PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead Video Game

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Any one here played it? There are 5 Episodes to it and right now part 1 and 2 are out.

I highly recommend it. Its does not follow the TV show's plot. This game has its own characters and setting.

You play as a man named Lee and you have to make tough choices and you decide outcomes such as who should you share the last snack with, who to save and some crazy shit.

The game is played like an actual interactive TV show.

Pretty good game on PSN and Marketplace.

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 11:41 PM
I absolutely love it. I can't remember the last time I played such a well-written game. You really get to know the characters and actually care for what happens to some of them. You also have to make some tough choices and they don't always work out.

Small spoiler: ** I chopped a dude's leg off! It was brutal watching the axe go through the tendons and bone. **

D12"Magic"
07-01-2012, 11:43 PM
I absolutely love it. I can't remember the last time I played such a well-written game. You really get to know the characters and actually care for what happens to some of them. You also have to make some tough choices and they don't always work out.

[/COLOR] **
Did you finish episode 2? We need to get a discussion going :cheers:

Qwyjibo
07-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Not yet. Going back into it right now. According to my Steam accomplishments, I've completed 2 parts of episode 2 so far.

04mzwach
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the update. Will rep and check out game.

04mzwach
07-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the update. Will rep and check out game.

Got through some of the game, real good so far.

Anti Hero
07-02-2012, 09:59 PM
bought the game but I can't figure out how to cycle between the stuff I have acquired. I need to wrap up Clementines finger but I can't make the guy give her the band aid I picked up.

Qwyjibo
07-02-2012, 11:49 PM
So... spoilers ahead for Episode 2:

Once the game made the "dinner" seem like such a big event, I had a feeling I knew what was going to happen. If you've ever seen or read the Road, it seems like it was pulled straight from that. Then you had the poor legless dude just pulling himself along the ground. Creepy and effective.

The salt block scene in the meat freezer was a true "holy shit" moment for me. I was all ready to help Lilly revive the old bastard and then slam. This game pulls no punches and I love that about it.

D12"Magic"
07-03-2012, 12:20 AM
So... spoilers ahead for Episode 2:

Once the game made the "dinner" seem like such a big event, I had a feeling I knew what was going to happen. If you've ever seen or read the Road, it seems like it was pulled straight from that. Then you had the poor legless dude just pulling himself along the ground. Creepy and effective.

The salt block scene in the meat freezer was a true "holy shit" moment for me. I was all ready to help Lilly revive the old bastard and then slam. This game pulls no punches and I love that about it.
Spoilers for Ep 2

Did you decide to shoot or leave Dan( I think that is his name)?

At that point it was clear Lee was truely the Leader of the pack.
I walked away with the group and left Dan to get eaten by the zombies.

D12"Magic"
07-03-2012, 12:23 AM
bought the game but I can't figure out how to cycle between the stuff I have acquired. I need to wrap up Clementines finger but I can't make the guy give her the band aid I picked up.
just walk up to her and talk to her and there should be an option where you can give her the band aid

EricGordon23
07-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Can someone tell me at which part episode one ends? Cuz i got to a certain part and the screen faded to black so is it done?

Nvm it glitched got to the credits will do episode 2 tomorrow night. Awesome game!!!

Al Thornton
07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
gonna wait until all the episodes come out. gary whitta writing episode 4, should be really good.

clipse026
07-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I bought the 1st 2 on PSN. Played through 1 and it was excellent. I love the animations and the decisions you have to make were pretty good. I also love that they show the stats at the end on what everyone else did.

glidedrxlr22
07-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I bought the 1st 2 on PSN. Played through 1 and it was excellent. I love the animations and the decisions you have to make were pretty good. I also love that they show the stats at the end on what everyone else did.

I got this on psn, but I got the season pass. You pay $20 up front and you get all 5 episodes when available. Basically it's buy 4 get 1 free. :rockon:

EricGordon23
07-31-2012, 12:09 AM
Whens the third episode come out anyone know?

glidedrxlr22
07-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Whens the third episode come out anyone know?

Mid-August

El Kabong
08-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Just finished the first episode. Was way better than I was expecting. I bought it cheap on the Steam sale and thought it'd be another point and click, but the writing on it is fantastic.

Choices I made in the 1st
Honest to Hershel
Chose Duck
Sided with Larry
Refused the gun
Chose Carley

Clippersfan86
08-07-2012, 11:41 AM
How the fu** did this game fly over my radar? Downloading on steam now. I LOVE LOVE LOVE choose your own story type RPG/Adventure games and I'm a huge fan of horror. So this game is tailor made for somebody like me and the reviews are overwhelmingly good. I guess you have to make a lot of decisions on the fly that affect the game and if you fail to do so consequences will be great.

Clippersfan86
08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm only 30 mins in but DAMN it's such an incredible game so far. Plot already has me sucked in hard. Only complaint is I wish the graphics were more life like and less like Borderlands. I love the artistry but it makes it less scary. Although I've already been scared to hell.

Clippersfan86
08-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Wow this is already one of my favorite games ever. Who would of thought with it being so simple looking. I'm done with first two episodes. Part 3 is released in the next two weeks... sucks having to wait.

glidedrxlr22
08-08-2012, 09:12 PM
^Agree. It's a great game. They should've done a better job advertising it. A buddy of mine slept on it too and he was shocked he hadn't heard about it. Needless to say....he loves it.

Clippersfan86
08-09-2012, 12:26 AM
^Agree. It's a great game. They should've done a better job advertising it. A buddy of mine slept on it too and he was shocked he hadn't heard about it. Needless to say....he loves it.

Yea... classic example of less is more. Not fancy at all with graphics or gameplay but TREMENDOUS storyline, drama and intensity. I love the decisions that force you to choose in like 5 seconds and you cant rewind it or anything without having to redo the entire chapter. I'm very attached to some of the characters.

EricGordon23
08-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Taking too long for 3rd installment

D12"Magic"
08-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Taking too long for 3rd installment
Tomorrow :rockon:

Edit: Never mind -_-

glidedrxlr22
08-13-2012, 04:40 PM

Where did you find that out?

Clippersfan86
08-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Not true. I read today that it's pending final approval and end of August is likely. If you're right though.im repping.

D12"Magic"
08-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Damn, Im wrong, sorry for the False Alarm. :facepalm

I read some blog the wrong way :hammerhead:

Clippersfan86
08-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Damn, Im wrong, sorry for the False Alarm. :facepalm

I read some blog the wrong way :hammerhead:

:mad:

D12"Magic"
08-13-2012, 07:02 PM
:D
:mad:

D12"Magic"
08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Did you guys here about the other Walking Dead Game? There is another one in the works and you play as Darryl and the game has plenty of action for those who want more Zombie killing. Looks like it will be a full retail game.

Clippersfan86
08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Did you guys here about the other Walking Dead Game? There is another one in the works and you play as Darryl and the game has plenty of action for those who want more Zombie killing. Looks like it will be a full retail game.

Yes it's due next year and being made by Activision. I doubt it will surpass this game though because it's a FPS and I love this whole.. campy adventure in the 3rd person deal of this WD game.

EricGordon23
08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Yes it's due next year and being made by Activision. I doubt it will surpass this game though because it's a FPS and I love this whole.. campy adventure in the 3rd person deal of this WD game.

Comes out january right? If they can surpass this i would be surprised this is awesome.

Qwyjibo
08-13-2012, 10:36 PM
It'll be tough to top Dead Island. While Dead Island wasn't amazing, the core gameplay and setting were still really well done. For this game to work, it needs to have a tight story with characters you can about among the action.

D12"Magic"
08-24-2012, 04:51 PM
This upcoming Tuesday it comes, finally :banghead:, along with Ratchet and Clank HD and Pro Skater HD :applause:

glidedrxlr22
08-28-2012, 10:28 AM
This upcoming Tuesday it comes, finally :banghead:, along with Ratchet and Clank HD and Pro Skater HD :applause:

Yes. Out this Tuesday for ps3 and Wednesday for 360.

Qwyjibo
09-01-2012, 10:15 PM
This game continues to pull no punches in episode 3. There was another "salt-brick" moment. It's a game-changer when it comes to who you thought you could trust in your group.

glidedrxlr22
09-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Just finished episode 3. It was pretty good. I'll give it an 8/10. It had too many running back and forth moments on the train though.

clipse026
09-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Just finished episode 3. It was pretty good. I'll give it an 8/10. It had too many running back and forth moments on the train though.
Yea that part was annoying. I kept trying to see if I could save Carley but I couldn't :(.

Qwyjibo
09-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Yea that part was annoying. I kept trying to see if I could...
That was devastating (in a video game sense).

EricGordon23
09-28-2012, 09:31 PM
When's the next episode?

LT Ice Cream
09-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Just finished episode 2 and at the end it says "You and 17% of others decided to kill both St. John Brothers"

Are 83% of the rest of you out there really that soft?! Those two clowns tricked me into helping them around their farm, kidnapped my homie and cut his legs off, and then fed them to the rest of my group! Of course I'm ****ing killing both of them! I guess everyone else is too concerned about their little digital karma and tries to do the "right thing". Lame.

Qwyjibo
09-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Just finished episode 2 and at the end it says "You and 17% of others decided to kill both St. John Brothers"

Are 83% of the rest of you out there really that soft?! Those two clowns tricked me into helping them around their farm, kidnapped my homie and cut his legs off, and then fed them to the rest of my group! Of course I'm ****ing killing both of them! I guess everyone else is too concerned about their little digital karma and tries to do the "right thing". Lame.
You are setting a bad example for Clem. :no:

Besides, it's way more fun having them eaten by zombies.

LT Ice Cream
09-30-2012, 10:00 PM
You are setting a bad example for Clem. :no:

Besides, it's way more fun having them eaten by zombies.

Setting a bad example? More like setting the right example. Kill the people that need to be killed. This aint Candyland yo!

glidedrxlr22
10-08-2012, 03:50 PM
The Walking Dead: Episode 4 Release Date
They're coming for you, Lilly. Again.
by Daniel Krupa
October 8, 2012

The fourth episode of Telltale's Walking Dead series, titled Around Every Corner, will be released in the US on Tuesday, October 9th on PlayStation Network for $4.99 or as part of the Season Pass for $19.99. The episode will appear just a day later on Xbox Live Arcade on Wednesday, October 10th for 400 MS Points, and on PC and Mac via the Telltale Games Store and other distribution platforms, including Steam and Origin.

Episode 4 will also be released internationally on Wednesday, October 10th for Xbox 360, PC, and Mac. There is currently no release date for Episode 4 on PlayStation 3 outside the US.

EricGordon23
10-10-2012, 10:43 AM
This episode seemed really short. Damn finished it too fast its just too good. Always leaving me wanting more. That's how all games should be.

MTing
10-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Might have been the best episode yet. It was very hard to pick the choices this time around.

El Kabong
11-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Finally finished up the whole thing. Ending was pretty depressing even if I knew it was coming and the guy at the end was a creepy bastard, too.

Qwyjibo
11-24-2012, 04:48 PM
A great overall game/series. The last episode was a bit short but really good with the emotional storytelling. I didn't even know it was possible to be stuck alone at the end depending on your choices. That's a cool feature. I didn't piss anyone off too much so I still had everyone with me.

***SPOILER***The tie-in to the previous episdoe with the station wagon was a bit of a stretch though.***SPOILER***

EricGordon23
11-24-2012, 08:24 PM
A great overall game/series. The last episode was a bit short but really good with the emotional storytelling. I didn't even know it was possible to be stuck alone at the end depending on your choices. That's a cool feature. I didn't piss anyone off too much so I still had everyone with me.

***SPOILER***The tie-in to the previous episdoe with the station wagon was a bit of a stretch though.***SPOILER***

You think in the next season you will be clemintine? Or do you think it will be a whole new cast?

El Kabong
11-25-2012, 03:56 AM
You think in the next season you will be clemintine? Or do you think it will be a whole new cast?
I think they said there will be a new cast, but there might put in crossover stuff depending on your actions from the first game (if you have a save file).

shadow
11-25-2012, 06:31 AM

(SPOILERS BELOW)
Don't quote me on this but from what I've read, even if you're stuck alone at the end of episode 4, a bit into episode five the whole group ends up with you for some reason or another.
If you think about how this game is set up, that makes sense. There are no major alternate cut scenes or diverging plot points so most of what happens in each episode will happen regardless.

That said, I do agree about the station wagon thing. That was a lame tie-in. I think the problem is that bad guy wasn't developed enough as a character. More walkie talkie conversations between him and lee in prior episodes might have helped establish his motives and obsession with Lee. Brilliant game regardless though. Just a real downer ending.

konex
11-28-2012, 12:01 AM
I absolutely love it. I can't remember the last time I played such a well-written game.

The guy who wrote the screenplay did Book of Eli as well.

monkeypox
12-10-2012, 07:55 AM

This game is all about tough choices. I wanted to kill the crap out of those two guys, but not with Clem standing there. And not with one of the friggin brothers begging for it so you can prove his twisted world view correct. Killing them is the easy choice. He was getting eaten anyways so in the end it would have done more harm than good.

Man this was a good game. I agree on walkie talkie man. More of a way to have someone read out all your past choices to you and try to make you pay for them. But really he was kind of an empty character. In the end though everything else is done so well I don't mind.

Qwyjibo
12-17-2012, 10:48 PM
The Walking Dead is scooping up some GOTY selections from different places which is awesome to see. I honestly think it did a better job presenting the story and characters than the TV show in 2+ seasons.

Thorpesaurous
12-18-2012, 09:02 AM
I just picked this up on a whim from Gamestop while buying a Christmas present from my little cousin. Basically they printed me out a copy of a season pass code to use.

I just skimmed this thread because of all the very polite spoiler warnings, but I have a few questions, that may have been answered, but like I said I didn't read this all through.

Will this spoil the tv show for me?

Is this something I can finish over a week? I have Hitman waiting on my shelf, and I'm a little burnt out from the hours I put into Assassin's Creed, so now I'm afraid if I start Hitman I'll fry out for 3 months and not play anything. I'd rather play this if it's short and will serve to sort of refresh my pallet.

glidedrxlr22
12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I just picked this up on a whim from Gamestop while buying a Christmas present from my little cousin. Basically they printed me out a copy of a season pass code to use.

I just skimmed this thread because of all the very polite spoiler warnings, but I have a few questions, that may have been answered, but like I said I didn't read this all through.

Will this spoil the tv show for me?

Is this something I can finish over a week? I have Hitman waiting on my shelf, and I'm a little burnt out from the hours I put into Assassin's Creed, so now I'm afraid if I start Hitman I'll fry out for 3 months and not play anything. I'd rather play this if it's short and will serve to sort of refresh my pallet.

This will not spoil the tv show for you. The game takes place in the comic book universe of the Walking Dead. It follows a different group from the main (Rick's) group.

Each episode takes about 2 hours. So the whole game should take about 10 hours. So yes, it's passable in one week. I'm interested in getting your opinion on this game. I totally enjoyed it. I can't wait for the next one.

Thorpesaurous
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM
This will not spoil the tv show for you. The game takes place in the comic book universe of the Walking Dead. It follows a different group from the main (Rick's) group.

Each episode takes about 2 hours. So the whole game should take about 10 hours. So yes, it's passable in one week. I'm interested in getting your opinion on this game. I totally enjoyed it. I can't wait for the next one.

Cool. I'm gonna try to start it tonight. With all my television shows ending, I've got a little extra time. And lately I've been on a real Video Game kick.

Thorpesaurous
12-19-2012, 08:59 PM
So I didn't get very far. It's a tough game to play with other stuff going on in the room, because you really kind of have to listen and pay attention, otherwise what's the point, and there's not a whole lot of going back.

I'm probably half way through chapter one.

Does it play in multiple outcomes? Like could I have saved Herschal's son if I knew what the hell I was doing, and now I missed part of he story, because that will cause me to go back and play it more for sure. I'm already upset because I missed checking on some things in the house because I started listening to the answering machine early on, and it triggered the baby sitter. I would've preferred to inspected everything. Like I missed the shelves tipped over, even if there were nothing there.

I really dig the presentation. I like the animated graphics a lot. I was genuinely scared when the Sheriff popped up. And I like the handling of the quicktime events. They don't all feel the same at all yet. The stuff with the babysitter for example was really unique. I wish Lee moved a little quicker. But I can already say that I like the control better than I did in Heavy Rain, and that was very much trying to do a lot of the same things, just on a bigger scale.

If something happens to Clementine, I'm gonna be rippin ****in pissed!!!

Qwyjibo
12-19-2012, 09:38 PM
The "care level" you will develop for Clem may be unmatched when it comes to video game characters. And I can't stand children in real life.

LJJ
12-20-2012, 02:54 PM
This game man.

I downloaded the entire thing this week and enjoying the hell out of it obviously. So tonight I'm about to play episode 5 and the "update is available" prompt comes up. I install the patch and that ****er deletes my mother****ing save! God damn it.

Thorpesaurous
12-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I got ****ed by the Gamestop guy. The disc I bought I was told was just the game install and the first episode. But I could buy the season pass through them too. So I bought the season pass, but when I loaded the disc, I had all five episodes. I have no need for the season pass they charged me 20 bucks for.

glidedrxlr22
12-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I got ****ed by the Gamestop guy. The disc I bought I was told was just the game install and the first episode. But I could buy the season pass through them too. So I bought the season pass, but when I loaded the disc, I had all five episodes. I have no need for the season pass they charged me 20 bucks for.

That guy screwed you over. I bought the season pass for $20 back when the first episode came out and that allowed me to download each episode as it came out. If I were you I'd go back and get you your $20.

Thorpesaurous
12-21-2012, 09:12 AM
That guy screwed you over. I bought the season pass for $20 back when the first episode came out and that allowed me to download each episode as it came out. If I were you I'd go back and get you your $20.

There's no returns on the download codes. And frankly I'd rather have the disc because I'm running low on Hard Drive Space at the moment (I'm getting the new 500 gig PS3 for Christmas, otherwise I'd already have bought it ... Anyone know the procedure for tranfering data from one PS to another?).

I wound up giving the online code to my little cousing, who's 16, and probably isn't mature enough to really get into this.

I finished episode one last night. It's obvious this is something I'm gonna enjoy. I'm already overly protective of Clem. My decision making has been kind of by the guy so far. I'm not trying to be overly badass or mean. But I'm not being the nicest guy either.
I didn't particularly trust Herschal when he wouldn't let us in the house, so my gut when I talked to him was to not give him the full story about who I was. I was aggressively protective of Kenny and Duck in the Drug store, because frankly Larry was acting like an asshole. But I've been pretty straightforward with Carley and Clem about my past.

I was a little surprised when I finished that I was in the minority on 4 of the 5 things they measured in the episode.

I lied to Herschal, which was a minority, albeit a small one.

I don't remember them all, but the only one I was in the majority on was that I saved Carley instead of Doug, which frankly was a no brainer. She's hot, she's got a gun, she kicked ass rescuing Glenn instead as opposed to Doug who was just a jerk every time I tried to play with the lock on the gate. I mean it was cool that he knew how to work that universal remote, but otherwise, meh.

My only gripe is that I wish once I've completed a dialogue sequence with someone, they wouldn't let me go back and talk to them, because the Obsessive Compulsive in me is circling around a setting two and three times re-checking everything, and I'm always worried someone will have something new to say, and if they don't, I'd prefer they didn't wast my precious load time by letting me as Lilly "how you doin'?" a sixth time.

Otherwise, totally awesome so far. I really like the handling of the action quick time events. I feel genuine pressure at times.

glidedrxlr22
12-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I had a feeling you'd like it because it has zombies, it's not in the first person perspective, and the story is great. I like how they compare your choices to others' choices. I would say I match up with the majority about 60% of the time. I tend to be trusting unless I have a bad feeling about somebody.

LJJ
12-21-2012, 11:38 AM
So I did end up finishing this, I just went into episode 5 with no save. The story was very good, but I'm not really going to take this in consideration for "Game of the Year" like so many critics seem to do.

In the end this game is not as much an innovation as it is simply a reinvention of the Japanese Visual Novel style games, cleverly adapted for the western market. The main criticism for me is that for a interactive story like this, the story branching never really seems to come to full fruition. Yes the choices you make impact the story somewhat, but usually the choices are resolved in the same episode. Or they only change a line of dialogue here and there. In the end you really have not changed the fate of any of the main characters, which is a missed opportunity if you ask me. Things should branch out at least a little.

That said the story is definitely much better than the norm in videogames, even for a story-heavy game.

Thorpesaurous
12-24-2012, 10:56 AM
I just got to the dairy farm, did all my snooping. Went out to scout the Bandit camp, came back, snooped some more, and I just sat down to dinner when the 1:00 football games were about to start, so I turned it off.

I'm very much enjoying the story. And the graphicness of it is quite brutal. Even moreso than usual because of the realness of the characters in most other respects.

DropStep
12-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Cried my ****ing balls off. This is why im never having kids. I care too much for a freaking video game character, I cant imagine what would happen in real life.

Heavincent
12-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Just finished episode 5. Cried like a little bitch :cry:

No game or movie has had that sort of an effect on me before.

Heavincent
01-01-2013, 03:07 AM
Cried my ****ing balls off. This is why im never having kids. I care too much for a freaking video game character, I cant imagine what would happen in real life.

Clementine is EASILY the best child character I've ever seen in a movie or game. I usually hate kids in movies and games, but they hit it out of the park with this character.

Thorpesaurous
01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
I just finished last night, and overall was really impressed. I was nearly moved to tears at the end. It wouldn't have been possible for them to show Clementine meet up with Christa and Omit at the train underneath the credit role?!?! They had to leave me hanging like that?!

Clementine really was an incredible character. Just a really unique driving force on the way I played the game unlike any that I can remember. It had a lot of similar themes to the show. The Utopian vision under extreme dictatorship. The Madness of saving a piece of a lost loved one. There was a lot there similar, but not the same enough to have spoiled anything.

I wish I knew more about what I was doing gameplay wise early on, because I wasn't even aware that I wasn't saving Duck in the first episode, which led to tension between Kenny and I, even though by Chapter II I had decided to side with Kenny against Larry. I played it as though Kenny and I were pals, but as the game progressed he became more beligerent about my trying to save Herschel's son instead of Duck, which I had no idea I was doing, which led me to become more agressive with him, and eventually we just didn't get along, even though that was never my intention.

sunsfan1357
01-03-2013, 03:49 AM
Downloaded episode one when it was free, didn't think I would like it as much as I did so I didn't buy the others when they were discounted. The rest of the episodes are only like 20 bucks anyway so I just bought the rest.

CeltsGarlic
01-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Finished the game. Cried.Cried like a child. Clem, youre a wonderful child, good luck... Shes so brave :cry:

HoopsFanNumero1
12-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Just found out about this game about a week ago. Episode 5 of the series is probably the most emotional I've ever gotten while playing a game :cry:

MP.Trey
12-17-2013, 10:54 PM
So Season 2 Episode 1 is out on Steam and PSN right now. I'm going to be checking it out tomorrow when it comes out on Xbox Live. Pretty excited. :cheers: