PDA

View Full Version : JR Smith re-signs with Knicks

bagelred
07-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley

The 2 yr deal, worth $2.8 per year season, will give the #Knicks Smith's early bird rights heading into the 2nd year, Smith's option yr.

It's $2.8 million PER YEAR, or I should say first year. Second year player option.

We figured. That's the most Knicks can pay JR.

What's happening here is this. It's another option for next year....this way NEXT year, Knicks will have JR Smith's Early Bird right, and then Knicks can pay him MLE type money instead of just $2.8 million.

JR must really want to be a Knick, because he could lock up long term deal for more money right now somewhere else.

The JR Smith/Woodson combo makes me sick though. here's hoping someone keeps JR in line (Kidd?)

Batz
07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
2 years, $2.8 mil w/player option for 2nd yr
The flip?

IGOTGAME
07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Bad career move.

zac
07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
$2.8mil total for 2 years? Or $2.8 per year? At 2 years, that seems low.

TMT
07-10-2012, 12:41 AM
What the hell? Wow, HUGE steal for the Knicks with that small paycheck. :eek:

Sarcastic
07-10-2012, 12:44 AM
He has no where else to go. If he gives the Knicks another year for cheap, Dolan will reward him with a nice contract next year, and he will give his brother a chance. Plus he is from NJ. The Knicks are his hometown team.

I'll take it.

miamiandorlando
07-10-2012, 12:44 AM
pocket change

BlackVVaves
07-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Wait, he actually agreed to a contract that only pays $1.4 per year?

:wtf:

Edit:: Oh, okay. So it's $2.8 million per year. That's still hella cheap, damn.

d.bball.guy
07-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Wow, 2.8m per year? That's pretty low, Knicks got a steal.

D12"Magic"
07-10-2012, 12:46 AM
He has no where else to go. If he gives the Knicks another year for cheap, Dolan will reward him with a nice contract next year, and he will give his brother a chance. Plus he is from NJ. The Knicks are his hometown team.

I'll take it.
:coleman:

CelticBaller
07-10-2012, 12:47 AM
loyalty :applause:

bagelred
07-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley

Smith added, 'My teammates are great to play with and the NY fans are the best. I can't wait to get started.' ‪#Knicks‬

2m Ian Begley Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley

Smith added, 'Coach Woodson showed a lot of faith and trust in me last season, as did Mr. Dolan & the organization.' (cont'd)

3m Ian Begley Ian Begley ‏@IanBegley

In a statement to http://ESPNNewYork.com

, Smith said, 'I just felt that, despite my other options, NY is the best situation for me.' (cont'd)

:facepalm i'd prefer someone else, but what i can do.......

Sarcastic
07-10-2012, 12:49 AM

No team in Jersey anymore, and the Knicks have always been the Tri-State area's #1 team.

shoops
07-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Smith added, 'Coach Woodson showed a lot of faith and trust in me last season
Can't deny that lmao

Maniak
07-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Respectable enough contract.

MeLO MvP 15
07-10-2012, 01:19 AM
I think this is the best bargain of the off-season. I mean I'd take JR Smith over Jamal Crawford or Nick Young and he got MUCH less than either of them.

I think he took the huge discount because he really loves NY, Woodson, and his teammates. I think the Woodson factor is what really brought him back. It also doesn't hurt that he'll get early bird rights next year so he can get a nice contract.

Grunwald's job this off-season can't be understated. We got a huge break by winning the bird right's case, but he also pulled off some insanely amazing moves. I don't think any team has a better bench than us right now. Kidd-JR-Novak-JJ*-Camby could beat a few teams starters.
*assuming Jefferies re-signs

TMT
07-10-2012, 01:20 AM
He took a little over 1/3rd of what Danny Green was signed to today. That should put it in perspective.

Meticode
07-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Some how this won't work out for the Knicks I bet. He'll get shot and miss the season or something or do something totally stupid like step on Carmelo Anthony while he lays on the ground...

:roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DCJXYbBB7w

Did we ever find out why the f*ck he laid there for so long, or did he just say "F*ck it, I'm going to lay here."

DuMa
07-10-2012, 01:35 AM
JR Smith: I want to wear 23 this year!

Douglas was wearing it last year but Camby wore it when he was with the Knicks.

So who gonna get #23 for the Knicks

el gringos
07-10-2012, 01:52 AM
great deal for the knicks. Carmelo and Jr have been waiting a long time to play together as starters. JR will be so much more efficient playing with the starters than he ever has as the main ball handler/scorer/creator on second units.

now really watch out if they can ever trade amare for a shooting big to allow carmelo to play close to the basket

DaSeba5
07-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Now this is a great deal for JR.

NewYorkNoPicks
07-10-2012, 01:56 AM

JR was born in 1985, any kid who grew up in the 90s in the new york, new jersey, connecticut area was a Knick fan...Nets were irrelevant from 1981 to 2002.

ClutchOver9000
07-10-2012, 02:13 AM
props to JR, great bargain for a very flawed yet very talented player.

BankShot
07-10-2012, 02:19 AM
loyalty :applause:

I really doubt that "loyalty" had anything to do with this signing.

By signing this particular deal he'll have Early Bird Rights next offseason, and he'll be able to opt-out of the second year.

Upon opting out, his Bird Rights will allow the Knicks to go over the salary cap (which they couldn't do this year) to sign him to a multi-year deal as long as they're under the hard cap.

Smart move by Smith and his representation.

BankShot
07-10-2012, 02:21 AM
If you're just looking at the salary for this year, and this year alone, then yeah its definitely a steal.

With that being said, next summer the Knicks FO will be faced with a difficult decision to either give Smith his multi-year payday or try to replace his position with either vet-minimum players or the tax-payer's mini-MLE.

MeLO MvP 15
07-10-2012, 02:21 AM
JR Smith: I want to wear 23 this year!

Douglas was wearing it last year but Camby wore it when he was with the Knicks.

So who gonna get #23 for the Knicks
Yeah he noticed it soon enough and said "nah that's MC's number" then suggest 2, then 4 and then 3 lol

bluechox2
07-10-2012, 02:22 AM
knowing dolan, expect 30 mil for jr next year

BankShot
07-10-2012, 02:25 AM
knowing dolan, expect 30 mil for jr next year

He'll still only be 27 next off-season, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 5-year $32 million deal for Smith if he plays well this season. Maybe even more :confusedshrug:

Rowe
07-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Nobody else in the NBA will commit to JR Smith longterm.

Same situation with Delonte West. Both guys are good players despite their inconsistency, but it's the off the court stuff that scares teams from giving them a 3 or 4 year deal. Delonte has supporters around the league, but George Karl is the #1 reference for anything JR Smith related and it wouldn't surprise me that he offers nothing positive on JR.

JR wants to be in NY because he has a coach in Mike Woodson who is giving him a chance to rebuild his reputation around the league.

DTreats
07-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Some how this won't work out for the Knicks I bet. He'll get shot and miss the season or something or do something totally stupid like step on Carmelo Anthony while he lays on the ground...

:roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DCJXYbBB7w

Did we ever find out why the f*ck he laid there for so long, or did he just say "F*ck it, I'm going to lay here."
Melo actually had a mini brain seizure, it's actually really serious. He missed the next few games before being cleared to play. It might seem funny when you watch the .gif but it was real scary for Melo's family

knickswin
07-10-2012, 02:28 AM
jr sucks but it's still a good deal for the knicks. way below his market value and he is serviceable enough to start at the two. he needs to stop chucking though or i'm going to continue to prefer the idea of getting a less talented, smarter player.

Rowe
07-10-2012, 02:32 AM
He'll still only be 27 next off-season, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 5-year $32 million deal for Smith if he plays well this season. Maybe even more :confusedshrug:
Brand new CBA in place to limit/scare teams from those type of deals for role players. Any team doing a deal like that for JR Smith is going to regret it by mid-way in Year 1. It's more likely he'd get something at 3/$15 Million and that's if he has a good season.

If he gets as much money as you're expecting than it will surely be from Dolan.

BankShot
07-10-2012, 02:39 AM
Brand new CBA in place to limit/scare teams from those type of deals for role players. Any team doing a deal like that for JR Smith is going to regret it by mid-way in Year 1. It's more likely he'd get something at 3/$15 Million and that's if he has a good season.

If he gets as much money as you're expecting than it will surely be from Dolan.

I'm not expecting big money for Smith, I just wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. The new CBA was supposed to provide disincentives for the kind of bad contracts given in the last 5 years... but that isn't necessarily how it will play out.

Like I said, if Smith has a good year and demands decent money, the Knicks (who will be well over the luxury tax threshold) will have a difficult decision to make. They can either pay Smith over-market-value, or try to to fill his role with the tax-payer mini-MLE and vet-min guys.

Who's to say a team like Detroit, Minnesota (god help us), Washington, or Phoenix, won't offer a 4-year $23 million guaranteed at Smith??

bluechox2
07-10-2012, 02:39 AM
knicks might sign his brother

bluechox2
07-10-2012, 02:44 AM
sign martin next and then mardy collins :lol

Bosnian Sajo
07-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Good god what a moron..

NewYorkNoPicks
07-10-2012, 05:17 AM
POWER MOVE! Thanks for the loyalty JR, well hook you up with a nice 4 year deal next season.

bagelred
07-10-2012, 07:46 AM

Some misinformation:

1. Knicks did not have JR Smith's Bird rights this summer. They only have what is called "Non-Bird rights", which means JR can only get a 20% raise from Knicks. And that's what he got, $2.9 million for first year.

2. Knicks ARE over the cap before signing Smith, but it doesn't matter. They could sign JR even though over the cap, because of the Non-Bird rights.

3. JR has an opt out next offseason. Because then, with 2 years with Knicks, JR Smith will have "Early Bird rights". Early Bird rights means you can sign a player to any amount up to the mid-level salary (essentially MLE money). So NEXT offseason, they can give JR Smith up to whatever the MLE is (probably $5 million a year or so).

4. So next offseason, JR CANNOT get max money or close with the Knicks. He still will be limited to MLE type money if he opts out.

5. JR Smith takes too many ridiculous isolation shots, and Woodson encourages it, which drives bagelred insane.

There. Just needed to clear some things up.

The Ownage
07-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Not a big fan of JR but this deal is a no brainer. Thanks JR :bowdown:

Darius
07-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Good deal for the Knicks. He is making half of what Crawford is going to make and only 1 year guaranteed vs. 2

NYCPG
07-10-2012, 10:53 AM
How much money do the Knicks have to spend to fill out their roster? Do they still have the bi annual exception? If so, they should target Bellenelli, Jodie Meeks, or even Mike Redd

WhySoInsecure?
07-10-2012, 10:59 AM
How much money do the Knicks have to spend to fill out their roster? Do they still have the bi annual exception? If so, they should target Bellenelli, Jodie Meeks, or even Mike Redd
I don't think the bi annual exception exists anymore.
All we have left is the min and Dan Gadzuric to trade.

I still think we could pick up some decent players later in the offseason. More guys will get cut because of the luxury tax and guys like Brand/Jamison/Martin might be willing to come over for the minimum. Then you have the failures like Josh Howard and Jonny Flyyn who might also be forced to sign for dirt.

bagelred
07-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Yup Knicks need a shooting guard to backup Smith until Shump's healthy. Redd could be an interesting pickup, but the one thing we need is health....so.....

DKLaker
07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
$2.8mil total for 2 years? Or $2.8 per year? At 2 years, that seems low.

Wow.....who the fk is his agent......he should be fired!!!!!

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Clipperbockers fail again

Blue&Orange
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
sign martin next and then mardy collins :lol
Mardy Collins... That guy had like a 1 month and half where he started for the Knicks and he went bananas, triple doubles on the likes of Jason Kidd, he looked very good, than Marbury came back he went back to the bech, traded, out of the NBA. Never understood it.

Shepseskaf
07-10-2012, 06:38 PM
So, wait... Novak gets a $15m deal, and JR craps out at $4m? :roll:

Something tells me its going to be a strange season, and not in a good way.

wally_world
07-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Wow, thought he wouldve asked for alot more, seems like he really likes being in NY