PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo says Lin's contract is "ridiculous"

mobbdeep
07-15-2012, 12:05 PM
He talked to media today and said it's not up to him if the Knicks sign Lin or not.

"It's up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract."

Shepseskaf
07-15-2012, 12:07 PM
And here we go......

Punpun
07-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Multiple Source ?

:yaohappy:

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 12:08 PM
So $20-24 million a year for a player who can barely give you a .500 ball club isn't ridiculous? :confusedshrug:

Dwyane Rose
07-15-2012, 12:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kaODr.jpg

Faptastrophe
07-15-2012, 12:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kaODr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IK0pB.png

mobbdeep
07-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Do u think that is a diss to Lin? Or is he speaking the truth?

PJR
07-15-2012, 12:16 PM
When keeing it real goes wrong...:oldlol:

Real Men Wear Green
07-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see a confirmation of this. I thought it was taboo for a player to criticize when a fellow player gets paid.

mobbdeep
07-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Tyson Chandler said this

It's a tough call. Ultimately, they've got to do what's best for the organization."

niko
07-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see a confirmation of this. I thought it was taboo for a player to criticize when a fellow player gets paid.
He was referring to the structure of the third year and the penalties, not the total value. It basically was a conversation where they pulled out the one line. But he did say it.

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
It's the Knicks you're talking about.

We have the dumbest players and front office management staff in the league for the past decade.

mobbdeep
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Well I think the NBA Union or player association would not appreciate Melo saying this and David Stern and the owners LOVE it!

PejaNowitzki
07-15-2012, 12:26 PM
If that's true then there's confirmation that Carmelo is a little bitch, even moreso than this showed.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4410889144887288309

kennethgriffin
07-15-2012, 12:26 PM
melo and fans forgetting about lins market value... dude will make the knicks hundreds of millions...

lin will easly be voted an allstar next year if he stays healthy

Faptastrophe
07-15-2012, 12:27 PM
https://twitter.com/rodboone

"To be clear, Melo wasn’t taking shot at Lin, he was taking a shot at Rockets for ridiculous $14.9M balloon in Year 3."

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Faptastrophe]https://twitter.com/rodboone

"[B]To be clear, Melo wasn

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Which is a shot at Lin. Paying a high scoring small forward the max while giving up most of your team is a lot more ridiculous than screwing James Dolan up the ass.
You forgot to mention that Melo gets you a .500 team with that max contract. :lol

LA_Showtime
07-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Which is a shot at Lin. Paying a high scoring small forward the max while giving up most of your team is a lot more ridiculous than screwing James Dolan up the ass.

Not really. Don't think we've ever seen a contract that back loaded before. I know people are killing Morey ethically, but the guy could also be considered a genius because it looks as though they're going to get their man.

mobbdeep
07-15-2012, 12:39 PM
More Melo on Lin from Rod Boones Twitter. He is a beat writer for NY paper

More Melo on Lin: "I'd love to see him back, but I think he has to do what's best for him right now

dunksby
07-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Everybody is getting paid in NY why the hate?

niko
07-15-2012, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Faptastrophe]https://twitter.com/rodboone

"[B]To be clear, Melo wasn

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Not really. Don't think we've ever seen a contract that back loaded before. I know people are killing Morey ethically, but the guy could also be considered a genius because it looks as though they're going to get their man.

We haven't seen the backloaded contract because it's a result of the new CBA. Asik has it too. Too early to say if he's a genius. If Linsanity wasn't just a flash in the pan than he is. If Lin doesn't live up to the 3rd year or even the first two than he isn't not to mention Asik.

StroShow4
07-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Unless the Rockets are able to execute some sort of Dwight Howard deal, I find it highly unlikely that Morey will look like a genius a few years down the line.

Jeremy Lin probably won't be worth all this money. I'm not even convinced that he'll be an above-average starter.

LamarOdom
07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
So $20-24 million a year for a player who can barely give you a .500 ball club isn't ridiculous? :confusedshrug:

At least he has never missed the playoffs.

xfactor99
07-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Someone ask Melo about Amare's contract :confusedshrug:

DaSeba5
07-15-2012, 01:09 PM
http://imgur.com/tCp90.gif

Rowe
07-15-2012, 01:10 PM

We gave up Gallo, Chandler, & Mozgov.

Until either 3 of them do anything notable beyond signing contracts, let me know. They're the same players they were in New York. "Role Players" who you can't rely on to even do 1 thing each night. For Gallo its his inconsistent outside shot, for Chandler its everything, & for Mozgov we don't really know because he never plays.

If Melo didn't earn a "Max extension" then tell me who else did?

Im so tired by you guys continue to beat this same drum about how the "Knicks gave up all of their assets" for guys who had no chance of doing anything of note. Its a far better value on the court & off the court to bring in a star player to get it done. Now that we're actually building the team instead of stockpiling expirers to keep cap space, we will finally see how far this team can go. What everyone does know is that Amare wasn't leading Gallo, Chandler, & Fields anywhere maybe not even the Playoffs.

martycrane
07-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Unless the Rockets are able to execute some sort of Dwight Howard deal, I find it highly unlikely that Morey will look like a genius a few years down the line.

Jeremy Lin probably won't be worth all this money. I'm not even convinced that he'll be an above-average starter.

no question homes it dont matter if they used a loophole they still overpaid lin and asik so they got the worst of it.

in a few yrs daryl morey gonna need a new job

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 01:11 PM

I'd hope so but for all the hype and money he gets he should be leading teams into contention.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 01:13 PM
If Melo didn't earn a "Max extension" then tell me who else did?

I wouldn't want him on a max contract that's for sure. He's a high scoring small forward not someone that is going to lead you to the promised land.

PejaNowitzki
More Melo on Lin from Rod Boones Twitter. He is a beat writer for NY paper

More Melo on Lin: "I'd love to see him back, but I think he has to do what's best for him right now

Translation="Hopefully that's the last I'll see of that slant-eyed mother****er who tried to steal MY team!"

AK47DR91
Is a guy who can only gets you to the playoffs and lose REALLY worth max contract, $20+ per season? :confusedshrug:

Rowe
07-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Because the Knicks made the terrible mistake of letting Houston know they'd match "anything under a billion". So all Houston did was revise a contract they hadn't even worked out with Lin and dropped the poison pill in the contract to screw us.

Dolan isn't a cheap guy, but he believes entirely in ethics. While he is known to overpay guys left and right, he is also known to be the guy cutting checks to send players out of town who he thinks aren't appreciative of the situation.

ripthekik
07-15-2012, 01:14 PM
this past season.. isn't Lin without Melo's record better than Melo without Lin or when Melo returned? :lol

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't want him on a max contract that's for sure. He's a high scoring small forward not someone that is going to lead you to the promised land.
IMO, Melo is worth is worth about $15-$18 million a year.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Thats such a vague statement.

The point is we're taking Dallas' approach of surrounding Dirk with every bit as much talent as they could financially put together. That is how they finally broke through and won a ring after 10-12 years, and thats our only chance of doing it as well.

The solution should be for Melo not to have to shoulder the load every single game by having to score 25-35 points because nobody on the offense can contribute. We are trying to have a good enough team around him to which he can simply be the guy who puts us over the edge like Dirk does in Dallas.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 01:26 PM
IMO, Melo is worth is worth about $15-$18 million a year.

Which is about as much as LeBron & Wade makes.

The only difference is Melo has never become a Free Agent, so he took an extension for 3 years at a higher salary. He would've been paid that much had be come a Free Agent but his deal would've been at 5 years or so. When his contract is up in 2 more years he'll have an opportunity to sign a similar kind of deal, although I've got my doubts it would still be in NY.

This is one of the worst & dumbest fanbases in professional sports who make Philadelphia Eagles fans look "reasonable" with such bipolar opinions. In a matter of 3 weeks it went from the screams of "Trade Melo for Gerald Wallace, Jamal Crawford, & picks" to "Melo da Gawd for MVP".

I know I'm ranting but I dont care.

ElPigto
07-15-2012, 01:27 PM

The risk is worth it though.

Multiple scenarios can play out for the Rockets and every single one of them would be a win/win situation for me.

Scenario 1

Rockets get both Lin/Asik at about 8.3M a piece. They still have the cap space to make an offer for Dwight and take back two bad contracts. This is granted they waive all their partially guaranteed/unguaranteed players (which they would, or they could trade them to the Magic if the Magic see some potential in them). In this scenario they end up making the trade with the Magic, we get a year to convince Howard this is the place to be. Whether Howard wants to be here or not does not matter to me because at the end of the day all Howard has shown me is that he is all about the money and I truly don't believe he will walk away from 25M extra. At the end of the day, we have a decent team around Howard, we don't give up a lot of assets to get him and we actually end up being a good team plus Howard re-signs at the end of season.

Result: WIN

Scenario 2

We get both Lin/Asik. We still get Howard. He ends up bolting at the end of season and we are stuck with two shitty contracts. At the end of day of the day, we will still suck enough to get a good draft pick and our young players will get playing time as well.

Scenario 3

We get neither Lin/Asik, we get Howard and crappy contracts, we still have plenty of cap space at the end of the season and we try to entice Chris Paul to come over with Howard. If Chris doesn't come, Howard finds someone he rather be with, he bolts, we've lost some young talent but not all, yet we still suck enough to get a good lottery pick.

I could go on with other scenarios, but my whole point is, we can get Howard whether or not we sign Lin/Asik. We can also absorb bad contracts. It has been stated by Rockets reporter Feigen that we will not be giving up the world for Howard, but rather some young pieces/Martin/Toronto guaranteed lottery pick/Dallas pick. We will also not take all their shitty contracts, just one. At this point, the Magic have hardly any leverage since Howard put them in a corner. Whether we get Howard or not, it's whatever, we either end up being good or we end up sucking a lot and actually rebuild through the draft. If we get Lin/Asik, they might end up being good and this speeds up our rebuilding process or they might end up being just decent role players and their contracts kill us for a couple of years, but they are nothing like a poison pill. Proper planning has been done for this scenario, therefore we still don't lose, at worst we still suck enough and keep rebuilding through the draft.

Bottomline, we are in a win/win situation with an uncertain, but good future. I'm not doubting our strategy and I actually like it. At least we aren't signing other players that would simply be band aids but rather we are signing players with break out potential.

NumberSix
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
http://cdn1.lostateminor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Glass-House-3.jpg

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Thats such a vague statement.

The point is we're taking Dallas' approach of surrounding Dirk with every bit as much talent as they could financially put together. That is how they finally broke through and won a ring after 10-12 years, and thats our only chance of doing it as well.

The solution should be for Melo not to have to shoulder the load every single game by having to score 25-35 points because nobody on the offense can contribute. We are trying to have a good enough team around him to which he can simply be the guy who puts us over the edge like Dirk does in Dallas.

The difference is Dirk is a once in a lifetime talent while Carmelo is just the latest in a long line of high scoring small forwards. He's always been billed as much more but that just isn't the reality. Cuban is also a much better owner. Dallas has been one of the top teams for a long time. It was just a matter of getting the right chemistry and everything falling into place at the right time. NY is a playoff contender. My hats off! :cheers:

Rowe
07-15-2012, 01:31 PM
this past season.. isn't Lin without Melo's record better than Melo without Lin or when Melo returned? :lol

Jeremy Lin had a good 12 games this season.

Thats all that needs to be said.

Im pretty sure Dan Gadzuric had a better record than all of them since he joined us in time for the Playoff run.

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Which is about as much as LeBron & Wade makes.

The only difference is Melo has never become a Free Agent, so he took an extension for 3 years at a higher salary. He would've been paid that much had be come a Free Agent but his deal would've been at 5 years or so. When his contract is up in 2 more years he'll have an opportunity to sign a similar kind of deal, although I've got my doubts it would still be in NY.

This is one of the worst & dumbest fanbases in professional sports who make Philadelphia Eagles fans look "reasonable" with such bipolar opinions. In a matter of 3 weeks it went from the screams of "Trade Melo for Gerald Wallace, Jamal Crawford, & picks" to "Melo da Gawd for MVP".

I know I'm ranting but I dont care.
LeBron is severely underpaid.

Lebron should be making the $24M per season contract, not Melo. Wade and Melo in the $15-18M range is reasonable.

dak121
07-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Hopefully the Bulls wisen up and deal Deng for him next February after the NY media/fans blame him for all that is wrong with the Knicks, NBA, life, economy and everything else.

He'll be chased out of that town eventually. Might as well happen next season.

MeLO MvP 15
07-15-2012, 01:39 PM
This is what ESPN and this current sports media has come to...

Seriously listen to every player/coach/GM interview of the season and you find maybe 5 interesting pieces of information because all these guys do is just give the robot, politically correct answer. One guy speaks the truth and gets killed for it.

Listen, I love Lin... but what Melo said is 100% true. That contract is ridiculous. We will still match it (as we should), but it'll be massive in the 3rd year.

I'd take a candid, albeit controversial honest interview over those bullshit politically correct quotes.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 01:45 PM
The difference is Dirk is a once in a lifetime talent while Carmelo is just the latest in a long line of high scoring small forwards.
A "once in a lifetime talent" who was ringless until his 14th season. It happens. While Dirk & even a player like KG definetly will be ranked higher in NBA history for their achievements/talent during their primes, most of that stuff isn't remembered without winning a Championship in that span of time. After multiple All Star/All NBA honors nothing really matters unless you win a Championship. Thats all I care about as well.

While you categorize Melo as simply just a "high scoring Small Forward", you fail to mention that he is far more skilled and has been far more successful in his seasons than any of the guys before him with that same tag. I understand that the 1 word to be used to describe his strengths is "scoring", but there is an Elite ability in there that allows him to carry a team.

Cuban is also a much better owner. Dallas has been one of the top teams for a long time. It was just a matter of getting the right chemistry and everything falling into place at the right time. NY is a playoff contender. My hats off! :cheers:

Next season is the first season in nearly 15 years almost where I can honestly say that I feel this team can not only make the Playoffs, but can go further if those stars do align. Will they? Thats left to be speculated.

Mark Cuban & Donnie Nelson are the best in the game at what they do, I'm not downplaying what they have accomplished.

However, this Jeremy Lin thing would be the first time Dolan has made an actual basketball related move by measuring risk & reward. He's always taken the risk and been happy with any reward, but this time he seems to be consulting people with better basketball minds than him.

dunksby
07-15-2012, 01:46 PM

Lebron should be making the $24M per season contract, not Melo. Wade and Melo in the $15-18M range is reasonable.
LeBron took a paycut it's not like they are not paying him enough.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 01:47 PM

LeBron became a Free Agent.

He could've signed an extension for just as much, if not more salary but he took those "sacrifices" to form a Big 3 in Miami. Not to mention he makes more in endorsements than Melo makes alone in salary + endorsements.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 01:56 PM
This is what ESPN and this current sports media has come to...

Seriously listen to every player/coach/GM interview of the season and you find maybe 5 interesting pieces of information because all these guys do is just give the robot, politically correct answer. One guy speaks the truth and gets killed for it.

Listen, I love Lin... but what Melo said is 100% true. That contract is ridiculous. We will still match it (as we should), but it'll be massive in the 3rd year.

I'd take a candid, albeit controversial honest interview over those bullshit politically correct quotes.

Melo responded with a politically correct statement because thats what he's almost forced to do. I agree with you 100% but people take offense to Melo for all of the politically correct statements he makes. Its because he never speaks his mind publicly or says anything "controversial" for writers to sell a story on.

The media wants so badly to have Melo as a villian figure and he just doesn't fall for it anymore, espescially after he changed his life off the court. Somewhere along the line they have tried to create some sort of imaginary character in Melo that he hates his teammates, they hate him, and he hates all of his coaches. Its so silly to to me.

The media has tried to question whether he could share the spotlight with Amare or they would have a major falling out and bicker in the media and on the floor. Ignoring the fact they wanted to play together as teammates. Then they tried to run with the Melo vs Jeremy Lin story, ignoring the confirmed reports that Melo is the one who wanted Lin to get more minutes at PG after what he had seen in practice.

Im still ranting.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 02:02 PM
A "once in a lifetime talent" who was ringless until his 14th season. It happens. While Dirk & even a player like KG definetly will be ranked higher in NBA history for their achievements/talent during their primes, most of that stuff isn't remembered without winning a Championship in that span of time. After multiple All Star/All NBA honors nothing really matters unless you win a Championship. Thats all I care about as well.

It's not all about championships. A lot goes into winning rings. Dirk and the Mavs have been in the mix yearly. Not much more that you can ask for as a fan. Everyone keeps talking about Morey blowing it but he had 3 choices. Remain average. Take a chance on getting a superstar and being one of the big players or rebuilding if that doesn't work out. I'd rather see my team going for it personally than being happy with just making the playoffs like is the Jazz MO.

Dallas doesn't match-up with GS in round one they probably win that year. Wade put on arguably the greatest performance ever to beat them another year.

While you categorize Melo as simply just a "high scoring Small Forward", you fail to mention that he is far more skilled and has been far more successful in his seasons than any of the guys before him with that same tag.

He has? He's gotten more hype than any of them save Dominique and maybe Bernard King when he played in NY. How are you rating success here? Hype and money? Others have won as much or more. Others have more scoring titles. Others have more all-star nods.

I understand that the 1 word to be used to describe his strengths is "scoring", but there is an Elite ability in there that allows him to carry a team.

When will see this elite ability? Lin carried them with Carmelo out more than Carmelo has ever carried anyone.

Next season is the first season in nearly 15 years almost where I can honestly say that I feel this team can not only make the Playoffs, but can go further if those stars do align. Will they? Thats left to be speculated.

Lebron having the first significant injury in his career? Deron going down across town? KG and Pierce getting old finally? Chicago not being able to hang in til Rose gets back and it being to late for him to be close to his old self? Those are a lot of stars!

this Jeremy Lin thing would be the first time Dolan has made an actual basketball related move by measuring risk & reward. He's always taken the risk and been happy with any reward, but this time he seems to be consulting people with better basketball minds than him.

Remains to be seen.

boozehound
07-15-2012, 02:05 PM
thats because this is the first time that these types of contracts can be structured like this. Before, contracts were frontloaded so that a team didnt have the space to match its own restricted 2nd round picks (memo, arenas, boozer).

no pun intended
07-15-2012, 02:05 PM
So what? It is ridiculous. Anyone with common sense would know that it is, because it is.

tpols
07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Dirk and KG won MVPs.. they were always more dominant than Melo who is a poor mans dominique Wilkins as far as SFs go. He will never ever lead the knicks to a title.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 02:10 PM
thats because this is the first time that these types of contracts can be structured like this. Before, contracts were frontloaded so that a team didnt have the space to match its own restricted 2nd round picks (memo, arenas, boozer).

Portland front loaded Millsap and I think Matthews contracts with a lump payment that was due when matching the offer. The Jazz had to take out a bank loan to pay Millsap something like 10 million up front I believe. But now he is one of the best bargains in the game. Should have done the same with Matthews.

boozehound
07-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Portland front loaded Millsap and I think Matthews contracts with a lump payment that was due when matching the offer. The Jazz had to take out a bank loan to pay Millsap something like 10 million up front I believe. But now he is one of the best bargains in the game. Should have done the same with Matthews.
yep, some other examples after the arenas rule (that allowed teams to match 2nd round rfa offer sheets even without the capspace).

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Dirk and KG won MVPs.. they were always more dominant than Melo who is a poor mans dominique Wilkins as far as SFs go. He will never ever lead the knicks to a title.

He's comparable to Dominique. Dominique was always hyped as one of the greats based on highlite dunks but he was just another high scoring small forward that wasn't leading a team anywhere.

BoutPractice
07-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Are we seriously comparing Carmelo and Dirk now? Even before winning a championship, Dirk was always someone who made it much easier for his teammates to score and generally speaking, to win games. Being a 7 footer tends to help.

You could theoretically win a title with Carmelo on your team. But his role would be much more similar to Paul Pierce's in the Celtics' 2008 run.

Kingwillball
07-15-2012, 02:18 PM
And Melo should Not be a Max Player either but I bet he is not complaining about that..

StateOfMind12
07-15-2012, 02:20 PM
And Melo should Not be a Max Player either but I bet he is not complaining about that..
This, if Lin's contract is ridiculous, what the **** is Melo's contract? :oldlol:

DKLaker
07-15-2012, 02:22 PM
He talked to media today and said it's not up to him if the Knicks sign Lin or not.

"It's up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract."

Wow......he really hates Lin.
IMO a player should never make negative comments about another player's contract.

I really like Melo but he needs to show class.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 02:22 PM
You could theoretically win a title with Carmelo on your team. But his role would be much more similar to Paul Pierce's in the Celtics' 2008 run.

Can you see Carmelo playing unselfishly like Pierce though?

Kujo
07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Call me crazy, but I think this confirms Melo was jealous of Lin's success during Linsanity, most of which came without him in the lineup.

It almost seems better that Lin ends up with Rockets as the NYK's org has developed a lot animosity for him since he signed that offer sheet.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 02:26 PM
IMO a player should never make negative comments about another player's contract.

When has he ever shown class? His rookie year he cried about not making the all-star team when there were others including his own teammate Andre Miller that had an argument for being there. Than he said some shit about not minding being snubbed for such and such a star but he minded Kirilenko making it over him. AK deserved it that year. He never did again and it would have been a shame if he hadn't made it.

jbot
07-15-2012, 02:28 PM
well, whether he said it or not, i agree with him.

NOHCP3
07-15-2012, 02:32 PM
This kind of violates the "player/teammate code" right? Don't discuss other guys contract situation? I mean we constantly bash athletes for not giving real answers so I guess it goes both ways. Could argue at this point that Amare's contract is worse :lol

Rowe
07-15-2012, 02:55 PM
It's not all about championships. A lot goes into winning rings. Dirk and the Mavs have been in the mix yearly. Not much more that you can ask for as a fan. Everyone keeps talking about Morey blowing it but he had 3 choices. Remain average. Take a chance on getting a superstar and being one of the big players or rebuilding if that doesn't work out. I'd rather see my team going for it personally than being happy with just making the playoffs like is the Jazz MO.

Dallas doesn't match-up with GS in round one they probably win that year. Wade put on arguably the greatest performance ever to beat them another year.

It is all about Championships at this point. As far as Dallas is concerned, they have remained in the mix because they had proven talent in place for a much longer time than a team like the Knicks for example. Not speculating on what would've happened and rather focusing on what finally did happen when they did win in 2011. I do know a lot of people didn't think Dallas could win a Championship with Dirk as their #1 option because despite his scoring ability & efficient shooting, he is an abstract PF who differed completely from a lot of the great traditional PF's.

Winning makes those conversations in the past irrelevant.

He has? He's gotten more hype than any of them save Dominique and maybe Bernard King when he played in NY. How are you rating success here? Hype and money? Others have won as much or more. Others have more scoring titles. Others have more all-star nods.

Melo is entering Year 10 with 5 All-NBA appearances and 5 All Star appearances, those individual accomplishments are already far more than some guys careers. For 8 of his 9 seasons he has been honored in some way by the NBA. He takes a lot of flack, but he has put together a career trending towards a Hall of Fame induction assuming he stays healthy.

By "success" I'm talking Wins & Losses as well as Playoff appearances up to this point. I simply disagreed with what I took from your comment describing Melo as essentially just another volume scoring Forward as seen before by other guys. He's been far more successful with his style of play because he's far more skilled than many of those who came before. I said this earlier but I can't help but to emphasize that part. That is his saving grace that seperates him from many of the high scoring Forwards that you bring up in that he still finds a way to elevate his team in the midst of his iso heavy game.

When will see this elite ability? Lin carried them with Carmelo out more than Carmelo has ever carried anyone.
What did Melo do to finish the season? That was carrying the team.

He's never been in a situation where his teammates were as unheralded as the role players we had during Linsanity. While, Jeremy Lin kept the Knicks from falling out of the Playoff race for a stretch of games, just as much credit goes to those role players for helping us beat the teams we were supposed to beat and pulling off a surprise over LA.

