PDA

View Full Version : Practicing Handles

BlueCrayon
07-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Is it okay if I practice my handles in my backyard where it has a hard concrete floor is a little slanted? Or will all that practice not translate to a court in a gym since the floor is way different?

Ai2death
07-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Is it okay if I practice my handles in my backyard where it has a hard concrete floor is a little slanted? Or will all that practice not translate to a court in a gym since the floor is way different?

Handling a basketball anywhere helps. Even just holding it, wrapping it round your body, tapping it between your fingers, the more time the better.

Pushxx
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Don't practice on a non-flat surface. Practing handles is all about perfecting muscle memory. Your muscle memory gets messed up when you aren't dribbling on a flat surface.

BlueCrayon
07-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Don't practice on a non-flat surface. Practing handles is all about perfecting muscle memory. Your muscle memory gets messed up when you aren't dribbling on a flat surface.

So will practicing on my non flat surface do more harm than good?

LT Ice Cream
07-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Is it that hard just to find a flat surface? use the street

nixonjames
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Flat surface will help with dribbling but you could do a lot of other things that don't include dribbling on an awkward surface. We used to run a series of drills passing the ball between legs, around the head, etc never touching the ground. We'd also incorporate bounces but at the very least you could so some figure 8s between the legs n stuff. More you touch it the better far as I'm concerned.

nixonjames
01-24-2013, 12:52 AM
Is it that hard just to find a flat surface? use the street

you can always just dribble up n down the street.
pretend you've got a defender and work your way through the press,
practice crossovers, etc
easy

L3B120N J4M35
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
how do you do a spin move without carrying? i cant lol

JellyBean
01-25-2013, 10:22 PM

As long as you are dribbling the ball, it wil help. In some cases dribbling on those awkward types of surfaces have actually helped players even more, something related to forcing you to concentrate more.

ace23
01-26-2013, 12:27 AM
how do you do a spin move without carrying? i cant lol
It's practically impossible.

L3B120N J4M35
01-26-2013, 09:05 PM
It's practically impossible.

really? so how do i do one

ace23
01-27-2013, 01:07 AM
really? so how do i do one
Just carry the ball slightly as you spin.

nixonjames
02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
It's not carrying unless your hand comes under the ball so you can learn to guide the ball as you spin. Also you can use a dribble as part of the spin where you basically angle the bounce so its waist high when you're back is to the basket but it ends up at your left hand when youre back around. spin moves are hard to discuss in an internet forum o.o

Cheese as it sounds go look at animations for dribbling in like NBA 2k.

It's hard to explain online but basically

inclinerator
02-28-2013, 01:36 AM
da *** u can practice on any ground, any crack, if anything it will make you better since the ball bounces more awkwardly

stevieming
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM

hmm, not sure I agree with that Kyrie Irving says he practised his handle by sticking the ball in a plastic bag.....

scm5
03-01-2013, 01:52 PM
One of the best things I've done for my handles is buy/use a weighted training ball. You end up dribbling the ball much harder than you normally do, which in turn improves your handles significantly.

Going left was a little uncomfortable for me (I could still go left, just didn't like it) until I got my weighted training ball. Now it's like second nature to me.

Pushxx
03-01-2013, 06:56 PM
hmm, not sure I agree with that Kyrie Irving says he practised his handle by sticking the ball in a plastic bag.....

He was ****ing around man. I saw when he said that. He shouldn't because young kids will go out and do that dumb shit.

Trust me. Muscle memory is too important.

StroShow4
03-02-2013, 04:01 PM
I believe that anything you do to make the drill more challenging will only make you better.

stevieming
03-03-2013, 05:34 AM
He was ****ing around man. I saw when he said that. He shouldn't because young kids will go out and do that dumb shit.

Trust me. Muscle memory is too important.

:roll: yeah you're probably right!

L3B120N J4M35
03-06-2013, 10:51 PM
anybody know any drills you could do with a tennis ball

01amberfirewv
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
anybody know any drills you could do with a tennis ball

Dribble with left toss and catch with your right, switch hands. Toss and cross over, do the same while going behind your back then between your legs.

Toss and catch with your right hand standing at the 3 point line, after 5 tosses toss the ball halfway to the basket drive catch the ball with your toss hand and finish with the other

Lebron23
03-08-2013, 01:33 AM
I always dribble the ball when I am not doing anything.

L3B120N J4M35
03-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Dribble with left toss and catch with your right, switch hands. Toss and cross over, do the same while going behind your back then between your legs.

Toss and catch with your right hand standing at the 3 point line, after 5 tosses toss the ball halfway to the basket drive catch the ball with your toss hand and finish with the other

dribble with palm or finger tips?

01amberfirewv
03-10-2013, 08:27 PM
dribble with palm or finger tips?

Use your finger tips to control the ball. You kind of have to cup your hand but I think this is more important when your really young and first learning to dribble to keep you from smacking the ball. As you get more comfortable you kind of just fit your hand around the ball. Another great drill is one finder dribbles. Dribble low to the ground one finger at a time. Get used to moving the ball around with each finger