PDA

View Full Version : OJ Mayo asking Suns for $10Million a year

ncrizzle
07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
http://www.straightouttavancouver.com/2012/7/16/3162282/o-j-mayo-wants-10-million-per-season-so-how-u

"According to a report this weekend, it appears as if O.J. Mayo asked the Phoenix Suns for $10 million per season. Which, as we know, is well-above what the Grizzlies would have offered him to stay in Memphis.

https://twitter.com/sethpo?tw_i=224665903659356161&tw_e=screenname&tw_p=tweetembed

Now, naturally the Suns aren't going to give Mayo $10 million per season, as much as they would actually like to sign him. It's just a wonder, though, where did he come up with that figure and who, if anyone, is willing to pay him anywhere close to $10 million?

We know that there are a few teams rumored to be interested in Mayo, including the Suns, Pacers (though that noise has died down), the Celtics and even the Bulls. But, again, none of those teams have the space to pay him anywhere near his desired figure. You can't blame a man for wanting to get paid, but I think he may have miscalculated a few things here. Especially when you consider that the Suns are trying to decide between Mayo and Courtney Lee, who won't demand nearly as much per season.

At this point, I just don't see any way he gets close to $10 million. I had predicted at one point that a team would "over-spend" and pay him $7-8 million per season, but even now that's seeming less likely as the open cap space continues to fill up. (Note: My prediction was that the Brooklyn Nets would sign him, but that was before they went all-in on Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez and Gerald Wallace.)

It'll certainly be interesting to see how this plays out."

:biggums:

Snoop_Cat
07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
$10 million a year?

Incredibly stupid. Phoenix should play this one low. Not many desirable teams have the cap space to offer him anything close and there's no way the Grizzlies give him close to that.

The Suns are basically bidding against themselves - they have more money to offer than some of the other teams and more willing, they would be foolish to jump the gun.

niko
07-16-2012, 01:46 PM
He's apparently on the Lin scale.

NOHCP3
07-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Don't do it PHX... 8 or 7.5 is alot more reasonable.

CelticBaller
Don't do it Suns :lol

Rnbizzle
$10 million a year?

Incredibly stupid. Phoenix should play this one low. Not many desirable teams have the cap space to offer him anything close and there's no way the Grizzlies give him close to that.

The Suns are basically bidding against themselves - they have more money to offer than some of the other teams and more willing, they would be foolish to jump the gun.
/thread

dunksby
07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Who in their right minds would pay that much for Orange Juice?

DirtySanchez
07-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Remember the new CBA was suppose to take the power away from the players.

Freedom Kid7
07-16-2012, 01:55 PM
No way on earth he's that much. He's not even a starter :biggums:

roffie
07-16-2012, 01:58 PM
ahahah OJ..

ncrizzle
07-16-2012, 02:00 PM
I am very grateful for what OJ did for the grizzlies, but asking for that much money is just ludacris. Insane. Delusional. He has shown that all he cares about is the $$$. I think that if he did a 1year/6-7mill a year deal like beasley, he could prove if he is worth 10mill a year. But GMs have to be like:biggums: when they hear the proposal.

LJJ
07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
OJ Mayo playoff statistics: 9ppg, 3,5rpg, 2apg, 2topg, 27% shooting

:roll: :roll: :roll:

BlackVVaves
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM

:wtf:

Wow. That's turrrible. Just turrible.

ncrizzle
07-16-2012, 02:04 PM
No way on earth he's that much. He's not even a starter :biggums:

He was a starter his first 2 years and averaged 18ppg. But when the grizz acquired Tony Allen, he really changed the mentality of the team. We became the Grit n Grind ruthless defensive team that we are. TA gave us much needed energy on D, and OJ became our 6th man who sparked the bench. OJ logged more minutes than TA and was in the game when it mattered a lot of the time. When u have Gay, Zbo, and Gasol in the starting 5, there are not as many points to go around. So letting him come off the bench allowed him to get his points while letting the team come out with the defensive intensity with TA starting.

bagelred
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Yes, but 2 years of MLE and one year Max for Lin is overpaid. :lol

I hear Mayo jerseys are selling like crazy in China.

Maniak
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM
I'd be saddened if he actually got that contract.

Even though the team is quite lacking at SG in terms of depth (Dudley is much more of a 3 and Shannon Brown hasn't been resigned afaik), that's far too much.

OmniStrife
07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
I'll take him at 8

Freedom Kid7
07-16-2012, 02:10 PM
He was a starter his first 2 years and averaged 18ppg. But when the grizz acquired Tony Allen, he really changed the mentality of the team. We became the Grit n Grind ruthless defensive team that we are. TA gave us much needed energy on D, and OJ became our 6th man who sparked the bench. OJ logged more minutes than TA and was in the game when it mattered a lot of the time. When u have Gay, Zbo, and Gasol in the starting 5, there are not as many points to go around. So letting him come off the bench allowed him to get his points while letting the team come out with the defensive intensity with TA starting.
The 6th man role is important don't get me wrong. He did pretty well as that sparker role, but I still think he presents problems and isn't worth 10 million at all. I mean, I remember the playoffs last year where he just didn't play well.

Rab
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Local reports are saying that he left Phoenix without a formal offer from the Suns. If true, good on them for not offering him a deal like he wanted. I would assume they told him to try and find that deal elsewhere, and when he doesn't, he'll probably come back.

GOBB
Yes, but 2 years of MLE and one year Max for Lin is overpaid. :lol

I hear Mayo jerseys are selling like crazy in China.

The difference is Lin is actually getting that money. Oj Mayo is not. Continue spinning Lin deal tho because I really really really, just really like seeing Lin play.

LOGoods7
Beasley's contract is the most I'd give him.....

GOBB
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
I'll take him at 8

Why should he get that??? Look what Lou Williams got and go in that direction.

Rab
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
That's the feeling I get as well. I think they'd go 6-7 per year.

bagelred
07-16-2012, 02:17 PM
The difference is Lin is actually getting that money. Oj Mayo is not. Continue spinning Lin deal tho because I really really really, just really like seeing Lin play.

Aw........you mad GOBB? You seem mad........don't cry.

ncrizzle
07-16-2012, 02:21 PM

He was horrible in the playoffs, but mainly because he was playing backup PG a lot of the time bc of our lack of depth then. Oj has horrible handles and couldnt even bring the ball up the fvcking court. He should never be the primary ball handler. He put up 20 points in game 2 and then vanished the rest of the series. The grizz lost because our bench got manhandled by the clippers bench. Bledsoe was all over OJ forcing him into a turnover or taking a horrible shot. He is better than what he showed in last years playoffs. Still not worth 10mill or even 8 mill a year...

wagexslave
07-16-2012, 02:21 PM
lol I'd go 6.5m max. I'd honestly just rather save the cap space and resign Shannon Brown. Brown would probably produce similar numbers to Mayo as a starter, but cost less money and has even more upside. Brown is easily one of the most athletic players in the league, he just has a terrible shot selection. He played pretty well though last year when he was given more minutes. I'd rather keep him and try to re-sign Michael Redd for cheap. Get them on 1-2 year contracts if possible, and if we need an upgrade at SG within the next year or two then it's all good.

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
He might as well ask for it. Probably won't get it but that's a bad team being run on the cheap, so if he goes there he's not going to win anything. And if you aren't going to be winning then make them pay you more than anyone else.

Side question: Ae fans in Phoenix upset that their team has no star and no one that looks like they can ever be a franchise player?

Rab
07-16-2012, 02:26 PM
lol I'd go 6.5m max. I'd honestly just rather save the cap space and resign Shannon Brown. Brown would probably produce similar numbers as Mayo as a starter, but cost less money and has even more upside. Brown is easily one of the most athletic players in the league, he just has a terrible shot selection. He played pretty well though last year when he was given more minutes. I'd rather keep him and try to re-sign Michael Redd for cheap. Get them on 1-2 year contracts if possible, and if we need an upgrade at SG within the next year or two then it's all good.
Agreed. Suns have all the leverage here, because they don't HAVE to sign him, and it doesn't appear as though Mayo is in incredibley high demand.

PejaNowitzki
07-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Agreed. Suns have all the leverage here, because they don't HAVE to sign him, and it doesn't appear as though Mayo is in incredibley high demand.

He's not getting 10 mil, Suns have absolutely all the leverage, he's an idiot for having waited this long and now making ludicrous demands. Suns can tell him to kick rocks and nobody else is going to offer him more than $6 mil a year.

Supposedly Suns are now looking at Courtney Lee and re-upping Brown or possibly Leandro Barbosa as depth.

Maniak
07-16-2012, 02:30 PM
He might as well ask for it. Probably won't get it but that's a bad team being run on the cheap, so if he goes there he's not going to win anything. And if you aren't going to be winning then make them pay you more than anyone else.

Side question: Ae fans in Phoenix upset that their team has no star and no one that looks like they can ever be a franchise player?
Somewhat.

Mind you, as long as the team is more worried about making the playoffs barely and heavily recruiting a player like Robin Lopez to stay, it won't change.

Very high picks like what the Thunder had will rebuild a team, but constantly getting in the 13-15 range and never making big time trades will just leave a team in mediocrity. That's what next season is looking like unless Beasley, Morris, Marshall, Dragic, and OJ and/or Brown all break the hell out.

scm5
07-16-2012, 02:31 PM

I wouldn't even pay that.

Beasley is better than Mayo.

Rab
07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Not really. It's been a long time coming to move on from the Nash era. We had Steve for the last 2 years and missed the playoffs, so not having a star or frachise player at the moment isn't bothering me.

It's not like they're overspending, and tying up a ton of cap room. With the addition of Scola, Beasley, Dragic, and possibly Mayo, they are aquiring a lot of tradeable assets that may or may not land them something in the future. I like Eric Gordon, but in a way I was relieved NO matched their offer. I think what they're doing now is still going to give them flexibiity going forward, which is something they haven't had in a long time. For the first time in a while I feel optimisitc about the future. I guess I'm willing to give this a chance.

CHi1PriDe
07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2858642360_a7ab460322.jpg

He'll take less to play for the bulls.. when does he meet gar/pax in Vegas?

wagexslave
07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Not really. We just started rebuilding 3 weeks ago. Why would anyone expect them to have a "superstar franchise player" already? :biggums: Suns fans aren't stupid. We know what to expect, we know this is going to be a long process, we don't need a "star" player right away. We just need to rebuild. We'll worry about getting a franchise player later down the road.

And lets be honest, "franchise" players are horrifically overrated anyways. How many players in the league can actually put a team on their shoulders and single handedly lead them to contention? Not many. So let's worry about getting a complete roster before we even think about trying to get a "franchise player".

PejaNowitzki
07-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Somewhat.

Mind you, as long as the team is more worried about making the playoffs barely and heavily recruiting a player like Robin Lopez to stay, it won't change.

Very high picks like what the Thunder had will rebuild a team, but constantly getting in the 13-15 range and never making big time trades will just leave a team in mediocrity. That's what next season is looking like unless Beasley, Morris, Marshall, Dragic, and OJ and/or Brown all break the hell out.

Or do you mean very high picks like what the Wizards, T-Wolves, Bobcats and Trailblazers had??? There's absolutely no guarantees in the draft, especially not with the lottery, not to mention that without Durant, Oklahoma is still a crappy team. If Portland took Durant, Oklahoma would have wound up with Oden and wouldn't have even made the playoffs last year....it was that close.

They lucked out on a rare talent, it doesn't happen often and planning your team's rebuild around a potential freak occurrence is apparently so much more logical than adding young, affordable pieces that could be traded down the road for additional assets and not bombing as a franchise and hoping the magically rigged NBA lottery doesn't go against you after you end up with the worst record and the 3rd or 4th pick.

GOBB
07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
He's not getting 10 mil, Suns have absolutely all the leverage, he's an idiot for having waited this long and now making ludicrous demands. Suns can tell him to kick rocks and nobody else is going to offer him more than $6 mil a year.

Supposedly Suns are now looking at Courtney Lee and re-upping Brown or possibly Leandro Barbosa as depth.

What makes you think he waited this long??? He's always had interest from teams. The problem is they were teams lookin for a guard off the bench. With the way free agency shaped up he sees an advantage with Phx given the amount of cap space + losing out on Eric Gordon. The starting SG position is ripe for him to try and take. And in doing so why not set your price high? With the way teams have been throwing away money Phx might bite. And not bite on $10mil per but could go $8mil per. And you'll be calling Phx an idiot after having called OJ Mayo one. And you'll totally ignore how you blasted Oj Mayo for his demands because you're too busy facepalming whatever deal Phx gave out. Again, none of this could happen but my point is the possibility of it exists. So hold off clowning the guy even tho we both agree he aint worth it.

You act like OJ Mayo was in Dubai riding around on sand dunes all summer forgetting free agency exists. No teams just werent that interested in making him their plan A, priority. And he probably wants to start, not be the 3rd guard off the bench again like in Memphis. But you questioned all of this right? Of course you did! :rolleyes:

ncrizzle
07-16-2012, 02:47 PM
He'll take less to play for the bulls.. when does he meet gar/pax in Vegas?

He will take less when his agent finally gets him to realize that no one is about to sign him for the money he is asking. He is not taking less money to play for a certain team.

If he plays to his potential in a starting role then he will be well worth 7.5 a year. The thing with OJ is that even though he came off the bench, it always seemed like he was taking every shot he could to get his stats into starter numbers. If he starts wherever he ends up i see his confidence and IQ going up. He was basically asked to be our 3 pt shooter in Memphis. If he doesnt have the weight of being the only guy on the team that can hit a 3, then i dont think he jacks up so many unnecessary shots

Maniak
07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Or do you mean very high picks like what the Wizards, T-Wolves, Bobcats and Trailblazers had??? There's absolutely no guarantees in the draft, especially not with the lottery, not to mention that without Durant, Oklahoma is still a crappy team. If Portland took Durant, Oklahoma would have wound up with Oden and wouldn't have even made the playoffs last year....it was that close.

They lucked out on a rare talent, it doesn't happen often and planning your team's rebuild around a potential freak occurrence is apparently so much more logical than adding young, affordable pieces that could be traded down the road for additional assets and not bombing as a franchise and hoping the magically rigged NBA lottery doesn't go against you after you end up with the worst record and the 3rd or 4th pick.
I'll agree with that to a certain extent. Although to the freak occurrence, freak occurrences can always happen. Teams always need to take risks. Sometimes it'll work like for the Thunder, and other times it may fail like maybe the Wolves drafting two point guards.

The Suns aren't really extreme risk takers in that regard because Sarver is extremely worried about money.

My only problem with that is it seems like the Suns can get the young affordable pieces but never want to trade them. This is obviously something we'll have to wait and see to find out, but the Suns haven't been exceptionally good at trading players/assets to win a ring.

Derka
07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
I'd give him $6 or so $7 per. Anymore than that is ludicrous.

longtime lurker
07-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Can't blame Oj for asking for that. You see marginal players like Lin and Asik getting these insane contracts and why Oj. Get that gwop Oj or come to the Lakers at a discount and become a legend.

wagexslave
07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Can't blame Oj for asking for that. You see marginal players like Lin and Asik getting these insane contracts and why Oj. Get that gwop Oj or come to the Lakers at a discount and become a legend.
LOL Taking less money to sit on the Lakers bench behind Kobe makes you a "legend"? God you Lakers d*ckriders are so f*cking delusional. :facepalm

longtime lurker
07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
^^^^^
Talking about championships. He can be part of one of the deepest Laker squads ever assembled. And once kobe retires he has the keys to the city.

wagexslave
07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
^^^^^
Talking about championships. He can be part of one of the deepest Laker squads ever assembled. And once kobe retires he has the keys to the city.
The Lakers aren't winning the championship.

El Kabong
07-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Better to ask for 10 and get 8 then ask for 8 and get offered 6.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 09:46 PM
This is why Clippers didn't even pursue the guy nor many other teams needing SG's like Wolves. Dude thinks he's an all star.. :facepalm .

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
This is why Clippers didn't even pursue the guy nor many other teams needing SG's like Wolves. Dude thinks he's an all star.. :facepalm .
Clippers and those other teams would have suffered no harm by exploring his level of interest. He asks for 10, you offer 7 and he can take it or leave it. Had nothing to do with wisdom they just don't want to spend.