PDA

View Full Version : Best Passing Teams of all-time

G.O.A.T
07-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Which teams in NBA history have had the greatest combination of skilled passers and team chemistry.

I am working on a top ten and honorable mention list. Here are some of the teams I'm looking more closely at:

Who else should I consider?

Candidates
Walton era Blazers
'86 Celtics
Magic era Lakers (leaning towards '82 though '85 is an interesting pick)
Goin' to Work Pistons
Late 70's Sonics
Webber/Divac Kings
mid-70's Suns (Adams/Westphal/Davis)
'63 Celtics
'67 Sixers
'12 Spurs
'55 Nationals
Pre-Russell Cousy led Celtics
'70 - '73 Knicks
'99-'01 Blazers
'89 or '93 Cavs

L.Kizzle
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
-Run-TMC Warriors
-GP/Kemp Sonics
-Early 90s Blazers??

I'd have to imagine a team with Pearl Monroe and Wes Unseld be pretty good at passing.

IGotACoolStory
07-15-2012, 11:30 PM
85 Lakers.

I thought last year's Spurs team was terrific. Although it could probably be because they were an 80s team placed in the isolation era. The stark contrast made them stand out more than they should have?

Alex English's Nuggets?

AngelEyes
07-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Which teams in NBA history have had the greatest combination of skilled passers and team chemistry.

I am working on a top ten and honorable mention list. Here are some of the teams I'm looking more closely at:

Candidates
Walton era Blazers
'86 Celtics
Goin' to Work Pistons
Late 70's Sonics
Webber/Divac Kings
'63 Celtics
'67 Sixers
'12 Spurs
'55 Nationals
'70 - '73 Knicks
'99-'01 Blazers
'89 or '93 Cavs

These

1987_Lakers
07-15-2012, 11:34 PM
This team I have assembled in a draft.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271260&page=25

1987_Lakers
07-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Not sure if you have seen this video yet G.O.A.T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrRnWEt3Z4

QuebecBaller
07-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Kings

Webber, Divac, J-Will...

Indian guy
07-15-2012, 11:46 PM
2nd 3peat Bulls should be up there. Luc, Rodman, Pippen, MJ and Kukoc. All terrific passers. Turned the triangle into an art form.

fpliii
07-15-2012, 11:48 PM
assists != passing but here's a list for you to start with, if you need any other teams

http://bkref.com/tiny/1SQyo

G.O.A.T
07-15-2012, 11:49 PM
-Run-TMC Warriors
-GP/Kemp Sonics
-Early 90s Blazers??

I'd have to imagine a team with Pearl Monroe and Wes Unseld be pretty good at passing.

RE: Sonics - I'm not sure, you could convince me, but I see Payton and Schrempf as good passers and everyone else as average at best.

RE: Blazers = Sam thing really. Drexler and Porter were a super back court, but the front court was all bangers and finishers. Willing to be convinced.

RE: TMC Warriors - Not at all from what I remember. A lot of 1 on 1 play. In there best seasons they finished below the league average in apg and assists per made fg and above the league average in turnovers.

G.O.A.T
07-15-2012, 11:51 PM
assists != passing but here's a list for you to start with, if you need any other teams

http://bkref.com/tiny/1SQyo

I have that list and I found that for the most part looking at the assist leaders is misleading.

For example the '77 Blazers and '86 Celtics did not lead the league in assists but I doubt anyone would dispute they were the premier passing team of their respective seasons.

2nd 3peat Bulls should be up there. Luc, Rodman, Pippen, MJ and Kukoc. All terrific passers. Turned the triangle into an art form.

Best suggestion so far.

A certain commission on my part. Add Kerr and Harper to the good passers list for those teams. That is a borderline top-10 contender I think.

colts19
07-15-2012, 11:52 PM
I'll be looking forward to your list. 86 Celtics to paraphase Larry Bird, I'm just looking around to see who is coming in 2nd.

no pun intended
07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Any Utah Jazz team during the Jerry Sloan era. Sloan is truly the master of team passing.

inclinerator
07-16-2012, 12:07 AM
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/HydroShake/719314ec-d5f1-48cf-9347-f002e650c2b1-1.gif

Celtic_Pride
07-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Has to be 86 Celtics

Timmy D for MVP
07-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Are you looking for best collection of passers or best passing team?

Either way your list seems pretty solid. The first team I thought about was the Kings of the early 00's. I remember the Spurs title runs as having a good rhythm for passing but I wouldn't say they were elite passing squads, it's just that the doubling on Duncan freed someone up and they were masters at that one extra pass to find a wide open shooter.

G.O.A.T
07-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Any Utah Jazz team during the Jerry Sloan era. Sloan is truly the master of team passing.

Very good point. I feel like that was best passing system though, not best passing team. Never had the personnel to really make an impact with his brilliant offensive schemes.

Are you looking for best collection of passers or best passing team?

Either way your list seems pretty solid. The first team I thought about was the Kings of the early 00's. I remember the Spurs title runs as having a good rhythm for passing but I wouldn't say they were elite passing squads, it's just that the doubling on Duncan freed someone up and they were masters at that one extra pass to find a wide open shooter.

Looking more for best teams with both. 4-6 good passers who developed chemistry with each other. A team that didn't depend on one or two playmakers and a bunch of role guys to score.

L.Kizzle
07-16-2012, 12:41 AM
RE: Sonics - I'm not sure, you could convince me, but I see Payton and Schrempf as good passers and everyone else as average at best.

RE: Blazers = Sam thing really. Drexler and Porter were a super back court, but the front court was all bangers and finishers. Willing to be convinced.

RE: TMC Warriors - Not at all from what I remember. A lot of 1 on 1 play. In there best seasons they finished below the league average in apg and assists per made fg and above the league average in turnovers.
I was just making suggestions?

I'd assume Hawkins/Gill were decent passers.

Blazers, Kersey was decent for a big small forward.

Maybe I just remember the highlight plays they made with their passing.

G.O.A.T
07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
I was just making suggestions?

I'd assume Hawkins/Gill were decent passers.

Blazers, Kersey was decent for a big small forward.

Maybe I just remember the highlight plays they made with their passing.

Suggestions always welcome and wanted.

KevinNYC
07-16-2012, 01:34 AM
I only saw the '77 Blazers in highlights, but I don't know who surpasses the 86 Celtics.

It was almost like they had interchangeable parts, their top 8 guys all played great together and all moved the ball well and all ran the break like clockwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrRnWEt3Z4

Also 85 Lakers over 87?

atljonesbro
07-16-2012, 01:46 AM
2011-2012 Knicks

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ketchup
07-16-2012, 02:53 AM
No love for the current Heat?
I'm not going to sit here and pretend we have the best ball movement in the halfcourt set, but on the run and going it is a thing of beauty. Not to mention the full court alleyoop passes, and quarterback passes, etc.
In fact most of the amazing Heat plays I can remember since Bosh, Bron, Wade have been through incredible passing.

QuebecBaller
07-16-2012, 07:25 AM
1996 Suns had a great potential to become the best passing team of all-time. They had KJ, Kidd and Nash :D

willds09
07-16-2012, 07:27 AM
No love for the current Heat?
I'm not going to sit here and pretend we have the best ball movement in the halfcourt set, but on the run and going it is a thing of beauty. Not to mention the full court alleyoop passes, and quarterback passes, etc.
In fact most of the amazing Heat plays I can remember since Bosh, Bron, Wade have been through incredible passing.
heat sucks

PistolPete44
07-16-2012, 07:32 AM
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/HydroShake/719314ec-d5f1-48cf-9347-f002e650c2b1-1.gif
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Harison
07-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Probably '86 Celtics, they had an amazing ball movement, one of the best I've ever saw.

BoutPractice
07-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Great list.
Big 3 Celtics deserve mention, Rondo, KG, Pierce and Allen are all above average passers and their offensive execution is great.

What about the late 60s-early 70s Lakers, at least as a collection of passers, with West, Baylor and Chamberlain?

INDI
07-16-2012, 08:34 AM
The early to mid 00's kings!!!! White chocolate, webber and divac made watching that team extremely fun

ukplayer4
07-16-2012, 12:08 PM
99-03 kings

willds09
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
:coleman:
2011-2012 Knicks

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

get these NETS
07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Kings

Webber, Divac, J-Will...

yep..not even close

when turkgolu was in lineup...you had arguably best passing starting five ever

jason williams, christie, turk, webber, divac

and the sg is the weakest passer......

if we're going by title of the thread....early good kings team of the 2000s wins EASILY

pauk
07-16-2012, 12:39 PM
I pick the showtime Lakers due to Magic alone, you didnt need to make any extra pass with him because when you got the ball you were either under the hoop ready to make a layup/dunk or have an entirely open jumpshot, thats how awesome his passing/vision was...

The_Yearning
07-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Candidates
Walton era Blazers
'86 Celtics
Goin' to Work Pistons
Late 70's Sonics
Webber/Divac Kings
'63 Celtics
'67 Sixers
'12 Spurs
'55 Nationals
'70 - '73 Knicks
'99-'01 Blazers
'89 or '93 Cavs

Done.

G.O.A.T
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
yep..not even close

when turkgolu was in lineup...you had arguably best passing starting five ever

jason williams, christie, turk, webber, divac

and the sg is the weakest passer......

if we're going by title of the thread....early good kings team of the 2000s wins EASILY

That line-up never really happened.

Turk and Williams played one year together and Hedo was a rookie, not a play maker at all yet and at the end of the Kings rotation.

magnax1
07-16-2012, 01:31 PM
I think the best passing teams are rarely the most visually entertaining passing teams because visually entertaining passes are more often not worse then the less exciting passes.
I'd say the 08 Jazz 98 Jazz, 04 and 03 Kings, 82 Lakers, and Walton's Blazers (the little I've seen of them) are among the best passing teams ever.

FKAri
07-16-2012, 02:14 PM
86 Celtics
Divac/Bibby/Webber etc Kings
2012 Wizards

DuMa
07-16-2012, 02:18 PM
I'll put 2011 Mavericks up there. they had great chemistry and every pass seem to kill the defense

get these NETS
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
That line-up never really happened.

Turk and Williams played one year together and Hedo was a rookie, not a play maker at all yet and at the end of the Kings rotation.

turk entered the league with vision and passing skills

he didn't learn to be a great passer in the nba

Smoke117
07-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't know why people are just saying the 2nd three-peat bulls. The first three-peat teams were great passing teams too especially the 92 team. They were 2nd in total assist and 3rd in turnovers allowed that season. (91 was 4 in assist and 3rd in turnovers allowed and 93 was 6 in assist 1st in turnovers allowed) I'd call that pretty damn good passing wouldn't you?

ShaqAttack3234
07-16-2012, 10:27 PM
My personal choices, of course because I'm joining the thread late, most, if not all have been mentioned, but a great topic. Keep in mind, this is in no order.

1986 Celtics- Perhaps the best team of all-time and the first team that came to mind. Bird and Walton, perhaps the best passers ever at their position, used to try to outdo each other by making the better pass. Whether Bird was picking teams apart from the elbow, running screen/rolls with Parish, making touch passes with either hand, or no look passes, his passes were always right on target. And Walton was a master in the high-post from his days at UCLA and also Portland, but often utilized in the low post by this time. He'd always spot the cutter with his passes on point. DJ and Ainge were also fine passers who could alternate guard positions due to their size and skills as ball-handlers as passers. Kevin McHale was also a better passer than he was given credit, he drew a lot of double teams, and commentators pointed out his improved passing this season.

1982 Lakers- At this point, Kareem was still not only their 1st option, but best player despite being a bit past his prime. Even at 34/35 years old, he was unstoppable 1 on 1, not only because of his sky hook, but the counter moves he had developed, and surprisingly mobility for his 7'3" frame. As the one Laker who consistently drew double teams, they really leaned on him in the half court, and he was a fantastic passer in the post. While Magic's half court skill set was limited at this point having not yet added a reliable outside shot or the post game that would make him so devastating, the Lakers often ran give and go plays with Magic and Kareem. But their halfcourt offense which revolved around Kareem was only half of what made them so devastating. Magic led their famous fast break, and was not only the greatest passer in history, imo, but being 6'8" just added to his unbelievable court vision, we all know about the no look passes, but even in the half court, he'd often be around the 3 point line and thread the needle with a bullet pass that Jamaal Wilkes would convert for an easy lay up. And this was still when the Lakers had two all-star caliber point guards with Norm Nixon as Magic's backcourt mate. Not only that, but Michael Cooper was another good passer and player capable of playing point guard. With all of these players mentioned being all-stars(except Cooper who was the perfect role player), as well as Bob McAdoo providing an explosive scorer off the bench, Magic spread it around like Aaron Rodgers is doing in Greenbay.

2002 Kings- Their half court offense was a thing of beauty, one of my favorites to watch of all-time because of how well they ran the Princeton offense under Adelman. They had 2 of the greatest passing big men of all time, perhaps the 2 best passing big men in the game that year in Chris Webber and Vlade Divac and the offense was often ran through one of them in the high post where we'd see them spot plenty of the backdoor cuts and there was constant motion. Webber's wraparound behind the back passes were awesome. Mike Bibby was more than capable of playing the role of a traditional point guard and a good passer himself, but his ability to play off the ball as a shooter fit perfectly with the offense running through the big men in the high and low posts. Doug Christie was also a solid passer who had some experiencing handling the ball.

1987 Lakers- This was a start of a new era. Pat Riley informed Magic in the offseason that he wanted Magic to take over the team and that it was no longer best for Kareem to be the first option. With Kareem turning 40, both embraced the idea, and as part of Magic's new more aggressive mentality, he started posting up much more. He had developed a very effective post game which helped him exploit the size advantage he had every game, partially from Kareem showing him how to shoot a hook shot. Now Magic could not only lead the break, but he began getting double teamed constantly in the post because he was so tough to deal with 1 on 1. He proved to be a masterful passer out of the post too. James Worthy also really came into his own that year. While he was known for finishing on the break off of Magic's brilliant passes, he was also an excellent low post player, and he'd also find the open man when double-teamed. Despite Kareem's role being reduced, he remained a big part of their half court offense, and was also still double-teamed regularly. So he still showed his passing skills. This was very unique, imo, to have three players who were such good post players and could pass this well out of double teams. This was a difference between the '82 and '87 Laker teams. The '82 team was Kareem in the half court, and then the break led by Magic. But this team had a more diverse half court offense, and an equally devastating fast break, perhaps even better with Worthy being a stronger finisher and faster than Wilkes, and Byron Scott being more of a wingman than Norm Nixon. The '87 team of course also had Michael Cooper still in his do everything role, which included being a back up ball handler, and Byron Scott was sort of a combo guard and a pretty capable playmaker.

1996-1998 Bulls- Indian Guy hit the nail on the head with this one. I am a huge fan of the triangle offense because of it's ball movement and player movement, and no NBA team has done it better than this group. Jordan bought into the offense more when he came back, Pippen matured and had even more experience running it, while Ron Harper proved to be another big guard who could pass and had a high IQ. Luc Longley was an excellent passer out of the post, a big upgrade over the 1st 3peat team who had a mediocre passing center in Bill Cartwright. Toni Kukoc was also an excellent passer with great size for a small forward at 6'9"-6'10", much like Pippen at 6'8"-6'9". Pippen returned to the point forward role he had grown into during the second half of the '91 season and the '92 season when Jordan returned, and he continued to do a phenomenal job. He had mastered the triangle, and consistently made the correct passes. Michael was also a very good passer, although his ball-handling role was cut down with him in the low post more often. The one thing that held them back occasionally is that Toni Kukoc still had a habit of going 1 on 1 at times and going outside the offense. Rodman was a better passer than he was given credit for though, and had very little interest in shooting.

'69-'74 Knicks- Who knows how many championships these teams could have won if not for injuries? I'm mostly going by what I've read and a limited amount of footage, but I believe they have to be there. Aside from their innovative team defense, the Knicks won because of teamwork offensively as well and making the extra pass. Phil Jackson said their offense had similarities to the triangle. This was a team that did not succeed by having 1 or 2 stars carry them, although they had talent, making the extra pass was much more important to Red Holzman and the team bought in. That's why the team was better with some of their more individually talented players Cazzie Russell and Earl Monroe in limited roles, and why a less talented player like bill Bradley was more important to the team.

There are many others I'd have liked to mention and write more about, but it will get excessive. i'll just give shout outs to the Malone/Stockton/Hornacek Jazz from '94-'00, the Price/Daugherty Cavs, the '67 Sixers, the '63 Celtics and the '77 Blazers.

I don't know why people are just saying the 2nd three-peat bulls. The first three-peat teams were great passing teams too especially the 92 team. They were 2nd in total assist and 3rd in turnovers allowed that season. (91 was 4 in assist and 3rd in turnovers allowed and 93 was 6 in assist 1st in turnovers allowed) I'd call that pretty damn good passing wouldn't you?

One thing that I really liked about that team(there are many things to like, but I'll focus on this one in particular) is Pippen's playmaking. He had started growing into the point forward role in the second half of the '90-'91 season and playoffs, but was fully in the role by the '91-'92 season, and did a phenomenal job. His basketball IQ was very high, he had terrific size for your primary ball handler, he knew where the ball had to go and where he had to be in the triangle and he usually focused on making the simple, fundamental passes instead of looking for highlights. But I've seen the spectacular passes from him this season as well. It's actually the closest I've seen to a point guard in the triangle since Scottie took the ball up, initiated the offense and was more ball-dominant than MJ by that point, despite being a small forward. He was also one of the great open court passers which was particularly devastating when he was running with MJ as they could pass back to each other, but Scottie had the ball handling ability, length and athleticism to take it all the way and finish if the defender didn't commit to him. On a somewhat unrelated note, I really think Pippen's '92 season is unrelated. His best years are generally considered to be from '94-'96, and I would say that was when he was at his most complete. But outside of the tremendous job he did as a facilitator in '92, he became consistent with his outside shot, had become a smarter defense player and not only had arguably his best statistical season, but it may have been his most consistent season including the playoffs rivaled only by '94.

LA_Showtime
07-16-2012, 10:28 PM
How about the mid-2000 Kings?

Jacks3
07-16-2012, 10:30 PM
09 Lakers. Amazing interior passing with Odom/Pau.

Normdog
07-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Webber/Divac Sacramento Kings

Round Mound
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
1986 Boston Celtics :bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eIvCAsD6gY

ShaqAttack3234
07-16-2012, 11:01 PM
09 Lakers. Amazing interior passing with Odom/Pau.

:banghead: Can't believe I forgot about them. they looked so much better without Bynum. Same with the '08 team. loved watching the trio of Kobe, Pau and Odom in the triangle. All among the best passers at their positions.

Jacks3
07-16-2012, 11:07 PM
The 2013 Lakers could potentially be epic too with Nash/Kobe/Pau.

They just need to get rid of the black-hole....

ShaqAttack3234
07-17-2012, 03:52 AM
The 2013 Lakers could potentially be epic too with Nash/Kobe/Pau.

They just need to get rid of the black-hole....

Eh, I feel they'll be limited as long as Mike Brown is there. The guy is a good defensive coach, but he's clueless offensively.

Ass Dan
07-17-2012, 05:47 AM
2012 Lakers

Nash
Kobe
Pau
Antawn

lots of guys will to share (yes, Kobe will share now)

willds09
07-17-2012, 06:35 AM
2012 Lakers

Nash
Kobe
Pau
Antawn

lots of guys will to share (yes, Kobe will share now)
um its more like 13 lakers:lol

Kevin_Garnett_5
07-17-2012, 07:14 AM
The 08 and 09 Celtics.

Crystallas
07-17-2012, 08:40 AM
IMO, the best passing teams, are so fixated on distribution, that they rarely go deep in the playoffs. The 86 Celts have a good argument for being a rare team that passes fluidly throughout the team. So can the 97 Jazz.

The problem is, good passing teams =/= good scoring teams. Some people automatically look at assists, and claim that is everything, but you have a lot of excellent passers on some teams, with not enough outlets to make the stats match the effort.

2011 Atlanta had a lot of exceptional passers, but also a lot of *f-it, ISO, ISO, I'm chuckin everything* mood swings. Because being an exceptional passing team doesn't pay off.

Pointguard
07-17-2012, 10:50 AM
1987 Lakers was the best oiled machine ever on offense. That flow was crazy. I don't even remember bad shots being taken. The ball moved with gusto and seemed to rarely hit the rim to finish it off. Fast breaks that didn't have any hitch in them. Fast breaks that didn't have a dribble. It was the closest I ever seen a team move intuitively because they were on flow. Sometimes it seemed like they were saying only Magic dribbles... That was pure artistry that year. They were the grand orchestra while most other teams were three piece rock bands.

Gotterdammerung
07-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I'll pimp a team nobody mentioned so far:

The 1994 Rockets.

Due to a classic inside-outside offense the ball swung across the perimeter ahead of the rotatind defende off double team in a brutal fashion.

Smith and Maxwell and Horry were excellent passers, Sam Cassell created well off the dribble, and Otis Thorpe moved well without the ball and caught everything at the rim. He had large hands that allowed him to palm it like a golf ball.

Of course none of this works without the presence of the unstoppable Hakeem who immediately passed out of double teams, unlike earlier in his career.

On paper this was a solid passing team, but during their winning streak the passing became frightening deadly.

The following year, Drexler added a dribble drive element to the offense, which also opened up new angles for the spot up shooters like Smith and penetrators like Horry.

Dukem
07-17-2012, 02:35 PM
For me it's got to be Webber and them Kings. One of my favourite teams to watch and I could easily watch 3 games in row right now of them Kings of 2000-2003.

1987_Lakers
07-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Here are some assists/turnover ratio stats.

1982 Lakers - 2356 Assists | 1468 Turnovers
1986 Celtics - 2387 Assists | 1360 Turnovers
1987 Lakers - 2428 Assists | 1358 Turnovers :applause:
1996 Bulls - 2033 Assists | 1175 Turnovers
2002 Kings - 1958 Assists | 1128 Turnovers

Gotterdammerung
07-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Here are some assists/turnover ratio stats.

1982 Lakers - 2356 Assists | 1468 Turnovers
1986 Celtics - 2387 Assists | 1360 Turnovers
1987 Lakers - 2428 Assists | 1358 Turnovers :applause:
1996 Bulls - 2033 Assists | 1175 Turnovers
2002 Kings - 1958 Assists | 1128 Turnovers

1992 Dream Team - 1 kajillion Assists | 17 Turnovers. :applause: