still got roughly $17 million to spend before you even hit the cap.

CelticBaller
06-30-2012, 08:12 PM
If you're somehow against the deal you need to reevaluate. For what KG offers this team, $11 million is a steal as far as I'm concerned. You went from having three inflated contracts down to one starting with the 2012-2013 season and you've still got roughly $17 million to spend before you even hit the cap.
I just wanted to Mcgee in the Celtics :( , now the only way to get him is though a sign a trade because He will be asking big bucks :(

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I just wanted to Mcgee in the Celtics :( , now the only way to get him is though a sign a trade because He will be asking big bucks :(

Denver isn't letting McGee go in the first place. They've already scheduled workouts for McGee and Mozgov with Hakeem this summer.

Raz
06-30-2012, 08:24 PM
A lot of people here are unsure how the cap works.

Currently, we have under contract (assuming we sign our 3 rookies):

CT: - / - / Melo
PF: Garnett/ Sullinger/ Johnson
SF: Pierce/ - / Joseph
SG: Bradley/ - / -
PG: Rondo / - / -

I'm assuming Allen, Green, Stiemsma, Moore and Pietrus are coming back:
CT: - / Stiemsma/ Melo
PF: Garnett/ Sullinger/ Johnson
SF: Pierce/ Green/ Joseph
SG: Bradley/ Allen/ Pietrus
PG: Rondo / - / Moore

We could round out the roster with Marcus Camby and Kirk Hinrich. And how would this look on our books?

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qckz02.png

ProfessorMurder
06-30-2012, 08:30 PM
^ I'd be all for Camby/Hinrich/Green/Ray(or someone else).

LiLharvard
06-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm really interested to see what Ainge and management does. Hurry up and start free agency!
Is there any realistic chance of getting kris hump

lebeast666
06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Injure LeBron :confusedshrug:

Raz
06-30-2012, 08:49 PM
^ I'd be all for Camby/Hinrich/Green/Ray(or someone else).

I really want to avoid Mayo like the plague. He said he doesn't care about our banners, he is a shot-jacker, can't guard shooting guards effectively (that's why Tony starts ahead of him) and he disappears when the going gets tough.

I think that line-up I detailed above gives us the best chance to continue our defensive domination. Camby is similar to KG in guarding the pick and roll, he just sucks at positional defense otherwise, but is a monster on the weakside - perfect compliment to KG. We can keep both their minutes down all season - Camby to about 26 mpg, and KG to 28-30 mpg, we would really need to trust Sully, Stiemsma and Green to play big minutes at the 4 and 5.

Perhaps our rotation would look like this (in terms of minutes)

CT: Camby (24)/ Garnett (12)/ Stiemsma (12) = 48
PF: Garnett (18)/ Green (12)/ Sullinger (18) = 48
SF: Pierce (30)/ Green (18) = 48
SG: Allen (24)/ Bradley (24) = 48
PG: Rondo (32)/ Hinrich (16) = 48

We keep the minutes down for the big 4, and develop our bench more while also limiting Camby and Hinrich's minutes. The goal is to feed Green, Bradley, Sullinger and Stiemsma a good chunk of minutes so they can be productive come playoff time.

Raz
06-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Is there any realistic chance of getting kris hump

C'mon man! Humphries, Mayo, Crawford, Kaman???
All these guys are bums. We need real players, guys that can play in an established system. All 4 of those guys are career losers. And all of them will expect bigger roles than what we're able to give them.

The reason I like Hinrich is because he can hit an open 3, defend 2's and point guards that aren't lightening bugs. He won't complain about being a back-up (see: Atlanta) and the less minutes he plays the more effective he is.
He is able to switch between the 1 and 2 and should form a nice back-court option with Bradley, Rondo or Allen. Flexibility!

Camby is the shot blocker and rebounder we need, and for his advanced age he's still quick up and down the floor. He is not as inept offensively as Perkins, so we're not left playing 4 on 5.

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure why people are still obsessed with stocking up on front court depth with Boston. One quality center is fantastic, but this isn't 2010 anymore and Dwight with Orlando isn't a huge obstacle. The reason I like my suggestion is because it gives the Celtics defensive options for LeBron and Wade. Sort of like how the Thunder ran out and traded for Perkins to try and contain Bynum in the post-season, Boston needs to run out and sign guys who have been known to give LeBron problems. Stop LeBron and you've improved your odds of beating Miami tremendously.

UConnCeltics
06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Do a S&T centered around Jeff Green and JaJaun Johnson for Charlie V and Prince. MLE on Camby. Give Allen a shiny 2 year deal.

Rondo/Vet Min./Moore
Allen/Bradley/Pietrus
Pierce/Prince/Joseph
KG/Charlie V/Sullinger
Camby/Stiems/Melo

Should be good enough to push the Heat.

Stuckey
06-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Do a S&T centered around Jeff Green and JaJaun Johnson for Charlie V and Prince. MLE on Camby. Give Allen a shiny 2 year deal.

Rondo/Vet Min./Moore
Allen/Bradley/Pietrus
Pierce/Prince/Joseph
KG/Charlie V/Sullinger
Camby/Stiems/Melo

lol charlie v and prince?

i love my pistons but really?

Raz
06-30-2012, 09:16 PM
lol charlie v and prince?

i love my pistons but really?

I agree 100% - Prince would be okay (just not at that contract) but Charlie V..... he's probably the last player in the NBA I would want on this team. He is a team cancer and looks like he has it, too.
Hey just quoting Garnett

BlackWhiteGreen
06-30-2012, 09:21 PM

Rondo/Vet Min./Moore
Allen/Bradley/Pietrus
Pierce/Prince/Joseph
KG/Charlie V/Sullinger
Camby/Stiems/Melo

That trade would be cancerous to our team.

Christ, if you want to rid of Green, at least see if Atlanta would go for Green/Bass for Smith.

BlackWhiteGreen
06-30-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure why people are still obsessed with stocking up on front court depth with Boston. One quality center is fantastic, but this isn't 2010 anymore and Dwight with Orlando isn't a huge obstacle. The reason I like my suggestion is because it gives the Celtics defensive options for LeBron and Wade. Sort of like how the Thunder ran out and traded for Perkins to try and contain Bynum in the post-season, Boston needs to run out and sign guys who have been known to give LeBron problems. Stop LeBron and you've improved your odds of beating Miami tremendously.

Which is why focusing on a centre should be our last priority. We have a "Wade-stopper" (Bradley) and a "Bosh-stopper" (KG), what we need is another guy to guard LeBron (Green) and more offense from our bench (which is what Mayo would be ideal for). He's not the finished article by any means, but he's 24, and he can score. What more are you going to get with $6m or so?

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Which is why focusing on a centre should be our last priority. We have a "Wade-stopper" (Bradley) and a "Bosh-stopper" (KG), what we need is another guy to guard LeBron (Green) and more offense from our bench (which is what Mayo would be ideal for). He's not the finished article by any means, but he's 24, and he can score. What more are you going to get with $6m or so?

I think signing Green and DeShawn would be incredible in that respect. I'm not sold on Green but I know his length can be a nuisance for his defensive assignments.

Honestly, the thought of putting Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/Green/KG on the floor and being able to spell Pierce and Bradley with guys like DeShawn is just... :eek: ...imagine if Boston brought James Posey back too, to see if he had any gas left in the tank?

If Boston got Camby, resigned Wilcox and Green and signed DeShawn, on TOP of drafting a defensive big in Melo and a steal in Sullinger, Ainge should have a parade thrown in his honor.

Raz
06-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Honestly, the thought of putting Rondo/Bradley/Pierce/Green/KG on the floor and being able to spell Pierce and Bradley with guys like DeShawn is just... :eek: ...imagine if Boston brought James Posey back too, to see if he had any gas left in the tank?

James Posey is finished.

AMISTILLILL
06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
James Posey is finished.

You're speculating. And for the smallest contract available at the deadline, I'd take my chances. It beats paying to have some scrub like Sean Williams at the end of the bench.

CelticBaller
06-30-2012, 11:14 PM
I think signing Green and DeShawn would be incredible in that respect. I'm not sold on Green but I know his length can be a nuisance for his defensive assignments.

If Boston got Camby, resigned Wilcox and Green and signed DeShawn, on TOP of drafting a defensive big in Melo and a steal in Sullinger, Ainge should have a parade thrown in his honor.
man if only that happened
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

BallsOut
07-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Actually, I feel like Mayo is a lot better option than Terry at this point and worth the extra 1-2 mill per season if that's what it would take for the Celtics to land him.

Mayo is a legit SG. Terry is a bit undersized at SG. and Mayo is only 24 vs. Terry who is 10 years older at 34.

SG: Bradley/Mayo

Mayo can slide to 1 or 2, Stevenson can play 1 or 2. Now that's a solid lineup.

Looks like Celtics just offered Ray 6 mill per for 2 years. Gotta believe that's the best offer he'll get

SG: Bradley/Allen

Not bad. A second unit of Watson, Allen and Hill with Bass and Stiemsma crashing the boards. :bowdown:

AMISTILLILL
07-01-2012, 02:27 PM

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zpoc9s.png

According to the Boston Globe, Celtics will still only have 5 guys on contract for the 2012-2013 season, including KG. :confusedshrug:

"Kevin Garnett has committed to returning to the Celtics, agreeing to a three-year contract believed to be worth around $34 million, according to an NBA source. Garnett, an unrestricted free agent, informed the Celtics before Sunday’s start of free agency negotiations, which should help the team accelerate talks with several players. With Garnett, the Celtics will have five players under contract for the 2012-13 season, including team captain Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo. Free agent signings don’t become official until July 11; until then, the Celtics will decide whether to bring back unrestricted free agents Ray Allen, Brandon Bass, Jeff Green, and Mickael Pietrus, among others." Boston Globe (http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/07/01/kevin-garnett-returning-celtics-three-year-deal/j0pUVe3XVymN3gbwx7O1qN/story.html)

So, I dunno what to believe now. :biggums:

BallsOut
07-01-2012, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=AMISTILLILL]According to the Boston Globe, Celtics will still only have 5 guys on contract for the 2012-2013 season, including KG. :confusedshrug:

"Kevin Garnett has committed to returning to the Celtics, agreeing to a three-year contract believed to be worth around $34 million, according to an NBA source. Garnett, an unrestricted free agent, informed the Celtics before Sunday

Raz
07-01-2012, 07:22 PM
You're speculating. And for the smallest contract available at the deadline, I'd take my chances. It beats paying to have some scrub like Sean Williams at the end of the bench.

I'm speculating? I actually WATCHED him over the last few years because I loved him on our championship team, and try to keep tabs on all the ex-Celtics I like (Al Jeff, Tony Allen, Delonte). His defense started slipping his second year in New Orleans, and then his shot went missing as well. No defense, and no shooting? He became a hug liability other than his above average rebounding from the 3. Posey is going to be 36, and he didn't even play last year. Educate yourself bro.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass here, but it pays to listen to other people sometime. Try being receptive to posters more knowledgeable in certain areas. I wouldn't pretend to know everything about the Hawks or Warriors players because to me they're two of the most boring franchises to watch.

Jasper
07-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Start with Dwight Howard .. problem he's not a team player

AMISTILLILL
07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm speculating? I actually WATCHED him over the last few years because I loved him on our championship team, and try to keep tabs on all the ex-Celtics I like (Al Jeff, Tony Allen, Delonte). His defense started slipping his second year in New Orleans, and then his shot went missing as well. No defense, and no shooting? He became a hug liability other than his above average rebounding from the 3. Posey is going to be 36, and he didn't even play last year. Educate yourself bro.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass here, but it pays to listen to other people sometime. Try being receptive to posters more knowledgeable in certain areas. I wouldn't pretend to know everything about the Hawks or Warriors players because to me they're two of the most boring franchises to watch.

...and you're automatically more knowledgeable than others, right? Talk about being full of yourself. Just because you run some blog doesn't make you an authority on anything. :rolleyes:

BallsOut
07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Celtics still need to go after Spencer Hawes, Grant Hill, and DeShawn Stevenson in order to beat the Heat.

crisscutfries
07-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Let me rephrase.

Construct a Boston Celtics Team that Beats the Miami Heat and the Refs Next Season

Can't be done

Derka
07-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Celtics still need to go after Spencer Hawes, Grant Hill, and DeShawn Stevenson in order to beat the Heat.

DS just got signed-traded didn't he? I think he's out of the picture.

I'm still aching to see Spencer Hawes in a C's jersey. There's been no talk about him at all. Kinda figuring he'll stay in Philly unless someone makes a crazy offer.

AMISTILLILL
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Hawes for 3 years/$18 million would have been fine - before teams like Portland and Houston set the bar for absurd price tags for centers this summer. Hawes likely demands a contract damn near identical to Asik's.

I'd pay it and deal with the tax repercussions if I'm Boston, but that's just me. Not my money. Otherwise, with Camby leaning towards staying in Houston, Boston's center rotation is shaping up to be Chris Wilcox, Greg Stiemsma and Fab Melo, with Garnett sliding over to the 5 for stretches. :(

ProfessorMurder
07-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Hawes for 3 years/$18 million would have been fine, before teams like Portland and Houston set the bar for absurd price tags for centers this summer. Hawes likely demands a contract damn near identical to Asik's.

I'd pay it and deal with the tax repercussions if I'm Boston, but that's just me. Not my money. Otherwise, with Camby leaning towards staying in Houston, Boston's center rotation is shaping up to be Chris Wilcox, Greg Stiemsma and Fab Melo, with Garnett sliding over to the 5 for stretches. :(

They should just go after Camby. I'd rather drop cash on Ray and Terry, then pick up Camby/Wilcox/Stiemsma for cheap.

AMISTILLILL
07-03-2012, 05:43 PM
They should just go after Camby.

Boston was on his list, up until recently. Boston isn't even on the radar, according to 'recent reports.' Take that for what it's worth, of course.

Camby would be the perfect fit in Boston but, at 38, he probably has a great deal of emphasis placed on winning a ring or making one last dash for cash.

ProfessorMurder
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Boston was on his list, up until recently. Boston isn't even on the radar, according to 'recent reports.' Take that for what it's worth, of course.

Camby would be the perfect fit in Boston but, at 38, he probably has a great deal of emphasis placed on winning a ring or making one last dash for cash.

That's shitty. I don't see why he'd stay in Houston he's made money in his career. I could see him going to Miami or Boston. Good minutes, while contributing and competing for a title.

All Net
07-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I think they are pretty close and will be Miami's toughest challenge next year in the east at least. Even though they are older with Green back, Terry in and some good draft picks they stand as good a chance as they did this past season.

Obviously if Ray returns that makes them have great depth at guard.

They will cause Miami alot of problems again.

AMISTILLILL
07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
That's shitty. I don't see why he'd stay in Houston he's made money in his career. I could see him going to Miami or Boston. Good minutes, while contributing and competing for a title.

Yeah, he would make more money in Boston and have a legitimate shot at being an INTEGRAL part of a championship contender. If he goes to Miami he's just Joel Anthony 2.0 on the boards: clean up the paint, swipe at shots, If Boston was able to win a ring with Camby, his rebounding prowess would be one of the biggest parts of their victory... without a doubt. Miami could survive with or without Camby in the fold.