PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats pursuing Ramon Sessions and Brendan Haywood

rufuspaul
07-12-2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/11/3377002/bobcats-may-pursue-sessions-haywood.html

[QUOTE] LAS VEGAS

Quizno
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
as an LA native i watched pretty much every lakers game and sessions is pretty suspect...he's pretty good at getting to the rim but he doesn't assert himself enough and his jumper isn't any good. he could be a good backup but i remember reading that he wasn't content being a bench player so i don't know how interested he'd be. haywood's a decent defensive big so i guess i'd be okay with it.

rufuspaul
07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
as an LA native i watched pretty much every lakers game and sessions is pretty suspect...he's pretty good at getting to the rim but he doesn't assert himself enough and his jumper isn't any good. he could be a good backup but i remember reading that he wasn't content being a bench player so i don't know how interested he'd be. haywood's a decent defensive big so i guess i'd be okay with it.

He brought his 3pt shooting up to 48% which ain't too shabby. As far as starting he certainly has a better chance at that with Kemba than with Nash. :oldlol:

If (a big if) we can land these 2 plus Jamison our lineup would be:

Kemba, Sessions, Gordon
Hendo, Gordon, Williams, Carroll
MKG, Brown, Taylor
Jamison, TT, Mullens
Biyombo, Haywood, Diop

I'd be cool with that.

Timmeh
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Did I miss something? What happened to DJ?

rufuspaul
07-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Did I miss something? What happened to DJ?

He turned down a lucrative extension and has apparently let it be known he wants out of Charlotte. The cats are pursuing a sign and trade. If that doesn't work they'll have the choice of letting him walk or matching another team's offer and keeping him.

LJJ
07-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't even know why they offered Augustin a "lucrative extension", he hasn't been impressing anybody.

Sessions seems like a decent enough rotation guard. If only he had a jumpshot huh. I'm sure there aren't many teams in the market for Sessions, so I'm hoping for a friendly contract.

Not feeling Haywood though. Haywood is known as a head case and massive lockerroom cancer, not someone you want to bring into your inexperienced squad. Being paid money to go away by Dallas, a team in dire need of a center isn't looking good either.

rufuspaul
07-12-2012, 07:16 PM
DJ's gone, offer rescinded.

Timmeh
07-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Glad we got something for him.

(Sarcasm)

~spectre~
07-13-2012, 05:44 AM
We did...we swapped him for Sessions.

DJ got 1 year/3.5 million. Suffice to say there wasn't a big market for him.

I do think we could have gotten something as the Pacers would like the added capspace but with the reports that we're still pursuing Humphries the FO needs all the space they can get. IF they do land Hump we'll most likely have to amnesty Gana to fit him in.

Sessions/Hump is better than Sessions/2nd/filler salary.

There's no guarantee we will get Hump as the Nets really need him...but I think our FO's strategy here is sound.

rufuspaul
07-13-2012, 06:06 AM
We did...we swapped him for Sessions.

DJ got 1 year/3.5 million. Suffice to say there wasn't a big market for him.

I do think we could have gotten something as the Pacers would like the added capspace but with the reports that we're still pursuing Humphries the FO needs all the space they can get. IF they do land Hump we'll most likely have to amnesty Gana to fit him in.

Sessions/Hump is better than Sessions/2nd/filler salary.

There's no guarantee we will get Hump as the Nets really need him...but I think our FO's strategy here is sound.

Agreed. It'd be interesting if we sign Humphries and Jamison goes to the Nets.

LJJ
07-13-2012, 06:08 AM
We don't want Humphries.

That guy is barely an upgrade over DJ White, but is asking for a long term deal worth close to 10 a year.

I hope they try to get Scola.

rufuspaul
07-13-2012, 08:47 AM
We don't want Humphries.

That guy is barely an upgrade over DJ White, but is asking for a long term deal worth close to 10 a year.

I hope they try to get Scola.

You're right. Looks like Brooklyn is going to overpay for Mr. Kardashian. Starting to look more likely that we'll land either Jamison or Scola.

Timmeh
07-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I hope we don't get Humphries. He's all hype.

Scola would be nice. But I'm not really impressed by the FO at this point. Granted, there isn't much going on, so its hard to be impressed.

rufuspaul
07-13-2012, 11:14 PM
MKG with 15 pts at the half. Just sayin.

Quizno
07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
MKG with 15 pts at the half. Just sayin.
our picks look awesome out there man

ukballer
07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Only seen the highlights on NBA.com, but yeah MKG looking real good! Loved that dunk after the mid-court in the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Mullens took 7 threes? :lol Sorry, can't help be a little bitter he's not suiting up for GB at the Olympics haha. Still my guy though. It's fair to say Bismack was pretty active too in limited minutes!

Agree with you guys, really don't want Hump for that amount of salary, though I do think he gets a raw deal from fans and the media.

ukballer
07-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
So in today's big amnesty machinations: Bobcats claim Mavs castoff Brendan Haywood & Wolves castoff Darko Milicic now available to masses

No link, just seen this tweet though.

rufuspaul
07-14-2012, 07:09 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/14/3383181/bobcats-get-brendan-haywood-via.html

LAS VEGAS – Brendan Haywood already lives in Charlotte. Now he works there, too.

The Charlotte Bobcats claimed Dallas Mavericks center and former North Carolina Tar Heel Haywood off waivers Saturday. The move – expected to cost about $6 million over the next three seasons – could land the Bobcats their starter in the middle.

Seven-footer Haywood was waived Thursday under the NBA's amnesty provision, which allows each team to cut one player and no longer count his salary against that team's cap. The Bobcats agreed to pay about $2 million each season of what the Mavs still owe Haywood in a blind-auction process for amnestied players.

"When you have an opportunity to get a quality center, you do it," said Bobcats president of basketball operations Rod Higgins."He's somebody we're familiar with from his rookie season in Washington."

Higgins and Bobcats owner Michael Jordan were running the Wizards' basketball operation when Haywood arrived as a rookie. The Mavericks amnestied him Thursday in order to sign free-agent center Chris Kaman. Haywood has a home in Charlotte and frequently worked out at Time Warner Cable Arena with various Bobcats the past few summers.

"He's a defender, a rebounder, a runner and a shot-blocker," Higgins described. "He has the ability to take up space in the paint, and we need that. He really rolls hard to the basket (offensively). The way he plays, he has to be honored in the paint, and we need that" to free up perimeter shooters.

Haywood, 32, grew up in Greensboro before becoming a Tar Heel. He played at North Carolina with power forward Antawn Jamison, who the Bobcats are recruiting in free-agency. Signing Jamison would likely complete the Bobcats’ major off-season acquisitions, after they signed point guard Ramon Sessions on Friday.

Over a 10-year NBA career, Haywood has averaged 7.2 points and 62 rebounds and shot 53 percent from the field. He’ll compete with fellow centers Bismack Biyombo and Byron Mullens for playing time.

The Observer first reported the Bobcats’ interest in Haywood Wednesday. He cleared waivers – with the Bobcats submitting the winning bid – about 5 p.m. Saturday.

Higgins said Haywood’s foot speed and shot-blocking ability could be particularly useful in the system new coach Mike Dunlap is installing.

"In the up-tempo defensive mechanism we'll have, a shot-blocker as the last line of defense is always helpful," Higgins said.

Higgins said a veteran center could be good for Biyombo, as a mentor.

"He can lean on Brendan," Higgins said.

rufuspaul
07-15-2012, 07:31 AM
Bonnell lists our depth chart in this morning's paper:

Kemba, Sessions, Higgins (sigh)
Hendo, Gordon, Williams
MKG, Brown, Taylor
TT, Jamison?
Haywood, Biyombo, Mullens

Where's Carroll and Diop? :oldlol:

Personally I'd rather have Scola but it seems we're gonna sign either him, Jamison or Landry.

So far this off-season we've had a trade (Gordon), draft (MKG, Taylor) and free agency (Sessions, Haywood, tbd PF). Nothing earth shattering but all solid moves imo. I wish the season were starting tomorrow.

ukballer
07-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Don't Carroll and Diop have player options for this upcoming season?

rufuspaul
07-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Not sure. Spectre would know.

liverpooty
07-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Diop and Carroll are gone after this season. Thats close to 11 million in expirings, add in the amnesty (if we choose to use it) on Thomas, and you have close to 20 million.

~spectre~
07-19-2012, 06:20 AM

Yes, and both opted in (surprise!).

At this point I'm hoping we get an up and comer...HOU just waived 2 bigs so maybe one of those guys.

We are right at the cap and because we started with capspace we have no MLE. With the amnesty deadline gone don't expect anymore big FA signings.

Whoah10115
08-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Shocked the Bobcats didn't draft Barnes. If Jordan really wants him as much as he says, then he could always take advantage of MKG and reel in Barnes +...not that it's gonna happen.

I think Sessions can start with Kemba. Issue, of course, is size. I think Kemba is more a combo 2guard than a combo PG. He's just short. If Sessions could guard shooting guards then Kemba could guard PG's. Not sure.

Timmeh
08-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I think you're a little late to this party.

veilside23
08-17-2012, 08:58 PM
nice pick up .. if they get scola then looks decent enough to rack up some wins.. but do you think that getting a better prospect next year would make this team a playoff team?

just saying.. i mean time for MJ to reclaim his glory as an owner ;)

~spectre~
08-28-2012, 12:19 PM
nice pick up .. if they get scola then looks decent enough to rack up some wins.. but do you think that getting a better prospect next year would make this team a playoff team?

just saying.. i mean time for MJ to reclaim his glory as an owner ;)

Next year. We still need another top 5 pick...then we'll be going in with a lot of crap salary off the books and Sessions/Gordon as expirers.