PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Clyde Drexler vs 2012 Kobe bryant

juju151111
07-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Since people are cliaming Kobe would of made the dream team. Which player is better.

SilkkTheShocker
07-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Im going with Kobe. Better player in the half-court.

Wavy Crockett
07-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Im going with Kobe. Better player in the half-court.
Yup, Drexler thrived in open court opportunities.

StateOfMind12
07-13-2012, 04:12 PM
'92 Drexler. Most other versions of Kobe is better than '92 Drexler though but 2012 Kobe? I'll take '92 Drexler over that version of Kobe easily.

Kobe is too inefficient, doesn't hustle, doesn't play defense, he doesn't do anything except play offense really these days which goes to show you that he will be on his way out of the league soon.

rawimpact
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
wtf... is this really happening?

DTreats
07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
'92 Drexler. Most other versions of Kobe is better than '92 Drexler though but 2012 Kobe? I'll take '92 Drexler over that version of Kobe easily.

Kobe is too inefficient, doesn't hustle, doesn't play defense, he doesn't do anything except play offense really these days which goes to show you that he will be on his way out of the league soon.
Good lord, what a crock of shit.:oldlol:

It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about so why pretend that you do?

StateOfMind12
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM
I'll post the statlines of the two players.

'92 Drexler - 25/7/7 with 47% FG, 56% TS, 51% eFG
'12 Kobe - 28/5/5 with 43% FG, 53% TS, 46% eFG

3 extra points with worse efficiency or a better all-around game.

It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about so why pretend that you do?
Oh the irony.

kennethgriffin
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
28/5/5 regular season
1st team all nba
2nd team all defense
2 years removed from b2b finals mvp's
current olympic team captain

vs

25/6/6 regular season
1st team all nba
no selection for all defensive
no fmvps or titles as of yet
olympic reserve

even going on his 17th year kobe is still above drexler in his prime

and even then its not all about numbers... kobe has the far more polished game

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Drexler is every bit in Kobe's league. He led the Blazers past Magic's Lakers to the finals, not once, but twice. At this stage in both players
careers, Clyde wasn't just the better athlete, but a better passer, rebounder and defender (his outside shot got better over time as well).

His stats and everything else are much more comparable to Kobe than Kobe's are to Jordan's. I'd roll with Glyde.

Unstoppabull
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Kobe's most likely better than Clyde

NugzHeat3
07-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Drexler is every bit in Kobe's league. He led the Blazers past Magic's Lakers to the finals, not once, but twice. At this stage of both their careers, Clyde wasn't only the better athlete, but a better passer, rebounder and defender (his outside shot got better over time).

Drexler's stats and everything else are much more comparable to Kobe than Kobe's are to Jordan's.
Clyde Drexler never led Porland past Magic's Lakers. Not once, much less twice.

In fact, that was the knock on both their finals appearances. People used to say they got lucky PHX took LA out in 1990 and that LA would've beat them in 1992 had Magic not retired.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-13-2012, 04:30 PM

In fact, that was the knock on both their finals appearances. People used to say they got lucky PHX took LA out in 1990 and that LA would've beat them in 1992 had Magic not retired.

Slight typo on my part. I meant that he led Portland past Magic Johnson and to the Finals twice. Even then, though, as you said, Magic had retired just before the '92 season (Portland beat LA in the first round that year).

thelucifer69
07-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Clyde Drexler for sure

better all around player much more efficient and healthier

Kobe is just not efficient scorer he shoot 43%

most ppl choose Kobe cause love for him and they rarely watch Clyde Drexler play don't know what kind player he was

DKLaker
07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Anyone picking Drexler is a moron.....end thread :banghead:

Add.... Drexler had to bandwagon a title joining a champion, couldn't lead.
There is no possible legitimate argument to be made

Only 1 All-NBA first team, 2 2nd team and 2 3rd team :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Full Name: Clyde Austin Drexler
Born: 6/22/62 in New Orleans
High School: Sterling (Houston)
College: Houston
Drafted by: Portland Trail Blazers (1983)
Transaction: Traded to Houston, 2/14/95
Nickname: Clyde the Glide Height: 6-7; Weight: 222 lbs.
Honors: Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (2004); NBA champ (1995); All-NBA First Team (1992); All-NBA Second Team (1988, '91); All-NBA Third Team (1990, '95); 10-time All-Star; One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996); Olympic gold medalist (1992).

Cowboy Thunder
07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Clyde easily.

He was really ballin in 1992. Kobe was better peak to peak though.

juju151111
07-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Clyde was 2nd in Mvp voting I believe. He was the better defender,rebounder,and passer. Clyde wasn't just a open court guy. He had a post game

Da_Realist
07-13-2012, 04:47 PM

People say that because Portland lost to the Lakers in 91. That's the only time Portland played LA in the playoffs when they were good enough to beat them. Had Portland beaten them in 91, no one would question their Finals runs in 90 and 92. You just can't lose that series having homecourt advantage. LA never trailed in that series and never allowed Portland to steal one in LA. Magic's Lakers basically sonned the defending conference champs and went back to the Finals...AGAIN.

Unfortunately for basketball and those Blazers, Magic retired before the beginning of the next season and never gave the Blazers another chance. That would have been interesting...

I see why Clyde is still sensitive about Magic.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
This season Kobe had the highest usage rate in the league by far but ranked 160th in shooting efficiency.

Gimme Drexler

DuMa
07-13-2012, 04:57 PM
92 Drex > 12 Kobe

Sakkreth
07-13-2012, 05:08 PM
92 Drexler vs 12 Kobe, it's Drexler no question.

kennethgriffin
07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
people saying drexler are dumb...kobe is twice as dangerous a player.... measuring a player based on just 1 more assist or 1 more rebound is dumb

kobes the more polished player
kobes the more clutch player
kobes the better defender
kobe draws more double teams
kobes the better post player
kobes the smarter player
kobe has the better left hand
kobe has more desire
kobe has proven himself as a leader
clydes a ring chaser and failed as lead dog

the stats are nearly the same and both are 1st team all nba... this is the only thing thats close

everyone on this forum who says clyde have no clue when it comes to all time greatness

clydes a top 35-40 player at best

kobes in the top 6-7 discussion

:facepalm

mehyaM24
07-13-2012, 05:25 PM
people saying drexler are dumb...kobe is twice as dangerous a player.... measuring a player based on just 1 more assist or 1 more rebound is dumb

kobes the smarter player
kobe has more desire

the stats are nearly the same and both are 1st team all nba... this is the only thing thats close

everyone on this forum who says clyde have no clue when it comes to all time greatness

Jordan faced 6'7 Clyde who is more athletic than any SG in this era..

Clyde 92 playoff ave 26 ppg 7 reb 7 ass..

Kobe in his NBA finals career ave 25 ppg on 41 percent shooting

41 percent against 6'2 Eric snow...shaq and magic are far better lakers than kobe.....

shaq has 3 finals mvps as a laker,so does magic

how can kobe be considered the best laker when shaq was better all 8 yrs?....drexler wins easily.

DatAsh
07-13-2012, 05:25 PM

kobes the smarter player
kobe has more desire

Nobody is saying Clyde > Kobe all time:facepalm , at least I hope not. People are saying 92 Clyde > 12 Kobe, and while I'm not sure I agree with that notion(I honestly don't know who I'd pick), it's certainly a debate.

Clyde was the better passer, rebounder, defender, and was more efficient from the floor, while Kobe was the better scorer and probably the better leader.

Clyde had more team success, but he also had a better team.

