PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James makes fan's wish come true

Peteballa
07-15-2012, 04:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/features/mywish/story/_/id/8161790/my-wish-thiago-delia-meets-idol-mvp-lebron-james

From a young age, all Thiago D'Elia wanted to do was play basketball. He would watch clips of his favorite players, head outside to his driveway to imitate them, then head back inside to rewind and watch again, until he got the moves just right.

Thiago's hard work paid off at 15, when he made the team at McIntosh High School in Peachtree City, Ga. But just as his dream was within reach, everything he'd worked for was nearly taken away. Thiago was diagnosed with cancer in January 2010, and his world was turned upside down.

"I think that was one of the hardest things for him," Thiago's mother, Laura Roig, said. "He had worked really hard to prepare for the season; making the school team isn't always an easy task. He'd done all the practices and been part of the team, so to not really play, that was tough."

Though Thiago's cancer treatments sapped him of his strength and stamina, he still mustered the energy to go to his team's games and sit on the bench when he could. When he was at home, he spent most of his time watching basketball, focusing on his favorite player: LeBron James.

Thiago was drawn to James' talent early on, and he followed the three-time MVP's career from the time he entered the league with Cleveland. Thiago stayed loyal to his favorite player when James joined the Miami Heat but never anticipated that he'd get a chance to meet his idol.

Following his successful treatments, Thiago had had no reoccurrences of his illness and was able to return to playing basketball. But he was still waiting on his "cancer-free" diagnosis, and still hopeful his wish to meet the Miami Heat would be granted.

Thiago D'Elia sized up a Heat championship ring from 2006 on his personal tour of the Heat's home.
In April 2012, he answered the door at his Georgia home and was greeted by two Miami Heat dancers. They presented the now 17-year-old Thiago with a DVD. When Thiago played the message, he saw James inviting him to spend time with the Heat in Miami.

"Thiago rarely is speechless," Laura said. "I know my son well, and he gets to a point where he's not only speechless, but he has to say something just to say something. He was so beyond himself that night."

When Thiago and his family arrived in Miami, they were given a private tour of AmericanAirlines Arena, including areas that few people outside the Heat organization see. They walked through the Heat's "Championship Alley" where images of the 2006 title-winning team are displayed to inspire the players. But on this day, it was Thiago providing the inspiration.

The 6-foot-3 guard played last season at Trinity Christian School, the school he'd attended growing up, and averaged 17.5 points per game. But he never expected to see his name on a jersey hanging right next to James' in the Heat locker room. Thiago suited up and headed out to the practice floor, where coach Erik Spoelstra led him onto the court and introduced him to the team, which was coming off a loss to the Grizzlies the previous day, a loss that snapped the Heat's 17-game home win streak.

The players' moods lightened considerably upon meeting Thiago, and the Heat wrapped up practice with a halfcourt-shooting contest -- with Thiago playing alongside athletes he'd watched so many times before. As the practice ended, James gave Thiago one of his trademark headbands for good luck and introduced him to star teammates Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. James and Thiago stayed on the court after practice to have a shooting contest, which Laura said rattled her more than Thiago.

Thiago and LeBron took to the court, but not before the three-time MVP showered the 17-year-old with gifts.

"They were doing all kinds of things, and I was sitting there so nervous, saying, 'Lord, please let him get his shots in,' and he did," Laura said. "He kept hitting one shot after another."

While Thiago was playing on the court, James brought over a backpack full of gear for Thiago to take home, including a pair of LeBron's signature shoes and a signed basketball and jersey.

The next day, Thiago was sitting courtside for the Heat's game against the Pistons, right next to Miami's coaching staff.

"As [the players] were going into huddles, they were giving him high-fives," Laura said.

After the game -- which the Heat won in blowout fashion -- James came over to Thiago one last time. The Heat superstar took off his shoes, grabbed a Sharpie and signed the sneakers for Thiago before the two said their goodbyes. Laura said the players went out of their way to make Thiago feel like part of the team.

"When they were leaving, they all gave him a really strong hug," Laura said. "LeBron was very humble; he really embraced Thiago more than once -- several times throughout the game, as he was being interviewed postgame. It was really warm and touching."

During Miami's playoff run, Thiago reached a milestone in his recovery. He's now officially considered a cancer survivor, having been cancer-free for two years. Yet Thiago already knew he was a survivor. He was more interested in the Heat's progress, and he persuaded his mother to let him go to the championship parade if the Heat won the title.

As the family watched the final seconds of Game 5 of the NBA Finals, Laura knew that her work schedule wouldn't let her go to Miami that week, but Thiago's older sister agreed to accompany him to the parade. When Thiago arrived in Miami, his mother had another surprise for him.

"I called him and said I had really bad news for him," Laura said. "'Son, I hate to tell you this, but Ancel Pratt [the Heat's community affairs coordinator] is giving you tickets for the arena celebration, so you'll have to be inside watching the team celebrate.' He was running around the airport screaming and celebrating."

Less than three years earlier, cancer had threatened to take basketball from Thiago. Now, he was celebrating an NBA title with the Miami Heat ... cancer-free.

kennethgriffin
07-15-2012, 04:17 PM
i think lebron made every single one of his fans wish come true this year by finally figuring out how to not choke when everythings on the line

StateOfMind12
07-15-2012, 04:18 PM
And people call LeBron a jerk and a bad guy. :no:

:applause: Props to LeBron.

Peteballa
07-15-2012, 04:18 PM
i think lebron made every single one of his fans wish come true this year by finally figuring out how to not choke when everythings on the line

Haha, indeed.

CeltsGarlic
07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
I read it all. Its was really nice thing to do from LBJ

code green
07-15-2012, 04:20 PM
bandwagon fan :sleeping

Foster5k
07-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Very kind of Lebron to do this for this kid.

People can say what they want to about Lebron. At the end of the day, the guy has done countless good deeds for charties, kids, familys, etc around the world. He has made dreams come true, like in this case.

Yes, he might be immature at times, but who isn't? He might rub people the wrong way sometimes, but who doesn't? Lebron is a stand up guy with a good heart.

Stories like these and countless other good deeds go unnoticed. However, soon as the guy does one somewhat questionable thing, it gets blown up. I guess that's what sells the papers. People want to hear bad news about people, so their own lives can seem somewhat tolerable. It's sad, but it's life.

Kews1
07-15-2012, 04:22 PM
GPOAT (Greatest Person of all Time) :lol

DFish
07-15-2012, 04:26 PM

This. Cancer or no cancer, how can you live in Georgia and bandwagon the Heat instead of being a Hawks fan?

Foster5k
07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
This. Cancer or no cancer, how can you live in Georgia and bandwagon the Heat instead of being a Hawks fan?
:biggums:

Man this kid got cancer and you guys questioning his fan status. :oldlol:

DaSeba5
07-15-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't recall LeBron ever doing anything bad in public. He's genuinely a nice guy. People who don't follow the Heat as close only judge him by what they see in the media.

Peteballa
07-15-2012, 04:31 PM

Generally I get angry at these kinds of posts, that take such a cynical and negative approach towards what should be a feel-good story, but I am not even mad. I just feel pity towards you and DFish for finding negativity in an act of pure human kindness. It's a shame.

You don't know anything about this kid. Maybe he has always been a Heat fan. Maybe he has always been a fan of LeBron. But of course you two jump to the conclusion that he is a bandwagon fan, only rooting for the winners.

Whatever, not my place to judge. Whatever helps you two sleep at night.

AlonzoGOAT
07-15-2012, 04:32 PM

Who gives a shit he's dying and even he has better life then you because he doesn't live life trying impress people on a message board by posting fake pictures. How's megan fox doing phagot?

Peteballa
Oh, and I applaud those giving this story 1-star. Any time any sort of positive article involving LeBron is posted, the 1-starring must ensue. :applause:

alwaysunny
He may be a douche, but he's always been a good guy.

DaSeba5
07-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Who gives a shit he's dying and even he has better life then you because he doesn't live life trying impress people on a message board by posting fake pictures. How's megan fox doing phagot?

:roll:

BrickingStar
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/MrCrane/OhSnapBlackKid.gif

Faptastrophe
07-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Watch out, we got a badass over here!
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here.gif

DFish
07-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Maybe he has always been a Heat fan. Maybe he has always been a fan of LeBron.

Neither of which rules out him being a bandwagoner. The kid is from Atlanta, and like many "Heat fans" he probably only calls himself a Heat fan because LeBron is on the team. Not a true fan, hence: bandwagoner.

Who gives a shit he's dying

No he isn't. They cured him after like 9 months of intensive chemo. If you had an adequate comprehension/reading level, you'd know that.

Cancer doesn't exonerate someone from the act of bandwagoning in my book.

Pacers4ever
07-15-2012, 04:44 PM

Lmao is this true? I want a link what did he post?

LA_Showtime
He may be a douche, but he's always been a good guy.

I agree, which is why his douche bag behavior continues to stump me. He has to be a genuinely good guy, everyone loves him. But for some reason he says/does stupid shit that makes him look like an ass.

DaSeba5
Who knew a thread about cancer would be entertaining?

I<3NBA
07-15-2012, 04:46 PM
i cried.

Cancer doesn't exonerate someone from the act of bandwagoning in my book.
yes. because bandwagoning is a bigger sin than being dbag = you

code green
07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Generally I get angry at these kinds of posts, that take such a cynical and negative approach towards what should be a feel-good story, but I am not even mad. I just feel pity towards you and DFish for finding negativity in an act of pure human kindness. It's a shame.

You don't know anything about this kid. Maybe he has always been a Heat fan. Maybe he has always been a fan of LeBron. But of course you two jump to the conclusion that he is a bandwagon fan, only rooting for the winners.

Whatever, not my place to judge. Whatever helps you two sleep at night.

Don't be so sensitive, it was a joke.

DFish
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
He wanted to change his middle name to LeBron. Let's not act like this Brazilian kid isn't on bandwagon overload.

AlonzoGOAT
07-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Lmao is this true? I want a link what did he post?

Link to thread http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238892
http://i.imgur.com/Dj0jb.jpg
That's the picture he claims he took of megan fox

and then i can't find the other one but he posted a fake bill receipt he had to pay for food and bragged about how expensive it was ect

RaininTwos
07-15-2012, 04:54 PM
ive spent a lot of time in fayette county....

anyways glad that the kid got to see bron, good for him.

Draz
07-15-2012, 05:18 PM
good shit lebron!

Doctor Rivers
07-15-2012, 05:30 PM
GPOAT (Greatest Person of all Time) :lol

props to lebron, but other star athletes do these type of things all the time. they're just usually not advertised.

NOHCP3
07-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Damnnnn Lebron can't even give a kid with cancer the best day of his life without people hating :lol

No one man should have all that power :roll:

NumberSix
07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
LeBron James is a terrible person.

ducktape
07-15-2012, 05:38 PM
lebron pretended he enjoyed this and just did it for the money and to make himself look like a good person

you think lebron is really a nice person? come on guys :lebroncry:

NOHCP3
07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
lebron pretended he enjoyed this and just did it for the money and to make himself look like a good person

you think lebron is really a nice person? come on guys :lebroncry:

:lebronamazed:

Doctor Rivers
07-15-2012, 05:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/features/mywish/news/story?id=2518313

The Orange County Register reported that Kobe Bryant has met or is scheduled to meet every person who has asked the Make-A-Wish Foundation for a chance to meet him. The total is approaching 100 children facing life-threatening illnesses.

noosaman
07-15-2012, 05:52 PM
You have to love how it's all set up by ESPN/NIke. Such a genuine guy, that lefraud!

ducktape
07-15-2012, 06:00 PM
ESPN = Every Single Person's Nipples

SpecialQue
07-15-2012, 06:01 PM

inb4 "Kobe visiting kids with cancer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lebron visiting kids with cancer."

LamarOdom
07-15-2012, 06:17 PM
lol Kobe's visit was better >> LeBron's

No but seriously LeBron is a great man, nice thing to do from him.

lilgodfather1
07-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Cool. I mean he is still a nacicist, self entitled, and a bit of a douche, but it's nice to see he didn't let that stop him from making a kids dream come true.

tomtucker
07-15-2012, 06:23 PM
he is taking his talents to the Intensive-care unit

pauk
07-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Great move by a great guy.

b1imtf
07-15-2012, 06:26 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/MrCrane/OhSnapBlackKid.gif
One of my favorite gifs of all time

Lebron23
07-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Great move by a great guy.

This

Unstoppabull
07-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Because the Hawks suck?

KyrieTheFuture
07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Some people...yea let's hate on a cancer patient for being a fan of a basketball player.

TheBigVeto
07-15-2012, 09:28 PM

:applause: :applause: :applause:

stallionaire
07-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Kobe would never do something like this. He'd rape the kids mom.

NOHCP3
07-15-2012, 09:37 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: Spit out my Gatorade. Shouldn't have laughed though

Doctor Rivers
07-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Kobr
07-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Kobe seems like he'd be more fun to hang out with than LeBron. Better sense of humor.

LeBron seems kind of awkward around anyone with a net worth below a million.

AlonzoGOAT
07-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Cliff Notes and what does it have to do with what you quoted? Did he rape his mom or something?

AlonzoGOAT
07-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Kobe seems like he'd be more fun to hang out with than LeBron. Better sense of humor.

LeBron seems kind of awkward around anyone with a net worth below a million.

You didn't watch the awkward as video with him and that girl lol?

StateOfMind12
07-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Cliff Notes and what does it have to do with what you quoted? Did he rape his mom or something?
It's about how Kobe actually did the same thing LeBron did in his video. I remember watching that Kobe video on TV. It was a kind gesture by Kobe but I'm sure these athletes do it all the time, it's just that not all of it gets televised.

AlonzoGOAT
07-15-2012, 10:04 PM
It's about how Kobe actually did the same thing LeBron did in his video. I remember watching that Kobe video on TV. It was a kind gesture by Kobe but I'm sure these athletes do it all the time, it's just that not all of it gets televised.

PR on both accounts

Prodigy
07-15-2012, 11:00 PM
I feel like Lebron is a decent human being. Just has the wrong people around him.