PDA

View Full Version : Antawn Jamison will be a Laker.

Faptastrophe
07-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Retweeted by John Hollinger:

A source tells me Antawn Jamison will be a Laker.

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/224998078275526658

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

Source confirms "strong interest" by Jamison in Lakers, says deal not done. Charlotte Observer says Jamison "will" be a Laker, per source.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-16-2012, 06:47 PM

fcuker...i came here to make a thread out of this and look at this guy :cheers:

PJR
07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Lakers address their screen n roll and transition defense by adding Nash and Jamison. :bowdown:

Meticode
Hopefully with the reduction in minutes he can put up something more efficient than 17 on 40% shooting. Still a solid player for his age though. I was surprised he got 17/7 on 35% from the arc last year to be frank.

RazorBaLade
10 ppg off the bench??

The Choken One
07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Good bench player... but the Lakers really need a 3rd BIG. I don't think Hill is going to be back from what I've been reading in other threads.

illmaticone
07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell

A source tells me Antawn Jamison will be a Laker.
Retweeted by David Aldridge

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-16-2012, 06:51 PM
that is step #2 in becoming the oldest team in history.
step 3: Grant Hill

LA_Showtime
07-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Lettuce Disgust.
:coleman:

The Choken One
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
that is step #2 in becoming the oldest team in history.
step 3: Grant Hill
Too bad the Nets already jumped on Stackhouse...then they'd have that shit locked up.

LA_Showtime

That is one of the most unintentionally hilarious tweets ever. I don't know why but it made me LOL

Clippersfan86
Lakers address their screen n roll and transition defense by adding Nash and Jamison. :bowdown:

:roll: :roll: . They get quite a bit better though... but I agree it's going away from addressing weaknesses.

DuMa
2012 Senior's NBA tour in full effect.

first game of the schedule. NYK @ LAL

Celtic_Pride
07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
A nice stretch 4 of the bench to complement Bynum and Gasol. Good pickup

BlackVVaves
07-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Literally, the only move they can make to improve that is trading for Dwight Howard.

Are they supposed to just sign bigs that can defend the pick and roll this off-season?

:facepalm

Anyway don't get the signing for them, but anything is better than that joke of a bench they employed last year so.

AMISTILLILL
07-16-2012, 06:55 PM
All NBA No Defense Second Unit:

PG: Steve Blake
SG: Andrew Goudelock
SF: Antawn Jamison
PF: Josh McRoberts
C: Some Scrub

Bosnian Sajo
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
THANK THE LORD, if we get Grant Hill as well as one of Rush/Mayo...it would be a shame if we DIDNT win the title :cheers:

Umad101
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
We will do to Jamison what lebron couldn't, get him a ring lol

BlackVVaves
07-16-2012, 06:57 PM

:roll:

Starting 5 isn't that great defensively either.

Lucky the only thing their coach is good at is defense.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 06:58 PM

:roll:

ZenMaster
07-16-2012, 06:58 PM
:roll: :roll: . They get quite a bit better though... but I agree it's going away from addressing weaknesses.

Seems like we're trying to address our weaknesses by being strong in other parts of the game.

On offense hitting shots, going to FT line, not making turnovers, getting offensive rebounds and getting hands on offensive rebounds so they go out of bounds will reduce the ammount of defensive transition situations.

Lakers with Steve Nash and a decent 3pt shooter at the 3 spot should be near the top of offense in the league.

DuMa
07-16-2012, 06:59 PM
David Aldridge: Source confirms "strong interest" by Jamison in Lakers, says deal not done. Charlotte Observer says Jamison "will" be a Laker, per source

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-16-2012, 07:02 PM

look at this mutha fcuka...never posting anything that makes any sense...

AMISTILLILL
07-16-2012, 07:03 PM
What does this do to LA's options for acquiring G. Hill? What all have they used, as far as MLE/mini-MLE/bi-annual/etc? I imagine moving on Jamison indicates that they have or will move on from Grant Hill. Clippers might be able to offer Hill more cash or more years than the Lakers are willing to give.

nevetslc88
07-16-2012, 07:04 PM
If they did i hope its for the vets min not the MMLE.

longtime lurker
Not sure how I feel about this? Lakers need to get younger and more athletic. I mean Antawn Jamison is alright but is there anything he does that Shawne Williams couldn't do? Let's not even mention defense.

RazorBaLade
What does this do to LA's options for acquiring G. Hill? What all have they used, as far as MLE/mini-MLE/bi-annual/etc? I imagine moving on Jamison indicates that they have or will move on from Grant Hill. Clippers might be able to offer Hill more cash or more years than the Lakers are willing to give.

90% sure this is mini MLE

So, that leaves us vet MLE.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan

:biggums:
huh?? they literally couldnt score any points when the bench was in...they had bigs like Murphy/Mcrob/J Hill...none of those idiots could make anything outside 5ft.....

when was the last time a bench player was known for his defense???

Rekindled
07-16-2012, 07:05 PM

if grant hill comes, it will be for vet min.

G-Funk
07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
ahhh lawd, the haters!!!! rolol

nevetslc88
07-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell
On Antawn Jamison choosing the Lakers over the #Bobcats and Nets: http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_the_nba/2012/07/antawn-jamison-chooses-lakers-over-bobcats.html

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell

G-Funk
07-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Lakers bench was nearly if not dead last offensively! FAK yeah it addresses our weakness, WTF u nigguhs smoking on? rolol!

NOHCP3
07-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Wonder if he has anything left in the tank. Once upon a time this guy was supposed to help The Cavs over the top and help LBJ to a title... Seems like long ago but it wasnt

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd say he's still good enough to start over Artest.

Nash
Kobe
Jamison
Gasol
Bynum

Would be very good. If he's coming off bench he can probably give you 10+ points and 7+ rebounds a game which is very good. No doubt adds much needed depth to the Lakers. They are so old from top to bottom though. You'd think they would be getting younger pieces to make the near future rebuild less harsh.

OG LeeTSkeeT
07-16-2012, 07:16 PM
jamison, ghill, and resign jhill and meeks.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Would be very good. If he's coming off bench he can probably give you 10+ points and 7+ rebounds a game which is very good. No doubt adds much needed depth to the Lakers. They are so old from top to bottom though. You'd think they would be getting younger pieces to make the near future rebuild less harsh.

he will only come off the bench...no other way around

RazorBaLade
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM

Nash
Kobe
Jamison
Gasol
Bynum

i doubt he'll ever bring artest off the bench because artest doesnt play right.

loses focus, etc. not a bench player

LA_Showtime
07-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Oh man, we might not be able to sign a 39-year-old small forward who is coming off a serious knee injury. Damnit anyway.

LA_Showtime
Objective going into the summer: Get younger, faster, stronger

Reality: Sign Nash, Hill

DStebb716
The new LO

rawimpact
07-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Nash
Kobe
Jamison
Gasol
Bynum

lakers rebuild faster than any other team, history has proven it. no need to worry.

amfirst
07-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I really don't care... Lakers bench last year could not score a point, so adding veterans to the team for a extra few points is better than anything we had.

amfirst
07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
u understand in 2 years just about everyone on the Lakers drop off the books except prob bynum. That means they can sign a superstar for the max to pair with Bynum or Dwight. Lakers are smarter than u think. Then they would be right back into contention.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 07:26 PM
lakers rebuild faster than any other team, history has proven it. no need to worry.

History doesn't always repeat itself. No guarantees it happens again ESPECIALLY with Jim Buss running the show. You guys have been bitching like crazy about how he's messing up the Lakers yet you have blind faith of another rapid rebuild? Why not just do it right and not bank on that?

Droid101
07-16-2012, 07:26 PM
u understand in 2 years just about everyone on the Lakers drop off the books except prob bynum. That means they can sign a superstar for the max to pair with Bynum or Dwight. Lakers are smarter than u think. Then they would be right back into contention.
Kobe's 30 million comes off the books the same year Kevin Love can be an unrestricted free agent?

Come home my man!

LA_Showtime
07-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Yup. They are doing it right. Even better if they can flip Bynum for Dwight. The vision is strong with Mitch.

rawimpact
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
History doesn't always repeat itself. No guarantees it happens again ESPECIALLY with Jim Buss running the show. You guys have been bitching like crazy about how he's messing up the Lakers yet you have blind faith of another rapid rebuild? Why not just do it right and not bank on that?

Because i dont run the lakers? We can't do anything but be optimistic fans...

amfirst
Yea, but Hill gets to play with his BFF Nash. Look at Ray rejecting more money to play w the enemy. Money is less important to the old timers.

SpecialQue
Too chaffed to fap. :(

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Objective going into the summer: Get younger, faster, stronger

Reality: Sign Nash, Hill

why the fcuk are u behaving like he is going to get starters minutes??? he will be a role bench player...nothing else...

with our price range...lakers are not going to get young, fast and stronger players at all...which younger, faster & stronger player are out there in FA?

other then B Rush?

Clippersfan86
Because i dont run the lakers? We can't do anything but be optimistic fans...

I've been the same way for almost 15 years so that's a fair answer... just don't pass it as a fact that it WILL happen. I get it if you have faith it will happen but history is no indication of anything considering the guy running the show now appears to be a straight idiot compared to his father.

LA_Showtime

I think they'll be fine. I was initially worried about Jim Buss but I think we're in good hands as long as Mitch stays on board. It's obvious that Jim doesn't value picks and thinks we'll be able to rebuild through trades and the lure of LA. I tend to agree with him.

StateOfMind12
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
He is definitely going to be a whipping boy because he ****ing sucks. He is like a PF version of Steve Blake except Blake is a better shooter.

takai
Would be some much needed depth.

Clippersfan86
I think they'll be fine. I was initially worried about Jim Buss but I think we're in good hands as long as Mitch stays on board. It's obvious that Jim doesn't value picks and thinks we'll be able to rebuild through trades and the lure of LA. I tend to agree with him.

I know I'm not a Lakers fan so not sure if Lakers fans agree with me... but continuously adding 33+ year old players doesn't seem like a sustainable thing. What's going to happen is your entire core is going to retire within 2-3 seasons of each other and leave the roster bare bones. Ideally they should be mixing some young talent in like San Antonio has done last couple years.

BlackVVaves

I'd agree, but long as Mitch is around they have reason to at least be confident in their rebuilding capabilities.

Now, when Mitch leaves, they just might be ****ed :lol

Batz
07-16-2012, 07:33 PM
I know I'm not a Lakers fan so not sure if Lakers fans agree with me... but continuously adding 33+ year old players doesn't seem like a sustainable thing. What's going to happen is your entire core is going to retire within 2-3 seasons of each other and leave the roster bare bones. Ideally they should be mixing some young talent in like San Antonio has done last couple years.
The Lakers are in a more "**** the future, lets win now." with Kobe near retirement. They aim to keep Bynum, and worry about winning when Kobe retires. Which is actually somewhat smart.

AMISTILLILL
07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Oh man, we might not be able to sign a 39-year-old small forward who is coming off a serious knee injury. Damnit anyway.
Okay...

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I'd agree, but long as Mitch is around they have reason to at least be confident in their rebuilding capabilities.

Now, when Mitch leaves, they just might be ****ed :lol

Maybe I'm thinking of something else but don't Mitch and Jim have drama between them? I remember Lakers fans talking about Mitch possibly leaving this offseason or something (haven't heard it since months ago).

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 07:36 PM
The Lakers are in a more "**** the future, lets win now." with Kobe near retirement. They aim to keep Bynum, and worry about winning when Kobe retires. Which is actually somewhat smart.

Makes sense but risky. I may be in the minority but I personally think at all times you should be building for now AND future. I suppose given the price of the Lakers big 3... they didn't have that luxury, especially considering they never get lotto picks.

LA_Showtime
07-16-2012, 07:36 PM

We don't have the money right now to lure young talent to LA. Obviously it would be nice to sign a guy like Mayo, but I don't see why he would take less money just to play for the Lakers. That's why we're targeting guys like Jamison and Grant Hill. They are cheap.

I actually love what we're doing with the roster. We are gearing up for a 1-3 year title run, and then once Kobe finally decides to call it quits we are going have a bunch of cap space that may enable us to sign another superstar.

BlackVVaves
07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Maybe I'm thinking of something else but don't Mitch and Jim have drama between them? I remember Lakers fans talking about Mitch possibly leaving this offseason or something (haven't heard it since months ago).

Beats me :confusedshrug:

Care to address this, Lakers fans?

LA_Showtime
07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
why the fcuk are u behaving like he is going to get starters minutes??? he will be a role bench player...nothing else...

with our price range...lakers are not going to get young, fast and stronger players at all...which younger, faster & stronger player are out there in FA?

other then B Rush?

Uh, I'm not? I just think it's funny that our objective has gone the opposite direction, that's all.

Batz
07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Makes sense but risky. I may be in the minority but I personally think at all times you should be building for now AND future. I suppose given the price of the Lakers big 3... they didn't have that luxury, especially considering they never get lotto picks.
They don't have that Luxury yes. But they have a center piece for the future and that's Bynum. The Spurs like you mentioned, don't have a Bynum. Thus the Lakers don't aim to move in such directions. They are in win mode now, and then once Kobe retires, and Bynum is still around and active, they'll rebuild through Free Agency rather than play the draft. Which Spurs don't have such a luxury.

BlueandGold
07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I think that over the last 30 years that statement definitely has merit, as a Clipper fan I would think you would believe in the magic and power of established NBA FOs by now.

BTW does anyone know how long the deal is and how much the contract is?

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-16-2012, 07:40 PM

lol not really...this is the lakers we are talking about....after 2014 we will have 62mil expiring...thats 30kobe + 20 Pau + 8 MWP + 4 blake

in 2014 the whole NBA seems to be a free agent...we will be more then OK at that point...

Only contract will be nash and either of Bynum/Howard

Batz
07-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I think that over the last 30 years that statement definitely has merit, as a Clipper fan I would think you would believe in the magic and power of established NBA FOs by now.

BTW does anyone know how long the deal is and how much the contract is?
Cross your fingers and hope that it's the Veterans Minimum.

gyu
07-16-2012, 07:42 PM
He's old but still a very solid player, especially for off the bench. Nice pickup, Lakers looking very very stacked.

The-Legend-24
07-16-2012, 07:43 PM
I would prefer them to get younger players but, Antawn will improve our bench scoring by a lot, getting mayo will also help, but I doubt he signs for less money.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Lakers probably are paying mini mid. If they get him for minimum that's a laughable robbery. He's worth mini mid to full MLE honestly. Didn't he put up 14 and 8 last year?

Batz
07-16-2012, 07:45 PM
He's old but still a very solid player, especially for off the bench. Nice pickup, Lakers looking very very stacked.
Not really stacked... And nothing even official about Jamison.

Nash/Crap
Kobe/Crap
Artest/Crap
Pau/Jamison
Bynum/Nobody

Yikes.

BlueandGold
07-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Cross your fingers and hope that it's the Veterans Minimum.
I heard someone else say that the Lakers have the "mini-MLE" (not idea what it means in the new CBA) and the veterans MLE to choose from.. which one is worth more? the mini or the vet?

I've been the same way for almost 15 years so that's a fair answer... just don't pass it as a fact that it WILL happen. I get it if you have faith it will happen but history is no indication of anything considering the guy running the show now appears to be a straight idiot compared to his father.
failed grade school history I see, and obviously not a history fan at all.

History does have huge repercussions in every aspect of life. History is why the Celtics and Lakers are so valued, dominant and will continue to be dominant even in the future.

Do you know why the Lakers rebuild so fast? Because even during down years they still sell massive amounts of merchandise and tickets and their brand has been established for the past 3 decades. That is exactly what history is about

BlackVVaves
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM
He's not worth full MLE.

Levity
07-16-2012, 07:46 PM

very very stacked?? not really at all. nice starting 5, 1 nice bench player (jamison) and 5 scrubs filling out the rest of our roster. but i doubt this is the last move la makes before the season starts.

rawimpact
07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Lakers probably are paying mini mid. If they get him for minimum that's a laughable robbery. He's worth mini mid to full MLE honestly. Didn't he put up 14 and 8 last year?

Yes, he did but on a scrub team. Anyways back to what we were talking about. The lakers have a lot of trade assets. Pau can go for solid young guys, Nash can go to a contender for picks etc. And there's Bynum...

It's only worrying when you're like last years suns. Really no future lock, couldn't make playoffs... then you have to get picks. This laker squad can still compete.

Droid101
07-16-2012, 07:47 PM
very very stacked?? not really at all. nice starting 5, 1 nice bench player (jamison) and 5 scrubs filling out the rest of our roster. but i doubt this is the last move la makes before the season starts.
That's what we said last year after Troy Murphy. :cry:

BlackVVaves
07-16-2012, 07:48 PM

Nash/Crap
Kobe/Crap
Artest/Crap
Pau/Jamison
Bynum/Nobody

Yikes.

Their only saving grace is that, at least on paper, they have a top 5 starting lineup.

Batz
07-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Their only saving grace is that, at least on paper, they have a top 5 starting lineup.
That's not saying much. The depth is going to kick them in the ass when it matters as it has so much the past 2-3 seasons.

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 07:50 PM
BlueandGold I hate to be a dick but nothing you've said makes any sense at all. Selling merchandise and making profits has NOTHING to do with the front office building contenders. Jerry Buss is quite possibly the best owner in NBA history and has been with the Lakers for almost their entire dominance outside of the Mikan era. We are talking about the owner during Showtime, Shaq+Kobe and now the new era of Lakers. Those teams alone are responsible for what 11 of your total championships???

The reason your team has been so successful primarily is Jerry's dedication, love and passion for the team. He's invested big money in coaches and front office and he's always been willing to add talent intelligently. Take away that owner and things obviously change. BTW what does grade school teach about history that's relevant to sports history being repetitive? NOTHING.

My only point was that the Lakers ownership has changed to a worse one and fans should be cautious when comparing now to the days of Jerry Buss' reign.

gyu
07-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Nash/Crap
Kobe/Crap
Artest/Crap
Pau/Jamison
Bynum/Nobody

Yikes.
I personally think Blake and Barnes are very solid players as well. I also thought McRoberts is pretty decent for a backup PF, and Ebanks has shown potential for sure. Plus 4/5 could potentially all be all-stars this upcoming season., that just shows how much talent they have.

Edit: oops, 4/5 starters. not Artest/World Peace

Batz
07-16-2012, 07:51 PM
I personally think Blake and Barnes are very solid players as well. I also thought McRoberts is pretty decent for a backup PF, and Ebanks has shown potential for sure. Plus their starting 5 could potentially all be all-stars this upcoming season., that just shows how much talent they have.
Blake sucks. He's statistically the worst defender in the league, and his offense sucks even more. Lakers are not signing Barnes. Mcbob sucks. Ebanks sucks.

They all suck.

BlueandGold I hate to be a dick but nothing you've said makes any sense at all. Selling merchandise and making profits has NOTHING to do with the front office building contenders. Jerry Buss is quite possibly the best owner in NBA history and has been with the Lakers for almost their entire dominance outside of the Mikan era. We are talking about the owner during Showtime, Shaq+Kobe and now the new era of Lakers. Those teams alone are responsible for what 11 of your total championships???

The reason your team has been so successful primarily is Jerry's dedication, love and passion for the team. He's invested big money in coaches and front office and he's always been willing to add talent intelligently. Take away that owner and things obviously change. BTW what does grade school teach about history that's relevant to sports history being repetitive? NOTHING.

My only point was that the Lakers ownership has changed to a worse one and fans should be cautious when comparing now to the days of Jerry Buss' reign.
The new owner has gotten us Chris Paul, Steve Nash and was the guy who drafted Andrew Bynum and elected not to trade him through his injury seasons. He was also one of the brains behind the Gasol trade.

So bless Jerry, but the Lakers will be fine without him.

IGotACoolStory
07-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Artest an all-star :biggums:

rawimpact
07-16-2012, 07:52 PM
I personally think Blake and Barnes are very solid players as well. I also thought McRoberts is pretty decent for a backup PF, and Ebanks has shown potential for sure. Plus their starting 5 could potentially all be all-stars this upcoming season., that just shows how much talent they have.

Barnes has always been a great slasher, that's why he did great over in orlando with jameer. The guy would make great cuts and deliver. When he went to the lakers without a proper pg, he'd have to settle for outside shots or assists from Pau. I am expecting a better season from him now with Nash. They seem like they'll play well together if barnes stays with them.

longtime lurker
07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I really hope he signed for the vet min or the Lakers have a trade for brandon rush lined up. The mini mle needs to be offered to Randy Foye, courtney lee or terrence williams. Btw does anybody know how the hell Jamison averaged 17 and 7 last year?

chazzy
07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Not at this age. Full MLE is 5 years.. and he put up numbers inefficiently on a bad team

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Not at this age. Full MLE is 5 years.. and he put up numbers inefficiently on a bad team

MLE ranges in years. I meant full as in the dollar amount, not years (5 mill).

BlackVVaves
That's not saying much. The depth is going to kick them in the ass when it matters as it has so much the past 2-3 seasons.

Yup. But more than anything, they just need a bench that can maintain leads in the regular season and just produce in the playoffs. Miami and Boston rounded out the worst statistic scoring benches in the playoffs. But that's only because they were so crap in first 2 rounds, and so elite in the last 2.

Levity
I really hope he signed for the vet min or the Lakers have a trade for brandon rush lined up. The mini mle needs to be offered to Randy Foye, courtney lee or terrence williams. Btw does anybody know how the hell Jamison averaged 17 and 7 last year?

a veteran on a shitty team. coach scott let him fire away shots all day. theres a reason he shot 40% from the field.

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Lakers still have work to do.
Right now, they would be the oldest 6-deep in the league.

Levity
07-16-2012, 07:58 PM
That's what we said last year after Troy Murphy. :cry:

haha. the sad, cold truth.

Batz
07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Free agent Antawn Jamison to talk to @Lakers Tuesday, source said. Vet forward excited to play with Kobe & Nash, but still awaiting offer.
Well, see ya tomorrow guys.

Borat
07-16-2012, 08:06 PM
He'll be chewed up and spat out. Come home dude.

PickernRoller
07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Interesting, should be a nice addition for sure...at the end of the day what can we offer other than spare change? If we do get him it should be fun to see with what...I am sure it will be a grandiose load of crap at any rate.

RazorBaLade
07-16-2012, 08:28 PM

He would win more games in a month on the lakers than 2 yrs of playing on his home team..

ispin69
07-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Haha..lakers wanting this trash. Remember when he looked so good ON PAPER with Lebron? Huge choke job, way too soft.

AK47DR91
07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Happened to him in Cleveland when he was supposed to be the 2nd option.

That 2010 Celtics series exposed him. He was considered a borderline #2 and a solid #3 guy. but that wasn't the case.

Now on the Lakers, he'll be one of the bench guys. Don't think it'll be as bad as it was for him in Cleveland. Less pressure in terms of his role.

DirtySanchez
07-16-2012, 08:50 PM
We are talking about a bench player here. Jamison is a great great great pick up for the Lakers. He can still play and now will be on limited minute.

Bigsmoke
07-16-2012, 08:51 PM
where are this Lakers team is ranked amongst the oldest NBA team in history.

DirtySanchez
07-16-2012, 08:53 PM
where are this Lakers team is ranked amongst the oldest NBA team in history.

a Dallas vet team won it all in 2011. So did a Miami vet team in 06.

BlueandGold
07-16-2012, 08:53 PM

Ok that was kinda my point as well, that the reason why the Lakers are such a dominant brand was because of the brilliance of the FO (front office, aka Jerry Buss, Jerry West, Lakers braintrust) made it that way.

Plus ticket sales/merchandise sales does have a huge impact in how much money a franchise is able to spend in FA (maybe less so with the new CBA). Sure the reverse side of that argument is the Knicks but they at least have the money to pursue big-name FA's year in and year out. The celtics and Lakers also have that type of luxury yet they obviously have made much better use of it.

I was just pointing out the fallacy of your "history doesn't mean anything" argument, in that history has huge repercussions on what the future will look like.

Umad101
07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Better than any trash we got on the lakers bench now, I ain't complaining

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Ok that was kinda my point as well, that the reason why the Lakers are such a dominant brand was because of the brilliance of the FO (front office, aka Jerry Buss, Jerry West, Lakers braintrust) made it that way.

Plus ticket sales/merchandise sales does have a huge impact in how much money a franchise is able to spend in FA (maybe less so with the new CBA). Sure the reverse side of that argument is the Knicks but they at least have the money to pursue big-name FA's year in and year out. The celtics and Lakers also have that type of luxury yet they obviously have made much better use of it.

I was just pointing out the fallacy of your "history doesn't mean anything" argument, in that history has huge repercussions on what the future will look like.

That has nothing to do with history and it's cycle though. That specifically has to do with Jerry Buss. Take him out of the picture and you obviously can't expect the same results. Since Jim has taken over the Lakers have gotten stomped two years in a row in the second round and have improved the roster very little (outside of Nash trade, not at all really). It's already clear Jim ain't no Jerry so to say history will repeat itself isn't accurate.

BlueandGold
07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
That has nothing to do with history and it's cycle though. That specifically has to do with Jerry Buss. Take him out of the picture and you obviously can't expect the same results. Since Jim has taken over the Lakers have gotten stomped two years in a row in the second round and have improved the roster very little (outside of Nash trade, not at all really). It's already clear Jim ain't no Jerry so to say history will repeat itself isn't accurate.
It's not just Jerry, it's the people he surrounds himself with. Kareem has been a special assistant coach the past decade and a half, everyone who has won a championship with the Lakers is welcome in the locker room, the organization has made brilliant GM hires in West and now Kupchak. Dr. Buss has built himself an incredible team of NBA brains around him, if his son just listens to some of them on the big issues (resigning/letting go Bynum, big contract stuff) then I have full faith and confidence that the Lakers will be a perennial powerhouse once again (they really haven't dropped off since their last title in '10)

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 09:04 PM
It's not just Jerry, it's the people he surrounds himself with. Kareem has been a special assistant coach the past decade and a half, everyone who has won a championship with the Lakers is welcome in the locker room, the organization has made brilliant GM hires in West and now Kupchak. Dr. Buss has built himself an incredible team of NBA brains around him, if his son just listens to some of them on the big issues (resigning/letting go Bynum, big contract stuff) then I have full faith and confidence that the Lakers will be a perennial powerhouse once again (they really haven't dropped off since their last title in '10)

I agree he has great support but Jim being in charge is a huge problem and Lakers fans know and acknowledge this.

no pun intended
07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Jamison is a very good pickup by the Lakers. They should be proud.

Cangri
07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
He's good as long you don't expect him to play as a starter.

BlueandGold
07-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I agree he has great support but Jim being in charge is a huge problem and Lakers fans know and acknowledge this.
Aye, i agree with you 100% on this.

I believe Jim has essentially had opportunities to trade Bynum for Kidd (when bynum was younger, when Kidd was closer to his prime), Melo and Dwight and hesitated on all three because he's too emotionally attached to him. Also his competence level seems to be much much lower than his Dad, who had OCD type of attention to detail when it came to the Lakers.

Levity
07-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Haha..lakers wanting this trash. Remember when he looked so good ON PAPER with Lebron? Huge choke job, way too soft.

he was expected to be clevelands #2 option after lebron. he most likely wont even be an option for la. not really hard to comprehend...

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Aye, i agree with you 100% on this.

I believe Jim has essentially had opportunities to trade Bynum for Kidd (when bynum was younger, when Kidd was closer to his prime), Melo and Dwight and hesitated on all three because he's too emotionally attached to him. Also his competence level seems to be much much lower than his Dad, who had OCD type of attention to detail when it came to the Lakers.

Yup :cheers:

Clippersfan86
07-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Mitch Kupchak about Antawn Jamison. He acknowledged interest but said: "We're not about to do anything. I would know."

Story Up
07-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Dream off-season

Howard - Hill
Gasol - Jamison - McRoberts
World Peace - Hill - Ebanks
Bryant - J. Richardson - Goudelock
Nash - Blake

Not totally impossible, if Jamison is inked: we'd need the Howard trade to work and sign Hill on a vet contract. We'd still have mini MLE to pursue someone else like Rush or Lee, or Meeks etc.

The bench would be great tho, we'd add 3 players who averaged 10 PPG last year in Jamison, Rich and Hill. I'd love to add Lee or Rush, but it's unlikely. Jordan Hill, Blake, McBob and Goudelock/Ebanks is not a bad way to round off the bench. First two were our best players off the bench last year.

If we can assemble this team, we're as good as anyone

DTreats
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Dream off-season

Howard - Hill
Nash - Blake

Not totally impossible, if Jamison is inked: we'd need the Howard trade to work and sign Hill on a vet contract. We'd still have mini MLE to pursue someone else like Rush or Lee, or Meeks etc.

The bench would be great tho, we'd add 3 players who averaged 10 PPG last year in Jamison, Rich and Hill. I'd love to add Lee or Rush, but it's unlikely. Jordan Hill, Blake, McBob and Goudelock/Ebanks is not a bad way to round off the bench. First two were our best players off the bench last year.

Nash doesn't want Richardson on this team, if the Howard trade does take place there's going to be a 3rd team to take Rich/Hedo on.

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Nash doesn't want Richardson on this team, if the Howard trade does take place there's going to be a 3rd team to take Rich/Hedo on.
:oldlol:

KingLeBronJames
07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Our old bench are still better than the Lakers and all other 29 teams.

DukeDelonte13
07-16-2012, 10:58 PM
he was expected to be clevelands #2 option after lebron. he most likely wont even be an option for la. not really hard to comprehend...

:facepalm Cleveland gave up Darnell Jackson and Z for 30 days for Jamison.. he was just brought in cause Cleveland was missing a 4 that could shoot.

But adding Jamison is a complete wash. His lack of D negates his scoring.

BlackVVaves
07-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Dream off-season

Howard - Hill
Nash - Blake

If Lakers are to take Richardson's contract, Artest would likely have to go as well to make the contracts match, no?

Unless it's a three team trade.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
07-16-2012, 11:18 PM
If Lakers are to take Richardson's contract, Artest would likely have to go as well to make the contracts match, no?

Unless it's a three team trade.

No... Bynum/ebanks/Eyenga/mcroberts/Blake for Howard/jrich works

jbryan1984
07-16-2012, 11:21 PM
He will be great offense off the bench for the Lakers. Defense sucks, but he can score.

TryToBeUnbias
07-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Probably Better than our entire bench.

MrMAgic023
07-16-2012, 11:28 PM
2012 Senior's NBA tour in full effect.

first game of the schedule. NYK @ LAL

hahaha :banana: :banana:

oh the horror
07-16-2012, 11:39 PM

This.

If this were to go down, people need to understand, we literally had ZERO production from the bench last season.

I watched countless Laker games where it was Kobe/Gasol/Bynum vs entire fu*king teams.

DKLaker
07-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Dream off-season

Howard - Hill
Nash - Blake

I was with you until the end.......and then I saw Blake :facepalm :oldlol: :oldlol:

YAWN
07-16-2012, 11:56 PM
yep.

hope this is for vets min so we can sign someone else that know how to score the basketball for the second unit.

Those 14-2 runs by other teams to start the 4th quarter every game got kind of annoying after a while.

oh the horror
07-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Those 14-2 runs by other teams to start the 4th quarter every game got kind of annoying after a while.

You aint lying. People need to realize how horrific our bench was. Nash, plus the addition of several capable scorers and some okay defenders could prolong Kobe, Gasol, and Bynum in a big way.

nevetslc88
07-16-2012, 11:59 PM
[quote]Antawn Jamison picks L.A. over Charlotte, the Bobcats

LAS VEGAS Charlottean Antawn Jamison has chosen the Los Angeles Lakers over his hometown Bobcats, the Observer has learned.

Jamison, who starred at Providence High and North Carolina, gave serious consideration to finishing his NBA career as a Bobcat. But late Monday he decided to sign with the Lakers for a chance to pursue a championship, an informed source told the Observer.

[SIZE="3"][b] Jamison is on vacation in Europe. He

wally_world
07-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I like this signing since he'll be coming off the bench. Will help space the floor for Nash to work, and can play some SF as well in case they dont get Grant Hill.

oh the horror
07-17-2012, 12:09 AM
So far Im fairly pleased with the offseason moves. Nash will make EVERYONE better than they should be.

WeGetRing2012
07-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Hopefully he plays well for us. I remember I was excited when we got Blake :cry:

d.bball.guy
07-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Very nice :cheers: Certainly brings offense that the bench needs. Now the Lakers just need a backup C and some wing defenders who can shoot off the bench.

BlackVVaves
07-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Mitch is so :roll:

It's almost like, only when he says he's really trying to make moves should you believe he's not making any moves. Dude is sly as a fox when it comes to preventing leaks into the media than can serve as roadblocks if other teams find out and try and make a calculated move of prevention (like Knicks camp swearing they'd match anything to a billion, causing the Rockets to inflate the deal in a strategic, "**** you" way.

Billy King could learn a thing or two.

DirtySanchez
07-17-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm happy with these moves....sad we lost Sessions but Nash and Jamison are huge for us. Wish we could get more youth but it looks like the front office is thinking win now. Love it!!!

Lamar Doom
07-17-2012, 03:34 AM
http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/16/antawn-jamison-lakers-free-agent-bobcats-nets-los-angeles/

pretty exciting. i've said for a long time he has the most unique offensive game in the league. it is actually starting to get funny how many "old" guys are on the squad. Hoping this goes official later today (tuesday)

KeyNote
07-17-2012, 03:55 AM
So Nash & Jamison..Potentially Brandon Rush & J'Oneal or G.Hill

Mitch & Jim styling on the doubters this offseason

All Net
07-17-2012, 04:01 AM
Great pickup

His scoring will be very important for a bench which was a joke last year.

LakersReign
07-17-2012, 04:16 AM
As long as we sign some capable bench players to upgrade our nonexistent bench for the last few seasons, I'm good.

Ass Dan
07-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Fakk am I ever lovin my Lakers these days, they just keep adding quality pieces.

He would have been a key piece of last year's team, we'd have given our collective left nuts for him.

Say what you want about Antawn, hate him or love him he is first and foremost a good basketball player, and when you get good basketball players willing to accept smaller roles as they near the end of their careers they usually over-deliver.

The Lakers are becoming a TEAM, not just 'Kobe and Company'. Nash will accept his role, Jamison will accept his role, Bynum and Gasol will be happier getting more touch and Kobe will get easier shots, increase his pct markedly and accept his new role as the alpha on a good team, not just an alpha draggin guys around.

The locker room dynamic is changing, the leadership dynamic is changing, the Lakers are a man's team.

Watch the fakk out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

White Mamba
07-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Fakk am I ever lovin my Lakers these days, they just keep adding quality pieces.

He would have been a key piece of last year's team, we'd have given our collective left nuts for him.

Say what you want about Antawn, hate him or love him he is first and foremost a good basketball player, and when you get good basketball players willing to accept smaller roles as they near the end of their careers they usually over-deliver.

The Lakers are becoming a TEAM, not just 'Kobe and Company'. Nash will accept his role, Jamison will accept his role, Bynum and Gasol will be happier getting more touch and Kobe will get easier shots, increase his pct markedly and accept his new role as the alpha on a good team, not just an alpha draggin guys around.

The locker room dynamic is changing, the leadership dynamic is changing, the Lakers are a man's team.

Watch the fakk out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bowdown:

All Net
07-17-2012, 06:31 AM
His scoring will be so important even at age 36 he can still score and score in bunches. Something this team lacked this past season.

willds09
07-17-2012, 06:32 AM
time for lebron lamez to get sca:applause: red

Optimus Prime
07-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Mitch is a genius. The Lakers two main problems last year were a pg worth anything and scoring off the bench. Nash and Antawn fix those problems nicely. Grant Hill would just be gravy.:cheers:

Win a ring or two now with these old guys and Kobe's last few remaining good years ... rebuild down the road around Bynum / Howard. Excellent plan.:bowdown:

:kobe:

sosolid4u09
07-17-2012, 10:57 AM
wtf?

Staples becoming an old people home.

Get Grant Hill next then finish their offseason by getting SHAQ out of retirement

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-17-2012, 11:12 AM
wtf?

Staples becoming an old people home.

Get Grant Hill next then finish their offseason by getting SHAQ out of retirement
Lol...when I seen the pic of shaq with the sprayed on abs, I was like damn bring him back to backup Bynum. Then I realized the abs were sprayed on.:facepalm

Story Up
07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Lol people so mad they trying to act like LA won't kick ass bc of age.

LakersReign
07-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Just love the bandwagon Lebron fan aka Lebronyte hypocrisy. Yeah Jamison is 'old" and can't do anything. But Ray Allen ISN'T "old" and can't do anything. Then they wonder why nobody takes anything they say seriously:facepalm

longtime lurker
07-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Any news on Brandon Rush yet? I'd be so ****ing geeked if the Lakers could sign him and Jamison this offseason. They would have addressed their outside shooting and bench scoring problems in one offseason. Come on Mitch!

brownmamba00
07-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Good pickup
now resign hill and GET COURTNEY LEE ASAP

blake (:cry:)-lee-ebanks-jamison-hill :pimp: