PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan signs 3 year contract w/ spurs

chris2010
07-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Duncan, 36, declared himself "a Spur for life" during the Western Conference finals, and showed little interest in testing the free-agent market.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--tim-duncan-to-sign-three-year-contract-with-spurs.html

No surprise here.

It's A VC3!!!
07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Wow, Spurs and Celtics are telling everyone that they are not done yet!:rockon:

ripthekik
07-10-2012, 12:04 PM
All class. Something a lot of players in this league could learn from.

Punpun
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Duncan&Popovich. Greatest bromance ever.

BuffaloBill
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Loyalty.

I<3NBA
07-10-2012, 12:08 PM
what are you gonna do with class if you can't win a championship? good for Duncan he's in a good organization. you think TD won't scram if he was in some shitty franchise like the Knicks, Clippers, or Bobcats? Kobe and TD had the good fortune to be drafted by a good franchise. Lebron and Dwight on the other hand were drafted by franchises that wasted their primes.

SilkkTheShocker
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Spurs need to re-build. They aren't title contenders anymore. They are going to win 57+ regular season games and than lose to LA, Thunder, etc in te playoffs.

BuffaloBill
07-10-2012, 12:10 PM
what are you gonna do with class if you can't win a championship? good for Duncan he's in a good organization. you think TD won't scram if he was in some shitty franchise like the Knicks, Clippers, or Bobcats? Kobe and TD had the good fortune to be drafted by a good franchise. Lebron and Dwight on the other hand were drafted by franchises that wasted their primes.

No. If he was on those teams, they wouldn't be shitty franchises. Also, the bobcats weren't even around when he was drafted.

ripthekik
07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Here comes the heat fans :oldlol:

What, so duncan is a fool for being loyal. He should have signed with the Heat in order to take a ring? :roll:
This is like that other lebron fantard saying Camby is stupid for signing with Knicks, he should sign with Heat for cheap instead:oldlol:

PickernRoller
07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Nice for Timmy....excellent career.

2LeTTeRS
07-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I bet you he didn't sign for a penny less than KG re-signed for.

NugzFan
07-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Loyalty.

until i see the terms, this isnt loyalty. where else was he gonna go?

now if he signs for 3 years/10 mill total - thats freaking loyal.

Raz
07-10-2012, 12:31 PM
No. If he was on those teams, they wouldn't be shitty franchises. Also, the bobcats weren't even around when he was drafted.

You're over-estimating the Clippers and Donald Sterling

Punpun
07-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Pretty much every teams with space would dish out huge amount of money to get him.

Freedom Kid7
07-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Not surprising really. Duncan's always had class and has always been there, and I'll imagine him to continue doing so. I wonder if it's for a lot or for a little though. If it's not much, that leaves a lot of doors open for the Spurs.

TMT
07-10-2012, 12:37 PM
My all-time favorite player getting paid for this accomplishments. I'm glad we will get to see him for three more years. I'm sure a handful of people here will say 34 million is over the top, but the Spurs are one of those organizations who treats their players right. Especially when it comes to a once in an era guy like Tim Duncan.

Patty Mills and Nando De Colo have also been re-signed and signed respectively.

NugzFan
07-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Pretty much every teams with space would dish out huge amount of money to get him.

which teams would this be?

Haymaker
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Can't believe they made almost zero effort to recruit any decent free agent in the market. Oh well, it's our last hurrah. Go Spurs!

Punpun
07-10-2012, 01:07 PM
which teams would this be?

Every team willing to dish out 10+M for a C. Which is 90% of the league.

TMT
07-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Can't believe they made almost zero effort to recruit any decent free agent in the market. Oh well, it's our last hurrah. Go Spurs!

We still have the potential to make some traded in order to upgrade the roster. Blair seems positive he won't be returning next year, Neal looks out of place with the logjam at guard on the roster, Bonner seems like a good candidate for use of the amnesty clause which could clear up some cap space. There are still many moves to be made, the offseason is young.

