PDA

View Full Version : Pacers matching Portland's offer for Roy Hibbert

DuMa
07-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Mike Wells: The Pacers are matching Portland's 4-year, $58 million offer to Roy Hibbert, according to a source.

Mike Wells is a Pacers beat writer at Indianapolis Star since 2005.

Haymaker
07-09-2012, 02:40 PM
ridiculous. but they have no choice.

QuebecBaller
07-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Maybe the Pacers can sign Jermaine O'Neal for the vet.minimum to mentor Hibbert since O'Neal would like to finish his career in Indiana

Haymaker
07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Maybe the Pacers can sign Jermaine O'Neal for the vet.minimum to mentor Hibbert since O'Neal would like to finish his career in Indiana O'Neal can't even mentor his children. He's a moron.

ncrizzle
07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Its as if there was no Lock out at all last season. This new CBA is working great.... :hammerhead:

DuMa
07-09-2012, 02:49 PM
So now who does Portland go after? they should be going after Dwight imho

roffie
07-09-2012, 03:39 PM
not surprised tbh..no way pacers will let him slip. such a shame, wouldn't mine seeing some LMA and hibbert backcourt

KyrieTheFuture
07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Another over paid big man SHOCKING. Dude couldn't do anything against a team with no one within 6 inches of his height. *****.

DaSeba5
07-09-2012, 03:42 PM
He's an overpaid big man because the center position is very weak in today's NBA, but the Pacers can't afford to lose him so this isn't a surprise.

Haymaker
07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
At least the kid works on his game fervently every year. Hopefully he keeps playing with Duncan in the offseason.

RoseCity07
07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
So now the Pacers are basically the same team with even less flexibility now? They still won't make it past Miami. They will try and move Hibbert next year when they get bounced by Miami.

DTreats
07-09-2012, 04:16 PM
10/10 gets you a max :lol

Keelyus
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Lol. Dwight wants to nut-hug on a team of all stars and I'm sure he doesn't want a small market team.... Lol

But I wish...

NumberSix
07-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Phase 1) Owners force a lockout, complaining about paying players too much......

Phase 2) The very next offseason.... teams throw ridiculous money at scrubs, has-beens & role players......

Phase 3) Profit

I<3NBA
07-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Phase 1) Owners force a lockout, complaining about paying players too much......

Phase 2) The very next offseason.... teams throw ridiculous money at scrubs, has-beens & role players......

Phase 3) Profit
the lockout was actually about the owners wanting shorter contracts and non-guaranteed deals. they got the former, struck out on the latter, which IMO was a sucky deal for the owners since guaranteed deals are the real money drain on a franchise when players are non-performing. but eh :confusedshrug:

that's better than nothing. maybe next lockout they can push non-guaranteed contracts and successfully get it.

RidonKs
07-09-2012, 06:09 PM
O'Neal can't even mentor his children. He's a moron.
:oldlol:

R.I.P.
07-09-2012, 06:09 PM
10/10 gets you a max :lol

Well max is lower now. He gets less than Tyson Chandler, who is also a 10/10 player with better defense, but lesser offense. Chandler is also four years older. That

Blue&Orange
07-09-2012, 06:13 PM
He gets less than Tyson Chandler
Wrong

Freedom Kid7
07-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Well Hibbert is the only thing close to a star they have so I'm not completely surprised. Max offer is overkill though

R.I.P.
07-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Wrong

Okay Hibbert gets two million more. Big ****ing whoop-di-do.

Crown&Coke
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
not surprised tbh..no way pacers will let him slip. such a shame, wouldn't mine seeing some LMA and hibbert backcourt

If Lebron and Wade get to play in the backcourt. Hibbert and LMA get to play in the backcourt together too :rockon:

Levity
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
supposedly, larry quit because the pacers didnt want to spend the money to keep hibbert. i wonder how much truth there was to that

Bigsmoke
07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Maybe the Pacers can sign Jermaine O'Neal for the vet.minimum to mentor Hibbert since O'Neal would like to finish his career in Indiana

he is working with Tim Duncan :confusedshrug:

StateOfMind12
07-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Hibbert's knees are relieved.

QuebecBaller
07-09-2012, 07:25 PM

I didn't know that information, sorry

bagelred
07-09-2012, 07:31 PM

Portland needs to give Brook Lopez a max contract, so they can f-ck up Dwight Howard's Net career.:oldlol:

Pleeeeeeeeeeease do it Portland.:rockon:

QuebecBaller
07-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Portland needs to give Brook Lopez a max contract, so they can f-ck up Dwight Howard's Net career.:oldlol:

Pleeeeeeeeeeease do it Portland.:rockon:

:lol :lol

G-train
07-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Would have let him walk.

wally_world
07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
They had to do it, but the potential of this team maxes out as a ECSF/ECF team at most.

Nelson14
07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
hibbert sucked against the heat and they don't even have a center:oldlol:

PacerRaptor
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
hibbert sucked against the heat and they don't even have a center:oldlol:
They dont have a PG either....thats what happens when you have James, Wade and Bosh on the same team

RIP CITY
07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Kind of disappointed, I was looking forward to watching a Hibbert/Aldridge frontcourt duo.

G-train
07-10-2012, 12:45 AM
They dont have a PG either....thats what happens when you have James, Wade and Bosh on the same team

Correction, the Heat didn't have Bosh all series bar 16 minutes.

DuMa
07-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Kind of disappointed, I was looking forward to watching a Hibbert/Aldridge frontcourt duo.

me too actually. they could rival the Lakers' twin towers with that front court.

bluechox2
07-10-2012, 02:52 AM
hibbert is overrated

Myth
07-10-2012, 04:19 AM
Disappointed Pacers matched, but I don't blame them. I would have if I were them too. They matched for the same reason Portland offered: No other good bigs available.

Now, Blazers really need to sign and trade Batum to Minny. It is one thing to get Hibbert and then match Batum, because once Hibbert signs, all flexibility is out the window anyway, so might as well retain Batum. But without Hibbert, there is no point in tying up all of our cap flexibility to have the same team as last year (minus a couple players, plus a few rookies). So, let Minny have his overpaid ass, but sucker them out of a few assets in addition. Go for some combo of 1st rounder, Ridnour, Budinger, expirings. Heck, even just a 1st rounder plus not re-signing him for so damn much is enough IMO.

Btw, this Batum situation is why I wanted him traded a year ago or more. I knew he would get an offer that is worth more than he is actually worth.

Timmy D. Law
07-10-2012, 06:38 AM

I know that Tristan Thompson worked with Duncan the last summer, and is about to work again with him this up coming summer I guess.
Perhaps Olajuwon will be working out with RH :confusedshrug:

Rnbizzle
07-10-2012, 06:40 AM
I like Hibbert and I think the Pacers did the right thing by matching, but I don't see him carrying a team anywhere. He just doesn't have the mentality. He's a solid, solid player but he's not the first (or even second option) offensively on a good team if you ask me.

jbot
07-10-2012, 06:47 AM
dammit roy, you better stay! that seems like a gagload of $ but like someone mentioned...there aren't very many good centers in the league right now.

PTstyle272
07-10-2012, 08:53 AM
At least Roy has proven he is going to put in work to better himself year after year. He is not the sort of guy who will slack off now that he's gotten paid.

Worst case scenario is that he puts up numbers like he did last year for the remainder of his career(respectable but not max worthy), but I dont see him regressing.

franchise#3
07-10-2012, 09:41 AM
And people say Lopez isn't worth a max deal.

Droid101
07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Portland has officially taken back their agreement to sign him to the offer sheet.

Seems shady. I don't like that.

Droid101
07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Not sure what series you watched, but when the Pacer's starting lineup was in the game, they outscored the Heat by a fairly large margin.

hawksdogsbraves
07-10-2012, 11:45 PM
At least Roy has proven he is going to put in work to better himself year after year. He is not the sort of guy who will slack off now that he's gotten paid.

Worst case scenario is that he puts up numbers like he did last year for the remainder of his career(respectable but not max worthy), but I dont see him regressing.

I wouldn't say that's worst case scenario, I'd just say that that's the overwhelmingly likely scenario.

Oh well, if you're gonna overpay somebody it may as well be somebody with a big body.

stephanieg
07-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Your knees are safe, Roy.

tedloc
07-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Disappointed Pacers matched, but I don't blame them. I would have if I were them too. They matched for the same reason Portland offered: No other good bigs available.

Now, Blazers really need to sign and trade Batum to Minny. It is one thing to get Hibbert and then match Batum, because once Hibbert signs, all flexibility is out the window anyway, so might as well retain Batum. But without Hibbert, there is no point in tying up all of our cap flexibility to have the same team as last year (minus a couple players, plus a few rookies). So, let Minny have his overpaid ass, but sucker them out of a few assets in addition. Go for some combo of 1st rounder, Ridnour, Budinger, expirings. Heck, even just a 1st rounder plus not re-signing him for so damn much is enough IMO.

Btw, this Batum situation is why I wanted him traded a year ago or more. I knew he would get an offer that is worth more than he is actually worth.

Well said.... id play hardball and say budinger and willaims
Or no deal... i bet they cave.

FireDavidKahn
07-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Well said.... id play hardball and say budinger and willaims
Or no deal... i bet they cave.
Ya I'm sure they would.:oldlol:

Budinger isn't going anywhere.

InspiredLebowski
07-11-2012, 03:54 AM
This is a marginally above market deal.

It's the moronic George Hill extension that will hamstring us. Hill and Collison are the reasons Hibbert can't dominate a game, they can't make a ****ing entry pass to save their lives. You can't dominate when you establish position and all your small 2s playing the point can't get you the damn ball because they don't know how to pass over the top of a fronting defender.

Collison and Hill are different types of players, but overall they both contribute to more or less the same amount of wins while not helping any other player. Let Hill hit the open market, he gets an MLE+ offer sheet, walk. Then play Collison on the last year of his rookie deal with a lot more open in season cap space to try and find an upgrade. Shit, take Calderon's expiring deal in a salary dump if it comes to that and watch Hibbert put up 18/10. No upgrade to be found via trade? Bummer, give Collison his QO and keep him, dude's not getting anywhere near 5/$40 on the open market like Hill.

But Bird liked Hill and had to have him, overpaid just to get him, and now we've overpaid to keep him. Get the **** out of Indiana Bird and stop sending me stamped signature not interested replies to my resume.

Tarik One
05-29-2014, 02:24 PM
So now the Pacers are basically the same team with even less flexibility now? They still won't make it past Miami. They will try and move Hibbert next year when they get bounced by Miami.
Bump.

Most of the replies were spot on. Almost 2 years ago