PDA

View Full Version : Hornets acquiring Ryan Anderson via sign and trade

talkingconch
07-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
I'm told New Orleans Hornets will acquire Ryan Anderson via sign-and-trade deal with Orlando. Deal is on verge of completion today

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/222042564440756224

Fudge
07-08-2012, 03:02 PM
So... Will this put Anthony Davis at Center? :confusedshrug:

talkingconch
07-08-2012, 03:04 PM
@ESPNSteinline:
Final trade terms being worked out but Hornets & Magic progressing toward agreement that'll put Anderson in same front court w/ Anthony Davis

Just2McFly
07-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Dwight has to be getting moved if this is real.....

NO is putting together a good squad though, Gordon should think about staying.

mmsupra
07-08-2012, 03:05 PM
What are the magic doing?

NOHCP3
07-08-2012, 03:05 PM
I like it but it's tempered till I see how much for. Hornets currently plan to play cardboard cut out of Early Alonzo at Center

talkingconch
07-08-2012, 03:06 PM
So this puts the Anderson/Howard package out of the way. Whats happenin with dwight

KG215
07-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Anderson and Davis are completely different players but I can't really see AD playing center this early in his career. He's not strong enough to defend NBA centers one-on-one in the post.

Fiasco
07-08-2012, 03:07 PM
So this puts the Anderson/Howard package out of the way. Whats happenin with dwight

Clippers :bowdown:

for the record I just need an excuse to use that emoticon

Dasher
07-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Dwight has to be getting moved if this is real.....

NO is putting together a good squad though, Gordon should think about staying.
When NO matches, Gordon won't have a choice but to stay.

It's A VC3!!!
07-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Jameer Nelson is probably slitting his wrist. They dump Ryan , who is a better player and a more valuable rebuilding player yet they keep a 30 year old wannabe pg. SMH.

mmsupra
07-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Another 5 years of heart and hustle for the magic coming up:biggums:

D12"Magic"
07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Lopez and Andersen would not be a good fit next to each other anyways :D

OmniStrife
07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
What about Eric Gordon??!

BGriffin's Dad
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
making room for Pau Gasol

Bano114
07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Ryan Anderson can play SF and Davis can play PF. AD doesn't have to move over the C because of this :confusedshrug:

It's A VC3!!!
07-08-2012, 03:19 PM
making room for Pau Gasol
This was going to be my next post except you beat me to it. This is a threat to Net fans.

HylianNightmare
07-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Wonder what the magic get in return

Rekindled
07-08-2012, 03:22 PM
This was going to be my next post except you beat me to it. This is a threat to Net fans.

what threat? lakers isnt even sure if they wanna do bynum for dwight without knowing if dwight is fine with his back.

why the hell would they throw in gasol

Meticode
07-08-2012, 03:22 PM
So... Will this put Anthony Davis at Center? :confusedshrug:
I thought he was going to be their center anyway?

talkingconch
07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
what threat? lakers isnt even sure if they wanna do bynum for dwight without knowing if dwight is fine with his back.

lmao this. Why would lakers practically gut the team for Dwight?

Nash-Kobe-Gasol-Dwight > Nash-Kobe-Dwight

niko
Lopez and Andersen would not be a good fit next to each other anyways :D
Their nickname could be Charmin. Soft and white.

ncrizzle
Jameer Nelson is probably slitting his wrist. They dump Ryan , who is a better player and a more valuable rebuilding player yet they keep a 30 year old wannabe pg. SMH.

That scrub just got resigned. Its not like Orlando was gonna be good anytime soon. Im sure hes not on suicide watch

All Net
07-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Not sure why this means dwight trade is coming...

talkingconch
07-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Well at least Orlando MADE a move right? Isn't this their first trade?

Jimmy Smith ‏@JimmySmithtp

League source says #Hornets acquiring SF Ryan Anderson from #Magic in sign and trade for Gustavo Ayon.

NOHCP3
07-08-2012, 03:25 PM
I thought he was going to be their center anyway?

Their was talk of Jason Smith being the starting center. :lol But like a poster said earlier maybe RA can play the 3. AD could be in for a rough rookie year if he starts at the 5

It's A VC3!!!
07-08-2012, 03:26 PM

I'm so sure the trade holdup is because of Dwight's back which rob has stated is perfectly fine.

BGriffin's Dad
07-08-2012, 03:27 PM

not both, Gasol for Dwight.. maybe Hill/McRob plus the picks too

then keep Bynum on a bench rotation or (more likely) trade him for a better starting SF, PF + bench pieces

GOBB
I swore I posted in here. Maybe it didnt go through. But Ryan Anderson shouldnt get more than Ersan Illyasova and even thats too much. Any idea what kind of deal NOH is giving? I also wonder what affect this might have on the Eric Gordon situation. Perhaps none but I didnt expect this move for a player lookin to get paid. Glad Ryan is gone from the East, he killed the Sixers.

no0
it's for gustavo ayon.

anyone have any info on this guy? why is it good for the magic?

dzav323
07-08-2012, 03:29 PM
I know Anderson is a stretch 4 primarily, but can he play the 3 at all? If so that would fill one of NOLA's needs, but I just can't see it

knickballer
07-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Good deal for the Hornets. Once Davis matures a bit and adds some bulk it will be a similar partnership with the Anderson/Howard one in Orlando

GOBB
07-08-2012, 03:30 PM
it's for gustavo ayon.

anyone have any info on this guy? why is it good for the magic?

To avoid paying Ryan Anderson big bucks. Get ready for a rebuild if you're a Magic fan.

Meticode
07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
I know Anderson is a stretch 4 primarily, but can he play the 3 at all? If so that would fill one of NOLA's needs, but I just can't see it
He can play the tree, but so can Diop. In saying, ti doesn't mean they're good at it. Anderson can barely play the f*cking 4 at least defensively.

GOBB
07-08-2012, 03:32 PM

You wouldnt want him playing SF.

talkingconch
not both, Gasol for Dwight.. maybe Hill/McRob plus the picks too

then keep Bynum on a bench rotation or (more likely) trade him for a better starting SF, PF + bench pieces
lol

I'd shit my pants if this happened. Then why would the Lakers have Bynum and Dwight on the same team? Bynum would be traded for great depth

KG215
Ryan Anderson can play SF and Davis can play PF. AD doesn't have to move over the C because of this :confusedshrug:

Yeah, let Anderson defend NBA threes for 15-20 minutes a game. See how that goes.

First NOH drafts a worse version of Eric Gordon with the #10 pick, and expect him to be one of their better players, and now they trade for someone that plays the exact same position (and is one of their three or four best players) as the #1 overall "can't miss" pick. So, to sum up, four of the Hornets five best players play the same two positions.

steve
07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
To avoid paying Ryan Anderson big bucks. Get ready for a rebuild if you're a Magic fan.

Which means they really should take the Rockets deal for Dwight. They could get a bunch of good young assets and not necessarily kill their position to get a good draft pick in '13.

GOBB
07-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Which means they really should take the Rockets deal for Dwight. They could get a bunch of good young assets and not necessarily kill their position to get a good draft pick in '13.

Agreed.

NOHCP3
07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah, let Anderson defend NBA threes for 15-20 minutes a game. See how that goes.

First NOH drafts a worse version of Eric Gordon with the #10 pick, and expect him to be one of their better players, and now they trade for someone that plays the exact same position (and is one of their three or four best players) as the #1 overall "can't miss" pick. So, to sum up, four of the Hornets five best players play the same two positions.

Curious to see who you think they should have drafted @ 10? Leonard, Zeller? I liked the Rivers pick for the bench and for a franchise that needs big names to sell tickets.

niko
07-08-2012, 03:41 PM
He got illyasova money. Same.

Dasher
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Curious to see who you think they should have drafted @ 10? Leonard, Zeller? I liked the Rivers pick for the bench and for a franchise that needs big names to sell tickets.
Kendall Marshall and possibly Terrence Jones, Perry Jones, or Maurice Harkless would have been my top 4 at #10.

NOHCP3
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
:facepalm the espn article says the hornets plan to play him alongside Davis... Thinking that means him playing the 5

Meticode
07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
:facepalm the espn article says the hornets plan to play him alongside Davis... Thinking that means him playing the 5
Well he certainly isn't a SF. Davis is going to be a center in the league anyway.

NOHCP3
07-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Kendall Marshall and possibly Terrence Jones, Perry Jones, or Maurice Harkless would have been my top 4 at #10.

Alot of hornets fans wanted Marshall over Rivers @ 10. I would have been fine with that pick. Liked rivers cus it had the city talking about the 2 players... I'd be lying if I didn't say Marshall was the better fit.

NOHCP3
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Well he certainly isn't a SF. Davis is going to be a center in the league anyway.

Too soon IMO would have rather him get his feet wet at the 4 then transition to the 5 after an offseason of strength training.

sagr32
07-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Damn 9 million a year for a shooting PF who doesn't defend or rebound? And Small Market owners complain about disparity when they give out contracts like that.

Meticode
07-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Too soon IMO would have rather him get his feet wet at the 4 then transition to the 5 after an offseason of strength training.
F*ck it. Dump in there now. Learn on the go.

GOBB
07-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Damn 9 million a year for a shooting PF who doesn't defend or rebound? And Small Market owners complain about disparity when they give out contracts like that.

He rebounds better than he ever has especially on the off boards. Could be contract year stuff.

RoTM
07-08-2012, 03:57 PM
AD is playing center. This move is obviously aimed with that in mind. He would in fact be less valuable anywhere else and even if he comes in sucking he will still be top 10 at his position.

BlackVVaves
07-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Question, after the Rockets have gutted their team for picks for Dwight, why would Dwight resign? That's a much worst team situation than Orlando in a more stacked conference. Also, Dwight wants to play with an above average point guard - the reason he wanted Nash on the Magic, wanted to play wherever Deron went (Nets or Mavs). The Rockets have Mr. ? at point guard, after losing and trading probably the best point guard rotation production wise in the league (:facepalm )

Why in hell does anyone think Dwight would even think about committing to Houston after a trade? Which leaves me at, why mortgage probably the next 3-5 years on an one year rental of Dwight, a year you may not even make the playoffs?

Meticode
07-08-2012, 03:59 PM
7.7 RPG for a shooting PF in 32 minutes per game is decent to me. :confusedshrug: His minutes to rebound ration is similiar to that of a Dirk or something like that. Not great for their height and position, but not horrible like a 7 foot Broke Lopez either.

niko
07-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Question, after the Rockets have gutted their team for picks for Dwight, why would Dwight resign? That's a much worst team situation than Orlando in a more stacked conference. Also, Dwight wants to play with an above average point guard - the reason he wanted Nash on the Magic, wanted to play wherever Deron went (Nets or Mavs). The Rockets have Mr. ? at point guard, after losing and trading probably the best point guard rotation production wise in the league (:facepalm )

Why in hell does anyone think Dwight would even think about committing to Houston after a trade? Which leaves me at, why mortgage probably the next 3-5 years on an one year rental of Dwight, a year you may not even make the playoffs?
People keep saying this. There are no attractive situations with cap space. No ny, no la, no Brooklyn, on and on. Tell me where he goes? Even Dallas sucks now.

mmsupra
07-08-2012, 04:12 PM
People keep saying this. There are no attractive situations with cap space. No ny, no la, no Brooklyn, on and on. Tell me where he goes? Even Dallas sucks now.
Dwight straight up f'ed him self with the opt in , I bet he can't sleep at night :roll:

Dasher
07-08-2012, 04:13 PM
He rebounds better than he ever has especially on the off boards. Could be contract year stuff.
He was a 20/10 cat in college. He has always been a good rebounder. In fact last year wasn't his best rebounder year percentage wise. He has had two better years than last year on the boards.

chazzy
07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Is that really the best they could get?

anthonyRandolph
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Not sure how to feel about this.

chips93
07-08-2012, 04:22 PM

:facepalm

anderson is an elite offensive rebounder

anyway, the fact that a small market teams has to pay big bucks to get just mediocre players is evidence of the disadvantage that they face.

BlackVVaves
07-08-2012, 04:27 PM

I'd think he'd rather at least play with another top 10 player in Dirk than play with Kevin Martin and a garage full of rookies.

Zodiac
07-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Anthony Davis at the 5? Jesus Bynum and Howard are going to make him look worse than Thabeet.

Are the Hornets trying to embarrass Davis he isn't really strong enough to play on the block against 4s, he'll get murdered against 5s

GOBB
07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Anthony Davis at the 5? Jesus Bynum and Howard are going to make him look worse than Thabeet.

Are the Hornets trying to embarrass Davis he isn't really strong enough to play on the block against 4s, he'll get murdered against 5s

Ok so make him come off the bench only against guys his size. PErhaps send him to NBDL until he gets stronger and bigger. :rolleyes:

Kid has to develop. Why act as if he is a finished product or needs to be asap.

Zodiac
07-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Ok so make him come off the bench only against guys his size. PErhaps send him to NBDL until he gets stronger and bigger. :rolleyes:

I'm not but you don't draft a kid #1 overall who has the hype he does and then not start him.

If they start him at the 5 it's going to be brutal until he puts on adequate muscle

anthonyRandolph
07-08-2012, 04:34 PM

This, lmao.

CelticBaller
07-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Ryan Anderson as 6th man, then when he comes in put Davis at 5 and Anderson at 4 to space the floor

QuebecBaller
07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Ryan Anderson as 6th man, then when he comes in put Davis at 5 and Anderson at 4 to space the floor

This

The offseason is not over. The Hornets can still find a starting C

Zodiac
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
That makes no sense, then why draft Rivers at 10 if you're going to match Gordon.

So they're going to let Rivers ride as the 8th or 9th man? I don't believe that.

LamarOdom
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
They should sign Gordon and trade him for a good center.

fsvr54
07-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Ayon is a great hustle guy, I'd rather have him on my team than Ryan Anderson.

Meticode
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
That makes no sense, then why draft Rivers at 10 if you're going to match Gordon.

So they're going to let Rivers ride as the 8th or 9th man? I don't believe that.
I thought they said they want Rivers to run the point and that was their intention?

Zodiac
07-08-2012, 04:43 PM
I thought they said they want Rivers to run the point and that was their intention?
That idea will last all of maybe a week.

Austin Rivers is not a PG

CelticBaller
07-08-2012, 04:45 PM

I'm Hoping Gordon goes to the suns :D
Then Rivers can shine :pimp:

sagr32
07-08-2012, 04:45 PM

So they're going to let Rivers ride as the 8th or 9th man? I don't believe that.What does coming off the bench matter as long as he gets good minutes to develop?

R.I.P.
07-08-2012, 04:48 PM

They gonna play Davis at C for the majority of games. How many centers in this league have the offensive skillset to abuse Davis, even if they are physical enough to push him around? Bynum, Pekovic, Howard, Marc Gasol? Perkins couldn

Zodiac
07-08-2012, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]They gonna play Davis at C for the majority of games. How many centers in this league have the offensive skillset to abuse Davis, even if they are physical enough to push him around? Bynum, Pekovic, Howard, Marc Gasol? Perkins couldn

clipse026
07-08-2012, 05:02 PM
So many people saying what Rivers and Davis can, and can't do. They haven't even played a minute. If Rivers isn't a PG after trying it out, so be it. Doesn't mean he's useless on this roster or in the lineup :confusedshrug: . Davis is thin but that doesn't mean he can't play Center at times or even most of the time. There are maybe 5-6 guys that take advantage of their weight like that at the Center position that can score. Sure he's going be shoved around but he's also incredibly athletic and he will learn. You act like we're expecting to be contenders in year 1. :facepalm Nothing wrong with this move at all. Let the kids play before any of this bullshit.

Zodiac
07-08-2012, 05:06 PM
So many people saying what Rivers and Davis can, and can't do. They haven't even played a minute. If Rivers isn't a PG after trying it out, so be it. Doesn't mean he's useless on this roster or in the lineup :confusedshrug: . Davis is thin but that doesn't mean he can't play Center at times or even most of the time. There are maybe 5-6 guys that take advantage of their weight like that at the Center position that can score. Sure he's going be shoved around but he's also incredibly athletic and he will learn. You act like we're expecting to be contenders in year 1. :facepalm Nothing wrong with this move at all. Let the kids play before any of this bullshit.
If you think a 6'4 Shot Jacker who doesn't have the mentality or passing skills of a PG is actually a PG and that a 220 LBer can play the 5 then you are out of your mind.

clipse026
07-08-2012, 05:07 PM
If you think a 6'4 Shot Jacker who doesn't have the mentality or passing skills of a PG is actually a PG and that a 220 LBer can play the 5 then you are out of your mind.
I hear 19 year olds don't grow or gain weight anymore. And also that they are unteachable and have no potential. :facepalm

CelticBaller
07-08-2012, 05:11 PM
I hear 19 year olds don't grow or gain weight anymore. And also that they are unteachable and have no potential. :facepalm
Trying to to change a SG to PG may never work like Westbrook

look at Steve Francis

clipse026
07-08-2012, 05:12 PM

look at Steve Francis
You're right, but then again it might. I'm not saying it will at all, but the dude hasn't even stepped on the court yet. Pretty ridiculous to write him off already. And if not, he's still a strong guy off the bench.

MeLO MvP 15
07-08-2012, 05:14 PM
You could definitely play Davis at center. There are only like 3-5 Cs that would actually give him problems (Dwight, Bynum and Cousins for sure, maybe Hibbert and Bogut)... for the most part he'll have the advantage at center.

If Camby could have a very successful NBA career at center with his wiry frame, then Davis will be fine. But who is to say that Davis doesn't put on some weight. He's 19, he'll get bigger... look at Dwight, Bynum, Tyson, etc. their rookie years... they all got a A LOT bigger.

knickballer
07-08-2012, 05:15 PM

look at Steve Francis

Yea, but it's much different for a big man. If you are 7 feet tall or close to it you can play the five in the NBA period. Besides a few powerful bigs the league is full of centers that aren't true centers, for your standards atleast. Most centers in the NBA are actually true PF's but playing center due to their height.

Zodiac
07-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Generally speaking a lot of 19 year olds don't grow significantly. Sure he could add more weight but he won't put all on this seasons.

TMT
07-08-2012, 05:17 PM
4 years/ 36 mill for this kid. That's a hell of a pay day. Nearly 10 mil a year is certainly nice.

clipse026
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Generally speaking a lot of 19 year olds don't grow significantly. Sure he could add more weight but he won't put all on this seasons.
Who the **** said he needed to be 265 this year?

CelticBaller
07-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Yea, but it's much different for a big man. If you are 7 feet tall or close to it you can play the five in the NBA period. Besides a few powerful bigs the league is full of centers that aren't true centers, for your standards atleast. Most centers in the NBA are actually true PF's but playing center due to their height.
We where talking about rivers :D

Davis at 5 will probably work charms like KG at 5, but having both Davis and Anderson at the start of the game without a true PG may fvkc up the spacing

dyna
07-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Where is David Stern when needed?

GOBB
07-08-2012, 06:10 PM
If they start him at the 5 it's going to be brutal until he puts on adequate muscle

Ok and :confusedshrug:

josh99
07-08-2012, 06:45 PM
:wtf: :facepalm

PP34Deuce
07-08-2012, 06:55 PM
this reminds me of tom gugliotta and kg. kg was utility player playin sf pf and c. i see no using davis in that way.... davis can defend 3s and rebound.

no gettin creative

BlackWhiteGreen
07-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Anderson and Davis are completely different players but I can't really see AD playing center this early in his career. He's not strong enough to defend NBA centers one-on-one in the post.

Oh yeah, he can't defend Howard or Bynum. Apart from that, who is dangerous enough in the low post?

KeyNote
07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
head scratching to say the least

if you're going to rebuild, you might as well not resign nelson and get a draft pick or 2 for anderson

No idea what orlando is doing or has been doing for about 2 years now (it started by trading for Hedo's contract)

PP34Deuce
07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Oh yeah, he can't defend Howard or Bynum. Apart from that, who is dangerous enough in the low post?

Hes a rangy athlete... have no doubt DAvis can get matched up on a SF on the perimeter and hold his own.... His development will be similar to KG who was utility player first year.

DStebb716
07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
More minutes for my guy Drew.

anthonyRandolph
07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Hes a rangy athlete... have no doubt DAvis can get matched up on a SF on the perimeter and hold his own.... His development will be similar to KG who was utility player first year.
WOW I never thought of playing Davis on other SFs

PP34Deuce
07-08-2012, 10:31 PM
WOW I never thought of playing Davis on other SFs

he covers ground...he blocked jumpshots on perimeter at least once every other game. i think ryan anderson was not good because davis shud not be a center

bagelred
07-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Question, after the Rockets have gutted their team for picks for Dwight, why would Dwight resign?

Well, the better question would be....where's Howard going to go? It's not like all the signature franchises have cap space. No Lakers, no Knicks, no Bulls, no Nets, No Clippers, no Celtics.......Mavericks might be only big market team with cap space next year. So maybe he stays with Houston by default.

ducktape
07-09-2012, 12:53 AM
dwight howard is going to the knicks

two centers

dwight howard + tyson chandler = the twin towers of new york city