PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Getting Blocked?

L3B120N J4M35
07-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Everytime i play with my bro ill drive right and ill get the step and go for the lay up he'll get the block off even if pull back my right hand far. and he'll even get the block if i drive right then like hesitate and go up for the lay up. how can i avoid this

C_lake2802
07-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Ur drive is to pre-determined and easy to read. Give some hesistations, use the left-side for a lay up. shoot jumpers to free urself up for a drive so u can stopped getting owned

Pushxx
07-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Get to your spot faster and/or use more dribble moves to get the step on your man.

mobbdeep
07-15-2012, 08:59 PM
or triple fake like Kobe and try to shoot over him. How tall are u and how tall is he

Rake2204
07-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Avoiding getting blocked has to do with a number of factors. It can be tough to diagnose your problem without seeing how you're getting blocked but typically, outside of disproportionate size, age, and weight differences, here are some ways to avoid the block:

1) Use your body as a shield: I think this is the most important tip. I teach it to my players by having them drive baseline without any defense. Many players will inevitably drive that baseline facing the rim the entire way. They'll jump and attempt a layup, again, with their feet pointed at the rim.

Next, I'll place a dummy defender at the rim, standing with his arms straight up, then I'll have my players attack in the same manner. What happens to those trying to finish a layup from the baseline with their feet pointed directly at the basket? Well, there's no barrier between the ball and the defender's hands. If that defender jumps at all (or not) it's often an easy block.

To make my point, I'll then have my players drive and square their feet to the backboard before rising, thus placing their entire body between the ball and their defender. I'll have that defender actively attempt to block the shot, at which point they'll either commit a foul and fail, or still complete the block, but often while fouling or through a great effort. Either way, the point becomes clear. Correctly using one's body (from anywhere on the court, not just on baseline drives) can often neutralize many physical advantages the defender may have to begin with. Here's another example of how the correct placement of body can assist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbITKv5OEkQ#t=3m47s. I say experiment with the flow of your game and how you can effectively use your body without overdoing it (i.e. don't blatantly lower shoulder and clear).

2. Use Correct Shot for Situation: I have two little brothers, aged 16 and 14. The 14 year old is routinely dominated by the 16 year old, largely because on his forays to the basket, he attacks with little speed and attempts shots that do not fit the situation. For instance, from the right wing he'll attack with a lefty dribble, then attempt to finish with his right hand, more or less shooting it directly into his defender's arms.

To tie into the previous tip, many of his poor shot types tend to work out so poorly due to the lack of body contact usage prior to his shot. Often, he'll attack looking to avoid his defender by all means possible, which then allows the defender to dictate a lot of the action. My littlest brother will drive to a spot, only to have that space already covered, where he'll either be blocked, or slowly pump fake, think, then get blocked.

3. Don't Fear Your Defender: Again tying into the last tip, avoiding contact by all means is doing the defender a favor. It's allowing them to come toward you however they see fit. However, if the offensive player dictates the play by going at their defender (instead of trying to stay entirely away from them), the offensive player has much better control of the situation. Many shot blockers thrive off of the empty space between themselves and the offensive player. It allows them to build up their spring and attack the shot. Again, an offensive player who's able to become adept at knowing how and when to create contact (without sacrificing the ability to make the shot) will have a much lower chance of being rejected.

4. Decisive Moves, Decisive Pump-Fakes: If used correctly, one-on-one is a great vehicle for developing new fakes, moves, and finishes. Instead of attempting the same old tried-and-true moves (or tried-and-fail), be open to thinking of new ways to elude your defender, and try them out. Pump fake when you know your brother is sure he's got a block. Drive strong when you know he's right on your tail, then give him a Rondo pump fake at the rim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJEbbS1wY0Y).

Experiment, but whatever you do, do it at full speed. There's not a whole lot of things worse than that moment in one-on-one where you pick up your dribble, realize the defender has you closed out, then you pump-fake half heartedly a few times before throwing a wild fallaway. If you fake, or if you lose your dribble, make a definitive counter move.

Overdrive
07-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Experiment, but whatever you do, do it at full speed. There's not a whole lot of things worse than that moment in one-on-one where you pick up your dribble, realize the defender has you closed out, then you pump-fake half heartedly a few times before throwing a wild fallaway. If you fake, or if you lose your dribble, make a definitive counter move.

I actually think some stuff has to be learned at slower "pace" than game pace.
Don't know how they're called in english, but moves in the mold of the dream shake are pretty tough to pull off first in game speed since you'll travel for sure.

My advice is to do layup drills on a constant basis, learn to know when you usually pick up your dribble. Concentrate on your feet not on your arms.
Defense is focusing on where you go not where your shot goes since you'll shoot at the hoop, you're brothers knows where you go. Learn to know how you move consciously.

Fake him. He blocks you, because what you're doing is to obvious. If your pivot foot is still set when the ball is picked up upon moving to the hoop, fake the layup, pull the ball back, watch your brother flying. He'll bite, but don't do it too often.

Also try to move to the left side. Learn to dribble with the left hand, learn some post moves from the left block, slow your game down when needed. Your first step, which seems to be faster than your brothers lateral quickness, doesn't help you, because he knows where you go.

Do a step back crossover instead of picking up the ball when you drive right. He might bite on that, too.

SourPatchKids
07-21-2012, 06:16 PM
The floater is a useful shot to have in your arsenal.

Rake2204
07-31-2012, 02:50 PM
I actually think some stuff has to be learned at slower "pace" than game pace.
Don't know how they're called in english, but moves in the mold of the dream shake are pretty tough to pull off first in game speed since you'll travel for sure.
Yes, the point you make is a good one. Perhaps I could have worded it differently. What I was attempting to get across was the idea of always improving the moves one is developing. After establishing a move, continue working to make it faster and more responsive. I've come across many players who have clearly developed a nice little arsenal for themselves, however, each move seems to have stunted in growth since its initial inception. I believe one can always be sharper, better, faster, and stronger with any moves within their own arsenal and it can be quite detrimental to rest on one's laurels.

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 11:08 PM
pump fake, gotta sell it

Lebron23
08-06-2012, 11:10 AM
The floater is a useful shot to have in your arsenal.

That's one of my favorite go to moves.

TMacMagic
08-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Reverse layup boi, use the rim for protection.

Burgz V2
08-06-2012, 08:20 PM
using your body as a shield is the first thing you should do

when you jump, jump into his chest, he wont be able to jump as high and you'll be able to get it off

if that fails learn how to play the glass using floaters, it's a challenge at first but once you get the hang of it they can be pretty deadly

L3B120N J4M35
08-08-2012, 10:54 PM
or triple fake like Kobe and try to shoot over him. How tall are u and how tall is he

hes got 4 inches on me.

and thanks guys. hopefully ill improve and all that. i did try going to the left but a couple of times ill go for a finger roll (left hand) and itll be left short. Also whenever i drive right then stop and pump fake and he don't fall for it, i try to reverse but ill always hit the bottom of the rim :confusedshrug:

SourPatchKids
08-08-2012, 10:55 PM
hes got 4 inches on me.

and thanks guys. hopefully ill improve and all that. i did try going to the left but a couple of times ill go for a finger roll (left hand) and itll be left short. Also whenever i drive right then stop and pump fake and he don't fall for it, i try to reverse but ill always hit the bottom of the rim :confusedshrug:
Learn Trevor Dunbar's ways.

L3B120N J4M35
08-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Learn Trevor Dunbar's ways.

dang that dudes tooo ****ing beast. only if i had handles like that dude :bowdown: