PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Wilt, Welcome Manigault.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Seeing how Jlauber is all about that Wilt guy, I want to talk about the true GOAT of that era.

Namely, Earl Manigault. Nicknamed "THE GOAT".

While, Jlauber claims that Wilt was able to touch the top of the backboard, a 6"1 Earl, or a whole ' smaller than Wilt (7"1), was able to routinely touch the top of the backboard to

Earl was reportedly able to touch the top of the backboard to retrieve quarters and dollar bills, part of "elaborate innovations and tricks" elite street players of the era performed before games to help build their reputations
Impressive ? We aren't even close to being finished.

According to Beckham Barry, He was able to do such dunks like the DOUBLE DUNK.

Detailed as such,

He would dunk the ball, catch it with his left hand, switch the ball to his right hand, bring it back around to the top of the basket and jam it through again, all done while still in the air on a single jump, and without hanging on the rim
He also was a deadly shooter because he didn't want to be labeled as a one-trick pony. And it showed as you will see below.

Needless to say the GOAT was one of a kind talent. So it's no wonders that KAREEM ABDHUL JABBAR said Earl was without the doubt the greatest player ever he played against. This includes Wilt.

So, it's no wonders when Earl claimed that ""For every Michael Jordan , there's an Earl Manigault. We all can't make it. Somebody has to fall. I was the one." we couldn't help but believe him. As it is the truth.

So, to recap, the BEST PLAYER in the old era wasn't WILT like Jlauber wants us to believe but a 6"1 streetballer named Earl.

Here a picture of an old EARL "The GOAT" MANIGAULT.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/0/06/Earlthegoatmanigault2.jpg

:bowdown:

LosBulls
07-08-2012, 02:49 PM
How many mountain lions did he kill?

BigByrd
07-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Anecdotes aren't evidence of greatness and we all know how rumours of greatness morph into more and more impressive feats over time.

Also I'd like to see this guys mountain lion stats.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm still searching about it. But seeing he reportedly had a 52-inch vertical leap, I'm pretty sure he killed more lions than Wilt.

Earl overcame a freaking heroin addiction. He even went to jail for it.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
How many heroin addiction, one of the worse addiction out there, did Wilt overcame ? Thought so.

Halcon
07-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Thats nothing... Jordan ran a 2.3 40 yard dash and had a 68 inch vertical.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 03:53 PM
That's why Jordan is Earl's yang. Jordan is the light, while Earl is the darkness.

But that doesn't mean Earl isn't the best player from the 50 and 60.

Haymaker
07-08-2012, 04:04 PM
No footage, he sucked.

Raz
07-08-2012, 04:13 PM
That's nothing! You wouldn't know it, but Larry Bird had a 65 inch vertical before he injured his knee.

Halcon
07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
How many of yall own this...

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6024/defaultizb.jpg

Punpun
07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
That's nothing! You wouldn't know it, but Larry Bird had a 65 inch vertical before he injured his knee.

And yet, Larry Bird wasn't mentioned by KAJ as the best player he played with or against.

A difference of class.

Psileas
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Needless to say the GOAT was one of a kind talent. So it's no wonders that KAREEM ABDHUL JABBAR said Earl was without the doubt the greatest player ever he played against. This includes Wilt.

This also includes prime Bird, any of the 80's, early prime, versions of Jordan (maybe not his absolute best, but not that far from his best, either) and would probably include prime Magic as well if he was Kareem's opponent.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 04:18 PM
This also includes prime Bird, any of the 80's, early prime, versions of Jordan (maybe not his absolute best, but not that far from his best, either) and would probably include prime Magic as well if he was Kareem's opponent.

The question is "Played with or against". So yeah, it includes Magic.

Knicksfever2010
07-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Seeing how Jlauber is all about that Wilt guy, I want to talk about the true GOAT of that era.

Namely, Earl Manigault. Nicknamed "THE GOAT".

While, Jlauber claims that Wilt was able to touch the top of the backboard, a 6"1 Earl, or a whole ' smaller than Wilt (7"1), was able to routinely touch the top of the backboard to

Impressive ? We aren't even close to being finished.

According to Beckham Barry, He was able to do such dunks like the DOUBLE DUNK.

Detailed as such,

He also was a deadly shooter because he didn't want to be labeled as a one-trick pony. And it showed as you will see below.

So, it's no wonders when Earl claimed that ""For every Michael Jordan , there's an Earl Manigault. We all can't make it. Somebody has to fall. I was the one." we couldn't help but believe him. As it is the truth.

