PDA

View Full Version : Darren Collison for Ian Mahinmi S&T.

R.I.P.
07-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Good deal for both teams.

Dahntay Jones, too.

G-train
07-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Good deal for both teams.

got the numbers there?

gyu
07-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Wow, is Ian really that good or does he have a really high ceiling?

Collison can be a starting PG on most teams, I thought Ian is at best a role player.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-11-2012, 08:17 PM
who is Mahiniminimini?

DTreats
07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
What team is Mahinmi even on?

R.I.P.
07-11-2012, 08:19 PM
got the numbers there?

16 for 4 years.

Mahinmi is an excellent zone defender, just extremely foul-prone, but behind a Hibbert he

novocaine
07-11-2012, 08:19 PM

mavs...

great trade for dallas.

R.I.P.
07-11-2012, 08:20 PM

That

Locked_Up_Tonight
And the kicker is Collison and Jones are expiring deals.....

KB2009Champ
Great trade for Mavs.

Indy making room for OJ Mayo?

DTreats
Mahinmi is trash, Mavs win this trade easily. Dahntay Jones would be a nice piece on a contender.

Reverend Hoops
07-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Dallas gets a steal. Dahntay Jones is a decent reserve as well.

TMT
07-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Well the Pacers were due to get rid of Collison after extending George Hill. But damn the Mavericks really got the upper hand in this trade. They got Collison and Dhantay Jones? I mean Mahimni is a nice piece to have off the bench but doesn't have much of an offensive game, mostly just an athletic and energy kind of guy.

Pacers could have gotten more for Collison.

MeLO MvP 15
I love it for Dallas. I did like it for Indy til until I heard Mahimi got 4 years $16 mil.... that's pretty bad (I know bigs get paid a lot, but for 10-15 mpg and with some other bigs on the roster).

I wanted Dahntay Jones for the Knicks (was impossible after the Camby S&T), I actually think he'll be good on the Mavs and Collison could bounce back to his CP3 replacement #s.

UtahJazzFan88
Dallas trying to go after CP3 and or Dwight next offseason?

shortsoptional
07-11-2012, 08:23 PM
whoa... didn't see that coming...

Mahinmi was playing the most minutes at center at one point last season, but then faded later on in the year. Good back up center though.

Collison was really good that year in NO when Paul got hurt, but I got the feeling he was not really progressing in IND.

Any Pacer fans with a some analysis on Collison?

pegasus
Who will be Indy's backup guard, assuming Hill starts?

Mahinmi out, Hayward out, Kaman in, who else?

NOHCP3
Still remember Collison getting dealt for Ariza in the 3 way and me trying to rationalize it as a Hornets fan :lol couple years later they are both on different teams

Good deal for the Mavs. Really good deal.

kentatm
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Mahinmi looks great in spurts but commits really stupid fouls.

Offensively he has a decent 12 footer and can drive a bit. He doesn't finish strong enough though and often gets blocked.

On defense he is usually solid in the zone and about average man to man. Sometimes he tends to drift and lose his man.

His rebounding is decent enough but won't wow you.

He is basically a taller Brandon Bass IMO.

DuMa
07-11-2012, 08:25 PM
3rd consecutive great move for the Mavs today after Kaman and amnestying Haywood.

they know how to get shit done

shortsoptional
07-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Who will be Indy's backup guard, assuming Hill starts?

Mahinmi out, Hayward out, Kaman in, who else?

They are said to be putting in a big offer for Brand.

But they also have Branden Wright and Bernard James (27yr old rookie). Wright will probably play a lot if Dallas has to play small ball with anyone.

TMT
07-11-2012, 08:26 PM
From what I saw of Collison in the playoffs before he got benched for Hill, he was a terrible decision maker, took a lot of questionable shots (actually the reason they lost game 1 against Orlando in the first round), and just looked like a mess out there. They had to get rid of him, and if they are doing so to bring in Mayo that would be great for them.

KB2009Champ
07-11-2012, 08:27 PM
From what I saw of Collison in the playoffs before he got benched for Hill, he was a terrible decision maker, took a lot of questionable shots (actually the reason they lost game 1 against Orlando in the first round), and just looked like a mess out there. They had to get rid of him, and if they are doing so to bring in Mayo that would be great for them.

Got a writer to tweet me back. Apparently there is no room for mayo. So thats not. Unless if its a S&T.

PJR
Indiana is going to push hard for O.J. Mayo apparently...

shortsoptional
Mahinmi looks great in spurts but commits really stupid fouls.

Offensively he has a decent 12 footer and can drive a bit. He doesn't finish strong enough though and often gets blocked.

On defense he is usually solid in the zone and about average man to man. Sometimes he tends to drift and lose his man.

His rebounding is decent enough but won't wow you.

He is basically a taller Brandon Bass IMO.

Exactly what I was thinking. Even the same contract the Magic gave him.

But this really works well for Dallas. My question is, does Dallas receive Collison's RFA rights? In other words, will Dallas have the right to match an offer to him after this year?

R.I.P.
07-11-2012, 08:28 PM
whoa... didn't see that coming...

Mahinmi was playing the most minutes at center at one point last season, but then faded later on in the year. Good back up center though.

Collison was really good that year in NO when Paul got hurt, but I got the feeling he was not really progressing in IND.

Any Pacer fans with a some analysis on Collison?

With the money they are commiting to Hill they had to make him a starter.

The Pacers really lost that Miami series, because they were undersized and completely clueless how to defend the paint in the end. Mahinmi will help with their zone defense.

pegasus
07-11-2012, 08:29 PM
They are said to be putting in a big offer for Brand.

But they also have Branden Wright and Bernard James (27yr old rookie). Wright will probably play a lot if Dallas has to play small ball with anyone.
Oh yes, Elton Brand. Getting him would really solidify their frontcourt. Plus, wouldn't he be on a 1-year deal? Too bad Howard will be long gone by then, and CP3 will have signed an extension.

UtahJazzFan88
07-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah this is a precursor move for Indiana, most likely bringing in Mayo or someone decent to replace him.

Good trades for both sides. Pacers dump some salary to what I'm guessing is going to be Mayo, and the Mavs get decent players on 1 year deals.

bagelred
07-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Unless Dallas needs the cap space for something else, what is the point of amnestying Haywood? If you lose Mahinmi, why not just have a Kaman/Haywood rotation?

shortsoptional
07-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Oh yes, Elton Brand. Getting him would really solidify their frontcourt. Plus, wouldn't he be on a 1-year deal? Too bad Howard will be long gone by then, and CP3 will have signed an extension.

Yea...I don't think CP3 or Howard are coming here. I still like that Cuban isn't over spending for anyone, but at somepoint he's gonna have to shit or get off the pot with this cap room stuff.

I've heard most say that it's a one year deal to claim amnesty players and another say that you pay whatever you bid each year for his original contract. I believe the former is true.

UtahJazzFan88
07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Unless Dallas needs the cap space for something else, what is the point of amnestying Haywood? If you lose Mahinmi, why not just have a Kaman/Haywood rotation?

Because they're probably bringing in Elton Brand (need cap space for him) and Brandan Wright is just as good as Haywood.

shortsoptional
07-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Well, Haywood was losing minutes last year, especially in crunch time to Mahinmi and Branden Wright. Wright actually won a few games with his defense and offense last year in closing minutes. My guess is they are banking on Brand claim and using Wright more.

But yea, if you have the cap space, why not keep a big 7 footer?

shortsoptional
07-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Because they're probably bringing in Elton Brand (need cap space for him) and Brandan Wright is just as good as Haywood.

Bingo

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Unless Dallas needs the cap space for something else, what is the point of amnestying Haywood? If you lose Mahinmi, why not just have a Kaman/Haywood rotation?Unless Dallas needs the cap space for something else, what is the point of amnestying Haywood? If you lose Mahinmi, why not just have a Kaman/Haywood rotation?

Because Brand is a better basketball player at this stage of his career and his deal is expiring so the Mavs will have options at the end of next year. Does that mean they will get Howard? No. I doubt Howard goes to Dallas. But by getting other pieces allows Dallas to make a trade at the deadline for something else.

HylianNightmare
07-11-2012, 08:39 PM
nice move for the mavs

UtahJazzFan88
07-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Because Brand is a better basketball player at this stage of his career and his deal is expiring so the Mavs will have options at the end of next year. Does that mean they will get Howard? No. I doubt Howard goes to Dallas. But by getting other pieces allows Dallas to make a trade at the deadline for something else.

Here's some realistic free agents in 2013 they could get.

Andrew Bynum - Unrestricted
Monta Ellis - Player Option
Iggy - Player Option (Probably opts-in)
Harden - Restricted (Could overpay for him if OKC decides not to extend him)
Josh Smith - Unrestricted
Paul Millsap - Unrestricted
Al Jefferson - Unrestricted

shortsoptional
07-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Yerp... This is like last year, except hopefully there won't be a dramatic breakdown of what is supposed to be one of our main rotation guys.

Hopefully Dahntay Jones doesn't start dating a Kardashian. :lol

R.I.P.
07-11-2012, 08:42 PM

But at least next year there are some more FA out there than just Deron Williams. Even after Dwight you still have some bigs like Bynum, Jefferson, Josh Smith (probably has the athletism to play the Chandler role in Mavs system, but the intelligence?), Pekovic, Mozgov, Splitter and a lot of RFA/team options. So even if you bomb out on Dwight your consolation prize might still be an all-star center.

shortsoptional
07-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Here's some realistic free agents in 2013 they could get.

Andrew Bynum - Unrestricted
Monta Ellis - Player Option
Iggy - Player Option (Probably opts-in)
Harden - Restricted (Could overpay for him if OKC decides not to extend him)
Josh Smith - Unrestricted
Paul Millsap - Unrestricted
Al Jefferson - Unrestricted

I've always heard Marc Stein say Dallas brass loves Monta. Now, this was about 2 years ago when they were going after him in trade, but Monta would give Dallas (or more importantly Dirk) some scoring help.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-11-2012, 08:47 PM
And here's a post from a fellow Mav fan on a Mav board:

The new acquisitions can be packaged after December 15th:

Kaman - $8 mil
D. Jones - $2.9 mil
Collison - $2.3 mil
VC - $3.1
Roddy - $2.2 mil
DoJo - $1.3 mil
Wright - 900k

Total = $20.8 mil

bagelred
07-11-2012, 08:52 PM
The more I think about it , the more a steal that was for Mavericks. Two quality players for a center you weren't signing anyway. Pacers didn't maximize possible payout for those two guys.

knickballer
07-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Great trade for the Mavs. They are going to need players to replace Kidd/Terry's production and they are getting younger and cheaper players in the process.

They should be looking to get OJ Mayo to have some attractive pieces for Dwight next summer.

TexasBloodMoney
07-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I kinda wanna see Dallas go after Mayo. The roster is starting to look nice.

Potentially:

Collison - Beaubois
Mayo? - Carter
Marion - Jones
Nowitzki - Wright
Kaman - James?

I think Dallas is possibly looking to land Howard in december (if he isn't traded by then) but even without him the mavs are still in the mix of things.

D-Rose
07-11-2012, 08:57 PM
A very solid move by the Mavs, got two starters!

SCdac
07-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Great signing for Dallas. Collison is solid.

Kaman - $8 mil
D. Jones - $2.9 mil
Collison - $2.3 mil
VC - $3.1
Roddy - $2.2 mil
DoJo - $1.3 mil
Wright - 900k

Total = $20.8 mil

Wow, that's like half the team, for the price of one big FA.

What would the depth look like after trading them I wonder.

PTstyle272
07-11-2012, 09:04 PM
A very solid move by the Mavs, got two starters!

Who else did Indiana give up? Because I know your not talking about Dahntay Jones.

R.I.P.
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Collison will probably see starter minutes. If he can re-produce his Hornets starter numbers 18 pts/9 ast/51% shooting the Mavs robbed Fort Knox. They also retained cap flexibility and can re-sign Collison next summer.

shortsoptional
07-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Who else did Indiana give up? Because I know your not talking about Dahntay Jones.

I could see Dallas using Dahntay the same way they used Deshawn Stevenson 2 years ago. He's a "starter", but he really just "starts" the 1st and 3rd qt for defensive purposes. I don't know a lot about Dahntay Jones, but if he can hit an open three, I would bet that's how Carlisle will use him.

But yea, he's definitely not a starter in the true sense of the word.

D-Rose
07-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Mavs will probably interchange him and Delonte at the 2 if VC doesn't produce. But haven't seen him in awhile so idk if he's fallen off, etc.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
What would the depth look like after trading them I wonder.

Well they would still have:

Dirk/Marion/James/Crowder/Cunningham and guys who they can still sign such as Delonte, etc.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Chad Ford ‏ @ chadfordinsider
Did the Pacers just trade a young, starting PG who led team in playoff PER for the right to pay a back-up center $16M?

D-Rose
07-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Did the Pacers just trade a young, starting PG who led team in playoff PER for the right to pay a back-up center $16M?
That sure is one hell of a center duo financially for Indiana.

R.I.P.
07-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Mahinmi is a very good backup center, teammate and will be a fan favourite. If he wasn

AAckley1
07-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Wait....no draft picks? No cash?

We just gave them a starting PG & a solid bench wing for a back up center? And then capped if off by signing Gerald Green?

Awesome.

Balla_Status
07-11-2012, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Mahinmi is a very good backup center, teammate and will be a fan favourite. If he wasn

no pun intended
07-11-2012, 11:28 PM
The fvck? Thought this was a joke at first.

El Kabong
07-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I wasn't sure what the Mavs were doing this off-season. Thought the year might start with Dirk and a bunch of scrubbers. Very nice deal for the Mavs, trade a backup for a starter and a good rotation player. No long term cap implications in the deal either, which leaves their FA options open for next year also. Mahinmi most likely gets replaced by Bernard James in the Mavs rotation, so it's not like they'll be desperate for Mahinmi's 15 odd minutes a game.

Guess the Pacers decided Hill was their man and targeted a big as their main priority. Still thought they could have gotten more for Collison, especially with adding Jones to the mix also.

Freedom Kid7
07-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Cuban really did have some plans after all. I'm shocked. Congratulations Dallas fans, your not dead yet :cheers:

blacknapalm
07-12-2012, 12:00 AM
this trade isn't as bad as some make it out to be when you factor in mahinmi will take up some of tyler's minutes. tyler is such a liability when he's not scoring and rebounding. that said, it's still a pretty bad trade and i can't believe indy at least didn't get cash or picks to go with it. good move by mavs, slightly questionable for indy.

collison will probably go heavy P&R with dirk next year.

DirkNowitzki41
07-12-2012, 12:05 AM
:applause:

roffie
07-12-2012, 12:05 AM
ian sucks.. mavs win big.. get a solid pg

d.bball.guy
07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
:biggums: I thought it was just a trade idea.

Mavs get a huge steal. :applause:

Da Hammer
07-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Really good trade for the Mavs. Mahinmi shows flashes at times but he's just not smart and consistent enough IMO to be more than a back up center. Collison will be a big upgrade over Kidd and Jones will be a nice rotation player. If they could get Mayo, they are back in the mix for a top 5 seed in the West.

Arroyo8
07-12-2012, 12:24 AM
love it

CelticBaller
07-12-2012, 12:29 AM
damn so they basically traded Collison for a back up and Green :oldlol:

Rainwound
07-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Indy could have gotten better for Collison. At least the Mavs finally got something to go their way this offseason.

PTstyle272
07-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Wasn't ever really a big fan of Collison. Streaky shooter, undersized and horrible at entry passes.

His speed is nice though and he's good for some steals but this trade isn't nearly as lopsided as some think.

wally_world
07-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Pacers sold on Hill being their PG, but they couldve gotten more for Collison. Remember how well he played in NO when CP3 got injured? He's still very young too.

El Kabong
07-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Was this Kevin Pritchards first trade for the Pacers? What happened to the "Pritchslap"? Maybe he's just rusty.

stevieming
07-12-2012, 04:25 AM

Kaman - $8 mil
D. Jones - $2.9 mil
Collison - $2.3 mil
VC - $3.1
Roddy - $2.2 mil
DoJo - $1.3 mil
Wright - 900k

Total = $20.8 mil

ho hummm players all of them.....if only carter was 10 years younger, perfect 1b for Dirk's 1a.

That roster ain't going to win Dirk another chip, really mad with Cuban for dismantling the championship roster. I think he should have kept Chandler, dude is going to be good for at least another 2 years - this year and the next. So that meant they would have got 3 years of production out of him.

PG spot - Kidd is done in my opinion, couldn't believe they couldn't get anyone like lowry or dragic...

Shooting Guard - terry not resigned...probably did the right thing in letting Barea go, as this spot is stacked with players anyway....OJ Majo could thrive big time in Dallas with playing time....

Small Forward - Marion is still good...

Overall I am just pissed that Cuban has decided to waste two years of Dirk's prime....

As for the odom trade, that was stupid, dude is a laker there was no way he was ever going to play hard for Dallas. Plus with all the mental issues and personal problems, he was never right.

Bosnian Sajo
07-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Pacers just signed Green to a 3yr 10m contract.

Anyways I think this is a dumb deal. Trade your starting point guard (decent one at that) and one of your best defenders for a backup big man? Even though you got Hansbrough and Amundson? Ehhhh

m00qi
07-12-2012, 07:31 AM
:banana:

Raz
07-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Actually a good deal for Indiana. Collison was not working out for them, his value had decreased significantly. Jones was not getting major time anyway.

They now have their centers, two young and able bodies (along with Plumlee, looking good) for the next 4-5 years.

They have also opened up room to go get Mayo, and should be trading for Augustin - a more reliable scorer off the bench than Collison, a cross between Barbosa and Collison.

CT: Hibbert/ Mahinmi/ Plumlee
PF: West/ Hansbrough/ Pendergraph
SF: Granger/ George
SG: Mayo/ Green/ Johnson
PG: Hill/ Augustin/ Stephenson

2LeTTeRS
07-12-2012, 08:18 AM
This is the rare trade where I think a team got better while the exchange talent-wise was unfairly stacked in favor of the other team. The Pacers clearly got less talent, but they seem to be embracing playing super-sized line-up and Mahinmi is both better and longer than their existing backups.

Collison is talented, but the investment the Pacers just made in George Hill shows that they view him as their point guard and they already have Barbosa on the roster who can more than adequately fill the backup minutes at the point.

bagelred
07-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Certain GM's know how to maximize return on their players, even if they don't want them.

Morey would have got 3 draft picks back for Collison and Jones. :lol Bird got zero. A backup center they just paid $16 million. Strange.