PDA

View Full Version : NBA players are upset an Asian 2nd year player received a big contract

28renyoy
07-16-2012, 12:06 AM
This is all it comes down too. Were they complaining when rookie Wesley Matthews received a 5 year 33.4 million dollar contract despite having nowhere near the type of season Lin had? Absolutely not. Also Lin will be well worth the risk as he will bring in the entire Asian market leading to millions in revenue.

RazorBaLade
07-16-2012, 12:07 AM
How much does melo make per year?

or rather

lebron makes 18 mil a year or so
wade 16 mil?

Lin would make 15 mil.

its kind of crazy from a pure basketball standpoint.

LebronsHeadband
07-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I really doubt that they give a shit that he's asian. If anything, I think most players just don't like the "press" and attention he is getting.

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2012, 12:10 AM
We've only heard one player that was truly upset with Lin (Smith). Melo only said the way it was backloaded was ridiculous. And it kind of is (that's what Houston had to do to keep him).

28renyoy
07-16-2012, 12:13 AM

or rather

wade 16 mil?

Lin would make 15 mil.

He's making 15 million for 1 season and 5 million for the other 2. Nothing about that is ridiculous if he can continue to average 14/5 with the type of buzz/attention he brings to the team

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 12:17 AM

or rather

wade 16 mil?

Lin would make 15 mil.

Melo makes $20, 22 and 24 for each of the next three seasons. Way overpaid!

Lin would be making $5M, $5.23M, $14.8M and about $4M in four years. Not that ridiculous if he's still a tradeable asset on the 3rd year. I don't doubt that would be teams who are willing to trade for him, even to take on that $14.8M, on his market value alone.

PejaNowitzki
07-16-2012, 12:29 AM
This is all it comes down too. Were they complaining when rookie Wesley Matthews received a 5 year 33.4 million dollar contract despite having nowhere near the type of season Lin had? Absolutely not. Also Lin will be well worth the risk as he will bring in the entire Asian market leading to millions in revenue.

It's all about drawing power, Lin would be worth 20 mil a year if you're looking at it from strictly a financial point of view, he engages the Asian demographic moreso than anyone else, your performance on the floor is one thing but if you have the ability to simply draw people, which Lin does, you can make your franchise A LOT of money that way and ultimately that is what it comes down to, JR Smith is madder than a mother****er because he couldn't even draw flies if he was a 6 day old corpse.

Nobody is dropping $200 to go see JR Smith or tuning in to the Knicks game to see what kind of numbers his sorry ass is putting up, he mad as **** yo.

spiegel
07-16-2012, 12:33 AM
LOL OK RG

lakersfan2046
07-16-2012, 12:36 AM

Sure. The old racism card! Never fails. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Lin is overrated. Kid had a nice story but next year it will be all about basketball. He is a pg averaging 5 turnovers a night. Sucks. I don't care what color he is, the kid is average. You think Asians will care about him when he plays in god forsaken Houston and averages 5 turnovers? Doubt it. They will be too busy discussing Lebron vs. Kobe just like the rest of us

martycrane
07-16-2012, 12:36 AM

i think its more bout the fact he gets so much attention, largely bc hes an azn player in a league wit so few historically, then add the lil streak they went on and that its new york, media obv made a huge deal bout it. truth is if it was a black player who came from obscurity n did the exact same thing against bad teams with the same stats for a few games, thered be no insanity or nothin. itd be mentioned but def no phenomenon.

plus im sure carmelo n jr smif in paticulor dont wanna play wit lin. hes gonna spread the ball all around but those two just wanna shoot. so combine two low iq black players with a guy gettin a ton of love for bein azn (cuz he really aint that good) and yeah, not a good mix

RazorBaLade
07-16-2012, 12:39 AM
I dont think anyones saying the 5 or 8 mil in one year is crazy!

Its just the fact that there will be a season in the future on a total gamble that hes making lebron, melo, cp3 type money for a full year

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 12:46 AM
We've only heard one player that was truly upset with Lin (Smith). Melo only said the way it was backloaded was ridiculous. And it kind of is (that's what Houston had to do to keep him).