So, to recap, the BEST PLAYER in the old era wasn't WILT like Jlauber wants us to believe but a 6"1 streetballer named Earl.

Here a picture of an old EARL "The GOAT" MANIGAULT.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/0/06/Earlthegoatmanigault2.jpg

they've done studies to prove its physically IMPOSSIBLE to touch the top of the backboard.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Turns out they were wrong.

step_back
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I have the film about him on DVD starring Don Cheadle. No doubt he was a ball player and it's a shame drugs destroyed what would have been a career in the league but much of the stories surrounding him are BS.

Dwight put a sticker on a backboard 12.6ft up and the top of a backboard has to be at least 13ft. No way a 6'1 guy was grabbing dollar bills of the top of a regulation hoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCNK6VaBXeY

Halcon
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM
they've done studies to prove its physically IMPOSSIBLE to touch the top of the backboard.
Im pretty sure this guy could do it without even jumping.

http://leforsdesign.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/robert-wadlow.jpg

Pointguard
07-08-2012, 04:24 PM
KG played Wilt as part of the classic Wilt/Manigault show down in the the great game that included Connie Hawkins, Earl Monroe, Wilt, Manigault and others. The scene is the great trash talking incident between...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvxTokEpqA

DuMa
07-08-2012, 04:25 PM

KG plays Wilt in that movie. memories :cheers:

chips93
07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
How many heroin addiction, one of the worse addiction out there, did Wilt overcame ? Thought so.

:wtf:

how does this speak to his ability to play basketball?

Punpun
07-08-2012, 04:28 PM
:wtf:

how does this speak to his ability to play basketball?

It's speak about Earl's ability to overcome adversarity. Be it on or off the court. And Wilt wrestling lion has nothing to do with Bball either.

Raz
07-08-2012, 04:30 PM
And yet, Larry Bird wasn't mentioned by KAJ as the best player he played with or against.

A difference of class.

Bill Walton had a vertical in the high 60's before his injuries. Face it, Earl was more goat than GOAT

Punpun
07-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Bill Walton smoke too much weed to be able to jump. Hence why he passed the ball so much. Didn't want to embarass himself.

QuebecBaller
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
KG played Wilt as part of the classic Wilt/Manigault show down in the the great game that included Connie Hawkins, Earl Monroe, Wilt, Manigault and others. The scene is the great trash talking incident between...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvxTokEpqA

Joe Smith was Connie Hawkins

DonDadda59
07-08-2012, 04:47 PM
How many mountain lions did he kill?

Exactly 0.0 mountain lions. Just wrestled some alligators or some bullshit like that. Guy wasn't sh*t :rolleyes:

Sarcastic
07-08-2012, 04:59 PM
I bet this guy could touch the top of the backboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IclEQA48IOE

jlauber
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Not sure what the OP is, but it is clearly directed at me.

We have VIDEO FOOTAGE of a Chamberlain block, in which Wilt, with no time to react, going straight up (without benefit of a running start), and using his off-hand, comes with a couple of inches of reaching the top of the backboard.

Keep in mind that recently on Sport Science, Dwight Howard, on his second attempt, and with a full running start, reaches 12' 6".

So, it would easily appear to me that a 7-1+ Wilt, with a 7-8 wingspan, and with a high-jump championship (achieved part-time and with poor technique), had the highest known leaping ability of any legitimate NBA player.

Now, I could not care less what Manigault accomplished. Open up the NBA RECORD BOOK and get back to me.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Oh my, this thread was addressed to you ? DId you deduct that from me writing your name twice directly calling you out ? Damn, you are a freaking genius.

Yeah, you could not care less about this guy. Even though, Many of your claims about Wilt are as substantiated as Earl, who was seen as better than Wilt by a player who played both. Unlike you, who never saw any of them play.

Everything points out to Earl > Wilt.

jlauber
07-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Oh my, this thread was addressed to you ? DId you deduct that from me writing your name twice directly calling you out ? Damn, you are a freaking genius.

Yeah, you could not care less about this guy. Even though, Many of your claims about Wilt are as substantiated as Earl, who was seen as better than Wilt by a player who played both. Unlike you, who never saw any of them play.

Everything points out to Earl > Wilt.

Good for you. Tell me once again how many NBA records Manigault has? BTW, Kareem played IN the Chamberlain era, and never approached the vast majority of Chamberlain's records. And later, he played IN the Jordan era, too. And yet somehow his claim that Manigault was the GOAT has some significance?

Punpun
07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Yep. Because KAJ didn't play against GOAT MJ anyways. So you taking that as a knock on KAJ claim because he felt that Manigault was better when KAJ played against a lesser MJ who had yet to iwn a championship is just straight up inane crap.

jlauber
07-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Yep. Because KAJ didn't play against GOAT MJ anyways.

He didn't play against GOAT Chamberlain either. The Wilt he faced was between 34-36 years old, and playing on a surgically repaired knee.

Vienceslav
07-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I think posting the Wilt Chamberlain accomplishments is a must in the stage of the thread.

jlauber
07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
I think posting the Wilt Chamberlain accomplishments is a must in the stage of the thread.

Be my guest...

I must warn you, though, due to the size restrictions, it will take THREE full posts.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
And still, KAJ grew up watching him and played against him. KAJ is thus way more qualified than you to speak and compare those two players. And he certainly felt that Earl was better than Wilt.

Those are just pure and unaltered facts.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 05:37 PM
I must warn you, though, due to the size restrictions, it will take THREE full posts.

And it will still means nothing when KAJ felt Earl was the better player. Dat GOAT.

By the way, the GOAT was so good, he had the park he played in renamed after him. What does Wilt have again ?

jlauber
07-08-2012, 05:38 PM
And still, KAJ grew up watching him and played against him. KAJ is thus way more qualified than you to speak and compare those two players. And he certainly felt that Earl was better than Wilt.

Those are just pure and unaltered facts.

Well, it sounds like you believe it, and maybe Kareem does as well. Good luck convincing the rest of the world, though.

lilgodfather1
07-08-2012, 05:38 PM
It's too bad such a talent was taken away from us, but in the end the GOAT isn't even close to being the GOAT because he never played in the NBA. If you can't do it in the NBA then you shouldn't even be eligible for the basketball HOF imo, unless you did something extraordinary for the game of basketball. Earl doesn't fit that description, and I loved that movie btw.

jlauber
07-08-2012, 05:39 PM
And it will still means nothing when KAJ felt Earl was the better player. Dat GOAT.

By the way, the GOAT was so good, he had the park he played in renamed after him. What does Wilt have again ?

Some 100+ NBA RECORDS that STILL stand today.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Earl used basketball to fight drugs and saved countless childrens lives until the day he died. That's a lot for the game of Basketball. The only player who used Basketball to directly save more lives was MAGIC JOHNSON.

@Jlauber, Well, the world already believe that. That is, anyone who knows anything about Bball does.

Record that clearly means nothing for such an highly pertinent witness such as KAJ.

jlauber
07-08-2012, 05:41 PM
It's too bad such a talent was taken away from us, but in the end the GOAT isn't even close to being the GOAT because he never played in the NBA. If you can't do it in the NBA then you shouldn't even be eligible for the basketball HOF imo, unless you did something extraordinary for the game of basketball. Earl doesn't fit that description, and I loved that movie btw.

There were those that felt Raymond Lewis would have been the GOAT, too.

http://www.raymondlewis.com/

Punpun
07-08-2012, 05:44 PM
He was 6"1 too. Just like Earl. But he was in a different era than Earl anyways.

lilgodfather1
07-08-2012, 05:49 PM
There were those that felt Raymond Lewis would have been the GOAT, too.

http://www.raymondlewis.com/
That's too bad. Immaturity led to his demise :facepalm. Oh well another player in the long list of players that had amazing potential, but never lived up to it. I personally think that is what makes the best NBA players so great.

fpliii
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
OT: is the movie any good?

Vienceslav
07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Be my guest...

I was counting on you , i would leave something important out.

L.Kizzle
07-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Read the book "City Game" or "Foul" by Connie Hawkins and there is another book by Jackie Jackson which title I can't remember.

Jackie was a few years older than Earl ad he also went up against Wilt. Jackie is know to block 2 Wilt Dunks in a row and is about the same size as Earl. Jackie was drafted in 63 but never played in the NBA, but became a Harlem Globetrotter.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 05:59 PM
OT: is the movie any good?

Great movie. Uplifting story about the player they nicknamed "the GOAT". Imagine a guy with Ray Allen Shooting ability AND Vince Carter athleticism. But better. Way better.

That's who Earl was.

UltraThunderMan
07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
For my first post on this board i shall simply propose a question. Why is the user known as jlauber such a cawk rider? I mean i understand that guys like their players, but every time i've come on here, i've seen this grown man making worthless thread after thread after thread about some guy he's never met and prb never seen play. God it's disgusting. Does your gay love for chamberlain know no bounds? Do us all a favor and just shut the funk up about it already. LOL, 'we have video footage that it was chamberlain, not jesus, who walked on water at the red sea.' Or how about this timeless classic: 'Once at halftime during an allstar game, Wilt had sex with a mountain lion.' No one gives a *** you fanboy. Now watch this douchebag reply to my post with nothing but chamberlain stats.

DatAsh
07-08-2012, 06:23 PM
So, it would easily appear to me that a 7-1+ Wilt, with a 7-8 wingspan, and with a high-jump championship (achieved part-time and with poor technique), had the highest known leaping ability of any legitimate NBA player.

He didn't even have the highest vertical leap of the bigmen in his era.

DatAsh
07-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Some 100+ NBA RECORDS that STILL stand today.

100+ nba records?:roll: :roll: :roll:

jlauber
07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
He didn't even have the highest vertical leap of the bigmen in his era.

No, but he had the highest reach.

jlauber
07-08-2012, 06:30 PM
100+ nba records?:roll: :roll: :roll:

I could actually list close to several hundred...

1. Most points in a game.
2. Most points in two straight games.
3. Most points in three three straight games.
4. Most points in four straight games.
5. Most points in five straight games (351 BTW.)

100. Most points in 100 straight games.
150. Most points in 150 straight games.

ad nausem...

but here are SOME of his STILL standing records...and this is not all BTW...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Career_achievements_of_Wilt_Chamberlain

jlauber
07-08-2012, 06:33 PM
For my first post on this board i shall simply propose a question. Why is the user known as jlauber such a cawk rider? I mean i understand that guys like their players, but every time i've come on here, i've seen this grown man making worthless thread after thread after thread about some guy he's never met and prb never seen play. God it's disgusting. Does your gay love for chamberlain know no bounds? Do us all a favor and just shut the funk up about it already. LOL, 'we have video footage that it was chamberlain, not jesus, who walked on water at the red sea.' Or how about this timeless classic: 'Once at halftime during an allstar game, Wilt had sex with a mountain lion.' No one gives a *** you fanboy. Now watch this douchebag reply to my post with nothing but chamberlain stats.

Do yourself a favor, my friend, and don't bother reading my posts. As it is, you are probably going to therapy because of them.

UltraThunderMan
07-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Do yourself a favor, my friend, and don't bother reading my posts. As it is, you are probably going to therapy because of them.

LOL, it's impressive that you can type so many of them with wilt's spiritual ***** in your mouth. LMFAO.

Glide2keva
07-08-2012, 06:36 PM

Saw that movie

Real Men Wear Green
07-08-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't see how OP can be making "GOAT" arguments for a player when he never saw a highlight clip of any kind or any kind of stats. If you didn't make the NBA you can't be the greatest of all time. It'd be like saying Len Bias was better than MJ. In fact it's worse, at least we saw Bias in college.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm not making any GOAT argument. It was just his nickname. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Or to be more precise, his nickname was "The GOAT".

jlauber
07-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm not making any GOAT argument. It was just his nickname. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Or to be more precise, his nickname was "The GOAT".

Let's have the "precise" reason why you started this topic, then.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 07:03 PM
It's clearly written in my OP. Earl is the best player from that era. Era which includes Wilt.

See ?

jlauber
07-08-2012, 07:17 PM
It's clearly written in my OP. Earl is the best player from that era. Era which includes Wilt.

See ?

I thought most of the "Chamberlain-bashers" had high-tailed it for the hills with all of the new found stats, facts, and even newly released VIDEO footage (including an interview with none other than TEX WINTER), but just as those longtime trolls were embarrassed and departed, we now have new-found cannon-fodder in the discussions of Wilt's legacy...

Punpun
07-08-2012, 07:22 PM
>Tex Winter

Who cares about an oldman unable to do anything before the GOAT coach found him ?

Anyways, I just kicked your ass square and fair with that thread. You can always goes on as if this thread never existed. Won't mean there isn't proof Wilt wasn't even the best player from his era.

Real Men Wear Green
07-08-2012, 07:35 PM
>Tex Winter

Who cares about an oldman unable to do anything before the GOAT coach found him ?

Anyways, I just kicked your ass square and fair with that thread. You can always goes on as if this thread never existed. Won't mean there isn't proof Wilt wasn't even the best player from his era.
The irony being that when it comes to Manigault there's no proof beyond anecdotes. Question: Do you think that Ronnie Fields is better than Kobe Bryant?

jlauber
07-08-2012, 07:37 PM
>Tex Winter

I can live with those that claim that Russell was better (at least in terms of team accomplishments), BUT Manigault?

Man, I am really going to lose over this one tonight...

Punpun
07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
The irony being that when it comes to Manigault there's no proof beyond anecdotes. Question: Do you think that Ronnie Fields is better than Kobe Bryant?

Let's focus on Manigault and Wilt shall we ? Afterall it's the subject of this thread. If ya want me to go deeper on Fields, make a thread about him. And make a nice OP. Cause I took half an hour to make mine.

Real Men Wear Green
07-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Let's focus on Manigault and Wilt shall we ? Afterall it's the subject of this thread.
It's about possibly inconsistent logic. If you put Manigault on par with Wilt based on nothing but hearsay then why can't someone put Fields up there with Bryant, AI, etc?

Punpun
07-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Do so if you want. Explain the reason and all. But in a different thread.

Real Men Wear Green
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Do so if you want. Explain the reason and all. But in a different thread.
I see we didn't understand...

Punpun
07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
There is more than just hearsay by the way. And KAJ words on Earl are weigh much more than Jlauber rant on how some guy said Wilt was strongest guy alive etc. Not the same pertinence and strength in our proofs.

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Bill Walton smoke too much weed to be able to jump. Hence why he passed the ball so much. Didn't want to embarass himself.

Probably more to do with being a hippie than a pot smoker.

Colbertnation64
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Calm down punpun, damn.

Yeah that jlauber is annoying sometimes but he backs his arguments up with actual facts and VIDEO most of the time.

I understand that you're not serious about earl, but it's hilarious how mad you guys get at a guy that backs up his arguments with facts and video.

Not surprising from a euro that probably knows nothing about the NBA or it's history though, lol

DatAsh
07-08-2012, 09:37 PM
No, but he had the highest reach.

I would agree with that.

Punpun
07-08-2012, 09:38 PM
He actually doesn't back up any of his substantial claims. And dude, I won't let you insult me. Retract your ****ing insult.

Colbertnation64
07-08-2012, 11:07 PM
He actually doesn't back up any of his substantial claims. And dude, I won't let you insult me. Retract your ****ing insult.
lmao "RETRACT YOUR INSULT IN MY THREAD TO INSULT OTHERS"

You're an idiot.

Punpun
07-09-2012, 01:47 AM
And you are a rude man while I didn't disrespect anyone. Troll. Someone needs to grow up here.

TheeBeast
07-09-2012, 02:36 AM
http://showmehow2play.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/the-goat.jpg

Too bad there aint no footage of him

DTreats
07-09-2012, 02:39 AM
To the dude who compared Ronnie Fields to Kobe Bryant? Are you freaking serious?:lol

Fields is as overrated as they come, weak ball handling skills, not the best shooter, known as a great defender and little else.

Get real.

Colbertnation64
07-09-2012, 02:39 AM
And you are a rude man while I didn't disrespect anyone. Troll. Someone needs to grow up here.
Yeah, the guy who starts whole threads to try to gang up on another poster should grow up. Get a life, or stop being a dumbass.

Punpun
07-09-2012, 02:43 AM
>Gang up

All by myself. Sure. Dude, you were over the line by insulting where I came from. Be a good sport and present your excuses. Now stop shitposting this wonderful thread.

Psileas
07-09-2012, 11:05 AM
He didn't play against GOAT Chamberlain either. The Wilt he faced was between 34-36 years old, and playing on a surgically repaired knee.

The Jordan Kareem "faced" (actually, he never faced Jordan or Manigault, since neither was a center) was closer to his performance peak than the Wilt Kareem faced.
Bottom line, if we are to put any stock on Kareem's quote, all he says is that the best player he faced in his own (Kareem's) era (70's+80's) was Manigault. 70's+80's was hardly Wilt's era. That was old Wilt's-old West's-Kareem's-Erving's-Bird's-Magic's-young Jordan's era.

Real Men Wear Green
07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
To the dude who compared Ronnie Fields to Kobe Bryant? Are you freaking serious?:lol

Fields is as overrated as they come, weak ball handling skills, not the best shooter, known as a great defender and little else.

Get real.
Is it really that hard to comprehend what I wrote?