Lebron having the first significant injury in his career? Deron going down across town? KG and Pierce getting old finally? Chicago not being able to hang in til Rose gets back and it being to late for him to be close to his old self? Those are a lot of stars!

So you're telling me that the Knicks aren't very much in contention with Boston & Chicago as being the teams to compete for the East with Miami?

I'm not putting any guarantees on winning a Championship, but management has at least started to prove that they can identify the missing pieces this team has had the last 2 seasons and attempt to fill them.

The Nets aren't really on my radar.

Remains to be seen.
Wait, what?

This move defies Dolan's previous decisions related to basketball.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 03:00 PM

You shouldn't throw comments around like that when they're not accurate.

Nique was an extremely exciting player who garnered a lot of attention from fans, but he lived off of his athleticism for many years to hide his struggles as a perimeter scorer. He also lacked that awareness to take over in crunch time that a lot of the "legends" of his era had, while many people will point to his famed Playoff matchup with Larry Bird, I think more of all of the regular season and Playoff games in which he seemingly couldn't figure out how to respond for his team.

niko
07-15-2012, 03:00 PM
This is like when a friends gf introduces you to her friend, and she's a big fact chick. And she asks later if you two hit if off and you say no. The reason was clearly she is a hippo, but you say "eh, we just didn't mix right". You don't say SHE WAS A BIG FAT HIPPO.

Melo said the girl was a hippo.

That said though, if you see the context, he is referring to how it's structured, and annoyed it's structured so teh Knicks cannot match. He's more annoyed it ko's Jeremy, not just him being catty about the money.

ripthekik
07-15-2012, 03:06 PM

that's cuz he salty..
when he was injured everyone was saying Knicks don't need him back.. he felt mad disrespected. When he came back, they eventually lost. :lol
This guy dont want no more of lin

Rowe
07-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Can you see Carmelo playing unselfishly like Pierce though?

Pierce did win Finals MVP.

While that isn't the example I was trying to cite with what the Knicks are doing, the situation of having a "Big 3" took a lot of pressure off of Pierce until the Celtics needed him to step up. He stepped up in the biggest moments(remember the close out game against LeBron in the ECF?), and thats always been his nature.

The 1 comparison between Melo & Pierce's situation before the "Big 3" is that both players were so reliable of an offensive option that they unfairly took the blame in Playoff games when their teammates didn't step up. At the same time its tough for certain teammates to do their part on offense when they know that the best thing for the team is finding Melo/Pierce and trusting them to score on the possession.

lilgodfather1
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
melo and fans forgetting about lins market value... dude will make the knicks hundreds of millions...

lin will easly be voted an allstar next year if he stays healthy
The Knicks could be the only team in history to have 3 all stars (possibly 4 if Dwight gets traded out West) and get swept in the first round!

Rowe
07-15-2012, 03:12 PM
that's cuz he salty..
when he was injured everyone was saying Knicks don't need him back.. he felt mad disrespected. When he came back, they eventually lost. :lol
This guy dont want no more of lin

Only idiots said that.

These were the same people by the way who concluded that removing Melo from the equation and building a D'Antoni based team gun & run team around Amare/Lin was the best thing the Knicks could do.

Their opinions changed once again within maybe 2 weeks.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 03:19 PM
This is like when a friends gf introduces you to her friend, and she's a big fact chick. And she asks later if you two hit if off and you say no. The reason was clearly she is a hippo, but you say "eh, we just didn't mix right". You don't say SHE WAS A BIG FAT HIPPO.

Melo said the girl was a hippo.

That said though, if you see the context, he is referring to how it's structured, and annoyed it's structured so teh Knicks cannot match. He's more annoyed it ko's Jeremy, not just him being catty about the money.

The contract was ridiculous from the beginning.

Before all of this stuff happened, I had thought Lin would do a 1 year deal for $5 Million with a Player Option for $5 Million in a 2nd season.

But the media only runs with a quote instead of putting together what he said afterwards. This is no different than the same way they ran with the quote of Melo "criticizing" DeMarcus Cousins for fouling everyone in practices. For the sheep, they automatically conclude that either Melo is soft or thinks DeMarcus Cousins isn't a good player. But it was actually a fraction of the quote, which didn't include the part where Melo said they needed that out of their big men.

I've never seen a guy get so much bad press for things out of his control.

At least with the other guys who did get bad press there was with valid reasoning for it.

bmulls
07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Don't know if this has been said yet, but this quote has been taken out of context.

He meant ridiculous in the way it is structured with the huge backload, not ridiculous that Lin is getting paid.

It was more a shot at the Rockets than Lin.

no pun intended
07-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Don't know if this has been said yet, but this quote has been taken out of context.

He meant ridiculous in the way it is structured with the huge backload, not ridiculous that Lin is getting paid.

It was more a shot at the Rockets than Lin.
This. We should all agree that the contract is ridiculous, whether it was for Lin or not. If you don't, then you're ridiculous. Lockout here we come.

Smoke117
07-15-2012, 03:44 PM
It's the Knicks you're talking about.

We have the dumbest players and front office management staff in the league for the past decade.

Fact. Though adding pathetic to dumb wouldn't hurt either.

ZenMaster
07-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Context or no context it almost doesn't matter. Melo should have never said the words Lin, contract and ridiculous in front of anybody holding a recorder or note pad.

No class at all.

Xiao Yao You
07-15-2012, 09:30 PM
As far as Dallas is concerned, they have remained in the mix because they had proven talent in place for a much longer time than a team like the Knicks for example.

They have Dirk and Cuban and not Carmelo and Dolan. That's the difference.

he is an abstract PF who differed completely from a lot of the great traditional PF's.

Which sets him apart from Carmelo who is just another high scoring small forward.

Melo is entering Year 10 with 5 All-NBA appearances and 5 All Star appearances, those individual accomplishments are already far more than some guys careers. For 8 of his 9 seasons he has been honored in some way by the NBA. He takes a lot of flack, but he has put together a career trending towards a Hall of Fame induction assuming he stays healthy.

By "success" I'm talking Wins & Losses as well as Playoff appearances up to this point. I simply disagreed with what I took from your comment describing Melo as essentially just another volume scoring Forward as seen before by other guys. He's been far more successful with his style of play because he's far more skilled than many of those who came before. I said this earlier but I can't help but to emphasize that part. That is his saving grace that seperates him from many of the high scoring Forwards that you bring up in that he still finds a way to elevate his team in the midst of his iso heavy game.

Rather he's more skilled or not I don't see that he has set himself apart from the Dominique's, A.D.'s, English's, King's etc. If he kept himself in tiptop shape like A.D. he might be able to set himself apart but he hasn't.

So you're telling me that the Knicks aren't very much in contention with Boston & Chicago as being the teams to compete for the East with Miami?

I don't see them being up with Miami, Boston or now the Nets. Chicago could be in trouble without Rose. When it looked like they might get Nash I thought they had a chance. Not with the team they have now no.

The Nets aren't really on my radar.

Unlike Carmelo Deron makes his teammates better. Johnson is also unselfish. Best team in NYC.

Nique was an extremely exciting player who garnered a lot of attention from fans, but he lived off of his athleticism for many years to hide his struggles as a perimeter scorer.

I'm not a fan but he did turn himself into a good jump shooter.

NumberSix
07-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Are we seriously comparing Melo to Dirk? Just because Dirk can be successful doesn't mean Melo can. Dirk is significantly better than Melo is, has been or ever will be.

nathanjizzle
07-15-2012, 09:34 PM
melo has always hated jeremy.

TheBigVeto
07-15-2012, 09:50 PM
He is right.
But unfortunately so are Melo's and Amare's contracts.

Godzuki
07-15-2012, 10:43 PM
melo hates azn's

Blue&Orange
07-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Am i the only one that thinks that Melo sounds angry not because he is jealous of Lin making that money, but because he realized Lin won't be a Knick?

Have people forgotten the rumors that it was Melo that begged to D'Antoni to play Lin, because he didn't want to play point-forward anymore?

Pretty sure Melo, like everyone on that team, like every Knick fan, realized Lin was a big part of what they are trying to do in New York..

Pretty sure Melo reacted as every Knick fan have reacted, **** that ridiculous contract.

If anything i'm happy that Melo reacted like he did.

Rednecks hating on Melo, what's new on Ish...

D.J.
07-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Carmelo should be one of the last people to talk.

bmulls
07-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Am i the only one that thinks that Melo sounds angry not because he is jealous of Lin making that money, but because he realized Lin won't be a Knick?

Have people forgotten the rumors that it was Melo that begged to D'Antoni to play Lin, because he didn't want to play point-forward anymore?

Pretty sure Melo, like everyone on that team, like every Knick fan, realized Lin was a big part of what they are trying to do in New York..

Pretty sure Melo reacted as every Knick fan have reacted, **** that ridiculous contract.

That's what I got out of it. He's pissed Houston tried to pull some CBA shenanigans and forced the NYK front office to call their bluff.

Sarcastic
07-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Carmelo should be one of the last people to talk.

:wtf:

Are you trying to say Carmelo is overpaid? There are about 28 teams that would trade their SF for Carmelo right now.

ClutchOver9000
07-15-2012, 11:12 PM

Are you trying to say Carmelo is overpaid? There are about 28 teams that would trade their SF for Carmelo right now.

in b4 "no way, Rudy Gay is 10x the player Melo is!"

D.J.
07-15-2012, 11:14 PM
:wtf:Are you trying to say Carmelo is overpaid?

No, he's underpaid. :facepalm

There are about 28 teams that would trade their SF for Carmelo right now.

Don't think so. Allen Iverson was a tier above Melo and even with him, not every team wanted him. For a player of Melo's calibur, he's been an failure. Outside of his '09 trip to the WCF, he's never been past the first round. Even with good teammates, he hasn't done squat. He hasn't helped make the Knicks better at all since arriving. Right now, he's a poor man's Tracy McGrady.

KyrieTheFuture
07-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Some of the things you post make me feel like you're either Melo himself or just a Knicks groupie. You act like they never make a bad move.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 11:27 PM
They have Dirk and Cuban and not Carmelo and Dolan. That's the difference.
They also had a 10 year headstart.

Which sets him apart from Carmelo who is just another high scoring small forward.
But that didn't mean he was far more likely to win a Championship at the time than Melo. I remember the counter-arguments as to why Dirk couldn't do it as the #1 guy, and they are no different than the concerns facing Melo.

- Can he dominate each game scoring?
- Will he play good defense?
- Will he rebound?

Same things. Dirk played with more intensity, while Melo has never had a "soft" tag put on him the way it was put on Dirk.

Rather he's more skilled or not I don't see that he has set himself apart from the Dominique's, A.D.'s, English's, King's etc. If he kept himself in tiptop shape like A.D. he might be able to set himself apart but he hasn't.

Really?

Explain to me how his "shape" negatively affects his game in comparison to those players? If the "high scoring Forwards" are those who you specifically mentioned than Melo doesn't have much in common with any of those guys from how he plays. Thats why I've maintained he is a different breed of "high scoring Forward" than guys he routinely is compared to. If anything Melo's game has far more similarities to Rick Barry.

I don't see them being up with Miami, Boston or now the Nets. Chicago could be in trouble without Rose. When it looked like they might get Nash I thought they had a chance. Not with the team they have now no.
I dont see them being up with Miami, but the 2nd spot in the East is very much wide open at the moment between the Celtics, Knicks, & Bulls. Taking the leap of faith that Chicago is still trying to put a winning team together and isn't "tanking".

Unlike Carmelo Deron makes his teammates better. Johnson is also unselfish. Best team in NYC.

Yeah they were great in New Jersey the last 2 years. :lol

So we've got Deron, a declining Joe Johnson, a declining Gerald Wallace, & now a return of the famed frontcourt duo of Kris Humphries/Brook Lopez.

As a Jazz fan I know your view of Deron is completely different from my own, while I respect him as a Top 5 PG, I do think that his supporting cast right now in Brooklyn isn't nearly as good as you think it is.

To unequivocally proclaim them the best team in New York is hard to take serious. I'd understand saying its a toss-up, but to say they're the best team in NYC is shortsighted. Espescially from the fact the Knicks have been better the last 2 seasons with far more structural issues in regards to coaching, roster turnover, & simply bum role players.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 11:34 PM
No, he's underpaid. :facepalm

Don't think so. Allen Iverson was a tier above Melo and even with him, not every team wanted him. For a player of Melo's calibur, he's been an failure. Outside of his '09 trip to the WCF, he's never been past the first round. Even with good teammates, he hasn't done squat. He hasn't helped make the Knicks better at all since arriving. Right now, he's a poor man's Tracy McGrady.

Answer me this.

On paper, did anyone ever believe the Nuggets were a Title Contender?

It seems like we're getting this "Melo always had good teammates" stuff years after the fact to try to chang the perception in hindsight only.

They never had a bench and never had Martin/Nene/Camby healthy at the same time. The were a solid team who had 1 good run to the WCF, which is more than anybody would expect out of them.

Rowe
07-15-2012, 11:41 PM
in b4 "no way, Rudy Gay is 10x the player Melo is!"

Actually you had folks arguing this earlier in the week about how Rudy Gay is better than Melo. Despite the fact that a Memphis writer summed it up best by saying Rudy Gay is a poor man's Melo without the 40 Pt games. An isolation heavy player with questionable shot selection in the halfcourt, but excels far more in transition than Melo does.

Its on of those moments when you finally realize that people are simply trying to troll on these Melo topics. I've rationalized that you can't be out of your damn mind to take Rudy Gay over Melo if you don't actually believe it with any sort of backing behind it.

D.J.
07-15-2012, 11:45 PM
On paper, did anyone ever believe the Nuggets were a Title Contender?

A title contender, most likely not. A one and done team, most certainly not. '07 had AI putting up 25/7, Camby was DPOY, JR was shooting almost 40% from downtown, Evans and Nene both playing decent. '08 had AI putting up 26/7, Martin was back and playing solid D, JR shot over 40% from downtown, Camby had another DPOY-esque season, Kleiza was a high energy young player. He had another 25 PPG scorer, a DPOY, guys that could shoot 40% from downtown, and high energy players. How is he not getting out of the first round?

It seems like we're getting this "Melo always had good teammates" stuff years after the fact to try to chang the perception in hindsight only.

He has had good teammates from 2007-2010. They lost in round 1 in 3 of the 4 years, including losing in '10 with home court.

They never had a bench and never had Martin/Nene/Camby healthy at the same time. The were a solid team who had 1 good run to the WCF, which is more than anybody would expect out of them.

When you have Melo and AI both putting up over 25 a night, a DPOY, a top coach, outside shooting, and young talent, you're not expected to be one and done.

Sarcastic
07-15-2012, 11:49 PM
A title contender, most likely not. A one and done team, most certainly not. '07 had AI putting up 25/7, Camby was DPOY, JR was shooting almost 40% from downtown, Evans and Nene both playing decent. '08 had AI putting up 26/7, Martin was back and playing solid D, JR shot over 40% from downtown, Camby had another DPOY-esque season, Kleiza was a high energy young player. He had another 25 PPG scorer, a DPOY, guys that could shoot 40% from downtown, and high energy players. How is he not getting out of the first round?

He has had good teammates from 2007-2010. They lost in round 1 in 3 of the 4 years, including losing in '10 with home court.

When you have Melo and AI both putting up over 25 a night, a DPOY, a top coach, outside shooting, and young talent, you're not expected to be one and done.

Tell me which first round playoff run were they supposed to win that they lost?

ClutchOver9000
07-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Actually you had folks arguing this earlier in the week about how Rudy Gay is better than Melo. Despite the fact that a Memphis writer summed it up best by saying Rudy Gay is a poor man's Melo without the 40 Pt games. An isolation heavy player with questionable shot selection in the halfcourt, but excels far more in transition than Melo does.

Its on of those moments when you finally realize that people are simply trying to troll on these Melo topics. I've rationalized that you can't be out of your damn mind to take Rudy Gay over Melo if you don't actually believe it with any sort of backing behind it.

yea i know, i was in disbelief at the utter stupidity I was witnessing at first, then it became quite amusing whenever ppl agreed w/ that premise.

Especially when I thought that the poster was actually genuine in his belief and not trolling. That was even funnier...

D.J.
07-15-2012, 11:57 PM

I don't want to hear any excuses. Someone of Melo's calibur isn't supposed to be one and done year in and year out. He didn't have T-Mac's supporting cast or Wade's supporting cast in '09. He had another 25 PPG scorer, a DPOY, a top coach, outside shooting, elite shot blocking.

Funny how you and several others bash T-Mac, but Melo has a supporting cast that's 10x better and it's "Tell me which first round playoff run were they supposed to win that they lost?". :facepalm

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 11:58 PM
They were supposed to beat the Jazz in 2010 for sure.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
They were supposed to beat the Jazz in 2010 for sure.

Oh when the coach had cancer? Carmelo averaged 30.7/8.5/3.3 for that series.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Jazz/Nuggets was a 4/5 match up.

HUGE upset when a 5 seed wins those.

AK47DR91
That should have served as an inspiration.

D.J.

That includes shooting nights of 9/25(game 2), 7/19(game 5), and 6/22(game 6).

D.J.
07-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Jazz/Nuggets was a 4/5 match up.

HUGE upset when a 5 seed wins those.

Doesn't matter. They had home court.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
That includes shooting nights of 9/25(game 2), 7/19(game 5), and 6/22(game 6).

You should post the stats of the rest of the team.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
That should have served as an inspiration.

Tell that to the rest of the team.

Blue&Orange
07-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I don't want to hear any excuses. Someone of Melo's calibur isn't supposed to be one and done year in and year out. He didn't have T-Mac's supporting cast or Wade's supporting cast in '09. He had another 25 PPG scorer, a DPOY, a top coach, outside shooting, elite shot blocking.

Funny how you and several others bash T-Mac, but Melo has a supporting cast that's 10x better and it's "Tell me which first round playoff run were they supposed to win that they lost?". :facepalm
basically you had no answer to the question and chose to repeat yourself

:roll:

D.J.
07-16-2012, 12:10 AM

We're not talking about the rest of the team. We're talking about Carmelo Anthony, who had 3 piss poor shooting games including going 13/41 in games 5 and 6.

Borat
no need for him to comment at all, thats the basics of it

D.J.

I already proved him wrong. He's a homer and a troll.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:11 AM

He's a fool and one of the worst posters on the site.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:12 AM
I already proved him wrong. He's a homer and a troll.

You couldn't answer the question. :oldlol:

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Melo loses a 4/5 match up and is the devil.

Dirk has lost a 1/8 match up and is a saint.

D.J.
07-16-2012, 12:14 AM

He's a fool and one of the worst posters on the site.

I'm a far better poster than you. You creating a thread to keep Lin in NY. :facepalm

You couldn't answer the question. :oldlol:

Like I answer to you. This coming from someone who slams McGrady for not getting out of the first round, but gives Melo a free pass. Go back to your bridge.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:15 AM

Melo's backup shot like 9-14 for 20+ points in the close out game I believe. Chauncey played decent as well in a few games too, J.R as well. Melo was streaky similar to his series vs the Celtics.

West was retarded. Melo had lots of talent around him but he was facing tough teams. As a Denver fan I don't really care about him not leading us out of the first round. He's not LeBron. Or even Dwayne Wade. Can't complain when he doesn't lift you above a better team. That being said Melo at times was very inefficient in the playoffs. He could have played alot better in those series. I wanted to see him push them and make it closer like "superstars" do. Kinda like Denver this year vs L.A. Take the series to 6 and put up a fight. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Denver would have dominated the East. They had some good teams. L.A and S.A were just a bitch.

Borat

stop snitchin :lol

D.J.

I never said a word about Dirk. Further proof you're a homer. And Dirk has made it past the first round more than once and also won a ring as the #1 option. Keep putting your foot in your mouth.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Melo's backup shot like 9-14 for 20+ points in the close out game I believe. Chauncey played decent as well in a few games too, J.R as well. Melo was streaky similar to his series vs the Celtics.

West was retarded. Melo had lots of talent around him but he was facing tough teams. As a Denver fan I don't really care about him not leading us out of the first round. He's not LeBron. Or even Dwayne Wade. Can't complain when he doesn't lift you above a better team. That being said Melo at times was very inefficient in the playoffs. He could have played alot better in those series. I wanted to see him push them and make it closer like "superstars" do. Kinda like Denver this year vs L.A. Take the series to 6 and put up a fight. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Denver would have dominated the East. They had some good teams. L.A and S.A were just a bitch.

Chauncey got burned by Deron. Who destroyed Melo in the series?

D.J.
07-16-2012, 12:20 AM

Considering Chauncey played decent, he didn't get burned by any means.

Rowe
07-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Honestly, I've seen enough.

I cant tell if these dudes on here are trolling or just really want to argue back and forth about how "overrated" they perceive Melo to be.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:23 AM
It's funny how all of Denver's failures are all Melo's fault, but them actually becoming a playoff team after 8 years of nothingness has nothing to do with them.

Go check Denver's history before and after Melo, then post.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4408/sfault.jpg

Rowe
07-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Considering Chauncey played decent, he didn't get burned by any means.

Deron averaged 25.8 PPG & 11.2 APG on 49% from the Field.

He absolutely demolished Chauncey in that series.

I remember wondering what the hell Dantley was doing leaving Chauncey on him as they kept running through the same 4 sets each time. Sloan was making it a mission to make Chauncey play under the pick, and Deron was making him pay whenever he did. Chauncey had the size but he just didn't have the foot speed & reaction time to really cause Deron problems. If JR Smith had the defensive effort to play on the ball he could've been a guy who could guard PG's like Deron but he simply lacked that effort and focus. IMO, Afflalo would've been too slow defensively to defend the drive.

D.J.
07-16-2012, 12:26 AM
It's funny how all of Denver's failures are all Melo's fault, but them actually becoming a playoff team after 8 years of nothingness has nothing to do with them.

New additions:

-Melo
-Andre Miller
-Lenard
-Boykins
-Elson

And a healthy Camby on top of that.

Maybe you should follow your own advice.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:27 AM

What the f*ck is wrong with your head? Read what you wrote. You asked for the stats of the rest of the team. Can you ever stay on topic? Or do you just retreat and spit out whatever is crossing your mind at that point in time?

Not to mention your logic. Deron is an elite player. Billups facing him, which wouldn't just be him guarding him is different than Melo guarding CJ Miles or Kyle Korver.

Chauncey had a good series including outscoring Melo by 10 while taking 3 less shots in game 6. Deron had like under 20 points that game too. Joey Grahm lit it up. Scored more than Melo, way more efficiently too.

I'm not even trying to hate. I understand why Melo never got out of the 1st round much. Just saying he could have played better and made things closer alot of the time. Like game 6 vs the Jazz

D.J.
07-16-2012, 12:28 AM

I remember wondering what the hell Dantley was doing leaving Chauncey on him as they kept running through the same 4 sets each time. Sloan was making it a mission to make Chauncey play under the pick, and Deron was making him pay whenever he did.

And Chauncey averaged 20/6. Let's not act like Chauncey was shut down.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:29 AM
New additions:

-Melo
-Andre Miller
-Lenard
-Boykins
-Elson

And a healthy Camby on top of that.

Don't bother. He thought the 17 win team was close to what Melo played with his rookie year. Always use to bring up the increase in W's. You can show him how different the teams were until your red in the face but doesn't matter to him :oldlol:

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:31 AM

I remember wondering what the hell Dantley was doing leaving Chauncey on him as they kept running through the same 4 sets each time. Sloan was making it a mission to make Chauncey play under the pick, and Deron was making him pay whenever he did. Chauncey had the size but he just didn't have the foot speed & reaction time to really cause Deron problems. If JR Smith had the defensive effort to play on the ball he could've been a guy who could guard PG's like Deron but he simply lacked that effort and focus. IMO, Afflalo would've been too slow defensively to defend the drive.

AA def saw time on Deron. Denver teams in the Melo era constantly switched. It's kinda how we shutdown Chris Paul that one year + Dahntay Jones. Lots of switching + try and trap the PG.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:32 AM

Chauncey averaged that on worse shooting than Melo, but you chose to bring up Melo's shooting %.

You're a ****ing clown.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Don't bother. He thought the 17 win team was close to what Melo played with his rookie year. Always use to bring up the increase in W's. You can show him how different the teams were until your red in the face but doesn't matter to him :oldlol:

D.J.
07-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Chauncey averaged that on worse shooting than Melo, but you chose to bring up Melo's shooting %.

You're a ****ing clown.

And you resorting to insults proves that I'm right and you lack intelligence.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:36 AM

He had like 30 points on 19 shots in game 6. Deron had 14 points. Joey Grahm had 21 on 9-14 shooting. Lawson had 10 on 6 shots. Melo shot 6-22 for 20 points.

Should Denver had won that series? No. They were a mess without Karl. They collapsed long before the playoffs. Dantley was a moron. Melo needed to show up in game 6 tho. I guess pointing things out makes you a "hater". I'm not even trying to be .. that Sarcastic dude is just a dumby.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:36 AM
@NuggetsFan: I wish Melo just walked away from your team, and left them with nothing instead of asking for a trade so you can get pieces back. You would've finally seen how pathetic your team is without him. Anyway, you're destined to 7/8 seeds and first round losses in your future, so whatever.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
And you resorting to insults proves that I'm right and you lack intelligence.

You never answering the original question shows the lack of yours.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:38 AM

That we were relevant for like 8 years? Yup. My beef isn't with Melo but with your lack of knowledge. Melo could have played better in the playoffs at times. There was points where he failed to show up. He had talent. West was deep and took 50 wins to get the 8th seed. Pretty much sums it up.

D.J.
You never answering the original question shows the lack of yours.

That doesn't show lack of intelligence. I've completely proven why Melo should be held accountable. Your question wasn't valid.

Rowe
Its not about being shut down. Chauncey lost the individual matchup.

Chauncey was the target on the Nuggets defense in which Utah was running play after play that involved a pick from a flat set to get Deron down the lane or to bury a jumpshot in a spot where he was far more efficient. This limits help defense on the pick & roll because the wing defender is relegated to the corner and is unable to contest the drive without leaving his zone. In the process they would be letting their man hit the open corner 3 or swing back around to the flat for a better look. If Chauncey went under the pick, Deron nailed his jumpshots, & if Chauncey tried to hedge through it left Deron with an easy opportunity to score or let Boozer finish off the pick & roll. Boozer had 22/13 in that series as well.

Utah did this non stop and Denver couldn't make adjustments, but that is mostly due to Adrian Dantley not knowing what to do.

hawkfan
hawkfan Trade Scenario (where amazing happens):

Knicks get

Dwight Howard
Jason Richardson
Hedo Turkoglu

Magic get

Carmelo Anthony
Amare Stoudemire

The Knicks get a twin towers of Howard-Chandler at the bigs, which would be the best rebounding duo in the league and the best defensive duo in the league at the bigs. The Knicks re-sign Lin to bring the ball up and pass it to Chandler and Howard for dunks.

The Magic get 2 All-Stars for their team.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Its not about being shut down. Chauncey lost the individual matchup.

Chauncey was the target on the Nuggets defense in which Utah was running play after play that involved a pick from a flat set to get Deron down the lane or to bury a jumpshot in a spot where he was far more efficient. This limits help defense on the pick & roll because the wing defender is relegated to the corner and is unable to contest the drive without leaving his zone. In the process they would be letting their man hit the open corner 3 or swing back around to the flat for a better look. If Chauncey went under the pick, Deron nailed his jumpshots, & if Chauncey tried to hedge through it left Deron with an easy opportunity to score or let Boozer finish off the pick & roll. Boozer had 22/13 in that series as well.

Utah did this non stop and Denver couldn't make adjustments, but that is mostly due to Adrian Dantley not knowing what to do.

No, no, no.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:40 AM
@NuggetsFan: I wish Melo just walked away from your team, and left them with nothing instead of asking for a trade so you can get pieces back. You would've finally seen how pathetic your team is without him. Anyway, you're destined to 7/8 seeds and first round losses in your future, so whatever.

Your such a joke. Seriously, can't come up with rebuttals so you attack Denvers future? Your a Knicks fan, not a Laker or Heat fan. Deal with it bro, were just as medicore as you guy's :oldlol:

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:41 AM

Pretty sure AD actually forget about Lawson one game or something. Dude was in waaaay over his head.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:42 AM
That we were relevant for like 8 years? Yup. My beef isn't with Melo but with your lack of knowledge. Melo could have played better in the playoffs at times. There was points where he failed to show up. He had talent. West was deep and took 50 wins to get the 8th seed. Pretty much sums it up.

They still wouldn't have been in the playoffs without Melo that first year. They didn't make enough additions to all of the sudden burst through from 17 wins to a playoff team. Melo was the key piece, which is why a lot of people thought he should have won ROY.

Yourself included, I am sure.

RazorBaLade
07-16-2012, 12:46 AM
remember guys, telling someone to play better to give the team a chance is fair and all.. but sometimesits asking too much.

For example the lakers series that went 6 games. Melo matches or even outplays kobe for 2 of the first 4 games and yes, its 2-2. but cmon. Lakers won the next 2 and kobe crushed melo. You cant blame melo for that. if you have a worse star u need to have a better cast.. both worse is a disaster

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Your such a joke. Seriously, can't come up with rebuttals so you attack Denvers future? Your a Knicks fan, not a Laker or Heat fan. Deal with it bro, were just as medicore as you guy's :oldlol:

I am not rebutting shit. I am saying the Nuggets are going nowhere. That is all.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:48 AM
But what exactly are we even "arguing" here at this point now?

:confusedshrug:

I'm not really arguing anything. Sarcastic asked a question, I answered. I agree for the most part with what you have to say.

They still wouldn't have been in the playoffs without Melo that first year. They didn't make enough additions to all of the sudden burst through from 17 wins to a playoff team. Melo was the key piece, which is why a lot of people thought he should have won ROY.

Yourself included, I am sure.

Melo was a HUGE part of that playoff team. Without him we don't make it. That being said have you ever looked at that 17 win team? I suggest you do. That aren't even comparable. Like to the point where you can't talk about additions because it was a completely different team. I thought he should have won ROY. Once again .. I remember him coming up short to the tune of like a 2-16 2 pt shooting night before he got hurt. Should Denver have got by Minny? No. Should Melo have played better even as a rookie? I dunno. I thought so. He's a rookie so w.e but the way you talk about it? He def should have. Making it seem like he was surrounded by scrubs when he was the 3rd leading scorer on his team in the playoffs.

Rowe
07-16-2012, 12:50 AM

- Melo didn't step up in some Playoff games and that would've been the only way for Denver to have advanced further than expected.

- Melo had some great Playoff games but the Nuggets were simply not good enough to beat teams who were eventual Western Conference Champions.

I can accept that stuff.

But all of the extra stuff that has gone in this thread of putting blame on Melo and using that as an example of him being a "loser", "overrated", and all of the other stuff being said is just ridiculous to me.

Honestly, I just hate that every single Melo topic comes back to stuff about the Nuggets 3-4 years ago to describe why he can't do things "now" or in the future.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 12:53 AM

- Melo didn't step up in some Playoff games and that would've been the only way for Denver to have advanced further than expected.

- Melo had some great Playoff games but the Nuggets were simply not good enough to beat teams who were eventual Western Conference Champions.

I can accept that stuff.

But all of the extra stuff that has gone in this thread of putting blame on Melo and using that as an example of him being a "loser", "overrated", and all of the other stuff being said is just ridiculous to me.

Honestly, I just hate that every single Melo topic comes back to stuff about the Nuggets 3-4 years ago to describe why he can't do things "now" or in the future.

Well I agree. Denver wasn't beating S.A or L.A. All I said was he had help and he could have played better at times. Very inefficient at times.

I agree once again. Whenever it does people like Sarcastic end up speaking on things they have no clue about. Just as bad as the people who expected Melo to beat L.A or S.A.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Well I agree. Denver wasn't beating S.A or L.A. All I said was he had help and he could have played better at times. Very inefficient at times.

I agree once again. Whenever it does people like Sarcastic end up speaking on things they have no clue about. Just as bad as the people who expected Melo to beat L.A or S.A.

So other than the 4/5 Utah series that Karl had cancer in, which series was his fault?

Xiao Yao You
07-16-2012, 01:02 AM

Hardly. He's not worth the money.

But that didn't mean he was far more likely to win a Championship at the time than Melo.

As far as I'm concerned it does. Dirk is a tough match-up for most bigs. Carmelo can be matched up with your best wing.

Explain to me how his "shape" negatively affects his game in comparison to those players? If the "high scoring Forwards" are those who you specifically mentioned than Melo doesn't have much in common with any of those guys from how he plays. Thats why I've maintained he is a different breed of "high scoring Forward" than guys he routinely is compared to. If anything Melo's game has far more similarities to Rick Barry.

If he was in shape maybe he could be this all-time great you think he is. Don't see what sets him apart and Barry was on a different level for sure.

Yeah they were great in New Jersey the last 2 years.

So we've got Deron, a declining Joe Johnson, a declining Gerald Wallace, & now a return of the famed frontcourt duo of Kris Humphries/Brook Lopez.

Looks better than any team led by Carmelo and Amare to me. Last year he didn't have a whole lot to work with. Ideally he's not your go to guy and with JJ and possibly a healthy Lopez he is the 3rd option and he can do what he does best.

to say they're the best team in NYC is shortsighted. Espescially from the fact the Knicks have been better the last 2 seasons with far more structural issues in regards to coaching, roster turnover, & simply bum role players.

Based on Carmelo's history and what we saw last year it's a pretty good bet.

The Jazz certainly his last go around. They were favored and he sucked! Of course AD took the blame not Carmelo.

Who destroyed Melo in the series?

More importantly who shut his fat ass down?

They wouldn't have been there without Andre Miller either. Carmelo got and took all the credit but there was a lot more going on than him.

NuggetsFan
07-16-2012, 01:04 AM
So other than the 4/5 Utah series that Karl had cancer in, which series was his fault?

Holy f*ck your stupidity amazes me. Did I not just say Denver wasn't winning those series???? .. I said Melo could have played better. Maybe instead of losing in 4-5 we could have went 6 once. 7 games once. He could have been more efficient in the playoffs no doubt.

It's NOT Melo's fault SA had Duncan, Manu, Parker etc. He could have played better at times. It's not like he didn't have help and was playing amazing every year. Just faced stiff comp.

Can you grasp that orrrrr

Xiao Yao You
07-16-2012, 01:06 AM

He is highly overrated. He's been put up with Lebron and Wade since he came in the league. You're saying he's better than other high scoring small forwards that have came before him. He's not all that. He's a great scorer. Anything else overrates him.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Holy f*ck your stupidity amazes me. Did I not just say Denver wasn't winning those series???? .. I said Melo could have played better. Maybe instead of losing in 4-5 we could have went 6 once. 7 games once. He could have been more efficient in the playoffs no doubt.

It's NOT Melo's fault SA had Duncan, Manu, Parker etc. He could have played better at times. It's not like he didn't have help and was playing amazing every year. Just faced stiff comp.

Can you grasp that orrrrr

Basically you can't bring yourself to say that Denver was never that good.

I LUV KOBE
07-16-2012, 01:34 AM
The way Melo played last season, his contract is more ridiculous.. :lol

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 01:35 AM
The way Melo played last season, his contract is more ridiculous.. :lol

Eastern Conference Player of the Month (Apr) is not that bad.

tpols
07-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Basically you can't bring yourself to say that Denver was never that good.
It was an elite supporting cast for any superstar..

Better than Bron's.
Better than Dwight's.
Better than Wade's.
Better than Kobe's.
Better than Dirk's.
Better than Deron's.
Better than Paul's.

-->problem was Melo was worse than all those guys.

Only superstars with better teams were Garnett and Duncan.

atljonesbro
07-16-2012, 01:40 AM
Carmelo wishes he could get overpaid so he can buy more pizza and nachos. Oh wait.

The Knicks :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 01:41 AM

Better than Bron's.
Better than Dwight's.
Better than Wade's.
Better than Kobe's.
Better than Dirk's.
Better than Deron's.
Better than Paul's.

If Denver were in the East, they would have been a top 3 seed almost every year, and Melo would have multiple Conference Finals appearances.

West 8 seed >>> East 4 seed.

tpols
07-16-2012, 01:45 AM
If Denver were in the East, they would have been a top 3 seed almost every year, and Melo would have multiple Conference Finals appearances.

West 8 seed >>> East 4 seed.
Prolly.. thats why Bron's runs get so overrated. Imagine Melo.. or Kobe.. or Dirk getting to face the Washington Wizards and old Detroit Pistons deep in the playoffs every year. What a joke. :oldlol:

I wish it was 1 through 16 bracketing.. so gay how players get inflated due to conference. Melo still has to step up his overall game though to have a impact on par with the true superstars hell be facing. Hes fallen way off pace with bron durant wade etc.

willds09
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Better than Bron's.
Better than Dwight's.
Better than Wade's.
Better than Kobe's.
Better than Dirk's.
Better than Deron's.
Better than Paul's.

:wtf: :biggums:

All Net
07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Not as stupid as Asik's

Eat Like A Bosh
07-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Prolly.. thats why Bron's runs get so overrated. Imagine Melo.. or Kobe.. or Dirk getting to face the Washington Wizards and old Detroit Pistons deep in the playoffs every year. What a joke. :oldlol:

I wish it was 1 through 16 bracketing.. so gay how players get inflated due to conference. Melo still has to step up his overall game though to have a impact on par with the true superstars hell be facing. Hes fallen way off pace with bron durant wade etc.
Yep, this. I like how the top heavy teams in the East get a relatively easy path to the finals.

DCL
07-16-2012, 12:11 PM
carmelo is just calling it how it is.

it is a ridiculously stupid contract.

willds09
07-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Carmelo wishes he could get overpaid so he can buy more pizza and nachos. Oh wait.

The Knicks :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

yeaaaman
07-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Yep, this. I like how the top heavy teams in the East get a relatively easy path to the finals.

Good thing Melo is in the east now, the first round is his for the taking.

Xiao Yao You
07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Good thing Melo is in the east now, the first round is his for the taking.

Maybe if they get home court in the first round but that is no given. They could be looking at 3rd or 4th in their division.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Maybe if they get home court in the first round but that is no given. They could be looking at 3rd or 4th in their division.
Honestly, there's no excuse for the Knicks not to have HCA this upcoming season. They should even be favored to win their division over Boston and Brooklyn. Boston is old and just lost Allen, the Nets are a brand new experiment. And we know Philly was a fluke during the first half of last season.

I don't care how bad their bench is, a roster of Amare, Melo, Chandler, Shumpert, JR Smith, Kidd, Felton and with or without Lin is good enough to finish in the top 4.

redhonda76
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Not too smart Melo. It's not his business on who deserve the money or not. Did any players question the ridicules money he makes also?

Trentknicks
07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Honestly, there's no excuse for the Knicks not to have HCA this upcoming season. They should even be favored to win their division over Boston and Brooklyn. Boston is old and just lost Allen, the Nets are a brand new experiment. And we know Philly was a fluke during the first half of last season.

I don't care how bad their bench is, a roster of Amare, Melo, Chandler, Shumpert, JR Smith, Kidd, Felton and with or without Lin is good enough to finish in the top 4.

Kidd
JR
Novak
Thomas/Martin?
Camby

Is one of the better benches around the league.

nathanjizzle
07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
carmelo is just calling it how it is.

it is a ridiculously stupid contract.

being the main attraction in the biggest market of the nba idoesnt make it so rediculous.

nathanjizzle
07-16-2012, 11:23 PM
melo and JR sux...they should be the last ones talking. did anybody not see this melho play tonite

Xiao Yao You
07-17-2012, 02:55 AM

Boston didn't look old in the playoffs and look like they could be a lot better. Allen is a big loss but they replaced him with Terry. NJ has a lot of talent. Might take them a while to get it together. Knicks still have to prove Carmelo and Amare can play together. Shumpert is hurt. JR Smith is JR smith. :wtf: Felton is a fat ass cancer. Kidd, Camby and Thomas are ancient. Good luck!