PDA

View Full Version : Lin agrees to terms with the Houston Rockets

knickscity
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick

Per source, Lin's offer sheet is worth $5 mil in first season, $5.2 in the second, $9.3 in the third and $9.3 in the fourth (team option)
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Sounds fair could very well have been higher.

The fourth year team option will be pretty good for the club.

Rameek
07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Wow I thought this deal was going to be extremely ugly but its within reason.... I have no issue without at this point.

knickscity
07-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Morey threw us a bone for raping us in that T-Mac trade.:lol

bluechox2
07-05-2012, 10:46 PM
we can resign lin to a deal after the 3rd year if he plays well

if Toronto were smart, they would have done the same in case plans backfired :lol

knicks would have matched that fields contract if there was a team option

el gringos
07-07-2012, 07:57 PM
does that mean that its houston or ny for Lin? or could lin be involved in a s+t to a team like dallas or milwaukee or whoever

why would Lin be foolish enough to sign with a team that doesnt think he can play enough to even make their roster last season? shouldnt he see that he is just a pr move for them or does he really believe a coach that didnt want him before will want to help him now?

if ny does let him go to houston does it benifit them at all to do a trade? give the Knicks Motiejunas in a sign and trade and its all good

knickscity
07-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I think it was a back door type deal between the GM's.

It's basically a three year deal.

We'll match, 100% assured of that.

franchize
07-13-2012, 05:47 PM
I think it was a back door type deal between the GM's.

It's basically a three year deal.

We'll match, 100% assured of that.
So turns out the Rockets may be upping the deal to a 3 yr deal where the third year is 14.9! Thats a lot of dinero :( He would be making more money than Chandler in his third year

knickscity
07-13-2012, 09:45 PM
That's one hell of a backload.

franchize
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM
This would normally be the point where I say I told you so but Id rather just ask you guys if youre still as certain about resigning him. Not even trying to sound like a hater. There are point guards that Im actually a bigger fan of that Im not willing to give that money. 15 mil in the deciding year for our "big three". That a whole heap of money for even an established player let alone a guy we cant even definitively say will be a top 10 pg in the league. At the very least, our decision just became less of a no brainer.

Draz
07-14-2012, 01:41 AM
he's the cash cow for ny. he's coming back. I don't even want him.

bluechox2
07-14-2012, 01:56 AM
rockets changed the deal mfers

they gave him 15 in the 3rd year

knickscity
07-14-2012, 07:22 AM
If Lin can average 14/7 in the first two seasons, then he's underpaid in those two.

The backload is Dolan problem, and his money isn't my concern at all.

It would be different if the team wasn't with a high payroll prior to.

But no way Lin doesn't get matched, no need to debate.

franchize
07-14-2012, 08:52 AM
If Lin can average 14/7 in the first two seasons, then he's underpaid in those two.

The backload is Dolan problem, and his money isn't my concern at all.

It would be different if the team wasn't with a high payroll prior to.

But no way Lin doesn't get matched, no need to debate.
Everyone knows hes getting matched. The debate is about whether he SHOULD. I would have let him walk regardless but I wasnt totally against the original deal. This new one however is a bit much. I think Houston is just trying to stick it to us now out of spite. Theyre trying to screw us over like Toronto did because they know we will match any deal. We are gonna pay for making decisions based on marketing...ironic.

knickscity
07-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Why would the team not match? Not matching doesn't free up any money.

They very well could have negotiated a smaller deal, but chose to allow lin to set his price.

Nothing but a formality imo.

bluechox2
07-14-2012, 10:07 AM
not my money anyway...dolan rakes in more than enough cash to cover taxes...

just hate the rockets for ****ing with us

percelloveknicks
07-14-2012, 04:15 PM
All the teams know the knicks organization is soft as hell, we are always gonna be taking advantage of. Always giving away our first round picks for second round players, overpaying for middle of the road players, no bs alot of guys on this forum ideas are alot better than anything the fo does.

franchize
07-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Why do I get the feeling we will still bring Lin back? Felton is only making 10 mil over three years...which is only a mil over what Kidd makes.

percelloveknicks
07-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Im starting to get the same feeling, this dumbass organization is pathetic. The contract started with 4 yrs 25 million, with a big increase in the last yr. Now the rockets get grimey by shortening the years with the same amount of dough!!!! Also in the last year the rockets pay 8 million, while the knicks have to pay 15 million.

franchize
07-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Im starting to get the same feeling, this dumbass organization is pathetic. The contract started with 4 yrs 25 million, with a big increase in the last yr. Now the rockets get grimey by shortening the years with the same amount of dough!!!! Also in the last year the rockets pay 8 million, while the knicks have to pay 15 million.
Yea, I heard about that. How does that work? You have any literature explaining it? It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

percelloveknicks
07-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Yea, I heard about that. How does that work? You have any literature explaining it? It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks. nah man im sorry, i got the info from tweets from frank isola and mark berman from the post.

franchize
07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
nah man im sorry, i got the info from tweets from frank isola and mark berman from the post.
Its all good. Ill do some research n see what I can find.I

Rameek
07-16-2012, 01:16 AM
sayonarra to lin.

Lin and Houston did nothing wrong IMHO. its a business and the Knicks took a risk by allowing Lin to find his market value.

I am highly supportive of athletes getting there money. if the knicks dont want to pay thats there problem.

Rameek
07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
The original offer was 9 mill with a team option but they upped the offer to 14 mill the 3rd year to put the Knicks in luxury tax hell.

bluechox2
07-16-2012, 02:38 AM
good luck houston, enjoy linsanity (dolan should have trademark that to the knicks)

franchize
07-16-2012, 09:14 AM
sayonarra to lin.

Lin and Houston did nothing wrong IMHO. its a business and the Knicks took a risk by allowing Lin to find his market value.

I am highly supportive of athletes getting there money. if the knicks dont want to pay thats there problem.
I agree. Lin chose to take the wiser business decision over familiarity. I can't blame him for that. At the same time, there are a lot of ignorant Knicks fans that will blame Dolan and the Knicks front office for not matching...when essentially they did the same thing. Lin going to Houston is the best decision financially in his opinion. Us not matching was the best business decision also. No love lost here. I enjoyed him as a Knick while he was here and I'm happy he brought excitement to the Garden and NYC. I wish the kid good luck. He's certainly gonna need it. He has to face Paul, Nash, Westbrook, Parker, Lawson, Rubio and Curry 4 times each.

Rameek
07-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I like him and i really wish other knick players had his work ethic. You can bash him on the way out not me he's a winner. Now he's getting paid. I thought he was a good match with Melo especially with Stat not being a contributor most nights. He could have been that robin to his batman.

lin h8terz better pray felton comes to play mentally and physically.

I agree. Lin chose to take the wiser business decision over familiarity. I can't blame him for that. At the same time, there are a lot of ignorant Knicks fans that will blame Dolan and the Knicks front office for not matching...when essentially they did the same thing. Lin going to Houston is the best decision financially in his opinion. Us not matching was the best business decision also. No love lost here. I enjoyed him as a Knick while he was here and I'm happy he brought excitement to the Garden and NYC. I wish the kid good luck. He's certainly gonna need it. He has to face Paul, Nash, Westbrook, Parker, Lawson, Rubio and Curry 4 times each.

insidehoops
07-16-2012, 02:17 PM
NY Post:

Just four days ago, Woodson gushed that the Knicks would

Rameek
07-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Doesnt matter what the luxury tax hit would be. I rather make a play for CP3 next season or someone like of that ilk. At least go in the luxury tax zone for an established star and not potential. I do believe he will turn out to be a top 3rd PG but not after 26 games.

I am a big supporter of giving Lin a chance but he isnt worth it.

Da KO King
07-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Doesnt matter what the luxury tax hit would be. I rather make a play for CP3 next season or someone like of that ilk. At least go in the luxury tax zone for an established star and not potential. I do believe he will turn out to be a top 3rd PG but not after 26 games.

I am a big supporter of giving Lin a chance but he isnt worth it.
So you think Jeremy Lin will be a top 10 PG in the NBA?

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 03:59 PM
You could possibly use Lin to trade to LA. I am sure Sterling would love the money Lin brings to the team.

franchize
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I like him and i really wish other knick players had his work ethic. You can bash him on the way out not me he's a winner. Now he's getting paid. I thought he was a good match with Melo especially with Stat not being a contributor most nights. He could have been that robin to his batman.

lin h8terz better pray felton comes to play mentally and physically.

Wait...how did I bash him?

franchize
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
You could possibly use Lin to trade to LA. I am sure Sterling would love the money Lin brings to the team.
I was thinking the same thing. CP3 and Jordan for Lin and Chandler or something along those lines

Bano114
07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Wait...how did I bash him?

I dont think he meant you specifically...

Rameek
07-17-2012, 09:52 AM
i changed my mind. i have been debating this but i say sign him see what we got and then later we can trade him to houston or toronto.

Rameek
07-17-2012, 10:08 AM
So you think Jeremy Lin will be a top 10 PG in the NBA?
yes i think he will be in the top 3rd in the league. his shortcomings can be cured with work ethic and development and experience. the kid is 23 with a great mind. i do believe he got a big head though.

why cant he be a scoring pg? i know woodson doesnt like it or him. but at the end of the day what was the knicks problem last year they had no scoring option after melo. the kid scores meaningful baskets and ft's.

so what his defense isnt great he could be a good team defender. there are only a handful of starting pg's that are considered good defenders.

Da KO King
07-17-2012, 01:28 PM
yes i think he will be in the top 3rd in the league. his shortcomings can be cured with work ethic and development and experience. the kid is 23 with a great mind. i do believe he got a big head though.
I can't agree with that and that's why I think the contract he was offered is crazy.

Barring new injuries, poor rehab from current injuries or unforeseen legal situations I think we can definitely expect the following will all be better than Lin heading into Lin's big money year: Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Kyrie Irving.

With the same exceptions as above I don't think it's absurd to find that the following are also better in two years: Kyle Lowry, Darren Collison, Ricky Rubio, Jrue Holiday.

That's not including prospects currently on the radar like CJ McCollum or Phil Pressey.

Until I start getting checks from the organization the marketing opportunities a player bring to the table mean absolutely nothing to me. When you can reasonably expect 12 guys at the same position will be better than a guy making $15 million then that guy shouldn't get $15 million.

knickscity
07-17-2012, 01:29 PM
The pg position is being manned by mostly converted sg's.

So stating top 10 isn't saying much.

el gringos
07-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I wanted Lin traded at peak of linsanity or thought he could be traded this offseason, but even with that contract which would kill trade value there is no way not to bring him back now. I think Shumpert is more important long term but why give Lin away? Money is supposed to be no object for the Knicks.

franchize
07-17-2012, 04:39 PM
i changed my mind. i have been debating this but i say sign him see what we got and then later we can trade him to houston or toronto.
Everyone keeps saying this but if he's proven to be a bust, who's going to want him. Sure his 15 mil is a expiring contract, but that's 3 years away.

I just don't get how everyone is always preaching cap space. We praised Walsh because he cleared all this cap but when it comes to Lin, money doesn't matter. If that's the case, why not bring back Landry? Sure he's overpaid and sure he was only a flash in the pan in a D'Antoni, stat padding system, but isn't Lin essentially the same thing? Is Lin better than Landry? Absolutely. But it's not much different.

Bottom line is, if a guy isn't definitively better than Raymond Felton, he should not be getting this contract. If a guy gets busted up whenever he faces elite point guards, he sould not be getting this contract. If a guy needs a mentor to play PG, he should not be getting this contract. Period! I know basketball is a business. But why all of a sudden does everyone care about James Dolan making money. You want him to make extra money, go to more games!

Rameek
07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Bro after last season Telfair was better than Felton. Felton has a lot of sh!t to prove. Dude was a complete unprofessional bust.

I was thinking of selling him after the 2nd year. As an expirer but I am really just curious how he would perform this season with a camp.

Remember the Knicks are over the cap already or damn near close.

Lin is not worth the contract though.

Everyone keeps saying this but if he's proven to be a bust, who's going to want him. Sure his 15 mil is a expiring contract, but that's 3 years away.

I just don't get how everyone is always preaching cap space. We praised Walsh because he cleared all this cap but when it comes to Lin, money doesn't matter. If that's the case, why not bring back Landry? Sure he's overpaid and sure he was only a flash in the pan in a D'Antoni, stat padding system, but isn't Lin essentially the same thing? Is Lin better than Landry? Absolutely. But it's not much different.

Bottom line is, if a guy isn't definitively better than Raymond Felton, he should not be getting this contract. If a guy gets busted up whenever he faces elite point guards, he sould not be getting this contract. If a guy needs a mentor to play PG, he should not be getting this contract. Period! I know basketball is a business. But why all of a sudden does everyone care about James Dolan making money. You want him to make extra money, go to more games!

Rameek
07-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Why cant he be a scoring PG? Why cant he do like Russell, Rose, Deron? Wasnt like he was selfishly scoring and ignoring other players.

I can't agree with that and that's why I think the contract he was offered is crazy.

Barring new injuries, poor rehab from current injuries or unforeseen legal situations I think we can definitely expect the following will all be better than Lin heading into Lin's big money year: Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo, Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Kyrie Irving.

With the same exceptions as above I don't think it's absurd to find that the following are also better in two years: Kyle Lowry, Darren Collison, Ricky Rubio, Jrue Holiday.

That's not including prospects currently on the radar like CJ McCollum or Phil Pressey.

Until I start getting checks from the organization the marketing opportunities a player bring to the table mean absolutely nothing to me. When you can reasonably expect 12 guys at the same position will be better than a guy making $15 million then that guy shouldn't get $15 million.

Da KO King
07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Why cant he be a scoring PG? Why cant he do like Russell, Rose, Deron? Wasnt like he was selfishly scoring and ignoring other players.
Whether or not he scores has NOTHING to do with my point. My point is the guy will have a salary that suggest he is roughly in the top 20 of all players in the LEAGUE, in reality the guy isn't even a top 12 player at his position.

franchize
07-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Bro after last season Telfair was better than Felton. Felton has a lot of sh!t to prove. Dude was a complete unprofessional bust.

I was thinking of selling him after the 2nd year. As an expirer but I am really just curious how he would perform this season with a camp.

Remember the Knicks are over the cap already or damn near close.

Lin is not worth the contract though.
Lol How do you become a bust after 7 solid yrs in the league? We all agree Felton was out of shape but I think its much easier for Felton to get back in shape than to teach Lin how to play defense, stop turning the ball over, and be stronger with the ball. At this point, I dont even care what we do. If Lin falls on his face, Felton isnt spectacular but he is more than capable. If we had just Felton, Id be a little less adamant about it. We will have 4 pgs on the team if we sign Lin at the tune of about 50 million dollars and none of them are great.

Rameek
07-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Whether or not he scores has NOTHING to do with my point. My point is the guy will have a salary that suggest he is roughly in the top 20 of all players in the LEAGUE, in reality the guy isn't even a top 12 player at his position.
wont never know now will we... moot point the knicks wont match.
I was talking about felton last year if you ever seen him play it was embarrassing he was atrocious. felton has been ok avg nothing spectacular or steller outside his MDA year.

Scoooter
07-17-2012, 08:26 PM
You realize a player's worth can be determined by more than just his play, right?

Da KO King
07-17-2012, 08:31 PM
You realize a player's worth can be determined by more than just his play, right?
Unless I'm getting a check then no it can't.

Why all of a sudden do basketball fans care about marketability? Since when did marketing win a game?

People are continually moving the goal post. Any other time we want guys for what they can do on the floor. Now, when it is plain as day that the standard of play will NOT meet the value of the contract we want to include off the floor considerations to justify making the deal.

Rameek
07-17-2012, 08:34 PM

Why all of a sudden do basketball fans care about marketability? Since when did marketing win a game?

People are continually moving the goal post. Any other time we want guys for what they can do on the floor. Now, when it is plain as day that the standard of play will NOT meet the value of the contract we want to include off the floor considerations to justify making the deal.
I'm just glad the knicks had a player that moved the meter and there was a positive buzz around.

Scoooter
07-17-2012, 08:38 PM

So unless Da KO King is getting cash considerations from the Knicks, player marketability has no impact on contracts?

I'm sorry, who are you?

Da KO King
07-17-2012, 08:52 PM
So unless Da KO King is getting cash considerations from the Knicks, player marketability has no impact on contracts?

I'm sorry, who are you?
Someone watching games, wanting the team to WIN.

I'll ask you this, if the team being profitable/marketable mattered to you then why have you along with the rest of us been so disappointed in the on-court performance of the team over the years?

Scoooter
07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Someone watching games, wanting the team to WIN.

I'll ask you this, if the team being profitable/marketable mattered to you then why have you along with the rest of us been so disappointed in the on-court performance of the team over the years?
I don't see how that at all impacts the realities of NBA contracts. You or I don't have any say in what players get paid. Kobe Bryant makes a fortune in part because of how many jerseys he sells for the Lakers. But I don't see a dime of that money. I was never even consulted! :confusedshrug:

Da KO King
07-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't see how that at all impacts the realities of NBA contracts. You or I don't have any say in what players get paid. Kobe Bryant makes a fortune in part because of how many jerseys he sells for the Lakers. But I don't see a dime of that money. I was never even consulted! :confusedshrug:
Kobe Bryant is also a top 10 player in the entire league and unquestionably top 2 at his position.

For weeks now I've listened to people complain about the Knicks potentially (now reality) not matching the contract of an over-rated player that was about to become over-paid.

Draz
07-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Let's be real here. Lin helped us get to the playoffs. Let's appreciate him, but he left for money. We have a good PG in Felton I loved him here. Kidd, especially. Knicks fans don't be mad at the owner, be happy we came across such excitement and it ended. It's NY, who knows what happens next. My biggest disappointment wasn't resigning Lin but letting Jared Jeffries go. Guy played with full ****ing heart and we ditch him, again..

shoops
07-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Let's be real here. Lin helped us get to the playoffs. Let's appreciate him, but he left for money.
Money that Dolan has. He's not wrong for going for the money, dude is finally really getting paid. He probably wouldn't have minded staying in NY, but I think he felt he also didn't really fit there any more either. Landry already left, he wouldn't have had that many buddies left in the locker room other than Novak and Chandler, and he probably didn't get along that well with Melo and JR Shit. Also, I don't think he would've developed that well under Woodson, whose offensive schemes have been limited in the past to say the least.

