PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony has become hugely under-appreciated and disrespected.

Snoop_Cat
07-10-2012, 12:57 AM
I wanted to make this thread as a reference to all the retards out there bashing Carmelo (granted, many are imbecilic trolls). I saw that some people made joke threads about Carmelo v. Marvin Williams, but some people legitimately thought that people like Gay were better/better "teammates" than Carmelo.

First off, none of these guys come close to the pure talent and scoring ability that Carmelo brings. I hear crap like "Gay/Granger does exactly what Carmelo does for cheaper". No. They. Don't. They never draw constant doubles, have as versatile skillsets, have less passing ability, much less advanced ball handlers, and are much more one dimensional scorers. In addition, please stop saying that they're better "teammates". Guys like Rudy Gay are just as big, if not bigger, black holes than Carmelo. Then you have guys like Iguodala or Deng who are admittedly better defenders but if you think that you have a better shot of building around them, you are delusional.

Carmelo isn't without faults. He has a tendency to be a black hole, force bad shots, can get lackadaisical on defense. He's never gotten far in the playoffs, but he has plenty of individual accolades so quit it with the "he's never accomplished anything" garbage. You have no idea how difficult it is to consistently be a high scorer, make even 2nd/3rd All-NBA teams, and he is in addition an underrated defender at times and is a terrific rebounder. LeBron/Durant are in that tier of best SFs but Carmelo is in a 2nd tier by himself for SFs. The 3rd tier being guys like Gay, Granger, etc. But, I would easily say the gap between the 1st and 2nd is smaller than the 2nd and 3rd tiers.

As far as to his RECENT playoffs go...... first off, he had that recent series with the Nuggets making it to the WCF.

Let's address the last playoff run with the Knicks. People bring his year down because of the overall poor performance of the Knicks. I'm not going to say he couldn't have played better, because he definitely could have. But, I'm going to defend him in many regards.

A) Look at their f*cking roster: Smith, Amare, Chandler, Novak, Bibby, etc. Not ONE of these guys can create their own offense. Lin/Davis were good, but they were out for the playoffs. I was always nervous as hell watching Bibby dribble the ball up, thinking a TO was imminent. Carmelo was the sole reason they didn't get bounced in 4. He HAD to ball hog for the Knicks to even do anything on offense. The Heat have demonstrated that they have phenomenal team defense, and that's against teams with multiple players who can create. The Knicks literally only had Carmelo. The rest of the team is spot up shooters/people that need to be set up. JR can sort of set up his shot, but he was atrocious.

B) The whole "they only won with Lin" crap. First off, Lin was gradually being/going to be figured out so it was only a matter of time. Second, look at the offensive system vs. the players. Lin is a classic D'Antoni type of player, pushing it, using pick and rolls, etc. It is only rational that they would enjoy brief success finalizing actually utilizing his system. When you looked at a Melo run D'Antoni system, the clashing of styles was so obvious. Melo worked largely on receiving the ball in the post, posting up or passing it out. Considering the fact that D'Antoni had guys literally standing around waiting to chuck a shot was horrible for spacing, especially for Melo. I truly believe that D'Antoni's incapability to adjust the offense/COACH DEFENSE was the single biggest reason for their ineptitude. As proof, Anthony did much better with Woodson as coach and going away from the Run and Gun system.

Now, I know Carmelo has his large share of faults. I fully acknowledge that. But he's becoming so underrated and disrespected it's becoming a travesty. Seriously, he's without a doubt the 3rd best SF in the league and it's not even close. Also, to the idiots who don't think he should be on the Olympic team. Carmelo played phenomenally at the last Olympics and is a perfect international 4. Quick enough to keep up with stretch 4's and strong enough to bang with most aggressive 4's. Not to mention that his offensive game is perfect for it.

DurantFor40
07-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Didn't read

NugzFan
07-10-2012, 01:40 AM
Didn't read

me neither but i am glad melo is under appreciated and disrespected. props for that. :cheers:

SilkkTheShocker
07-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Didn't read
This.

tmacattack33
07-10-2012, 01:44 AM
I wanted to make this thread as a reference to all the retards out there bashing Carmelo (granted, many are imbecilic trolls). I saw that some people made joke threads about Carmelo v. Marvin Williams, but some people legitimately thought that people like Gay were better/better "teammates" than Carmelo.

First off, none of these guys come close to the pure talent and scoring ability that Carmelo brings. I hear crap like "Gay/Granger does exactly what Carmelo does for cheaper". No. They. Don't. They never draw constant doubles, have as versatile skillsets, have less passing ability, much less advanced ball handlers, and are much more one dimensional scorers. In addition, please stop saying that they're better "teammates". Guys like Rudy Gay are just as big, if not bigger, black holes than Carmelo. Then you have guys like Iguodala or Deng who are admittedly better defenders but if you think that you have a better shot of building around them, you are delusional.

Carmelo isn't without faults. He has a tendency to be a black hole, force bad shots, can get lackadaisical on defense. He's never gotten far in the playoffs, but he has plenty of individual accolades so quit it with the "he's never accomplished anything" garbage. You have no idea how difficult it is to consistently be a high scorer, make even 2nd/3rd All-NBA teams, and he is in addition an underrated defender at times and is a terrific rebounder. LeBron/Durant are in that tier of best SFs but Carmelo is in a 2nd tier by himself for SFs. The 3rd tier being guys like Gay, Granger, etc. But, I would easily say the gap between the 1st and 2nd is smaller than the 2nd and 3rd tiers.

As far as to his RECENT playoffs go...... first off, he had that recent series with the Nuggets making it to the WCF.

Let's address the last playoff run with the Knicks. People bring his year down because of the overall poor performance of the Knicks. I'm not going to say he couldn't have played better, because he definitely could have. But, I'm going to defend him in many regards.

A) Look at their f*cking roster: Smith, Amare, Chandler, Novak, Bibby, etc. Not ONE of these guys can create their own offense. Lin/Davis were good, but they were out for the playoffs. I was always nervous as hell watching Bibby dribble the ball up, thinking a TO was imminent. Carmelo was the sole reason they didn't get bounced in 4. He HAD to ball hog for the Knicks to even do anything on offense. The Heat have demonstrated that they have phenomenal team defense, and that's against teams with multiple players who can create. The Knicks literally only had Carmelo. The rest of the team is spot up shooters/people that need to be set up. JR can sort of set up his shot, but he was atrocious.

B) The whole "they only won with Lin" crap. First off, Lin was gradually being/going to be figured out so it was only a matter of time. Second, look at the offensive system vs. the players. Lin is a classic D'Antoni type of player, pushing it, using pick and rolls, etc. It is only rational that they would enjoy brief success finalizing actually utilizing his system. When you looked at a Melo run D'Antoni system, the clashing of styles was so obvious. Melo worked largely on receiving the ball in the post, posting up or passing it out. Considering the fact that D'Antoni had guys literally standing around waiting to chuck a shot was horrible for spacing, especially for Melo. I truly believe that D'Antoni's incapability to adjust the offense/COACH DEFENSE was the single biggest reason for their ineptitude. As proof, Anthony did much better with Woodson as coach and going away from the Run and Gun system.

Now, I know Carmelo has his large share of faults. I fully acknowledge that. But he's becoming so underrated and disrespected it's becoming a travesty. Seriously, he's without a doubt the 3rd best SF in the league and it's not even close. Also, to the idiots who don't think he should be on the Olympic team. Carmelo played phenomenally at the last Olympics and is a perfect international 4. Quick enough to keep up with stretch 4's and strong enough to bang with most aggressive 4's. Not to mention that his offensive game is perfect for it.

That wasn't that recent.

DaSeba5
07-10-2012, 01:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RXKP2.gif

KyrieTheFuture
07-10-2012, 01:53 AM
WTF? Who loves melo enough to write a god damn dissertation on why he's under appreciated?

G-train
07-10-2012, 01:55 AM
did read, was actually a decent post
repped

MeLO MvP 15
07-10-2012, 01:56 AM
YES

Draz
07-10-2012, 02:11 AM
I don't even thnk the guy with the Carmelo MVP username ever wrote a paragraph or more on Carmelo lol

ClutchOver9000
07-10-2012, 02:11 AM
did read, was actually a decent post
repped

this

bluechox2
07-10-2012, 02:19 AM
I don't even thnk the guy with the Carmelo MVP username ever wrote a paragraph or more on Carmelo lol
:lol good read

EnoughSaid
07-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Only getting out of the first round ONCE over the past 9 years isnt going to do much for you.

DTreats
07-10-2012, 02:28 AM
Only getting out of the first round ONCE over the past 9 years isnt going to do much for you.
I guess he should take the road Chris Bosh took, fail as a #1 option and take the back seat like a little freaking bitch. Melo would rather die a man than live as a bitch.

knickswin
07-10-2012, 02:33 AM
you know i love melo's talent. he is a straight-up baller. possibly more so than any other player in the league. game comes so naturally to him. when he's on he is undeniably a "superstar."

but he's got to step up and prove the haters wrong. he needs to be better about passing out of the post and he needs to hold the ball less. these criticisms have been following him for 10 years, but he hasn't done a whole lot to shut his detractors up.

plus i don't know if the amar'e/carmelo pairing will ever work. amar'e reallllyyyyyy needs to get that jumper up to par. getting comfortable in the low post would be nice, but i doubt that's actually going to happen. he's not going to morph from clueless to hakeem just because he's taking a few lessons.

Punpun
07-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Melo is on the tail-end of his less than brilliant career. THat's just how it is.

kennethgriffin
07-10-2012, 02:39 AM
carmelo doesnt even take himself seriously with a body like his

he has baron davis disease

knickswin
07-10-2012, 02:50 AM
i dunno why you guys have to be haters. he has not been declining. don't know why anyone would say that.

Ai2death
07-10-2012, 03:19 AM
Very good post, a rarity on ISH for quite some time.

ripthekik
07-10-2012, 03:22 AM
He's a very talented scorer and all, but a team with him leading is just not going to succeed. The only way he scores to ball is by being a blackhole. Sometimes, actually a lot of times, the ball is passed to him, then he holds it for 3 seconds.

In this 3 seconds, the defense is prepared for him, and his teammates stand idle watching him. That kills it all.

Unless he becomes a 2nd star of a team and play a spot-up shooter, or scoring role, he's not going to win.

I think teams like Knick are stupid to run their offense through him.

Sarcastic
07-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Melo is on the tail-end of his less than brilliant career. THat's just how it is.

He's only 28 years old. He's got 5-6 good years left. Plus his skill set is not reliant solely on his athleticism.

Punpun
07-10-2012, 09:42 AM
He's only 28 years old. He's got 5-6 good years left. Plus his skill set is not reliant solely on his athleticism.
Yep. The tail-end. It's only downhill from now on.

Umad101
07-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Didn't read but agreed with op's title dude has too many Haters

guy
07-10-2012, 10:11 AM
When people have been complaining about a player being underappreciated and constantly making excuses for the guy, then he's not really underappreciated. He gets "disrespected" in your view cause there are players like Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Wade, CP3, Howard, Wade, Rose, etc. in the league. If the best players in the league aside from him were players you mentioned like Gay and Iguadola, then Melo would be getting treated like he's Lebron or Durant right now i.e. the best player in the league. That's not the case though. The perception is a relative product of higher standards as a result of how much better other players are then him. Thats just the way it is.

swi7ch
07-10-2012, 10:13 AM
The Cancer

Sarcastic
07-10-2012, 10:24 AM
When people have been complaining about a player being underappreciated and constantly making excuses for the guy, then he's not really underappreciated. He gets "disrespected" in your view cause there are players like Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Wade, CP3, Howard, Wade, Rose, etc. in the league. If the best players in the league aside from him were players you mentioned like Gay and Iguadola, then Melo would be getting treated like he's Lebron or Durant right now i.e. the best player in the league. That's not the case though. The perception is a relative product of higher standards as a result of how much better other players are then him. Thats just the way it is.

