PDA

View Full Version : who has best chance of beating MJ's 6 finals MVP record/

Derivative
07-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Right now the best others have done is 3 finals MVP (Magic, Duncan, Shaq). Who has the best chance to win more than 6?

I think lebron has chance to win 3-4, but not 6.

roffie
07-10-2012, 04:51 AM
lebron

Asukal
07-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Already beaten even before he won them. Ask Bill Russell. :pimp:

swag2011
07-10-2012, 05:39 AM
I don't think anyone can get it. What made MJ's so special was the fact that he won 3 straight years in a row, TWICE. It's so ****ing hard to do that, it's hard to even repeat. Only teams that have done that were the 3 peat lakers, and the lakers in 09/10. No other team has repeated since.

I think Kobe can join that group that has 3 FMVPs, but i can't see anyone getting 6 FMVPs. I can see Lebron getting maybe 4FMVPs tho, but that would probably be the closest anyone could get to 6

ukballer
07-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Someone currently not in the league. Perhaps not even born yet.

Rysio
07-10-2012, 05:44 AM
if there's 7 shortened seasons in a row lebron probably has a chance.

Redoks
07-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Kevin Durant. I mean, his shooting ability will only get better and it's something that doesn't require much athleticism so he can keep an elite level till 35 or so...

Rnbizzle
07-10-2012, 06:36 AM
I'd say;

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Rose

coin24
07-10-2012, 06:41 AM
I'd say;

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Rose

:roll: :roll: :roll:

The Bulls are not even making the finals in the next decade!!

Rnbizzle
07-10-2012, 06:44 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

The Bulls are not even making the finals in the next decade!!
Give me a better 3. possibility. I know it's unlikely, but after Durant and Lebron he's next in line.

Westbrook - Has Durant on his team
Blake - CP3 on his
Kobe - Too old
Kyrie - On the Cavs? :roll:

coin24
07-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Realistically no one has a shot in hell..
Thats why hes the GOAT:bowdown:

But I agree with Durant and LeBron possibly getting a few..

If the Nets land Howard and they click, either him or DWill might get a few.
I dont think the Clippers are coming out of the West, and yeah Kyrie is great and all but the Cavs?:lol Not going to happen..

Sucks that Rose went down, else I might have agreed, but even worse I dont think the GM/owner would be willing to spend the $$ and fill out the roster anyway...

Rnbizzle
07-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Realistically no one has a shot in hell..
Thats why hes the GOAT:bowdown:

But I agree with Durant and LeBron possibly getting a few..

If the Nets land Howard and they click, either him or DWill might get a few.
I dont think the Clippers are coming out of the West, and yeah Kyrie is great and all but the Cavs?:lol Not going to happen..

Sucks that Rose went down, else I might have agreed, but even worse I dont think the GM/owner would be willing to spend the $$ and fill out the roster anyway...
All I was saying, if I had to make a top 3, that's what it would look like. I'm not saying Rose or anyone is getting 6+ FMVPs.

coin24
07-10-2012, 07:17 AM
All I was saying, if I had to make a top 3, that's what it would look like. I'm not saying Rose or anyone is getting 6+ FMVPs.

:cheers:

Its crazy when you actually stop and look at it, people try and downplay MJ's achievements but damn, its going to take an amazing player in the right scenario to even come halfway close to him...

Just the 6 FMVP's alone is:eek:

francesco totti
07-10-2012, 07:21 AM
me.I am going to the NBA soon.

Duncan21formvp
07-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Not really. Everything balances out. In Russell's time for 8 of his titles he only had to win 2 series. In every of MJ's he had to win 4 series. Big difference in getting rings.

miller-time
07-10-2012, 09:13 AM
lebron. as long as his team stays strong for the next decade he should grab a few more. will he nab 6? probably not. but he is probably has the best chance to do it.

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 11:11 AM
You're aware that "Finals MVP" didn't even exist for most of Bill's career, right?

Bill Russell has exactly 0 FMVPs.

pauk
07-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Lebron ofcourse...

BuffaloBill
07-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Kevin Durant. 23, and he already made it to the finals. Easy choice.

guy
07-10-2012, 11:33 AM
If Lebron and Durant's windows are to age 35, that would mean Lebron would need 6 in the next 8 seasons, while Durant would need 7 in the next 12 seasons. I'd go with Durant.

BuffaloBill
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
If Lebron and Durant's windows are to age 35, that would mean Lebron would need 6 in the next 8 seasons, while Durant would need 7 in the next 12 seasons. I'd go with Durant.

Plus Wade is on a serious decline. Heat will need another allstar if they want to compete.

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I'd say;

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Rose
:roll:

I'd say the over/under on FVMPs for Rose is 1........

And I'll take the under.

Rnbizzle
07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
:roll:

I'd say the over/under on FVMPs for Rose is 1........

And I'll take the under.
This ******* can't read :facepalm

EnoughSaid
07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Kyrie if he gets a proper supporting cast within the next 3-4 years.

ihoopallday
07-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Durant has the best chance, if he avoids injury. That team is young.

Kurosawa0
07-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Kyrie Irving isn't winning 6 Finals MVPs. :oldlol:

Rysio
07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
neither is lebrick.

comerb
07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Durant has the best chance. But I don't see it happening .

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Depends. How long til he leaves Cleveland?

comerb
07-10-2012, 12:24 PM

Is he leaving Cleveland?

ShaqAttack3234
07-10-2012, 12:26 PM
It's probably an unbreakable record. Russell probably would have done it had the award existed, though.

I don't see Lebron doing it, he finally got 1 in his 9th season. But he'd be 32 at the youngest in at least his 14th season, and that's only if he won 5 more in a row for 6 in a row total.

Very unlikely because I don't see him having the best longevity given his playing style, size and because he's already lost some athletic ability. Plus, Wade would be 35 by that time.

Asukal
07-10-2012, 12:37 PM
You're aware that "Finals MVP" didn't even exist for most of Bill's career, right?

Bill Russell has exactly 0 FMVPs.

Are you aware the award is named after Russell not Jordan? :rolleyes:

It might not have existed at his day but there's no question Russell was the man during his 11 runs. I believe it is safe to say Russell owns at least 7 FMVPs out of his 11, no? :confusedshrug:

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Are you aware the award is named after Russell not Jordan? :rolleyes:

It might not have existed at his day but there's no question Russell was the man during his 11 runs. I believe it is safe to say Russell owns at least 7 FMVPs out of his 11, no? :confusedshrug:
No. That's like arguing that Wilt is the all time block leader. They didn't track them back then, so he isn't.

Finals MVPs are seriously not even that important anyway.

DurantFor40
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Durant has the best chance....

but in reality, nobody has a chance..

Raz
07-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Exactly. Bill Russell was so good they named the award after him.

NumberSix
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I guess that means Larry O'Brien is the greatest champion of all time.

cavsfanatic
07-10-2012, 12:51 PM
nobody

Kurosawa0
07-10-2012, 01:39 PM

They should've named the Defensive Player of the Year award after Russell and the Finals MVP after Jordan. That would've been more fitting.

ihoopallday
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM
It's probably an unbreakable record. Russell probably would have done it had the award existed, though.

I don't see Lebron doing it, he finally got 1 in his 9th season. But he'd be 32 at the youngest in at least his 14th season, and that's only if he won 5 more in a row for 6 in a row total.

Very unlikely because I don't see him having the best longevity given his playing style, size and because he's already lost some athletic ability. Plus, Wade would be 35 by that time.

This. Really makes you appreciate what Jordan did.

hkfosho
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Lol @ Bill Russell. He played when the league had like 10 teams. No one surpasses MJ.

next

d.bball.guy
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
LeBron can but the chance is small. He'll have to win 6 FMVPs for the next 8-10 or whatever years. KD does have a chance at 23. He already carried his team to the Finals and will have many more chances.

Legends66NBA7
07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Bill Russell technically does have the record. If we go by this thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157369

He's confirmed to have at least 9 Finals MVP's, so that's your record. He could have been argued for more maybe 10th, but that's about it.

You see, this can actually be proven.

Asukal
07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
No. That's like arguing that Wilt is the all time block leader. They didn't track them back then, so he isn't.

Finals MVPs are seriously not even that important anyway.

Unlike blocks, FMVP can actually be tracked much more easily during that era. I didn't watch Russell play but people from that era who followed basketball would say he is the FMVP of his rings. :confusedshrug:

Derivative
07-10-2012, 09:20 PM
yea and if MJ played in the 60s bill russell wouldn't win a single ring

raprap
07-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Probably not born yet.

Durant maybe. I highly doubt though.

dyna
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Durant

The Iron Fist
07-10-2012, 09:46 PM
:applause:

jlauber
07-11-2012, 12:31 AM
I have mentioned this before, but just because they didn't have a FMVP before 1969, doesn't mean that there wasn't one. Then the only question would be to determine who those players were. Gifted Mind pretty much summed them up, and true basketball historians would agree with 95% of his list.

And those that rip Russell's "FMVP's" because of the number of teams need to realize that half of the league's at the time had relatively loaded rosters. I have used this exactly many times, but take a look at the '67 Lakers.

Let's start with the front court, shall we? Tom Hawkins was a quality bench player who provided solid defense throughout his career. And in the '67 season he averaged a solid 8 ppg on .481 shooting as a spark off the bench. The Laker's PF that season was Rudy LaRusso, who averaged 13 ppg that season, and would average 21 ppg the very next season. Their starting SF, was Elgin Baylor, on a slight decline in his career, but still a potent 27 ppg scorer and 13 rpg rounder.

The Lakers had depth at the center slot, too. Their starting center was 6-10 Darrall Imhoff, who averaged 11 ppg and 13 rpg in '67. His backup was 7-0 Henry Finkel. The other Laker frontcourt player was 7-0 Mel Counts, who was a quality outside shooter, and could play both the center and PF positions.

That Laker roster boasted two exceptional backup guards. One, Archie Clark, would be a 20 ppg all-star the very next season. As it was, he averaged 11 ppg in '67. The other backup guard was Walt Hazzard (Mahdi Abdul Rahman), who averaged close to 10 ppg in '67, and who would average 24.0 ppg the very next season.

The Lakers' starting guards? HOFer Gail Goodrich, in his 2nd season, and in a year in which he would average 12 ppg on a decent .454 shooting. The other guard? None other than Jerry West, and very near his absolute prime, and in a season in which he averaged 29 ppg.

Look at all of that talent. West and Baylor, near their primes, and averaging 29 and 27 ppg respectively. Goodrich, Clark, LaRusso, and Hazzard...all 20+ ppg scorers at times in their careers (and three of them the very next year.) A solid journeyman center, and two full seven-footers.

How did that Laker team finish that season?

36-45.

BTW, while Russell won 11 rings in 13 seasons, his Celtics almost always had a seven game series each season he was there. In his 13 seasons, he went 10-0 in the seventh games, and seven of those were decided by four points, or less (several in OT, too.)

In any case, to not acknowledge what he most certainly accomplished is flat wrong. If we do not acknowledge what the players of the past achieved, then why even keep records at all? Durant is the greatest scorer of all-time; Lebron is the greatest player of all-time; and the Heat are the greatest team of all-time. Until next season, when we start with a clean slate, and forget about the past season.

MJ who?

EnoughSaid
07-11-2012, 12:39 AM
It's easily LeBron though. This season was the first time he actually tried to develop a post game, and look how it worked out for him. If he continues to develop that post presence and his jump shot, he has the greatest chance in history to do what MJ did.

guy
07-11-2012, 11:58 AM

If the NBA lasts at least another 30 years or so, I'm sure it will be done. Its not "unbreakable".