PDA

View Full Version : Suns sign Dragic 4yr/$34M

chazzy
07-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Going online now: Suns move quickly after Steve Nash trade and strike four-year deal with Goran Dragic worth $34 million, sources tell ESPN

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=10375

sagr32
07-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Dragic is unrestricted right?

D12"Magic"
Nice!

b1imtf
Quietly putting together a nice young roster

noosaman
07-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahaha the Suns management could be the stupidest in existence

DTreats
Great trade

PJR
Alvin Gentry always loved Dragic.

noosaman
07-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Great trade

so they traded him away then signed him 1 year later for big money? what the hell is wrong with PHX?

StateOfMind12
07-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Dragic is unrestricted right?
Yes.

This is hilarious though for Houston. They wanted to keep Dragic over Lowry and Lowry was sounding and acting like he was on his way out and now Lowry will be the way staying and Dragic will be out.

hawkfan
07-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Can Houston match or is he unrestricted free agent?

chazzy
07-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Houston will push hard for Lin now

BallsOut
07-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Morey just got raped by the Suns. :eek:

Now all they have at PG is a disgruntled Lowry and McHale as coach. Doesn't matter how hard they push for Lin, NY is going to match.

Reverend Hoops
07-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Dragic and 4 picks from LA :applause:

Maniak
In: Dragic, Beasley, 4 picks
Out: Nash

Good day. Very excited.

OmniStrife
Yessssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

blacknapalm
07-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Morey just got raped by the Suns. :eek:

Now all they have at PG is a disgruntled Lowry and McHale as coach. Doesn't matter how hard they push for Lin, NY is going to match.

martin is disgruntled too. wow, they needed to make moves and they just...didn't get it done. i'm sure lowry will be a pro and get over it unless he really dislikes mchale. that seems to be a trend with mchale. he needs to get better with his player relationships because he's in the process of burning more bridges

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Dragic / Marshall will be a fine rotation!

Now if we'd only get Gordon....

Sarcastic
07-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Houston will push hard for Lin now

Knicks will match any offer for Lin.

BallsOut
07-05-2012, 01:10 AM

Good day. Very excited.

Don't forget about Eric Gordon offer. Not bad.

Derrick
07-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Dragic / Marshall will be a fine rotation!

Icing on the cake for this off season :cheers:

StateOfMind12
07-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Knicks will match any offer for Lin.
As they should and hopefully they will because I really wouldn't want Lin playing for that garbage organization. They only thing decent they have over there is a cool mascot. The players suck, the coach sucks (not that Woodson is much better), I could go on. I still prefer Lin going to Dallas but I would definitely rather have him in NY than HOU.

chazzy
07-05-2012, 01:13 AM
As they should and hopefully they will because I really wouldn't want Lin playing for that garbage organization. They only thing decent they have over there is a cool mascot. The players suck, the coach sucks (not that Woodson is much better), I could go on. I still prefer Lin going to Dallas but I would definitely rather have him in NY than HOU.
I don't know, when I think of the Rockets the first thing that comes to mind is "Greatness"

BallsOut
07-05-2012, 01:13 AM
I don't know, when I think of the Rockets the first thing that comes to mind is "Greatness"

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Freedom Kid7
07-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Well, at the very least the Suns are rebuilding immediately. I wonder what the Rockets are gonna do now.

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Icing on the cake for this off season :cheers:
True, AND we keep the HAMMER! :bowdown:

El Kabong
07-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Good deal for the Suns, impressed by their offseason so far. If they can score Eric Gordon too they'll be an impressive offensive team.

StateOfMind12
07-05-2012, 01:19 AM
Well I heard that Houston and Portland are going to meet with Gordon and since Houston is probably extremely desperate right now, they may offer him a giant contract that no team will match or bid more on.

They are already trying to do that with Lin but hopefully everything backfires for them.

Maniak
07-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Well I heard that Houston and Portland are going to meet with Gordon and since Houston is probably extremely desperate right now, they may offer him a giant contract that no team will match or bid more on.

They are already trying to do that with Lin but hopefully everything backfires for them.
Wasn't what the Suns offered already the max, or am I missing something?

D-Rose
07-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Happy for Suns fans, they've got a fine young team so far. What will Houston's next move be? NY will surely match their offer for Lin.

CLTHornets4eva
07-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Congrats Suns fans. I wanted him in Charlotte. $8.9 Mil isn't too too high in my opinion.

Dallas is going to get skrewed in the PG musical chairs. They are going to end up with DJ Augustin:lol .

TMT
Nice pickup. Suns have a nice PG rotation going. They have their wing scorer. Unfortunately no EG, but they have made solid moves so far.

Do the Suns still have their amnesty handy? If so they should consider using it on Frye or Childress. Probably not Warrick since next year he will be an expirer.

BallsOut

They can't offer more than the Suns already did, the max. :facepalm

UtahJazzFan88
07-05-2012, 01:24 AM
I wonder if Houston would be willing to bring back Aaron Brooks since there's this revolving door of PG's between Houston and Phoenix.

Maniak
Congrats Suns fans. I wanted him in Charlotte. $8.9 Mil isn't too too high in my opinion.

Dallas is going to get skrewed in the PG musical chairs. They are going to end up with DJ Augustin:lol .
Maybe Felton or Brooks.

S&T Brooks for one of the shooting guards on the Dallas Mavericks? :D

OmniStrife
PG: Dragic / Marshall
SG: Gordon / Dudley
SF: Beasley / Redd
PF: Morris / Frye
CT: Gortat / Lopez

That's not a bad change, also add to that all those picks!

blacknapalm

it won't matter. gordon is restricted. if NO matches any max offer, he's going to stay. this is a team option. the only way gordon gets out of it is by sandbagging it and refusing to play...which would just be bitch made. there's already reports NO is going to match the offer

no pun intended
PG: Dragic / Marshall
SG: Gordon / Dudley
SF: Beasley / Redd
PF: Morris / Frye
CT: Gortat / Lopez

That's not a bad change, also add to that all those picks!
NOLA is going to match Sun's offer for Gordon.

flipogb
07-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Mavs gonna end up with Jordan Farmar when the Hawks waive him,lol

Maniak
Nice pickup. Suns have a nice PG rotation going. They have their wing scorer. Unfortunately no EG, but they have made solid moves so far.

Do the Suns still have their amnesty handy? If so they should consider using it on Frye or Childress. Probably not Warrick since next year he will be an expirer.

Yes they do. I'd prefer to see it used on Childress.

I wonder if Houston would be willing to bring back Aaron Brooks since there's this revolving door of PG's between Houston and Phoenix.

Might happen.

OmniStrife
NOLA is going to match Sun's offer for Gordon.

Perhaps he'll ask them not to... (ala Joe Johnson) One can hope...

DirtySanchez
07-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Yup good young squad plus all those picks. We will see.

no pun intended
07-05-2012, 01:27 AM
They should tank and get Shabazz.

IGotACoolStory
07-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Yeah, a legit wing scorer and someone to play PF. They have a nice future if they just one good player in the draft next season.

Tank, get a guarantee top 5 pick and then draft Bazz or McAdoo.

Derrick
07-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Perhaps he'll ask them not to... (ala Joe Johnson) One can hope...
Or sign and trade the lakers picks for Gordon if he makes it clear he wont play for NO.

GET IT DONE LANCE

Maniak
07-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Or sign and trade the lakers picks for Gordon if he makes it clear he wont play for NO.

GET IT DONE LANCE
That'd mean we got Gordon for Nash

Aaaaaaaah.

MeLO MvP 15
07-05-2012, 01:42 AM
SunsCaptain must be insanely happy.

All Net
07-05-2012, 01:50 AM
Suns acted fast

Hank
07-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Quietly putting together a nice young roster

a nice way of saying an irrelevant non playoff team thats going nowhere

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Man I take back everything I've said about our F/O

Dudes are going HAM

Maniak
07-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Man I take back everything I've said about our F/O

Dudes are going HAM
...For now.

highwhey
07-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Gordon iis the last piece of the puzzle. So haappy we go the dragon back! I'd jizz more if we got mcgee.

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 02:01 AM
...For now.
Well, only the Gordon situation remains...

And I'm sure "his heart is in PHX" now even more than before, after these moves.

Maniak
Gordon iis the last piece of the puzzle. So haappy we go the dragon back! I'd jizz more if we got mcgee.
McGee and Beasley?

Dear me.

Derrick
McGee and Beasley?

Dear me.
:oldlol: :oldlol:

kNicKz
07-05-2012, 02:02 AM
the knicks ............. :facepalm

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 02:04 AM
No news here.... :lol

Phantom_Blue
07-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Good on Dragic, looks like he really wanted to play in PHX. My question is, why did they give up on him in the first place?

WockaVodka
07-05-2012, 02:39 AM
So reviewing the Dragic/Brooks trade last season, the Suns pretty much got Aaron Brooks for a 1st round pick.

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Good on Dragic, looks like he really wanted to play in PHX. My question is, why did they give up on him in the first place?
My guess is, a knee-jerk reaction to a bad stretch of games by Dragic he had way back then...

Rab
07-05-2012, 03:25 AM
The Dragon is back. Suns got him cheaper than I thought. Suns beat writer Paul Coro is reporting the deal is around $30 mill with incentives for All Star appearances. So $30 mill it will be.

Sucks the see the Suns come full circle on the guy they traded last year with a pick for Aaron Brooks, but at least they're being pro-active in replacing Nash, and Dragic should be a good fit.

It'll be interesting to see if they can land Gordon.

SunsCaptain
07-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Teams I will be watching next year:

1. Suns
2. Lakers
3. NO
4. T-wolves
5. Rockets
6. Cavaliers
7. Kings?

Cant wait til next year =D

GOBB
07-05-2012, 07:11 AM
4 picks? Lakers draft picks will be low. Nothing to get excited over. Especially 2 2nd rounders.

$8.5mil over 4yrs for Dragic isnt back breaking. Thought dude was seeking $10mil per? Lost why Houston didnt keep him unless he wanted to be with Phx.

Cherry Picker
07-05-2012, 07:15 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2yx58pl.jpg

blacknapalm
07-05-2012, 07:21 AM
4 picks? Lakers draft picks will be low. Nothing to get excited over. Especially 2 2nd rounders.

$8.5mil over 4yrs for Dragic isnt back breaking. Thought dude was seeking $10mil per? Lost why Houston didnt keep him unless he wanted to be with Phx.

it's really $30 million with all-star incentives that can go up to $34 million. that's no easy task with a heavy guard-centric western conference. so ya, great deal. i've been a big fan of dragic (think i even argued with you about it once :lol)

it sounds like houston just didn't feel they got good return for lowry or they just feel lowry's contract has good value (which is also true imo). one thing players might be overlooking: escrow tax. these deals aren't as big as they seem on paper. lots of it will be taken back for the team down the line. gonna have to look up larry coon for the details but he thinks it could be a big deal. another thing about this CBA is all the teams trying to backload and nail the original teams on luxury tax. sort of a loophole but i guess they knew it was coming, lol

houston still really needs to make a move. scola, martin or a couple of their forwards need to go. they're deep but they need to get a perennial all-star

wally_world
07-05-2012, 07:30 AM

Good day. Very excited.

this :cheers:

Dont forget Kendall Marshall and possibly Eric Gordon!

Im so happy for the Suns and Nashy. We're finally moving on and immediately transiting into one of the brighter young teams :rockon:

Faptastrophe
07-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Baby-Nash showed some flashes of a young Manu in his first go round with the Suns.

He'll always be a favorite from what he did to the Sterns in the playoffs the year they swept... Almost as good as a title.

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Baby-Nash showed some flashes of a young Manu in his first go round with the Suns.

He'll always be a favorite from what he did to the Sterns in the playoffs the year they swept... Almost as good as a title.
Nah man... Far from a title.
But incredible still... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWjQ7nZTkI&feature=player_embedded

wagexslave
07-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Now with Dragic and Marshall do we move Aaron Brooks to SG?

blackification
07-05-2012, 07:48 AM
The exciting thing about them is they can be used in a sign n trade with new orleans for gordon

blacknapalm
07-05-2012, 07:53 AM
Nah man... Far from a title.
But incredible still... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWjQ7nZTkI&feature=player_embedded

and yet PHX still traded him PLUS a 1st round pick for brooks :lol

i'll never understand that but congrats on getting him back i guess. that said, i think brooks is a bench guy - sort of an undersized louis williams or a young jason terry. he can help a good team out. hell, NY, boston, LA, etc would all get a big boost.

Now with Dragic and Marshall do we move Aaron Brooks to SG?

brooks is way too small to play SG. he needs to be a PG off the bench which is why i think he's on the way out. kind of awkward overall. PHX needs to move on/ignore brooks

wagexslave
07-05-2012, 08:00 AM
brooks is way too small to play SG. he needs to be a PG off the bench which is why i think he's on the way out. kind of awkward overall
I don't mind seeing him go, he didn't even play one game for us last year he was too busy in China. :facepalm Send him to New Orleans as part of the S&T for Gordon.

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 08:06 AM
I don't mind seeing him go, he didn't even play one game for us last year he was too busy in China. :facepalm Send him to New Orleans as part of the S&T for Gordon.
Bingo.

Brooks is a fine trade asset.

wagexslave
07-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Bingo.

And getting rid of his salary would only give us even more room to make moves. :cheers: Any PF's out there we can sign for cheap? Humphries maybe?

blackification
07-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Bingo.

Yup that would do more to help the suns than he has done since we got him. I dont care if he ever comes back

OmniStrife
07-05-2012, 08:23 AM
And getting rid of his salary would only give us even more room to make moves. :cheers: Any PF's out there we can sign for cheap? Humphries maybe?
I think Morris has a good chance of being a solid starter.
He has shown that much to me.

blackification
07-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Amundson is avaliable. He is a decent back up and is familiar with the suns. We are going to most likely start morris but wouldn't mind if we used the amnesty on frye. He is going to be super useless without nash. Even more so than Chilly because he doesnt hurt us by just sitting on the bench as much as frye does chucking shots non stop and taking play time away from Morris.

wagexslave
07-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I think Morris has a good chance of being a solid starter.
He has shown that much to me.
I thought so too at the beginning of last year. He fell off a lot as the season went on though... tried too hard to be Channing Frye, which is never a good thing. He's solid when he actually plays true to his POWER forward game. But either way I would like us to go out and get a more developed PF, someone we know can come in and play up to the starter level, especially someone with solid defense and post moves. Morris just falls too in love with the jump shot for me to be comfortable expecting him to come in and be our starting PF.

wagexslave
07-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Amundson is avaliable. He is a decent back up and is familiar with the suns. We are going to most likely start morris but wouldn't mind if we used the amnesty on frye. He is going to be super useless without nash. Even more so than Chilly because he doesnt hurt us by just sitting on the bench as much as frye does chucking shots non stop and taking play time away from Morris.
Amnestying Childress gives us even more capspace to make moves than amnestying Frye though.

blackification
07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Amnestying Childress gives us even more capspace to make moves than amnestying Frye though.
yea using it on childress is more likely, I just think from a basketball standpoint childress hurts the suns less than frye does. But that probably doesn't matter because by the time the suns are good enough not to tank frye's contract will be up

wagexslave
07-05-2012, 08:56 AM
yea using it on childress is more likely, I just think from a basketball standpoint childress hurts the suns less than frye does. But that probably doesn't matter because by the time the suns are good enough not to tank frye's contract will be up
Suns can sign Humphries to play starting PF and have Morris as the 2nd string and Frye will be irrelevant at the 3rd string, so we wont have to worry about him bringing us down.

blackification
07-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Suns can sign Humphries to play starting PF and have Morris as the 2nd string and Frye will be irrelevant at the 3rd string, so we wont have to worry about him bringing us down.
Yea but for some reason Gentry has a huge infatuation with frye so I think the only way to end it is by getting frye off the team. You make a good point but I could easily see gentry flipping it around and humphries becomes our third guy.

wagexslave
07-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Yea but for some reason Gentry has a huge infatuation with frye so I think the only way to end it is by getting frye off the team. You make a good point but I could easily see gentry flipping it around and humphries becomes our third guy.
I've been thinking it's always possible we can include Frye and Brooks and draft picks as part of a package for the Eric Gordon sign and trade. Aaron Brooks is a solid PG, but is the odd man out with the new lineup. The Hornets could use another good PG and a PF. Frye's jumpshooting can work since they will have Davis to do the real big man work. They just don't fit in here right now.

GreatHILL
07-05-2012, 10:22 AM
this rox fan at realgm is mad :oldlol:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6117/lolrow.jpg

:roll:

Anti Hero
07-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Amnesty Childress for sure. Frye can be used off the bench and he has improved his inside game. Morris looked good, hopefully his game improves in the offseason and he can be our starter.

Blue&Orange
07-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Sometimes i like to delve into the minds of retards, inquisitive mind and all, so i got to ask... what do the Knicks have to do with this?

No news here.... :lol

dbronx42
07-05-2012, 11:56 PM
The Suns fans are literally acting like they acquired Dwight Howard and Deron Williams... Talk about overreactions from a fan-base. Eric Gordon is an injury prone ball stopper. Not worth the max at all. Dragic is a good player, but some are acting like he is a top 5 PG.

Did i mention the 1st round picks you got will almost certainly be in 25-30 region? Not exactly a place where you get immediate talent to improve your team. Most guys picked in that area of the draft don't even last in the NBA.

Have they made some solid moves? Yes. But Suns fans are acting like Knicks fans right now... :confusedshrug:

Derrick
07-06-2012, 12:13 AM
The Suns fans are literally acting like they acquired Dwight Howard and Deron Williams... Talk about overreactions from a fan-base. Eric Gordon is an injury prone ball stopper. Not worth the max at all. Dragic is a good player, but some are acting like he is a top 5 PG.

Did i mention the 1st round picks you got will almost certainly be in 25-30 region? Not exactly a place where you get immediate talent to improve your team. Most guys picked in that area of the draft don't even last in the NBA.

Have they made some solid moves? Yes. But Suns fans are acting like Knicks fans right now... :confusedshrug:
We have a sherlock holmes guys! :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Anti Hero
07-06-2012, 12:19 AM

On behalf of the Suns fans, sir, I believe we are excited because the Post Amare' era brought us Childress, Warrick & Hedo. The post Nash era has brought in some decent young talent and some flexibility. I don't know of any Suns fans that think we're going to be a good team, we're just excited we didn't sign shit for large sums of money.

dbronx42
07-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Are you mad i just brought you Suns fans back down to earth...? You guys look like a 2011 Houston Rockets roster, and call me crazy but that's not something you guys should be jumping for joy about. It's barely above average.

Getting those picks is nothing special at all and the Lakers knew that. Like i said they will be anywhere from 25-30 and your delusional if you think your going to get someone with those picks that will make you a contender.

Realism. It hurts sometimes, but i was just laughing at some of the Suns fans reactions.

dbronx42
07-06-2012, 12:25 AM
On behalf of the Suns fans, sir, I believe we are excited because the Post Amare' era brought us Childress, Warrick & Hedo. The post Nash era has brought in some decent young talent and some flexibility. I don't know of any Suns fans that think we're going to be a good team, we're just excited we didn't sign shit for large sums of money.

That's absolutely fair. Your team did get better, and i see you guys as a fringe playoff team. I was just saying some Phoenix fans are drastically overrating these moves.

wagexslave
07-06-2012, 12:57 AM
That's absolutely fair. Your team did get better, and i see you guys as a fringe playoff team. I was just saying some Phoenix fans are drastically overrating these moves.
What Phoenix fans are overrating these moves? Most of us are saying they're good moves and the team will finally be young and we're excited to see them play. I haven't seen one Suns fan act like we're going to be instant contenders or anything like that. We're just excited that our front office is actually trying to make some decent moves for the first time in a long time, is there anything wrong with that? :confusedshrug:

livingby3's
07-06-2012, 01:20 AM

a couple seasons ago we signed Childress and Warrick to big cash to put them on the bench. if you had look back and see moves the suns had make in the off seasons over the last 5 years, I'm pretty sure you can't help but feel excited for us here. And nope like he said, no one is overrating theses moves here. It's just finally spending the right money on the right players. We need a point we brought back Dragic, we got Beasley for cheap, and the management actually showed effort in getting Gordon, a targeted face for this franchise now that Nash is gone. Making moves to get younger to go further, yes Suns fans are excited. but for good reasons.

Maniak
07-06-2012, 01:31 AM
a couple seasons ago we signed Childress and Warrick to big cash to put them on the bench. if you had look back and see moves the suns had make in the off seasons over the last 5 years, I'm pretty sure you can't help but feel excited for us here. And nope like he said, no one is overrating theses moves here. It's just finally spending the right money on the right players. We need a point we brought back Dragic, we got Beasley for cheap, and the management actually showed effort in getting Gordon, a targeted face for this franchise now that Nash is gone. Making moves to get younger to go further, yes Suns fans are excited. but for good reasons.
:cheers:

Derrick
07-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Amen :cheers:

spiegel
07-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Suns fans will see far more polished Dragic. He looks fantastic at running different sets. Plays with a ton of poise and maturity that he did'nt have prior to his trade to Houston. Best of luck to the Dragon in Phoenix.

Anti Hero
07-06-2012, 01:40 AM
3 level headed Suns fans came in and shut that down awful quick. Good Job guise! :cheers:

livingby3's
07-06-2012, 01:59 AM
3 level headed Suns fans came in and shut that down awful quick. Good Job guise! :cheers:

:cheers: just feeding off your good post dear sir.
A franchise and their franchise player with mutual respect and high regards for one another. Steve Nash will be missed, but Suns fans can be proud.

OmniStrife
07-06-2012, 04:36 AM
:cheers:

Preach on!
+rep

OmniStrife
07-06-2012, 04:40 AM
By the way, any news about Gordon?

GreatHILL
07-06-2012, 04:47 AM
By the way, any news about Gordon?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8133459/eric-gordon-says-phoenix-suns-more-committed-future-new-orleans-hornets

OmniStrife
07-06-2012, 04:56 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8133459/eric-gordon-says-phoenix-suns-more-committed-future-new-orleans-hornets
I'm glad he loves our signings and he's correct. It is a better fit.
I want to see him in a Suns uni as badly as he wants to himself. :bowdown:

Demitri98
04-04-2014, 02:00 PM
This was smart.