How many guys can you name that have scored at least 20 ppg every year of their career, and made the playoffs every year of their career as well?

He gets crazy amounts of hate because he played for Denver, which was completely overmatched in the Western Conference the past decade. They needed a secondary star to go with him, but unfortunately had too much success too early. It would have been better for them to suck his first few years, get some lottery picks, and build a team the way the Thunder have done with Westbrook and Harden to go along with Durant. Instead they were in the playoffs by Melo's first year, and always ended up in the middle of the pack, which is the worst place to be in the NBA.

Snoop_Cat
07-10-2012, 10:27 AM

To the trolls posting "too long didn't read", I apologize for writing past your reading comprehension. For most normal people, it takes 5 minutes to write a few paragraphs and even less to read it.

I'm not making excuses for Carmelo. I acknowledge that he isn't as good as LeBron/Durant, that he has his flaws, and that he could've performed better throughout the season and the playoffs.

The concept of "disrespect" comes along when he is grouped along with players who clearly in a different league, gets called a cancer, etc. His achievements and personal skill set are depreciated to the point where people see him as a run of the mill player. The thing that annoys me is that people want to post all the flaws of Carmelo without watching any games and want to blindly equate Carmelo to the likes of Gay and Granger.

Clearly his achievements don't measure up to a guy like LeBron but to discredit everything he's done and to suggest things like he is hurtful to the Knicks.. that is what is disrespectful and asinine. I don't want to repost everything I said in the original text, but Carmelo HAD to be a complete ball hog especially without Lin/Davis, because quite frankly this Knicks roster just isn't very good especially considering Amare has had a down year and can't adapt at all to a different style of play.

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
He's vastly over rated. He's seriously not much better than JR Smith.

bluechox2
07-10-2012, 10:43 AM
i see melo avging 28 a game next season

guy
07-10-2012, 10:53 AM
How many guys can you name that have scored at least 20 ppg every year of their career, and made the playoffs every year of their career as well?

And what relevance does that hold? Cause there's still a good amount of players that don't fall under that category that are still better then him.

He gets crazy amounts of hate because he played for Denver, which was completely overmatched in the Western Conference the past decade. They needed a secondary star to go with him, but unfortunately had too much success too early. It would have been better for them to suck his first few years, get some lottery picks, and build a team the way the Thunder have done with Westbrook and Harden to go along with Durant. Instead they were in the playoffs by Melo's first year, and always ended up in the middle of the pack, which is the worst place to be in the NBA.

So your argument is that Melo's early success in his first 2 seasons cursed him for the next 7 seasons, and he's never been able to recover from that? Really? And does anyone in their right mind seriously think Melo would've meshed just as well with players like Westbrook and Harden as Durant has? Melo on the Thunder is a first round exit, 2nd round exit at best. His teams have never been extremely overmatched. His teams were always talented. He wasn't playing on KG's T-Wolves. Now, you can argue that they were talented but didn't fit, but thats an issue about what a team is building around. When a superstars' teams are always characterized as "the pieces don't fit" and the superstar can't just make it work, then that means the player is just hard to build around i.e. he's not as good for someone of his standards.

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
He's never gotten far in the playoffs, but he has plenty of individual accolades so quit it with the "he's never accomplished anything" garbage.
Like what? :confusedshrug:

Everybody else in the top of his draft class has championships, MVPs, scoring titles, FMVPs, 1st team selections, defensive team selections, All-star MVPs.

Melo doesn't have a single 1 of those accomplishments. The best he has done is a few 3rd teams and one 2nd team. If you wanna call all-star selections an accomplishment, fine, but all that does is show how slim the pickens are to grasp onto.

This guy is supposed to be some kind of elite scorer. Some even call him the best. How come he can't even grab a scoring title? You'd think of all the individual accomplishments, he would at least get 1 of those.

The guy is flat out NOT an elite player and he NEVER has been. He's a good solid player as long as you place him in the proper context. He's a good Josh Smith level player. Maybe even Joe Johnson level, but he just comes up short when you try to put him in the conversation of elite players like LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Durant, Dwight, etc....

Sarcastic
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I am saying the success in the first 2 years cursed the next 5 years in Denver. After that he moved to NY, and they had to give up a ton of pieces to get him. It's only now that the team is putting back together all the pieces to finally compete.

Warners0
07-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Melo don't play D.

Melo don't make his teammates better.

if I'm a hater for thinking this then I guess I'm a hater.

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I'll give Melo this. He's not this useless defender everyone makes him out to be. He's definitely respectable. He IS better defensively than what he gets credit for. It's just that he takes a lot of plays off.

Snoop_Cat
07-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Like what? :confusedshrug:

Everybody else in the top of his draft class has championships, MVPs, scoring titles, FMVPs, 1st team selections, defensive team selections, All-star MVPs.

Melo doesn't have a single 1 of those accomplishments. The best he has done is a few 3rd teams and one 2nd team. If you wanna call all-star selections an accomplishment, fine, but all that does is show how slim the pickens are to grasp onto.

This guy is supposed to be some kind of elite scorer. Some even call him the best. How come he can't even grab a scoring title? You'd think of all the individual accomplishments, he would at least get 1 of those.

The guy is flat out NOT an elite player and he NEVER has been. He's a good solid player as long as you place him in the proper context. He's a good Josh Smith level player. Maybe even Joe Johnson level, but he just comes up short when you try to put him in the conversation of elite players like LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Durant, Dwight, etc....

Top of his draft class? Sure LeBron and Wade have more accolades than Carmelo. Whatever, but had they not collaborated into a mega team, they wouldn't have found the same team success.

It is incredibly difficult it is to make a single All-NBA, or heck, even a single All-Star team. In addition to consistently being in the/close to the top 5 in the league in scoring. Never said he was the best scorer, but he is a damn good one in this league. Carmelo is not empty points, if you want to see empty points a guy like Monta Ellis is Exhibit A. He can hurt the team at times, but just be looking at the NY-Miami playoff series, you can see that he single carried the Knicks team to one win. Put Gay or Granger in his shoes and that is a 20 point blowout every game since not a single player would be able to create.

Once again, I have no problem in saying that guys like LeBron/Durant are better, something I've already acknowledged countless times. Once again, I also have no problem in admitting he has many flaws. I am NOT trying to make the argument that he is as good as LeBron/Durant, as I've said numerous times.

I'm repeating stuff at this point, but my biggest beef with the haters is that people want to downgrade Carmelo to an undeserved level. He isn't in the elite, elite category but he is still head and shoulders above the "third tier" of players. He is in the middling 2nd tier of very good/elite players who aren't good enough to win the title but are good enough to make good runs/win you lots of games.

You can't compare a guy like Joe Johnson to Carmelo Anthony. JJ will not carry the times offensively at clutch moments or for extremely extended periods of time like Anthony can't. JJ doesn't draw the attention, has the entire offense based off of him, nor can he take control offensively when he has to.

Carmelo Anthony is in worse than the elite of the elite LeBron but much better than guys like Johnson. That was the gist of the argument I was trying to make, seeing as how many people want to call him a cancer or whatnot.

ripthekik
07-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Also, another reason he is getting disrespected is, he's not showing any heart. It seems like he doesn't really care for the game, he's just in it for the money.

Just look at the shape he is in. If someone could post his weight year to year, you'll see this guy don't work hard at all. Complete opposite from guys like Kobe, Lebron, Durant, who worked their asses off in the offseason.

Yung D-Will
07-10-2012, 11:43 AM
:coleman:

Overdrive
07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Imo one of the biggest mistakes Anthony made was to demand a trade and subsequently make his future team pay with alot of prospects just for the sake of money.

guy
07-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Top of his draft class? Sure LeBron and Wade have more accolades than Carmelo. Whatever, but had they not collaborated into a mega team, they wouldn't have found the same team success.

It is incredibly difficult it is to make a single All-NBA, or heck, even a single All-Star team. In addition to consistently being in the/close to the top 5 in the league in scoring. Never said he was the best scorer, but he is a damn good one in this league. Carmelo is not empty points, if you want to see empty points a guy like Monta Ellis is Exhibit A. He can hurt the team at times, but just be looking at the NY-Miami playoff series, you can see that he single carried the Knicks team to one win. Put Gay or Granger in his shoes and that is a 20 point blowout every game since not a single player would be able to create.

Once again, I have no problem in saying that guys like LeBron/Durant are better, something I've already acknowledged countless times. Once again, I also have no problem in admitting he has many flaws. I am NOT trying to make the argument that he is as good as LeBron/Durant, as I've said numerous times.

I'm repeating stuff at this point, but my biggest beef with the haters is that people want to downgrade Carmelo to an undeserved level. He isn't in the elite, elite category but he is still head and shoulders above the "third tier" of players. He is in the middling 2nd tier of very good/elite players who aren't good enough to win the title but are good enough to make good runs/win you lots of games.

You can't compare a guy like Joe Johnson to Carmelo Anthony. JJ will not carry the times offensively at clutch moments or for extremely extended periods of time like Anthony can't. JJ doesn't draw the attention, has the entire offense based off of him, nor can he take control offensively when he has to.

Carmelo Anthony is in worse than the elite of the elite LeBron but much better than guys like Johnson. That was the gist of the argument I was trying to make, seeing as how many people want to call him a cancer or whatnot.

Wade was a champion before getting with Lebron, and Lebron's Cavs clearly had more success then any of Melo's teams. He wasn't sniffing their team success regardless.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, there's been alot of hype and overrating of the guy, and one extreme will usually attract the other extreme when he does not live up to the hype. For example, IMO Deron Williams is one of the most overrated players in the league, but at the same time, he's not that hyped and no one has really expected him or his teams to really do much so when that is what exactly happens, no one really gives a sh*t and disrespects him because thats what they expected.

Ikill
07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Wade was a champion before getting with Lebron, and Lebron's Cavs clearly had more success then any of Melo's teams. He wasn't sniffing their team success regardless.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, there's been alot of hype and overrating of the guy, and one extreme will usually attract the other extreme when he does not live up to the hype. For example, IMO Deron Williams is one of the most overrated players in the league, but at the same time, he's not that hyped and no one has really expected him or his teams to really do much so when that is what exactly happens, no one really gives a sh*t and disrespects him because thats what they expected.
your wrong Melo doesnt get that much hype and the last part about Deron Williams makes no sense if he doesn't even get rated high how can he be overrated. It seems to me people don't even know what overrated means

Ikill
07-10-2012, 01:24 PM
On the other hand if your constantly being called overrated like Melo than you can't be overrated. Yet people will still say Melo is overrated even tho everyone thinks that. If everyone thinks he is overrated than who exactly overrates his

mehyaM24
07-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I am saying the success in the first 2 years cursed the next 5 years in Denver.

..ohh yea....isolation bball SUCKS....just ask kevin garnett....bball is a team game.....the only reason isolation LOSERS like kobe win is due to dominant rebounding,and lakers were a top 5 rebounding team all 5 titles yrs for that loser.....CARMELO is a bon-fide isolation loser which is why the knicks thrived without him...

Duncan21formvp
07-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Melo is underrated, but he isn't a #1 guy who can win as the man.

Sarcastic
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM

They used to say the same thing about Paul Pierce and Dirk Nowitzki.

Ikill
07-10-2012, 02:17 PM
it all depends

Blue&Orange
07-10-2012, 02:28 PM
lol probalby a god post but didn't read it. As a Knick fan how are you surprised? Zach was a 20\10 player with the Knicks and joke of the league, Zach was a 20\10 with the Grizs and the best thing since sliced bread. Idiots will tell you that he got better on the "intangibles" and whatnots.

And why do you care? IF you're not Melo or a Melo stan, why care.

Lebron's 45-15-5 against the celtics gets absurdly praised by media, like a once in a lifetime event, ish in response keep digging out this all-time great performances, old all-time great performances... when just one year before, Melo went 42\17\6 on the SAME celtics team. :lol

RRR3
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM
lol probalby a god post but didn't read it. As a Knick fan how are you surprised? Zach was a 20\10 player with the Knicks and joke of the league, Zach was a 20\10 with the Grizs and the best thing since sliced bread. Idiots will tell you that he got better on the "intangibles" and whatnots.

Lebron's 45-15-5 against the celtics gets absurdly praised by media, like a once in a lifetime event, ish in response keep digging out this all-time great performances, old all-time great performances... when just one year before, Melo went 42\17\6 on the SAME celtics team. :lol
Lebron was facing elimination. Plus his team actually won

SilkkTheShocker
07-10-2012, 02:31 PM

Melo didn't nearly have the same kind of pressure Lebron did in game. You also forgot that part where the Knicks lost and got swept that series.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Melo is a good scorer (not great; efficiency is key here) and beast in the clutch, but outside of that? Very one dimensional. His playmaking is below average and the rebounds he does manage to pull down? They have no real impact on the game. After what Miami did to the Knicks, IMHO, Carmelo has got a lot to prove (and this is coming from someone who, going into this past season, had Melo ranked over KD).

Legends66NBA7
07-10-2012, 02:37 PM
The thing I'm going to have to give Anthony a break for in his Knicks tenure is that he has never had a full training camp to work with. Baring no injury and the fact he can lose some weight from this Olympic run... I can see a career year from him in this upcoming season.

He has to be more consistent, rather than his scoring though. Keep being consistent on rebounds, defense, and playmaking. The rest will follow.

RRR3
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Melo is a good scorer (not great; efficiency is key here) and beast in the clutch, but outside of that? Very one dimensional. His playmaking is below average and the rebounds he does manage to pull down? They have no real impact on the game. After what Miami did to the Knicks, IMHO, Carmelo has got a lot to prove (and this is coming from someone who, going into this past season, had Melo ranked over KD).
Lebron tore melo apart for sure. I thought melo would do better tbh.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Lebron tore melo apart for sure. I thought melo would do better tbh.

Yeah, aside from that game 4 performance, he was underwhelming. I think there were 2 games where he shot 20% (this while averaging just 2 assists the entire series). Pretty awful stuff.

RRR3
07-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah, aside from that game 4 performance, he was underwhelming. I think 2 games where he shot 20% (this while averaging just 2 assists in the series). Pretty awful stuff.
He torched battier I'll give him that. Iirc he shot like 20% against lbj.

RaininTwos
07-10-2012, 03:03 PM
:coleman:

Sarcastic
07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Lebron was facing elimination. Plus his team actually won

Carmelo had no help at all in that game. Amare got hurt and only played 17 minutes. His second and third options were Toney Douglas and Jared Jeffries.

KyrieTheFuture
07-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Carmelo had no help at all in that game. Amare got hurt and only played 17 minutes. His second and third options were Toney Douglas and Jared Jeffries.

That's a fine excuse for why he lost but are you really trying to say their games were comparable?

NOHCP3
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I really just think he's a victim of timing. Had he been in another draft he wouldn't get compared to Lebron. It's not really fair to compare the two. Melo is a top 5 scorer hands down. Clutch when given the oppurtunity...

Now at the same time, Knicks fans need to be real about what kind of player Melo is(not saying the OP wasn't) not a good defender. he excels at ball stopping. It was so predictable in the playoffs it was like Groundhog day. IMO he's gotta work on his other facets to his game if he wants to move up.

Ballin416
07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm willing to put my 2 post account on the line when I say that Melo will retire never having made it past the conference finals, no scoring titles or MVPS and never having really accomplished anything. I think you all know this too. poor mans version of Kobe and I'm talking homeless poor.

kNicKz
07-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I guess he should take the road Chris Bosh took, fail as a #1 option and take the back seat like a little freaking bitch. Melo would rather die a man than live as a bitch.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zzKFCMbEb9w/Tv03HlRg8xI/AAAAAAAABK8/EHnKZDDIzdk/s1600/The_Mechanik_Epic_Headshot.jpg

Y2Gezee
07-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Carmelo is an elite player in this league. People who disagree are dumb.

of course people can always bring up first round exits. With out mentioning that it is probably a big plus in his cap, that 4-5 of those teams even made the playoffs, and the one and only time he had a team with favorable matchup in the playoffs, he had a sick playoff run. Anybody who wants to go year by year and discuss these poorly built teams or injuries, id do do gladly. And not to mention he was ALWAYS making the playoffs in a dominant western conference, and even his teams would've been eastern conference finals favorites, while teams are beating the hawks and wizards every year in east.

