PDA

View Full Version : Steven A. just flat out called Lin a liar (for not playing at 85%)

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 12:37 PM
On national TV, ESPN (First Take).

This was what Steven A Smith accused Lin of lying about.

"Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin said. "And I had arguments with them about why I should." Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html#ixzz215Ro1wr6

Smith doesn't believe the veterans told Lin to not play at 85%.

Has he ever made slanderous remarks about a black player before? This is beyond calling somebody a scrub. Dude is slandering somebody's character. How can you say he doesn't have any racial hostility towards Lin?

Kblaze8855
07-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Its only slander if it isnt true. I know that Smith knows players on the Knicks. Knows people who know players.

Who am I to say what the people he know said to him?

He would know better than I would.

IGOTGAME
07-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Its only slander if it isnt true. I know that Smith knows players on the Knicks. Knows people who know players.

exactly my sentiments.

boozehound
07-19-2012, 12:42 PM
SAS is a loudmouth moron who has made a living being a bombastic idiot. Good for him.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Oh, yeah. It's really hard to believe that $20 million per year veterans persuade a kid who just stole their spotlight to sit out the playoffs.

SCREWstonRockets
07-19-2012, 12:43 PM
What?! I thought the media reaction was all positive :facepalm

"if JR Smith did this, they'd hang him" :lol

FireDavidKahn
07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
SAS =
http://blogs.hospitalmedicine.org/SHMPracticeManagementBlog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/crying1.jpg

niko
07-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I would not go to Steven A for his Lin perspective. He's (cough) not really a fan of his (cough cough hater cough).

Lin's explanation though recently was retarded though, no? I WAS 15% AWAY FROM THE ABILITY TO PLAY.

At the time i didn't care though, right now i don't care though. I just hate his bullshit spin now, he did not play because we were done and he didnt want to risk injury.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 12:45 PM

He openly said he didn't have any backup on his statement when Skip asked him if he knows anything.

Steven A backed off on his statement and said lying is too harsh so he said there has to be some fabrication to Lin's comments.

Still slanderous remarks. My question hasn't been answered. Has he ever made these kind of statement about any other players before? And yes, this is nothing like calling somebody a scrub. This is an attack on somebody's character.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I would not go to Steven A for his Lin perspective. He's (cough) not really a fan of his (cough cough hater cough).

Lin's explanation though recently was retarded though, no? I WAS 15% AWAY FROM THE ABILITY TO PLAY.

At the time i didn't care though, right now i don't care though. I just hate his bullshit spin now, he did not play because we were done and he didnt want to risk injury.
15% away from ability to play = 85% healthy...is that not? :confusedshrug:

niko
07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
He openly said he didn't have any backup on his statement when Skip asked him if he knows anything.

Steven A backed off on his statement and said lying is too harsh so he there has to be some fabrication to Lin's comments.

Still though. My question hasn't been answered. Has he ever made these kind of statement about any other players before? And yes, this is nothing like calling somebody a scrub. This is an attack on somebody's character.

He doesn't like a lot of players, he has. He is always like this, he hates on teams, etc. he does not like. He is a star groupie though. Loves Lebron, etc. all the big NBA core guys. If you are anti core guy, he hates you. Lin not only got attention and is not a star, but Melo got panned because of it.

This is nothing, Steven A spent literally hours hating on Lin during Linsanity. He'd talk about Penn State and jump back to a point to remind you all that Lin was overrated. On and on and on.

niko
07-19-2012, 12:50 PM
15% away from ability to play = 85% healthy...is that not? :confusedshrug:
Let me again point out i didnt need him to play, we were done, etc.

But if this is your team, and its playoffs, and Kevin Martin says IM 85% RIGHT NOW, you say - great go in and play. That doesn't sound like you are unable to play and are giving the % toward being able. Do we need to take everything Lin said and spun it good?

Lin said yesterday that Dolan told him not to play, every single Knick starter, plus his quote was misrepresnted. It's spin. I don't blame him and i didn't criticize him for not playing but jesus christ, do i have to believe it?

DKLaker
07-19-2012, 12:51 PM
SAS is a loudmouth moron who has made a living being a bombastic idiot. Good for him.

ESPN has murdered the art of journalism, encased it in concrete and lead weights and plunged it into the deepest ocean trench. They hire loud mouthed buffoon after buffoon....they don't care about facts or reality.

niko
07-19-2012, 12:52 PM
To me, i only like Steven A in small chunks when he is reporting actual news. When he is allowed to give his spin, he is just horrible. It's opinion, he hates hard on certain players, sucks up to others, and makes no bones about it. And he does not like Lin. He basically implies he is garbage.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
He doesn't like a lot of players, he has. He is always like this, he hates on teams, etc. he does not like. He is a star groupie though. Loves Lebron, etc. all the big NBA core guys. If you are anti core guy, he hates you. Lin not only got attention and is not a star, but Melo got panned because of it.

This is nothing, Steven A spent literally hours hating on Lin during Linsanity. He'd talk about Penn State and jump back to a point to remind you all that Lin was overrated. On and on and on.
Yeah, I know he has publicly bashed Lin's hype and playing ability. But I always heard him said good things about Lin as a person.

Now he's going overboard and making a personal attack that's not basketball related. If his true colors haven't already came, it just came out 30 minutes ago. What a piece of a shit of a human being!

Newspapers get sued for slander. People get fired for that shit.

wang4three
07-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Stephen A lives in a world where Jeremy Lin only did two things in his career:

1. Not play in the playoffs
2. Was eaten up by Mario Chalmers

Everything else, he dismisses. Rob Parker too. I don't think it's a race issue (well, sometimes he makes it about that), but overall I just think he doesn't like Jeremy.

I know Skip tries to champion Jeremy, but most of it is romanticized--like he does so well with LeBron, Tebow, etc.

The thing I hate so much about Stephen A Smith is that he uses prefaces that say one thing, then completely disregards it in his following statements.

Typical Stephen A Smith:

SAS: "Jeremy Lin can play, but he has no skills with the basketball. He has no left hand, his jump shot is suspect, he can't defend, and he's mentally weak!"

Other guy: "Yes, but he's young, and will get better. And those stretch of 25 games, he has shown flashes of upside, and distinct basketball knowledge and skill to prove he can be a player in the league. He also is a great revenue generator, which stems from his play."

SAS: I said he could play right?

Yes, technically, Stephen A, you said he can play. But you don't really mean that. Just because you acknowledge something as a preface, doesn't license you to go disregard it completely after it. Much like people who use "with all due respect," and then goes and to be completely disrespectful afterwards.

It's like me saying "I love NYC, but it smells, people are nasty, everything is over priced, there's a ton of crime, and everything about it is just makes it the most awful place in the world." Wait what? How does that work?

niko
07-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I know he has publicly bashed Lin's hype and playing ability. But I always heard him said good things about Lin as a person.

Now he's going overboard and making a personal attack that's not basketball related. If his true colors haven't already came, it just came out 30 minutes ago. What a piece of a shit of a human being!

I think Lin is a good person. BUT HE IS A FLAT OUT LIAR.

That is a Steven A type "i just said Lin is a good person".

NumberSix
07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Lin is a coward. He was absolutely terrified that the Heat would expose and humiliate him.

niko
07-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Stephen A lives in a world where Jeremy Lin only did two things in his career:

1. Not play in the playoffs
2. Was eaten up by Mario Chalmers

Everything else, he dismisses. Rob Parker too. I don't think it's a race issue (well, sometimes he makes it about that), but overall I just think he doesn't like Jeremy.

I know Skip tries to champion Jeremy, but most of it is romanticized--like he does so well with LeBron, Tebow, etc.

The thing I hate so much about Stephen A Smith is that he uses prefaces that say one thing, then completely disregards it in his following statements.

Typical Stephen A Smith:

SAS: "Jeremy Lin can play, but he has no skills with the basketball. He has no left hand, his jump shot is suspect, he can't defend, and he's mentally weak!"

Other guy: "Yes, but he's young, and will get better. And those stretch of 25 games, he has shown flashes of upside, and distinct basketball knowledge and skill to prove he can be a player in the league. He also is a great revenue generator, which stems from his play."

SAS: I said he could play right?

Yes, technically, Stephen A, you said he can play. But you don't really mean that. Just because you acknowledge something as a preface, doesn't license you to go disregard it completely after it. Much like people who use "with all due respect," and then goes and to be completely disrespectful afterwards.

It's like me saying "I love NYC, but it smells, people are nasty, everything is over priced, there's a ton of crime, and everything about it is just makes it the most awful place in the world." Wait what? How does that work?

Not sure if you are being facietious or not but that was basically the show yesterday. Other guy though is in love with Lin, and yet he is at least making points, Steven A is just bullying through and through, and he compares Lin to utter garbage players and says SEE? HES NOT A SCRUB? KWAME BROWN IS A SCRUB. LIN IS BETTER THAN THAT.

:lol See i like Lin, he's better than utter shit.

truhooper
07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
lin went out like a bitch by not suiting up

put your capes away & stop playing captain save a hoe :coleman:

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
"We didn't lose the second coming of Chris Paul here. Good bye, enjoy your $15 million." He just said that as the show ended.

:lol What an asshole!

wang4three
07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Not sure if you are being facietious or not but that was basically the show yesterday. Other guy though is in love with Lin, and yet he is at least making points, Steven A is just bullying through and through, and he compares Lin to utter garbage players and says SEE? HES NOT A SCRUB? KWAME BROWN IS A SCRUB. LIN IS BETTER THAN THAT.

:lol See i like Lin, he's better than utter shit.

Yeah, I catch it every so often cause at lunch time I'll eat in the break room and the guys will have First Take up and I'll watch part of it and be utterly disgusted by how SAS conducts himself.

Now he's not even a reporter. "I'm above that," as he would put it. He's so vain and elitist about how he dresses, how much "work" he has done in his career, or whatever. He sits on this pedestal and looks down upon everything as if he invented basketball.

Just cause you're not willing to hustle anymore, you've earned the license to be a arrogant and pompous? Who deemed him the arbiter of all things basketball? Give me a break. Guy probably couldn't even make it to his varsity team in high school.

Guy is a hypocrite and suck up. It's a sad day in sports history when I am agreeing with Skip Bayless over another sports "journalist".

Rob Parker, Stephen A Smith, Skip Bayless, where do they find these guys?

niko
07-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I catch it every so often cause at lunch time I'll eat in the break room and the guys will have First Take up and I'll watch part of it and be utterly disgusted by how SAS conducts himself.

Now he's not even a reporter. "I'm above that," as he would put it. He's so vain and elitist about how he dresses, how much "work" he has done in his career, or whatever. He sits on this pedestal and looks down upon everything as if he invented basketball.

Just cause you're not willing to hustle anymore, you've earned the license to be a arrogant and pompous? Who deemed him the arbiter of all things basketball? Give me a break. Guy probably couldn't even make it to his varsity team in high school.

Guy is a hypocrite and suck up. It's a sad day in sports history when I am agreeing with Skip Bayless over another sports "journalist".

He's gotten worse, if at all possible. He makes fun of skip bayless, but he's actually adopted a lot of his style.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 01:26 PM

He acts like an arrogant elitist, that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9QJ8SKtZw 10:10 Steven A joins in.
Listen what this asshole said at 12:20 mark. Professional players are starving to do what he's doing? Gimme a break. Even scrubs are getting played multi-millions just to sit on a bench. Yes, they'd trade that million dollar position for to make $60,000 a year job. GTFO, Steven A. :oldlol:

DurantFor40
07-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Take anything Stephen GaySmith says with a grain of Russell Westbrook's barnacle infested ass crack. Dude is a condescending clown.

Linspired
07-19-2012, 01:45 PM
quiet frankly, i've stopped taking stephen a hole seriously for awhile. whenever he opens his mouth, i just look for words like 'eloquently' 'loquacious' or any other pre-SAT vocabulary he decided to use that day.

redhonda76
07-19-2012, 01:58 PM
I don't take Steven A seriously. One thing is for sure is that he is a Melo supporter and he doesn't like Lin from the beginning. But anyway.... Lin just came off knee surgery and you expect Lin to play in the playoffs so soon? Serously Steven A.... use your head. Even if Lin were to comes back to play,, he'll be rusty and isn't 100%. It's not like the Knicks can beat the Heat. Steven A is a Lin hater and will do anything to bring him down.

GOBB
07-19-2012, 02:07 PM
SAS doesnt fall for the hype of Linsanity is all. Some people dont, others do. He doesnt feel Lin is garbage. He doesnt think he is as great as people make him out to be. Thats not unfair or unreasonable.

And playing the race card is weak. I can run off names SAS thinks doesnt have game. You didnt call him for racial hostility then. Kwame Brown, til this day we still laugh at him blasting Kwame. And he is the truth, he actually called Kwame Brown a bonified scrub. No one ran to defend Kwame Brown especially when all I hear is how great of a low post defender he is. How good of a signing he was when GSW signed him, then recently Sixers.

But poor Lin gets attacked and its racial. SAS didnt buy the Tebow hype and he doesnt buy the Lin hype. If Lin proves him wrong SAS will man up and eat crow on national tv. :confusedshrug:

2LeTTeRS
07-19-2012, 02:17 PM

I don't think you recognize that as a public figure winning a slander case is near impossible. They have to prove that whoever made the statement said it 1) while knowing it to be false or 2) with reckless disregard to its truth.

Basically with the facts in hand for Lin to win a suit he would have to to prove that 1) Smith directly or indirectly identified Lin, 2) Lin's reputation was damaged by Smith's statements 3) Smith's statements were false (generally the hardest thing since much of what SAS says is opinion), and 4) that Smith was the party responsible for the injury to Lin's reputation.

wang4three
07-19-2012, 02:45 PM
SAS doesnt fall for the hype of Linsanity is all. Some people dont, others do. He doesnt feel Lin is garbage. He doesnt think he is as great as people make him out to be. Thats not unfair or unreasonable.

And playing the race card is weak. I can run off names SAS thinks doesnt have game. You didnt call him for racial hostility then. Kwame Brown, til this day we still laugh at him blasting Kwame. And he is the truth, he actually called Kwame Brown a bonified scrub. No one ran to defend Kwame Brown especially when all I hear is how great of a low post defender he is. How good of a signing he was when GSW signed him, then recently Sixers.

But poor Lin gets attacked and its racial. SAS didnt buy the Tebow hype and he doesnt buy the Lin hype. If Lin proves him wrong SAS will man up and eat crow on national tv. :confusedshrug:

The only time where it was racial is when that ESPN writer was fired. SAS said he thinks Asian people got offended because they've seen African Americans get upset in the past over similar cases. I thought that was preposterous. I don't get offended based on whether I think Black people would get offended, given the same set of circumstances. That's really racist if you ask me. It's like saying black people want to be successful because they see that white people want to be successful.

hawkfan
07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Classic SAS, "He's no scrub. No disrespect, but . . ."

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Just a little side story that relates to Lin:

Back in the 02-03 season in the playoffs against SA, Dirk hurts his knee from a collision with Manu. After about a week, Cuban wanted Dirk to play. Nellie refused to play him in that series. Her told EVERYONE that he would not jeopardize Dirk's career over a series.

Looking back at it know Nellie was probably right. The Mavs lost the series but Dirk did not have any more "side effects" from that. Had he played on it during the series, who knows... he might have devloped something chronic with it.

Lin could very well have been in the same boat.

get these NETS
07-19-2012, 02:55 PM
quiet frankly, i've stopped taking stephen a hole seriously for awhile. whenever he opens his mouth, i just look for words like 'eloquently' 'loquacious' or any other pre-SAT vocabulary he decided to use that day.

this is funny

get these NETS
07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
according to the model minority handbook

work hard and ignore all slights, racism, and discrimination (from Whites)

but react immediately to any slight, racism, or discrimination from Blacks.

jason whitlock gets called out asap..........but "slur in armor" doesn't

GOBB
07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Classic SAS, "He's no scrub. No disrespect, but . . ."

You failed. SAS would say "He's a scrub, no disrespect" which makes people go wait what? No different to first and foremost, second and more importantly. Why wouldnt the most important thing go first SAS? Whatever. Brush up on your SAS.

shortsoptional
07-19-2012, 03:26 PM
I know Stephen A is "close" with other players on the Knicks team, and that makes his analysis worthy, but I think it's the opposite.

He's a Knick fan. He's emotionally invested, so he's not above using opinion over facts. He went on a twitter rant earlier about "IT'S TIME FOR MELO AND AMARE TO STEP UP!"...he's rooting for those guys because they brought him to a bbq once and made him feel special.

get these NETS
07-19-2012, 03:45 PM
nature of big sports teams

don't land certain player

player releases private info

team leaks private info that counters what player said...through anonymous sources to damage credibility of the player

2 examples

TO said he was told he had to sign waiver to play in superbowl.....releasing eagles from liability

Eagles deny story

==================

Young A-rod ....pre yankees.... is wined and dined by the mets

they don't land him

GM, to take pressure and focus off himself for not landing A-rod, leaks that A-rod wanted special treatment, bonus perks, separate facilities,etc

lin's agent has him doing a press conference because ny media goes hard
and knicks are gladly leaking true ands false stories about lin to make him look bad

guy
07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
The only time where it was racial is when that ESPN writer was fired. SAS said he thinks Asian people got offended because they've seen African Americans get upset in the past over similar cases. I thought that was preposterous. I don't get offended based on whether I think Black people would get offended, given the same set of circumstances. That's really racist if you ask me. It's like saying black people want to be successful because they see that white people want to be successful.

I think I remember what you're talking about, but it didn't across that way to me. I believe SAS said something along the lines that black people are so overly sensitive about racism that its created a society where everyone is. It sounded like more of a knock on his own race then anyone elses.

Anyway, I love watching both him and Skip, and he has said some dumb shit, but he's clearly more unbiased then Skip. Anyone that regularly watches both should easily be able to tell that.

niko
07-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I know Stephen A is "close" with other players on the Knicks team, and that makes his analysis worthy, but I think it's the opposite.

He's a Knick fan. He's emotionally invested, so he's not above using opinion over facts. He went on a twitter rant earlier about "IT'S TIME FOR MELO AND AMARE TO STEP UP!"...he's rooting for those guys because they brought him to a bbq once and made him feel special.
He's not a Knick fan. He says he is but he favors pretty much the world over us.

B
07-19-2012, 04:01 PM
ESPN reporting Stephen A Smith was rushed to a local hospital to get a soap box removed from his ass

GOBB
07-19-2012, 04:02 PM
He's not a Knick fan. He says he is but he favors pretty much the world over us.

He's from NY. Always rooted for NYK. He's hard on the NYK like Hotlanta is his Hawks.

niko
07-19-2012, 04:06 PM
He's from NY. Always rooted for NYK. He's hard on the NYK like Hotlanta is his Hawks.
He's a Knick fan like Lebron 23 is a Cavs fan. Hard on for the stars, follows them first and foremost. Openly roots for Brooklyn to pass them. If you ask Steven A who he is a fan of im sure he says Knicks but i find that hard to believe as it's clear he gets off on them sucking, and openly roots for teams to pass them.

I don't think he has that much of a emotional connection to the knicks like he does with other teams he likes, like Yankees, Jets.

DirtySanchez
07-19-2012, 04:11 PM
He is hella hating on Lin because he ain't black. Get over yourself SAS.

kentatm
07-19-2012, 04:18 PM
SAS is going to talk his way off ESPN for a second time.

GOBB
07-19-2012, 04:44 PM
He is hella hating on Lin because he ain't black. Get over yourself SAS.

SAS bashes black players. He does so because they aint white? :biggums:

caliman
07-19-2012, 05:27 PM
"We didn't lose the second coming of Chris Paul here. Good bye, enjoy your $15 million."

Is that not true?

Blue&Orange
07-19-2012, 05:44 PM
and knicks are gladly leaking true ands false stories about lin to make him look bad
There's no need for that...

Timeline,

Lin signs a offer sheet, $28 millions.

Knicks coach reiterates Lin's importance to the team.
Knicks sign Kidd to tutor Lin.
Kidd speaks with enthusiasm about helping Lin get better.
Knicks makes a trade with the Rockets and gives probably more than needed.

Lin decides to sign a new contract that hurts the Knicks and where he gets less money, $25 millions.

Lin pulled a Boozer on the Knicks period.

GOBB
07-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Timeline,

Lin decides to sign a new contract that hurts the Knicks and where he gets less money, $25 millions.

Lin never agreed to whatever NYK was offering. They let him roam to test free agency which is his right. He did that and sought the best financial deal he could make. He unfortunately got it nd NYK want to cry about loyalty and honor. Its hilarious. Lin doesnt owe NYK anything. He gave them Linsanity. How much did they benefit from Linsanity? All this talk about Lin's financial impact, well now start throwing out the profit made off the kid. Mum is the word huh? Lin aint no Boozer. Boozer agreed to stay with Cleveland then decided :biggums: what did I pinky promise too, f*ck this.

niko
07-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Lin never agreed to whatever NYK was offering. They let him roam to test free agency which is his right. He did that and sought the best financial deal he could make. He unfortunately got it nd NYK want to cry about loyalty and honor. Its hilarious. Lin doesnt owe NYK anything. He gave them Linsanity. How much did they benefit from Linsanity? All this talk about Lin's financial impact, well now start throwing out the profit made off the kid. Mum is the word huh? Lin aint no Boozer. Boozer agreed to stay with Cleveland then decided :biggums: what did I pinky promise too, f*ck this.
i don't blame him for what he did, but he did ask NY to match the deal, they said yes, talked about it publicly, then he went and changed the terms of the deal, did not inform NY, so it came out in the media that NY IS SCREWED! OFFER CHANGED!

It doesn't make him evil but he didn't do things perfectly like people want to imply.

shortsoptional
07-19-2012, 06:02 PM
i don't blame him for what he did, but he did ask NY to match the deal, they said yes, talked about it publicly, then he went and changed the terms of the deal, did not inform NY, so it came out in the media that NY IS SCREWED! OFFER CHANGED!

It doesn't make him evil but he didn't do things perfectly like people want to imply.

I don't really remember Lin coming out and saying "hey..they gave me this offer" to anyone. The media maybe reported what the offer was.

New York/Woodson was stupid in showing their hand before the offer sheet had been signed. You can't un-sign an offer sheet so it's not like he signed two of them.

New York basically begged Houston to give him a ridiculous offer by saying they would match "up to a billion dollars", and Houston called their bluff.

Myth
07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
It probably helped Lin's new contract by not playing. He had such a small sample size, that if he went out at 85% and underperformed, people would just chalk up his good performances to a fluke and he would have had a smaller pay day.

stephanieg
07-19-2012, 06:25 PM
85%?

Didn't the guy just come off serious surgery.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 06:34 PM

But poor Lin gets attacked and its racial. SAS didnt buy the Tebow hype and he doesnt buy the Lin hype. If Lin proves him wrong SAS will man up and eat crow on national tv. :confusedshrug:You clearly didn't read my original post or get the point of this thread, as I mentioned many times this isn't the same as calling out Lin's basketball skills or ability. This is calling him flat out a liar. Nothing to do with basketball.

I don't think you recognize that as a public figure winning a slander case is near impossible. They have to prove that whoever made the statement said it 1) while knowing it to be false or 2) with reckless disregard to its truth.

Basically with the facts in hand for Lin to win a suit he would have to to prove that 1) Smith directly or indirectly identified Lin, 2) Lin's reputation was damaged by Smith's statements 3) Smith's statements were false (generally the hardest thing since much of what SAS says is opinion), and 4) that Smith was the party responsible for the injury to Lin's reputation.
Fair enough. And I doubt Lin would want to even give Smith anymore publicity.

However, my point is that he's never said anything like this to other players before and this is nowhere calling somebody a scrub. Do you agree or not, that he went far with a statement like this? Basically, he's calling the kid a liar.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Is that not true?
We don't know if it's true or. That is an opinion statement. Which is 100% OK to do. I only post that as a referral to Niko and wang4three's discussion of Smith being an asshole.

Now, the topic at hand is not an opinion statement. It is a flat out slanderous comment against Lin.

GOBB
07-19-2012, 06:53 PM
You clearly didn't read my original post or get the point of this thread, as I mentioned many times this isn't the same as calling out Lin's basketball skills or ability. This is calling him flat out a liar. Nothing to do with basketball..

My post is clearly addressing several posts made by people. Cant quote each one via iPhone.

TheBigVeto
07-19-2012, 07:13 PM

"Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin said. "And I had arguments with them about why I should." Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html#ixzz215Ro1wr6

Has he ever made slanderous remarks about a black player before? This is beyond calling somebody a scrub. Dude is slandering somebody's character. How can you say he doesn't have any racial hostility towards Lin?

He is flat out racist. FACT.

coin24
07-19-2012, 08:41 PM
No shit..:facepalm
He didnt want to be embarassed by the Heat just as it was contract time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s8yddKJ5V4

The lastt time they played, the heat D made him look pathetic:roll:

bluechox2
07-19-2012, 10:59 PM
sas slurps on sausages all day long

InfiniteBaskets
07-19-2012, 11:10 PM

Timeline,

You forgot to add "Knicks sign Raymond Felton" somewhere along that timeline.

ballashotcalla
07-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Steve A Smith is the Jim Cramer of basketball.

People listen to him because of his personality and not actual subject knowledge.

niko
07-19-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't really remember Lin coming out and saying "hey..they gave me this offer" to anyone. The media maybe reported what the offer was.

New York/Woodson was stupid in showing their hand before the offer sheet had been signed. You can't un-sign an offer sheet so it's not like he signed two of them.

New York basically begged Houston to give him a ridiculous offer by saying they would match "up to a billion dollars", and Houston called their bluff.
He met with the Knicks mgmt right after he got the offer. The terms were leaked all over to the media. Did you think they didn't know?

bluechox2
07-19-2012, 11:19 PM
anyone on this board would do what lin did

25 million in guaranteed money for 25 games worth of work experience??
who wouldnt want that...lin will probably urn that (if he busts) money into a billion with his economic skills later. :lol

KevinNYC
07-20-2012, 12:19 AM

Newspaper get sued for libel, not slander. Radio personalities get sued for slander.

However, it would be pretty hard to prove and Lin as a public figure would have a high hurdle to clear. Also I'm sure SAS's lawyer who honestly argue that nobody believes what SAS says, so what's the damage

shortsoptional
07-20-2012, 12:27 AM
He met with the Knicks mgmt right after he got the offer. The terms were leaked all over to the media. Did you think they didn't know?

No one knows what they talked about, but one thing is for sure. You can't sign an offer sheet and then sign another one. Once it's signed, it's delivered to the other team. So he wasn't commited to whatever contract details were "leaked."

If you could do that, every time a team matched an offer, they would just make a new one until someone gave in.

So Lin never signed a contract, and then signed another one. NY "leaked" to the media that they would match "up to a billion dollars" and Coach Woodson said they would match it. Blame NY for showing their hand.

Don't sit and act like New York just couldn't fork over that type of dough after giving Jason Kidd a three year deal, Marcus Camby a three year deal, and Steve Novak a 4 year deal. They will all count against the cap and contribute to the luxary cap hit in that third year.

This was more personal, whether Dolan was mad at him or Carmelo didn't want him stealing glory from his home town. This was not a financial decision. If you want to make it out to be that, then you better blame Melo, Amare, and Chandler for the money they make too.

Melo, Chandler, and Amare are all arguably overpaid.

shoops
07-20-2012, 12:31 AM
No one knows what they talked about, but one thing is for sure. You can't sign an offer sheet and then sign another one. Once it's signed, it's delivered to the other team. So he wasn't commited to whatever contract details were "leaked."

Yeah that was only a verbal agreement, he hadn't signed the offer sheet yet then.

07-20-2012, 09:12 AM

black people like him, Reverend Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson think black people are imperfect people who deserve sympathy for committing crimes.

Meanwhile any1 not black (mostly White people) are the devil.

blax are the new racists.

07-20-2012, 09:17 AM
anyone on this board would do what lin did

25 million in guaranteed money for 25 games worth of work experience??
who wouldnt want that...lin will probably urn that (if he busts) money into a billion with his economic skills later. :lol

I know right? Them asians sure know their maths!:cheers:

niko
07-20-2012, 09:17 AM

If you could do that, every time a team matched an offer, they would just make a new one until someone gave in.

So Lin never signed a contract, and then signed another one. NY "leaked" to the media that they would match "up to a billion dollars" and Coach Woodson said they would match it. Blame NY for showing their hand.

Don't sit and act like New York just couldn't fork over that type of dough after giving Jason Kidd a three year deal, Marcus Camby a three year deal, and Steve Novak a 4 year deal. They will all count against the cap and contribute to the luxary cap hit in that third year.

This was more personal, whether Dolan was mad at him or Carmelo didn't want him stealing glory from his home town. This was not a financial decision. If you want to make it out to be that, then you better blame Melo, Amare, and Chandler for the money they make too.

Melo, Chandler, and Amare are all arguably overpaid.

He didn't sign it, he told the Knicks the terms, they said they'd match, he changed the terms. I don't blame him but people want to make him out like he's saint like, he made a money grab. Jeremy Lin, this humble guy who wanted nothing more than to play for NY, forget the money! It's not true.

niko
07-20-2012, 09:18 AM
And Steven A is a douchebag liar, he had Jarrod Rudolph on yesterday who explained to him Dwight would only resign at year end but that was not a problem., and this morning Steven A acted like Dwight was going to extend and changed his mind and bashed him for it. Total douchebag, complete liar.

wang4three
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
And Steven A is a douchebag liar, he had Jarrod Rudolph on yesterday who explained to him Dwight would only resign at year end but that was not a problem., and this morning Steven A acted like Dwight was going to extend and changed his mind and bashed him for it. Total douchebag, complete liar.

Stephen A wants Dwight in Brooklyn cause he's from NYC and he drinks that Jay-Z Kool-Aid. It wouldn't surprise me to see him twist facts to his advantage. The problem is that no one else on the show is informed enough to tell him he's factually wrong.

wang4three
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Stephen A seems to also love to brag about the amenities he's gotten. "David Stern treats me well whenever he calls me into his office." "I'm up in 40/40 at Jay-Z's table." "My presence is required in New York." "LeBron, Carmelo had me over." "Everytime I'm in LA, Kobe shows me around and the people at Venice Beach love me" or whatever horseshit name dropping/glamour life he wants to propagate.

Basically he's just saying "My opinion is for sale. I have no integrity at all."

niko
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Stephen A wants Dwight in Brooklyn cause he's from NYC and he drinks that Jay-Z Kool-Aid. It wouldn't surprise me to see him twist facts to his advantage. The problem is that no one else on the show is informed enough to tell him he's factually wrong.

It's terrible. No one on ESPN knows how the CBA works to argue, and he basically dismissed that kid's appearance yesterday as if it did not happen. That was just wrong.