PDA

View Full Version : If nets do get Dwight, how big of a contender can they be?

All Net
07-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Top 3? Challenge Miami as team to beat? A year away from winning? Filling out roster etc

Kobe 4 The Win
07-08-2012, 06:26 PM
:roll:

D12"Magic"
07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Pretty Big

Levity
07-08-2012, 06:30 PM
They'd match up pretty well against miami.

lilgodfather1
07-08-2012, 06:31 PM
It would make the ECF the real finals. Whichever team comes out of the East wins.

Foster5k
07-08-2012, 06:34 PM
2nd best team in the NBA.

It would be...

Heat
Nets
Lakers
OKC

then everyone else...

It's A VC3!!!
They are a perfect team in terms of balance. Top 3 pg combined with the best center in the league. Then you have Joe and Gerald who are solid defenders. Wallace is a very good defender. Tech Tele is great too. Not to mention how every opponent will have to play one on one because if you double team any nets player your done.

If Howard took Orlando to the finals this team is a sure winner.

liquidrage

It would be...

Heat
Nets
Lakers
OKC

then everyone else...

LOL.

It would be
Heats
OKC
Lakers
Spurs
Nets

D12"Magic"
07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
LOL.

It would be
Heats
OKC
Lakers
Spurs
Nets
:lol

LamarOdom
07-08-2012, 06:37 PM
LOL.

It would be
Heats
OKC
Lakers
Spurs
Nets

lol @ u Nets would definitely be the best team or second best if Howard went there just a perfectly built team.

Nets/Heat
Lakers/OKC

amfirst
07-08-2012, 06:38 PM
They could be pretty good. But if u want to win a championship u need a good post player.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-08-2012, 06:40 PM

It would be...

Heat
Nets
Lakers
OKC

then everyone else...

wade is 30+.....so the order should be

OKC
Heat
Clippers
Lakers
Nets

D12"Magic"
They could be pretty good. But if u want to win a championship u need a good post player.
:oldlol:

Derka
Paying Dwight, Deron, JJ and Crash is murder on what they can get.

Cangri
07-08-2012, 06:41 PM
lol @ u Nets would definitely be the best team or second best if Howard went there just a perfectly built team.

Nets/Heat
Lakers/OKC
This, the Nets would be behind Miami this year but the next year they could surpass them with Wade declining even more.

icewill36
07-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Paying Dwight, Deron, JJ and Crash is murder on what they can get.

much easier to fill in role players than get your hands on stars. if they get howard the hard work is done. people said the same thing about boston, then miami.... both filled their rosters fine and won titles.

hawksdogsbraves
07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
I think they'd immediately be the second best team in the league. The Heat would probably still be better next season, but once the Nets settled in and filled the roster out with some ring chasing vets it would be pretty equal.

Nickel06
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Need one more piece.....Phil Jackson to mix it all together :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Raz
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Very well-rounded group.

They'll need to pray some decent players will want to sign for the minimum.
They should take a chance on the two Georgetown kids, Hollis Thompson and Henry Sims. Both potentially solid NBA role players

Raz
07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Need one more piece.....Phil Jackson to mix it all together :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Beats the hell out of Avery Johnson - and they have the money to do it.

Cherry Picker
07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
82 wins

LA_Showtime
07-08-2012, 08:05 PM
I'd put Miami above them because they are the defending champions but it would be hard not to consider the Nets to be the closet favorites coming out of the East. Like it or not, whoever has Howard (with a good team around them) is the favorite at this point.

Nash
07-08-2012, 08:06 PM
How is their bench? If decent they could really challenge Miami and actually beat them. Howard to the Nets makes the Camby to Miami scenario even more important.

SMoKe0uT
07-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Tony Mejia: Spoke w/ source who tells me Nets deal WON'T happen. Teams lining up w/ offers featuring cap relief/picks, which Hennigan wanted all along. 2 minutes ago

R.I.P.
07-08-2012, 08:09 PM
If they get Dwight they are the #1 contender and the new CBA is dead before it even kicked in. :lol All it does is enable the big market/super-rich owners to build superteams, while the other markets starve to suck.

The Redeem Team has effectively killed the NBA and the true reason that Stern wants an under 23 Olympic squad is the fear that all these guys get too attached to each other and the feeling how much easier basketball is with a few superstars on your team.

NumberSix
07-08-2012, 08:41 PM
2nd or 3rd best team in the east.

