PDA

View Full Version : Your reaction to Lin leaving NY, as a fan of NY or not.

Draz
07-17-2012, 11:40 PM
My view: he was very, very, appreciated here in NY by the majority of the fans and players. He was easily marketed not just by his performances but by his race. He played with

Heart
Passion
Energy
Love

He gave it his 100 on the court. He was real bad his first time playing, I'm not talking about when he started. He was amazing when he became a starter.

But let's talk about why he left and how. I don't care that he left, I care that he did his part and did what any one of us may have done, cash and pushing his value worth.

There's rumors going around he got an offer sheet from Houston, comes back to NY, NY agrees to match, and he goes back to Houston, upgrades his contract.

There's also rumors going around Dolan was pissed about that, thus not resigning because of that and tax.

But beside the fact he left, he joins the team that cuts him, and the team that cuts him throws a big contract at him. Has this ever happened before? What are your thoughts?

Xiao Yao You
07-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Great! Might be the return of Linsanity and I can watch Rockets games again instead of Camelo iso's in China.

bluechox2
07-17-2012, 11:43 PM
get ready for...... FELTONMANIA!!!

NewYorkNoPicks
07-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Was too timid once Melo came back.

Forte is scoring a la Tony Parker, however was passive when he wasnt the focal point.

Woudnt thrive in Woodsons system which is iso heavy, and Melo-centric.

Hell do well in houston, over here his numbers wouldve been pedestrian on a healthy knick team

Had he played poorly that contract wouldve been crippling

Story Up
07-17-2012, 11:45 PM
He's a scrub and most overrated flavor of the week ever in sports history. I think like five teams turned the ball over less then this scrub. Hitting a few big shots and playing with confidence for a few weeks and now he's some big shot? Next year welcome to D-League, scrub.

Beebo
07-17-2012, 11:46 PM

:durantunimpressed:

General
07-17-2012, 11:48 PM
I wanted him to stay in NY. It would have been better for the league to have Lin in a big market (LA, NY big). If Howard doesn't end up in Houston the only national TV game we'll see Lin in will be when he plays against the Knicks.

Droid101
07-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Why is this a thread? There's a million with the same goddamn content.

Oh yeah:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-byvwcC7duwc/UATYOqj_QBI/AAAAAAAAb9M/SQO-TPiArTQ/s588/jeremylin.png

TheAesirsFinest
07-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Despite the fact that I live in Houston, I would have preferred if Lin had stayed in NY if all this drama hadn't happened.

After all that drama and finding out we lost both Lowry and Dragic, I welcome him with open arms. I do not want to rely on Courtney Fortson as my PG.

Hopefully, Melo manages to get better at playmaking over the Olympics.

Draz
07-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Why is this a thread? There's a million with the same goddamn content.

Oh yeah:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-byvwcC7duwc/UATYOqj_QBI/AAAAAAAAb9M/SQO-TPiArTQ/s588/jeremylin.png
My thread actually have better posts, until you post a post about a thread posting content being posted in other threads already.

AK47DR91
07-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Linsanity was one of the greatest two weeks in any regular season of any professional sport in history.

I'm not gonna blame Melo for killing it because Melo did try to fit into the new scheme of things. So was Lin, he wanted Melo to still feel like he's the #1 guy. Both guys tried to adjust so everybody can contribute, but unfortunately it wasn't working. The Lin-Melo-Amare line up never worked. It was either Lin as #1, Melo as #1 or a combination of Lin/Melo or Lin/Amare. Once Lin went down, Melo played like the superstar scorer he once was, similar to Linsanity's performance when Melo was out. Honestly, they just didn't really fit well together.

Maybe that was because the lineup and new roles were brought on out of nowhere and on the spot. No training camp, lack of practice. I was really hoping to see them try to play together a full season under training camp, preseason, practice, etc. Well, we won't get to see that.

As a fairweather Knicks fan, I was really hoping to finally pour my hole heart back into the team. But now...I don't know. I'm not sure what to do. I'm devastated. Now I know what the Beatles fans were going through when Yoko Ono broke up the band. :cry:

Draz
07-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Personally I think Amare is a black hole.

no pun intended
07-18-2012, 12:01 AM
I'm a NY fan, and I don't really give a damn about him leaving. Houston is a pretty neat destination anyway. At least it wasn't like Milwaukee.

EoJ
07-18-2012, 01:47 AM
Lin was the only reason I watched knick games. Would much rather him stay with them.

KyrieTheFuture
07-18-2012, 01:54 AM
I can't believe NY did it.

T-Time3
07-18-2012, 01:55 AM
LINsanity will never happen anymore. Not in Houston,not anywhere but New York City.
deep down as Lin fan, i know that 2week stretch MIGHT be his ceiling, but i know he can improve bcus he has heart and passion.

i'm devastated but as a Knick fan i'm looking forward to next season
see if we can advance to the 2nd round.

ripthekik
07-18-2012, 01:58 AM
My reaction: Melo sucks.

Melo was clearly bitter of this kid stealing his spotlight, and now he's happy he can run the team again. He's going to get the ball from the point guard, jab step for 3 seconds, and then jack-up a shot.

Congrats Knicks fans, must be great having this guy in your team :lol
I really don't see anyone's game messing with his. I think it's definitely better for Lin to leave. He'll never get back to Linsanity in NY, Melo won't let that happen.

kurt_rambis
07-18-2012, 01:59 AM
I wanted him to stay in NY. It would have been better for the league to have Lin in a big market (LA, NY big). If Howard doesn't end up in Houston the only national TV game we'll see Lin in will be when he plays against the Knicks.
yep. not even a knick fan and i'm pretty bummed, actually. even if he turns out to be an near all-star type player in houston (which is an enormous if), linsanity is basically dead. would've been cool if the knicks kept him in NYC, at least for a full year

MeLO MvP 15
07-18-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm still in disbelief.

Funny because when the Felton story leaked I was 100% that Grunwald was a genius because I assumed he was gonna get Felton and keep Lin. Basically bring in another asset for nothing.... I assumed that the reports of that meaning Lin was gone were complete speculation...

I never even liked Lin that much, but he's definitely a good starting PG and his marketability (as long as he's producing somewhat) ups his value a lot. So that's why I'm furious at the fact that one man could be as stubborn with his emotions that he'd make an awful business and basketball decision by letting Lin go.

This wasn't about money. They made it clear they'd match ANYTHING. This wasn't even the highest money that Lin could've been offered. He could've gotten another year with $15 mil if a team was daring enough. This was about Dolan being an immature lil f#ck who just screwed over his team again.

I like Felton a lot. I thought Lin starting with Felton backing him up and playing beside him a little bit with Kidd getting all his minutes at SG would've been great. And I think Felton is a solid starting PG and could even be better than Lin next year... but it's not about that... WE COULD'VE HAD BOTH.

And btw, I don't think Lin would've lived up some of the hype in NY. He would've put up 15 and 8, which is good IMO. But in Houston, he'll probably put up Linsanity type #s again and it's gonna make NY look even dumber.

jlip
07-18-2012, 02:18 AM
As neither a fan of the Knicks, Rockets, or Lin my reaction is as follows:

d.bball.guy
07-18-2012, 02:18 AM
I'm pissed at fans hating on him for leaving. :facepalm :facepalm Loyalty? SMH

They should be thankful he saved the Knicks when they should be losing. Hell he may be the reason the Knicks were able to make it to the playoffs.

DaSeba5
07-18-2012, 02:20 AM
I'm happy he left because I can root for Lin without rooting for the Knicks.

Nevaeh
07-18-2012, 02:34 AM
All things considered, it was probably best for him, considering the microscope he'd be under playing with teammates who's game didn't compliment his, along with the constant media attention.

When he landed that contract in Houston, it must have felt like hitting the lottery, being in a small yet still popular market, without the constant pressure, and the ability to just play "his game", and not constantly worrying about stepping on other star players' toes.

I LUV KOBE
07-18-2012, 02:35 AM
who cares? Lin sucks...

LBJMVP
07-18-2012, 02:38 AM
i cant believe new york didnt match

im no pro at being an owner but wouldnt lin net you like millions just because he is on your team?

lets be honest here... either new york will have made a huge mistake or they will have made the 100% right decision.

only time will tell.

also, this is my first post since being unbanned.

read the white text next time you ban me for a post jeff!!!!
God Damn.

ducktape
07-18-2012, 02:39 AM
i still think jeremy lin and mario chalmers are two of the goats

StateOfMind12
07-18-2012, 02:41 AM
lets be honest here... either new york will have made a huge mistake or they will have made the 100% right decision.

New York makes the wrong decision like 99% of the time especially when it comes to player management.

I think it is actually like a given that Lin is legit now. :oldlol:

Seriously, Knicks always give stupid contracts to just about everyone Jerome James, Eddy Curry, Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony, etc. and none of those dudes ever live up to it.

The fact that the Knicks didn't match is probably good news if you are a Lin/Rockets fan because it means that he could very well be worth it.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-18-2012, 02:41 AM
Good move by the Knicks to let him go. He is not a starter in this league. He just caught some lightning in a bottle.

LBJMVP
07-18-2012, 02:51 AM
New York makes the wrong decision like 99% of the time especially when it comes to player management.

I think it is actually like a given that Lin is legit now. :oldlol:

Seriously, Knicks always give stupid contracts to just about everyone Jerome James, Eddy Curry, Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony, etc. and none of those dudes ever live up to it.

The fact that the Knicks didn't match is probably good news if you are a Lin/Rockets fan because it means that he could very well be worth it.

the 15 million part is the part the should scare any GM.

because i dont think lin will ever be a 15 million a year player

the first two years of the contract are great value for lin but that last one scares me because i remeber lins stats dropping drastically the last couple weeks he played with carmello and amare. and you just cant pay 15 million for a guy of that caliber

i will be rooting for lin but as of right now, i believe new york made a good choice.

AlonzoGOAT
07-18-2012, 02:59 AM
LINsanity will never happen anymore. Not in Houston,not anywhere but New York City.
deep down as Lin fan, i know that 2week stretch MIGHT be his ceiling, but i know he can improve bcus he has heart and passion.

i'm devastated but as a Knick fan i'm looking forward to next season
see if we can advance to the 2nd round.

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/oprah_laughing_animated_gif.gif

andgar923
07-18-2012, 03:00 AM
What impressed me about Lin more than anything was his composure during the entire thing.

The dude responded and played like a great vet would, and not just any great vet but a hall of fame vet. That type of shit is rare.

I don't think he'll consistently put up those great numbers, but he won't suck either, and he'll give us some great games from time to time, at least enough good games to keep himself from being a memory.

Sure teams will adjust to him, players will do the same, but guess what? so will he. He'll also improve on his weaknesses, I don't see why people are so down on the kid as tho players can't improve. I also don't get the hate, he seems like a humble dude that took advantage of a situation like any of us would. As to his departure from the Knicks, who truly knows what went down? Do ya'll seriously think he orchestrated the entire situation without his manager having any input?

I wish him the best of luck, I'm sure he'll be a good player in the league.

9erempiree
07-18-2012, 03:09 AM
Don't have a problem with it because he wanted out by double-dipping the deal. Also, didn't his boy Landry get moved?

Do I think he deserved all that money? No.

Should people blame the Knicks by not matching? Nope, you don't do deals with a guy that double-dips you with another team.

Xiao Yao You
07-18-2012, 03:13 AM

Almost every game he plays will be on here. Only Kobe can compare!

MJ(Mean John)
07-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Isn't it pointless to include
"NY fan or not"

Because there's no other option.
You either are or are not a knick fan.

tomtucker
07-18-2012, 03:23 AM
never gonna watch the ****ing rockets with or without Lin or even Howard........:mad: ..........new york should have kept him....
not a knicks fan.........but i like to see melo, amare and Lin play ball.........

ripthekik
07-18-2012, 03:40 AM
never gonna watch the ****ing rockets with or without Lin or even Howard........:mad: ..........new york should have kept him....
not a knicks fan.........but i like to see melo, amare and Lin play ball.........
You wouldn't have.
You would have seen Lin brought the ball up, pass it to Melo. Melo holds the ball for 3 seconds, jab step, then shoots it. All game long.