I am sure only JR Smith and Carmelo Anthony are the only players that have opinions on the subject. :rolleyes:

More like they are the only ones that were asked since they were on the same team.

50inchvertical
07-16-2012, 12:57 AM
He didn't have a great "season," he had a great 20 game stretch. A guy getting that type of deal like that IS ridiculous.

It is also questionable whether or not he will fit in the new coach's system (and allegedly Woods doesn't like his game) as successfully.

In terms of the earning power he provides, I would make that deal in a second but it's a terrible basketball move.

He can't go left, turns the ball over at a record pace, and guys on other teams will be gunning for him because of the hype.

TheBigVeto
07-16-2012, 12:59 AM
I really doubt that they give a shit that he's asian. If anything, I think most players just don't like the "press" and attention he is getting.

Oh they do, it's racism at its finest.

Reverend Hoops
07-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Since you bring race into it, out of nowhere black players with a phenomenal 10 game run has been done before in the NBA. Not one got near the contract Lin got.

50inchvertical
07-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Since you bring race into it, out of nowhere black players with a phenomenal 10 game run has been done before in the NBA. Not one got near the contract Lin got.
nor the press, see Ronald "Flip" Murray

BrooklynZoo
07-16-2012, 01:12 AM

or rather

wade 16 mil?

Lin would make 15 mil.

5+5+14=24

24/3=8

even without the whole marketing thing, you could make an argument that its fair. once you add the whole linsanity factor, 8 doesnt look so bad does it? :biggums:

BrooklynZoo
07-16-2012, 01:14 AM

in the 5 seconds i thought about it...jerome james?

L.Kizzle
07-16-2012, 01:15 AM
in the 5 seconds i thought about it...jerome james?
Jerome James never had a good stretch, Knicks were just stupid (as usual.)

The Choken One
07-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Best part about all this is Lin is worth about 5 mil a year...if that. They're going to be regretting that contract in a few months.

28renyoy
07-16-2012, 01:17 AM

2.8 billion asians in the world. ~40 million african americans in the world. who do you think has a larger following? it's all about money, welcome to the real world

boozehound
07-16-2012, 01:19 AM
isnt he a 3rd year player?

boozehound
07-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Best part about all this is Lin is worth about 5 mil a year...if that. They're going to be regretting that contract in a few months.
why is that? thats what it is for the first two years. Besides, they way they structure these things for the bidding team, his contact is averaged over the 3 years for the offering team, meaning hes basically an 8 million cap hit, but a 15 million trading chip for houston in year 3.

BrooklynZoo
07-16-2012, 01:21 AM

Jeremy Lin was an undrafted asian guy out of Harvard, who was cut 2 times in a couple of months and was about to be cut again before he got a chance to play against the Nets. On a storied franchise that hasn't won shit for the past decade, Lin came in and avged about 25ppg, 8apg over approx 10 games (including the 37 on Kobe's "who's Jeremy Lin" Lakers, game winners vs the raptors) and had a franchise on the verge of disaster, rolling. Add the whole religion angle, a catchy name and you have Linsanity. Yet you always hear that black guy saying "us blacks dont get the attention he does" when 99% of NBA fans have a black dude as their favorite player SMH:facepalm

50inchvertical
07-16-2012, 01:22 AM
2.8 billion asians in the world. ~40 million african americans in the world. who do you think has a larger following? it's all about money, welcome to the real world
So you counted all Asians, but then only African Americans? :oldlol:

BrooklynZoo
07-16-2012, 01:23 AM

you obviously werent payin attention to the playoff run he had which is what landed him the contract. Its ok for them to be stupid when paying a black guy but its a problem when hes asian?

boozehound
07-16-2012, 01:25 AM
grasshopper, how quickly you forget the sonics last playoff run. dude was garbage man, even had a cape made out of a hefty bag.

50inchvertical
07-16-2012, 01:27 AM
you obviously werent payin attention to the playoff run he had which is what landed him the contract. Its ok for them to be stupid when paying a black guy but its a problem when hes asian?
His contract was stupid too and everyone is saying that, so what are you even trying to argue about? Nobody is saying Jerome James deal was a smart decision.

boozehound
07-16-2012, 01:30 AM
His contract was stupid too and everyone is saying that, so what are you even trying to argue about? Nobody is saying Jerome James deal was a smart decision.
the point is, other players (on his own team) werent talking about what a terrible contract it was. For the most part, players have toed the union line that any contact is not a topic of discussion. For players on his own (past) team to call it ridiculous is a new (and, frankly, unprofessional) avenue. I am sure Billy Hunter is livid at this.

BrooklynZoo
07-16-2012, 01:30 AM

yes, but it wasnt a race issue cause he was black, now that someone who isnt black gets a deal its a problem?

BrooklynZoo
07-16-2012, 01:31 AM
and its reallly ridiculous to even compare Lins potential to jerome james and flip murray.

Lin also makes whatever team hes on tons of cash. If a NBA player or fan is too dumb to realize that, then that's their problem

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 01:33 AM
the point is, other players (on his own team) werent talking about what a terrible contract it was. For the most part, players have toed the union line that any contact is not a topic of discussion. For players on his own (past) team to call it ridiculous is a new (and, frankly, unprofessional) avenue. I am sure Billy Hunter is livid at this.

The only reason you know what JR Smith said about it is that a reporter was near him when the story came out.

jlip
07-16-2012, 01:34 AM

^This^

b0bab0i
07-16-2012, 01:46 AM
You mean Third year?
He was in the 2010 draft.

DKLaker
07-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Dumbass millionaires b!tchng about how much someone else is getting paid......they need to look at the poor economy of america and count their blessings. You don't see Mark Cuban or Donald Trump crying about Bill Gates. There will always be someone who has more than you....move on.

Derka
07-16-2012, 02:02 AM
If this is true, players have no business being pissed at Lin. He's just a guy getting money thrown at him...not a single one of these guys would say shit if it was him standing in Lin's shoes.

NBA players SHOULD be looking at owners and GMs, saying "You assholes just locked us out, f*cked our season up, put us through the most grueling season in recent memory that injured the living f*ck out of half of this league's players and put the rest of us at extremely increased injury risk...all because you cried up and down to Stern that you were losing too much money. But please, continue to throw ridiculous pay days at low level players, bitch that stars don't want to play for your franchises...and then tell everyone in the world that the real issue was a few points of BRI. And by the way, f*ck you."

bluechox2
07-16-2012, 02:25 AM
does houston really think dwight will stay in houston?

The Iron Fist
07-16-2012, 02:48 AM
and out of nowhere, Black players got drafted and signed based on "pure athleticism".

http://newspaper.li/static/9113434765514b195e3883facf677c50.jpg

I'm more than sure there was a non Black kid out there who didn't jump as high but had a better all around game that was overlooked.

ShaqAttack3234
07-16-2012, 02:49 AM
I think people get annoyed at the overexposure for Lin, much like Tebow(although I don't think much of Tebow as a player, and get sick of hearing about his religion), but that's another matter. Even as a Knick, I have to say the Lin hype was excessive and knew he wouldn't keep up that level, but it was a cool story, coming out of nowhere and sparking a disappointing Knick team. of course many others get into the whole Oriental kid from Harvard, which admittedly, is very unusual in the NBA. But not that interesting to me.

Pinkhearts
07-16-2012, 06:56 AM
Knicks should have just offered him 8.5 million a year.

Problem would not have existed.

willds09
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
and out of nowhere, Black players got drafted and signed based on "pure athleticism".

http://newspaper.li/static/9113434765514b195e3883facf677c50.jpg

I'm more than sure there was a non Black kid out there who didn't jump as high but had a better all around game that was overlooked.
damn shame smh miles could of been something

wally_world
07-16-2012, 08:36 AM
He sells tickets and jerseys, that alone is enough to warrant his contract

JohnnySic
07-16-2012, 08:47 AM
LOL @ the Rockets way overpaying Lin just because a lot of people who share his ethnic persuasion will buy a lot of borax. Way to put a winning team on the court. And then people scoff about the NBA being like the WWE...

07-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Sure. The old racism card! Never fails. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Lin is overrated. Kid had a nice story but next year it will be all about basketball. He is a pg averaging 5 turnovers a night. Sucks. I don't care what color he is, the kid is average. You think Asians will care about him when he plays in god forsaken Houston and averages 5 turnovers? Doubt it. They will be too busy discussing Lebron vs. Kobe just like the rest of us

I know right? Racism doesn't exist anymore. At least from White People.

asians, blacks, and hispanics are the new racists! sarcasm

But I think jeremy lin (as an asian player) is a good player for an asian guy. Five Turnovers is a lot but I think as an asian player jeremy lin will have to improve that.

willds09
07-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I know right? Racism doesn't exist anymore. At least from White People.

asians, blacks, and hispanics are the new racists! sarcasm

But I think jeremy lin (as an asian player) is a good player for an asian guy. Five Turnovers is a lot but I think as an asian player jeremy lin will have to improve that.
man u need help talkin like dat

niko
07-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Knicks should have just offered him 8.5 million a year.

Problem would not have existed.
We are not allowed to.

noosaman
07-16-2012, 09:40 AM
He didn't have a great "season," he had a great 20 game stretch. A guy getting that type of deal like that IS ridiculous.

It is also questionable whether or not he will fit in the new coach's system (and allegedly Woods doesn't like his game) as successfully.

In terms of the earning power he provides, I would make that deal in a second but it's a terrible basketball move.

He can't go left, turns the ball over at a record pace, and guys on other teams will be gunning for him because of the hype.

The only reason his stretch ended was because of carmelo anthony's return. if the knicks just got rid of anthony and built around the rest of the guys they could contend in the East

noosaman
07-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I love it when people say he only gets credit because he's azn.

if this guy were black he wouldn't have received ZERO DI offers despite leading his team to a California state championship, and he would have been given every single opportunity to succeed in the NBA. Anyone who denies this is delusional.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 09:50 AM
I love it when people say he only gets credit because he's azn.

if this guy were black he wouldn't have received ZERO DI offers despite leading his team to a California state championship, and he would have been given every single opportunity to succeed in the NBA. Anyone who denies this is delusional.
Yeah, it should go both ways.

If he has a huge fanbase because of his race, then his detractors are also doubting him because of his race.

swi7ch
07-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Knicks weren't winning with Melo.
Knicks weren't winning with Amare.
Knicks weren't winning with Melo and Amare.

However...

Knicks were winning with Lin.

Was it 10-0 including wins against DAL and LAL and other teams with winning records?

It's easy to figure out who gets the most money. The guy who provides the 'W' and is marketable.

nashwade
07-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Houston must have made loads of money from Yao to realise what a gem an Asian NBA player is

putting Winning aside, sale of worldwide merchandise makes sense by itself

more than 1.3 billion people in China, EXCLUDING the rest of Asia. if half of those people paid $1 each for a Lin keychain, you bag half a billion. I think the math on this one is easy

now, who the hell buys Smith's jerseys?

Shepseskaf
07-16-2012, 10:47 AM
The bottom line for me with Lin is that you CANNOT let fans run your franchise. Dolan is making a solid basketball and fiscal decision here. It has nothing to do with Lin's race. He simply isn't worth the money, and would handcuff the team's ability to make moves in the future.

Felton is far cheaper and a better fit for the roster. What's to decide?

If Dolan caves, he'll be setting a very dangerous precedent by yielding to fan pressure (if indeed there is any real fan pressure).

nightprowler10
07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
The bottom line for me with Lin is that you CANNOT let fans run your franchise. Dolan is making a solid basketball and fiscal decision here. It has nothing to do with Lin's race. He simply isn't worth the money, and would handcuff the team's ability to make moves in the future.

If Dolan caves, he'll be setting a very dangerous precedent by yielding to fan pressure (if indeed there is any real fan pressure).
While I agree it's the right decision, how is Felton a better fit than Lin?

Sarcastic
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Derrick Rose first 4 seasons: $4.8m, $5.1m, $5.5m, $6.9m.

With that said, the Knicks should still match and try to trade him in year 3.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Derrick Rose first 4 seasons: $4.8m, $5.1m, $5.5m, $6.9m.

With that said, the Knicks should still match and try to trade him in year 3.
That's why they made the "Derrick Rose Rookie Salary" reconstruction option during the CBA negotiation.

You have your Derrick Rose's and Blake Griffin's of the world but you also have your Greg Oden's and Hasheem Thabeet's, so you gotta make a balance that's fair to the Rose's and the GM's who pick the Oden's.

tontoz
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM

A dangerous precedent? Have you forgotten the Isiah years?

:roll:

Dolan's history is full of bad contracts.

Shepseskaf
07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
While I agree it's the right decision, how is Felton a better fit than Lin?
Felton is a better fit because he's an experienced point guard who can get the ball to Amare (who he worked with with before) and Melo.

Lin is a scoring guard who's trying to learn to play point, thus the turnovers and the ball not being delivered the way it should.

The Knicks have more than enough scorers. What the team needs is a set-up man. That's Felton, not Lin.

Shepseskaf
07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
A dangerous precedent? Have you forgotten the Isiah years?

:roll:

Dolan's history is full of bad contracts.
What I meant by 'a dangerous precedent' is that management is forced to cater to a fan base by not making good organizational decisions. See: Tebow in Denver.

I remember the Isiah years. You know what? People actually can learn from their mistakes and not keep repeating them. Just because Dolan has been lousy in the past doesn't mean he can't change at some point.

Let's hope this is the crossroad right now, by saying 'no' to a bad Lin contract.

Yung D-Will
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
It's amazing. Shake spent all last season hating on Rubio even when he was playing at a Roty level, and claiming that Lin was a superior player to Rubio.

Now without Rubio to hate on he's hating on Lin an basiclly making him out to be a scrub.

So if Lin was a scrub what was Rubio when he was the clear second place for roty?

Lin is a better player, but the matchup should be real interesting.

http://207.58.151.151/forum/showthread.php?t=251520&page=2

Just to confirm I'm not making it up.

So if Lin is better than Rubio. Yet Lin is a scrub. Whiles at the same time Rubio was second for roty for most of the season.

I'm confused :confusedshrug:

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
http://207.58.151.151/forum/showthread.php?t=251520&page=2

Just to confirm I'm not making it up.

So if Lin is better than Rubio. Yet Lin is a scrub. Whiles at the same time Rubio was second for roty for most of the season.

I'm confused :confusedshrug:
Damn. Just read the following pages to that thread. Shep was on Lin's dick like he had yellow fever.

Now he's hopping off the bandwagon cuz Linsanity Hype died. What a bitch! :oldlol:

chocolatethunder
07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Jerome James had one playoff series
/thread

Yung D-Will
07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Damn. Just read the following pages to that thread. Shep was on Lin's dick like he had yellow fever.

Now he's hopping off the bandwagon cuz Linsanity Hype died. What a bitch! :oldlol:
I'm honestly confused, was Lin just his scapegoat to degrade Rubio's success, or did he do a complete 180 all together?

Yung D-Will
07-16-2012, 03:37 PM
And will Kidd play at the 2 with Lin on the floor or something?

Da KO King
07-16-2012, 03:51 PM
They are upset cause people started locking his ass up after he was "exposed" against Miami. People are upset because unlike other players that get reward for short stints of play, Lin's run was NOT in the playoffs; it began in February and ended in March.

In the end I believe the Knicks will match in the eleventh hour, doesn't mean Lin is worth that contract.

All the marketing talk has nothing to do with on the court ability and until I get a check from it as a fan I do not care. Jeremy Lin as a basketball player is not worth $25 million over three seasons.

Shepseskaf
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Reported.