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-10-2012, 01:21 PM
We still have the potential to make some traded in order to upgrade the roster. Blair seems positive he won't be returning next year, Neal looks out of place with the logjam at guard on the roster, Bonner seems like a good candidate for use of the amnesty clause which could clear up some cap space. There are still many moves to be made, the offseason is young.
off-season don't start til howard gets traded lol.

D-Rose
07-10-2012, 01:26 PM
So, KG and Timmy get the same deal?

Interesting to see some of the older HOFers getting 3 year deals this summer: KG, Kidd, Nash, Duncan.

senelcoolidge
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Year 3 of that contract they will have to cart him to the games. Am sure he will still be able to flop and complain to refs. Future HoF'er.

IGotACoolStory
07-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Love the guy, but he won't last 3 years.

I have my doubts on what he will look next year. These big guys have a tendency to drop dead suddenly over a summer. Look at Shaq in Phoenix (was still decent) and then as a Cav. He went from Superstar to Roleplayer to a bench player starting in 3 seasons.

TMT
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Out of any of the HOF big men from this most recent era, Duncan is probably the one who relies on athleticism the least. The guy doesn't have any jump anymore, but still put up 15/9 last year on a good percentage. There's a reason they call him The Big Fundamental. He's not Shaq, he's not KG, he's Tim Duncan and the basics of his game alone are what make him have a great impact as a player. Other than his deteriorating vertical, he is also still a solid defender and shotblocker.

IGotACoolStory
07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Fine then, look at Hakeem Olajuwon. While he relied on his athleticism (as does every NBA player in the history of the game to some extent), his fundamentals and skill level were so sound that he would last until his bones broke, right?

He had a similar decline like most bigs as well.

Even Kareem had that sudden drop, although that guy played into this 40's...

They just hit a wall. Duncan is already in his Shaq Phoenix days, imo. Sooner or later father time will catch up and Duncan looks like he's pushing the limit already.

jbryan1984
07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
So assuming Duncan and Pop remain Spurs until the 2014-15 season, would this be the first time in history a star had the same coach his entire career? I'm trying to think..... Malone had Layden before Sloan. Russell played and coached his last few years. Can't really think of any other close calls.

TMT
07-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Clearly Duncan isn't looking to play at a high level for 3 more seasons. Much like KG won't, Kidd won't, Camby won't. What I'm saying is because of his particular style of play I don't see him going from a 15/9 player to suddenly an irrelevant 8/5 player. Shaq had a big drop off but he wasn't exactly playing a large amount of games (due to injury) in his last year in Miami or his couple of years in Phoenix and beyond.

2006-7 Miami: 33 games + 4 playoff games
2007–8 Phoenix: 28 games + 5 playoff games
2008–9 Phoenix: 75 games/ no playoffs
2009-10 Cleveland: 53 games + 11 playoff games
2010–11 Boston: 37 games + 2 playoff games

Out of all the games listed, he only failed to start in 3 of them.

For the most part it was injuries that kept this guy from appearing so it's not exactly a solid comparison to what is to come for Duncan unless he starts having major health problems. But if you look at his GP the last 5 seasons (not including playoffs)

06-7: 80 games
07-8: 78 games
08-9: 75 games
09-10: 78 games
10-11: 76 games
11-12: 58 games (lockout season)

The man has been relatively healthy, and hasn't missed a big chunk of games since the 04-05 campaign. Not to mentions games he has missed in the past couple of years has been due to Pop vowing to rest him.

Yung D-Will
07-10-2012, 03:03 PM
People don't listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsal_3b-dG8
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8IqjzjRKgwA/Tc2qU9u9riI/AAAAAAAAACQ/Ljco1t9cWgc/s1600/Cover7.JPG

SCdac
07-10-2012, 03:37 PM
:cheers:

Meticode
07-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Nothing can do about that. You make the choices you make to try to win, Cleveland tried to do that. It didn't work. It wasn't like Jordan was drafted into a great franchise either at the time to be honest.

ihoopallday
07-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Good for Duncan. :applause: Never really met anyone who didn't like the guy.

fpliii
07-10-2012, 05:01 PM
hm, he's at .507 FG%, 20.3ppg, 11.3rpg, 2.2bpg for his career now

finishing above 10rpg seems safe at this point, but I think there's a good chance he falls below .500, 20 and 2 at this point

doesn't mean all that much I suppose, just an observation

Horde of Temujin
07-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Tim Duncan is exactly what is wrong with the NBA, choosing $ and loyalty over joining a team like the Heat and winning a championship.

SsKSpurs21
07-10-2012, 08:13 PM
He waited until Danny green and Boris Diaw were signed and also structured the deal so spurs had enough cap to sign French guard nando de colo.

Timmy is the man!!

JustinJDW
07-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Till the Wheels Fall Off Mother****ers! :rockon: :rockon:

NugzFan
07-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Every team willing to dish out 10+M for a C. Which is 90% of the league.

no i meant which team had the money available.

Eat Like A Bosh
07-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Not surprising, I knew he'd be a Spur for life.

lilgodfather1
07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
The one true NBA star with class. Congrats immy you deserve to be overpaid while you sit in a rocker the last year of your career.

raptorfan_dr07
07-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Till the Wheels Fall Off Mother****ers! :rockon: :rockon:

:cheers: :applause: :applause:

I hope the Spurs can pull off one final miracle this year. OKC is the clear cut favorite out West no matter what happens. But I hope SA has something to say about that. I'd love to see Duncan get another ring. He, along with Dirk and KG are the only remaining TRUE superstars. I'm hoping Durant and Rose can follow in their footsteps and bring back integrity, honor, and loyalty to the NBA. This league is going to sh*t and it's up to the small guys to right the wrongs :rockon:

Legends66NBA7
07-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Duncan, 36, declared himself "a Spur for life" during the Western Conference finals, and showed little interest in testing the free-agent market.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--tim-duncan-to-sign-three-year-contract-with-spurs.html

No surprise here.

Surprised this thread isn't getting enough hits... but then again, it's about Duncan.

He's one of the last of dying breed of players. Great player, doesn't talk but let's his game do the talking instead. Great role model for Spurs organization and the NBA.

I'm gonna miss him when he finally decides to hang it up for good.

SacJB Shady
07-11-2012, 04:35 AM
this is the perfect example of what i meant when i said players are playing a lot longer these days. Most players can play till they are 40 plus years old nowadays. Of course guys like Baron Davis can't, but guys that keep themselves healthy and don't really fully on abusing their body can.

SacJB Shady
07-11-2012, 04:38 AM
:cheers: :applause: :applause:

I hope the Spurs can pull off one final miracle this year. OKC is the clear cut favorite out West no matter what happens. But I hope SA has something to say about that. I'd love to see Duncan get another ring. He, along with Dirk and KG are the only remaining TRUE superstars. I'm hoping Durant and Rose can follow in their footsteps and bring back integrity, honor, and loyalty to the NBA. This league is going to sh*t and it's up to the small guys to right the wrongs :rockon:

Spurs seriously need a quality big man playing alongside Duncan to compliment him

Harison
07-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Any info about his contract yet?

I'm glad Timmy will be playing, just surprised its for 3 years. Maybe he'll find a fountain of youth :cheers:

wagexslave
07-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Old or not, they better pay this man good. He deserves it with that kind of loyalty to the franchise/fans.

franchise#3
07-11-2012, 09:41 AM
The question here should be "Will Duncan get a statue in front of Madison Square Garden for all the championships he won?"

kmartshopper
07-11-2012, 09:48 AM
hairline still going strong

DTreats
07-11-2012, 10:06 AM
3/45 in a new type of retroactive deal that will not count against the cap is what they're saying on twitter. I didn't even know this was possible, I guess we're still learning about the new CBA

triangleoffense
07-11-2012, 10:27 AM

That's just being stupid, especially if there are teams who are willing to triple that offer and more. Loyalty is a two way street.

How about the spurs organization pay Duncan back for his loyalty by giving him 60 mil/3 years?

TMT
07-11-2012, 11:48 AM
The question here should be "Will Duncan get a statue in front of Madison Square Garden for all the championships he won?"

:biggums: