PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin, Clippers agree on 5 year $95 million deal

Bano114
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS
Blake Griffin and the Clippers have formally agreed on his five-year, approximately $95 million deal, league sources say.
Collapse
Reply Retweet Favorite

DTreats
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
That's a whole lotta dunks

Bigsmoke
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
thats a lot of money.

thats like a few million dollars per dunk

It's A VC3!!!
07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
It was expected and good job by the Clippers. The Clippers are taking over LA!

EnoughSaid
07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
19 mil per year? :eek:

LamarOdom
07-10-2012, 01:35 PM
19 mil per year? :eek:

Average, so last year probably around 21-22.

Raz
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Average, so last year probably around 21-22.
http://www.moviefancentral.com/images/pictures/review71465/overpaid.png

EnoughSaid
07-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, he is arguably the most talented player after LeBron and Westbrook, so we'll see where this goes.

Punpun
07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Griffin on pace to have a 150+M career.

:yaohappy:

Bigsmoke
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
http://www.moviefancentral.com/images/pictures/review71465/overpaid.png

he is young.

He's playing for team USA which is normally good for younger players like himself.

edrick
His contract clearly has more to do with how many people go to watch him dunk than his actual talent.

It's A VC3!!!
People have to figure that for the next decade or so ( minus a year or two) he seems like a pretty good choice to represent the clippers at every ASG, maybe another dunk contest or so, and the olympics now and in 2016. not to mention that he is a very great player that sterling would be a fool to lose.

brandonislegend
07-10-2012, 01:49 PM
This dude is the most overrated player in the league bar none, all he can do is dunk and rebound decently. He has no jump shot to speak of, a LIABILITY at the free throw line, has terrible man to man defense and no help defense once oh ever. He averages less blocks than Dwayne Wade for christ sake. He got benched in the playoffs for kenyon martin. He has no post moves to speak of and when he attempts to even do one his footwork is terrible. He jumps off the wrong foot repeatably or does some weird ass twirl while he is falling down. 5 years/95 million for a flopping dunker, but its the Clippers who would expect anything less.

ripthekik
07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
It's really ridiculous how much NBA players make.. $95 million.. He's set for the next 500 years of life, even taking into account inflation.

Yes, I'm jelly :( Give me 5 mill and I should be set.

Crown&Coke
07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
he's worth it

and at least the clips will not have to worry about their franchise guy for the next 6 years. Now if they can lock up CP3 with a 100+Mil deal next offseason they have their 2 core pcs locked in, albeit at a huge cost.

Derrick
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
It's really ridiculous how much NBA players make.. $95 million.. He's set for the next 500 years of life, even taking into account inflation.

Give me 500k and I can make a decent life...

ShawnieMac06
07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
This guy puts asses in seats, and that alone is worth the money he's getting paid. He'll be the highest paid player in Clipper franchise history, at least until next year when Paul gets his extension.

It's A VC3!!!
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Well how many Blake Griffin's do you know?

0. There is no other human being in the world that can do what he does specifically.

We are not paying someone at McDonald's 80k a year to flip burgers. Only a small amount of human beings can play in the NBA. And even a smaller amount can play like Blake Griffin. The pay is fair.

Dictator
07-10-2012, 01:57 PM
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Blake-Griffin.gif

brandonislegend
07-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Well how many Blake Griffin's do you know?

0. There is no other human being in the world that can do what he does specifically.

We are not paying someone at McDonald's 80k a year to flip burgers. Only a small amount of human beings can play in the NBA. And even a smaller amount can play like Blake Griffin. The pay is fair.

Blake Griffin is Dwight Howard with no defense at all.

It's A VC3!!!
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Blake Griffin is Dwight Howard with no defense at all.

So I'll agree with you for this. Out of nearly 7 billion people in the world there are only two Blake Griffin's. His pay is justified then.:lol

LamarOdom
07-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Well, he is arguably the most talented player after LeBron and Westbrook, so we'll see where this goes.

Talent doesn't mean athleticism.

Raz
07-10-2012, 02:03 PM
he is young.

He's playing for team USA which is normally good for younger players like himself.

They'll make it back in revenue, but once he hurts himself again, he'll be a rotation player at best. Easily one of the stupidest players to play the game, getting by on athleticism and natural talent, he hasn't improved since his final year in college.

Haymaker
07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Exciting player for sure, but not all time great material. His value is about pure revenue/marketability.

LA_Showtime
07-10-2012, 02:06 PM
On one hand I wanna praise the Clippers for resigning Blake Griffin... on the other hand I wanna laugh at the Clippers for potentially overpaying the guy if he never improves.

Ikill
07-10-2012, 02:06 PM
This dude is the most overrated player in the league bar none, all he can do is dunk and rebound decently. He has no jump shot to speak of, a LIABILITY at the free throw line, has terrible man to man defense and no help defense once oh ever. He averages less blocks than Dwayne Wade for christ sake. He got benched in the playoffs for kenyon martin. He has no post moves to speak of and when he attempts to even do one his footwork is terrible. He jumps off the wrong foot repeatably or does some weird ass twirl while he is falling down. 5 years/95 million for a flopping dunker, but its the Clippers who would expect anything less.
why dont you try to prove all those things you said are right

DuMa
07-10-2012, 02:08 PM
at least he isnt amare, YET

Ikill
07-10-2012, 02:11 PM
think Amare with rebounding passing good handles a post game and solid defense how is that not a top 5 player in the game

Ikill
07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
On one hand I wanna praise the Clippers for resigning Blake Griffin... on the other hand I wanna laugh at the Clippers for potentially overpaying the guy if he never improves.
he's 23 in 3rd year your telling me hes not going to improve

Cherry Picker
07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I will feed my children steroids everyday and will train them like a prime Jake Shuttlesowrth

ihoopallday
07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Give me 500k and I can make a decent life...

:cheers: Lol some of these guys make more money in one game than most people do in a year. Kobe makes $259,298.76 per game. :lol

Derrick
07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
:cheers: Lol some of these guys make more money in one game than most people do in a year. Kobe makes $259,298.76 per game. :lol
thats 5 years of salary for someone making 50k a year made in a game. I guess all those hours in the gym pay off :hammerhead:

LamarOdom
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

$339 621/game

Fiasco
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM
:bowdown:

brandonislegend
07-10-2012, 02:21 PM
think Amare with rebounding passing good handles a post game and solid defense how is that not a top 5 player in the game
Solid defense?:biggums: a post game? :biggums:

ihoopallday
07-10-2012, 02:22 PM
$339 621/game

Yeah you're right. His salary 27,849,000/82 is 339 621. Lol guess I should've done the math myself instead of looking it up. Wow, must be nice.

TexasBloodMoney
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Any player getting paid more than Lebron (or KD) is overpaid.

Fiasco
07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Solid defense?:biggums: a post game? :biggums:

Griffin doesn't have a post game? Were you given soy milk as a child?

Oh and s/o to the morons who said Sterling would never pay him.

Derrick
07-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Who the hell said that? Why wouldn't they pay him.

Fiasco
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Who the hell said that? Why wouldn't they pay him.

A lot of brilliant posters were going on about how cheap Sterling was and how he would never pay Griffin the money he deserved for an extension.

ripthekik
07-10-2012, 02:27 PM
$339 621/game
Cha-ching!
I would be damn hell motivated to play each game.

This makes me wonder, how do rookies deal with it? I know they don't make as much.. but it's still NBA money. I would love to see documentaries on how NBA rookies deal with their suddenly incredible bank account. It also must be daunting to walk into a locker room, knowing they're all multi-millionaires, and you're just a chump :oldlol:

senelcoolidge
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM
:facepalm people that still think he only dunks.

He's a good player and could become a great player. The Clippers are basically blessed to have gotten this guy in that 2009 draft. These type of players don't come around often.

LA_Showtime
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM
A lot of brilliant posters were going on about how cheap Sterling was and how he would never pay Griffin the money he deserved for an extension.

I seriously doubt that. Sterling could be in his prime cheap-ass years and he'd still be smart enough to pay Griffin. Even if he doesn't develop and ends up overpaid like Amare he still brings in a ton of revenue for the Clips.

LAClipsFan33
07-10-2012, 02:34 PM
:cheers:

liquidrage
07-10-2012, 02:35 PM
LOL at the Clippers for this. He's paid like KD plays like Shawn Kemp.

LAClipsFan33
:facepalm people that still think he only dunks.

He's a good player and could become a great player. The Clippers are basically blessed to have gotten this guy in that 2009 draft. These type of players don't come around often.

This. I just wish he would stop flopping and learn man on defense...that's my only gripe

brandonislegend

Not sure if serious, his footwork is on par with lebrons in the post. Only time he scores out of the post is off dribble or off lobs

RRR3
07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Not sure if serious, his footwork is on par with lebrons in the post. Only time he scores out of the post is off dribble or off lobs
Lebron actually has a post game though.

senelcoolidge
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
LOL at the Clippers for this. He's paid like KD plays like Shawn Kemp.

Shawn Kemp:facepalm . Wow, you have some really ignorant folk in this place. Griffin has been much better than Kemp since his rookie year. But whatever people can think what they want to think. Shut off reality.

LAClipsFan33
07-10-2012, 02:42 PM

He has an elite spin in the post. If you ever watched Blake play you'd know this. He has one of the best spins to the basket in the post in the entire league.

Post spin...Charles Barkley's favorite move. The move that he used to feast on the NBA with...

Barkely : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9yvkw9WZF8

Blake : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaC8WvWAHec

Face up...show post...spin...money. Defense doesn't even see it it's so quick

senelcoolidge
07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
This. I just wish he would stop flopping and learn man on defense...that's my only gripe

Do you watch the NBA? Everyone flops. There are lot of guys that flop more than him. Look at Lebron, Duncan, Wade, Pau Gasol..etc. It's just become a part of today's NBA unfortunately. Blame the Europeans if you want. The NBA has allowed this to go on and players have taken advantage of it. He's not a strong defender, but that comes in time. A lot of guys don't come into the league knowing defense. He's improving.

brandonislegend
07-10-2012, 02:45 PM
He has an elite spin in the post. If you ever watched Blake play you'd know this. He has one of the best spins to the basket in the post in the entire league.

Post spin...Charles Barkley's favorite move. The move that he used to feast on the NBA with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9yvkw9WZF8
except when he does it he ends up on the wrong foot, I live in la I've watch a ton of clipper games this year, my roommate is a clipper fan

TheNaturalWR
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Well to be fair, a lot of people do...:oldlol:

LAClipsFan33
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Do you watch the NBA? Everyone flops. There are lot of guys that flop more than him. Look at Lebron, Duncan, Wade, Pau Gasol..etc. It's just become a part of today's NBA unfortunately. Blame the Europeans if you want. The NBA has allowed this to go on and players have taken advantage of it. He's not a strong defender, but that comes in time. A lot of guys don't come into the league knowing defense. He's improving.

I hate when everyone flops. I hate that one of my favorite players on my favorite team resorts to this pathetic strategy

BGriffin's Dad
07-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Barkely : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9yvkw9WZF8

Blake : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaC8WvWAHec

Face up...show post...spin...money. Defense doesn't even see it it's so quick

this

brandonislegend is clueless

LAClipsFan33
07-10-2012, 02:49 PM
except when he does it he ends up on the wrong foot, I live in la I've watch a ton of clipper games this year, my roommate is a clipper fan

Doesn't matter what foot he ends up on.

Gary Payton jumped off of the wrong foot frequently on his layups...worked very well for him and threw off the defense

brandonislegend
07-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Why wasn't he on the court if he has elite post moves and solid defense in any of the close 4th quarter games in the playoffs? Clipper fans salty he is a liability on offense and defense he has no post game and no jumper and is a terrible free throw shooter same with DJ that's why they will never win a championship with this group they can't when play their 2 starting bigs because both are liability's

liquidrage
07-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Shawn Kemp:facepalm . Wow, you have some really ignorant folk in this place. Griffin has been much better than Kemp since his rookie year. But whatever people can think what they want to think. Shut off reality.

LOL Blake isn't better than Shawn Kemp. Kemp was a much better defender too. Get out of here with your crap. Blake isn't even close to a Top 10 player in the league and rates about where Kemp did.

BGriffin's Dad
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
LOL Blake isn't better than Shawn Kemp. Kemp was a much better defender too. Get out of here with your crap. Blake isn't even close to a Top 10 player in the league and rates about where Kemp did.

lemme know when Kemp puts up 22.5/12.1/3.8 on 50.6% his first year (or any year) or 21.7/11.5/3.5 on 52.4% for his entire career.

never?

LAClipsFan33
07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Why wasn't he on the court if he has elite post moves and solid defense in any of the close 4th quarter games in the playoffs? Clipper fans salty he is a liability on offense and defense he has no post game and no jumper and is a terrible free throw shooter same with DJ that's why they will never win a championship with this group they can't when play their 2 starting bigs because both are liability's

This is why he wasn't on the court. Because he would have been hacked and missed his FTs

LAClipsFan33
07-10-2012, 03:14 PM
lemme know when Kemp puts up 22.5/12.1/3.8 on 50.6% his first year (or any year) or 21.7/11.5/3.5 on 52.4% for his entire career.

never?

I don't think numbers tell the whole story. Kemp was better than Blake is now in 1995 or so. I believe Blake will be better, but people often forget how good Kemp was for about a 5 year stretch

Reverend Hoops
07-10-2012, 03:19 PM
I don't think numbers tell the whole story. Kemp was better than Blake is now in 1995 or so. I believe Blake will be better, but people often forget how good Kemp was for about a 5 year stretch

Plus Kemp actually blocked shots and wasn't horrible on defense.

brandonislegend
07-10-2012, 03:20 PM

never?

stats aren't everything have you ever played basketball before? Impact on the game, Griffin can't even play at the end of games. Kemp wasn't a liability on defense and actually had some presence defending the rim

bih
07-10-2012, 03:20 PM

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Raz
07-10-2012, 03:22 PM

never?

Idiot. The game is more than stats. Kemp was a far, far, far better player. He was an elite defender, versatile offensively, and was a scary shot blocker.

Griffin can only dream of getting to Kemp's prime one day. Griffin is the most overrated piece of trash I have seen. He's a knee injury away from being an end of the bench scrub.

DurantFor40
07-10-2012, 03:24 PM
This man is a BONAFIDE SCRUB, he can't play the game of basketball.

2LeTTeRS
07-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Idiot. The game is more than stats. Kemp was a far, far, far better player. He was an elite defender, versatile offensively, and was a scary shot blocker.

Kemp was a hell of a shot blocker, but he was also a foul magnet. Because of that I would not call him anywhere near "elite" defensively.

Punpun
07-10-2012, 03:27 PM
In his seven year in the league, he could easily get another 5 year 95+ Million contract. Griffin is on pace to have a 200M career.

:yaohappy:

brandonislegend
07-10-2012, 03:29 PM
The Kevin Love deal looking better and better...

colorz
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I still can't believe people think he only dunks.

Watch this whole video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ikcLWYzfo

As you can see, Blake DOES have a jumpshot. He just needs to be able to knock it down more consistently. People forget it's only his 2nd full year in the NBA. He's obviously going to get better. He's playing with the best players in the world this summer. CP3 said Blake finally realizes that he needs to talk more on defense because of playing with Chandler. He's also going to work with Hakeem this summer.

I'll admit he wasn't great these playoffs, but you have to remember it's his first time in the playoffs. He was obviously shook at some points but these are the type of experiences that make you better. One thing you can't teach is experience.

brandonislegend
07-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I still can't believe people think he only dunks.

Watch this whole video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ikcLWYzfo

As you can see, Blake DOES have a jumpshot. He just needs to be able to knock it down more consistently. People forget it's only his 2nd full year in the NBA. He's obviously going to get better. He's playing with the best players in the world this summer. CP3 said Blake finally realizes that he needs to talk more on defense because of playing with Chandler. He's also going to work with Hakeem this summer.

I'll admit he wasn't great these playoffs, but you have to remember it's his first time in the playoffs. He was obviously shook at some points but these are the type of experiences that make you better. One thing you can't teach is experience.

Brandon Jennings scored 50 pts rookie year I'll post the video and then he'll have a jumpshot too, people get hot some games its basketball.

Raz
07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Kemp was a hell of a shot blocker, but he was also a foul magnet. Because of that I would not call him anywhere near "elite" defensively.

KD, I don't think being a "foul magnet" restricts someone from being called an elite defender. Hakeem Olajuwon was also a foul magnet throughout the 80's.

I always felt like Kemp should have been a center. The best Sonic line-ups were the ones when Perkins was on the floor with Kemp.

colorz
07-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Brandon Jennings scored 50 pts rookie year I'll post the video and then he'll have a jumpshot too, people get hot some games its basketball.

Jennings is a chucker.

The point is you don't average average 20+ PPG 2 years in a row off only dunking and layups. Obviously that's how he scores the majority of his points, but you're just being ignorant if you think that Blake has zero post moves and no jump-shot at all. He's still raw, but he will get better.

dunksby
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Blake brings in a lot of cash and support for the franchise so he should be getting paid.

tomtucker
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
fukk that flopping donkey kong looking mother****er :cheers:

2LeTTeRS
07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
KD, I don't think being a "foul magnet" restricts someone from being called an elite defender. Hakeem Olajuwon was also a foul magnet throughout the 80's.

I always felt like Kemp should have been a center. The best Sonic line-ups were the ones when Perkins was on the floor with Kemp.

I agree with you that Kemp should have been a 5 and that you can be a foul magnet and an elite defender. I also never understood why they started guys like Ervin Johnson, McIllvane (sp?) and Michael Cage when they had a better player (Perk) sitting on the bench. Sucks that the contract they gave to one of those big stiffs (Mcillvane) is what caused Kemp to walk.

Raz
07-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I agree with you that Kemp should have been a 5 and that you can be a foul magnet and an elite defender. I also never understood why they started guys like Ervin Johnson, McIllvane (sp?) and Michael Cage when they had a better player (Perk) sitting on the bench. Sucks that the contract they gave to one of those big stiffs (Mcillvane) is what caused Kemp to walk.

90's teams were obsessed with trying to match up with size. Guys like Webber and Kemp really should have been centers on running teams, force teams with guys like Mutumbo, Shaq and Ewing to match up with them.

They would have fared better against Hakeem and the Admiral just putting their best talent on the floor. The Sonics were stubborn asses with their 90's parade of bum centers.

SevereUpInHere
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I hate when everyone flops. I hate that one of my favorite players on my favorite team resorts to this pathetic strategy

Man... major respect for admitting this, might be the realest Clipps fan on here. :cheers:

CelticBaller
07-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Rich ass mo ****a :lol

Fiasco
07-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Man... major respect for admitting this, might be the realest Clipps fan on here. :cheers:

????????

I've been saying Griffin flops hard or flops home since the beginning of the year, baby.

lilgodfather1
07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Good for him/Clippers. Blake just got "made", and the Clippers (if they sgn Paul) have solidified themselves as contenders for the forseeable future barring an injury. Good for them, good for the league.

Chrono90
07-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Three words:

Overpaid. No post moves. No jumpshot.

Okay maybe more than 3 words lol

Fiasco
07-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Three words:

One word: dumbasss.

colorz
07-11-2012, 12:26 AM
One word: dumbasss.

My thoughts exactly.

G-train
07-11-2012, 12:28 AM
worth it

wally_world
07-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Based on potential he's definitely worth the signing. I wouldve waited till the next offseason tho, see if he performs up to par this season.

chazzy
07-11-2012, 12:32 AM
4th year opt out

devin112
07-11-2012, 06:30 AM
4th year opt out

it's a 5 year contract moron, u can't even troll right.

ihoopallday
07-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Griffin is a cash cow. No surprise at this contract. Clippers will probably make triple what their paying him.

3zazer1
07-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Blake's only 23, he has room to improve. This contract was more to ensure that he's a big part of the future going into the next few seasons, and that's not really a bad idea in this era of the NBA :confusedshrug:

3zazer1
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Three words:

:coleman: :lol :lol

Raz
07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
I still can't believe the Clipps are locked into this. I would have dealt him for Dwight.