PDA

View Full Version : Javale McGee offered 5yrs 50mil

DuMa
07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/13/report-nuggets-offer-javale-mcgee-five-years-50-million/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[QUOTE]The Nuggets continue to pursue restricted free-agent center JaVale McGee, who has a five-year, $50 million offer on the table, a source said. But McGee

07-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I thought NBA owners kept saying they were losing money but they keep giving these huge contracts to average players.

he is really athletic but take that away he is not as useful.

wang4three
07-13-2012, 12:21 PM
And people say Brook was bad.

Batz
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Can I be 7FT? Just for one day? Please...?

DuMa
07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
its a similar deal that DeAndre got. Hes a similar player to McGee but McGee has more potential on the offensive end.

However DJ got a 4 yr deal. I dont really like 5 year contracts for centers, unless maybe the 5th year is a team option.

Freedom Kid7
07-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I like Javale, but he's not worth that much money. Why do owners and Gms insist on some of these deals?

tontoz
07-13-2012, 12:23 PM
So glad it isn't the Wizards offering him that. He is so clueless and soft.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 12:24 PM
And people say Brook was bad.

And those people were right.

It's A VC3!!!
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Lopez is a 7 footer who averages 19 ppg. Name me two other people who dothat. Exactly, shut up.

Punpun
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
McGee is better than Jordan tho. It's pretty low for a guy with McGee potential in this market.

The Macho Man
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
So glad it isn't the Wizards offering him that. He is so clueless and soft.

:hammertime:

Now Amnesty Blatche:mad:

wang4three
07-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Brook at least has the potential to at point to live his up to that contract. Javale doesn't.

niko
07-13-2012, 12:29 PM
That's too much money for McGee. He's lost, he might develop into a really good player. He may also decide he doesn't need to ever improve because he already got paid.

wagexslave
07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Lopez is a 7 footer who averages 19 ppg. Name me two other people who dothat. Exactly, shut up.
Name 2 other 7 footers that average 3 rebounds per game on 27 mpg :oldlol:

RRR3
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Bargnani. No actually Bargs gets at least 5 or 6 a game :lol

swag2011
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM

LMAO :cheers:

bagelred
07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Why are people still surprised at big contracts for big men? There aren't that many around that have potential. EVERY big man who's young and has his potential gets paid. Every time.

Plus, he's comedic gold. Who doesn't want to watch that?:rockon: You know at any moment he might accidentally run into a wall.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 12:35 PM

No defense either. :facepalm

Hank
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
horrific deal

not for Javale

Crown&Coke
07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
in the Lakers series alone he showed he can be a really significant contributor

he showed some flashes of post moves as well which surprised me, if he can improve his offensive game to go along with his paint protection he surely can live up to that contract.

Sure he is dumb as Kelly Bundy, but 7 footers with talent aren't exactly growing on trees these days

It's A VC3!!!
07-13-2012, 12:40 PM
He has a career average of 7.5 so your argument is stupid invalid. He had mono and a shoulde injury in 2010 which is why he rebounding was poor and in 2011 he was injured the entire season.

BlackVVaves
07-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Match point :oldlol:

Crown&Coke
07-13-2012, 12:44 PM
He has a career average of 7.5 so your argument is stupid invalid. He had mono and a shoulde injury in 2010 which is why he rebounding was poor and in 2011 he was injured the entire season.

I didn't know he had a shoulder injury. Now it makes more sense. He averaged 8 boards his first couple years then tanked.

Dude got game. His offensive arsenal is damn good. I would like to see a mean streak from him though. But he may have that Duncan like competitiveness in him, where he doesn't need to look like he is going 100 but he really is

Two teams were said to want to offer him the max. Its not like the Nets gave him all that loot simply because

The Macho Man
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
in the Lakers series alone he showed he can be a really significant contributor

he showed some flashes of post moves as well which surprised me, if he can improve his offensive game to go along with his paint protection he surely can live up to that contract.

Sure he is dumb as Kelly Bundy, but 7 footers with talent aren't exactly growing on trees these days

Think it said more about Bynum that he let Mcgee outplay him.

RRR3
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Didn't stop him from scoring a career high in points in 2011. :confusedshrug:

Hank
07-13-2012, 12:47 PM

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/pro--sports/flashB.gifhttp://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/pro--sports/flashB.gif

Crown&Coke
07-13-2012, 01:17 PM

:eek:

ncrizzle
07-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I think he will be well worth that contract in 2 years. Although i guess it is possible for him to get dumber

The Bird
07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Why is everyone constantly shocked at the expensive contracts big men get? It's like you're all goldfish with five second memories.

GaryRaymond23
07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Reasonable contract considering a few months ago he was claiming to want a max contract. He has all the potential in the world, hopefully Karl can develop him - Nuggets could be a very scary team in a few years, they have a lot of young potential players on that roster.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Why is everyone constantly shocked at the expensive contracts big men get? It's like you're all goldfish with five second memories.

Who is shocked? Just because people say it is too much to pay him doesn't mean they are shocked.

RIF

The Bird
07-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Who is shocked? Just because people say it is too much to pay him doesn't mean they are shocked.

RIF

Why is that too much to pay him if that's generally the market for big men with potential?

tontoz
07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Why is that too much to pay him if that's generally the market for big men with potential?

Because he is soft and dumb as a rock. Potential means that he hasn't done crap yet. That's all.

Having watched him i would pay him $5 million/yr. Getting rid of him was addition by subtraction.

Sarcastic
07-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Because he is soft and dumb as a rock. Potential means that he hasn't done crap yet. That's all.

Having watched him i would pay him $5 million/yr. Getting rid of him was addition by subtraction.

Do you think athletes don't ever mature or get better?

tontoz
07-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Some do, some don't. Some get worse, especially after they sign a big deal.

Some guys don't have the capacity/desire to learn/improve. Seeing how McGee played in a contract year told me all i needed to know.

Owl
07-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Here's the players who were somewhat close to McGee as shot blocker and rebounder.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2012&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=trb_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=16&c2stat=blk_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=5&c3stat=ws_per_48&c3comp=gt&c3val=-1000&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per
Most of those guys are part timers. Of those that aren't Dalembert is getting on and worse offensively. DeAndre is sort of similar but worse, more raw with less offensive upside. And Hibbert has a much higher b-ball IQ, but a lesser rebounder, shot blocker, less accurate from the field, lacks McGee's upside and athleticism and is going to be getting much more per year.

Because the Wizards sucked the only context through which most people payed any attention to McGee was his screwups.

The Wizards were a terrible place for a young player to develop in any case with a lot of low basketball IQ guys (including Javale) and some with questionable character.

So in conclusion given the present market for centers in which apparently Brook Lopez is a max guy, ten million a year is fine, perhaps even quite good.

In fact with a marginal actual improvement and a boost in minutes and profile McGee could be in play for MIP.

Now would you want McGee to smarten up on court, sure. But even if he doesn't this will hardly be the worst contract handed out this summer.

Sarcastic
07-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Here's the players who were somewhat close to McGee as shot blocker and rebounder.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2012&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=trb_pct&c1comp=gt&c1val=16&c2stat=blk_pct&c2comp=gt&c2val=5&c3stat=ws_per_48&c3comp=gt&c3val=-1000&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per
Most of those guys are part timers. Of those that aren't Dalembert is getting on and worse offensively. DeAndre is sort of similar but worse, more raw with less offensive upside. And Hibbert has a much higher b-ball IQ, but a lesser rebounder, shot blocker, less accurate from the field, lacks McGee's upside and athleticism and is going to be getting much more per year.

Because the Wizards sucked the only context through which most people payed any attention to McGee was his screwups.

The Wizards were a terrible place for a young player to develop in any case with a lot of low basketball IQ guys (including Javale) and some with questionable character.

So in conclusion given the present market for centers in which apparently Brook Lopez is a max guy, ten million a year is fine, perhaps even quite good.

In fact with a marginal actual improvement and a boost in minutes and profile McGee could be in play for MIP.

Now would you want McGee to smarten up on court, sure. But even if he doesn't this will hardly be the worst contract handed out this summer.

He's actually being lowballed. He deserves $12 million+.

roffie
07-13-2012, 02:09 PM
but but.. he has hakeem moves bro

FireDavidKahn
07-13-2012, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSYA3Gb7oI

kurple
07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
it's too much, but right at market value compared to what centers have gotten the last couple of years (Hibbert, Lopez, Asik, Chandler, Jordan, Nene etc)

and i for some reason have faith in McGee

FireDavidKahn
07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
You can't fix low IQ.

kurple
07-13-2012, 02:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgSYA3Gb7oI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqQuB_aPak

dunksby
07-13-2012, 02:14 PM
George Karl probably thinks he can make something out of him, he was playing much better later in the season when he joined the Nuggz.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 02:15 PM
It takes a special talent to have the worst +/- on two teams in the same season. McGee accomplished this last season. I doubt many others have.

I remember one sequence last season when he was trying to post up Isiah Thomas, the little pg, and couldn't do it. Isiah wasn't letting McGee get position easily enough so McGee flopped. when he didn't get the call he got mad at the ref.

He goes down to the other end and purposefully lets a guy drive past him so he can send a goaltend spike deep into the stands. And while the play was unfolding the Wizards coach got up off the bench and made the goaltend signal, before the opposing player even took the shot.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 02:15 PM
George Karl probably thinks he can make something out of him, he was playing much better later in the season when he joined the Nuggz.

No he wasn't.

FireDavidKahn
07-13-2012, 02:16 PM
No he wasn't. He was exactly the same player he was in Washington; however, he was surrounded by better players.

FireDavidKahn
07-13-2012, 02:17 PM
It takes a special talent to have the worst +/- on two teams in the same season. McGee accomplished this last season. I doubt many others have.

I remember one sequence last season when he was trying to post up Isiah Thomas, the little pg, and couldn't do it. Isiah wasn't letting McGee get position easily enough so McGee flopped. when he didn't get the call he got mad at the ref.

He goes down to the other end and purposefully lets a guy drive past him so he can send a goaltend spike deep into the stands. And while the play was unfolding the Wizards coach got up off the bench and made the goaltend signal, before the opposing player even took the shot.
I linked the youtube of that a few posts above yours.

dunksby
07-13-2012, 02:18 PM
No he wasn't. He was exactly the same player he was in Washington; however, he was surrounded by better players.
He made less dumb plays imo, maybe the low average IQ of the Wiz had an amplifying affect on his stupidity :lol

tontoz
07-13-2012, 02:22 PM
I linked the youtube of that a few posts above yours.

Thanks. I cant view youtube vids at work.

ncrizzle
07-13-2012, 03:09 PM
If there is a coach that can tap his potential, it is George Karl

Clifton
07-13-2012, 03:19 PM
McGee is not a guy a team that wants to be serious should have on their roster period. He is not good. Can you see the Spurs putting him on the floor if he were on their roster? For even one minute?

But certain not for more than a 6-7 mil a year type of deal. I mean *maybe* if you want a 3rd big and desperately need energy and don't have any seven footers and are worried about the Lakers etc. But he's not a guy you throw your second or third biggest contract to. No way.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 03:34 PM
It should also be noted that McGee has asthma and that was frequently a problem in DC. He got winded easily. It will only be more of a problem in Denver.

jbot
07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
It should also be noted that McGee has asthma and that was frequently a problem in DC. He got winded easily. It will only be more of a problem in Denver.
did not know that. denver is a bad place to him to be then.

i wouldn't have signed him to such a long contract. should have given him 3 yrs and see how he develops. seeing how his mentality is kinda flighty so far, he might relax too much with such a long deal.

IGOTGAME
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
That's too much money for McGee. He's lost, he might develop into a really good player. He may also decide he doesn't need to ever improve because he already got paid.

well that is what you pay for.

GOBB
07-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I thought he get more. But still overpaid.

I hope he atleast earns more of that kind of contract than his bigger brother Dalembert. Similar contracts

it's too much, but right at market value compared to what centers have gotten the last couple of years (Hibbert, Lopez, Asik, Chandler, Jordan, Nene etc)

and i for some reason have faith in McGee

He just signed for 5yrs, you have no choice but to employ faith. :roll:

PejaNowitzki
07-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I like Javale, but he's not worth that much money. Why do owners and Gms insist on some of these deals?

Because they really weren't down to their last few bucks away from poverty like they cried about? Ultimately you're going to see some of these deals result in huge firesales down the road as free agent signings flop and teams end up losing, GM's get fired and the process starts all over again.

DuMa
07-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I thought he get more. But still overpaid.

I hope he atleast earns more of that kind of contract than his bigger brother Dalembert. Similar contracts

He just signed for 5yrs, you have no choice but to employ faith. :roll:

He hasnt been signed. McGee is holding out for more.

kurple
07-13-2012, 04:36 PM
i'm sure there are doctors in denver

and just to make it clear.. McGee didnt make any standout idiot plays while in Denver. There might have been a goaltend or two, but i'll take that if it means we get a rim protector that will also help our 3pt defense (our biggest problem last season, by far)

GOBB
07-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Holding out for more? What is he a retar...wait nevermind. :facepalm

ncrizzle
07-13-2012, 04:39 PM
He should be asking for Kobe money

The Macho Man
07-13-2012, 04:39 PM

It's not really about maturity, it's that he's really really dumb.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 04:46 PM
i'm sure there are doctors in denver

and just to make it clear.. McGee didnt make any standout idiot plays while in Denver. There might have been a goaltend or two, but i'll take that if it means we get a rim protector that will also help our 3pt defense (our biggest problem last season, by far)

There are doctors in DC too. What's your point?

Shotblocking and rim protecting are not the same thing. The Wizards defense improved by a mile as soon as McGee left, even when Nene was out.

3 point defense? How do you expect McGee to help you there? :confusedshrug:

KyrieTheFuture
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM
He getting the max.

waseem780
07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
JaVale deserves this.. look how he destroyed the lakers in a couple of games in the playoffs .. get him consistency and he's a defo All-star ,

NuggetsFan
07-13-2012, 05:40 PM
I don't like McGee at 10 mill but he's 7 feet tall and filled with potential. I figured a team would offer him more. In today's league you'd think he could fetch 11-12 mill somewhere.

He played less minutes in Denver but wasn't near as many laugh out loud mistakes like in Washington. Obviously with Karl plus teammates with brain cells it's easier to mask them than when he was with the Wizards.

All I know is he was a huge part of getting Denver to 7 with L.A and because of that I can live with him coming back for 10. Had that one game with 5\9 and 6 blocks. 16\15\2 with 3 blocks and 2 steals in 28 minutes and got the W. 21\14 with 2 blocks and got the win.

He had some rough patches but facing Pau\Bynum was quite the task for a raw player like McGee.

The Choken One
07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
All these shit/average players getting big contracts because all the superstars are in a select few locations...making teams take risks and give big money to players who don't really deserve just so they can compete.

Derka
07-13-2012, 06:11 PM
There is no hope for the NBA.

JaVale McGee might be an abject moron, but all he's doing is getting paid. The owner who decided "Yes, this retard who almost won a Slam Dunk contest is worth $50 million" is easily the bigger moron.

I can already see the next CBA negotiation..."Sorry players, but we really think the league needs a hard cap...we're just too stupid to spend our money wisely and we need to be stopped somehow."

kurple
07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
There are doctors in DC too. What's your point?

Shotblocking and rim protecting are not the same thing. The Wizards defense improved by a mile as soon as McGee left, even when Nene was out.

3 point defense? How do you expect McGee to help you there? :confusedshrug:
my point is that the nuggets wouldnt give him 50mill if the doctors didnt think he could play 30+mpg in Denver

McGee could be a rim protector with the right coaching.. The Wizards has a joke of a coaching staff.

having a rim protector helps the 3pt defense.. have you never played basketball at a decent level?

ballup
07-13-2012, 06:26 PM
And I thought that the Nugget's FO were one of the smarter ones in the league. Unless he explodes within the next 3 seasons, this contract will not be worth it.

ispin69
07-13-2012, 06:42 PM
David Stern should be blocking these kinds of crappy offers, not legit trades.

longtime lurker
07-13-2012, 07:08 PM
ROFL why am I not surprised. This is the same front office that paid near max money to NENE only to trade him halfway into the season. I still can't understand why a single fan supports the owners during the lockouts.

knickballer
07-13-2012, 07:30 PM
And I thought that the Nugget's FO were one of the smarter ones in the league. Unless he explodes within the next 3 seasons, this contract will not be worth it.

What's even more stupid is even if Denver doesn't resign him there would be atleast 3 teams offering the same type of contract.. Most likely Portland and Houston..

tontoz
07-13-2012, 07:58 PM
my point is that the nuggets wouldnt give him 50mill if the doctors didnt think he could play 30+mpg in Denver

McGee could be a rim protector with the right coaching.. The Wizards has a joke of a coaching staff.

having a rim protector helps the 3pt defense.. have you never played basketball at a decent level?

Well McGee didnt play 30 minutes per game in denver this season. Until he does all anyone can do is speculate. But the fact is that his asthma was a problem in DC so there is no reason to think it won't be a problem in thin air on a fast paced team. Doesn't take a doctor to figure that out.

The Wizards fired their joke of a coach midseason. Wittman did a good job after taking over and many of the players made significant progress under him.

Ask any Wizards fan if they consider McGee a rim protector. McGee's idea of protecting the rim is letting guys get there and then trying to block the shot. If he doesn't think he can block it he will just watch the guy shoot a layup. He doesn't try to prevent the guy from getting to the rim in the first place. At all.

Coaching doesn't matter if the player doesn't have the capacity and/or is unwilling to learn.

True rim protectors don't let Tim Duncan go coast to coast and dunk in their face without raising their arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hegKe_YX18

I guess that was the coaches fault, right?

Kiddlovesnets
07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Well at least he aint getting 14M/year deal.
:lol

FireDavidKahn
07-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Well McGee didnt play 30 minutes per game in denver this season. Until he does all anyone can do is speculate. But the fact is that his asthma was a problem in DC so there is no reason to think it won't be a problem in thin air on a fast paced team. Doesn't take a doctor to figure that out.

The Wizards fired their joke of a coach midseason. Wittman did a good job after taking over and many of the players made significant progress under him.

Ask any Wizards fan if they consider McGee a rim protector. McGee's idea of protecting the rim is letting guys get there and then trying to block the shot. If he doesn't think he can block it he will just watch the guy shoot a layup. He doesn't try to prevent the guy from getting to the rim in the first place. At all.

Coaching doesn't matter if the player doesn't have the capacity and/or is unwilling to learn.

True rim protectors don't let Tim Duncan go coast to coast and dunk in their face without raising their arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hegKe_YX18

I guess that was the coaches fault, right?
No offense, and I really don't mean to take a shot at Washington, but Wittman is an even bigger joke then Saunders is. You will see this season how bad of a coach Wittman is. The only reason you guys seemingly did better after Flip was fired was simply due to a culture change.

50inchvertical
07-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I think he is worth more, given that Jordan got about ~11

ProfessorMurder
07-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Why are you guys trashing this? It's not like they gave him a max deal.

10 million is the going rate for a solid, young, athletic, 7 footer.

Maestro33
07-14-2012, 02:36 AM
That's a million bucks for each IQ point