Bano114
07-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Let's be real here. Lin helped us get to the playoffs. Let's appreciate him, but he left for money. We have a good PG in Felton I loved him here. Kidd, especially. Knicks fans don't be mad at the owner, be happy we came across such excitement and it ended. It's NY, who knows what happens next. My biggest disappointment wasn't resigning Lin but letting Jared Jeffries go. Guy played with full ****ing heart and we ditch him, again..

:wtf: :oldlol:

That's funny.

I wouldn't be too worried though if he gets cut from the Mavs like I heard he would he'll be back with the Knicks by January. Book it. :facepalm

There's a reason he keeps getting cut by other teams.

Scoooter
07-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Kobe Bryant is also a top 10 player in the entire league and unquestionably top 2 at his position.
So your contention is that Kobe's ablity to sell shoes and jerseys in no way impacts the deals he gets.

For weeks now I've listened to people complain about the Knicks potentially (now reality) not matching the contract of an over-rated player that was about to become over-paid.
The Knicks do that all the time though. :confusedshrug:

Scoooter
07-18-2012, 05:04 AM
:wtf: :oldlol:

That's funny.

I wouldn't be too worried though if he gets cut from the Mavs like I heard he would he'll be back with the Knicks by January. Book it. :facepalm

There's a reason he keeps getting cut by other teams.
I think he's only been "cut" (really, bought out) the once.

bluechox2
07-18-2012, 05:17 AM
jeffries has to wait a few months before coming back to us

but most likely i see him joining us for the playoff run

Da KO King
07-18-2012, 07:57 AM
So your contention is that Kobe's ablity to sell shoes and jerseys in no way impacts the deals he gets.I'm saying that UNLIKE Jerremy Lin the marketability does not far overshadow what you will get on th court over a season. Bryant is a top 10 overall player and his salary matche that status. Lin is not even top 10 at his position but will paid a salary that should go to a top 20 overall player.

The Knicks do that all the time though. :confusedshrug:
And we've complained and been down about it EVERY time. Why was this time different? As a fanbase we have NEVER been fine with purely marketing moves so why was it accetable this time?

bluechox2
07-18-2012, 10:49 AM
i can see lin clashing in houston who have a majority of new young players who will be looking for their own

franchize
07-18-2012, 11:45 AM
i can see lin clashing in houston who have a majority of new young players who will be looking for their own
In all seriousness, I hope McHale doesn't ruin him. He's already clashed with Lowry, Dragic and Martin. Far from a player's coach.

I'm saying that UNLIKE Jerremy Lin the marketability does not far overshadow what you will get on th court over a season. Bryant is a top 10 overall player and his salary matche that status. Lin is not even top 10 at his position but will paid a salary that should go to a top 20 overall player.

Darren Rovell, ESPN's business insider, gave an interesting perspective on Lin's impact on business. He says Lin's marketability is obvious noteworthy but it is greatly exaggerated. He says the money we make off of Merchandise for Lin wouldnt pay for 2 weeks of his salary. People forget, Merchandise outside of what is sold on the Knicks website and in the arena, gets divided among all 30 teams.

Lin's biggest contribution financially was the expiditing of the Time Warner deal. THAT was his hugest impact off court.

Ticket Sales are unaffected. The most money is made off of season tickets and those have ALWAYS sold out.

The stock numbers don't really affect Dolan. Besides, they're determined by the Knicks winning moreso than any 1 player.

Remember, even before Melo got here, the Knicks were back and forth with LA for the most valuable NBA franshise in the league. They still are.

Rameek
07-18-2012, 01:45 PM
stock prices are dropping.

franchize
07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
stock prices are dropping.
Do your research. They were dropping all year. If the Knicks win, all of this will be much ado about nothin

Rameek
07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Do your research. They were dropping all year. If the Knicks win, all of this will be much ado about nothin
didnt see the stock drop this much in 2 days.... but could be much ado about nothin... not even being sarcastic.

just to be clear the original deal was pallatable but the new one wasnt.

he had to go do his money.

franchize
07-19-2012, 08:35 AM
didnt see the stock drop this much in 2 days.... but could be much ado about nothin... not even being sarcastic.

just to be clear the original deal was pallatable but the new one wasnt.

he had to go do his money.

It's hilarious to see so many people crying and complaining and whining about losing this kid. I liked the story as much as the next guy but one thing bothers me. Where was all the fuss and outrage and 11k signatures on petitions when Mark Jackson got traded? He was Rookie of the Year and had crazy chemistry with Pat Ewing.

End of the day, like you said, he had to go get his dough and we had to do what was best for us. I just find is disgusting and shameful that the hacks at ESPN are trying to make it more than that.

Scoooter
07-19-2012, 03:43 PM
It's hard to say what would have happened had the internet been around back then.

bluechox2
07-19-2012, 10:59 PM
ive gotten over the lin loss...time to move on and get thsi current group clicking...excited to watch amare and felton once again

percelloveknicks
07-20-2012, 11:04 AM
ive gotten over the lin loss...time to move on and get thsi current group clicking...excited to watch amare and felton once again I'll tell you what, amare better step his hundred million dollar ass up or im gonna start a petition to get rid of his ass. It's funny no body puts any pressure on him just melo.

franchize
07-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I'll tell you what, amare better step his hundred million dollar ass up or im gonna start a petition to get rid of his ass. It's funny no body puts any pressure on him just melo.
Pretty much. He left his team high and dry in back to back year from self induced non-basketball injuries. He has a lot to prove.

Clutch
07-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Pretty much. He left his team high and dry in back to back year from self induced non-basketball injuries. He has a lot to prove.
I just wonder what he will do next season in order to avoid the playoffs.
First he injured his back trying to show off and then he was mad at fire extinguisher.

knickscity
07-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I just wonder what he will do next season in order to avoid the playoffs.
First he injured his back trying to show off and then he was mad at fire extinguisher.
Considering yesterday he actually said anything less than a championship is a wasted season, I have no idea what to expect from Amare.

Scoooter
07-20-2012, 01:46 PM
That sounds like a good attitude to have.

Clutch
07-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Considering yesterday he actually said anything less than a championship is a wasted season, I have no idea what to expect from Amare.
Last season he said he's going hunting to South Beach.
Amare is all talk.

Most of Knicks fans blame Melo for all but the fact is that Amare had worse stats,played worse defense and did more stupid stuff (see the fire extinguisher incident) than Melo.

Scoooter
07-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Amar'e isn't perfect, but he was very marginilized on the team. You can't score much when you're only getting 5 or 6 shots. And I don't see how his defense was worse. They're both mostly bad with isolated moments of competence.

I believe Amar'e would go back to his 2011 form on a different team.

Clutch
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Amar'e isn't perfect, but he was very marginilized on the team. You can't score much when you're only getting 5 or 6 shots. And I don't see how his defense was worse. They're both mostly bad with isolated moments of competence.

Then you should visit an eye specialist.

Scoooter
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Chris Bosh wasn't the one killing us in the first round, LeBron was.

franchize
07-20-2012, 03:11 PM

The point guard bring the ball up the court. If ou want theball and you feel you can do better, demand it. You can't blame Melo for Amare not being helthy. You can't blame Melo for Amare not developing a low post game. You can't blame Melo for Amare's conditioning. You can't blame Melo for Amare not playing defense.

Can't say one guy killed and rip the other guy when the numbers look like these. Stats don't tell the whole story but numbers never lie:

Player A
27.8 ppg
6rpg
5 apg
47%FG
35%3P
80%FT
4.2TOpg

Player B
27.8 ppg
8 rpg
2apg
43%FG
33%3P
80%FT
2.8TOpg

shoops
07-20-2012, 03:15 PM

I agree that Amare didn't get many touches, was underutilized. Woodson didn't really do much to run some plays using him. Probably a better fit on a diff team. Defense wise, Carmelo wasn't much better, but I guess Amare being a big man has a larger responsibility to stop penetration into the paint in addition to chandler, and that's where his revolving door was problematic.

franchize
07-20-2012, 03:16 PM

I don't know how serious Amare was, but I can say I was very impressed with Felton's answers. They didn't seem scripted. He seemed like a guy who's pissed at the critics and will come in ready to take heads off... especially Lin's. I think he feels like people see him as this huge step down. I don't blame him. Sure Lin has more "upside" but Felton certainly has a longer track record. He seemed pissed. I never was a Felton fan I felt he was overrated @ UNC. But I always liked his toughness.

BTW...another fun fact. LeBron's lowest PPG in the playoffs was in the 1st round against the Knicks!

Scoooter
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
The point guard bring the ball up the court. If ou want theball and you feel you can do better, demand it. You can't blame Melo for Amare not being helthy. You can't blame Melo for Amare not developing a low post game. You can't blame Melo for Amare's conditioning. You can't blame Melo for Amare not playing defense.
I wasn't blaming Melo, I was blaming Woodson.

Can't say one guy killed and rip the other guy when the numbers look like these. Stats don't tell the whole story but numbers never lie:

Player A
27.8 ppg
6rpg
5 apg
47%FG
35%3P
80%FT
4.2TOpg

Player B
27.8 ppg
8 rpg
2apg
43%FG
33%3P
80%FT
2.8TOpg
Looks like A is better. Is that LeBron? What were those numbers from?

And you're not considering defense. LeBron locked Carmelo down on almost every single possession they were matched up. It was superb defense. Melo did his damage when Battier was on him.

Clutch
07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
First of all LeBron is so much better than Bosh that it's stupid to compare two of them.

LeBron was killing it all playoffs long. Do you know against which team he had the worst stats ? Yeah,the Knicks.
He averaged 28/6/6 against us. Melo had 28/8/2. Yeah,he wasn't as efficient but those are respectable numbers.
But look what LeBron averaged against other teams:
vs Pacers: 30/11/6
vs Celtics: 34/11/4
vs OKC: 29/11/7

So Melo defended LeBron better than Granger,Pierce or Durant did.

On the other hand Bosh averaged the most points against us.

Scoooter
07-20-2012, 04:17 PM
I just realized that Chandler was guarding Bosh a lot. So I guess it doesn't make sense.

Joel Anthony didn't do much though. :D

franchize
07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
I wasn't blaming Melo, I was blaming Woodson.

Looks like A is better. Is that LeBron? What were those numbers from?

And you're not considering defense. LeBron locked Carmelo down on almost every single possession they were matched up. It was superb defense. Melo did his damage when Battier was on him.
Yea because Lebron didnt want to guard Melo. Just like he didnt wanna guard Durant. Bottom line is, theyre numbers are very comparable, so you cant act like Lebron killed Melo. Especially when Melo wasnt bitchmade like he was. Also, you cany ignore the fact that Lebrons lowest ppg was against us this playoffs.

When Lebron was on Melo, he went right at him. When Melo was on Lebron, he calls for a pick. I watched each game over with my pops who DVRd ir.

Scoooter
07-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Yea because Lebron didnt want to guard Melo. Just like he didnt wanna guard Durant. Bottom line is, theyre numbers are very comparable, so you cant act like Lebron killed Melo. Especially when Melo wasnt bitchmade like he was. Also, you cany ignore the fact that Lebrons lowest ppg was against us this playoffs.

When Lebron was on Melo, he went right at him. When Melo was on Lebron, he calls for a pick. I watched each game over with my pops who DVRd ir.
I can't imagine why this would be the case when every time he did guard Melo he came away with the upper hand - regardless of Melo "going right at him". I think having Battier there was Spoelstra's decision. A way to keep a decent defender on Melo while letting Melo get his without involving the rest of the team - as is usually how his game works.

Ultimate I'd say it worked.

Rameek
07-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Lets not compare these 2 players at all... in no capacity. Just doesnt even make sense.

Melo is not on his level not even close. You want to take pride in what you call a close match up head to head thats fine. I dont.

franchize
07-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Lets not compare these 2 players at all... in no capacity. Just doesnt even make sense.

Melo is not on his level not even close. You want to take pride in what you call a close match up head to head thats fine. I dont.
Well if its close then he is on his level...

Your brain is so trained to saying Melo is only a scorer that you keep regurgitating it regardless of the facts. Nobody is disputing that Lebron is better than Melo. But to act like Melo isnt even in the same league is ridiculous. Bottom line is, their numbers and production were very similar, Lebron scored the least in the playoffs vs us and Melo scored 42 and 35 respectively in his last two games. The question isnt whether Melo is better than Lebron. The question should be how many players can do that vs Lebron consistently? If your list is longer than 3 people, your lying to yourself just to prove a point. Then, when you get that list, tell me how many people on it did the Knicks have a shot at acquiring. I guarantee you the answer will be ZERO! And THAT is why you make the trade. Because Wilson Chandler and/or Gallinari cant compete in the playoffs vs Lebron. They may play well for a game but its not going to happen for a whole series. You know it, I know it, the fans know it, big name free agents know it too. Funny how everyone always says nobody wants to play with the Knicks. How many guys are clamoring to go to Denver? All theyve done is resign their own guys, who were restricted FA.

End of the day, in the playoffs when it counts, Carmelo Anthony was giving just as much as he was getting; and for that, he is worth every penny IMO. If you didnt see that, then I guess we are watching two different things.

franchize
07-21-2012, 10:22 AM
I can't imagine why this would be the case when every time he did guard Melo he came away with the upper hand - regardless of Melo "going right at him". I think having Battier there was Spoelstra's decision. A way to keep a decent defender on Melo while letting Melo get his without involving the rest of the team - as is usually how his game works.

Ultimate I'd say it worked.
Lebron has the luxury to do that. N that wasnt Spoelstras strategy. His strategy was to throw multiple looks at Melo. Start with Lebron. Before Melo can adjust, switch defenders. Miller guarded him. Battier guarded him. Wade guarded him at times too. So unless Melo comes out guns blazing, of course his numbers will look worse against Lebron. Hes always best in the 4th qtr. Furthermore, the Heat have the luxury of doing that...which is why I have no respect for Lebrons decision. He doesnt have to guard the best player on the court. Melo does. Who else would? Furthermore, on D, he can guard Tyson Chandler because as long as you defend pick n roll and lobs, he is inept offensively. If Novak is on the court, as long as you dont help off of him, hes inept too. Plus we didnt have a pg that needs to be taken seriously either. So essentially, we only have three guys that are playmakers. One is as dumb as a bag of rocks and the other is playing with one hand.

knickscity
07-21-2012, 10:34 AM
How did a thread about Lin turn into this?

Clutch
07-21-2012, 01:19 PM
How did a thread about Lin turn into this?
http://assets.denimblog.com/9/9d/9d6c69c6_thread-direction.jpeg

franchize
07-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Ok...well back to Lin. Can someone explain how Lin only gets 8 in his third year with Houston but it wouldve been 15 for us?

bluechox2
07-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Ok...well back to Lin. Can someone explain how Lin only gets 8 in his third year with Houston but it wouldve been 15 for us?
houston can restructure the deal if the knicks didnt match to make it out to 8 per year.

knickscity
07-21-2012, 03:41 PM
houston can restructure the deal if the knicks didnt match to make it out to 8 per year.
Not quite.

The deal is actually two fold.

Keep in mind it is based off Gilbert Arenas where his old team (Golden State) lost the player due to not have anything but EBR to match the offer he was given from Washington.

GS could only offer 5 due to Gilbert being an early bird, yet Washington was able to offer over 8 mil due to their cap space, and to them he is just a free agent.

So now the rule is......

The first two years of an Early bird RFA contract must be......

At the max.....the average of current NBA player contract, in this case 5 mil in the 1st year, with an increase in the second reflecting a 4.5 % increase.

After those two years, a player is full bird and can receive max pay...therefore the backload being much higher, but only from a team making the offer.

Now the trick to the backload is for Houston to have done it, they must have the cap space to accommodate the average of the entire contract, and that becomes their cap hold each year, not the actual yearly pay.

So their cap hold will be 8-8-8

franchize
07-21-2012, 04:00 PM
So the cap hold is just different? Not the amount Lin is paid?

knickscity
07-21-2012, 04:33 PM
So the cap hold is just different? Not the amount Lin is paid?
Yep.

8-8-8 for Houston

It would have been face value for NY 5-5-15

Same as the Asik offer they just gave.

franchize
07-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Yep.

8-8-8 for Houston

It would have been face value for NY 5-5-15

Same as the Asik offer they just gave.
Ive been arguing this with my boy for a week. Thanks for the clarity. Time to go boast lol

Btw, I think the deal is cool for Houston. Theyre basically rebuilding anyway. Lin could wind up a really good piece to build around. The Asik deal though is a head scratcher. I just havent seen that potential out of him. I mean 3 pts n 5 reb and he cant hit free throws. He also isnt a prolific shot blocker. Im perplexed to say the least lol.

knickscity
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Ive been arguing this with my boy for a week. Thanks for the clarity. Time to go boast lol

Btw, I think the deal is cool for Houston. Theyre basically rebuilding anyway. Lin could wind up a really good piece to build around. The Asik deal though is a head scratcher. I just havent seen that potential out of him. I mean 3 pts n 5 reb and he cant hit free throws. He also isnt a prolific shot blocker. Im perplexed to say the least lol.
no problem.

Asik is one of those big dudes that just get in the way of things in the paint, and give out a few hard fouls.

Not worth that kind of money, but I guess since Houston has to maintain that salary cap floor, someone is gonna get paid.

I can't see the bulls matching that deal.

franchize
07-21-2012, 11:39 PM
no problem.

Asik is one of those big dudes that just get in the way of things in the paint, and give out a few hard fouls.

Not worth that kind of money, but I guess since Houston has to maintain that salary cap floor, someone is gonna get paid.

I can't see the bulls matching that deal.
I dont get how he is any different than Semih Erden.

knickscity
07-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Erden does have a jumper, Asik shouldn't be on the floor on offense.

Da KO King
11-20-2012, 02:46 PM
11 games into the season is very early but NOW do you guys understand why I had such a big problem with the contract?

Clutch
11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Felton is playing better than Lin and is also making a lot less. Not to mention that he's a much better fit for this team.

It seems like not re-signing Lin worked great for the Knicks.

franchize
11-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Damn I'm just racking up "told ya so" moments lmao. Although I wish I were wrong about Tyson Chandler getting exposed :(

bluechox2
11-21-2012, 02:32 AM
tyson will be valuable when we play the dwights and bynums come playoff time...i have faith in his ability to step it up in the playoffs.

franchize
11-21-2012, 10:09 AM
tyson will be valuable when we play the dwights and bynums come playoff time...i have faith in his ability to step it up in the playoffs.

I surely hope you're right because thus far, it hasn't looked like it at all.

knickscity
11-21-2012, 01:01 PM
http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Flash_in_the_Pan.png

All that needs to be said about Lin.....