PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Wallace to sign with the Nets

bagelred
07-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

The Nets have reached agreement on a 4 year, $40 million contract with Gerald Wallace, league sources confirm. NY Post first reported.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Word is Nets' deal with Gerald Wallace, originally forecast to be in the three-year, $24 million range, more likely to be a four-year pact
Expand

4m Marc Stein Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Nets and Gerald Wallace, as expected, are close to sealing first verbal agreement of free agency. No deals can be signed before July 11

Nets confuse me. :biggums:

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Nets confuse me. :biggums:
Whats confusing ?

bagelred
07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Whats confusing ?

We hear lots of names thrown around. Deron, Kidd, Johnson, Howard, Wallace, resigning Lopez.......just not sure they can pay all those guys or which guys they really want.

I stand by my :biggums:

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 10:30 AM
We hear lots of names thrown around. Deron, Kidd, Johnson, Howard, Wallace, resigning Lopez.......just not sure they can pay all those guys or which guys they really want.

I stand by my :biggums:

@FredKerber
#Nets will give Gerald Wallace $40 mil for four years

All Net
07-01-2012, 10:31 AM
4 years, 40 million? Too much

It's A VC3!!!
07-01-2012, 10:32 AM
The deal is a four year deal worth 40 million. For two of those years he is worth it but those last two years he will definitely be traded or amnestied. Prok will have to soak 10-20 million of his own dollars with this huge contract if we plan to acquire howard and Joe Johnson . Depending on what we give up of course.

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Had to be done. King made his bed with that trade.

bagelred
07-01-2012, 10:38 AM
The deal is a four year deal worth 40 million. For two of those years he is worth it but those last two years he will definitely be traded or amnestied.

There is no amnesty. The amnesty rule is a one time thing for players ALREADY under contract when the lockout happened. There is no amnesty for Wallace ever.

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 10:42 AM
There is no amnesty. The amnesty rule is a one time thing for players ALREADY under contract when the lockout happened. There is no amnesty for Wallace ever.
[QUOTE]Teams will not be able to use the new "stretch" provision on players they acquire via the amnesty process. The stretch provision will allow teams to waive a player and stretch the annual cap hit well into the future.

For instance: If you release a player with two years and $20 million left on his deal, you could stretch the cap hit over five seasons

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-01-2012, 10:43 AM

Should be 24/3yrs with 3 yr as team option...love billy king & how incompetent he is

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Should be 24/3yrs with 3 yr as team option...love billy king & how incompetent he is
Wallace is a free agent tho. Maybe 3 years was never an option for the Nets.

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 10:46 AM
We still dont know if year 4 is non-guaranteed or partial

Meticode
07-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Good signing if they can get Dwight Howard and Deron Williams.

Potential lineup?

Deron Williams
MarShon Brooks/Anthony Morrow
Gerald Wallace
?
Dwight Howard

LosBulls
07-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Good signing if they can get Dwight Howard and Deron Williams.

Potential lineup?

Deron Williams
MarShon Brooks/Anthony Morrow
Gerald Wallace
?
Dwight Howard
Dwight will come with Hedo and Hedo will come with Jameer and Rashard through free agency.

Brooklyn Magic lmao.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-01-2012, 10:55 AM
We still dont know if year 4 is non-guaranteed or partial

K... I think now every FA is going to abuse billy cause he is dying to keep deron Williams...7-8mil is good enough for crash..

raprap
07-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Billy King:bowdown:

R.I.P.
07-01-2012, 10:59 AM
I hope it is true, that it is 40/4. If the Mavs don

Meticode
Dwight will come with Hedo and Hedo will come with Jameer and Rashard through free agency.

Brooklyn Magic lmao.
It would be sad if that happened. I highly doubt Jameer or Rashard would come though.

bagelred
Why did they give up a lottery pick to get Wallace? Couldn't they just have waited a half season until now to sign Wallace anyway? Wallace was going to opt out either way and he would have been Unrestricted.

:hammerhead:

longtime lurker
07-01-2012, 11:02 AM
LOL oh Billy King, the new Otis Smith. Man oh man. Do the Nets even have money to trade for Dwight Howard still? How would this work?

HylianNightmare
07-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Giving up on Johnson?

R.I.P.
07-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Why did they give up a lottery pick to get Wallace? Couldn't they just have waited a half season until now to sign Wallace anyway? Wallace was going to opt out either way and he would have been Unrestricted.

:hammerhead:

For that money they could have signed Wallace outright and kept the 6th pick. Nobody would have touched Wallace for that deal. :oldlol:

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-01-2012, 11:04 AM
And here's the Russian GM to King:

http://gifsoup.com/view2/1386807/totally-redeem-yourself-o.gif

LA_Showtime
07-01-2012, 11:06 AM
That seems like a lot of money. It will be worth it if they can trade for Dwight, though. Wallace, ideally, is a third or fourth option at best.

NOHCP3
07-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Why so much?? The 4/24 would have been a great deal but 10 a year?

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Sizable expirers are trade-able

Deron is obviously a Wallace supporter.

Silenttristo
07-01-2012, 11:20 AM
At this point, only Jordan Williams, MarShon Brooks, Anthony Morrow and Johan Petro are under contract. So even with the addition of 10 million worth of Wallace, the Nets have a ton of space to move about and add players. I'm sure Petro (And possibly Morrow) will be on the move anyway.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-01-2012, 11:21 AM
boom.
To me that is a strong indicator that DWill will sign with Nets (as many expect).
Unless its part of a big S&T

ProfessorMurder
07-01-2012, 11:23 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO, why would you stay on the Nets Gerald?

ZHAKIDD532
07-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Not an awful amount, but I think they should've gotten him for less. Like NetsDaily has been saying, they're going to make use of the stretch exception on this one.

ProfessorMurder
07-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Why so much?? The 4/24 would have been a great deal but 10 a year?

You want to give an all-star/all defensive player 6 million per year? His numbers went down because he was traded twice in the last two years. He's still really good.

ZHAKIDD532
07-01-2012, 11:26 AM
At this point, only Jordan Williams, MarShon Brooks, Anthony Morrow and Johan Petro are under contract. So even with the addition of 10 million worth of Wallace, the Nets have a ton of space to move about and add players. I'm sure Petro (And possibly Morrow) will be on the move anyway.
I think to start the Nets had $39M in cap space. So they still have more than enough to sign Deron Williams and Brook Lopez plus more.

ZHAKIDD532
07-01-2012, 11:27 AM
You want to give an all-star/all defensive player 6 million per year? His numbers went down because he was traded twice in the last two years. He's still really good.
A full year of stability, training camp, Deron Williams and Brook Lopez will be great for Gerald Wallace. I loved watching him play on the Nets. Just think that they overpaid a tad. Not much, but a little bit.

broy
07-01-2012, 11:34 AM
They have cap space to sign Deron Williams as well as some role players. They're going to trade for Howard, no need to have cap space.

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-01-2012, 11:36 AM
They have cap space to sign Deron Williams as well as some role players. They're going to trade for Howard, no need to have cap space.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Seems like a couple teams are willing to rent out Dwight for the season.

broy
07-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Seems like a couple teams are willing to rent out Dwight for the season.

Brook Lopez is greater and more needed by Orlando than what those teams can offer.

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Brook Lopez is greater and more needed by Orlando than what those teams can offer.
I'd rather just start from scratch rather than have Lopez be the center piece of my team. On a side note, what if Lopez doesn't wanna go to Orlando?

Dengness9
07-01-2012, 11:55 AM
SUCH A TERRIBLE MOVE....

Sounds like the nets overpaid by ALOT when then the truth is that no other team would dare give him anywhere close to this.

Brooklyn better hope they get Deron And Dwight or this franchise is going nowhere for a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time.

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Over paid by a lot? That is exaggeration. We needed a SF badly now we got a top tier one who can run with Williams.

Kingwillball
07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
SUCH A TERRIBLE MOVE....

Sounds like the nets overpaid by ALOT when then the truth is that no other team would dare give him anywhere close to this.

Brooklyn better hope they get Deron And Dwight or this franchise is going nowhere for a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time.

Meh.. Maybe a little but IF Nets are to get D12 and keep Williams and want to contend with Likes of the HEat need a Wing Defender like Wallace. Plus its not like he is already 32 or 33 getting a 4 year deal. Now Question is there any possible way Nets have a lineup of Dwill, JJ, Wallace and D12 next season ???

I<3NBA
07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
goddamit. Billy King doing everything to make Otis look good. :lol

damn. this is a franchise with a very bright future being ****ed over by dumb ****.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-01-2012, 01:51 PM

lol who told u that??

niko
07-01-2012, 02:30 PM
if you lookup the provision on waiving players when you sign them, its a bad contract. im a knick fan, i know.

AMISTILLILL
07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Nets could have signed Andrei Kirlenko for less than this and he probably would have done just as good a job as Crash. This wreaks of a) damage control for potentially bailing on that #6 pick only to have Wallace bail and sign elsewhere for more money and b) a panic move to show Williams that they're willing to spend and spend now to give him an adequate cast.

I've been a Gerald Wallace fan since he was drafted... but this contract stinks to high heaven, particularly if Brooklyn plans to absorb that nightmare Joe Johnson contract.

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
if you lookup the provision on waiving players when you sign them, its a bad contract. im a knick fan, i know.
It is what it is

Sometimes you gotta pay if you want to be competitive.
Wallace is a Great SF who Nets needed badly after Outlaw, Shawne Williams, Stevenson being our starting SF.

His contract can be traded later on, sizable expirers are great trade pieces.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Over paid by a lot? That is exaggeration. We needed a SF badly now we got a top tier one who can run with Williams.

Top tier would be Lebron and Durant not Wallace.

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Top tier would be Lebron and Durant not Wallace.
Ok and then there is a drop after Lebron-Durant-Melo

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Ok and then there is a drop after Lebron-Durant-Melo

I'd take Wallace over Carmelo myself. He's not the top tier player the hype says he is.

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I'd take Wallace over Carmelo myself. He's not the top tier player the hype says he is.
Rather pay Wallace this amount than have him sign off to another team.
Its a slight overpay but nothing dramatic.

BlackVVaves
07-01-2012, 02:48 PM
So, Billy "YOLO" King could have outright signed Wallace today, but still thought it was cool to just dump a lottery pick for him :oldlol:

The only thing funnier is Nets fans who can find it within themselves to actually defend his incompetence. I must admit, I admire your diligence :applause:

You still have the current worst GM in the league though :roll: BUT. Deron and Dwight can make that title go away with ease. Let's see what happens.

BlackVVaves
07-01-2012, 02:50 PM

:wtf:

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 02:50 PM
So, Billy "YOLO" King could have outright signed Wallace today, but still thought it was cool to just dump a lottery pick for him :oldlol:

The only thing is funnier is Nets fans who can find it within themselves to actually defend his incompetence. I must admit, I admire your diligence :applause:

You still have the current worst GM in the league though :roll: BUT. Deron and Dwight can make that title go away with ease. Let's see what happens.
Nobody is denying its a bad trade, we all know.

Wallace wouldn't be interested in the Nets had we not traded for him. He said he did not even know they were moving to Brooklyn :lol

BlackVVaves
07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Nobody is denying its a bad trade, we all know.

Wallace wouldn't be interested in the Nets had we not traded for him. He said he did not even know they were moving to Brooklyn :lol

Really? Sheesh, he doesn't get out alot.

D-Rose
07-01-2012, 02:53 PM
It really is so astonishing that the Nets made the deal to land him in the first place...there was absolutely no purpose in that. But on the other hand, they have redeemed themselves by resigning him and D-Will seems a lot more open to sign now than during the season.

niko
07-01-2012, 02:54 PM
4 years/ $40 million is too much for him. It reeks of a Knick move. You gave up a draft pick to get him like it was nothing. Then you paid him a fair salary, but one he would have trouble getting on open market. And anyone thinking he is a good trade chip, really? 4 years/$40 million for a player who relies on his athleticism and has a history of injury?

Is it a bad signing? NO. But trading the #6 pick for him and then paying him above market is certainly not great.

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 02:55 PM
4 years/ $40 million is too much for him. It reeks of a Knick move. You gave up a draft pick to get him like it was nothing. Then you paid him a fair salary, but one he would have trouble getting on open market. And anyone thinking he is a good trade chip, really? 4 years/$40 million for a player who relies on his athleticism and has a history of injury?

Is it a bad signing? NO. But trading the #6 pick for him and then paying him above market is certainly not great.

Rather pay him that amount than let him leave.

And yes a good trade piece, not now but in 3 years when he becomes a sizable expirer.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 03:01 PM
:wtf:

I prefer energy/hustle guys to lazy, selfish, fat ****s that play iso. Just the way I roll.

niko
07-01-2012, 03:02 PM
I prefer energy/hustle guys to lazy, selfish, fat ****s that play iso. Just the way I roll.
You can't make a team of role players like Wallace. Saying Wallace is better than Melo is just stupid.

D12Magic, this one for you - Deron is talking to the Nets who are hopeful he might sign TODAY i have heard. Go check twitter...

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 03:06 PM
You can't make a team of role players like Wallace. Saying Wallace is better than Melo is just stupid.

D12Magic, this one for you - Deron is talking to the Nets who are hopeful he might sign TODAY i have heard. Go check twitter...
Hope so, but with the meetings tomorrow, he wont announce. No later than Tuesday...........hopefully

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
You can't make a team of role players like Wallace.

Nor can you win with Carmelo as your centerpiece. Wallace is probably 3rd or 4th option depending on what other moves they make.

Saying Wallace is better than Melo is just stupid.

Didn't say he was. I said I'd prefer him on my team. He's not the scorer Carmelo is but he's certainly better in many other facets.