LakersReign
07-18-2012, 03:41 AM
My view: he was very, very, appreciated here in NY by the majority of the fans and players. He was easily marketed not just by his performances but by his race. He played with

Heart
Passion
Energy
Love

He gave it his 100 on the court. He was real bad his first time playing, I'm not talking about when he started. He was amazing when he became a starter.

But let's talk about why he left and how. I don't care that he left, I care that he did his part and did what any one of us may have done, cash and pushing his value worth.

There's rumors going around he got an offer sheet from Houston, comes back to NY, NY agrees to match, and he goes back to Houston, upgrades his contract.

There's also rumors going around Dolan was pissed about that, thus not resigning because of that and tax.

But beside the fact he left, he joins the team that cuts him, and the team that cuts him throws a big contract at him. Has this ever happened before? What are your thoughts?

The whole "Linsanity" thing was a bunch of media hype, nothing more. If it was more than that, NY would've tried harder to keep him.

AlonzoGOAT
07-18-2012, 03:45 AM
The whole "Linsanity" thing was a bunch of media hype, nothing more. If it was more than that, NY would've tried harder to keep him.

Because Dolan has always been great GM with great decision making.

JtotheIzzo
07-18-2012, 03:53 AM
It was dumb, briefly I was sucked into the value of Felton and the logic that line of reasoning offers, but NYK has never been shy about throwing money around, why stop now?

Lin is their most popular player and makes the Knicks must see TV for almost 1/4 of the globe, not just NYC.

He is far and away the biggest male role model since Bruce Lee to 1.4 billion Chinese and Taiwanese, and there are more than 400,000 of them living in NYC (a greater population than the metro area of a lot of small market teams).

The $35 million extra tax would EASILY be absorbed by TV rights in Asia, merchandise, tours etc... Imagine the Knicks opening the season with games in Taipei and Shanghai, that would be as big as the world cup, check that, probably bigger, I know because I am in both those countries a lot and see the grass roots effect he has had, cab drivers with his picture hanging from the rearview, old ladies talking about him, 'New York 17' tee-shirt jerseys packing every crosswalk.

Maybe his injury has limited him and the Knicks are smart, but I doubt that, goes against their track record, in reality they are dumb and made an historically dumb decision.

elle ohh effin elle.

MJ(Mean John)
07-18-2012, 04:20 AM
It was dumb, briefly I was sucked into the value of Felton and the logic that line of reasoning offers, but NYK has never been shy about throwing money around, why stop now?

Lin is their most popular player and makes the Knicks must see TV for almost 1/4 of the globe, not just NYC.

He is far and away the biggest male role model since Bruce Lee to 1.4 billion Chinese and Taiwanese, and there are more than 400,000 of them living in NYC (a greater population than the metro area of a lot of small market teams).

The $35 million extra tax would EASILY be absorbed by TV rights in Asia, merchandise, tours etc... Imagine the Knicks opening the season with games in Taipei and Shanghai, that would be as big as the world cup, check that, probably bigger, I know because I am in both those countries a lot and see the grass roots effect he has had, cab drivers with his picture hanging from the rearview, old ladies talking about him, 'New York 17' tee-shirt jerseys packing every crosswalk.

Maybe his injury has limited him and the Knicks are smart, but I doubt that, goes against their track record, in reality they are dumb and made an historically dumb decision.

elle ohh effin elle.

Knicks should hire you brother

Phantom_Blue
07-18-2012, 04:32 AM
As a basketball fan, I'd much rather Lin start off fresh in a new organization where he can grow with a young nucleus, as opposed to the trio of boneheads on the Knicks.

Clutch
07-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Lin only wanted the money,he actually wanted it so much that he back stabbed the Knicks by renegotiating the offer sheet with the Rockets.

Bye bye Lin,I won't miss you.

Scoooter
07-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Personally I think Amare is a black hole.
All seven or eight shots he takes a game, huh?

Scoooter
07-18-2012, 05:23 AM
The problem isn't so much Lin leaving as it is how his leaving is emblematic of the continued ineptitude that currently defines the franchise and will keep the Knicks from seriously contending for the duration of James Dolan's tenure as owner (and unfortunately for us Knicks fans, he isn't exactly Al Davis old either).

Y2Gezee
07-18-2012, 06:14 AM
The way I see it, the only party that really lost out was Jeremy Lin himself.

Jeremy Lin was set to pickup a pretty decent payday in his 3rd year that the Knicks would've matched and was going to get that same pay day in year 4. He would've gotten more hype, more endorsements, more publicity playing for the Knicks that would've more than made up for the additional money he was offered in the 3yr/25mil deal, especially considering the Knicks are a competitive team and Houston is really down. Hell if he played well, I don't doubt he'd have had a Broadway play in his honor by the end of his deal. Jeremy is a fine talent, but very raw especially for the point guard position, and the Knicks brought in the perfect mentor for Jeremy Lin to develop under as a point guard in Jason Kidd. Which is an opportunity missed that I'm sure he'll regret as time goes on.

I don't think Houston made any mistake. They got, what I'm sure will be a pretty good player in Lin. Jeremy has fine qualities in that he can get into the paint and make things happen, has great composure also in big moments. He will also re-open the Asian market to Houston. He still has a lot to learn about not only playing in the NBA, but his position; and Jeremy Lin's ceiling is a poor man's Tony Parker, going to a team where the best player is Kevin Martin and after he goes there the best player will likely still be Kevin Martin.

With a PG rotation of Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton, the Knicks have a rather large improvement in what they had last year. I mean obviously it would be nice if Felton can show he could be closer to the point guard he was previously in New York and he comes into camp in shape, but even if all he provides is a steady 13 and 6-7assists, along with Kidd and the production and intangibles he provides the Knicks have a fine pg rotation.

Felton may not put up the numbers Lin puts up, but I have little doubt that Felton is a better POINT GUARD as in he knows where guys are supposed to be and can organize an offense aka run a play; bring the ball up court against the press; Can limit turnovers and play controlled while still pushing the pace, and better defend the position. Also in a complimentary role to Melo/Amare I think he fits that role better for this team than a Jeremy Lin who still is trying to find his role.

However, if I were a Knicks executive, I would've never allowed Jeremy to go without getting something in return. I would've signed him, playing him as a combo guard in rotation with Felton and Kidd and maybe traded him next summer. I believe the Knicks will really show if this is a good move or bad move in how they fix their 2 guard position, because they just allowed a strong opportunity to be versatile in the backcourt and add depth off the bench go by not signing Lin.

All Net
07-18-2012, 06:20 AM

:oldlol: Never know, he may surprise.

Faptastrophe
07-18-2012, 06:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/OBSyL.jpg

*Biggest facepalm ever*

Clutch
07-18-2012, 06:35 AM

*Biggest facepalm ever*

They are right.

Faptastrophe
07-18-2012, 06:37 AM
They are right.
:coleman: :coleman:
Where's the white text? Are you really one of those ignorant retards?

jbot
07-18-2012, 06:40 AM
meh. i wish him success but i think he should have stayed in ny. i kinda lean towards staying loyal.

Faptastrophe
07-18-2012, 06:43 AM
meh. i wish him success but i think he should have stayed in ny. i kinda lean towards staying loyal.
So you're one of those imbeciles that think he had a saying whether he'll stay in NY or not..

"How dare Lin go out and look for a contract.." after the Knicks wouldn't offer him one.

spiegel
07-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Wow what a bunch of idiots. Lin will shut those clowns up.

Clutch
07-18-2012, 06:50 AM
:coleman: :coleman:
Where's the white text? Are you really one of those ignorant retards?
I won't call Lin a traitor but he didn't want to play for the Knicks so I won't miss him. People here worship him like he's perfect but they are forgetting he's the one to blame for him leaving,even more than Dolan. He purposely put the Knicks in a tough position.

So yeah,I'll rather be mad at Lin than at Dolan. But I'm not mad at anyone,he chose the money over the Knicks and that's his decision. Bye bye.

Blue&Orange
07-18-2012, 07:27 AM
The not wanting to play when he could because he was only at %85 is also true, Baron Davis almost killed himself on the court because of him :lol

U just don't let Baron play more than 20 minutes, :oldlol:

Optimus Prime
07-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Kid was massively overrated. When he was new nobody knew how to play him. Once there was some game tape of him though teams shut him down fast.

Still the marketing $$$ ... :kobe:

pmj
07-18-2012, 07:43 AM
I don't understand why Knicks fans even care. He's just really not that good, and I don't see him having a high ceiling either. Knicks have had a pretty good off-season so far and they don't need more bloated contracts, good move to let him walk imo.

AK47DR91
07-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Lin only wanted the money,he actually wanted it so much that he back stabbed the Knicks by renegotiating the offer sheet with the Rockets.

Bye bye Lin,I won't miss you.
You honestly think it was all about the money for Lin. Did you know he signed two multi-million dollar deals in late February? Oh yeah, he is so desperate for that $14.8M in 2014-15.

If you want to call him selfish then the better reason would be that he wanted to be a top 2 player on his team.

unknowns8
07-18-2012, 07:44 AM
i cant wait to hear chinese fans say "ha-ooz-ten loggets" again at work, it's hilarious shit :lol :lol :lol :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Draz
07-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Man that twitter feeds hilarious keep me coming lol

unknowns8
07-18-2012, 07:50 AM
i wasn't too fussed about Lin one way or the other, but then I read the replies to Lins facebook post thanking NYC and the Knicks fans and I'm like :facepalm

the hypocrisy and irony in NYK fans being upset coz someone left their team for more money is truly amazing

ILLsmak
07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
lol @ twitter/fb. The way I feel is that if someone says some shit like that and they have their name that they should really go after them in some way. Calling someone a sell out ***** is worthy of a fine, I think.

People say O FREE SPEECH. That's not even it. That's clearly some butthurt fan who needs to learn to get over it.

As for them not matching Lin's offer... sodum.

-Smak

Shepseskaf
07-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Way too much hyperbole around the kid, and around this decision. Had Linsanity lasted for an entire season -- or even half a season -- I could understand the support he's getting.

The sample size is simply too small to justify giving him that kind of contract and creating a toxic locker room.

AK47DR91
07-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Way too much hyperbole around the kid, and around this decision. Had Linsanity lasted for an entire season -- or even half a season -- I could understand the support he's getting.

The sample size is simply too small to justify giving him that kind of contract and creating a toxic locker room.
Go in this thread http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271707

Da KO King
07-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Glad the team didn't match the contract.

Makes no sense to give top 20 overall player in the league salary to a guy that won't even be top 10 at his position.

LakersForlife
07-18-2012, 08:16 AM
whats wrong with amare and melo..
oh nash is not in ny and karl also.
amare is just like chris humphries and melo is like j.r. smith what a chucker

Da KO King
07-18-2012, 08:18 AM
I also think it is goddam ridiculous that people gloss over how Lin and his agent got the contract. If ANY other player did that sports media would absolutely be killing them. Why is Lin getting a pass?

Shepseskaf
07-18-2012, 08:23 AM
I also think it is goddam ridiculous that people gloss over how Lin and his agent got the contract. If ANY other player did that sports media would absolutely be killing them. Why is Lin getting a pass?
Completely agreed. Lin has this "innocent", "humble" image, that isn't justified, imo.

We'll see what happens in Houston. I think there's some diva lurking there, waiting to come out.

SilkkTheShocker
07-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Got tired of the Lin hype, but NYC is absolutely dumb for not matching. This is why the Knicks are such a dogshit franchise.

07-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Glad he's gone. I hate having to cheer for the Knicks.

As an asian player, Lin should be the new yao or chinese rep in the NBA.

wagexslave
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
My reaction: LOLKNICKS

TonyD
07-18-2012, 09:23 AM
So with Lin in the west now and DRose injured I guess it's between Rondo and DWill for that All Star starting position via fan vote.

niko
07-18-2012, 09:47 AM
THIS. Thank you.

I don't think the NY front office handled this particularly well, and the fact they let him go showed that (as always) they have no coherent plan or thought process. But Lin was not an innocent bystander fighting to return.

Clutch
07-18-2012, 09:49 AM
You honestly think it was all about the money for Lin. Did you know he signed two multi-million dollar deals in late February? Oh yeah, he is so desperate for that $14.8M in 2014-15.

If you want to call him selfish then the better reason would be that he wanted to be a top 2 player on his team.
Yeah,it was mostly about the money. He signed the offer sheet with the Rockets. Once he got confirmation from the Knicks that they will definitely match he had gone back to the Rockets and signed a new offer sheet that will get him more money and it's structured so the Knicks have a hard time matching it. Lin wanted the money,Houston wanted Linsanity. Both sides did everything to get what they want.

I don't blame Dolan one bit for not matching. I would have probably done the same.

SCREWstonRockets
07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
^^^All this talk about Lin restructuring the deal is FALSE. The rockets were the one that did it. They just lost all their PGs and after hearing the Knicks would match anything, they needed to do something that would give them more of a chance to keep Lin.

And what happened to matching up to a billion dollars? So much for all that big bank talk....

Sarcastic
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
I hope this ends the "players only want to play in big markets" talk.

Players play where the money is. End of story.

Bigsmoke
07-18-2012, 10:06 AM
i swear why should i have a reaction on a players thats so average?

niko
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
^^^All this talk about Lin restructuring the deal is FALSE. The rockets were the one that did it. They just lost all their PGs and after hearing the Knicks would match anything, they needed to do something that would give them more of a chance to keep Lin.

And what happened to matching up to a billion dollars? So much for all that big bank talk....
It couldn't be redone without Lin. He didn't do anything wrong. But he did make a money grab. If someone like JR Smith did the same thing he'd be called a typical greedy NBA "thug". Poor Lin though, he had no choice.

If you don't believe that you are not paying attention.

Clutch
07-18-2012, 10:14 AM
It couldn't be redone without Lin. He didn't do anything wrong. But he did make a money grab. If someone like JR Smith did the same thing he'd be called a typical greedy NBA "thug". Poor Lin though, he had no choice.

this :applause:

SCREWstonRockets
07-18-2012, 10:26 AM

:oldlol: Have you seen his facebook? He's being called worse things than a "thug". And the NY media like Screamin A have been ripping him a new asshole. Someone act like he's not getting any backlash at all. He's getting it pretty harsh. If JR Smkth did this, nobody would care as much.

niko
07-18-2012, 10:29 AM
:oldlol: Have you seen his facebook? He's being called worse things than a "thug". And the NY media like Screamin A have been ripping him a new asshole. Someone act like he's not getting any backlash at all. He's getting it pretty harsh. If JR Smkth did this, nobody would care as much.

It's internet trolls. Facebook morons. Every player gets those all the time. We are discussing media reaction. You're comparing media reaction to butthurt trolls on the internet.

Every bad game players have they get racist comments, etc. That stuff is common. It's borderline retarded but it's all the time. YOu are just seeking it out so you are surprised.

IGOTGAME
07-18-2012, 10:30 AM
The only reason I think Lin went to Houston is because he is a selfish player. He would rather be ball dominant then try to fit his talents around others. He is who i thought he was.

bluechox2
07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
The only reason I think Lin went to Houston is because he is a selfish player. He would rather be ball dominant then try to fit his talents around others. He is who i thought he was.

for a player to have the balls to go back to a team that cut you :facepalm

at least show some dignity

IGOTGAME
07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
for a player to have the balls to go back to a team that cut you :facepalm

at least show some dignity
He only knows how to play one limited way. Houston prob promised him we are gonna let you run off 1000 ball screens and do whatever. Lin never wanted to come back to NY. Loyality is not in that guys DNA.

Reverend Hoops
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Houston will give him the keys to the franchise, and he is just not good enough for that.

Jax
07-18-2012, 10:49 AM
http://blogs.bet.com/entertainment/spotlight/bet-blog/assets/2009/09/lil-mama-jay-z-300x300-2009-09-15.jpg

07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
He only knows how to play one limited way. Houston prob promised him we are gonna let you run off 1000 ball screens and do whatever. Lin never wanted to come back to NY. Loyality is not in that guys DNA.

Did it matter what he did, the reaction would've been similar if he stayed.

I could see some fans saying things like "move out of NY, Melo and Amare are ball hogs...come out and play for [fill in team who plays PnR]...you will be a star there"

Blue&Orange
07-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Fret not Knicks fans, unlike Lin, Brazzers isn't going anywhere

http://www.cavemancircus.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2012/june/brazzers_logo/brazzers_logo_pictures_18.jpg

TheFastOne
07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Just think about the revenues.

lakers87
07-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Linsanity was created by a perfect storm that involved a novelty (Asian guard), big NY media, struggling team (Knicks), and Jeremy Lin playing out of his mind in those games.

To question whether or not he could sustain that type of success is a fair and valid question and something that should be answered once the season starts. I do believe that he has a strong work ethic and will be a hit with the Rockets, maybe not a top 10 pg just yet, but who's to say that he can't work on his deficiencies as a pg in the next couple of seasons.

I can't fault the guy for taking that offer. Rockets are paying for the opportunity that he will continue to develop and the ability to tap into a familiar territory in Asia and continue what they built with Yao.

In the NBA, you never know what can happen, especially Lin, who people have so many doubts about. Ability to make $25M over three years, will basically set him up for life. Knicks screwed up by having the market set his price, when they should have thrown the first offer at him, which I believe he would have signed.

Da KO King
07-18-2012, 12:44 PM
I hope this ends the "players only want to play in big markets" talk.

Players play where the money is. End of story.
Houston is a top 10 media market.

Da KO King
07-18-2012, 12:56 PM
To question whether or not he could sustain that type of success is a fair and valid question and something that should be answered once the season starts. I do believe that he has a strong work ethic and will be a hit with the Rockets, maybe not a top 10 pg just yet, but who's to say that he can't work on his deficiencies as a pg in the next couple of seasons.

The stupidity of the signing is in two seasons he will have a contract that says "Jeremy Lin is one of the 20 best players in the NBA", while in reality barring an injury or legal issues for multiple players Lin will not even be a top 10 PG.

In two seasons all the following PGs will still be better than Lin: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Russell Westbrook, and Kryie Irving.

In two seasons the following PGs will likely be better (some would argue they are better now: Kyle Lowry, Ricky Rubio, Darren Collison, Jrue Holliday, Goran Dragic

Crown&Coke
07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Im glad he got paid by someone, NBA players shelf life is 5 minutes. get your loot while the loot is there to get, that goes for the Ammo's of the world too, it aint my money they getting.

would have rather him stayed with NYK, Knicks fans here can be horrible at times, but there are many Knicks fans who are genuinely terrific NBA fans. And I think Houston will suck major ass. And I think teams will blitz the shit out of Lin now, just like Miami did and he had like 10 TO's. Who he gonna pass to? Martin? one of the rookies?

I understand Dolan's POV, but he would have had 2 years to deal him or clear some space to lessen the luxury tax hit, even if it would have been compounded by year 3 due to the multiple offender stuff they put in the new CBA. And he never complained about the tax before, when 50million worth was sitting in suits, and not because of injury, because they sucked

Nevaeh
07-18-2012, 01:20 PM

"Loyalty" cuts both ways though. Had the Knicks been "loyal" to Lin, they would have offered him a contract first and not let him test the market. They were probably assuming Lin would only get "Nickle and Dime" offers that they could easily match, but that line of thinking backfired big time.

The Rockets saw an opportunity to rack up a lot of revenue with Lin, so they took a chance. "Player only" fans will go where the player goes (look at Lebron) regardless of the team, and the Rockets knew this.

Draz
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
He's a good player. Teams are still learning to play defense on him and apply pressure, with that said and done he cannot handle it. I see Felton doing a decent job at his role, and probably even better under pressure. He was good for us before, Lin was a gamble, we didn't see him in the post season so like someone said before. The Knicks either made the dumbest move ever, or escaped a near death contract and gambled with their future.

Fiasco
07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
He's a good player. Teams are still learning to play defense on him and apply pressure, with that said and done he cannot handle it. I see Felton doing a decent job at his role, and probably even better under pressure. He was good for us before, Lin was a gamble, we didn't see him in the post season so like someone said before. The Knicks either made the dumbest move ever, or escaped a near death contract and gambled with their future.

$5 million for the first 2 years is a near death contract? :roll:

AK47DR91
07-18-2012, 02:31 PM
$5 million for the first 2 years is a near death contract? :roll:
The $14.8 in the 3rd year isn't even that bad when you reconsider what they have on their roster.

By summer before 2014-15 season, the Knicks will already have $24.5 million on Amare(32 y/o), $24.5 million on Melo(30 y/o) and $14.5 on Chandler(32 y/o). ALL EXPIRING contracts.

The Knicks are worrying about Lin's $14.8M on the 3rd year AS IF they're building this team for the future. 3 of their highest paid players will be 30 to 32 years old by then. This team was built for the NOW and the next 2 to 3 seasons. They will not make it to the 3rd season together if they don't get past the 1st Round.

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 02:45 PM
The $14.8 in the 3rd year isn't even that bad when you reconsider what they have on their roster.

By summer before 2014-15 season, the Knicks will already have $24.5 million on Amare(32 y/o), $24.5 million on Melo(30 y/o) and $14.5 on Chandler(32 y/o). ALL EXPIRING contracts.

The Knicks are worrying about Lin's $14.8M on the 3rd year AS IF they're building this team for the future. 3 of their highest paid players will be 30 to 32 years old by then. This team was built for the NOW and the next 2 to 3 seasons. They will not make it to the 3rd season together if they don't get past the 1st Round.
The problem is that with the punitive 3.5 to 1 tax, singing Lin to that dumb contract will actually cost the Knicks almost $60 million to have Lin for that 1 season, not $14.8. No way in hell is Jeremy Lin worth paying $60 million in contract + taxes.

bmulls
07-18-2012, 02:48 PM
The problem is that with the punitive 3.5 to 1 tax, singing Lin to that dumb contract will actually cost the Knicks almost $60 million to have Lin for that 1 season, not $14.8. No way in hell is Jeremy Lin worth paying $60 million in contract + taxes.

MSG has already lost $90 million, I'd say he's worth the extra $45 :lol

Nash
07-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Its sad, I feel sorry for him. Its not easy leaving being the IT guy in the best city in the world.

AK47DR91
07-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Would that $60 million hit the Knicks' salary caps to a point where they cannot sign any free agents in summer of 2015?

If yes, OK. It was a good move by the Knicks. If no, then it was a terrible move by the Knicks not matching it.

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 03:11 PM
MSG has already lost $90 million, I'd say he's worth the extra $45 :lol
Big deal. They lost $90 million in imaginary value that nobody was gonna cash in on anyway.

2 years from now, Lin's contract is gonna be a complete joke and everybody will look back and say NYK made the right move.

Clove21
07-18-2012, 03:14 PM
That FB page pic was good. Seeing what morons Knick fans are has given me a new most hated team. And good for me, since there is nothing better than to have your most hated team be awful.

I'll enjoy every Knicks loss this season.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Phantom_Blue
07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Big deal. They lost $90 million in imaginary value that nobody was gonna cash in on anyway.

2 years from now, Lin's contract is gonna be a complete joke and everybody will look back and say NYK made the right move.

It doesn't matter for the Rockets because the cap hit is 8/8/8.

ripthekik
07-18-2012, 03:20 PM

imaginary value :roll: :roll: :roll:
wow you're dumb as shiit.. I thought pauk and lebron23 was it, but now you're something..

I guess the european economics was all imaginary value too? Stock markets are all imaginary value all over the world too right? :lol

AK47DR91
07-18-2012, 03:20 PM
That FB page pic was good. Seeing what morons Knick fans are has given me a new most hated team. And good for me, since there is nothing better than to have your most hated team be awful.

I'll enjoy every Knicks loss this season.
:lol :lol :lol :lol
I read those FB comments, and there were only about 1 in every 10 comments that was disparaging towards Lin. It's a small minority of Knicks fans.

Every team have dumb fans, so let's not judge an entire fanbase on a few dumb asses.

niko
07-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I read those FB comments, and there were only about 1 in every 10 comments that was disparaging towards Lin. It's a small minority of Knicks fans.

Every team have dumb fans, so let's not judge an entire fanbase on a few dumb asses.
Also, people use these things as an opportunity to vent racist things. If you ever see a Yahoo story, a youtube video, etc. there are never a lack of people posting racist and stupid trolling comments. People are trying to post this as a unique occurance due to Knick fans. That's really unfair and honestly - people who think that is this your first day on the internet?

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Why exactly did the Rockets even want Lin so badly?

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 03:26 PM
imaginary value :roll: :roll: :roll:
wow you're dumb as shiit.. I thought pauk and lebron23 was it, but now you're something..

I guess the european economics was all imaginary value too? Stock markets are all imaginary value all over the world too right? :lol
Somebody doesn't understand the difference between the actual stock market and a single publicly traded corporation. :facepalm

What exactly is "the European economics"? Be specific. I wouldn't mind humilliated someone right now.

AK47DR91
07-18-2012, 03:29 PM
If you want basketball reasons, well, their starting point guard would have been either Toney Douglas or Courtney Fortson.

ripthekik
07-18-2012, 03:31 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm Ok, let's try this one.
Without even talking about basketball.

He brings in merchandise profit for the team, fills up the seats, and increases TV ratings by a shiit-ton. What does tv ratings do? They get ads that pay them a shiit ton. They get tv deals from foreign countries that want to broadcast rocket games live. The rockets get business deals with chinese corporations- these have already happened during the yao era. Players within the rockets also get their own deals and exposure- e.g. Shane Battier with a chinese shoe line.

And i haven't even scratched the surface.
So yeah.. Why do the rockets even want Lin?
if you can't even understand the marketing aspect of it.. then yea.. :facepalm

PejaNowitzki
07-18-2012, 03:40 PM

:facepalm :facepalm

Bitch are you retarded? :oldlol:

People have been explaining the same thing to you over and over and you still don't seem to grasp why Lin provides a huge marketing and financial advantage for a franchise, you sound like you spent many years riding the short yellow bus around town.

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 03:43 PM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm Ok, let's try this one.
Without even talking about basketball.

He brings in merchandise profit for the team, fills up the seats, and increases TV ratings by a shiit-ton. What does tv ratings do? They get ads that pay them a shiit ton.
Here's where we differ. If you believe that the Lin hype continues, then you're absolutely right. The difference is that I don't think it will.

It all depends on whether his hype continues or fades away.

They get tv deals from foreign countries that want to broadcast rocket games live. The rockets get business deals with chinese corporations- these have already happened during the yao era.
I would imagine that they would already have Chinese TV deals in place, but I'm just guessing. I have no idea. Maybe they don't. If they already do, it really wouldn't matter at all unless the contract is up within the next couple years.

Anyways, I don't know because I'm not Chinese or from China, but I'm not really sure that China would be all that interested in Jeremy Lin. He's not really Chinese. He's an American kid. Even if it would just be his ethnicity, isn't he actually Taiwanese?

If he is Taiwanese, well, then that's a whole different story. There's a BIG deference between the "Republic of China" and "The People's Republic of China". With all the politicol tensions between China and Taiwan, I'm not sure "The People's Republic of China" would be all that interested in an American born Taiwanese player.

ripthekik
07-18-2012, 03:57 PM
:facepalm :facepalm
Bitch are you retarded? :oldlol:
People have been explaining the same thing to you over and over and you still don't seem to grasp why Lin provides a huge marketing and financial advantage for a franchise, you sound like you spent many years riding the short yellow bus around town.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Here's where we differ. If you believe that the Lin hype continues, then you're absolutely right. The difference is that I don't think it will.

It all depends on whether his hype continues or fades away.

I would imagine that they would already have Chinese TV deals in place, but I'm just guessing. I have no idea. Maybe they don't. If they already do, it really wouldn't matter at all unless the contract is up within the next couple years.

Anyways, I don't know because I'm not Chinese or from China, but I'm not really sure that China would be all that interested in Jeremy Lin. He's not really Chinese. He's an American kid. Even if it would just be his ethnicity, isn't he actually Taiwanese?

If he is Taiwanese, well, then that's a whole different story. There's a BIG deference between the "Republic of China" and "The People's Republic of China". With all the politicol tensions between China and Taiwan, I'm not sure "The People's Republic of China" would be all that interested in an American born Taiwanese player.
A couple of things

-He doesn't need to keep up Linsanity level. Just by joining the rockets, foreign media are already lining up and trying to fit big rocket games into their schedules. Don't you see how economics work? MSG's stock has already dropped. The Rockets gear will start kicking as soon as he signs the paper. We don't need a 2 month assessment to see if He's still linsanity or not.
-During the Yao years, the top 2 teams shown abroad was Lakers and Rockets. Any surprise here?
-Yes, I understand the difference between China and Taiwan, and that Jeremy is actually American.

The thing is- Taiwan regards him as their pride. His parents are from Taiwan, and they show his NBA news all over taiwan. He's probably the top 3 most popular player in Taiwan right now.

China? They regard Taiwan as their own. They probably regard Lin as a Chinese too. Even if not, they'll still cheer for him and accept him just because he has chinese blood.

Anyways, I didn't put a lot of effort into typing that as it's just not worth it. It's really easy to look up info to see the linsanity effect in China, taiwan, asia last season so I won't bother.
Those are FACTS and Numbers that have been proven. If you still refuse to see them, I won't bother.