Juges8932
07-13-2012, 05:28 PM

If you don't watch Kobe's games or know his style, then you really shouldn't comment. Kobe is the guy that hustles the most on the Lakers along with Artest. He is always diving and willing to sacrifice his body for the ball. That has always been a big part of who he is as a player. He also rebounds quite well, especially considering he is down there with two seven footers. This season at his age and with who he played, he was top 6 for SGs in rebounds and top 5 for all of guards in offensive rebounds. He averaged the most assists for a SG (tied with D-Wade).

I'm not here to argue between '92 Drexler vs '12 Kobe because honestly, I never saw '92 Drexler play aside from select games. If I were a betting man, I'd say you were too young to have seen him play in '92 as well.

Speak little, listen much. You might be surprised at what you learn.

rawimpact
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Why dont you guys compare their USA stats...

kennethgriffin
07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Jordan faced 6'7 Clyde who is more athletic than any SG in this era..

Clyde 92 playoff ave 26 ppg 7 reb 7 ass..

Kobe in his NBA finals career ave 25 ppg on 41 percent shooting

41 percent against 6'2 Eric snow...shaq and magic are far better lakers than kobe.....

shaq has 3 finals mvps as a laker,so does magic

how can kobe be considered the best laker when shaq was better all 8 yrs?....drexler wins easily.

i can see how you would translate a persons averages vs 1 team over a week and a half to another persons averages vs a completely different team both from 2 decades ago

totally legit

honestly you stat geeks are dumb

example " so wilt averaged so and so against so and so in the year 1970 during this week in that month...and it means he must be better than this guy who averaged less against this other team in 2012"

seriously .... you have to watch the games people... stat sheets dont tell the entire story... and 1% here and there, 1 rebound less or higher, or 1 assists here or there or anywhere compared to that of someone a decade before or a decade after against a different team with a different pace is NOT the way you judge tallent

fu********************! :facepalm

Smoke117
07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I've always found Drexler to be overrated in that 92 season and in general, but he was definitely a better player than 2012 Kobe. Also that 2nd team all defensive nod for Kobe is a bunch of horse shit and means absolutely nothing to me as far as picking between them. Drexler in 1992 was with out a doubt a better defensive player than Kobe was in 2012 whether he was on an all defensive team or not.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 05:34 PM
[B

kobes in the top 6-7 discussion [/B]

This just shows you lack basic reading comprehension. The title to the thread is 1992 Drexler vs 2012 Kobe. It isn't a comparison of their whole careers.

RIF

mehyaM24
07-13-2012, 05:42 PM
i can see how you would translate a persons averages vs 1 team over a week and a half to another persons averages vs a completely different team both from 2 decades ago

totally legit

honestly you stat geeks are dumb

example " so wilt averaged so and so against so and so in the year 1970 during this week in that month...and it means he must be better than this guy who averaged less against this other team in 2012"

seriously .... you have to watch the games people... stat sheets dont tell the entire story... and 1% here and there, 1 rebound less or higher, or 1 assists here or there or anywhere compared to that of someone a decade before or a decade after against a different team with a different pace is NOT the way you judge tallent

fu********************! :facepalm

actually,kobe is one of the dumbest players to ever play the game…he is the alltime leader in taking bad,forced shots

53 missed gamewinners,most alltime
kobe-30 misses in a game,nba record(11-7-02 vs boston)
kobe- only active player with 10,000+ misses
kobe- .414% in his finals career
04 finals

what….u dont believe the stats i posted or what i said?…..if u dont believe the stats,LOOK IT UP……go ahead….im asking you too….:lol ….please,look it up…..
kobe= failure…..he was outscored by reggie miller,jalen rose,and austin croshere in the 2000 finals……look that shit up!...

Noob Saibot
07-13-2012, 05:46 PM

^this. Oldbe ain't f*ing with prime Drexler.

tontoz
07-13-2012, 05:50 PM
This season Kobe took;

5 threes per game shooting 30%
8 shots per game from 16-23 feet (most in the league) shooting 41%

That is chucking pure and simple. For perspective Kobe took 3 more shots per game from 16-23 feet than Durant.

StateOfMind12
07-13-2012, 05:51 PM
If you don't watch Kobe's games or know his style, then you really shouldn't comment. Kobe is the guy that hustles the most on the Lakers along with Artest. He is always diving and willing to sacrifice his body for the ball. That has always been a big part of who he is as a player. He also rebounds quite well, especially considering he is down there with two seven footers. This season at his age and with who he played, he was top 6 for SGs in rebounds and top 5 for all of guards in offensive rebounds. He averaged the most assists for a SG (tied with D-Wade).

I'm not here to argue between '92 Drexler vs '12 Kobe because honestly, I never saw '92 Drexler play aside from select games. If I were a betting man, I'd say you were too young to have seen him play in '92 as well.

Speak little, listen much. You might be surprised at what you learn.
This isn't 2001 or 2008 Kobe anymore, this is 2012 Kobe and I know how he plays these days. When someone sets a screen against him, he gives up and does nothing. He always guards the opponent's worst offensive player because he doesn't want to play defense and to conserve energy. I'm sorry but that is not hustling. He also doesn't take charges and says he never will so there goes your theory about him sacrificing his body.

The only type of hustle Kobe does these days is box out on rebounds but that's about it. I suppose he does dive for balls from time to time but like I said he doesn't play defense at all, he gives up on screens, and he always guards some scrub.

Kobe didn't lack hustle at all in 2001 or 2008 because he played pretty hard then but those days are beyond past him. It is exactly why I don't like the way he plays these days when he use to be one of my favorite players.

rawimpact
07-13-2012, 06:01 PM
actually,kobe is one of the dumbest players to ever play the game…he is the alltime leader in taking bad,forced shots

53 missed gamewinners,most alltime
kobe-30 misses in a game,nba record(11-7-02 vs boston)
kobe- only active player with 10,000+ misses
kobe- .414% in his finals career
04 finals

what….u dont believe the stats i posted or what i said?…..if u dont believe the stats,LOOK IT UP……go ahead….im asking you too….:lol ….please,look it up…..
kobe= failure…..he was outscored by reggie miller,jalen rose,and austin croshere in the 2000 finals……look that shit up!...

First stat is misleading, he has had far many more attempts thats why...
Second stat is true, THE worst game of his career, but lets review this. Starting five included:
Devin George
Fisher
Samake Walker
Horry
Bench:
Shaw
Slava
Pargo
Tracy Murra
Soumaila Samake

one of the worst lineups in history, yet kobe finished the game with 41 pts and lost by 3

Third stat, who leads most makes?
Fourth stat: What's his winning percentage and how great were the defenders relative to others?

And last stat, yes he did horrible in his first finals but lets see how he came back the following year against the same team...

27 ppg...
9 rpg...
6 apg...

i rest my case

KG215
07-13-2012, 06:05 PM
1992 Drexler over 2012 Kobe, for sure. Obviously Kobe is the better player historically, but going off these two versions, it's 1992 Drexler.

I'm too young to remember Drexler's peak years. I only remember playing for the Rockets. But his prime and peak years were a lot better than I think some posters realize. In the five seasons from 1987-1988 to 1991-1992 he averaged 25-7-6-2-1 on 49% FG. He was a really, really good player. I know that's not the point of this thread, but still.

mehyaM24
07-13-2012, 06:11 PM
yes he did horrible in his first finals but lets see how he came back the following year against the same team...

27 ppg...
9 rpg...
6 apg...

i rest my case

...i was rooting for the lakers in 00,01,and 02....

as a laker fan,be happy about the 2010 title....

but if you are a kobe fan,feel embarrassed to know that your hero keeps playing like shit on a white sock in big game after big game...

shit,he was 0-2 in gamewinners in the 2010 playoffs.....yet 2-0 in those games because gasol and artest put the bricks back in...in artests case,he caught kobes airball....

lmao

pauk
07-13-2012, 06:32 PM
1992 Drexler was better than 2012 Kobe...

Season: 25.0 / 6.6 / 6.7 @ 47% FG
Playoffs: 26.3 / 7.4 / 7.0 @ 47% FG
PER - 24
Went all the way to the Finals that year, lost 4-2 vs Bulls, he led that team to the 2nd best record in the NBA, finished 2nd on the MVP voting, Michael Jordan won the MVP over him, was also ofcourse 1st all-nba...

This Drexler and year by him would be enough to name him "The 2nd best player in the NBA" in 2012 right there with Durant who had an identical season & outcome...

rawimpact
07-13-2012, 06:35 PM
...i was rooting for the lakers in 00,01,and 02....

as a laker fan,be happy about the 2010 title....

but if you are a kobe fan,feel embarrassed to know that your hero keeps playing like shit on a white sock in big game after big game...

shit,he was 0-2 in gamewinners in the 2010 playoffs.....yet 2-0 in those games because gasol and artest put the bricks back in...in artests case,he caught kobes airball....

lmao

No, i am a laker fan over kobe fan, hell a shaq fan before kobe... but i dislike it when peope dont give credit when it's due. I just gave you a finals series where he played amazing and you decide to ignore it... typical troll behavior.

Calabis
07-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Kobe's most likely better than Clyde

Sorry, 34 year old Kobe is not better than 92 Clyde...I think people swear Kobe is still at 28-29

G-Funk
07-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Drexler was one of the most overrated players ever

Linspired
07-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Drexler was one of the most overrated players ever

please explain

nobody is saying drexler is better than kobe here. but drexler in 1992 was better than kobe 2012

Shep
07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
easily drexler. should not be up for discussion

WockaVodka
07-13-2012, 10:01 PM

If you don't agree with him, why don't you just refute what he said that was incorrect?

I agree with him on this comparison and it would appear that most people in this thread agree with us as well.

stickfigure87
07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
wasn't clyde up for mvp that season? that's why jordan had to lay it on him game 1 of the finals cause he was upset at the comparisons?

kobe >> clyde most years

92 clyde > 12 kobe

07-13-2012, 10:09 PM
If you don't agree with him, why don't you just refute what he said that was incorrect?

I agree with him on this comparison and it would appear that most people in this thread agree with us as well.

And how many people on here do you think clearly remember Drexler in 1992?

But, his numbers!!

Here I can troll too; What about pace!?? OMG THAT WASNT FACTORED IN!!

It's all opinions in these sorts of stupid imbecilic moot 'discussions', but clearly Kobe is still a better player.. It doesn't need to be proven, you're allowed to have dumbass opinions.

LAClipsFan33
07-13-2012, 10:13 PM
I watched both players live for both seasons. It is clearly Clyde...

Kobe has many seasons where he was better than Clyde ever was...2012 isn't it

StarJordan
07-13-2012, 10:46 PM
92 drexler: younger, more explosive leaper than kobe, and better shooting percentage

WockaVodka
07-13-2012, 11:09 PM
And how many people on here do you think clearly remember Drexler in 1992?

But, his numbers!!

Here I can troll too; What about pace!?? OMG THAT WASNT FACTORED IN!!

It's all opinions in these sorts of stupid imbecilic moot 'discussions', but clearly Kobe is still a better player.. It doesn't need to be proven, you're allowed to have dumbass opinions.
Kobe is clearly better, yet the majority of this thread picked Clyde as the better player. That makes a whole lot of sense but looking at your username I'm sure you have no bias with Kobe.

RaininTwos
07-13-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm choosing Kobe. This is easy.

fpliii
07-13-2012, 11:16 PM
I wanted to say Clyde due to less mileage, but I honestly don't think I can say that. Just rewatched those Blazers 90, 91, 92 playoff runs a couple of weeks back, and with them fresh on my mind, gotta pick Kobe.

:confusedshrug: