PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Batum Offered Near Max By Wolves

Clippersfan86
07-01-2012, 05:17 AM
:roll: :roll: Hilarity continues. Now it's Portland getting trolled.

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Batum-has-offer-from-Minnesota-and-meeti=1&blockID=733614&feedID=5212

:oldlol: :oldlol:

4 years 45-50 million. Averaged out over the course of the contract we are talking about 12+ mill possibly for Batum.

Haymaker
07-01-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm so glad. Fukc Oshley and Co. for offering max to Hibbert.

Sarcastic
07-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Minnesota held back $$$ from Kevin Love for Batum? :facepalm

Clippersfan86
07-01-2012, 05:19 AM

Batum>Love. Dat 14 ppg, 5 rpg! :oldlol:

LoneyROY7
07-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Wow.

I'll quote Kendrick Lamar here..."Money flow like water, I'll just wait at the dock."

RoseCity07
07-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Near max? What are you on? 4 years 50 million is not anywhere near max. Matthews gets paid 35 million over 5 years. Batum is better than Matthews.

Didn't Bargnani and Hedo get 50 million dollar deals? I think that about 8 million dollars too high but we'll see what Portland does. I think they'll offer something lower than that and see if Batum forces them to match.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-01-2012, 05:22 AM
WTF

Clippersfan86
07-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Near max? What are you on? 4 years 50 million is not anywhere near max. Matthews gets paid 35 million over 5 years. Batum is better than Matthews.

Didn't Bargnani and Hedo get 50 million dollar deals? I think that about 8 million dollars too high but we'll see what Portland does. I think they'll offer something lower than that and see if Batum forces them to match.

New max is like 4 years/55 mill man for players not previously on your team. Not far off if he gets the 50. Regardless it's a ridiculous offer.

Haymaker
07-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Indy should trade Hibbert for Batum in a sign n trade, then trade away Danny Granger's ass, and hire Kaman. End of story.

Clippersfan86
07-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Is Batum worth 12+ mill a year to you Rose? Say yes so we can all bitch slap you in the mouth.

dbugz
07-01-2012, 05:27 AM
LOL :roll: :roll: :roll:

1st they are obsessed with PGs, now they are trying to acquire all available SFs in the league :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Madness!

kumquat
07-01-2012, 05:28 AM
HELLL NO Batum is my favorite Blazer but he's not worth anywhere near that. :roll:

It's just the fact that he murders the T-Wolves every time he plays them.

RoseCity07
07-01-2012, 05:29 AM
I think Batum is worth about 8 million a year. 9 would be pushing it. If Minny wants to overpay him I can't say I'd blame Portland for letting him go.

However, when you calculate the time spent developing him and what the alternative to not signing him is, the deal doesn't seem so bad. I think Portland keeps him if they get Hibbert. It's not like we're going to get a better player at small forward than Batum. Portland only gets players like that in the draft. We have to overpay to keep him.

dbugz
07-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Wolves trolling the Blazers, Blazers trolling the Pacers

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

RoundMoundOfReb
07-01-2012, 05:30 AM
I can sorta understand the Hibbert offer because centers are so rare but this is ridiculous.

Clippersfan86
07-01-2012, 05:31 AM
I think Batum is worth about 8 million a year. 9 would be pushing it. If Minny wants to overpay him I can't say I'd blame Portland for letting him go.

However, when you calculate the time spent developing him and what the alternative to not signing him is, the deal doesn't seem so bad. I think Portland keeps him if they get Hibbert. It's not like we're going to get a better player at small forward than Batum. Portland only gets players like that in the draft. We have to overpay to keep him.

8 mill a year is a big difference to like 12+ or w/e this would end up being man...

bigkingsfan
07-01-2012, 05:34 AM
We had a lockout for this?

kumquat
07-01-2012, 05:36 AM
It's also the fact Nic is a good complemenary player, not an impact player which the wolves need. He'd be a great fit on a contender like the spurs, not the wolves.

Nick Young
07-01-2012, 05:39 AM
wtf is this shit-worse contract then Rashard Lews+Greg Oden combined:roll: :roll: :roll:

AlonzoGOAT
07-01-2012, 05:39 AM
Lol he better accept it no one would offer him more but batum is 90 overall after a few seasons :cheers:

bluechox2
07-01-2012, 05:44 AM
what was the lockout about again?

All Net
07-01-2012, 05:50 AM
:wtf: That's what a good role player gets here days

What happened to owners not wanting to give out stupid contracts again?

blacknapalm
07-01-2012, 05:53 AM
ok, are teams seriously just bluffing to drive the price up? i'm gonna laugh when a team plays their hand too hard and the original team doesn't match the offer. a real 'oh shit' moment :lol

UtahJazzFan88
07-01-2012, 05:55 AM
Really? That much for Batum? :facepalm Portland should just let him go and keep rebuilding or bring in a decent replacement. Matthews at least can somewhat replace him decently.

abuC
07-01-2012, 06:00 AM
It's the only way the Wolves can get him, they have to overpay to get him or else the Blazers would just match. I wouldn't do it, but considering how much trouble they have just signing free agents in general I can see why they did it.

hawkfan
07-01-2012, 06:01 AM
He's not worth that much, but no one wants to go to Minnesota.
So Kahn has no choice, except that Kahn could have drafted a shooting guard at 18 instead of trading it (but let's see how the international player turns out).

Ketchup
07-01-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm not sure what someone like Andre Iguodala makes in a season, but I'd rather have Batum than Iguodala.

Batum is only like 23 isn't he? I though if used properly he could be a better version of Rudy Gay. Still has time.

Maybe it's just me though. I've always liked his game and potential.

nbaballllller
07-01-2012, 06:06 AM
this is absolutely batish crazy

SacJB Shady
07-01-2012, 06:19 AM
clipperfan, i wanna be friends. I will be a clipper fan too. Can you check your PM? thank you.

Horde of Temujin
07-01-2012, 06:19 AM
I thought they got rid of McHale

blacknapalm
07-01-2012, 06:28 AM
clipperfan, i wanna be friends. I will be a clipper fan too. Can you check your PM? thank you.

:biggums: :roll:

Qwertyazerty
07-01-2012, 06:31 AM
During the season I said he would be a great fit for the timberwolves, but at that price... hmm. A bit too much.
That said, he can play 2 and 3, is a good 3pt shooter and defender. He's also good in fast breaks which Rubio also appreciates a lot.

AlonzoGOAT
07-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Blow it up

Nick Young
07-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Love-Beasley-Rubio-Batum, damn it's like a team of second and third options all mashed into one.

Failure on the horizon:bowdown:

ukballer
07-01-2012, 06:38 AM

http://thewellversed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/316xnxhjpg.gif

Bosnian Sajo
07-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Wait a minute, were forgetting the main part...Minny is offering this much money for yet ANOTHER sf...how many sf do you need??

BigTicket
07-01-2012, 06:43 AM
If this goes through, Wolves just bought themselves another 4+ years of mediocrity at best.

B-Easy8
07-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Jeez I would love Batum on the Wolves but that is way too much. We let Beasley walk, who would have been 4m cheaper for a better version of Wes Johnson? What happens if Wes does start playing well? Then we have 2 of the exact same player. I guess if DeAndre Jordan gets 10.5m a year then it's justified.

Myth
07-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Damn, now I'm regretting not getting Barnes in the draft.

kumquat
07-01-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure what someone like Andre Iguodala makes in a season, but I'd rather have Batum than Iguodala.

Batum is only like 23 isn't he? I though if used properly he could be a better version of Rudy Gay. Still has time.

Maybe it's just me though. I've always liked his game and potential.

He's absolutely nothing like rudy gay :wtf:

LamarOdom
07-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Love-Beasley-Rubio-Batum, damn it's like a team of second and third options all mashed into one.

Beasley is a free agent as of yesterday.

midatlantic09
07-01-2012, 07:43 AM
4 yrs/$32 million is more fitting for a guy like Batum.

bagelred
07-01-2012, 07:52 AM
I think changes need to be made to Restricted Free Agency. Because of this matching ability, other teams offer absolute ridiculous contracts....just to "steal" a player from someone else. I think they need to change the structure of it somehow. That money for Batum is ludicrous.

13.9 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 1.4 APG, in 31 minutes.......near Max..........something needs to change.

EricGordon23
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Wow this rfa stuff is getting to be wack. Is javale a rfa?

veilside23
07-01-2012, 10:23 AM
why do they want him when they have guys like beasley, webster and williams ?

senelcoolidge
07-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I never understood how Batum was so over valued. He's a good player, but come on.

Raz
07-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Ah, they don't really want Batum - they are planning to ruin the Blazers by making them match. Restricted free agency is a game.

Raz
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
wtf is this shit-worse contract then Rashard Lews+Greg Oden combined:roll: :roll: :roll:

Greg Oden??? That was a rookie contract. :facepalm

raprap
07-01-2012, 10:47 AM
If I was Portland, let him go, sign Beasley for a cheaper deal than Batum. Then laugh at the Twolves when Beasley out performs Batum for the rest of their careers.

Meticode
07-01-2012, 10:52 AM
These organizations are ruining their franchise by overpayin these players. First Hibbert is offered a max deal by the Blazers (no lets pass on Drummond and offer a max deal for a 14/9/2 center)? Now Batum?

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I think it's a bit much but honestly, it's not that crazy. I wouldn't be outraged if I was a Wolves fan.

In the current NBA, if you are team that isn't located in Miami, LA, Chicago or New York, you basically have to take these kinds of risks if you want to get anyone of value in free agency. It's sad but true.

Batum is a good all-around player but the key is that he'll only be 24 this year. Even if he improves just a little bit, that's a very nice player to have through years 24-27 which are generally some of the most productive in a typical NBA player's career.

I don't get when people say "Oh, he's not worth $11-12 million, he's only worth $8-9 million". Well, if that extra $3 million is the difference between getting a player and not getting him, why not just pay it? What is the opportunity cost of that extra $3 million? You sure as hell aren't going to sign anyone worth a damn for $3 million alone. At that point, just get the player you want assuming you have a plan for the rest of your roster.

FireMcFailPlease
07-01-2012, 11:15 AM

we chose not to resign beasley you stupid, stupid man.

FireMcFailPlease
07-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I think it's a bit much but honestly, it's not that crazy. I wouldn't be outraged if I was a Wolves fan.

In the current NBA, if you are team that isn't located in Miami, LA, Chicago or New York, you basically have to take these kinds of risks if you want to get anyone of value in free agency. It's sad but true.

Batum is a good all-around player but the key is that he'll only be 24 this year. Even if he improves just a little bit, that's a very nice player to have through years 24-27 which are generally some of the most productive in a typical NBA player's career.

I don't get when people say "Oh, he's not worth $11-12 million, he's only worth $8-9 million". Well, if that extra $3 million is the difference between getting a player and not getting him, why not just pay it? What is the opportunity cost of that extra $3 million? You sure as hell aren't going to sign anyone worth a damn for $3 million alone. At that point, just get the player you want assuming you have a plan for the rest of your roster.
agreed..but this is ish..and apparently 10-12 mill is close to 20 million

MisterAmazing
07-01-2012, 11:20 AM
:biggums: Whats with everyone getting these overpaying offers? :banghead:

FireMcFailPlease
07-01-2012, 11:31 AM
:biggums: Whats with everyone getting these overpaying offers? :banghead:
because if a team decides itll pay 20 dollars for something worth 15, and the other team has to either lose 5 bucks or do the same, then that's how deals get done.

you need to overspend in rfa. other wise whats the point?

B-Easy8
07-01-2012, 11:36 AM
why do they want him when they have guys like beasley, webster and williams ?

Beasley is no longer on the team, Webster will be bought out soon and Williams plays PF.

Raz
07-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Ah, they don't really want Batum - they are planning to ruin the Blazers by making them match. Restricted free agency is a game.

Read this again people.

kumquat
07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
These organizations are ruining their franchise by overpayin these players. First Hibbert is offered a max deal by the Blazers (no lets pass on Drummond and offer a max deal for a 14/9/2 center)? Now Batum?

Drummond makes Kwame Brown look skilled.....yes the kid will be that godawful in the NBA.

raprap
07-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Read this again people.

And if the Blazers don't match? The wolves will be fvcked by their own d*ck. :eek:

Meticode
07-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Drummond makes Kwame Brown look skilled.....yes the kid will be that godawful in the NBA.
They might as well take a chance on him. What's the damn point? They drafted sure-be prospects and they collapsed under their own weight.

RaininTwos
07-01-2012, 11:58 AM
This is why I sided more with the players during the lockout

The Macho Man
07-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Max contracts are only 55 million now? Wasn't it like 100 mil before?

Meticode
07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Max contracts are only 55 million now? Wasn't it like 100 mil before?
Shut up.

FireMcFailPlease
07-01-2012, 12:18 PM
And if the Blazers don't match? The wolves will be fvcked by their own d*ck. :eek:
yea! having a 3 pt shooter who can defend and is only 24 yrs old sucks!!!!!!!!!

The Macho Man
07-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Shut up.

:biggums:

:cry:

JD_TO
07-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Wait a minute, were forgetting the main part...Minny is offering this much money for yet ANOTHER sf...how many sf do you need??
I remember when that Hawks had Al Harrington ,Josh Childress, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams on one team:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Meh. People are getting too worked up by the number of this contract. Minnesota is in win now mode and diving head first into it. We have a great core in Rubio-Love-Pek that was winning at something like a .600 winning percentage when Rubio was finally inserted into the starting line up and started to get heavy minutes.

If anyone paid attention to Minny last year, LOL!, you would realize that this team was utter crap outside of Rubio-Love-Pek and we need all the talent we can get. Batum adds a great piece to this and adds an infinitely better option for us on the wings. At face value Batum isn't worth 50/4 but when you consider that this is essentially the Wolves last time to make a major move to add talent around the Love-Pek-Rubio core I'm fine with it.

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Awesome, a completely ignorant post. We don't have a capable starting SF, Batum would be that.

LakersForlife
07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
can get battum as starter move, wes jhonson on the bench since beasly and randolph is out and webster most likely they should go for mayo

so

rubio/barrea/lee
mayo/luke
batum/buddinger
love/williams/tolliver
pekman/milicic

chips93
07-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Awesome, a completely ignorant post. We don't have a capable starting SF, Batum would be that.

just curious: do you still want kahn fired?

ProfessorMurder
07-01-2012, 12:48 PM
can get battum as starter move, wes jhonson on the bench since beasly and randolph is out and webster most likely they should go for mayo

so

rubio/barrea/lee
mayo/luke
batum/buddinger
love/williams/tolliver
pekman/milicic

That's not a bad team, but they won't win anything. 1st round exit in the west.

FireMcFailPlease
07-01-2012, 01:05 PM
according to the ishiots, we have 50 pgs, 50 sgs, 50 pfs, 50 sf's and 50 centers

BallsOut
07-01-2012, 01:07 PM
o...m...g...what in the hell. Are the Wolves this stupid? Batum ain't white! :biggums:

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 01:09 PM
just curious: do you still want kahn fired?
Yep.

Loneshot
07-01-2012, 01:11 PM
This is why I sided more with the players during the lockout

Right? Owners moan and cry about players contracts and not being able to succeed in the small market, yet recreate the same situations that led to their team swimming in mediocrity in the first place.

ZenMaster
07-01-2012, 01:13 PM
It's also the fact Nic is a good complemenary player, not an impact player which the wolves need. He'd be a great fit on a contender like the spurs, not the wolves.

This line of thinking doesn't make sense to me.

If you're a great fit on a contender then why not the wolves? How can the wolves become a contender without having a player that would be a good fit on a contender?

Minny needs an impact player? Staple of their offense will be Rubio-Love pickn'roll and Pek in the post. For those things to work you need a shooter, you also needs good defenders on any team. Hitting shots and playing defense makes an impact.

Is impact to you only playing good 1on1 offense?

longtime lurker
07-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Well its not about the money but the allocation of resources. Nicolas Batum makes sense for a borderline contending team but he's not the player that will put the Timberwolves into the playoffs. I can bet you Beasley will put up better numbers for less money on whatever team he goes to. Now 2 years from now I don't want to hear Twolves fans complaining when Batum hasn't improved and they're still a borderline playoff team. Look at Denver for example, Nene didn't even last a shortened season before they realized paying him that much money was a huge mistake.

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 01:20 PM

If you're a great fit on a contender then why not the wolves? How can the wolves become a contender without having a player that would be a good fit on a contender?

Minny needs an impact player? Staple of their offense will be Rubio-Love pickn'roll and Pek in the post. For those things to work you need a shooter, you also needs good defenders on any team. Hitting shots and playing defense makes an impact.

This guy gets it.

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Well its not about the money but the allocation of resources. Nicolas Batum makes sense for a borderline contending team but he's not the player that will put the Timberwolves into the playoffs. I can bet you Beasley will put up better numbers for less money on whatever team he goes to. Now 2 years from now I don't want to hear Twolves fans complaining when Batum hasn't improved and they're still a borderline playoff team. Look at Denver for example, Nene didn't even last a shortened season before they realized paying him that much money was a huge mistake.
The Timberwolves were already a play off team with a healthy roster.

AMISTILLILL
07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
FireDavidKahn and FireMcFailPlease are clearly the same person.

LOL @ the Timberwolves fans getting uppity with people who criticize the moves made by their joke of a front office. No matter which you slice it, Batum is maybe a 4 years/$24 million player, at best. This is overpaying. End of story.

The theory that this is done just to 'ruin' Portland is absurd. Then Portland has the last laugh when they don't match the offer.. what then? Nice move, Minny.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 01:27 PM

LOL @ the Timberwolves fans getting uppity with people who criticize the moves made by their joke of a front office.

They're different posters actually.

This move is ballsy, I hope we can find a 2-guard in this free agency mess.

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 01:32 PM
With Batum I absolutely think the Wolves are a playoff team and not even struggling to get in. They get in as a 6-8 seed comfortably and build on that with a good core. Love is an excellent player. While I thought Rubio was overrated last year, he's a good player as well with room for improvement. Pekovic is solid.

Batum is the first step to phasing out trash like Wes Johnson. Take away the 20-25 minutes you give Johnson and give all that to a good shooter and player in general like Batum and that's a huge improvement. Hell, simply having Budinger instead of Johnson is an improvement. I also would much rather have Batum than Beasley so Beasley leaving is a non-factor for me.

I think they should look to trade Derrick Williams like they reportedly have been. He is not an SF and never will be. He has more value to the Wolves in a trade due to his potential than he does as a bench player.

AMISTILLILL
07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
They're different posters actually.

This move is ballsy, I hope we can find a 2-guard in this free agency mess.

...and how would you know? Because you're one of them?

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 01:36 PM
...and how would you know? Because you're one of them?

Yup. I own the 5 Timberwolves fan accounts here on ISH.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 01:37 PM
I love the idea of getting Batum.

This means that we are going to put Williams behind Love, his most natural position and where he makes THE MOST impact.

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 01:39 PM

LOL @ the Timberwolves fans getting uppity with people who criticize the moves made by their joke of a front office. No matter which you slice it, Batum is maybe a 4 years/$24 million player, at best. This is overpaying. End of story.

The theory that this is done just to 'ruin' Portland is absurd. Then Portland has the last laugh when they don't match the offer.. what then? Nice move, Minny.
No shit, you always overpay for RFA:facepalm

The theory isn't to sabotage Portland, the theory is to get a good player on the Wolves roster.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm hesitant to think about trading Williams just because we have good SFs already. He's a tweener still, yes. Doesn't mean he didn't show flashes at the PF position this year, great flashes.

He can be our great 6th man, he is always coming off the bench with something to prove.

Wolves nation.. cross your fingers for a 2-guard signing... Oh man.. Gonna freak out if we get someone good along with Batum agreeing to his offered contract.

AMISTILLILL
07-01-2012, 01:44 PM
No shit, you always overpay for RFA:facepalm

The theory isn't to sabotage Portland, the theory is to get a good player on the Wolves roster.

Really? I didn't realize you always overpay! Derr.

It's overpaying for the actual player, genius. Face palm your garbage franchise, not a post you don't understand.

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm hesitant to think about trading Williams just because we have good SFs already. He's a tweener still, yes. Doesn't mean he didn't show flashes at the PF position this year, great flashes.

He can be our great 6th man, he is always coming off the bench with something to prove.
Waste of resources. Williams will never be better than Love and you want to have Love out on the floor as much as possible. So with Williams as a 6th man, that forces you to go small with Love at C for stretches which, IMO, is not a good idea.

Look to trade Williams for a player that will give you 30-35 minutes per game (at SG maybe?) rather than shoehorning him into the lineup for 25 minutes per game. Williams biggest value to the Wolves is as a trade asset right now.

jbot
07-01-2012, 01:45 PM
that's what i'm thinking. i like batum but not for that amount.

LakersForlife
07-01-2012, 01:48 PM
actually i think they are looking to trade their entire roster except rubio,love,pekman they are untouchables as khan said

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Waste of resources. Williams will never be better than Love and you want to have Love out on the floor as much as possible. So with Williams as a 6th man, that forces you to go small with Love at C for stretches which, IMO, is not a good idea.

Look to trade Williams for a player that will give you 30-35 minutes per game (at SG maybe?) rather than shoehorning him into the lineup for 25 minutes per game. Williams biggest value to the Wolves is as a trade asset right now.

I'm down for a trade that involves us landing a good SG via dealing Williams and future assets but it doesn't seem practical with the SGs available in the league. Who could we get? I agree it is a waste of resources but at the same time, having a bench is what gets you far in this league. Kevin Love's 38mpg still has 10 minutes where Derrick would tear it up.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
You sure as hell aren't going to sign anyone worth a damn for $3 million alone.

Sure you are. They are called role players.

While I thought Rubio was overrated last year, he's a good player as well with room for improvement.

Assuming he returns successfully from blowing out his knee.

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Really? I didn't realize you always overpay! Derr.

It's overpaying for the actual player, genius. Face palm your garbage franchise, not a post you don't understand.
Oh my gosh. The sentence structure to this is so bad it's almost unimaginable. :oldlol:

What exactly did you try to say?

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Sure you are. They are called role players.
You can get trash like Linas Kleiza for that price. If the choice is getting someone like Kleiza and another player for the other $8 million or just spending it all on quality like Batum? I'll take Batum every time.

ZenMaster
07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
For anyone who watched minny play last year you'll know their succes was highly dependant on them hitting 3's.

When they hit and made 3's they won, Rubio-Love pickn'roll and the other stuff they run creates a bunch of open 3 pointers. This is good and it led them to being the team who took the 6th highest amount of 3 pointers in the league.

The bad was that they only hit about 33% of those 3's, good for 24th in the league.

Adding Buddinger and Batum helps A LOT in that regard if they can shoot like they have been so far.

Minny also had the 10th worst defense in the league, Batum at least should help in that regard as well.

The more I think about it the more this makes sense. People here say he's overpaid by about 3 mill, well what are they supposed to spend that extra 3 mill on that's going to make an impact?

You need to get a player like this on the team before Love will get his future max extension because it's going to be hard as hell to do it after.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 01:59 PM
For anyone who watched minny play last year you'll know their succes was highly dependant on them hitting 3's.

When they hit and made 3's they won, Rubio-Love pickn'roll and the other stuff they run creates a bunch of open 3 pointers. This is good and it led them to being the team who took the 6th highest amount of 3 pointers in the league.

The bad was that they only hit about 33% of those 3's, good for 24th in the league.

Adding Buddinger and Batum helps A LOT in that regard if they can shoot like they have been so far.

Minny also had the 10th worst defense in the league, Batum at least should help in that regard as well.

The more I think about it the more this makes sense. People here say he's overpaid by about 3 mill, well what are they supposed to spend that extra 3 mill on that's going to make an impact?

You need to get a player like this on the team before Love will get his future max extension because it's going to be hard as hell to do it after.

This guy gets it.

KG215
07-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Indy should trade Hibbert for Batum in a sign n trade, then trade away Danny Granger's ass, and hire Kaman. End of story.

That would be a downgrade at both positions unless Batum really breaks out. Granger gets a lot of hate for being overrated (which he probably is) but replacing him with Batum and Hibbert for Kaman would be a downgrade.

BlazersDozen
07-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Batum would get more money than Beasley even as a UFA. Batum is a better shooter (highly coveted in the NBA), better defender that can defend 3 positions (highly coveted), he is supposed to have gobs of potential (I think he's nearly at his peak), and he has no off the court past or present problems.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Batum would get more money than Beasley even as a UFA. Batum is a better shooter (highly coveted in the NBA), better defender that can defend 3 positions (highly coveted), he is supposed to have gobs of potential (I think he's nearly at his peak), and he has no off the court past or present problems.

:applause:

All Net
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
@ChrisBHaynes: The teams outside of Portland that are courting Nicolas Batum, Minnesota is his preferred destination.

swi7ch
07-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Well he was once called the next Scottie Pippen so that must be worths omething, right??? :bowdown:

AMISTILLILL
07-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Oh my gosh. The sentence structure to this is so bad it's almost unimaginable. :oldlol:

What exactly did you try to say?

I don't even get what this means. The sentence structure wasn't even remotely confusing. Keep reaching. I'm much smarter than you.

D-Rose
07-01-2012, 02:54 PM
A bit surprising because Batum isn't a big man or on the level of an Eric Gordon in this year's free agency, but his versatility is highly valuable and will be a nice piece in the future for the Wolves.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't even get what this means. The sentence structure wasn't even remotely confusing. Keep reaching. I'm much smarter than you.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyways I'm so thrilled in Kahn so far this off season. I love getting Budinger and Batum.

EoJ
07-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Blazers will match IMO

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Blazers will match IMO
Sadly, I think so as well.

bdreason
07-01-2012, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't pay him anything over 8m per year. And I probably wouldn't even give him that with the new luxury tax penalties.

Myth
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm OK with letting Batum go at that price. However, if Hibbert becomes a Blazer officially, our money is tied up anyway, so then it may be good to re-sign Batum, because at that point cap space is already gone so it would just be Paul Allen's money. Hopefully we sign Hibbert to an offer before Batum signs his offer, that way we can decide whether or not to keep Batum based on what Pacers decide to do.

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm OK with letting Batum go at that price. However, if Hibbert becomes a Blazer officially, our money is tied up anyway, so then it may be good to re-sign Batum, because at that point cap space is already gone so it would just be Paul Allen's money. Hopefully we sign Hibbert to an offer before Batum signs his offer, that way we can decide whether or not to keep Batum based on what Pacers decide to do.
No offer sheets can be signed until July 11th. I'd wager that it's pretty likely that both Batum and Hibbert will sign their respective offer sheets on that date.

I don't know the specifics of Portland's cap but I doubt they could sign Hibbert to an offer sheet and Batum at the same time.

Raz
07-01-2012, 06:58 PM

The Blazers have already said they will match all offers to Batum.

EoJ
07-01-2012, 08:01 PM
If we lose batum at least we have him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBVNNEH_N7o

Myth
07-01-2012, 08:02 PM
No offer sheets can be signed until July 11th. I'd wager that it's pretty likely that both Batum and Hibbert will sign their respective offer sheets on that date.

I don't know the specifics of Portland's cap but I doubt they could sign Hibbert to an offer sheet and Batum at the same time.

I was thinking if the Blazers could even sign Hibbert an hour earlier, they could have everything set and ready for to turn in paperwork at the deadline for Batum if that is the way they want to go. And you can go over the cap to sign your own players, so that is another reason why we would have to get Hibbert first. If we match Batum first, then that takes away our money and we won't be able to keep Hibbert.

coin24
07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Even with batum and hibbert the blazers still aren't a playoff team anyway:lol

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Even with batum and hibbert the blazers still aren't a playoff team anyway:lol

Considering that they don't even have a coach yet it's a little early to predict.

kumquat
07-01-2012, 11:05 PM

The wolves have no scoring outside of Love, that's how it makes sense. Batum can't create for himself.

FireDavidKahn
07-01-2012, 11:06 PM
The wolves have no scoring outside of Love, that's how it makes sense. Batum can't create for himself.
Pek?:biggums:

Ricky can create for people.

Force
07-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Win win situation for Minny I think. You get a guy who is a likely future star in the league about to enter his prime, or Portland goes broke trying to fix their team and all those spare parts.

Batum is going to be great once he finds the right place to play. His 3 point shooting is as good as anybody. His defense is excellent and he can guard multiple positions and he is very very young. Very smart move by Minny since they know Portland is likely to match. Jerry West used to do things like this to put other teams in the conference in tighter places with cap room.

Batum can guard the 1, 2, 3 and now that players 6'8" can play center, he can definitely play some 4 if needed.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Win win situation for Minny I think. You get a guy who is a likely future star in the league about to enter his prime, or Portland goes broke trying to fix their team and all those spare parts.

Batum is going to be great once he finds the right place to play. His 3 point shooting is as good as anybody. His defense is excellent and he can guard multiple positions and he is very very young. .

Future star?

NewYorkNoPicks
07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
The MOST overrated player in the entire league. Jesus fkn christ.

"The Next Pippen!!!" GTFOH :roll:

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
The MOST overrated player in the entire league. Jesus fkn christ.

"The Next Pippen!!!" GTFOH :roll:

http://i.imgur.com/UHOZR.png

He's young still, 23
He plays great defense
The shooter we need, top SF
If we offered what he was worth, Portland would match
He fits in perfectly with our offense, fills our hole at the 3.

/close thread

NewYorkNoPicks
07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UHOZR.png

He's young still, 23
He plays great defense
The shooter we need, top SF
If we offered what he was worth, Portland would match
He fits in perfectly with our offense, fills our hole at the 3.

/close thread

Guys not even as good as Danilo Gallinari....

Force
07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Future star?

Yes a future star. Not a lot of players can shoot a good % from the field when half of their shots are 3 pointers like Batum has been forced to be in Portland.

He will be a top level defender as well if he isn't already. More people just have to see it. have you seen him play Kobe 1 on 1? He has very long arms and has barely gotten a chance to show anything in Portland and has never played more than 30mpg. His bball IQ is very high and he's only 23 years old.

It's not crazy for him to get big money and it's not crazy for Portland to come out and say they plan on matching. It's because they don't want anybody to sign him.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Guys not even as good as Danilo Gallinari....

I'll take Batum over Gallo going forward. Gallo is better now. 4 year contract, Wolves pulling the trigger on a run and I think he'll do great next season.

NewYorkNoPicks
07-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I'll take Batum over Gallo going forward. Gallo is better now. 4 year contract, Wolves pulling the trigger on a run and I think he'll do great next season.

Listen, youre a Wolves fan, and your team offered him a fat contract; obviously you have an interest in rationalizing this deal as much as possible for your home team.

But the reality is....he's a good player, a starter for many years, but a star is something he never will be. He'll make an all defensive team or two, but there isn't anything that makes this guy special.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Listen, youre a Wolves fan, and your team offered him a fat contract; obviously you have an interest in rationalizing this deal as much as possible for your home team.

But the reality is....he's a good player, a starter for many years, but a star is something he never will be. He'll make an all defensive team or two, but there isn't anything that makes this guy special.

I'm well aware that he's being overpaid. If you're saying this kid is a bust at 23 then you're just wrong.

I don't see the argument. Gobs of potential, and if you look up the season splits if i'm partial it's probably because Batum has wrecked Minnesota his entire career. Averaged 20pts against us this past season. I don't let that cloud my vision too much. We will utilize his talents and make him a star. I'm sure of it. I've admired his game.

NewYorkNoPicks
07-01-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm well aware that he's being overpaid. If you're saying this kid is a bust at 23 then you're just wrong.

I don't see the argument. Gobs of potential, and if you look up the season splits if i'm partial it's probably because Batum has wrecked Minnesota his entire career. Averaged 20pts against us this past season. I don't let that cloud my vision too much. We will utilize his talents and make him a star. I'm sure of it. I've admired his game.

This is just homerism at it's finest. Come on man. I mean for example I hate LeBron James, there is probably noone on this planet aside from rapists and serial murders who I would dislike more. However, I do not let my feelings allow me to make a biased statement regarding his talent; he's the top guy in the league no questions asked.

Back to Batum, I didnt call him a bust; I said he was the MOST OVERRATED player in the league. Rashard Lewis was overrated when he got a $19 million a year contract, doesn't mean he wasn't a good player... Like I said, Batum is a GOOD STARTER, and may even make an all-defensive team, but a star is something hell never be.

LakersForlife
07-01-2012, 11:53 PM
most of the scoring will come from love and pek downlow ..batum is a good fit can shoot and defend.jhonson can defend but cant shoot,beasly can shoot but cant defend.thats the downside of this team

longtime lurker
07-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Batum has been talked about as the next Pippen for the past 5 years :sleeping call me when he actually does something

FireDavidKahn
07-02-2012, 12:07 AM
This is just homerism at it's finest. Come on man. I mean for example I hate LeBron James, there is probably noone on this planet aside from rapists and serial murders who I would dislike more. However, I do not let my feelings allow me to make a biased statement regarding his talent; he's the top guy in the league no questions asked.

Back to Batum, I didnt call him a bust; I said he was the MOST OVERRATED player in the league. Rashard Lewis was overrated when he got a $19 million a year contract, doesn't mean he wasn't a good player... Like I said, Batum is a GOOD STARTER, and may even make an all-defensive team, but a star is something hell never be.

An all defensive wing who can score 14 ppg is easily worth 12 million a year. It's obviously a risk but it's better than doing nothing.

Meticode
07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
I like him just because of his name. BA TUUUUUUUUM!

LakersForlife
07-02-2012, 12:20 AM
a player that can play 3 positions and young..whos other player can match batums skillset in this free agency.no?

Haymaker
07-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Batum could be a good 3rd option on a contender but he lacks that competitor's heart. There's no fire in his game.

LakersForlife
07-02-2012, 12:26 AM
they could also get scalabrine since hes white

blacknapalm
07-02-2012, 12:33 AM
i think a lot of people were overrating his defense. his slight frame causes him problems against bigger SF's. i was curious so i cracked open synergy sports and he's ranked 387th in the league on D :biggums:

you can have all the physical tools in the world, but you have to hone in with the focus and know how to use it. he has major problems closing out shooters and ranks amongst the worst in the league for SF's at post up and P&R defense.

let's not fall in love with his moments where he does have good on ball D until he can do it much more consistently. paying this guy more than $10 million a year is already borderline too much. he's a 3rd option on a good team at best and probably a 4th option on a contender.

longtime lurker
07-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Batum could be a good 3rd option on a contender but he lacks that competitor's heart. There's no fire in his game.

I think even that is a stretch. I mean is this guy even as good as Luol Deng?

boozehound
07-02-2012, 01:13 AM
New max is like 4 years/55 mill man for players not previously on your team. Not far off if he gets the 50. Regardless it's a ridiculous offer.
actually 58/4. its pretty close. its clearly the position they need the most and hes a damn good player. overpaying? yes, but thats how RFA (which is pretty much every FA worth a damn not named williams) works. Its why ben wallace got paid 16 per for 4 years by chicago.

boozehound
07-02-2012, 01:13 AM
I think even that is a stretch. I mean is this guy even as good as Luol Deng?
loul deng is much better than bulls fans (and fans in general) give credit for.

04mzwach
07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Wolves are making the playoffs for sure now. :bowdown: What a Summer so far! One of the best offseasons of all time. :applause:

04mzwach
07-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Nobody overrates Batum IMO. We're overrating him by giving him such a big contract, but the fact that we have Rubio and the multiple guys that we do have... I see him as an all star type of player on the Wolves just because of our roster. What he was able to do on that lack luster Blazers team is something that was pretty impressive for a guy that I never really thought much of. He's so tall and lengthy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Timberwolves gave teams problems with their length last year. If we can somehow get just a little more athletic up front, we're going to be one of those teams you DO NOT want to see come playoff time. We may already be one of those teams though. Somebody give this guy a post game please. We're hiring Blazer players left and right now. If we acquire Brandon Roy, Batum and Jamal Crawford; the transistion with new players being acquired will come a lot easier and chemistry will be built a lot faster. The fact that Budinger was coached by Adelman is smart. The fact that the Wolves are bringing in players that know each other is smart. The fact that they're bringing in the position players we need while doing this is smart. Bye bye Beasley and Webster I guess. If Batum contributes to the actual starting roster which I think he will, he'll be worth both a Beasley and Webster.

04mzwach
07-02-2012, 11:16 AM
I wonder what the Wolves will do with Williams now. It's getting pretty crowded for him not to play the 4 and that would be off the bench. Maybe there's a bigger deal coming.

kumquat
07-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I think there are some rose colored glasses being put on by Wolves fans. Don't expect anything much more than what he was on the Blazers. He might have had two or three games in his entire Blazer career where I thought he was a $12mil player and I would have watched about 80% of Blazer games over the past 4 years.

04mzwach
07-02-2012, 11:57 AM
The Lakers would like to bring back Jordan Hill (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3994/jordan-hill), but they will have to fend off a number of other teams to do so.
According to numerous reports (see: this one (https://twitter.com/mcten/status/219296084525187072) and this one (https://twitter.com/#!/search/jordan%20hill)), Hill is also generating interest from the Timberwolves, Warriors, Magic, Heat and Suns.
Here's more from Dave McMenamin of ESPN LosAngeles.com on the Lakers chances of resigning the 6-foot-10, 235-pound power forward.

- Joe Kaiser

Dave McMenamin

"Even though Hill is unrestricted and the Lakers are over the luxury tax for next season, the Lakers hold partial Bird rights to him and can offer Hill a maximum of $3,632,450 a season for up to five years. Even though Hill is young and has shown flashes of brilliance in his three-year career thus far, he comes with a couple of question marks stemming from the MCL injury he sustained to his right knee last season as well as a pending felony assault court case. Those question marks, along with their partial Bird rights, figure to allow the Lakers to make a competitive enough offer that will be comparable with what the free-agent market will bear for him."
This guy may be able to help the T-wolves, although we're looking at Steisma.

SilkkTheShocker
07-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I think there are some rose colored glasses being put on by Wolves fans. Don't expect anything much more than what he was on the Blazers. He might have had two or three games in his entire Blazer career where I thought he was a $12mil player and I would have watched about 80% of Blazer games over the past 4 years.

T-wolves fans are delusional

B-Easy8
07-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Not sure why so many people are keen on this deal. Batum is the perfect fit for us but there is no way he is worth $12m, I wouldn't offer him more than $8m. Wes Johnson is basically supposed to be the same player. If he starts shooting well again then we will have to play either the 4th pick or the $12m man on the bench otherwise we would have no offence created by our wings.

04mzwach
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
The Wolves also called Boston restricted free-agent center Greg Stiemsma one minute after free agency commenced late Saturday night and brought him to Minneapolis for a visit on Sunday morning.
Los Angeles Lakers unrestricted free-agent power forward Jordan Hill — who played for Wolves coach Rick Adelman in Houston — is expected to visit on Monday while the Wolves still are believed to be pursuing a trade for Lakers star Pau Gasol.

Lots of deals floating around. +Roy, +Crawford

FireDavidKahn
07-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Not sure why so many people are keen on this deal. Batum is the perfect fit for us but there is no way he is worth $12m, I wouldn't offer him more than $8m. Wes Johnson is basically supposed to be the same player. If he starts shooting well again then we will have to play either the 4th pick or the $12m man on the bench otherwise we would have no offence created by our wings.
The bottom line is, if Adelman wants a guy there is a very good chance he is worth it.

ihatetimthomas
07-02-2012, 03:59 PM

"supposed" to be the same player is not the same as being the same player.

Wes Johnson has severly under achieved in his career. Batum has improved every singe year he has been in the league. He is a elite defender and has a really nice jumper. He instantly improved the Wolves D and improves the team. Is he worth all that money? No, but he is a glue guy type of player that could be a significant role player on any contending team. Plus he is only 23.

In the end RFA must be offered above their worth in order to pry them away. Blazers instantly match at 8 mil a year. I credit the Wolves for wanting to go out and try to make this team a playoff team bc they certainly are playoff contenders with him.

ZenMaster
07-02-2012, 05:41 PM
People will be suprised by this minny team if they can get a 2 and a 3 that shoots +37% from the 3pt line while Rubio and Love stays relatively healthy. They're going to be one of the best offensive teams in the league.

sacredcow
07-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Restricted free agent forward, Nicolas Batum, will meet with the Portland Trail Blazers this Thursday or Friday in Portland, a league source says.

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Batum-has-offer-from-Minnesota-and-meeti=1&blockID=733614&feedID=5212

My guess is he searched Minneapolis on Wikipedia and decided to get to Portland ASAP.

FireDavidKahn
07-02-2012, 09:03 PM

My guess is he searched Minneapolis on Wikipedia and decided to get to Portland ASAP.
huh?

04mzwach
07-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Yeah, the terrible 100 degree weather must have sucked when he got here.

longtime lurker
07-02-2012, 10:10 PM
This guy may be able to help the T-wolves, although we're looking at Steisma.

I think a Beasley and Hill sign and trade makes too much sense. I'd be disappointed if this doesn't get done.

FireDavidKahn
07-02-2012, 11:16 PM
I think a Beasley and Hill sign and trade makes too much sense. I'd be disappointed if this doesn't get done.
Beasley can't be had in a SnT since he is unrestricted.

04mzwach
07-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I'll be disappointed if we don't get Batum.

04mzwach
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Nicolas Batum (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3416/nicolas-batum) traveled to Minneapolis this past weekend and had a "great" visit with the Minnesota Timberwolves (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/min/minnesota-timberwolves) and there was a report he could receive an offer sheet worth $45-50 million over four years.
Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com (http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Batum-to-meet-with-Blazers-this-week=1&blockID=734356&feedID=5212) reports Batum has returned to Portland and he will meet with the Blazers on Thursday or Friday.
Batum had planned to speak with other teams, New Orleans Hornets (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/no/new-orleans-hornets) and Toronto Raptors (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/tor/toronto-raptors), but that will not happen now.
Should Batum sign an offer sheet from Minnesota, the Blazers will have three days to match it. Every sign coming out of Portland says they will.
:rant

FireMcFailPlease
07-03-2012, 03:42 PM

:roll:

while i have never been to portland, like you have never been to minneapolis, saying minneapolis is a crap city is just funny.