PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard=Most OVERRATED player in the NBA

eliteballer
01-22-2007, 08:36 PM
People talk about this guy being top 15 and the best C in the game and nonsense like that. He's averaging:

17 pts
12.5 reb
1.7 ast
1.9 blk

To put this into perspective for some of you, Pau Gasol last year averaged:

20.4 ppg
8.9 rpg
4.6 ast
1.9 blk

I mean sh!t, why is everyone annointing this guy a superstar when he hasn't actually DONE IT YET.

BFRESH44
01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
This diffrence is Dwight Howard is only a 3rd year player straight outta of High School in comparison to those numbers being Pau's 5th year..

Pau's 3rd year: 17ppg 7rpg 2.5 apf 1.7 block

Dwight is still devoloping as a player..

Thread failure...

Kblaze8855
01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
I put him on a list of 17 players that I later expanded to 23 clearly not in any particular order(I didnt mention Kobe till like #11). And I didnt call him the best center in the league either. Was just a list of people arguably as good or better than Gasol. He deserves mention.

eliteballer
01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
This diffrence is Dwight Howard is only a 3rd year player in comparisson to those numbers being Pau's 5th year..

Pau's 3rd year: 17ppg 7rpg 2.5 apf 1.7 block

Thread failure...

His AGE doesn't magically make him a better player RIGHT NOW. 2nd/3rd year LeBron is better than a 2nd threepeat Jordan just because he has similar numbers yet was much younger? Shut it.

eliteballer
01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I put him on a list of 17 players that I later expanded to 23 clearly not in any particular order(I didnt mention Kobe till like #11). And I didnt call him the best center in the league either. Was just a list of people arguably as good or better than Gasol. He deserves mention.

Isn't just you. Many put the guy on a pedestal he hasn't earned.

Jailblazers7
01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
I dont think it is that Dwight is overrated i just think Gasol is underrated. He hasnt been talked about much because of his injury, he plays for the Grizzlies which doesnt get him any exposure, and his style of play is much less, for lack of a better word, impressive than Dwight's. Dwight gets the huge dunks and 20/20 nights while Gasol is a much more consistent under the radar type of player.

hwliuLAP
01-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Dwight Averages 3.5 offensive rebounds out of those 12.5
which is Ben Wallace like numbers

He is also shooting a pretty good .565%
and IF Howard gets better at the foul line
he could average have a chance on averaging 20

also Dwight is getting better year by year
but Pau only had a break out year last year
his performance has all been about the same (which is still VERY productive)
but Pau is playing having his prime seasons

while Howard still isn't fully developed yet

BFRESH44
01-22-2007, 09:02 PM
His AGE doesn't magically make him a better player RIGHT NOW. 2nd/3rd year LeBron is better than a 2nd threepeat Jordan just because he has similar numbers yet was much younger? Shut it.

Misintepreted your thread. Didn't realize your were eluding to people annointing him NOW...

Still, it is infact arguable that he is as good/or better than Gasol right now IMO...

Gasol isn't on any dominant pedestal either..

Surely not much of a strong case in pointing out how Dwight is the most overrated player in the L...

ChuckOakley
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
He was also held to 1pt, 6 rebs, and 6 fouls against the Nets.

He may not be the most overrated player in the game, but I will say the Nets have the most underrated interior D in the game.

Look what they have done to Bosh, Dwight, Curry and others over the past couple of weeks, and really all season and prior seasons.. near the top in fewest points on the paint allowed for the past 3 years.

GOBB
01-22-2007, 10:14 PM
People talk about this guy being top 15 and the best C in the game and nonsense like that. He's averaging:

17 pts
12.5 reb
1.7 ast
1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
8.9 rpg
4.6 ast
1.9 blk

I mean sh!t, why is everyone annointing this guy a superstar when he hasn't actually DONE IT YET.

We'll see how much you have to say when Bynum starts producing. Gonna contradict yourself :confusedshrug:

allball
01-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I won't say he's overrated but the speculation that he will be the best big man or even player in the league is unwarranted. Yes he rebounds well but he doesnt hustle rebound. It's all size and athleticism plus he doesnt have any other real rebounders on his team. And even though he's still young, I don't see those Duncan like qualities yet. I think he can be an integral part of a championship team but I don't see him being the BEST player on a championship team.

Incidentally numbers are nice but I look at the player's game as a whole and when folks talk about DH they immediately bring up his numbers when most of those folks dont watch him play regularly.

To this point a slightly more athletic Horace Grant but without the mid-range shot and defensive footwork.

Lakers
01-22-2007, 10:22 PM

17 pts
12.5 reb
1.7 ast
1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
8.9 rpg
4.6 ast
1.9 blk

When it comes to big men I think you have to look beyond stats a little. Correct me if I am wrong but Orlando is one of the league's best team's on FG% AND opponent FG%, that's usually the sign of a dominant big man collapsing the defense so his teammates can get easier shots and presenting a defensive force on the other side's interior. Almost reminds me of the way the Lakers used to be tops(or near tops) in FG% and opponent FG% when Shaq was with us. You will find plenty of situations in the league where 2 players have similar stats but are obviously not even in the same league because of what they do for their own team and to the opposition. Both Kobe and Howard would be in these types of comparisons.

gb8
01-22-2007, 10:29 PM
This is exactly why numbers dont tell the whole story, Dwight has cery few plays called for him, where as pau was the offensive focal point of a decent memphis team. Dwight is a mutant in a league of freaks and his play is only going to improve and isnt exactly rubbish now.

WildStyle
01-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Slightly more athletic then Horace Grant? lol, wow. He doesn't have Horace's midrange game, but Horace had no post up game. Dwight has a post up game. It may be a little raw at this stage but it's there and getting better.

And to say Dwight doesn't have other rebounders on his team is overdoing it. Grant Hill, Tony Battie, Hedo Turkoglu and Darko Milicic are all capable rebounders. Not to mention Orlando plays one of the most slowed down games in the league, meaning there are less shots taken and less opertunites for rebounds.

jody
01-23-2007, 01:24 AM
no way, howard is good.

garnett is still the most overrated player. he can't be higher than number 6 or 7 in the league.

JMEWLS
01-23-2007, 01:27 AM

17 pts
12.5 reb
1.7 ast
1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
8.9 rpg
4.6 ast
1.9 blk

I cant believe what you just said, he's definitely a top 15 player, at worst a top 20player. I wouldn't say he's the top center but he's definitely a top 3 centre. He's arguably the best rebounder in the league, and he's only 21. Only thing he really needs to improve he's scoring game. He's yet to even live up to the expectations made by some, and is showing flashes of what he can potentially be. He's already a great defender, and rebounder he just needs to develope a consistent scoring game. I dunno what your saying, he's obviously one of the best centers in this league, and he can only keep getting better

qrich
01-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Dwights really being overhyped by the fans and the media, down the road, I think it might hurt me as if he listens to the hype, maybe it won't motivate him as he may think, "Oh everyone thinks I'm good enough so why try harder". People need to shut it, he's good, but he's not a top 5 PF in the league. Duncan, Brand, Nowitzki, Garnett and take your pick between Bosh, Boozer, Randolph and one can argue Emeka Okafor[averaging a double double along with 3 blocks per].

Penny37
01-23-2007, 01:28 AM
This is exactly why numbers dont tell the whole story, Dwight has cery few plays called for him, where as pau was the offensive focal point of a decent memphis team. Dwight is a mutant in a league of freaks and his play is only going to improve and isnt exactly rubbish now.
I completely agree.
Dwight doesn't get too many touches. Pau, on the other hand, is the focal point.

All of Dwight's baskets come from putbacks and lobs. If he can average 17ppg with the lack of post game he has now, imagine how good he'll be when he develops some good post moves.

JMEWLS
01-23-2007, 01:47 AM
I completely agree.
Dwight doesn't get too many touches. Pau, on the other hand, is the focal point.

All of Dwight's baskets come from putbacks and lobs. If he can average 17ppg with the lack of post game he has now, imagine how good he'll be when he develops some good post moves.

I agree, all he really needs to do if get a good scoring game and he's going to be a complete beast.

Vendetta
01-23-2007, 01:53 AM
If there's one thing that shouldn't be questioned about the kid it's his rebounding, and yet some people in this thread found a way to do so.

Amazing.

He is without a doubt the best rebounder in basketball. If he played on the Suns he'd be averaging over 15 per without a problem.

joewait
01-23-2007, 01:54 AM
lebron james is way more overrated than dwight howard

knickscity
01-23-2007, 01:57 AM
how many shots does DH get a game, 10? if you think he is OVERRated then how do you view Ben Wallace?

Serge
01-23-2007, 04:57 AM
You sir is an idiot no offense.

Dwight is a beast young will only get better.

JtotheIzzo
01-23-2007, 04:59 AM

17 pts
12.5 reb
1.7 ast
1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
8.9 rpg
4.6 ast
1.9 blk

eliteballer does not equal eliteposter.

If you are top three at your position it is pretty hard to be overated.

Especially when you are 20 and still filling out and have enormous potential which is starting to be realized.

JtotheIzzo
01-23-2007, 05:00 AM

you always get dissed and I could never figure out why (I guess I just glossed over your posts, never really read them). Now I know why.

wally_world
01-23-2007, 06:08 AM
bull sh*t

pau is kinda overrated though...

EricForman
01-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Not that I expect you to understand, Elite, but sometimes you gotta look beyond stats. For the same reason I always took Howard's side against the Bosh fans when they claimed Bosh to be superior last year-- Dwight Howard has the ridiculous upside that goes beyond his stats.

It's a fact the guy is built like a beast. His athletism is insane. Beside Lebron, there isn't a better physical speciment in the league. People aren't thinking Dwight is gonna be awesome based on 17 and 12. It's because at the age of 18, out of high school, he immediately fit in the league, banging with the vets, outmuscling people, dropped 20/20s at age 18.

If you go by pure stats, why was Lebron so hyped? His high school numbers pale in comparison to Al Jefferson (dude averaged like 40 and 13 with like 7 blocks). Because people saw Lebron in high school, they looked beyond his stats, they saw a guy 6 foot 7, built like a PF but with ball handling ability and court vision at the age of 17. That's what made every scout declare Lebron to be the best high school player in the country, not because of his stats.

Same logic applies to Dwight. I know numbers wise, he's not even on pace with last year's Chris Webber. But it's more than numbers, it's his combination of young age+signs of brilliance on some nights+rare physical specimen+incredible athletism.

If the NBA were to hold a draft right now with every NBA player available, Lebron probably goes #1, and Dwight goes no lower than 5 or 6. Probably higher.

kwajo
01-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Are there some people seriously claiming that Pau only gets 20ppg because he shoots a lot? Do you realize he shoots almost 60% from the field? He only takes good shots, and if anything he should be taking MORE shots to make his team better.

Pau is the king of efficiency, and Dwight is the king of rebounding.

Joey Zaza
01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Over/underrated threads are tough because it comes down to - who is overrating, what coluimn, article report, and what is the correct rating.

...but on point, they did a segment on Howard during one ESPN show (not sportscenter or espnnews) may have bee fastbreak - where they asked Kiki Vandweghe who Howard reminds him of from years past (reasonable question that analysts tryto answer all the time). Kiki answers:
Moses Malone
Karl Malone and
David Robinson.

So he is like 3 of the top 12 players of all time? Guys who have comined for 5(or 6) MVPs? That is overrating.

He was also held to 1pt, 6 rebs, and 6 fouls against the Nets.

He may not be the most overrated player in the game, but I will say the Nets have the most underrated interior D in the game.

Look what they have done to Bosh, Dwight, Curry and others over the past couple of weeks, and really all season and prior seasons.. near the top in fewest points on the paint allowed for the past 3 years.

co-signed. Absolute truth.

JohnnyBravo5
01-23-2007, 11:07 AM

17 pts
12.5 reb
1.7 ast
1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
8.9 rpg
4.6 ast
1.9 blk

Better than any of those stiffs playing center for the Lakers thats for sure.

wang4three
01-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Best player on a team that no one thought would make the playoffs. No, he's not overrated.

The_Truth
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Most definitley not a big D. Howard fan but to say this kid is the most overrated player in th NBA is beyond false... Hes got immense size for a guy his age, and hes still only a kid in essence... His defensive/rebounding ability is where he shines at most right now but with time his offensive skills will expand. Probably not to an equal extent of his defense but he'll definitley put up some quality numbers throughout his career... Regardless, IMO Howard will always be granted and respected for his defensive output on the floor... Bottom line, the dudes young... Give him time to mature

Done Deal....

RAPSCANWIN
01-23-2007, 01:37 PM
I won't say he's overrated but the speculation that he will be the best big man or even player in the league is unwarranted. Yes he rebounds well but he doesnt hustle rebound. It's all size and athleticism plus he doesnt have any other real rebounders on his team. And even though he's still young, I don't see those Duncan like qualities yet. I think he can be an integral part of a championship team but I don't see him being the BEST player on a championship team.

Incidentally numbers are nice but I look at the player's game as a whole and when folks talk about DH they immediately bring up his numbers when most of those folks dont watch him play regularly.

To this point a slightly more athletic Horace Grant but without the mid-range shot and defensive footwork.

I like your comparison to Horace Grant. Although I like Dwight Howard as a Player I do consider him Over-Rated big time. He may develop to be an Elite player, but I wouldnt put him there yet.

Vendetta
01-23-2007, 01:41 PM
I like your comparison to Horace Grant. Although I like Dwight Howard as a Player I do consider him Over-Rated big time. He may develop to be an Elite player, but I wouldnt put him there yet.

Dwight is nothing like Horace Grant. Absolutely nothing.

DreamRockets
01-23-2007, 02:05 PM

i agree 100%, the lebron james hype is ridiculous.

tontoz
01-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Howard is overrated but not the most overrated.

he has great size and athleticism but his basketball skills are average and haven't improved much. He can't shoot from outside 5 feet. His post game consists of trying to overpower or outquick defenders to get dunks. He turns it over way too much and can't shoot ft's at all.

I have seen people say he will be the next DRob but there is no chance of that.

bigdaddie
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Right now if you had to chose between Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol I think it no brainer its Howard. Any given nite he can go for 20+ boards like he did the other nite verses Golden State. He also in my opinion does more on defense than Pau. When there careers is over i don't think it will be close.

JMEWLS
01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Right now if you had to chose between Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol I think it no brainer its Howard. Any given nite he can go for 20+ boards like he did the other nite verses Golden State. He also in my opinion does more on defense than Pau. When there careers is over i don't think it will be close.
Close? i doubt it'll be close at all. Dwights almost putting up the same numbers as gasol (accept assists) and he's 21. It wont be the same at all.

eliteballer
01-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Wow, did you MAROONS even bother reading the first few posts? Dwight being young doesn't automatically give him "extra points" in terms of HOW GOOD HE ACTUALLY IS RIGHT NOW. Just because he COULD BE a great center center in the future doesn't mean he is NOW. Him being younger than Gasol doesn't automatically make him better NOW. Top 3 center:oldlol: So Dwight is automatically better than any 3 of Yao, Amare, Duncan, Shaq, Gasol, JO(Who's doing 19/10/3/3), Camby(Who's doing 12/13/3/3), Okafor(Who's doing 14/11/1/3)? You can't DEFINITIVELY SAY THAT.

Vendetta
01-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Wow, did you MAROONS even bother reading the first few posts? Dwight being young doesn't automatically give him "extra points" in terms of HOW GOOD HE ACTUALLY IS RIGHT NOW. Just because he COULD BE a great center center in the future doesn't mean he is NOW. Him being younger than Gasol doesn't automatically make him better NOW. Top 3 center:oldlol: So Dwight is automatically better than any 3 of Yao, Amare, Duncan, Shaq, Gasol, JO(Who's doing 19/10/3/3), Camby(Who's doing 12/13/3/3), Okafor(Who's doing 14/11/1/3)? You can't DEFINITIVELY SAY THAT.

He's definitely better than Camby & Okafor. And he's better than Amare.

He's not as good as Gasol, Duncan, Yao, Shaq or JO.

geeWiz15
01-24-2007, 01:24 AM
there's something to be said for having a guy who will snatch up every single rebound on defense, be large in the middle, and convert everytime he gets the ball in dunking range.

that is so huge to have in the NBA these days. he's not as good as Pau Gasol right now, no way, but he's definitely top, oh I dunno, 25.

JMEWLS
01-24-2007, 01:33 AM
there's something to be said for having a guy who will snatch up every single rebound on defense, be large in the middle, and convert everytime he gets the ball in dunking range.

that is so huge to have in the NBA these days. he's not as good as Pau Gasol right now, no way, but he's definitely top, oh I dunno, 25.
I would probably say AT LEAST, top 20.. easy

P-Forty21
01-24-2007, 02:05 AM
I would probably say AT LEAST, top 20.. easy

yeah if his team mates pass him the ball more:mad: :banghead:

WoGiTaLiA1
01-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Dwight still reminds me of a more athletic Kevin Willis. Even looks a bit like him.

That is not bad considering a prime Kevin Willis would be the 3rd best center in the league and it still remains to be seen how much Shaq has left.

JMEWLS
01-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Dwight still reminds me of a more athletic Kevin Willis. Even looks a bit like him.

That is not bad considering a prime Kevin Willis would be the 3rd best center in the league and it still remains to be seen how much Shaq has left.
LOL !! come to think about it he actually does look abit like kevin willis.

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/dwight_howard.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/kevin_willis.jpg
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kobe_6/8
07-25-2015, 10:14 PM

http://newnownext.mtvnimages.com/2015/04/oooh.gif