PDA

View Full Version : JR Smith - "Lin's contract would be a locker room problem"

StateOfMind12
07-15-2012, 11:13 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/15/3161419/jr-smith-jeremy-lin-contract-knicks-rockets

J.R. Smith 'Without A Doubt' Thinks Jeremy Lin Contract Could Be Locker Room Issue

"I'm sure the city would love to have him back, but the team decided to go in a different direction," Smith said. "It's nothing personal, I don't think, just business. We just hope everybody can benefit from here.

"I don't really know how Mr. Dolan feels at this point with what the luxury tax is now and what it used to be, but I just hope it works out the best for both of them."

Asked if Lin's contract could cause a challenging dynamic with his teammates, Smith agreed.

"Without a doubt," he said. "I think some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys."

I can't wait when Lin plays the Knicks and he torches them the same way Nash torched Dallas when they didn't re-sign him.

bmulls
07-15-2012, 11:15 PM
This quote should be in the dictionary next to the definition of jealousy.

D.J.
07-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Talk about butt hurt. :facepalm

IGOTGAME
07-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Jr needs to take notes because signing with new York was flat out stupid.

D.J.

It's not like J.R. had 10 teams interested in him.

Shepseskaf
What's so hard to understand about this? Lin was essentially a rookie who played a short stretch of really good games.

I can see veterans like JR having a problem with Lin making $30m.

KyrieTheFuture
Wow. The knicks are now my least favorite team in the league. Horrible FO and now the players are selling eachother out. Talk about jealous...I'm honestly disgusted.

ClutchOver9000
07-15-2012, 11:21 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/15/3161419/jr-smith-jeremy-lin-contract-knicks-rockets

I can't wait when Lin plays the Knicks and he torches these phags the same way Nash torched Dallas when they didn't re-sign him.

i understand your point but :lol at comparing Nash with Lin. If Lin was close to being the caliber of PG that Nash is, Knicks wouldn't have let him sniff the market...

Qwyjibo
07-15-2012, 11:21 PM
The Knicks really need to give their players some PR lessons. Holy crap are some of the guys coming off as idiots with what they're saying.

Nash
07-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Who the feck are these guys that have been doing it longer and deserves more money than Lin? JR himself? Rest are just old players already received big checks.

AK47DR91
His signing was useless. All he did was go 4 for 16 almost every game he palyed in last season.

D.J.
The Knicks really need to give their players some PR lessons. Holy crap are some of the guys coming off as idiots with what they're saying.

PR lesson #1- Shut the f*ck up

IGOTGAME
07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
It's not like J.R. had 10 teams interested in him.
He had lal and spurs interested last year'

ClutchOver9000
07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Wow. The knicks are now my least favorite team in the league. Horrible FO and now the players are selling eachother out. Talk about jealous...I'm honestly disgusted.

:rolleyes: sure, NOW they're your least fav team but not 10 min ago. Because you know, 10 min ago the FO wasn't as horrible am I right?

D.J.
07-15-2012, 11:24 PM
He had lal and spurs interested last year'

2 teams(3 including the Knicks). It's not like he had a long list of suitors.

NOHCP3
07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
PR disaster that squad has become :lol

Kidd-Melo-JR

It's okay to say "that's a front office issue"

SevereUpInHere

JR obviously isn't smart enough to tiptoe around the direct question he was asked.

I don't like any of this. I just want it to all be resolved asap. I'm starting to hope we don't match and Shump locks his ass up next time we play them.

L.Kizzle
Be real, y'all would be pissed to if some guy who barley made the team had a hot month and is not gettin a $15 mill contract.

:lol

PP34Deuce
Factor in Lebron,melo, and Druant didnt get MAX type money til 4 years later...

Factor in other undrafted or 2nd round talented gems that didnt get that lucrative contract til 3-4 years later...

I agree with the players. Lin to me is a decent player who had a crazy run. When you average out everything good and bad, you are looking at a 14ppg 6 assists player.... Which is solid....

DuMa
07-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Knicks storylines never fail to disappoint

IGOTGAME
Plus clippers and there were prob more.

AK47DR91
I'm not even sure if the Spurs really wanted him. He doesn't seen like the type of player they want.

I think it was the Clippers, not the Lakers, that wanted him because of the Kenyon Martin connection. Worked out great for the Clippers because they ended up getting Nick Young later on instead.

Sarcastic
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
JR signed below his market value to stay with the Knicks. He has every right to make the comments that he did.

ClutchOver9000
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Knicks storylines never fail to disappoint

:pimp: :applause: :rockon:

KyrieTheFuture
07-15-2012, 11:29 PM
:rolleyes: sure, NOW they're your least fav team but not 10 min ago. Because you know, 10 min ago the FO wasn't as horrible am I right?

This put me over the top is that really that hard to believe? I've been constantly saying their FO is bad but that doesn't make them my least favorite team. Their complete disrespect to the concept of the team both on and off the court is a joke.

Rekindled
07-15-2012, 11:29 PM
how much you wanna bet if lin was black JR wouldnt have had a problem. eddy curry was making 10m a year while sitting on the bench, no one said a word in the lockeroom

PJR
07-15-2012, 11:30 PM
These Knicks dudes are idiots.....:oldlol:

Sarcastic
07-15-2012, 11:31 PM
how much you wanna bet if lin was black JR wouldnt have had a problem. eddy curry was making 10m a year while sitting on the bench, no one said a word in the lockeroom

No, they just said it in every fcking newspaper, website, etc every day.

Real Men Wear Green
07-15-2012, 11:31 PM
What's so hard to understand about this? Lin was essentially a rookie who played a short stretch of really good games.

I can see veterans like JR having a problem with Lin making $30m.
If JR is feeling jealous he needs to look in the mirror. He had Ray Allen-type physical talent and has instead become a poor man's Ricky Davis. If he spent his offseasons in the gym instead of the tattoo parlor he'd be getting paid too.

ClutchOver9000
07-15-2012, 11:32 PM
This put me over the top is that really that hard to believe? I've been constantly saying their FO is bad but that doesn't make them my least favorite team. Their complete disrespect to the concept of the team both on and off the court is a joke.

yes.

cheers.

Real Men Wear Green
07-15-2012, 11:33 PM
To be fair, everyone was trashing Curry. Heck, I remember trashing Curry. "Touch it, Dave" and all that wild ish.

Cone
who cares? lin sucks. hes not gonna do shit. overpayed to all hell

spiegel

I can't wait when Lin plays the Knicks and he torches them the same way Nash torched Dallas when they didn't re-sign him.
You better not jump on the Rockets bandwagon again and call you'reself a longtime fan like you did as rocketsgreatness.

martycrane
07-15-2012, 11:34 PM
i dont even like jr smif but honestly they led him in a direction wit the question and he just affirmed it mildly, doubt he actually put any real stock into his own answer. seems like he was just goin wit the flow of the question.

i can see why players get annoyed havin to always talk to the media, seems annoyin as funk.

Shepseskaf
If you actually read what JR said, he was talking about time spent in the league. Curry may be parked on the bench, but he's a vet who's paid his dues.

D.J.

Everyone and their mother was ripping Curry a new one. It was all over NYC newspapers, online, NBA on ESPN, Sportscenter...

StateOfMind12
You better not jump on the Rockets bandwagon again and call you'reself a longtime fan like you did as rocketsgreatness.
I won't root for Lin in Houston unless he is playing against the Knicks. I hope the Rockets trade Lin to Orlando for Howard though in December/January when they can trade for him. I want Lin to stay away from this garbage and dumb organization where they have phags like you as fans.

Oh yeah, how many times has Tmac gotten past the 1st round?

Zackmorris
07-15-2012, 11:36 PM

mmhmm...yeap...NO ONE said anything :rolleyes:

Shepseskaf
07-15-2012, 11:38 PM
I hope the Rockets trade Lin to Orlando for Howard though in December/January when they can trade for him.
Did you really mean to say that?

Real Men Wear Green
If you actually read what JR said, he was talking about time spent in the league. Curry may be parked on the bench, but he's a vet who's paid his dues.
Bullshit. Like, literally, he came from the Bulls, and played like shit. Never hustled, weakest rebounding allegedly talented big man in the game pre-Bargnani. Also a terrible defender, and dangerously out of shape to the point where he had heart problems. Probably diabetic. An NBA player should never come anywhere near his level of fatness. Paid his dues? How? He came in, skated on talent to millions and didn't show anything remotely resembling a work ethic until he was out of the league basically for being shitty.

jbot
that's what i'm thinking. i wonder how their team chemistry is gonna be.

RazorBaLade
07-15-2012, 11:39 PM
kid he put up better numbers in 3 games as a rookie than u ever have in ur career

KyrieTheFuture
07-15-2012, 11:40 PM
yes.

cheers.

:confusedshrug:

Ok then sorry I think teammates should have each other's backs in public. It's fine if they think that he's overpaid but they're selling him out to the media. That's just wrong.

StateOfMind12
07-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Did you really mean to say that?
Yes, although I wouldn't mind if Lin played with Howard in Houston. I heard that it's possible that the Rockets could just trade for Howard later and during the season if they could end up getting Lin and use Lin as a trade chip to make Orlando trade Howard for the Rockets assets.

NuggetsFan
07-15-2012, 11:41 PM
JR signed below his market value to stay with the Knicks. He has every right to make the comments that he did.

People can say whatever they want. Doesn't mean it's not stupid when they choose to do so. It's just not needed. Anybody with a brain cell knows not to respond like that. J.R doesn't really care tho.

Shepseskaf
07-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Yes, although I wouldn't mind if Lin played with Howard in Houston. I heard that it's possible that the Rockets could just trade for Howard later and during the season if they could end up getting Lin and use Lin as a trade chip to make Orlando trade Howard for the Rockets assets.
Under what circumstances do you think that Orlando would consider Lin as a key piece in a possible Howard trade?

Sarcastic
07-15-2012, 11:44 PM
People can say whatever they want. Doesn't mean it's not stupid when they choose to do so. It's just not needed. Anybody with a brain cell knows not to respond like that. J.R doesn't really care tho.

I doubt he went out of his way to make the comments. I doubt he said:"Hey reporters come here, I have something to say about Jeremy Lin's contract".

More likely, some reporter came to him and started asking questions.

I may be wrong, but that's what I think happened.

Unstoppabull
07-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Jealousy.

asnstyle3
07-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Under what circumstances do you think that Orlando would consider Lin as a key piece in a possible Howard trade?

No, because he can't be traded to any team until January.

boozehound
07-15-2012, 11:49 PM
No, they just said it in every fcking newspaper, website, etc every day.
find me one quote of one of his teammates saying something directly disparaging about currys contract. you are ****ing full of it.

Droid101
07-15-2012, 11:49 PM
JR is going to get ****ing torched by Lin this season. I need to set reminders for both the Knick/Rocket games... Jesus.

boozehound
07-15-2012, 11:50 PM
No, because he can't be traded to any team until January.
actually, because it would be a matched offersheet, he can only be traded with his consent for the first year. thats why the nets offered and signed lopez before anyone else could, so they could move him at jan 15th.

AK47DR91
07-15-2012, 11:56 PM
find me one quote of one of his teammates saying something directly disparaging about currys contract. you are ****ing full of it.
Yeah, it's one thing for the media and fans to say shit about a player's contract but teammates, hell, not even rival players don't say shit about other player's contracts or negotiation deals.

That's why you always hear players saying something like, "He(LeBron) has to do what's best for himself and his family." I believe that was a quote from Kobe prior to the Decision.

PejaNowitzki
07-15-2012, 11:59 PM

No he doesn't, he should have gotten what he's worth if that's the case and if he's not worth what Lin is being paid then tough shit, dude's just mad because the goofy Asian guy is going to be making significantly more bank than he's ever been offered, needs to calm his jealous, bitter ass the **** down.

TOUCH MY BODY
07-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Linsanity is going to release the dragon on the Knicks.

b0bab0i
07-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Bulls also.

Borat
07-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Dumb comment to make publically, no point defending it.

stallionaire
07-16-2012, 12:12 AM
christmas game needs to be Lin in madison square garden

Blue&Orange
07-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Is Jr trying to influence the Knicks FO decision buy implying he would be upset?

:lol

Jr knows if the Knicks keep Lin, there won't be money left for him.

Linspired
07-16-2012, 12:34 AM
jealousy is a little b!@!atch

i bet they hated Lin's jersey being #2 best seller too. and Lin's jersey was only sold for about 2 month, so basically Lin's jersey was #1 seller.

mark
07-16-2012, 12:37 AM

Lin is marketable but he is NOT AT ALL an effective nba player. NY knew this, and was intelligent enough to sidestep a guy who's been cut several times. Have you seen his atrocious assist turnover ratio???

Kiddlovesnets
07-16-2012, 12:38 AM
lol are we gonna act like the Knicks do not have any locker room problem right now?

swi7ch
07-16-2012, 12:55 AM
LIN was undefeated when he was the #1, #2, #3 up to #10 option on offense and beat elite teams like LAL and DAL.

Draz
07-16-2012, 01:01 AM
It's true. Lin tries leaving ny so quick.

kennethgriffin
07-16-2012, 01:05 AM
why do black people only get mad when someone of another race gets a big contract they dont diserve

where was jr smith when rashard lewis got his 20 mill

50inchvertical
07-16-2012, 01:25 AM
why do black people only get mad when someone of another race gets a big contract they dont diserve

Denver, and Shard Lewis didn't come onto JR Smith's team so his opinion was never asked. What a stupid comparison.

B
07-16-2012, 01:35 AM
:lol Knicks are going to be entertaining next season. What's the over under on implosion? Trade deadline? all star break?

Pointguard
07-16-2012, 01:37 AM
"I'm sure the city would love to have him back, but the team decided to go in a different direction," Smith said. "It's nothing personal, I don't think, just business. We just hope everybody can benefit from here.

"I don't really know how Mr. Dolan feels at this point with what the luxury tax is now and what it used to be, but I just hope it works out the best for both of them."

Asked if Lin's contract could cause a challenging dynamic with his teammates, Smith agreed.

"Without a doubt," he said. "I think some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys."

Did everybody read that wrong??? Before the questioning he gives a comment that wishes Lin well. After questioning, he's asked to make a human nature comment. A natural comment that everybody knows is out there. They're competitors so it should be double the madness on these boards (please see the un-natural hate that spoiled these boards when Rose went down). The question is so obvious he doesn't have to give the "no comment." Sure its good PR to move away but I believe they were told to dog Lin. Its not like Lin is deserving of roses or even the praise JR gave him. He wasn't around long enough for praise.

He had a one way relationship - he was made here, he got crazy love, and he put the team through a lot and now has forced the teams hand.

What I do find interesting JR's acting like the decision not to sign him has been discussed among team-mates.

atljonesbro
07-16-2012, 01:38 AM
LOL JR Smith is almost as dumb as some of the posters on here :roll:

The Knicks as a whole :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

B
07-16-2012, 01:42 AM
Did everybody read that wrong??? Before the questioning he gives a comment that wishes Lin well. After questioning, he's asked to make a human nature comment. A natural comment that everybody knows is out there. They're competitors so it should be double the madness on these boards (please see the un-natural hate that spoiled these boards when Rose went down). The question is so obvious he doesn't have to give the "no comment." Sure its good PR to move away but I believe they were told to dog Lin. Its not like Lin is deserving of roses or even the praise JR gave him.

What I do find interesting JR's acting like the decision not to sign him has been discussed among team-mates.:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: you and Niko.. Two greatest spin doctors on ISH. Just stop, holy crap you guys are funny.:lol

disel
07-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Did everybody read that wrong??? Before the questioning he gives a comment that wishes Lin well. After questioning, he's asked to make a human nature comment. A natural comment that everybody knows is out there. They're competitors so it should be double the madness on these boards (please see the un-natural hate that spoiled these boards when Rose went down). The question is so obvious he doesn't have to give the "no comment." Sure its good PR to move away but I believe they were told to dog Lin. Its not like Lin is deserving of roses or even the praise JR gave him. He wasn't around long enough for praise. He had a one way relationship - he was made here, he got crazy love, and he put the team through a lot and now has forced the teams hand.

What I do find interesting JR's acting like the decision not to sign him has been discussed among team-mates.
smith is preaching da word.

Lakers Legend#32
07-16-2012, 01:45 AM
$30 mil? That's linsanity!

DKLaker
07-16-2012, 01:48 AM

Hmmmm, Let's see......Lin is a Harvard Grad,

J.R is a tattooed freak with a tattoo freak girlfriend and a choking sister.

Gimme Lin :D

LMAO at these butthurt millionares crying because somebody got more money........truly pathetic and classless. The crybabies need to spend some time with regular people......and homeless people to get a reality check.

Pointguard
07-16-2012, 01:48 AM
[QUOTE=B

coin24
07-16-2012, 01:49 AM
How dumb are people on here seriously:facepalm

Lin fu*king sucks.. It was a nice 10 or 12 game stretch when everyone was injured but that doesn't warrant a huge contract:facepalm

He's a turnover machine and overrated as fu*k. Well all see this season in Houston when he achieves nothing...
Jr smith is 100% correct.
Same as Carmelo.
Seeing as they are the ones in the locker room and playing the games, I'd take there word for it that Lin isn't worth a pinch of shit.

B
07-16-2012, 01:49 AM
LOL, I didn't spin that much here. Really I didn't. I did in the other thread tho.Haha, yeah you did. You have a career in politics waiting for you

Pointguard
07-16-2012, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=B

ripthekik
07-16-2012, 02:36 AM
Wow Knicks.. :roll:
Players turning on each other already.. the stupidity of Melo and Smith :lol

Lin is totally worth the money by the way. His jersey and merchandise after january prob made more money for nike than any other player they have except kobe

The Iron Fist
07-16-2012, 02:42 AM
These Knicks players are mad because more than likely, Lin will actually have money left when his career is over.

DKLaker
07-16-2012, 02:59 AM
These Knicks players are mad because more than likely, Lin will actually have money left when his career is over.

:applause: :applause: :roll: :roll: :roll:

yeaaaman
07-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Bullshit. Like, literally, he came from the Bulls, and played like shit. Never hustled, weakest rebounding allegedly talented big man in the game pre-Bargnani. Also a terrible defender, and dangerously out of shape to the point where he had heart problems. Probably diabetic. An NBA player should never come anywhere near his level of fatness. Paid his dues? How? He came in, skated on talent to millions and didn't show anything remotely resembling a work ethic until he was out of the league basically for being shitty.

I was going to respond to this, but this was more than sufficient. wtf was that guy talking about "paid his dues", what by showing up?

TheBigVeto
07-16-2012, 03:40 AM
Denver, and Shard Lewis didn't come onto JR Smith's team so his opinion was never asked. What a stupid comparison.

No it isn't stupid. It's valid and racist people don't have answer for it.

MiseryCityTexas
07-16-2012, 07:29 AM

Jr Smith was on another team. lol Lewis never played for the Nuggets.

willds09
07-16-2012, 07:34 AM
they need lin reguardless

Shepseskaf
07-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Alright, 'paid his dues' was a poor choice of words in regard to Curry.

I think the main sticking point with Lin, though, is that he's essentially a rookie asking for a bunch of money based on a handful of games. At least Curry has been in the league for a while, albeit not as a high performer.

ZenMaster
07-16-2012, 07:50 AM
I doubt he went out of his way to make the comments. I doubt he said:"Hey reporters come here, I have something to say about Jeremy Lin's contract".

More likely, some reporter came to him and started asking questions.

I may be wrong, but that's what I think happened.

And that's when you say: "Jeremy needs to do what's best for him and his family, all that is for management to decide."

StroShow4
07-16-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm not an advocate of many things JR Smith has said/done, but there is really nothing wrong with this comment. In his opinion, some veteran players may not feel that Lin has earned $25 million. So what? I'm sure he's right.

willds09
07-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Wow Knicks.. :roll:
Players turning on each other already.. the stupidity of Melo and Smith :lol

Lin is totally worth the money by the way. His jersey and merchandise after january prob made more money for nike than any other player they have except kobe
:biggums:

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 08:21 AM
And that's when you say: "Jeremy needs to do what's best for him and his family, all that is for management to decide."

Did you read the complete comment?

He did say something to that effect.

niko
07-16-2012, 08:23 AM
He didn't say anything wrong. He didn't even say anything that controversial. Controversial to me is something that needs be resolved prior to stepping on the court.

JR is ridiculously immature and has no filter. We should just post a THINGS JR SAYS thread and sticky it for the season.

nathanjizzle
07-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Another idiot that doesn't know how quotations work.

willds09
07-16-2012, 08:25 AM
anti knicks fans are just jealous cuz we representing tha mecca of basketball, theres no other way

ZenMaster
07-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Did you read the complete comment?

Yes I did and as a player it's unethical to say these things concerning other players contracts.

He also creates a future media story line if Lin's contract is matched: who's jealous of Jeremy Lin and how big is the locker room problem?

The Ownage
07-16-2012, 08:47 AM
These players need to remain quiet :facepalm stop causing rifts in between the team. Lin surely will not come back now :(

GOBB
07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
These players need to remain quiet :facepalm stop causing rifts in between the team. Lin surely will not come back now :(

His comments aren't going to cause any issues. If he didn't say what he did? Jr and players would STILL feel some type of way for a guy having a short stretch getting a ridiculous contract offer. If fans put aside the silly Linsanity crap and use common sense? What's being said is what most people would feel. Including avg 9-5 joes.

bmulls
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
His comments aren't going to cause any issues. If he didn't say what he did? Jr and players would STILL feel some type of way for a guy having a short stretch getting a ridiculous contract offer. If fans put aside the silly Linsanity crap and use common sense? What's being said is what most people would feel. Including avg 9-5 joes.

He's worth what somebody is willing to pay him...doesn't matter what JR or average 9-5 Joe's think he should earn.

niko
07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
He's worth what somebody is willing to pay him...doesn't matter what JR or average 9-5 Joe's think he should earn.

It still is going to bother people. What JR said is valid. The fact you think it's not fair for people to feel that way is irrelevent. I don't think it's fair myself. But people do feel that way.

yeaaaman
07-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Exactly, he's worth what someone is willing to pay. If JR was worth more or "deserved" more, he'd get it. If he doesn't like that he should go get a regular 9-5 and see how that works for him.

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Yes I did and as a player it's unethical to say these things concerning other players contracts.

He also creates a future media story line if Lin's contract is matched: who's jealous of Jeremy Lin and how big is the locker room problem?

He didn't say anything about Lin's contract. He said how it would be perceived in the locker room, when asked.

ZenMaster
07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
He didn't say anything about Lin's contract. He said how it would be perceived in the locker room, when asked.

You're defending your players blindly.

As a player you should never ever comment on other players contract negotiations in any way, they all know this.

He's also putting his teammates in the line of fire by speaking publicly on their behalf.

07-16-2012, 11:03 AM
anti knicks fans are just jealous cuz we representing tha mecca of basketball, theres no other way

Talk about drug baby,

You know Mecca isn't a word right, it's a city? And it's hardly the "Mecca" of basketball, do you know just how sacred Mecca is in relation to anywhere else in the Islamic world? Yea, everyone is just DYING to get to New York.

I get it, sheep regurgitate whatever they hear, you heard the term 'Mecca of basketball' and now you have to parrot that phrase with inglorious ignorance. New York is one of many cool places to be in the United States, it's one of many basketball hubs.

willds09
07-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Talk about drug baby,

You know Mecca isn't a word right, it's a city? And it's hardly the "Mecca" of basketball, do you know just how sacred Mecca is in relation to anywhere else in the Islamic world? Yea, everyone is just DYING to get to New York.

I get it, sheep regurgitate whatever they hear, you heard the term 'Mecca of basketball' and now you have to parrot that phrase with inglorious ignorance. New York is one of many cool places to be in the United States, it's one of many basketball hubs.
bottom line is when u think about basketball u think about new york, rucker park, streetballin, jordan and melo's birthplace etc.

Raz
07-16-2012, 11:09 AM

I think Smith and Anthony are right, in a way. The Knicks would be idiots to match the contract, especially now with Felton, Kidd and that Euro PG in the fold.

Anthony called it a ridiculous contract - how is he not correct?

Smith was wrong to say that Knicks players would be jealous. He shouldn't be speaking for the rest of the team - he basically said he would be jealous.

Lin's contract is ridiculous, and the Rockets deserve to pay it now.

PejaNowitzki
07-16-2012, 11:13 AM
I think Smith and Anthony are right, in a way. The Knicks would be idiots to match the contract, especially now with Felton, Kidd and that Euro PG in the fold.

Anthony called it a ridiculous contract - how is he not correct?

Smith was wrong to say that Knicks players would be jealous. He shouldn't be speaking for the rest of the team - he basically said he would be jealous.

Lin's contract is ridiculous, and the Rockets deserve to pay it now.

I don't think the contract is ridiculous at all based on his drawing power, especially with the Asian demographic. He'll make money for whatever team signs him, A LOT of money, wins or losses aside, he's going to be a huge marketing bonus and that alone makes him a bargain at any price.

All Net
07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
JR isn't off base here...

GOBB
07-16-2012, 11:32 AM

He didn't do anything to earn or prove he is worth it. Houston is banking on him being worth it and they also know NYK can match what they offer so they threw a ridiculous amount at the end of the deal. There is no justification to say for 1 year he is worth close to $15,000,000. Houston actually raised the amount which any same human being would take that as them trying to make NYK think twice about matching given the finances of it all. It was a case of we will do this because we know if u match? In Lin 3rd year youll be paying luxury tax. So he better be worth it to u to pay the penalties plus yearly salary.

My avg joe comment stems from being in the work force who notice someoe get a pay raise, bonus when they just got there. Vs people who have experience time and put in work over a period of time. The feelings amongst coworkers will be similar to what Jr Smith comments uttered. Which is why I said its common sense for people to feel upset at a situation like this. You dot deal with common sense.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
The only way I could see this as being ridiculous is if the Knicks are locked on Lin's contract and can't sign any free agents or do anything about it. But that's not the case, he is a tradeable asset if given the proper playing time and his on-the-floor play shouldn't diminish rapid especially when his competition is only Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton.

If Lin does well the first two years, his trade value could bring in a high caliber point guard like Chris Paul. Let's say the Clippers extend Paul for a contract that's worth $18-$20 per season. Put Lin's 3rd year $14.8 mill on the line with a couple of filler, that would match Paul's salary. With way the Clippers are, they might just do this if the Paul-Griffin experience doesn't work out. Sterling would do such a trade just to get more money and revenue.

The first two years is still a bargain, you should give Lin a chance for a full season.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Every player I've heard have said this. Kobe included.

But that's the difference between an articulate guy like Kobe and a dumbass like JR Smith.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Lin is gonna get his millions regardless. He signed a muli-milion dollar deal with some car company during the weeks of Linsanity.

Companies and sponsors are throwing money at him, regardless, so why even be bothered getting upset over something they nor Lin can control?

wang4three
07-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Sounds pretty contradictory. At one point he says it's nothing personal, it's about business, and then the next he's saying how they're going to take his contract personally.

Translation: I jealous and dislike Jeremy. I'm glad he's gone.

FireDavidKahn
07-16-2012, 12:03 PM
JR Smith is a locker room problem.

GOBB
07-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Lin is gonna get his millions regardless. He signed a muli-milion dollar deal with some car company during the weeks of Linsanity.

Companies and sponsors are throwing money at him, regardless, so why even be bothered getting upset over something they nor Lin can control?

Because I live in a world called reality. And there it's natural to look at someone be given a ridiculous amount of money when his body of work is small. He was cut, played in NBDL and his short stint (didn't even play in postseason) warrants this kind of contract? And the fact people. Any see anything wrong with him making $15mil in 1 season is laughable. Is it because the underdog story is still appealing to you? Who knows. The way players are rewarded can be ridiculous. This is or of them. And for fans like yourself to shrug and ask what's the big deal? Why care u can't control this is silly. Maybe when you take a vacation to the real world that question isn't applied.

yeaaaman
07-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Because I live in a world called reality. And there it's natural to look at someone be given a ridiculous amount of money when his body of work is small. He was cut, played in NBDL and his short stint (didn't even play in postseason) warrants this kind of contract? And the fact people. Any see anything wrong with him making $15mil in 1 season is laughable. Is it because the underdog story is still appealing to you? Who knows. The way players are rewarded can be ridiculous. This is or of them. And for fans like yourself to shrug and ask what's the big deal? Why care u can't control this is silly. Maybe when you take a vacation to the real world that question isn't applied.

You do have a point, but I really believe if someone wants to pay him that, then that's their business. If it negatively effects or hurts JR Smiths ego that speaks to him no to Lin. I'd be more concerned about JR focusing on bettering himself as a player with all the god given talent he has he can go out and EARN a better contract for himself - if he so chooses to put his energies in that direction. Or, he can put his energy into worrying about another man's food, while he's eating quite well himself. Meh just my two cents.

willds09
07-16-2012, 12:09 PM
JR Smith is a locker room problem.

heavensdevil
07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
why are these guys all hating on Lin?, Jr smith and Melo have never before commented on contracts and what not... but now that Lin is getting a huge deal they want to start playing GM?, seems to me, that these two guys feel threatened by Lins popularity... am I the only one who feels this way?

Pointguard
07-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Alright, 'paid his dues' was a poor choice of words in regard to Curry.

I think the main sticking point with Lin, though, is that he's essentially a rookie asking for a bunch of money based on a handful of games. At least Curry has been in the league for a while, albeit not as a high performer.
Curry was an attraction because no other big-man really had several deep post moves at that time outside of him and Shaq. He was an unique commodity that a team could build an inside/outside game around He was over paid too, tho.

The problem with Lin is that he seemed to work against the Knicks when he was on his way outside the league only months ago. He is supposed to go after the money but if he had any confidence in his ability he would have made a lot more here even under this contract due to endorsements. His worldwide appeal would also be a ton stronger. His next contract would have been more than what Houston is going to do cause the Knicks have a history of loading up. With Ivory league education they usually tell you to see yourself in the 10 year plan.

I find it interesting that Lin went for the four year plan which is 5 million more guaranteed. With confidence in his ability and playing on the Knicks, much more exposure (local and worldwide), with the possibility of unique promotions abroad, definite second round appearances, and the possibilities of opening up the exposure he said wanted for his word, and a very real possibility of earning 20 million more in the 10 year plan. I think Yao Ming sold him on the idea. Its Lin's choice... .

Bottom line now is that the Knicks would have been better off without having given him the chance to shine. He went from seriously thinking about going to plan B in his career/life to living his dream in 2 months time. No thanks, no consideration, no Christian pleasantries. The second he got some value on he ran away with the quickness. You can never trust a guy like that but its the world we live in today. Certainly isn't Lin alone.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
That reality you're referring to is jealousy and nothing more. It's really none of my business, nor yours, nor JR's to say how much this person's performance is worth to the eyes of the company or people he's luring in. We don't control what the market or a team value of a player.

In my reality, I see my supervisors and bosses making twice or triple the money I'm making even though I'm doing twice the work. What kind of feeling do I get from that? Jealousy. What can I do or say about that? Nothing. In this case, neither Smith nor you or I have any say to what the Rockets or Knicks want to pay him.

GOBB
07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
That reality you're referring to is jealousy and nothing more. It's really none of my business, nor yours, nor JR's to say how much this person's performance is worth to the eyes of the company or people he's luring in. We don't control what the market or a team value of a player.

In my reality, I see my supervisors and bosses making twice or triple the money I'm making even though I'm doing twice the work. What kind of feeling do I get from that? Jealousy. What can I do or say about that? Nothing. In this case, neither Smith nor you or I have any say to what the Rockets or Knicks want to pay him.

When it comes to Lin all of a sudden players aren't overpaid. What players get is fine, not ridiculous or anything. They get contract and we move on. Funny how they works when it comes to Lin. This type of argument is t made when others are overpaid. But hey it's Lin so whatever. Now it's none of anyone's business. :oldlol:

Whatever.

Pretty sure melo and smith would love Lin back and are upset at the tactic Houston used to lure Lin away. But they aren't allowed to feel that way eith probably. Ah well

niko
07-16-2012, 12:50 PM
When it comes to Lin all of a sudden players aren't overpaid. What players get is fine, not ridiculous or anything. They get contract and we move on. Funny how they works when it comes to Lin. This type of argument is t made when others are overpaid. But hey it's Lin so whatever. Now it's none of anyone's business. :oldlol:

Whatever.

Pretty sure melo and smith would love Lin back and are upset at the tactic Houston used to lure Lin away. But they aren't allowed to feel that way eith probably. Ah well
If you actually look at the entirety of what Melo said (which is not allowed because then people cannot whine) it was basically him being told Lin could not be afforded by the Knicks because of the contract, which he then referred to as ridiculous. Basically in it's entirety, he seemed annoyed they were losing Lin.

But nope, can't look at that, can only look at the snippet because that would suggest Melo in a vacuum walked over LIN'S OVERPAID! because he's just a asshole.

dunksby
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Lin brings 10 times more than what this moron does to the team.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 12:59 PM

Whatever.

The $15 million on the 3rd year is definitely overpaying. I don't disagree with that. But I'm still sticking to my point that they should take a chance on Lin for the first two seasons while he's still cheap and valueable.

This franchise never cared about what's down the road 3 or 4 years from the present but now all the sudden they do when Lin is up for a contract?

Anything could happen by summer of 2014, maybe that $15 million will come in handy to trade for a much better superstar-caliber player. And yes, some teams will take on Lin's $15 million if he's still decent and can generate revenues.

GOBB
07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
If you actually look at the entirety of what Melo said (which is not allowed because then people cannot whine) it was basically him being told Lin could not be afforded by the Knicks because of the contract, which he then referred to as ridiculous. Basically in it's entirety, he seemed annoyed they were losing Lin.

But nope, can't look at that, can only look at the snippet because that would suggest Melo in a vacuum walked over LIN'S OVERPAID! because he's just a asshole.

Ahhhh see I knew there was more to the Melo quote.

LJJ
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
"Without a doubt," he said. "I think some guys take it personal, because they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet. I think it's a tough subject to touch on for a lot of guys." -JR Smith

Funny, given the make up of the Knicks roster the only player he can be talking about is himself.

He basically just said that he sees Lin's contract as a personal insult directed towards him. What a candy-assgot.

niko
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Ahhhh see I knew there was more to the Melo quote.
Note: it would have been smarter of him not to use the word ridiculous but the initial tweets (the second one) even says he's referring to the structure and the Knicks not matching. Literally no one, this board, the media criticizing, etc. cares because then it's not a discussion topic.

The Ownage
07-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I agree with what you say. I also agree that Lin is being overpaid by far. But talking publicly about someone who is your teammate and you may play with again for a year (or more) is not going to make it easier for them to get along. He should just have kept quiet about it in public rather than cause tension. As for the overpaying part, I only support it because that's how pathetic our PG position really is.

I heard Knicks would have to pay $52 in the 3rd year for Lin. In that case, its obvious we don't match the offer sheet but we're doomed if we do, doomed if we don't.

chocolatethunder
07-16-2012, 03:29 PM
No he doesn't. He chose to do what he felt was best for him at the time, which Lin also did. What's right for one isn't always right for another. JR has had plenty of time to make his money. Lin, on the other hand because of how he came into the league may be more concerned with his time being limited in the league and is getting all he can now. I don't get why this is a problem. He was offered this money. During the lockout everyone here was up in arms because players were taking the money that GMs were offering them. I don't see how anyone can complain about this especially JR Smith who has been stealing money ever since he's been in the league and has hardly been a "locker room" guy. Remember, JR Smith of all people is passing judgement on someone. The dude's gonna get paid. If JR wanted money so badly then he should have gone somewhere else. Of course his options are limited because of his past/reputation.

shortsoptional
07-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Funny, given the make up of the Knicks roster the only player he can be talking about is himself.

Exactly what I thought.

bagelred
07-16-2012, 03:35 PM
JR Smith is now the voice of the Knicks locker room.

F-ck my life.

Batz
07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
JR Smith is now the voice of the Knicks locker room.

F-ck my life.
**** it indeed.

bagelred
07-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Steve Aschburner ‏@AschNBA

Blaming Jeremy Lin for lux.tax issues in NY = 6 fat guys in elevator ripping skinny 7th guy who boards last, trips buzzer.

Well said. :applause:

Amare will be making $23.4 million in 2014. How's that for value? And $20 million this year too.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Well said. :applause:

Amare will be making $23.4 million in 2014. How's that for value? And $20 million this year too.
I posted this in one of the dozens or so Lin/Knicks contract threads.

Carmelo:
2012-13: $20,463,024.
2013-14: $22,407,474.
2014-15: $24,351,924 [Player Option] (30 years old by the start of the season)

Amare:
2012-13: $19,948,799.
2013-14: $21,679,893.
2014-15: $23,410,988. (32 years old by the start of the season)

Chandler:
2012-13: $13,604,188.
2013-14: $14,100,538.
2014-15: $14,596,888. (32 years old by the start of the season)

Lin:
2012-13: $5 million
2013-14: $5.225 million
2014-15: $14.8 million (26 by the start of the season)
2015-16: about $4 million

They can make always trade away either Chandler and/or Amare before the 2014-15 season since they'll be both be 32 already. They can also trade Lin if he's not worth the money anymore.

They have a lot of options not to at least try the Melo-Amare-Chandler-Lin experiment for one or two full seasons.

Seriously, are the Knicks really thinking about 2014-15 already?

They can have Lin, Melo, Amare, and Chadler for next season easily. See how each player do as they age the next two seasons, then make changes in 2014.

If they're so worried about the 2014-15 season, then they should be even more worried about the 2015-16 season cuz that's gonna be a rebuilding season if shit don't work out from Amare, Melo and Chandler.

NLZ
07-16-2012, 03:58 PM
"they've been doing it longer and haven't received any reward for it yet"

Is this guy ******** stupid? "any reward"... they're making millions of dollars, all of them. There's JR Smith for ya.

bagelred
07-16-2012, 04:05 PM
I posted this in one of the dozens or so Lin/Knicks contract threads.

It's ironic. Think of all the overpaid players around the league, who make absolutely no difference in their teams revenue stream. Literally dozens of these overpaid guys who could just disappear and no one would care or notice.

You finally have a guy who makes a real TANGIBLE difference in the revenue generated in the organization. A HUGE difference. Who, by the way, would be UNDERPAID these next 2 years, before we get to that ONE year of overpayment. Oh and by the way, he's 23 years old, and pretty good basketball player too........just a side note. People forget how good Lin really was last year.

And NOW money is the issue. :oldlol: "He's just not a good value". :oldlol:

The Knicks have THREE YEARS to figure out how to avoid that high luxury tax bill. Or I should say, up to the trade deadline in 2015. They're worried about it now?

It has nothing to do with money. It's all Dolan and his ego. Always choosing the wrong management team. Always the wrong personnel decisions. He just doesn't care.

Blue&Orange
07-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Knicks will match, Knicks have to match...

Knicks were willing to match the $9 million on third year offer, that's just a $6 mil difference for the new offer, meaning instead of sitting around a ~$80 mil payroll Knicks are looking at a ~$90 mil payroll, BUT...

Taxes penalties are cumulative, meaning by having a payroll above $ 90 mil Knicks won't be paying the $3.75 tax over the $20 millions over the cap, but only the money over the $90 millions mark...

Meaning the actual difference between Lin's previous contract that the Knicks were more than wiling to match and the new contract can is... drumroll... not that big.

Example...

Knicks payroll at $86 millions with Lin previous contract
vs
Knicks Payroll at $91 millions with Lin new contract

The only difference is more $4 mil being taxed at 3.25, and $1 mil being taxed at 3.75

= $16 millions

There you go, the difference between the first Rockets offer, the "Lin will absolutely be back offer" and the new offer is $16 millions in taxes!!! Peanuts!!!

From those $16 mil we can subtract $6 mil from Lin being underpaid the two first years

Knicks better match... :banghead:

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
We don't even know what the tax threshold will be in 2015. It may very well be $80 million or more.

GOBB
07-16-2012, 04:48 PM
The $15 million on the 3rd year is definitely overpaying. I don't disagree with that. But I'm still sticking to my point that they should take a chance on Lin for the first two seasons while he's still cheap and valueable.

This franchise never cared about what's down the road 3 or 4 years from the present but now all the sudden they do when Lin is up for a contract?

Anything could happen by summer of 2014, maybe that $15 million will come in handy to trade for a much better superstar-caliber player. And yes, some teams will take on Lin's $15 million if he's still decent and can generate revenues.

Most of that I cant say I'm arguing against, just the $15mil for the 3rd year part which we agree on. So I understand what you're saying no question.

The last part yeah it'll depend how Lin has performed those two seasons if a team would take on that $15mil. Too early to even say one way or the other tho.

bagelred
08-06-2012, 03:21 AM
:biggums: :biggums:

T-Time3
08-06-2012, 05:00 AM
Let's match the offer knicks !!!!

And let's also sign lebron

#number6ix#
08-06-2012, 07:14 AM
I understand where jr is coming from Lin did only play idk 10 to 15 games with eight or 9 good games but also some horrible games as well like against Bos or Mia but keep it to yourself Maaan!!!

niko
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
:biggums: :biggums:
You bumped a 2 week old trolling Knicks thread? Just how drunk were you last night. And clearly the girl was asian as you were having thoughts of Lin...

knickswin
08-06-2012, 11:38 AM
jr should just shut his mouth. dude has been BLESSED with all the talent in the world. it's nobody's fault but his own that he's barely making more than the minimum right now rather than a real deal. if he didn't play like a moron, teams would want him.

jeremy is an efficient, smart player who makes his teammates better. he is a guy who I would want on my team. j.r.'s not.

TMacMagic
08-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Jeremy Lin is getting paid way to much for what he is. A solid point guard. There's nothing special about the guy besides his story. Yeah, I've been a fan of J-Lin since he was on the warriors because I thought his story was really cool. And then when he finally found some success in New York I was happy for him. But we all have to realize J-Lin was more than likely playing the way he was because no teams really knew about him at the time. Once coaches saw the way he played he wasn't producing as much as he had been previously, he got shut down. On top of that, how are you going to pay 30 mill for a guy that has been in the league for a year already and doesn't even got his ball-handling up? Houston is going off a stretch of OK games that may have just been a fluke. The guy needs to work for 30 mill not just get it handed to him immediately.
3.6 turnovers a game

redhonda76
08-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Jeremy Lin is getting paid way to much for what he is. A solid point guard. There's nothing special about the guy besides his story. Yeah, I've been a fan of J-Lin since he was on the warriors because I thought his story was really cool. And then when he finally found some success in New York I was happy for him. But we all have to realize J-Lin was more than likely playing the way he was because no teams really knew about him at the time. Once coaches saw the way he played he wasn't producing as much as he had been previously, he got shut down. On top of that, how are you going to pay 30 mill for a guy that has been in the league for a year already and doesn't even got his ball-handling up?
3.6 turnovers a game

Well, it's not Lin's problem that Rockets are willing to pay him that much. Lin is doing what everyone would do. He was undrafted, overlooked and really had no shot making it in the NBA. It was a lucky chance he got and he made the best out of it. The bottom line is that he got paid.

knickswin
08-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I think jeremy lin is legitimate. i think he's going to continue put up numbers similar to or better than those he put up during linsanity. he is a winner too. pay attention to how he's always directing his teammates.

clipps
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
JR Smith's existance is a lockerroom problem

knickswin
08-06-2012, 01:14 PM
:applause:

amen

TMacMagic
08-06-2012, 01:22 PM

:cheers:

joshwake
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
most of the current Knicks team is a "locker room problem"

that team is going nowhere.

AK47DR91
08-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Lin wasn't that overpaid, he got a fair deal and it fits the Rockets budget($8MM/yr) and needs. Unfortunately, for the Knicks there was that 3rd year backload that didn't fit their salary budget because they had three other players making $14, $20 and $24 that year too.

Wesley Matthews had a similar situation with the Jazz and Blazers. The Blazers offered him a frontloaded contract($35MM/5yrs) that the Jazz couldn't sign. However, the Blazers per year was even out at $6-7MM.

Lin's numbers for 25 starts were far better than Matthews' rookie season even if Matthews played the whole season.

Compared to Matthews(in 2010) and other free agents this offseason, Lin wasn't overpaid. It was the way the contract was constructed that screwed the Knicks up to keep him.

clipps
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
The Knicks are the most cancerous team in the NBA. Jeremy Lin should get on his knees, kiss Dolan's feet and thank him dearly for not matching Houstan's offer. Lin is in a much better place with a much better franchise.

Owl
08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
The comment from Smith was more dumbness, and his willingness to be led by journalists who wanted a story than being a jerk, I think. He got an idea planted in his head and agreed, which sort of meant he was backing his organisation. But as others have said he has no PR skills and just disrespects a player and says he's overpaid and that's not cool. It's a shame because Smith is skilled player and in an era that's thin on SGs he could have been a star (that is he, he could have been all-star level), but instead he's committed himself to being mediocre, dumb and rude.

kobron23
08-06-2012, 03:58 PM
this