PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: Raptors offer Nash 3 year, $36 million deal

Faptastrophe
07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
The Toronto Raptors have offered free agent point guard Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million contract, according to an ESPN report.

A two-time MVP, Nash has spent the most dominant years of his career in the Phoneix Suns back-court. In 1,152 career NBA games with the Suns and Dallas Mavericks Nash has averaged 14.5 points and 8.6 assists per game.

In 62 games with the Suns in 2011-12, nash averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists. The Suns would finish third in the Pacific Division and miss the playoffs.

Nash has been named to eight NBA All-Star teams and seven All-NBA teams. He won the 2005 Lou Marsh Trophy as Canadian athlete of the year and has won the Lionel Conacher Award as Canada's top male athlete on three occasions.

Alongside Magic Johnson, Nash is one of only two point guards to win MVP honours on multiple occasions.

Originally drafted in the first round (15th overall) by the Phoenix Suns at the 1996 NBA Draft out of Santa Clara University, Nash's first stint in Phoenix would last just two years before he was dealt to Dallas.

Nash has represented Canada on the international stage on numerous occasions, most notably at the 2000 Sydney Olympics where he led the team to the quarter-finals. He currently serves as the general manager of Basketball Canada.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399676

:lebronamazed:

NOHCP3
07-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Damnnnn how can he say no to that much?

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Colangelo scrambling to save his job and it's going to work. I can't believe us Raptors fans are going to have endure him ruining the team for a second time.

BallsOut
07-01-2012, 01:51 PM
:biggums: Is it cuz Nash is canadian?

LebronsHeadband
:applause:
If he signs the Heat's road to repeating just became a helluva lot tougher.

Maniak

Colangelo scrambling to save his job and it's going to work. I can't believe us Raptors fans are going to have endure him ruining the team for a second time.
If Nash comes, I trust the Raptors fanbase to show nothing but love to him.

stallionaire
07-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Does Nash even need the money? I wanna see him hoist up some hardware...

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
If Nash comes, I trust the Raptors fanbase to show nothing but love to him.
Nash is my favourite player and I'm sure that goes for many Raptors fans. I mean, there's not many players on the Raptors that people can quickly say "oh yea, he's my favourite player". That might change with Valanciunas though.

That's why I'd rather he go to a good team than waste his time on a team that should still be rebuilding since they are nowhere close to being a legitimately good team.

tomtucker
07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
:oldlol:
:roll: :oldlol:

Faptastrophe
07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
In relevant news:

Earlier Saturday Michael Grange reported that Raps had video plea from Gretzky cued up to play for Nash. They have Gretz on speed dial, too.

Sauce. (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/219305160176963584)

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 01:55 PM
No kidding, the Raptors might actually win 1 or 2 games in that 1st round series instead of getting swept!

Stuckey
07-01-2012, 01:56 PM
always seem like the Raps org want to attract fans rather than win games

but ill still tune in to see Val

Meticode
07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Dear Mr. Nash,

Do not sign with the Toronto Raptors for any reason. That is unless they offer you $1 billion. Which I would not put it past them. My recommendations would be to stay with the Suns or somehow get to New York.

A Fan,
Wayne Jorgensen

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 02:02 PM
That's why I'd rather he go to a good team than waste his time on a team that should still be rebuilding since they are nowhere close to being a legitimately good team.

In the east he makes them a legitmately good team.

somehow get to New York.

Why would he want to be part of that mess?

Zackmorris
07-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Dear Mr. Nash,

Do not sign with the Toronto Raptors for any reason. That is unless they offer you $1 billion. Which I would not put it past them. My recommendations would be to stay with the Suns or somehow get to New York.

A Fan,
Wayne Jorgensen

I endorse this letter. Stamped and sent.

Velocirap31
07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm buying a Nash jersey as soon as this goes down. Still 50-50 on this though. I'd love to watch Nash play for TO, but I'd rather see him go far on a contender.

Rowe
07-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Dear Mr. Nash,

A Fan,
Wayne Jorgensen
Realistically Toronto is a better fit for Nash than NY.

Toronto w/Nash is better than Phoenix w/Nash.

He will not win a title and may not reach the 2nd Round, but he has the chance to put Toronto on the map for the short term and turn guys like DeRozan & Bargnani into borderline All Star talents.

I hope it happens.

Meticode
07-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Why would he want to be part of that mess?
I think you took my letter the wrong way. My recommendations weren't for any benefit to him, but for my entertainment purpose. Him in New York would be entertaining to say the least.

Tmuston Beltics
07-01-2012, 02:06 PM

Lol! Why wouldn't he need the money? It's 36,000,000 phukken dollars... :no:

Meticode
07-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I disagree.

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 02:07 PM
He will not win a title and may not reach the 2nd Round, but he has the chance to put Toronto on the map for the short term and turn guys like DeRozan & Bargnani into borderline All Star talents.
Nash is a very good player, not a miracle worker. Unless he can teach Derozan how to dribble and shoot from the perimeter, he is never even sniffing an All-Star appearance.

IGotACoolStory
07-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Nash would do wonders for Bargnani. Derozan? Eh.

Meticode
07-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Nash is a very good player, not a miracle worker. Unless he can teach Derozan how to dribble and shoot from the perimeter, he is never even sniffing an All-Star appearance.
I think Nash can do this. While also teaching Derozan to swim faster than a shark.

TMT
07-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Certainly better than the pocket change he would receive in Miami, or the MLE in New York. Not to mention he'd be home. Wouldn't blame him if he took it.

Velocirap31
07-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Nash would do wonders for Bargnani. Derozan? Eh.

Yeah, this. Players that shoot well do very well with Nash, but otherwise you need to be an Amare.

Rowe
07-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I disagree.
Any reason why?

I just don't think he'd fit into an old school defensive oriented system under Woodson. Under D'Antoni it would be a perfect fit. But what we're doing now is a team geared towards Melo in the half court while hanging its hat on the defensive end. Not saying that gameplan is better than what Nash could do, but I am being realistic on where we are headed. The only change in tempo of the offense comes entirely off of forced turnovers. The high pick & roll that Amare has thrived on has been removed as Woodson is asking him to work on his post game. We saw far more weak side pick & roll action with Chandler, a throwback type of set up.

Nash is better in a situation where he can set up plays and basically QB that Toronto team as they don't have any other ball handlers nor any players who can create offense for themselves, efficiently. A lot of guys put up better numbers with him on the floor and I don't think it will be any different in Toronto.

midatlantic09
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM

You act like Nash is a billionaire or something.

Rowe
07-01-2012, 02:33 PM

DeRozan has been making improvements each season.

He's been on a track towards being what Corey Maggette once was, but playing off the ball with a PG who can get him easier baskets might help.

It appears he is moving to SF next season which should benefit him from a defensive matchup standpoint.

All Net
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Knicks make more sense if he can get paid as much... Hence sign and trade talks

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 02:38 PM

I think you need to take a look at the #'s again.

Statistically, Derozan has been getting worse every year when it comes to offensive efficiency as his usage has increased. Skill-wise, he's still a terrible 3pt shooter and has very little ability to create his own offense in the half-court. The only time I see him competently going to the basket is on fast breaks.

Not being able to dribble and shoot are two massive holes for an SG in the NBA. It's not something easily fixable either. With NBA players, you generally see what kind of player they will be by their 3rd or 4th years assuming they've received playing time up to that point. As of right now, I'm very skeptical that Derozan can be a starter in this league if you want to be a good team. Doesn't have the skillset or the production.

swi7ch
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
If I were him, I'd go to MIA and win a title and then sign with another team the following year for money. Win-win. Just get your ring and move on with your career.

No Evans!
07-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I wanna see this happen. When was the last time Toronto was on TNT or ESPN?

TMT
07-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Knicks make more sense if he can get paid as much... Hence sign and trade talks

New York can't give him 12 per.

D-Rose
07-01-2012, 02:57 PM
I think winning a title is SO overemphasized in today's game. Maybe it was Boston's big three joining up that fueled this perception, or Malone and Payton to LA. Some guys just don't want to end their careers chasing rings or playing lesser roles. I wouldn't fault Nash one bit for taking the money and playing in his home country. For the Raptors, what an excellent investment...I mean that financially and in terms of developing their young guys.

hawkfan
07-01-2012, 02:58 PM
The Hawks should amnesty Marvin Williams and offer Steve Nash a 4 years, 36 million contract, and tell him he only has to play 3 years and they will honor that last year.

Nash, Jenkins, Joe Johnson, Smith, Horford, with Pachulia, Teague, Scott, Green off the bench.

NumberSix
07-01-2012, 02:58 PM
He's not gonna sign to team that has no chance of winning.

brantonli
07-01-2012, 02:59 PM
What's the max the Heat can offer? 3 million?

Kujo
07-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Nash is my favourite player and I'm sure that goes for many Raptors fans. I mean, there's not many players on the Raptors that people can quickly say "oh yea, he's my favourite player". That might change with Valanciunas though.

This a million times. I'm so against this. I really hope Nash comes to his senses, and signs with a contender.

This would absolutely cripple our rebuilding process, and set as even further back.

It's pretty clear that BC/MLSE only care about putting butts in the seats/selling tickets, and marching us towards 1st round exits/mediocrity for the next 3 years.

I'll say it again. We should be chasing Goran Dragic.

I'm almost resigned to the fact Nash signing with Toronto is likely going to happen.

I hope it happens.

I disagree. Nash with Melo, and Amare would be fun to watch. Novak would get tons of open looks. Knicks would likely win 50 games next season.

bdreason
07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
No way he passes on 3 years at 12m per.

IamSofaKing
07-01-2012, 03:43 PM
This a million times. I'm so against this. I really hope Nash comes to his senses, and signs with a contender.

This would absolutely cripple our rebuilding process, and set as even further back.

It's pretty clear that BC/MLSE only care about putting butts in the seats/selling tickets, and marching us towards 1st round exits/mediocrity for the next 3 years.

I'll say it again. We should be chasing Goran Dragic.

I'm almost resigned to the fact Nash signing with Toronto is likely going to happen.

I disagree. Nash with Melo, and Amare would be fun to watch. Novak would get tons of open looks. Knicks would likely win 50 games next season.

Nash on the Raptors would be fun to watch though, look how good Nash made Frye look. Imagine what he would do with Bargnani. Not to mention PnR with Valanciunas and athletic wings in DeRozan and Ross

nbarumorz
07-01-2012, 03:52 PM
He's not gonna sign to team that has no chance of winning.

Yup. It also makes no sense to make a shift from Phoenix to Toronto. I get that it is his home country but he has played with Pheonix his entire career so if he has a sense of loyalty to something, it should probably be towards the Suns fans. Even though if I was him I would probably stay away from both, and sign with Miami. He would get plenty of playing time with Chalmers taking a backseat, and be able to play with James, Wade, and Bosh.

Meticode
07-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Disagree there. He's regressed more than anything. I felt he improved from year 1 to year 2, but last year he got the same minutes (actually a tiny bit more) than year 2 and he shot lower percentages. It doesn't mean he'll keep getting worse, I actually expect him to do better this year. For a SG though he can't shoot beyond the arc for shit.

IamSofaKing
07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Disagree there. He's regressed more than anything. I felt he improved from year 1 to year 2, but last year he got the same minutes (actually a tiny bit more) than year 2 and he shot lower percentages. It doesn't mean he'll keep getting worse, I actually expect him to do better this year. For a SG though he can't shoot beyond the arc for shit.

Him having lower numbers last season was because of Casey's new system. If you noticed hes more of a defensive minded coach. The Raptors defence improved last year but their offence suffered because of it.

And if you also noticed Demars numbers increased significantly second half of the season. I guess it just took him some time to find his offence in the new system with having a new coach and all.

Overall i would say he improved last season, his scoring was down but his defense somewhat improved

GoRapz
07-01-2012, 04:17 PM
DAYUM!!! the Raps got Gretzky involved?? Sh*t just got real :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

SpecialQue
07-01-2012, 04:26 PM
DAYUM!!! the Raps got Gretzky involved?? Sh*t just got real :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:lebronamazed:

Eat Like A Bosh
07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
And why would Nash waste his remains in Toronto? He;s better off staying in Phoenix in that case, he won't be contending for a title anytime soon, but at least he can make the playoffs.

GoRapz
07-01-2012, 04:37 PM
And why would Nash waste his remains in Toronto? He;s better off staying in Phoenix in that case, he won't be contending for a title anytime soon, but at least he can make the playoffs.

:wtf:

Toronto with Nash >>> Phoenix with Nash

Rowe
07-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Mike D'Antoni is no longer our coach.

A lot of you guys on the Nash to the Knicks bandwagon need to realize this.

There is no possible way we ever see Melo/Novak/Amare on the floor ever again.

The days of everyone jacking up 3's and purposely playing no defense in an attempt to keep the game pace as fast as possible are over.

Rowe
07-01-2012, 05:23 PM
I think winning a title is SO overemphasized in today's game. Maybe it was Boston's big three joining up that fueled this perception, or Malone and Payton to LA. Some guys just don't want to end their careers chasing rings or playing lesser roles. I wouldn't fault Nash one bit for taking the money and playing in his home country. For the Raptors, what an excellent investment...I mean that financially and in terms of developing their young guys.
Great point.

Nash realistically can play until he's in his 40's.

He can finish up in Toronto and go "ring chasing" for a year or 1/2 a season somewhere else.

MeLO MvP 15
07-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Mike D'Antoni is no longer our coach.

A lot of you guys on the Nash to the Knicks bandwagon need to realize this.

There is no possible way we ever see Melo/Novak/Amare on the floor ever again.

The days of everyone jacking up 3's and purposely playing no defense in an attempt to keep the game pace as fast as possible are over.
So you're saying Nash wouldn't help....?

Sure under Woodson we go more iso, but we still ran a lot of the pick and roll stuff from D'Antoni when we had Lin healthy and we still shot a lot of threes. People like to assume that Woodson is only gonna do Melo iso, but he only started doing that a lot when Amar'e and Lin went out.

Nash with this squad makes us the 2nd best team in the East. Nash would be able to get everyone their touches and get the most out of Amar'e.

Xiao Yao You
07-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Nash with this squad makes us the 2nd best team in the East.

:roll:

Duderonomy
07-01-2012, 06:11 PM
You act like Nash is a billionaire or something.
Probably is. White star athletes never go broke.

Hank
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM

I hope it happens.

lol Derozan is garbage. do you watch basketball?

Nelson14
07-01-2012, 07:02 PM
holy shit, that's a shit ton for him. hard to see him pass that up

Raz
07-01-2012, 07:08 PM

You know what, I don't think this is too bad. I think if Calderon and Bargnani could be swapped out for Pau Gasol, the team could really be onto something.
CT: Jonas/ Johnson
PF: Gasol/ Davis
SF: Ross/ Kleiza
SG: Derozan/ Forbes
PG: Nash/ Bayless

Actually, after typing out the roster, bleh. I don't like the signing, but at least I'll get to see Nash 41 times a year - season tickets baby!

UtahJazzFan88
07-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I want to see Nash in Toronto, might not actually go far in the playoffs besides a 1st or 2nd round exit, but it would be a very fun team to watch. :kobe:

raprap
07-01-2012, 07:25 PM
If Nash signs, Big daddy V pans out and both Derozan and Bragnani step up, they can actually contend in the east. :eek:

Nash 3 time MVP :applause: :applause: :bowdown:

nashwade
07-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Nash needs a ring to finish it off. Say no to Raptors please

missionman
07-02-2012, 01:27 AM
i've said this elsewhere, but I'm good with this. I've wanted a true re-build since the Jermaine O'Neal experiment failed. i lost all hope in Colangelo when he traded for marion and then signed Tukoglu (this was the bottom for me).

BUT as Raptor fans, let's stop believing that the Raptors have any chance at a championship w/ the Heat and Thunder still intact, for the next three or four years. Last year I don't know if I watched one entire game of the Raptors. I think Casey's got a good system, but watching games was unbearable. How many more seasons of crap can i bear?

For now, I just want to be entertained. AND I do think Nash will rub off on the the young guys - turn them into better players (or at least appear to be better players where they might get more trade value...).

boozehound
07-02-2012, 01:32 AM
meh, west is much deeper. toronto could surpise people. fairly athletic 2-4 and if jonas is as good as claimed, they could be a solid low seed in the east.

boozehound
07-02-2012, 01:34 AM
You know what, I don't think this is too bad. I think if Calderon and Bargnani could be swapped out for Pau Gasol, the team could really be onto something.
CT: Jonas/ Johnson
PF: Gasol/ Davis
SF: Ross/ Kleiza
SG: Derozan/ Forbes
PG: Nash/ Bayless

Actually, after typing out the roster, bleh. I don't like the signing, but at least I'll get to see Nash 41 times a year - season tickets baby!
well, now you raps fans are just being silly. how are bargs and calderon netting gasol? and the dude who thinks they could contend? WTF, stay somewhat realistic.

oamjad13
07-02-2012, 01:42 AM
If Nash is not gonna go to Miami where he has a real chance of winning a championship, I would love to see him in Toronto rather than elsewhere. And needless to say, this is gonna be wonderful for attendance and jersey sales for the Raptors.

IamSofaKing
07-02-2012, 01:43 AM
well, now you raps fans are just being silly. how are bargs and calderon netting gasol? and the dude who thinks they could contend? WTF, stay somewhat realistic.

Not saying Bargs + Calderon will get Gasol but at the same time Gasol is a 30 year old player that has a $17 million contract.. No thanks

kingchessking
07-02-2012, 02:28 AM
I rather see Nash try to go for a ring, but I can see why signing with the Raps makes sense for him (more money, play for Canada, possible executive position for him when he retires).

He won't win a ring with the Raps, but if he can get the Raps to 5-6 seed, I'll consider him an MVP Candidate and Coach Casey as COY.

Faberg
07-02-2012, 05:48 AM
I wanna see this happen. When was the last time Toronto was on TNT or ESPN?

Back during the 2008 playoffs when they went 41-41. ABC aired one regular season in early April against the Pistons.

Walker
07-02-2012, 05:54 AM
I'd love to see him head to Toronto.
Fits him perfectly, no ring chasing, go to a team he can teach and make instantly better.

El Kabong
07-02-2012, 05:55 AM
I reckon he should take the deal. He can play for 3 years and be the Canadian Hero, then sign with whoever is the best team in 2015. He probably won't contribute much at however old he is at that age, but he can get his ring and then retire.

wagexslave
07-02-2012, 06:00 AM
As much as I love the guy, there's no way the Suns are paying him $12m a year. (and with good reason) So I wouldn't blame him for going to Toronto at all. The Toronto fans could use something positive to happen to them, like seeing the best Canadian NBA player ever actually play IN Canada for their team. Would be cool I suppose.

Rowe
07-02-2012, 09:02 AM
So you're saying Nash wouldn't help....?

Sure under Woodson we go more iso, but we still ran a lot of the pick and roll stuff from D'Antoni when we had Lin healthy and we still shot a lot of threes. People like to assume that Woodson is only gonna do Melo iso, but he only started doing that a lot when Amar'e and Lin went out.

Nash with this squad makes us the 2nd best team in the East. Nash would be able to get everyone their touches and get the most out of Amar'e.

No, Woodson basically removed 3/4 of D'Antoni's sets by the end of the regular season. By the Playoffs it was strictly Woodson's sets that often end in isolation play.

Keep in mind I never said Nash wouldn't help.

Just said he doesn't fit with the new identity of Knicks basketball.

Once again if you want Nash you might as well trade Melo now and re-hire D'Antoni so we can keep the pace up and play wit no defense

GoRapz
07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
David Aldridge has also reported that the Raps have offered Steve Nash a front office job as soon as he retires a Raptor :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Pablooo5
07-02-2012, 04:00 PM
This deal has no future! Steve certainly laughing his f***ing ass out.He's chasing the ring now.In the Raptors he'd only get far from the tittle.

Jyap9675
07-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Get the money steve, i would've :oldlol:

taucesays
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
What's that, like 100 us dollars?

wagexslave
07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
What's that, like 100 us dollars?
US and Canadian dollars are almost the exact same worth these days... :facepalm 1 Canadian dollar is currently worth $0.98 American. Stop making us Americans look bad. lol

Raz
07-02-2012, 05:11 PM

Bro, I'm no Raps fan. I just live in Toronto and happen to have season tickets.

I'm sure they could put something together for Gasol, especially if Bynum goes for Dwight.

PS, I'm CED