Shepseskaf
07-18-2012, 05:15 PM
-He doesn't need to keep up Linsanity level. Just by joining the rockets, foreign media are already lining up and trying to fit big rocket games into their schedules. Don't you see how economics work? MSG's stock has already dropped. The Rockets gear will start kicking as soon as he signs the paper. We don't need a 2 month assessment to see if He's still linsanity or not.
-During the Yao years, the top 2 teams shown abroad was Lakers and Rockets. Any surprise here?
This is the first time I can remember it being openly stated that the value of a player as a marketing tool either topped or rivaled his value on the court.

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but its certainly interesting.

Yao was responsible for really opened up the Asian market, but he was a native Chinese. And he was unquestionably a better player than Lin.

Count me as skeptical that the residuals from Linsanity will automatically carry over to a new location. There are absolutely no guarantees that this will happen. He's going to have to be special on the court, or all the adulation will likely just go away.

If he's getting lit up nightly by all those quick Western Conf. guards and his turnover total is sky high, there'll be a problem in Houston.

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
I just can see China cheering for a Taiwanese player.

Lol. I seriously wouldn't even be surprised if China banned Rockets games because Lin is Taiwanese.

It's A VC3!!!
07-18-2012, 07:38 PM
The Rockets will still suck. Lin doesn't have Amare, Chandler, or Carmelo to misdirect opposing attention. Every opposing defense will be zeroed in on Lin. Linsanity is over.

boozehound
07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Also, people use these things as an opportunity to vent racist things. If you ever see a Yahoo story, a youtube video, etc. there are never a lack of people posting racist and stupid trolling comments. People are trying to post this as a unique occurance due to Knick fans. That's really unfair and honestly - people who think that is this your first day on the internet?
I have never seen anyone call lebron a dumb ****** for leaving the cavs, etc. clearly there is a racial dimension to this story that is not the case with white and black nba ballers.

and John H pretty much sums up my POV. letting these two guys walk doesnt give them any financial flexibility moving forwards, so why not try and build with young talent you can add?
now, they are still in tax territory and dont have any decent young backcourt players.

John Hollinger on the Knicks (Insider): "By not keeping Lin and Fields, the Knicks have essentially yanked a half-baked cake out of the oven. They're over the luxury tax with no starting-caliber backcourt players and an uneasy Amare-Melo alliance up front. If they're trying to go 44-38 and still pay tax each of the next three years, they're off to a great start."

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 07:49 PM
You guys are acting like the Knicks just let Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo go. It's Jeremy Lin. This dude was gonna be 40 year old Jason Kidd's backup. This is about as devastating as the Lakers losing Ramon Sessions.

ripthekik
07-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I just can see China cheering for a Taiwanese player.

Lol. I seriously wouldn't even be surprised if China banned Rockets games because Lin is Taiwanese.
STFU fool.. you've shown yourself to be a dumbass too many times today.. here's the last time I will educate ur ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVY-4LDhjqE
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/evanosnos/2012/02/china-catches-linfengkuang.html

Any athlete of Chinese descent who reaches the pros in America draws some attention in China, but nothing compared to the sensation that Lin has sparked on the mainland in the last two weeks. Never mind his two hundred thousand followers on Twitter; on the Chinese version, he already has three-quarters of a million. Last week, Lin rocketed to the number-one most searched item on Baidu, the Chinese search engine.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/evanosnos/2012/02/china-catches-linfengkuang.html#ixzz211NkRNn8

LelBron
07-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Your reaction to Lin leaving NY

http://i.imgur.com/l0yYX.jpg

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 07:59 PM
here's the last time I will educate ur ass
When was the first time? :confusedshrug:

ripthekik
07-18-2012, 08:03 PM
When was the first time? :confusedshrug:
you dumbass got exposed on the previous page.

this alone makes you the dumbest poster of the night
maybe it's time you think about going back to school son

NumberSix
07-18-2012, 09:16 PM
you dumbass got exposed on the previous page.

this alone makes you the dumbest poster of the night
maybe it's time you think about going back to school son
http://blogs.trb.com/features/family/parenting/blog/minime.jpg

kobesabi
07-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Heart
Energy
Love
Passion

= H E L P

Dolan just making excuses to cut Lin...every players in NBA explore their salary option. Is it really wrong to explore option? How come he don't complain when others explored theirs...such as Marbury dude. I think he already pre-meditate the decision to cut Lin already and just want to use "betrayal" as a public excuse to make Lin feel guilty rather than admit I don't want to pay the asian rookie $30M

tmacattack33
07-18-2012, 10:23 PM
I am disappointed.

But I am happy for the Brooklyn Nets as they now have a good shot to gain some New York fans.

Draz
07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
I am disappointed.

But I am happy for the Brooklyn Nets as they now have a good shot to gain some New York fans.

Is that wrong? Their apart of New York now. I mean.. seriously? If somehow the Nets went to the playoffs and weren't eliminated while the Knicks are, I'll root for the NY team still in.

ashlar
07-18-2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-KDhYjgMlY

TheBigVeto
07-18-2012, 10:31 PM
They are racists.

FTFY

Kiddlovesnets
07-19-2012, 12:44 AM
1. Wow Houston... Cant live without an Asian tickets seller.
2. Lin got such a huge contract for his true value, shouldnt have had more than $4M/year.
3. The Knicks actually made a wise move in FA, something yet to happen since 21st century.

schism206
07-19-2012, 12:50 AM
1. Wow Houston... Cant live without an Asian tickets seller.
2. Lin got such a huge contract for his true value, shouldnt have had more than $4M/year.
3. The Knicks actually made a wise move in FA, something yet to happen since 21st century.
Agreed, he isn't proven enough for that contact. Someone said it on ISH in another Lin thread, Brandon Jennings had a great stretch a few years back, and everyone called him the next Allen Iverson... haven't heard much about him since his 50pt game. Once Lin became a target, and wasn't under the radar anymore, I don't think he played all that well to be honest. In fact, the Heat made him look silly to end the "Linsanity" run.