PDA

View Full Version : Steve Nash: "Not sure You Can Categorize Rose and Westbrook As PG's"

Clippersfan86
07-06-2012, 04:19 AM
I'm surprised this thread wasn't made considering it's such a common ISH argument. This quote is from Nash's interview on Max and Marcellus when asked who the best PG in LA is now.

blablabla
07-06-2012, 04:22 AM
not sure bout rose i think he's a pg but wb is a combo guard

dunksby
07-06-2012, 04:24 AM
So should we start categorizing them as Super Guards? Cause that's what Nash thinks we should do.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2012, 04:24 AM
not sure bout rose i think he's a pg but wb is a combo guard

I agree Rose actually has a case as a PG, Westbrook doesn't. Rose's passing game looked much improved this year and he seemed to be thinking more like a PG. His team finally had to tell him to start shooting more again :oldlol: .

Clippersfan86
07-06-2012, 04:25 AM
So should we start categorizing them as Super Guards? Cause that's what Nash thinks we should do.

Sure. To me super guard in this context seems like a combo guard reference though.

dunksby
07-06-2012, 04:26 AM
Sure. To me super guard in this context seems like a combo guard reference though.
lol keep cherry picking, cause to me it seems like he is saying those two play on another level to be categorized as mere PGs.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2012, 04:28 AM
lol keep cherry picking, cause to me it seems like he is saying those two play on another level to be categorized as mere PGs.

Which would be what? If he singles out Rose and Westbrook to call CP3+Deron the best "Point Guards" what are you guessing he's implying? He's calling Rose+Westbrook combo guards in a very complimentary way because for whatever reason combo guard has a bad meaning to some (exactly why you don't like me calling Westbrook a combo guard). I don't think combo guard is an insult. Admitting WB+DR are combo guards doesn't mean they can't be top 5 players or elite at their position...

dunksby
07-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Which would be what? If he singles out Rose and Westbrook to call CP3+Deron the best "Point Guards" what are you guessing he's implying? He's calling Rose+Westbrook combo guards in a very complimentary way because for whatever reason combo guard has a bad meaning to some (exactly why you don't like me calling Westbrook a combo guard).
No, Nash definitely sees that Rose and Westbrook are the best two at their post and they do much more than what an ordinary PG would do so they stay a class higher than the rest who play at the PG position.

Clippersfan86
07-06-2012, 04:32 AM
No, Nash definitely sees that Rose and Westbrook are the best two at their post and because they do much more than what an ordinary PG would do so they stay a class higher than the rest who play at the PG position.

We can agree to disagree but these comments are interesting coming from Nash nonetheless. Like I said.. ties in to one of the most common ISH arguments.

dunksby
07-06-2012, 04:33 AM
We can agree to disagree but these comments are interesting coming from Nash nonetheless. Like I said.. ties in to one of the most common ISH arguments.
Yea it proves that Rose and Westbrook are only comparable to themselves, the rest come far behind.

GreatHILL
07-06-2012, 04:35 AM

this is insane, damn go get some *****, there is life outside the internet

Vienceslav
07-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Well the game evolves constantly and what was once percieved as point guard is now a dying breed of players Nash/Kidd/Stockton , though some guys still hold the flag for these guys high Rondo/CP3 , teams are slowly drafting these athletic guys who are MJ/Kobe in 6

SacJB Shady
07-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Is Tony Parker a super guard or a point guard?

Clippersfan86
07-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Yea it proves that Rose and Westbrook are only comparable to themselves, the rest come far behind.

Chris Paul: 1st team all NBA, 1st team all NBA defense, Team USA starter, starter of all star game. Is this the path you want to go down? Westbrook isn't there yet.

livingby3's
07-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Which would be what? If he singles out Rose and Westbrook to call CP3+Deron the best "Point Guards" what are you guessing he's implying? He's calling Rose+Westbrook combo guards in a very complimentary way because for whatever reason combo guard has a bad meaning to some (exactly why you don't like me calling Westbrook a combo guard). I don't think combo guard is an insult. Admitting WB+DR are combo guards doesn't mean they can't be top 5 players or elite at their position...

QFT.

TheeBeast
07-06-2012, 04:42 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PistolPete44
07-06-2012, 04:46 AM

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wavy Crockett
07-06-2012, 04:47 AM

:eek:

:lebronamazed:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Clutch
07-06-2012, 06:01 AM

:biggums:

PickernRoller
07-06-2012, 06:06 AM
Russel is a combo guard period. Rose is a PG exploiting his athleticism to score. With that he becomes an offensive threat and thus allows him to create better shots for his team mates whom are unable to create their own shots on a consistent basis. Were Rose be with another All-star like say a Kobe or Dirk you would see him passing the ball more like Rondo does to his big 3. As his athleticism fades he'll rely more on passing and less shooting. It all depends on who he's surrounded with. Like I said, he's gifted athletically and taking full advantage of it to be as successful as he's. Can you imagine a different Rose with this team, lets say a Nash type of Rose with this Bull's team? Changes completely the dynamics of the team and probably the level of success they might attain.

You could even say Phoenix success could have benefited from some selfish and scoring mentality of Nash when the team lacked guys that could "crack the whip" in decisive moments.

rawimpact
07-06-2012, 06:14 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

why are you laughing? you're half as bad...

kNIOKAS
07-06-2012, 06:32 AM
Is Tony Parker a super guard or a point guard?
IMo good point. Knowing he held the points in the paint category for some years, it's clear he's not a pure point guard. Knowing that he is an awesome guard playing in San Antonio that nobody cares about, he might just be a super guard.

Punpun
07-06-2012, 07:09 AM
:biggums:

DUDE YOU POST JUST AS MUCH AS HIM

:yaohappy:

Yung D-Will
07-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Westbrook isn't a better player than Rondo.

Jameerthefear
07-06-2012, 07:28 AM

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/619776_o.gif

MaxFly
07-06-2012, 07:52 AM

Let's do some quick math, here... Jan 2011... let's say the very end of Jan just to give him the benefit of the doubt. As of today, we're talking about a little more than 520 days, which is an average of 40.6 posts a day. :eek:

:(

PyrrhusX
07-06-2012, 08:13 AM
The point guard position is evolving with Rose and WB leading the change. Is it better or worse? Well that answer will vary from individual to individual.

DCL
07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
there's a weird prejudice for being labeled a "combo guard" because it usually means you're just short guy playing at the 2 but ain't really got true 1 skills. think steve francis.

for these "combo guards", if they're more likely to drop 30 or even 40 points than to dish out 15 times, they think you're a ball hog, which isn't really what a point is supposed to do.

dannywpt
07-06-2012, 10:14 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6kn9egp7J1qchn3t.gif

CelticBaller
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
SG stands for super guard? :banana:

Blue&Orange
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
:lol

No, seriously

Poetry
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
The point guard position is evolving with Rose and WB leading the change. Is it better or worse? Well that answer will vary from individual to individual.

I don't know that it's evolving, we're just seeing athletic-combo guards make an impact that can't be ignored. So teams are forced to adjust to their players, instead of inhibiting their player's strengths.

Chris Paul is still seen as the quintessential point guard in the league for a reason.

chosen_one6
07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Let's do some quick math, here... Jan 2011... let's say the very end of Jan just to give him the benefit of the doubt. As of today, we're talking about a little more than 520 days, which is an average of 40.6 posts a day. :eek:

:(

I like how the thread turned from combo guard discussion to clowning on a dude for his post count

:roll:

Clippersfan86
07-06-2012, 12:39 PM

I like how the thread turned from combo guard discussion to clowning on a dude for his post count

:roll:

The funny thing is they think it will bother me. I post a ton and know I post a ton... so obviously I'm not going to be embarrassed about it. I like posting here and like a lot of people here :confusedshrug: . I can easily make 3 alternate accounts like all these low post count trolls and hide but why should I? Lots to talk about here on ISH.

chosen_one6
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
The funny thing is they think it will bother me. I post a ton and know I post a ton... so obviously I'm not going to be embarrassed about it. I like posting here and like a lot of people here :confusedshrug: . I can easily make 3 alternate accounts like all these low post count trolls and hide but why should I? Lots to talk about here on ISH.

:cheers:

guy
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I heard the interview and it seemed like he referring more to how crazy athletic and strong they are. Didn't sound like he was emphasizing there shoot-first mentality at all.

LONGTIME
07-06-2012, 01:25 PM

http://clutch.mtv.com//wp-content/uploads/clutch/2012/04/jack_nicholson_approve_gif.gif

Doranku
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM

Meh, who cares? The dude likes to talk ball just like everyone else on this forum does. What's wrong with that?

pauk
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
They are combo-guards.. or more accurately speaking true Shooting-Guards starting PG due to matchups considering their size....

Kiddlovesnets
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Well Nash has a point. Id say Rose is a PG, Westbrook is not.

Mr. I'm So Rad
07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Jesus Christ some of you guys are stupid. Rose and Westbrook are just PGs who need to score a lot. I mean you guys act like Kevin Durant should be shooting 30+ times a game. Who else is going to score for the Bulls? In fact, Rose shooting more actually helps them because when he misses, he draws so much attention that it opens up the offensive glass for his team (which also happens to be the best rebounding team in the league, specifically on the offensive boards).

When has Rose ever been a SG? Just because he is a gifted scorer doesn't mean he isn't a PG.

Is Dwight Howard not a Center because he doesn't play with his back to the basket all the time? Was David Robinson not a real Center because he had a face-up game?

TeamLAC
07-06-2012, 03:02 PM

You just called someone a nerd over an internet forum, bro. It's easy to talk tough from behind a computer screen. But don't worry I'm sure you pull in chicks like no other in real life, right? :confusedshrug:

D12"Magic"
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Nothing better than people talking sh*t behind a Web-Site

liquidrage
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Westbrook and Rose are definitely combo guards right now.

Rose wasn't picked #1 overall to go 4/9 with 9 assists. He needs to score. The Bulls are better when he scores.

Westbrook started off his career much closer to a true PG. That's when Jeff Green started along side Durant and Kristic started at center and Westbrook avg'd 8 assists for 3 years.

Minus Jeff Green Westbrook moved more towards combo guard and no one should apologize for that, he's great at it, the Thunder to me are the best offensive team in the NBA, and a bunch of 23 year old kids just made it to the NBA finals and have improved each year of the last 4.

Rose and Westbrook do what their teams need them to, and do it really ****ing well at that. All-NBA well.