PDA

View Full Version : why the eff is kevin love and unibrow on the team????

swi7ch
07-23-2012, 09:50 AM
When it's CLEAR that Coach K doesn't like either of them? He should have made Jerry Colangelo coach this team if he insisted on adding those two bench warmers.

miles berg
07-23-2012, 09:52 AM
It's a weird team. Still can't figure out why Carmelo Anthony is on it either. So many better choices out there.

heavensdevil
07-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Unibrow has been playing nice. Iam impressed by his mobility.

SilkkTheShocker
07-23-2012, 10:00 AM
When it's CLEAR that Coach K doesn't like either of them? He should have made Jerry Colangelo coach this team if he insisted on adding those two bench warmers.

Davis is a rookie, he will have his moment. Love's play isn't conducive to winning basketball. Dude is a stat-padding loser.

2LeTTeRS
07-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Name a player that is currently healthy that fits the team better.

roffie
07-23-2012, 10:11 AM

this

chocolatethunder
07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Davis is a rookie, he will have his moment. Love's play isn't conductive to winning basketball. Dude is a stat-padding loser.
I think you mean conducive.

SilkkTheShocker
07-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Good call.

LJJ
07-23-2012, 10:37 AM

There aren't any guys who are big time players who legitimate deserve a spot over Kevin Love, or Carmelo Anthony. But at some point you have to draw some conclusions and realize that having all these first options on the team is not necessarily the best team composition.

You are not going to find those players among the stars in the NBA, but surely there are plenty of roleplayers out there who are willing to crash the boards hard, work hard on defense and work within the offense. You don't need more when you have Kobe/Durant/Westbrook/Paul/Williams on the roster. It might by unfair to bring John Doe along instead of Kevin Love, but it is what it is.

What you don't need is too many guys who don't hustle on defense and then are ball stoppers on offense, like Melo. Why bring Melo and Klove, when they are going to be the 6th/7th best scorers on the team and liabilities in terms of defense and overall effort.

b0bab0i
07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
j smoove

kentatm
07-23-2012, 11:14 AM
It's a weird team. Still can't figure out why Carmelo Anthony is on it either. So many better choices out there.

http://blog.newrelic.com/wp-content/uploads/Nike-Logo1.jpg

stallionaire
07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Why is Melo on the team then? Love is better than Melo.

KB2009Champ
07-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Honestly I don't get why Harden is on the team.

I'd rather have Rudy Gay or Eric Gordon on the team.

Sort of feel that way about Westbrook although his defense has made up for him not fitting in on offense.

christian1923
07-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Why is Melo on the team then? Love is better than Melo.
:lol :lol

2LeTTeRS
07-23-2012, 11:33 AM
j smoove

Good pick. I do think a few super role players (or utility guys if that sounds better) should make the team. I remember back when Team USA's selection committee picked Bruce Bowen to be on the team, and thought he was a good pick because his strengths fit in perfectly with what the other stars were weak at.

The only problem is beyond Smith I can't think of any forwards or big men who really fit this description (not counting Duncan or KG who seem to have no more interest in international competition at this stage of their careers).

BankShot
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Are we serious with the Josh Smith consideration over Kevin Love?

Love rebounds like crazy, spreads the floor with his outside shooting, and is a good passer.

Smith has a broken outside jumper that he takes too often, is a questionable decision maker, and while his athleticism is elite it is redundant on a team with Lebron, Westbrook, Iggy, etc...

alenleomessi
07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
nerlens noel

FreezingTsmoove
07-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Are we serious with the Josh Smith consideration over Kevin Love?

Love rebounds like crazy, spreads the floor with his outside shooting, and is a good passer.

Smith has a broken outside jumper that he takes too often, is a questionable decision maker, and while his athleticism is elite it is redundant on a team with Lebron, Westbrook, Iggy, etc...

His defense is outstanding though

BankShot
07-23-2012, 11:46 AM
His defense is outstanding though

Is it really though?? I know he's a great shot blocker, but I'd be interested to see the numbers on his individual defense.

Again, I think Smith would be redundant on Team USA because what he brings on offense is already there in a greater fashion with Bron and Melo, and and what he could bring on defense is already being done with Iggy and Lebron.

2LeTTeRS
07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Is it really though?? I know he's a great shot blocker, but I'd be interested to see the numbers on his individual defense.

Again, I think Smith would be redundant on Team USA because what he brings on offense is already there in a greater fashion with Bron and Melo, and and what he could bring on defense is already being done with Iggy and Lebron.

I disagree. Love is definitely better offensively, but that doesn't really matter in this setting since the role both would play (as the 9th or 10th best offensive player on the team) does not require the player to have the ball in their hands much.

The question comes down to whats more valuable: Love's elite rebounding and outside shooting combined with questionable defense or Smith's shot blocking and athleticism while sacrificing a little range on the jumper? I say Smith's talents help more.

MiseryCityTexas
07-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Kevin Love already paid his dues are far as stats are concerned.

ZenMaster
07-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Has Smith even been part of the US program as a select team player in the last few years?

swi7ch
07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
With the TWolves, yes. Last time I check, Team USA isn't the TWolves. He can't "rebound like crazy" because he can't stat pad on offensive putbacks, he doesn't spread the floor with his outside shooting because he only plays 30 seconds per game and they run ZERO plays for him because this is not the TWolves and LBJ, Durant, etc, are better options.

On paper he seems like a good fit but in reality he isn't.

ZenMaster
07-23-2012, 12:25 PM
With the TWolves, yes. Last time I check, Team USA isn't the TWolves. He can't "rebound like crazy" because he can't stat pad on offensive putbacks, he doesn't spread the floor with his outside shooting because he only plays 30 seconds per game and they run ZERO plays for him because this is not the TWolves and LBJ, Durant, etc, are better options.

On paper he seems like a good fit but in reality he isn't.

So basically what you're saying is he's a bad fit because he doesn't get minutes?

DaHeezy
07-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I think Melo has earned it considering his past performance on team USA as well as the relationship with teammates.

caliman
07-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Still can't figure out why Carmelo Anthony is on it either.

Carmelo kills in international play.

BankShot
07-23-2012, 12:27 PM
So basically what you're saying is he's a bad fit because he doesn't get minutes?

:applause:

Apparently Kevin Love wouldn't get rebounds on a better team, because he couldn't "stat pad" off misses.

Also, his outside shots won't go in because they weren't called for him.

LJJ
07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
:applause:

Apparently Kevin Love wouldn't get rebounds on a better team, because he couldn't "stat pad" off misses.

Also, his outside shots won't go in because they weren't called for him.

Let's put it differently then.

Team USA needs a player who:
1. Plays a very passive, supportive role on offense
2. Ie, does all the "chores"
3. Barely attempts FGs, doesn't really look for shots
4. Good at defense, esp team defense
5. High energy level on defense and during transition
6. Knows when to crash the boards hard, and when not to. Based on where his teammates are

Does that description scream "KEVIN LOVE" to you? No. He is used to being a first option and have all the other players on his team play in his service basically. Which is something that is utterly unnecessary from Kevin Love on this team. His core abilities have no use.

eeeeeebro
07-23-2012, 12:41 PM

I think you need to watch the 2012 all star game!

swi7ch
07-23-2012, 12:56 PM

he doesn't get minutes because he's not a good fit for team usa. for the twolves, he's perfect. but not with other superstars.

tomtucker
07-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Carmelo kills in international play.
carmelo is awesome

alenleomessi
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM

6. Knows when to crash the boards hard, and when not to. Based on where his teammates are

Does that description scream "KEVIN LOVE" to you? No. He is used to being a first option and have all the other players on his team play in his service basically. Which is something that is utterly unnecessary from Kevin Love on this team. His core abilities have no use.

nerlens noel
:confusedshrug:

FireDavidKahn
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't even know the process but doesn't coach K pick who he wants?:confusedshrug:

FireDavidKahn
07-23-2012, 01:20 PM

Umm lol. Points 1-3 and 6 describe Love to a tee...

get these NETS
07-23-2012, 01:23 PM
after seeing George Karl and Larry Brown, both UNC guys btw, FAIL...

Coach K is going to play the guys who give the team the best shot at winning....it's real now...it's not te old days when top nba talent on a bad day steamrolls over everybody else

coaching with agendas...can and will lead to an embarrassing showing...how else can team with Iverson AND Duncan lose to international guys EVER????????

Love fans don't want to hear this..but Coach K isn't playing him because he's seen up close what he's capable of and INCAPABLE of and will use him (or not) accordingly.

LJJ
07-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Not at all.

There is no way you get to describe a player who almost scores 30 points a game in the NBA as a passive, offensive role player.

A guy who averages 20FGA "barely attempts field goals"?

And Love is not a guy who knows to stay the **** away when his teammates are already in position to get those rebounds. He is a dominant, pure rebounder. That skill is not needed with LeBron, Durant, Anthony, Chandler, etc all playing heavy minutes. Maybe if he could anchor the defense in addition to his rebounding like Dwight, but he can't do that either.

Hittin_Shots
07-23-2012, 01:27 PM

Another Kevin fits the bill better but may b a ill old to wanna play.

FireDavidKahn
07-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Not at all.

There is no way you get to describe a player who almost scores 30 points a game in the NBA as a passive, offensive role player.

A guy who averages 20FGA "barely attempts field goals"?

And Love is not a guy who knows to stay the **** away when his teammates are already in position to get those rebounds. He is a dominant, pure rebounder. That skill is not needed with LeBron, Durant, Anthony, Chandler, etc all playing heavy minutes. Maybe if he could anchor the defense in addition to his rebounding like Dwight, but he can't do that either.
You assume that just because he takes 20 FGA a game that he doesn't play within an offense, which is completely untrue. Love knows his place and role and does it well.

fsvr54
07-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Most of Smith's questionable shots come at the end of the shot clock due to horrible offensive schemes.

LJJ
07-23-2012, 01:45 PM
You assume that just because he takes 20 FGA a game that he doesn't play within an offense, which is completely untrue. Love knows his place and role and does it well.

True, no where do I say he doesn't.

His place and role on the Twolves is still completely different than what is needed from him on team USA though. Get back to me when Kevin Love isn't a completely liability defensively.

The_Yearning
07-23-2012, 01:46 PM
I thought unibrow was injured.

Fragile.

ihoopallday
07-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Maybe I'm in denial, but I feel like team USA is playing at like 85% right now. Once pool play begins, we'll be seeing way better execution in my opinion.

IGOTGAME
07-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Taj Gibson. Roy Hibbert.

Punpun
07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Because Love is great ?

IGotACoolStory
07-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Greg Monroe would be a terrific fit for Team USA. Big guy for size, can get his own in the low post by himself, and he's an excellent passer.

BlueandGold
07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Cause they need size? Durant and Melo are essentially playing the 4, and would be alternating at the 5 if it wasn't for Love and Unibrow.

LBJFTW
08-05-2012, 11:19 PM

Maybe because Melo set an olympic record 37 points including 10-of-12 from the arc? :confusedshrug:

hawksdogsbraves
08-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Anthony Davis is perfect for this team. He doesn't have much of an offensive game yet, which is perfectly fine because on this team he'll only be scoring on put backs and alley oops. He runs great in transition, and plays tough interior defense.

He needs to get all of Love's minutes, Love adds nothing of value to the team. He picks up a lot of rebounds but still gets worked over by bigger guys, and is awful defensively.

LT Ice Cream
08-06-2012, 12:24 AM
http://blog.newrelic.com/wp-content/uploads/Nike-Logo1.jpg

Why are we still all arguing over this? This guy ended the discussion right here.

senelcoolidge
08-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Griffin would have helped a lot inside. He actually plays inside. But he hurt his knee. But there are other big guys that could have been better fits.

RazorBaLade
08-06-2012, 05:41 AM

goddamn

Cermet
08-06-2012, 05:56 AM
I think is official that Davis has to change his name to unibrow and we all have the obligation to call him unibrow. At least until he gets rid of that damn thing. I still don't get why he doesn't get rid of it, is it like his lucky charm or something?

sundizz
08-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Easy. Lemarcus Aldridge.

2LeTTeRS
08-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Easy. Lemarcus Aldridge.

Did you even read the word healthy? Aldridge had surgery in April and I'm pretty sure he couldn't play right now even if he wanted to >>>> http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/4/12/2944208/lamarcus-aldridge-injury-hip-surgery-blazers.

"In his most recent MRI, and following further evaluation, it's been determined that LaMarcus has a slight labral tear and will require arthroscopic surgery," said Acting General Manager Chad Buchanan. "LaMarcus' priority is that he's 100-percent healthy going into training camp this fall and we all feel this is the best course. He's had an All-Star year and his long-term health is the most important thing to consider."

Clippersfan86
08-06-2012, 10:14 AM
What I would love to know from Coach K himself is why he was such a fan of what Griffin was doing for Team USA... yet he can't stand Love it seems? Maybe the whole jumpshooting bigman aspect? I do know Griffin wouldn't complain about minutes the way Love did so maybe that's also a part of it.

BlueandGold
08-06-2012, 10:19 AM
What I would love to know from Coach K himself is why he was such a fan of what Griffin was doing for Team USA... yet he can't stand Love it seems? Maybe the whole jumpshooting bigman aspect? I do know Griffin wouldn't complain about minutes the way Love did so maybe that's also a part of it.
That's because coach K actually played him.

Clippersfan86
08-06-2012, 10:26 AM
That's because coach K actually played him.

Fair enough. Do you think reason Griffin got favored over Love was his play style though? I mean people were arguing that Griffin didn't fit but when Coach K talked about Griffin he talked about leader, defensive stopper and dominant scorer in the paint. Not sure if Griffin was improving his D or what but Coach K seemed to see a big role for Blake.

PP34Deuce
08-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I believe Davis is a better fit... It feels like he's involved in every play... Whether screen n roll, rebounding, blocking shots. I would love to see Davis get 10-15 minutes early on with the starters just to see how he works with them

knickswin
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
they are really lacking pick and pop big men which seems to be integral to international play, so I guess in theory that's why love's there. those abilities have not been utilized too much though.

this is why bosh would have been very useful. or lamarcus aldridge. kg too but he's ancient.

i wish amar'e were healthy enough (or good enough) to play for team usa. maybe it'd push him to work on his d. in theory, he could have been a pick and pop big even though his J was whack this season.

Dictator
08-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Keving Love sucks. Anthony Davis should get all his minutes. Overrated statpadder.

Anthony Davis is fast, more mobility, better d, and better inside game.