PDA

View Full Version : How do African Players Get Away With Lying About Their Ages???

Clippersfan86
07-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Seriously Eyenga on the Lakers squad was just interviewed and they say dude just turned 23 but that's complete horseshit. Dude has a horrid receding hairline and some gray hairs and black dudes have great hairlines (outside of Oden, Lebron and other rare mutants). It seems like many Africans that try out for or make an NBA squad lie about their age. What bugs me more is that the NBA doesn't dig deeper. I think they should be banished for lying about it, especially for teams thinking they are drafting a young, high upside player.

RRR3
07-19-2012, 09:27 PM
You're bored right now, aren't you? :lol

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 09:28 PM
You can easily fabricate documents in third world countries.

Hell, some don't have even birth certifications.

Clippersfan86
07-19-2012, 09:32 PM
You can easily fabricate documents in third world countries.

Hell, some don't have even birth certifications.

Which sucks because they get to cheat the system without consequences.

Clippersfan86
07-19-2012, 09:32 PM
You're bored right now, aren't you? :lol

:( yes.

Batz
07-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Get some sleep.

no pun intended
07-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Yi Jianlian.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 09:35 PM
To be fair, some of them were born in the middle of a civil war, given all the struggles that happen on Africa you gotta know some of them don't have the proper document.

chips93
07-19-2012, 09:37 PM

africa has much bigger problems than fake birth certificates, deceiving nba executives . . .

Clippersfan86
07-19-2012, 09:38 PM
africa has much bigger problems than fake birth certificates, deceiving nba executives . . .

Not the NBA's problem. Just don't like seeing prime 27 year old's allowed to compete against raw 19 year old NBA rookies and get their draft stock boosted as a result.

DaSeba5
07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Get some sleep.

This.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-19-2012, 09:41 PM
The Central American/Latin American countries have been doing it for years in baseball.

SAKOTXA
07-19-2012, 09:42 PM
He's just mad Eyenga has 18 points on 8/11 shooting and Bledsoe has 4. :mad:

Just kidding

AngelEyes
07-19-2012, 09:52 PM
The Central American/Latin American countries have been doing it for years in baseball.

The Dominican Republic especially.

Clippersfan86
07-19-2012, 09:53 PM

True. I think that's wrong as well.

AK47DR91
07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
True. I think that's wrong as well.
Even though you came off a bit spiteful, you do bring up an interesting topic.

Somebody should do a documentary about this. It definitely goes beyond basketball and baseball, sports in general.

Clippersfan86
07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Even though you came off a bit spiteful, you do bring up an interesting topic.

Somebody should do a documentary about this. It definitely goes beyond basketball and baseball, sports in general.

I only didn't bring up other sports because obviously people would complain that this is an NBA specific forum.

AirTupac
07-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Butthurt cause Eyenga is destroying Bledsoe :pimp:

Clippersfan86
07-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Butthurt cause Eyenga is destroying Bledsoe :pimp:

How can a player be getting destroyed when they play a different position.

AirTupac
07-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Im racist and I hunt ghosts

Yep

eliteballer
07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Dude has a horrid receding hairline and some gray hairs and black dudes have great hairlines (outside of Oden, Lebron and other rare mutants

Uhh ask MJ, Barkley, and Drexler.

jbot
07-19-2012, 10:24 PM
He's just mad Eyenga has 18 points on 8/11 shooting and Bledsoe has 4. :mad:

Just kidding
don't forget eyenga's killer dunk. not kidding.

IGotACoolStory
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Uhh ask MJ, Barkley, and Drexler.

And Bynum.

http://vogue.jerseysfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Los-Angeles-Lakers-Andrew-Bynum-is-Future-with-the-Lakers-Is-Up-in-the-Air.jpg

jbot
07-19-2012, 10:36 PM
some foreign countries are poorly regulated when it comes to creating false documents, especially birth certificates. like someone stated, baseball has a bad problem with this.

KyrieTheFuture
07-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Oh no they're really getting a leg up on the competition by being out of the league 5 years earlier if they are really lying about their age. Come on son. You mad?

RazorBaLade
07-19-2012, 10:53 PM
hes only this mad because eyenga just murked the clips summer league team for 22 points. lmao

ballashotcalla
07-19-2012, 11:16 PM
greg oden entered the league at the age of 42.

lakersfan2046
07-19-2012, 11:21 PM
some foreign countries are poorly regulated when it comes to creating false documents, especially birth certificates. like someone stated, baseball has a bad problem with this.

I don't know Eyenga personally but I do know people who know the kid REALLY well and they tell me he did lie about his age :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

chocolatethunder
07-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Dikembe lied about his age as well. It is common in distance running. East Africans are notorious for this kind of thing. In Ethiopia and Kenya especially. There is always some "junior" every year who comes out of nowhere and starts killing it. There are also Kenyans and Ethiopians in both high school and college who can't possibly be their claimed age. Part of the reason is that in the most rural of areas (in both countries I believe) birth certificates aren't issued. Also Ethiopia uses the Coptic calendar.

Dwade305
07-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Very f*cking tough to verify. FIFA practicaly already gave up and some African country is always if not the winner than top 4 in u-17 and u-20 World Cup tournaments, despite other countries in Europe and South America having much better talent.

NBA has no chance to regulate this and who gives a **** really. It's not even as blatant as Soccer, where physicality comes alot more into play than basketball, which IMO requires more IQ and skill of the game.

jbot
07-20-2012, 03:05 AM
I don't know Eyenga personally but I do know people who know the kid REALLY well and they tell me he did lie about his age :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:
probably so. it wouldn't surprise me.

tomtucker
07-20-2012, 03:24 AM
greg oden entered the league at the age of 42.

yes, but his body age was 72

Punpun
07-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Just make bone test compulsory. Problem solved. If you believe it's a problem. I know Biyombo took one as there was controversy about his age.

Shepseskaf
07-20-2012, 03:59 AM
The OP might as well ask why so many people -- from all around the world, including America -- blatantly lie on their resumes and CVs about schools attended, degrees obtained, jobs held, etc.

Its in order to gain an advantage within a system that one is trying to enter.

ForeverHeat
07-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Eyenga is not lying about his age. I know someone who was at the same school with him in Africa. My friend is 19 and said Eyenga was in the higher classes.

Quickening
07-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Very f*cking tough to verify. FIFA practicaly already gave up and some African country is always if not the winner than top 4 in u-17 and u-20 World Cup tournaments, despite other countries in Europe and South America having much better talent.

NBA has no chance to regulate this and who gives a **** really. It's not even as blatant as Soccer, where physicality comes alot more into play than basketball, which IMO requires more IQ and skill of the game.
Stfu... If your 7 foot and very athletic there's a good chance you could play in the NBA, football is more about natural talent.

Punpun
07-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Dikembe lied about his age as well. It is common in distance running. East Africans are notorious for this kind of thing. In Ethiopia and Kenya especially. There is always some "junior" every year who comes out of nowhere and starts killing it. There are also Kenyans and Ethiopians in both high school and college who can't possibly be their claimed age. Part of the reason is that in the most rural of areas (in both countries I believe) birth certificates aren't issued. Also Ethiopia uses the Coptic calendar.

Wait. You made a mistake here. There is a reason why ethiopians and Kenyans always have junior being better than everyone else. It's not because they lie about their ages. It's just because they are the ebst as it also translates at the best level.

I<3NBA
07-20-2012, 08:23 AM
How do African Players Get Away With Lying About Their Ages???
they're black. the color hides the age easily.

yes. i'm joking. before anybody calls me out as racist.

Calabis
07-20-2012, 08:30 AM
Seriously Eyenga on the Lakers squad was just interviewed and they say dude just turned 23 but that's complete horseshit. Dude has a horrid receding hairline and some gray hairs and black dudes have great hairlines (outside of Oden, Lebron and other rare mutants). It seems like many Africans that try out for or make an NBA squad lie about their age. What bugs me more is that the NBA doesn't dig deeper. I think they should be banished for lying about it, especially for teams thinking they are drafting a young, high upside player.

I would assume Genocide, corruption and being a third world country may play a part in that.

Quickening
07-20-2012, 08:40 AM
I would assume Genocide, corruption and being a third world country may play a part in that.

What his horrid hairline? :biggums:

Trumpin
07-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Stfu... If your 7 foot and very athletic there's a good chance you could play in the NBA, football is more about natural talent.

Oh yeah? the goal is like 100 wide, not so hard scoring:confusedshrug:

Quickening
07-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Oh yeah? the goal is like 100 wide, not so hard scoring:confusedshrug:

I am talking about football... what you kick with your feet, what you talking about, American football?

Use its proper name next time ******.

Punpun
07-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Proper name for NFL is handegg by the way.

Trumpin
07-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Didn't think about this but looking at pictures of him he looks atleast 28-29.

Rnbizzle
07-20-2012, 08:49 AM
How old do you guys think Ibaka really is?

Quickening
07-20-2012, 08:50 AM

Trumpin
07-20-2012, 08:52 AM

At least 26-27, it's always funny how africans decline so early.

swag2011
07-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Eyenga is not lying about his age. I know someone who was at the same school with him in Africa. My friend is 19 and said Eyenga was in the higher classes.

Ok somebody is lying here lol. One person says he is older, and the other says he's telling the truth about his age. hmmm.

All i know is that he and Serge Ibaka are friends and have known each other for a while.

On his relationship with fellow Congolese NBA player Serge Ibaka from Oklahoma City:
Eyenga: Serge and I are best friends. We grew up together and we did everything together. We came through the Congo together, and he also went to Spain to play professionally and then came to the NBA one season before me. When we were growing up, Dikembe Mutombo was the player who really opened the door for players like Serge, myself and DJ Mbenga.

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/06/11/a-chat-with-christian-eyenga/

Calabis
07-20-2012, 09:01 AM
What his horrid hairline? :biggums:

You asked why they(Africans) lie about their age? I assume several probably don't even know their actual birthdate, due to money, displacement as children, genocide that has occurred and being a third world country

At 33 years, Mutiso sees little need for getting a birth certificate. None of his siblings has the document, either. All they have relied on to estimate their ages are dates given by their parents.

ForeverHeat
07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Ok somebody is lying here lol. One person says he is older, and the other says he's telling the truth about his age. hmmm.

All i know is that he and Serge Ibaka are friends and have known each other for a while.

On his relationship with fellow Congolese NBA player Serge Ibaka from Oklahoma City:
Eyenga: Serge and I are best friends. We grew up together and we did everything together. We came through the Congo together, and he also went to Spain to play professionally and then came to the NBA one season before me. When we were growing up, Dikembe Mutombo was the player who really opened the door for players like Serge, myself and DJ Mbenga.

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/06/11/a-chat-with-christian-eyenga/

Well it is possible that Eyenga had a incorrect age when he was going to school? But thats pretty unlikely, then again who knows though?

Eat Like A Bosh
07-20-2012, 10:12 AM
How does Clippers Fan average over 40 PPD?

nightprowler10
07-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Just make bone test compulsory. Problem solved. If you believe it's a problem. I know Biyombo took one as there was controversy about his age.
This. Though in cricket they just do a wrist size test (might be similar to what you're saying) in Pakistan as that's always been an issue.

Lebron23
07-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Chinese also gets away with this kind of stuff. Wang Zhi Zhi and Yi Jianlian lied about their ages.

get these NETS
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
racist thread

OP, you are one individual...an insignificant person in the grand scheme of things.

the PROFESSIONAL sports BUSINESSES do all manner of background checks, physicals,etc before they hire the services of these athletes.

You are writing as though, you are writing the checks and somebody is pulling a fast one on YOU.

Relax, take things in perspective.

And again, people commenting on this topic....I'd bet that 90% of you have never left the COUNTY or even the city that you were born in...and you never will.
How can you speak with any kind of authority about what takes place on other continents? You don't even know the name of the next town's mayor.

zac
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
AS SOMEONE WHO'S DAD GREW UP IN LIBERIA AND KENYA, AND I HAVE BEEN TO KENYA TWICE NOW, I CAN SPEAK ON THIS.

Now that I have your attention :D , in a lot of African cultures they just do not keep up with age, birthdays, etc. They just live their lives day to day and aren't concerned about that or a lot of times, don't even have way to specifically keep up with it. It is completely normal for people to not know their exact age, even in the more industrialize and modern cities. I asked one of our drivers (you have to have one because it's just chaos on the roads) how old he was and he was just like "Ahh, about 50." I talked to one of the other drivers last year about the whole discrepancy with Biyambo's age and he was telling me that was very common.

Most of Africa is not time/date driven like American culture, it is all event driven. An event might supposed to start at 2PM and people will wait around all day for it to begin and it might be 7PM before it starts and everyone is completely fine with that and just hang around because most do not have anything else to do really when most of the places are 80-90%+ unemployment.

It has nothing to do with lying and such, as far as the players are involved, it's just a completely different culture. Some shady agents might use that to their players advantage but it does not surprise me at all that some African players do not know exactly how old they are. /ArficaRant

Dwade305
07-20-2012, 12:53 PM
The Diops and Thabeets of the African continent are the exceptions. They get paid and drafted on potential for those exact reasons you mentioned.

u-17 African national soccer teams are not more talented than most South American or European countries. They mollywhop them by playing an aggresive vertical game, and impose their will with their physicality, because they are already in their early 20's going against teenagers. Get it?

chocolatethunder
07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Wait. You made a mistake here. There is a reason why ethiopians and Kenyans always have junior being better than everyone else. It's not because they lie about their ages. It's just because they are the ebst as it also translates at the best level.
Actually it's both. They are the best and they lie about their ages. I can cite plenty of examples.

bmd
07-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Seriously Eyenga on the Lakers squad was just interviewed and they say dude just turned 23 but that's complete horseshit. Dude has a horrid receding hairline and some gray hairs and black dudes have great hairlines (outside of Oden, Lebron and other rare mutants). It seems like many Africans that try out for or make an NBA squad lie about their age. What bugs me more is that the NBA doesn't dig deeper. I think they should be banished for lying about it, especially for teams thinking they are drafting a young, high upside player.My dad starting getting gray hair in his early 20's.

I have a few gray hairs and I'm 23.

It runs in our family.

One of my friends started going bald when he was like 16. He's fully bald on the top of his head and he's 24.

My point is, you can be gray and/or bald and still be young.

FireDavidKahn
07-20-2012, 12:58 PM
So much xenophobia going on in this thread.:oldlol:

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
The Diops and Thabeets of the African continent are the exceptions. They get paid and drafted on potential for those exact reasons you mentioned.

u-17 African national soccer teams are not more talented than most South American or European countries. They mollywhop them by playing an aggresive vertical game, and impose their will with their physicality, because they are already in their early 20's going against teenagers. Get it?

Cool story... but if you put 25 year olds with great athletic ability against 16 year olds in basketball, the 25 year olds will win more times than not.

My point was that athletiscm is more important in basketball than it is in football, not that it is necessarily unimportant in "soccer"... Get it?

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
racist thread

OP, you are one individual...an insignificant person in the grand scheme of things.

the PROFESSIONAL sports BUSINESSES do all manner of background checks, physicals,etc before they hire the services of these athletes.

You are writing as though, you are writing the checks and somebody is pulling a fast one on YOU.

Relax, take things in perspective.

And again, people commenting on this topic....I'd bet that 90% of you have never left the COUNTY or even the city that you were born in...and you never will.
How can you speak with any kind of authority about what takes place on other continents? You don't even know the name of the next town's mayor.

None of that has anything to do with the fact that a high percentage of Africans don't actually know how old they are exactly.

Muppet.

get these NETS
07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
None of that has anything to do with the fact that a high percentage of Africans don't actually know how old they are exactly.

Muppet.

proof ? since you're stating it like it's a fact.

I'll wait..

http://netanimations.net/Little-black-and-white-alarm-clock-ticking-away.gif

and bookmark, for your reply.

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:07 PM

I'll wait..and bookmark, for your reply.

Yes its a fact.:applause:

zac
07-20-2012, 01:10 PM

I'll wait..

and bookmark, for your reply.
Read my post on the last page, he is right.

get these NETS
07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Yes its a fact.:applause:
knew you wouldn't be able to answer.

ignorance is bliss, and you've got the right image in your post.....

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:15 PM
knew you wouldn't be able to answer.

ignorance is bliss, and you've got the right image in your post.....

I have been to Africa many times.:applause:

Facts are facts.:bowdown:

get these NETS
07-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Read my post on the last page, he is right.

yeah , because visiting one of the 54 countries on the continent means you can speak for what "Africa" and "Africans" are like.......especially the "majority of Africans"

get these NETS
07-20-2012, 01:17 PM

you've never left your home state.

and still waiting for "proof" of the

"FACTS"

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:19 PM
you've never left your home state.

and still waiting for "proof" of the

"FACTS"

Many times.:applause:

Punpun
07-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Actually it's both. They are the best and they lie about their ages. I can cite plenty of examples.

Actually, when a player "lie" aobut his age, he will have an advantage over people who have the same age as him but said advantage will go away when those young kids get to his real age. This doesn't happen with Ethipian and Kenyans.

Aka, they aren't lieing about anything.

lakersfan2046
07-20-2012, 01:27 PM

This is one of the most idiotic statements I have heard. I was born in Africa. I moved to the states when I was in my teens. Even my grandfather knew when he was born. They kept record by counting the number of rain seasons since birth. My father's generation, everyone knows the exact date they were born and don't even get me started on our generation.

The reason it is easy for African athletes to change their age (DJ Benga changed his age too if you guys must know. I know this to be a FACT) is because of rampant corruption. You can get a new birth certificate for the right amount of money. It is not that the original does not exist but rather that a little bit of money can buy you a new one.

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:28 PM
This is one of the most idiotic statements I have heard. I was born in Africa. I moved to the states when I was in my teens. Even my grandfather knew when he was born. They kept record by counting the number of rain seasons since birth. My father's generation, everyone knows the exact date they were born and don't even get me started on our generation.

The reason it is easy for African athletes to change their age (DJ Benga changed his age too if you guys must know. I know this to be a FACT) is because of rampant corruption. You can get a new birth certificate for the right amount of money. It is not that the original does not exist but rather that a little bit of money can buy you a new one.

Don't be ashamed.:applause: Oh wait you just an alt account.

lakersfan2046
07-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Don't be ashamed.:applause: Oh wait you just an alt account.

Nice attempt at trolling. Check the record and you will see this is an original account. I am just telling you the truth

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Nice attempt at trolling. Check the record and you will see this is an original account. I am just telling you the truth

Your sample size being you and your grandad who knew his by the rain drops.:lol :applause:

8BeastlyXOIAD
07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Yi Jianlian.

This

OP IS A RACIST *******

lakersfan2046
07-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Your sample size being you and your grandad who knew his by the rain drops.:lol :applause:

Are you dense? My sample size is everyone of my generation. I went to school there until I was in my early teens. Birth certificates are a requirement for school registration. Then, my father's generation. I know both my parents and everyone in my large extended family know their exact birthday and we celebrate them. Then my 4 grandparents and the folk stories they told me growing up.

Better than I have been to Africa once. I bet you you have never set foot in Africa. Tell me where in Africa you went and we can test your knowledge.

chocolatethunder
07-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Actually, when a player "lie" aobut his age, he will have an advantage over people who have the same age as him but said advantage will go away when those young kids get to his real age. This doesn't happen with Ethipian and Kenyans.

Aka, they aren't lieing about anything.
Your trolling is impeccable but you're terribly misinformed. All the time both Ethiopians and Kenyans lie about their ages in order to compete as juniors and at university level and even in high school. They set american high school records and junior world records and then move on to the professional level. Here are a few examples
Haile Gebreselassie
Isiah Koech
Imane Merga
Solomon Haile
Eliud Kipchoge
Thomas Loriongosiwa. Loriongosiwa was arrested for falsifying his age as was Dennis Kipkirui Keter and John Yego who were both World Junior champions in the steeple chase , and the 800/1500m respectively. Nice try buddy.

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Are you dense? My sample size is everyone of my generation. I went to school there until I was in my early teens. Birth certificates are a requirement for school registration. Then, my father's generation. I know both my parents and everyone in my large extended family know their exact birthday and we celebrate them. Then my 4 grandparents and the folk stories they told me growing up.

Better than I have been to Africa once. I bet you you have never set foot in Africa. Tell me where in Africa you went and we can test your knowledge.

I went to Madagascar for some filming I did... as well as a few other places.

lakersfan2046
07-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I went to Madagascar for some filming I did... as well as a few other places.

I have never been to Madagascar so I cannot comment on that. However, I seriously doubt that people in Madagascar do not know when they were born.

Let me guess, you went there for some filming, you found a few people that fit your narrative and you spoke with them and all of a sudden you became a specialist on all matters African. LOL

Your story is bullshit. Even people who grew up in slums know their exact age because hospitals record that shit. I seriously do not know anyone who was birthed at home by a midwife. I call bullshit on your story. Moving on now

Quickening
07-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I have never been to Madagascar so I cannot comment on that. However, I seriously doubt that people in Madagascar do not know when they were born.

Let me guess, you went there for some filming, you found a few people that fit your narrative and you spoke with them and all of a sudden you became a specialist on all matters African. LOL

Your story is bullshit. Even people who grew up in slums know their exact age because hospitals record that shit. I seriously do not know anyone who was birthed at home by a midwife. I call bullshit on your story. Moving on now

We aren't talking about the posh part of Africa where you obviously from.:coleman:

I met Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman who all had simila stories.

Punpun
07-20-2012, 01:53 PM
-snip-
Even if that might be true. And it's not as you are overblowing it, it has nothing to do with what OP was talking about as those guys still dominates everyone.

And bitch please, drop the "u trolling" defense. It looks silly when none of my comments insofar are susceptible of stirring up troubles and passion from other users.

get these NETS
07-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Many times.:applause:

was waiting for the proof when I realized that it just wasn't coming.

laugh it off, go ahead,

both of us....and all of ish...know that you have no idea what you're talking about

and to paraphrase a classic line from a sports film

"DON'T worry, I've shut down much smarter racists than you"

http://data.whicdn.com/images/8962907/2us7csm_thumb.jpg