PDA

View Full Version : How has Daryl Morey still got a job?

Horatio33
07-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Let Lin go (I know, he was barely played), then let Dragic go and traded Lowry hoping Lin would sign. Now what? Is there a plan in Houston? Granted the trade to get Gasol was vetoed (How U?) but there seems to be a make-moves-for-the-sake-of-it movement going on.

Although I hope he amnesties Scola and he comes to the Spurs!

Venja42
07-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Let Lin go (I know, he was barely played), then let Dragic go and traded Lowry hoping Lin would sign. Now what? Is there a plan in Houston? Granted the trade to get Gasol was vetoed (How U?) but there seems to be a make-moves-for-the-sake-of-it movement going on.

Let me do you one better:

He let Jeremy Lin, Aaron Brooks and Dragic all leave Houston...

...and this summer he's been trying to get all three back at one point or another.

TRACY MCGRADY! YOU'RE NEXT!!!!

Horatio33
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I missed that. Morey really has ****ed this, he just can't stop trading.

Timmy D for MVP
07-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Been a rough stretch for him but I'm certain there are plenty of other teams that would swap their GM for Morey. :confusedshrug:

EricGordon23
07-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Been a rough stretch for him but I'm certain there are plenty of other teams that would swap their GM for Morey. :confusedshrug:

I am sure Toronto would! BC is the worst Gm of all time.

fatboy11
07-05-2012, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't pay Goran Dragic 10 million a year either. And Kyle Lowry asked for a trade. No one knew Jeremy Lin would be able to do what he did. So why trash Morey for that? Every team in the league passed on Lin at some point (he went undrafted).

Are you seriously asking if he has a plan?

Sometimes I forget how ****ing stupid people are around here. Everyone here is an amateur GM so they have their criticism ready at the drop of a hat when they don't understand something.

bagelred
07-05-2012, 04:41 PM
It seems plainly obvious he wants to free up major cap space for 2013. Howard + Paul probably. He's in tank mode. Traded Lowry, probably will trade Scola for expirer. Collecting draft picks for a big offer for Howard most likely.

I thought you guys said being "average" was bad. Now that Rockets are going to tank and free cap space, you are criticizing him? Can't have it both ways.

fatboy11
07-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I thought you guys said being "average" was bad. Now that Rockets are going to tank and free cap space, you are criticizing him? Can't have it both ways.

It's the Insidehoops way.

This place will always be super reactionary.

Venja42
07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't pay Goran Dragic 10 million a year either. And Kyle Lowry asked for a trade. No one knew Jeremy Lin would be able to do what he did. So why trash Morey for that? Every team in the league passed on Lin at some point (he went undrafted).

Are you seriously asking if he has a plan?

Sometimes I forget how ****ing stupid people are around here. Everyone here is an amateur GM so they have their criticism ready at the drop of a hat when they don't understand something.

Yeah, but Morey hasn't done a great job of building a team since the departure of Yao and McGrady. (Yes, I know Yao retired last year but he's been unavailable the last several years).

I really respect Morey, too. He's smart, aggressive and really focuses on defensive-minded players. But he has A.D.H.D. and that's terrible for a GM. He gets lucky by seeing Lowry grow up and become a premier point guard and not only does he not build around him, he trades him for a lottery pick in a draft predicted to be very unimpressive rather than pick up another asset in the deep draft we just witnessed. OR how about picking up a veteran or established player to help your core. By the way...WHAT IS YOUR CORE? Scola (who you're trying to trade), Kevin Martin (who he's DESPERATE to trade) and Morris (who was unimpressive as a rookie).

Morey would do well to just let his team develop rather than constantly throwing assets up in the air and seeing what sticks.

fatboy11
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah, but Morey hasn't done a great job of building a team since the departure of Yao and McGrady. (Yes, I know Yao retired last year but he's been unavailable the last several years).

I really respect Morey, too. He's smart, aggressive and really focuses on defensive-minded players. But he has A.D.H.D. and that's terrible for a GM. He gets lucky by seeing Lowry grow up and become a premier point guard and not only does he not build around him, he trades him for a lottery pick in a draft predicted to be very unimpressive rather than pick up another asset in the deep draft we just witnessed. OR how about picking up a veteran or established player to help your core. By the way...WHAT IS YOUR CORE? Scola (who you're trying to trade), Kevin Martin (who he's DESPERATE to trade) and Morris (who was unimpressive as a rookie).

Morey would do well to just let his team develop rather than constantly throwing assets up in the air and seeing what sticks.