Dwight, D-Will & Joe Johnson alone aren't enough to win. They'd have to make more moves than just getting Dwight.

nycelt84
07-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Top 2 in the East within 2 years and depending on coaching a strong threat to Miami.

chazzy
07-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Dwight, D-Will & Joe Johnson alone aren't enough to win. They'd have to make more moves than just getting Dwight.
Gerald Wallace. What else do they really need besides shoring up the bench?

liquidrage
07-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Ummm money? And Wallace and Johnson aren't elite players, but are played like it.

LOL at the Nets. 50 win team, out in Rnd 2 at best.

28renyoy
07-08-2012, 08:48 PM
If Teletovic is as good as advertised?

Nets

Thunder/Heat

Lakers/Bulls

NumberSix
07-08-2012, 08:49 PM
You just said what they need.

Derka
07-08-2012, 08:51 PM
In the first year, it won't be pretty...chemistry isn't something a bunch of alpha males in their prime years just automatically have. What KG, Ray and Paul did was something special that probably won't happen again.

It'll be another Miami Year 1 deal...three studs and a coach just trying to figure out everybody's role in the thing.

LA_Showtime
07-08-2012, 08:53 PM
In the first year, it won't be pretty...chemistry isn't something a bunch of alpha males in their prime years just automatically have. What KG, Ray and Paul did was something special that probably won't happen again.

It'll be another Miami Year 1 deal...three studs and a coach just trying to figure out everybody's role in the thing.

I see no reason why the Nets can't do what the Celtics did. People seem to forget that the Celtics were an average offensive team until they magically came together in the Finals. What they relied upon to get them there was defense. Given that Dwight made a joke of a team one of the best defense squads in the league, I see no reason he can't do the same with more talent.

CelticBaller
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Not beating the Celtics

It's A VC3!!!
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Chemistry is not hard to accumulate between a top 3 PG and the best center in the NBA. Those two positions mesh well. Joe is better at being a combo two guard who feeds off of Deron's stellar play. Then you have Wallace who only scores off hustle, cutting and screens. This isn't LeBron, Kobe, Melo, and Durant on the same team so stop trying to act like it is.:facepalm :hammerhead:

Derka
07-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Chemistry is not hard to accumulate between a top 3 PG and the best center in the NBA. Those two positions mesh well. Joe is better at being a combo two guard who feeds off of Deron's stellar play. Then you have Wallace who only scores off hustle, cutting and screens. This isn't LeBron, Kobe, Melo, and Durant on the same team so stop trying to act like it is.:facepalm :hammerhead:

Stopped reading there. If that's honestly your opinion, the rest isn't worth reading.

It's A VC3!!!
07-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Stopped reading there. If that's honestly your opinion, the rest isn't worth reading.

Your just a hater who happens to be upset that the Nets>Celtics. Not once do I remember hating the Celtics when the big 3 formed. It's fine you will move on.

Derka
07-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I see no reason why the Nets can't do what the Celtics did. People seem to forget that the Celtics were an average offensive team until they magically came together in the Finals. What they relied upon to get them there was defense. Given that Dwight made a joke of a team one of the best defense squads in the league, I see no reason he can't do the same with more talent.

We'll see how it shakes out should the team come together, but I don't think its quite so cut and dried as "Howard did it with less talented guys." That Magic Finals in 09 wasn't a fluke...they played a really terrific season. Those less talented guys were also the league's top three point shooting team that year. The Cavs were one miracle three from Lebron away from being swept by that Magic team.

Again, its three guys in the primes of their career who all pretty much play the game their own way trying to figure out how to make everything work as a tandem. The C's were three veterans who knew exactly what had to happen going into the season.

I feel like it'll be an experience closer to what Miami went through in 2011, but if I'm wrong so be it.

dyna
07-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Heat
OKC
Lakers
Nets
Celtics
Spurs

It's A VC3!!!
07-08-2012, 09:07 PM
We'll see how it shakes out should the team come together, but I don't think its quite so cut and dried as "Howard did it with less talented guys." That Magic Finals in 09 wasn't a fluke...they played a really terrific season. Those less talented guys were also the league's top three point shooting team that year. The Cavs were one miracle three from Lebron away from being swept by that Magic team.

Again, its three guys in the primes of their career who all pretty much play the game their own way trying to figure out how to make everything work as a tandem. The C's were three veterans who knew exactly what had to happen going into the season.

I feel like it'll be an experience closer to what Miami went through in 2011, but if I'm wrong so be it.

Oh gosh, shut up.:facepalm

Derka
07-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Your just a hater who happens to be upset that the Nets>Celtics. Not once do I remember hating the Celtics when the big 3 formed. It's fine you will move on.

I have absolutely no compulsion to hate the Nets and I never have. No idea where you're getting this from unless you're just mad that I don't love your team or something. I don't think Howard going to the Nets is a terrible thing at all and I've never said so. Hell, in a series between the Heat and Nets, I'm on the Brooklyn bandwagon all the way...ESPECIALLY if they somehow hold on to my fellow PC alum Marshon Brooks.

Derka
07-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Oh gosh, shut up.:facepalm

The f*ck is your problem, dude? I don't hate the Nets. I just don't think they're going to be an instant winner. Is there something horrifically wrong with that you can't accept?

It's A VC3!!!
07-08-2012, 09:15 PM
The f*ck is your problem, dude? I don't hate the Nets. I just don't think they're going to be an instant winner. Is there something horrifically wrong with that you can't accept?

I respect your opinion but you are saying that the reason is because of a chemistry problem. D-Will and Dwight will mesh perfectly and Joe and Gerald have no ego's at all. This is not a team composed of Kobe , LeBron, Durant, and Carmelo. I guarantee no chemistry problems. A more reasonable post who have been to say that they aren't winners because of no back-up center, no bench, but chemistry is something that NO outsider has any awareness about. D-will and Dwight are best friends too.

All Net
07-09-2012, 02:44 AM
I know people are saying year 2 is their best chance but Johnson will be 32 so will Wallace I believe. How many role players can they get to fill the roster? As that's alot of min contracts to get like Miami had to do...

Think they would obviously give Miami problems and you could argue they may have two of the 3 best players in the series if you consider deron better than wade but Miami would certainly far More deeper team.

Would be fun though.

ImmortalD24
07-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Top 3? Challenge Miami as team to beat? A year away from winning? Filling out roster etc
Meh.. It's tough to be scared of teams without legit size. Still would have Lakers over both.

All Net
07-09-2012, 02:53 AM

If anything chemistry is one of the hardest things to get right. That was big with Miami in year one. How well wade. And lebron played together in year 1 was completely different from how good they played together this year.. Same with bosh

Building chemistry with pieces like that take time... Sometimes a full season.

tomtucker
07-09-2012, 02:54 AM
not gonna watch em

Aidz
07-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Can someone explain why the Nets didn't offer Orlando the same offer they made Atlanta for JJ?

Kiddlovesnets
07-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Dunno if they will be better or comparable to Heat, Thunder and even the Spurs, but I am 100% sure they will be better than the Knicks this way.

@Aidz: To me it seems that trading for Joe Johnson was a desperate move to get Deron Williams to stay. It worked out nicely, at least from my perspective.

Trentknicks
07-09-2012, 04:11 AM
Dunno if they will be better or comparable to Heat, Thunder and even the Spurs, but I am 100% sure they will be better than the Knicks this way.

@Aidz: To me it seems that trading for Joe Johnson was a desperate move to get Deron Williams to stay. It worked out nicely, at least from my perspective.
lol, everyone underestimates how good the knicks could be when healthy and have had time to develop chemistry.

Say the Nets have D Will, JJ, Wallace (who isnt included in the trade) & Dwight, thats 70 million in salary, are the going to get D league players to fill out the roster?

Kiddlovesnets
07-09-2012, 04:14 AM
lol, everyone underestimates how good the knicks could be when healthy and have had time to develop chemistry.

Say the Nets have D Will, JJ, Wallace (who isnt included in the trade) & Dwight, thats 70 million in salary, are the going to get D league players to fill out the roster?

Thats a big 'if'...
:lol

Blue&Orange
07-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Let just put it this way,

Howard, D-Will, JJ, Crash >>> Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Chalmers or whoever

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2012, 04:20 AM

Yep. Fighting with Boston and Chicago when Rose gets healthy.

everyone underestimates how good the knicks could be when healthy and have had time to develop chemistry

No we don't. We know Carmelo and the Knicks track record enough to not take them to seriously.

Kiddlovesnets
07-09-2012, 04:22 AM
No we don't. We know Carmelo and the Knicks track record enough to not take them to seriously.

Well we can be serious about the Knicks when it comes down to offering garbage contracts, we always do dont we?
:D

Bosnian Sajo
07-09-2012, 04:23 AM
A distributing PG, spot up shooters at the 2 and 4, and big rebounders/athletic players at the 3 and 5...championship team imo. :cheers:

RIP CITY
07-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Would depend on how they fill out the rest of the roster outside of the Big 4. Potentially the best team in the NBA. As is, with just Howard + scrubs added, somewhere between 3-5, strong contenders. If they could land and/or keep 3 solid role players between now and the season, probably behind Miami.

Kiddlovesnets
07-09-2012, 04:31 AM
Would depend on how they fill out the rest of the roster outside of the Big 4. Potentially the best team in the NBA. As is, with just Howard + scrubs added, somewhere between 3-5, strong contenders. If they could land and/or keep 3 solid role players between now and the season, probably behind Miami.

Yeah I'd agree with this, it is important to fill in role players to this team in order to be a serious contender, with or without Dwight. We already have Evans, but we will need more than that.

All Net
07-09-2012, 04:55 AM
As Miami showed it is tough to fill out roster with min players. Miami had to do it first year and did quite well with who they got. Not a lot of choice right now though.

BoutPractice
07-09-2012, 05:00 AM
They're dangerous enough to seriously challenge the idea of a Heat dynasty, at least on paper. They'll need a lot of 3 point shooting to get it done.

Xiao Yao You
07-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Who's replacing Orlando and Atlanta in the playoffs now besides NJ? Detroit appears to be headed in the right direction again finally.

nbaballllller
07-09-2012, 05:19 AM
they are a legit threat.

imo howard is the only person capable of stopping miami in the next 2 years and if he is with a good team then they have a shot.

KDthunderup
07-09-2012, 05:50 AM
I reckon they will beat Miami

Boomerang
07-09-2012, 06:41 AM
Even with Dwight, Miami will sweep them.

Ok, that's not realistic. They might win one game.

bluechox2
07-09-2012, 07:44 AM
dwight with a real pg distributing = domination

k0kakw0rld
07-09-2012, 07:58 AM
They are a perfect team in terms of balance. Best pg in the league combined with the best center in the league. Then you have Joe and Gerald who are solid defenders. Wallace is a very good defender. Tech Tele is great too. Not to mention how every opponent will have to play one on one because if you double team any nets player your done.

If Howard took Orlando to the finals this team is a sure winner.
Fixed.

SilkkTheShocker
07-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Fixed.

Replace Deron with CP3 and the Nets would have had a better record last season

Rysio
07-09-2012, 08:19 AM
would beat the heat in 5.

SilkkTheShocker
07-09-2012, 08:34 AM
#3 seed in the East. They would also have a shorter window to win a title imo. Wallace is an injury concern and JJ is declining. Still a good team. But I don't see them beating Miami or Boston in a 7 game series. A lot will also depend on how Dwight comes back from back surgery.

niko
07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
I see the Net fans are not yet awake. As a resident of Brooklyn I will speak on their behalf. The Nets would shit on Miami, make Bosh cry, Lebron run back to Cleveland and Wade hide behind his scary ass ex wife.

That is all.

It's A VC3!!!
07-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I see the Net fans are not yet awake. As a resident of Brooklyn I will speak on their behalf. The Nets would shit on Miami, make Bosh cry, Lebron run back to Cleveland and Wade hide behind his scary ass ex wife.

That is all.
I couldn't have said it better myself. The heat nor can any orbs team effectively guard each of our big four. Silkthedumbass is just a fail poster hating.

niko
07-09-2012, 09:00 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself. The heat nor can any orbs team effectively guard each of our big four. Silkthedumbass is just a fail poster hating.
I'll have to essentially stop watching basketball for five years if this trade happens but still, THE NETS WILL KICK THE HEATS ASS. Lebron is so last year.

PJR
07-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Could be really good, but still ain't beating Miami in a best of 7.

No Evans!
07-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Dwight Howard and a bunch of scrubs in Orlando always gave Miami trouble. Nevertheless, the Nets are not better than the Heat. Who knows what Teletovic will do in the NBA and the bench, sans Gerald Green, will be ugly.

bluechox2
07-09-2012, 09:26 AM
dwight with scrubs carried orlando

just think about it

SilkkTheShocker
07-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Dwight Howard and a bunch of scrubs in Orlando always gave Miami trouble. Nevertheless, the Nets are not better than the Heat. Who knows what Teletovic will do in the NBA and the bench, sans Gerald Green, will be ugly.

Isn't Green a free agent?

No Evans!
07-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Isn't Green a free agent?

I assumed they would re-sign him, but if they don't....damn

tommy3
07-09-2012, 09:33 AM

just think about it
The sad things is, the cap space they have isn't enough to fill a roster, even with scrubs. They'd have to get D-league players, and have a 6-man rotation :lol

bluechox2
07-09-2012, 09:34 AM
nets should sign balkman, he would be good in tansition

niko
07-09-2012, 09:34 AM
nets should sign balkman, he would be good in tansition
Balkman is good for one moment a night where you go WOW! The rest of the time he is hot garbage.

SilkkTheShocker
07-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I assumed they would re-sign him, but if they don't....damn

Yea they really could Green as a 6th man. Not sure what the situation is with that.

Optimus Prime
07-09-2012, 09:40 AM
:lol @ Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace contracts ... and they are both over 30! :kobe:

bluechox2
07-09-2012, 09:42 AM
:lol @ Joe Johnson and Gerald Wallace contracts ... and they are both over 30! :kobe:
better than what they traded for him

Optimus Prime
07-09-2012, 09:46 AM
better than what they traded for him

No not if you can see the big picture. That JJ contract was awful when he signed it ... easily the worst non amnestied or bought out contract in the NBA. And Wallace hasn't been the same since Charlotte plus he is older and injury prone so that means ... more money?!:wtf:

Plus the picks and money they gave up to acquire two overpaid guys on the wrong side of 30 ... ouch. :kobe:

SilkkTheShocker
07-09-2012, 09:50 AM

This point isn't being brought enough. JJ and Wallace are both declining. Their window to win a title wouldn't be that long. We also have no clue how Dwight comes back from surgery.

swi7ch
07-09-2012, 09:53 AM
LBJ, Wade, Bosh are still better than DWill, JJ, D12 overall.

All Net
07-09-2012, 10:00 AM

If this goes through I can tell what kind of poster you may be this upcoming season :oldlol:

All Net
07-09-2012, 10:01 AM

just think about it

To a first round exit?

It's A VC3!!!
07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
No not if you can see the big picture. That JJ contract was awful when he signed it ... easily the worst non amnestied or bought out contract in the NBA. And Wallace hasn't been the same since Charlotte plus he is older and injury prone so that means ... more money?!:wtf:

Plus the picks and money they gave up to acquire two overpaid guys on the wrong side of 30 ... ouch. :kobe:
First of all, your a dumbass.

Glad we cleared that out. Acquiring JJ was critical in getting Dwill to stay a Net. No JJ = no Dwill, possibly. Gerald Wallace is only 29 and he is better then any player the Nets would have got in the draft. You bring up the money but it's another terrible attempt by a hater. After D12, the Nets will be at 68 million between those four players. They will pass the hard cap and it will be around 20-30 million yearly until 2015. Prok is valued at 13 BILLION. you tell him that he has to shell out 20 million for a contender and he says it's fine because I've wiped my ass with so many hundred dollar bills that it's probably been more then I have to pay the big four. Hatres are afraid of the nets!!!!
Be happy for once you damn miserable losers instead of wasting time and energy attempting to hate something you cannot control.

NOHCP3
07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Would be a great series. It still think Miami takes it in 7 in the playoffs. Just think you let Dwight get his and stay on the rest of their big 3. Would take big effort from JJ to win that battle and i don't know if you can depend on him beyond that

It's A VC3!!!
07-09-2012, 10:07 AM
If this goes through I can tell what kind of poster you may be this upcoming season :oldlol:

Between classes and my job when the season starts combined, none it's why I have so minimal posts in this period of time. I primarily post in the summer.

And when the nets were bad nobody cared about saying anything about them. Now since the nets are good the hatres have came out of their caves.

All Net
07-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Between classes and my job when the season starts combined, none it's why I have so minimal posts in this period of time. I primarily post in the summer.

And when the nets were bad nobody cared about saying anything about them. Now since the nets are good the hatres have came out of their caves.

I didn't say it would be a completely bad thing

Nets getting dwight would be great for the east and Miami had it on lock for a fair few years... Could also make Miami step their games up if a team like this to challenge them.