With poorly built teams, with many injuries, there is only so much you can ask. I mean just look at the last 2 playoff matchups and injuries on his teams, you really blame him for losing?

Carmelo and the knicks focus has to be better seeding, for playoff match ups.

Blue&Orange
07-10-2012, 04:35 PM
So Lebron individual performance was better because he is a ring chaser... he actually had better teammates and won. :lol

Melo 42\17\6
Lebron 45\15\5

Not comparable, Lebron's game clearly better :lol

In other news, Heat never wanted Camby and do not need him :lol

tomtucker
07-10-2012, 04:49 PM
melo is cool...repped

NYK_Stan
07-10-2012, 07:38 PM
So Lebron individual performance was better because he is a ring chaser... he actually had better teammates and won. :lol

Melo 42\17\6
Lebron 45\15\5

Would rep, but I'm a stupid noob and have no idea how to. :confusedshrug:

che guevara
07-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Melo 42\17\6
Lebron 45\15\5

You forgot a very key part of their statlines.

Lebron - 45/15/5, 19-26 FG (73.1 FG%)
Carmelo - 47/17/6, 14-30 FG (46.7 FG%, lol)

As usual, Melo wasn't that efficient and had to put up a ton of shots for his points. Lebron's incredible efficiency was equally as impressive (or maybe more) as his point totals. Lebron's game was easily superior once you consider efficiency and context (down 3-2 on the road, biggest game of Lebron's career).

Blue&Orange
07-10-2012, 09:25 PM
As usual, Melo wasn't that efficient and had to put up a ton of shots for his points.
Melo took 4 shots more than Lebron...

He was the only scoring threat, he was playing with Toney Douglas, Jeffries, Bill Walker, Fields, Turiaf, i can't think of a worst supporting cast. Was Lebron the only scoring threat? Or Boston had to worried about other players?

Do you have anything to say about the more playing time, less rebounds and less assists of Lebron?

RRR3
07-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Melo took 4 shots more than Lebron...

He was the only scoring threat, he was playing with Toney Douglas, Jeffries, Bill Walker, Fields, Turiaf, i can't think of a worst supporting cast. Was Lebron the only scoring threat? Or Boston had to worried about other players?

Do you have anything to say about the more playing time, less rebounds and less assists of Lebron?
LeBron shits all over your boy. Deal with it.

RicksPlace
07-10-2012, 09:58 PM
The thing about Melo is until he wins a championship or dominates the league singlehandly and wins the MVP, nobody will give a damn. He has no awards. He has good footwork, good jumper and is very hard to stop when he is in a roll, but nothing impress me about him in the postseason. Ill give him credit for coming back strong this year after being hurt. He has to mature as a leader and do more than just score the basket. Honestly, I think he was in a good track in Denver. He is still young and has still a lot to improve and he doesnt depends that much on athletisism and that will help him when he is older.

KyrieTheFuture
07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Melo is a great player but tearing down LeBron to make Melo look better is not the way to go about promoting his game (looking at you Blue&Orange)

RazorBaLade
07-10-2012, 10:13 PM
You forgot a very key part of their statlines.

Lebron - 45/15/5, 19-26 FG (73.1 FG%)
Carmelo - 47/17/6, 14-30 FG (46.7 FG%, lol)

As usual, Melo wasn't that efficient and had to put up a ton of shots for his points. Lebron's incredible efficiency was equally as impressive (or maybe more) as his point totals. Lebron's game was easily superior once you consider efficiency and context (down 3-2 on the road, biggest game of Lebron's career).

he took 4 more shots.... how is that a ton? melo had more pts more ast more reb on 4 more shots. not bad

context point i agree on..