I agree that he has not done a great job. But he hasn't done a bad enough job for people to pondering why he is still employed as the GM of the Rockets. I think he's entitled to one more push. He has to get something to together in the next couple of offseasons (this one and next). He doesn't need to get it all fixed this offseason, but he needs to have it pointing in the right direction at least and then bring it all together next summer.

We'll see. As a Rocket fan, I'm as confused as anyone around here on what's going on, but I think it's foolish to start clowning the guy and prematurely declaring this offseason a failure.

boozehound
07-05-2012, 04:56 PM

the guy you traded for cash?

Morey is a solid gm. Sure, it would have been nice to pick up lin for good last year, but he was their 3rd string pg. He made a good faith effort to keep dragic (who will be considered a bust in a couple of years at 9+million) and that was definitely the right trade (moving brooks for dragic). Too bad lowry is a whiny bitch, but hes letting him move on, as he wasnt happy there. They will be fine next year and in the hunt for the playoffs (again).

Blue&Orange
07-05-2012, 04:59 PM
He was going the acquire-assets-for-big-trade route, and now he is going the clean-cap-build-through-draft route? Only thing that makes sense.

Haymaker
07-05-2012, 05:17 PM
It seems plainly obvious he wants to free up major cap space for 2013. Howard + Paul probably. He's in tank mode. Traded Lowry, probably will trade Scola for expirer. Collecting draft picks for a big offer for Howard most likely.

Howard will only join Nets or Mavs. He's not interested in Houston. I doubt CP3 would leave a good contending team in the Clippers to risk his career to play for Houston.

fatboy11
07-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Was Morey the GM when Rudy Gay was traded for Shane Battier?

b1imtf
07-05-2012, 05:22 PM
A few weeks back he was the best gm in the league...

fatboy11
07-05-2012, 05:24 PM
A few weeks back he was the best gm in the league...

And he'll be the best GM in the league again if he pulls something big out of his ass.

This place flip flops more than a fish out of water.

b1imtf
07-05-2012, 05:26 PM
And he'll be the best GM in the league again if he pulls something big out of his ass.

This place flip flops more than a fish out of water.
Exactly, at least someone gets me :cheers:

KyrieTheFuture
07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
He's considered one of the better GM's in the league. I think he's far far too reliant on advanced statistics they're like his love child.

MeLO MvP 15
07-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I used to think he was really smart, but letting Dragic leave for that price is moronic. Also there's zero chance Lin isn't in NY, so he's got no PG for next season.

It makes sense if they plan on finally tanking instead of being a middle level team fighting for the 8th seed. Except they still have too much talent to completely tank.

Also, I read he offered Lee 4 years $32 mil.... wow, now that's dumb (and I like Lee).

GOBB
07-05-2012, 05:33 PM
fatboy, so Dragic was asking for $10mil per for Rockets and when they didnt budge too his talents to the desert for less than that amount (per year)?

noob cake
07-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Morey hasn't really messed up. Just because Morey can execute a legal maneuver, doesn't mean Stern/players involved/teams/owners will allow it.

He has drafted well for what he has been given. 99% of the fans on ISH doesn't realize but Leslie Alexander is opposed to tanking so Morey has been struggling to rebuild through trading.

Lin might still be a fluke. Regardless, no one in the league knew how good he was. Morey saw his potential and gave him a chance with the Rockets. It just didn't pan out.

McHale hates Lowry. Lowry hates McHale. Lowry demanded a trade after backup PG Dragic became the starter and stole his show. What could Morey do? :rolleyes:

Would resigning Dragic really make us a contender? Especially if he was asking for 10m/year from us. Resigning Dragic just pretty much guarantees us a 14th pick next year.

I think Leslie Alexander has finally seen the errors of his ways and has given Morey the reins to tank. Signing Asik and cash cow Lin are both solid tanking moves.

I wouldn't trade any GM in the league for Morey.

KyrieTheFuture
07-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Morey hasn't really messed up. Just because Morey can execute a legal maneuver, doesn't mean Stern/players involved/teams/owners will allow it.

He has drafted well for what he has been given. 99% of the fans on ISH doesn't realize but Leslie Alexander is opposed to tanking so Morey has been struggling to rebuild through trading.

Lin might still be a fluke. Regardless, no one in the league knew how good he was. Morey saw his potential and gave him a chance with the Rockets. It just didn't pan out.

McHale hates Lowry. Lowry hates McHale. Lowry demanded a trade after backup PG Dragic became the starter and stole his show. What could Morey do? :rolleyes:

Would resigning Dragic really make us a contender? Especially if he was asking for 10m/year from us. Resigning Dragic just pretty much guarantees us a 14th pick next year.

I think Leslie Alexander has finally seen the errors of his ways and has given Morey the reins to tank. Signing Asik and cash cow Lin are both solid tanking moves.

Then you are a fool.

brandonman
07-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I used to think he was really smart, but letting Dragic leave for that price is moronic. Also there's zero chance Lin isn't in NY, so he's got no PG for next season.

It makes sense if they plan on finally tanking instead of being a middle level team fighting for the 8th seed. Except they still have too much talent to completely tank.

Also, I read he offered Lee 4 years $32 mil.... wow, now that's dumb (and I like Lee).

We talk about Dragic like he was an All-Star. He is a top half of the league PG but that is about it. He wasn’t creating miracles for us down the stretch.

I think he needs to cut his losses and move Martin & Scola. Put his rookies on the floor, focus on offense and doing the best you can to fill the seats until we can truly assess the youth on our roster.

Morey got screwed when the Yao/Tmac era failed, and hasn’t recovered since. Everything since has either been a band aid on a bullet wound(Kevin Martin), or strictly a financial decision.

Honestly, saying their is ZERO chance Lin does not stay in NY is much more moronic

blacknapalm
07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
now they're apparently looking at brooks. if lowry was that unhappy, it was important to extend and be more proactive with dragic. they're both better than lin imo...by a decent, albeit not big, margin. brooks is like going back to your ex, funny how he and dragic are possibly switching places again

moreover, you have martin disgruntled with mchale as well. this team needs to package a deal because a poor locker room is not going to help those young players out at all

fatboy11
07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
fatboy, so Dragic was asking for $10mil per for Rockets and when they didnt budge too his talents to the desert for less than that amount (per year)?

I have no clue what kind of money he's getting in Phoenix.

I'm going off this:

Many assumed that the Houston Rockets would easily re-sign point guard Goran Dragic, but it appears negotiations have not gone as planned so far. Dragic is seeking a contract that would pay him in excess of $10 million a season, and the Rockets are unwilling to meet that price at this time, according to ESPN's Marc Stein.

I guess it all depends on how the Phoenix deal is structured.

brandonman
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
now they're apparently looking at brooks. if lowry was that unhappy, it was important to extend and be more proactive with dragic. they're both better than lin imo...by a decent, albeit not big, margin. brooks is like going back to your ex, funny how he and dragic are possibly switching places again

moreover, you have martin disgruntled with mchale as well. this team needs to package a deal because a poor locker room is not going to help those young players out at all

I am not dis-agreeing, the Rockets are a far way out from being a contender(staying put) & with the youth we have, we do not need a sour locker room.

Honestly: Brooks/Lowry/Goran/Lin: No relevant difference in my eyes, and that is an honest opinion from a hardcore Rockets Fan!

It’s not the PG position that separates us from 1st to 9th, or from 9th to last. I'll agree, we NEED a PG, but we need so much more this is not a determining factor in Morey's job status.

AAckley1
07-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Based on their roster, there's no way that either Scola or P.P. are still there by next year. I'm sure they'll be looking to move Martin as well if they want to enter full rebuild mode. Honestly, I could see them moving Scola for picks & cash to a small market team with cap room after free agency as Morey clearly understands the value of having excess picks.

Owl
07-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Was Morey the GM when Rudy Gay was traded for Shane Battier?
Yes.

As for Morey I wouldn't be calling for his head but some recent moves seem questionable. If they didn't think they would re-sign Dragic they should have traded him. His deal doesn't seem excessive in any case.

Lowry has been allowed to go far too cheaply. He was on an excellent deal (something too often ignored in evaluating trades) and if Dragic had to go then he could become the clear full time pg. The Raptors are on the way up (Valanciunas and Lowry should see to that, plus whatever Terence Ross adds) so its unlikely to be a great pick, and that it is protected makes in worse (it will be interesting to see what the protections are). Even if he was unhappy there wasn't anything he could do for another 2 years, and giving him the pg minutes should have helped calm him back down.

Doron Lamb at 12 was questionable pick to me with Henson on the board too, albeit that would have made worse the problem I'm about to mention.

His roster is now packed with forwards who need time to develop and without the minutes to do so (Morris, Patterson, Motiejunas, Parsons, White and Jones). I like the idea of picking the best available player and accumulating assets but those assets are now losing value (as Hill did, as Terrence Williams) and thats a problem.

Still if Houston has a real direction and that is making cap room then that's probably better than the present direction of being stuck in the middle. I was confused because apparently Adelman was allowed to go because he didn't want to rebuild but then they were persuing the expensive and now beginning to decline Gasol. So a fresh start might be what's needed. Still Lowry (and for that matter Dragic) was one of the younger players so I would have been looking to move Martin and Scola first.

fatboy11
07-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes.

As for Morey I wouldn't be calling for his head but some recent moves seem questionable. If they didn't think they would re-sign Dragic they should have traded him. His deal doesn't seem excessive in any case.

Lowry has been allowed to go far too cheaply. He was on an excellent deal (something too often ignored in evaluating trades) and if Dragic had to go then he could become the clear full time pg. The Raptors are on the way up (Valanciunas and Lowry should see to that, plus whatever Terence Ross adds) so its unlikely to be a great pick, and that it is protected makes in worse (it will be interesting to see what the protections are). Even if he was unhappy there wasn't anything he could do for another 2 years, and giving him the pg minutes should have helped calm him back down.

Doron Lamb at 12 was questionable pick to me with Henson on the board too, albeit that would have made worse the problem I'm about to mention.

His roster is now packed with forwards who need time to develop and without the minutes to do so (Morris, Patterson, Motiejunas, Parsons, White and Jones). I like the idea of picking the best available player and accumulating assets but those assets are now losing value (as Hill did, as Terrence Williams) and thats a problem.

Still if Houston has a real direction and that is making cap room then that's probably better than the present direction of being stuck in the middle. I was confused because apparently Adelman was allowed to go because he didn't want to rebuild but then they were persuing the expensive and now beginning to decline Gasol. So a fresh start might be what's needed. Still Lowry (and for that matter Dragic) was one of the younger players so I would have been looking to move Martin and Scola first.

Can't really disagree too much other than to say I like the Lamb pick over Henson. I actually like Royce White over Henson as well.

I hated that he was going to give up so much for Pau Gasol. I hated the Rudy Gay trade from the second it was reported. I hate the attempt to get Dwight Howard. I hate offering Asik and Lin so much money. I hate hearing Josh Smith's name being mentioned. Geez, for someone who seems to be defending Morey on an hourly basis, I sure do hate a lot of the moves he's made.

GOBB
07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Yes.

Its Jeremy Lamb, and Henson is light in the ass. Why do you like him.

Owl
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Its Jeremy Lamb, and Henson is light in the ass. Why do you like him.
Henson has definite NBA skills that do translate (rebounding and blocking). He's already shown he can be a role player and contribute to a successful team by doing so at the college level. He knows his limitations and doesn't take bad shots. He just seems like a very safe pick to give value at that point in the draft.

MeLO MvP 15
07-05-2012, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=brandonman]We talk about Dragic like he was an All-Star. He is a top half of the league PG but that is about it. He wasn

brandonman
07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Do you think the Knicks aren't gonna match??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Couldn't care less, Rockets tank regardless, Knicks get beat 4-1 in the 2nd round instead of the first:applause:

Troutfisch
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Well said, Morey might be a little trade-happy at the moment but the Rockets are only doing what they can to make a play for a star and I can't say I blame them. This franchise has been stuck in mediocrity for far too long.

That being said, it's shaping up to be another rough season this year...:hammerhead:

Euroleague
07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that Daryl Morey is a retard.

bagelred
07-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Morey...talking out loud........"I can't understand this. Last season, I had FOUR point guards. I traded Kyle Lowry, I let Goran Dragic go to Phoenix, Jeremy Lin will end up a Knick........please god, help me, what do I do now???!!!":confusedshrug:

Jonny Flynn "Hey Daryl, I'm still available!":D

Morey.......looking up............ "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO............. ........"

FrankTony
07-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Most overrated GM in the NBA

The funny thing is that 90% of the Houston fans protect him like crazy. He looks like those Herbalife turds that brainwash people's mind.

All promises of Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, 2nd pick, 5th pick and in the end he is stuck with 7 PFs, no starting PG and no starting Center.

chazzy
07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Bump

noob cake
07-05-2013, 09:17 PM

Let this be evidence

DMAVS41
07-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Most overrated GM in the NBA

The funny thing is that 90% of the Houston fans protect him like crazy. He looks like those Herbalife turds that brainwash people's mind.

All promises of Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, 2nd pick, 5th pick and in the end he is stuck with 7 PFs, no starting PG and no starting Center.

Please let them get Josh Smith....:lol

Mr Exlax
07-06-2013, 10:50 PM
God damn ISH is littered with idiots. Please let one of these guys comment.

Lateralus
07-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Can't tell who ist he biggest dumb fcuk here: Euroleague or the OP lol

Fakkit

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bmd
07-06-2013, 11:10 PM
I bet you guys feel like a horse's ass now.

deja vu
07-06-2013, 11:11 PM
:biggums:

:roll:

rezznor
07-06-2013, 11:13 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibh0VF78wk4kst.gif

DeuceWallaces
07-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Really, he's awesome because OKC wanted to shed money and Dwight is a mega ***** who couldn't make it in LA? So he's great now?

rezznor
07-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Really, he's awesome because OKC wanted to shed money and Dwight is a mega ***** who couldn't make it in LA? So he's great now?
Tell me again why harden and Dwight didn't end up elsewhere then ?

spiegel
07-06-2013, 11:51 PM
I think the jokes on you retard

Graviton
07-06-2013, 11:55 PM
I still have no idea how Rockets have so much cap space. Harden/Howard are getting like max money then there is Asik/Lin getting shitload as well, they will lose Chandler at this rate because he will be getting payed soon.

DeuceWallaces
07-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Tell me again why harden and Dwight didn't end up elsewhere then ?

Because of state tax and Dwight being a ***** who can't handle a storied franchise or an intense team mate.

Let's see what happens when you realize Dwight is past his peak and will have a history of back problems. It'll be a great contract then. J'O 2.0.

blacknapalm
07-07-2013, 12:04 AM

he flipped lowry, k-mart and lamb into harden and dwight. he lured dwight away from a mega market....it doesn't get much better in two offseasons. did it help that DH didn't really like MDA and kobe? sure, but he still got DH to leave behind a ton less money.

PickernRoller
07-07-2013, 12:10 AM
he flipped lowry, k-mart and lamb into harden and dwight. he lured dwight away from a mega market....it doesn't get much better in two offseasons. did it help that DH didn't really like MDA and kobe? sure, but he still got DH to leave behind a ton less money.

DH is a bag of tricks...maybe it wasn't Morey doing the job. Maybe Dwight just wanted out and Houston was the best option. Could be that simple. But yeah, gotta give him credit for putting himself in that position at the end of the day. Still a gamble thou......

If he had lost - well, OP wouldn't look like an idiot now. Hindsight is a b1tch.

DeuceWallaces
07-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Wait a couple years until he has that Lin contract, the biggest bust in last years draft, and a broke down Dwightmare with nothing to show for it except a 2nd round exit (if he's lucky).

ALBballer
07-07-2013, 12:30 AM

He positioned the team and added two borderline superstars one being a big and other being a guard (a good recipe for a championship quality team.) Not to mention he has another big in Asik that would start on 90% of teams and Chandler Parsons that is one of the better swingman propsects. Dude deserves alot of credit for creating a championship calibur team without having to tank and not being in a large market to lure free agents.

Morey:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

ALBballer
07-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Though he did goofed up by not keeping Dragic. This current Rockets team with Dragic would be insane.

PickernRoller
07-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Though he did goofed up by not keeping Dragic. This current Rockets team with Dragic would be insane.

I say the Suns are up there and probably beat them in a series. 2010 WCF Suns.

DeuceWallaces
07-07-2013, 12:46 AM
He positioned the team and added two borderline superstars one being a big and other being a guard (a good recipe for a championship quality team.) Not to mention he has another big in Asik that would start on 90% of teams and Chandler Parsons that is one of the better swingman propsects. Dude deserves alot of credit for creating a championship calibur team without having to tank and not being in a large market to lure free agents.

Morey:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Lol championship caliber. They'll be lucky to make the WCF yet alone win a title.

longtime lurker
07-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Daryl Morey is an overrated GM. He does a lot of trades that message board posters jizz their pants for but he doesn't actually do anything. Guy is the new Kevin Pritchard. Has no concern for team chemistry and trades players like dynasty mode in 2K.

Johnny Jones
07-07-2013, 01:05 AM
***** ***** bitch ***** *****. ***** fried chicken ***** watermelon *****. Bitch *****, *****, white women, titties ass

longtime lurker
07-07-2013, 01:07 AM
***** ***** bitch ***** *****. ***** fried chicken ***** watermelon *****. Bitch *****, *****, white women, titties ass

Well said.

Johnny Jones
07-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Well said.
:dancin