PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone in the NBA who does not like playing basketball?

dirkdiggler41
07-23-2012, 05:35 PM
You hear it all the time, I just read on another forum

Yeah.... he (Vince Carter) doesn't really love basketball. Probably got into basketball due to all the Jordan-mania back in the 90's. Even chose Jordan's college, UNC. He doesn't really care.

I just don't get how a player can become so damn good at it and not even like it that much. At one time, Vince Carter must have been at least a top 10 player in the NBA.

I just don't believe in the idea that NBA players don't like basketball. They must love it to even get to the level they. Yes, they are athletic, but there is no way a person is able to make the NBA without loving it.

There is always this talk about players practicing, they see a video of Wade just playing around, not working out. Then they suddenly believe that Wade workout is all about playing around for a hour a day, and then he goes home and spends his money.

/End rant

NumberSix
07-23-2012, 05:40 PM

I just don't get how a player can become so damn good at it and not even like it that much. At one time, Vince Carter must have been at least a top 10 player in the NBA.

I just don't believe in the idea that NBA players don't like basketball. They must love it to even get to the level they. Yes, they are athletic, but there is no way a person is able to make the NBA without loving it.

There is always this talk about players practicing, they see a video of Wade just playing around, not working out. Then they suddenly believe that Wade workout is all about playing around for a hour a day, and then he goes home and spends his money.

/End rant
Plenty of players don't really care about the game. It's just a job to some people. The amount of money to be made is a good motivator to work very hard, but it's still just a job for some.

franchise#3
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Some of those guys are just naturally talented. Like out of this talented. I remember in my high school there was this guy who was so damn good but he just didn't love the game.

NewYorkNoPicks
Kwame Brown actually said many years ago he doesn't really care about basketball; it's just a way for him to make a living. Not surprising right? lol

christian1923
I think they all like Basketball but they all don't care about winning.

or its just about being great till you get that big paycheck.

I met a guy at my college who told me his goal was to be a first round bust :oldlol: :facepalm

Math2
07-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I was watching a high school tryout, and the best player on the floor got cut because he wasn't caring or really trying. You have to be crazy talented to make it if you just don't care.

LikeABosh
07-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Man, some dudes just waste their natural, physical abilities. What separates the good from the great are the players who have all the natural talents, and are dedicated and love the game, like Jordan, Lebron, Magic etc

FreezingTsmoove
07-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Or maybe he hates practicing and working out? I mean who hates a good 5 on 5 b-ball game :confusedshrug:

DuMa
http://www.diehardsport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Darko.gif

HardwoodLegend
T-Mac wanted to be a baseball player more than anything. Basketball wasn't his first love, and you can tell he obviously gets tired of it at times.

I met a guy at my college who told me his goal was to be a first round bust :oldlol: :facepalm

I would love to be a 1st round bust as well. A player who gets his weak squad to a Game 7 every time and averaging 39.3 PPG, 8.3 RPG and 8.0 APG with great individual perimeter defense backed by a weak interior.

I don't know why, but I love that mystique of the superstar who falls short and gets an undeserved stigma.

noosaman
07-23-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm sure there's plenty of guys who don't love the sport who are in the NBA. It's like that in everything in life. I'm in medicine and there's people who have no interest in it who are doctors and went through all the bullshit to get through med school + residency.

Overdrive
07-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Don't know if Rodman or Avery Johnson said it, but paraphrasing it. One of them said iirc, David Robinson only played basketball, because he could and not because he wanted to.

ThaRegul8r
07-23-2012, 06:31 PM

/End rant

Plenty of players don't really care about the game. It's just a job to some people. The amount of money to be made is a good motivator to work very hard, but it's still just a job for some.

I came here to say this. While to us it's a game we played at one point or still do play (depending on how old you are and what stage in life you're at), to them it's a job. Period. It's the means by which they earn money and make a living. Are you telling me that everyone loves their jobs? A job that happens to pay higher than most and gives you a level of fame greater than most is still a job. And as with any profession, you will have people who don't like their job. And what exactly would some of these players do if they weren't playing basketball? Many people see sports as their way to "make it," because it isn't as if they have a whole lot of other options (or so they perceive it as being the case). Doesn't mean you have to like it or enjoy it.

TDownpour
07-23-2012, 06:48 PM
First relevent player I thought of is Bynum

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 06:49 PM
T-Mac wanted to be a baseball player more than anything. Basketball wasn't his first love, and you can tell he obviously gets tired of it at times.

I would love to be a 1st round bust as well. A player who gets his weak squad to a Game 7 every time and averaging 39.3 PPG, 8.3 RPG and 8.0 APG with great individual perimeter defense backed by a weak interior.

I don't know why, but I love that mystique of the superstar who falls short and gets an undeserved stigma.

I remember watching him (TMAC) at a haftime interview say " He never touches a basketball during the offseason"...Sam Mitchell once said about TMAC..."he has the worst work ethic I ever seen.....he will be outta the league in 2years" (when TMAC was in Toronto)

can't find the links...but 4 sho happened.....the man pretty much relied on pure physical talent..

sad really.

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Threads like these are why I think people here have no lives. There is no way that a person would spend hundreds of thousands of hours practicing something if they didn't love it, outside of having abusive and controlling parents. Everyone in the NBA likes playing basketball, they may get fed up with what comes along with the NBA gig, but actually playing basketball?

Come on guys.

HardwoodLegend
07-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I remember watching him (TMAC) at a haftime interview say " He never touches a basketball during the offseason"...Sam Mitchell once said about TMAC..."he has the worst work ethic I ever seen.....he will be outta the league in 2years" (when TMAC was in Toronto)

can't find the links...but 4 sho happened.....the man pretty much relied on pure physical talent..

sad really.

Yeah it is sad. I'm the guy's biggest fan, and I feel cheated for not having seen everything he truly had to offer. But, hey, it's his life.

I find it remarkable though how good of a pull-up jumper he had '00-03. He just seemed to have that natural touch and feel for the game to go along with his physical athleticism. As his shooting faded, he seemed to develop even more court vision with his facilitation in Houston.

ThaRegul8r
07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Threads like these are why I think people here have no lives. There is no way that a person would spend hundreds of thousands of hours practicing something if they didn't love it, outside of having abusive and controlling parents.

It's a way to make more money than they ever would have the opportunity to do otherwise. What part of that is difficult to understand?

What else are some of these people going to do other than play basketball?

And yet you still have people who actually made it but screwed up, and now they're broke after their careers are over when they and their future descendents should be set for life.

:coleman:

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 07:02 PM
It's a way to make more money than they ever would have the opportunity to do otherwise. What part of that is difficult to understand?

What else are some of these people going to do other than play basketball?

And yet you still have people who actually made it but screwed up, and now they're broke after their careers are over when they and their future descendents should be set for life.

Do you realize how careers like playing in the NBA works? Outside of a couple examples, these guys have been perfecting their craft for their entire lives?

You make it seem like they just chose to do it at 18 or something.

ripthekik
07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
The love pushed them to the game, but after all this time, I wouldn't be surprised. It's a job afterall.. especially practice, working out, I can see why people wouldn't like that. When you're being paid to do smth, and the pressure and expectations lie on you, sometimes you just can't enjoy it in a carefree manner anymore. It's about trying to satisfy your employee and earning that next big pay check.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Threads like these are why I think people here have no lives. There is no way that a person would spend hundreds of thousands of hours practicing something if they didn't love it, outside of having abusive and controlling parents. Everyone in the NBA likes playing basketball, they may get fed up with what comes along with the NBA gig, but actually playing basketball?

Come on guys.

:facepalm ..

no way guy's like Bynum , Kwame and TMAC spent 100,000 hours practicing...

say you practice 1 hour every day ( 7 hours per week) for 6 month's(witch TMAC I know for sure said he doesn't work at all on his game during the offseason) ..that's only 180 hours a year.....1,800 hours over a 10 year career...

I would be shocked if TMAC or Kwame put more then 2 hour per week average of practice thrughout thier career's....(barely 500 hours over a 10 year span)

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Do you realize how careers like playing in the NBA works? Outside of a couple examples, these guys have been perfecting their craft for their entire lives?

You make it seem like they just chose to do it at 18 or something.

:lol maybe some or most athletes or BBAll players do.....many do not spend time to perec thier skill...they rely on thier naturual ability only. (bieng taller/faster)

example : If Shaq was 5'10 instead of 7'1...he would be on the side of the freeway pouring concrete.

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
:facepalm ..

no way guy's like Bynum , Kwame and TMAC spent 100,000 hours practicing...

say you practice 1 hour every day ( 7 hours per week) for 6 month's(witch TMAC I know for sure said he doesn't work at all on his game during the offseason) ..that's only 180 hours a year.....1,800 hours over a 10 year career...

I would be shocked if TMAC or Kwame put more then 2 hour per week average of practice thrughout thier career's....(barely 500 hours over a 10 year span)

Who is this T-mac you keep referring to? Because it cannot be Tracy Mcgrady who is still effective sans athleticism.

Think before you post please.

This is just another thread where we can see who's actually played ball here and who hasn't.

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 07:18 PM
:lol maybe some or most athletes or BBAll players do.....many do not spend time to perec thier skill...they rely on thier naturual ability only. (bieng taller/faster)

example : If Shaq was 5'10 instead of 7'1...he would be on the side of the freeway pouring concrete.

Every athlete takes advantage of their above average athleticism and/or size, don't penalize Shaq for it. Regardless, Shaq had skills he didn't just rely on being taller/faster than other players.:facepalm

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Every athlete takes advantage of their above average athleticism and/or size, don't penalize Shaq for it. Regardless, Shaq had skills he didn't just rely on being taller/faster than other players.:facepalm

yes...yes he did.....

you think Shaq had a developed skillset?...through perfecting his technique over countless hours of practice??....he had a turnaround baby hook shot.....that's it.

he dominated with size and strength.....couldn't shoot....dribble and had basic footwork.....

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 07:21 PM
yes...yes he did.
Shaq had post moves and was still effective right up until his retirement, he didn't rely on his size or speed to make moves. He had an extremely effective post game as well. It's clear that you are trolling so bye.

HardwoodLegend
07-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Who is this T-mac you keep referring to? Because it cannot be Tracy Mcgrady who is still effective sans athleticism.

This is just another thread where we can see who's actually played ball here and who hasn't.

A huge reason T-Mac is still effective sans athleticism is his underrated basketball IQ, something that isn't really honed through hours of practice. He simply has a natural gift for the game.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 07:28 PM

still effective??......the man went from droppin 30 PPG to taking barely taking 5 FG once his athleticism dropped...proving my point.

Wade and Kobe were still premiere players at 30 years old....TMAC was already done at 29

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 07:29 PM
A huge reason T-Mac is still effective sans athleticism is his underrated basketball IQ, something that isn't really honed through hours of practice. He simply has a natural gift for the game.
Do you really think that basketball IQ is some static fixture that cannot be improved? Were you saying that T-mac was a high IQ player during his early days in Toronto?

still effective??......the man went from droppin 30 PPG to taking barely taking 5 FG once his athleticism dropped...proving my point.

Wade and Kobe were still premiere players at 30 years old....TMAC was already done at 29

When did Shaq lose his athleticism again? Because he was losing it even when he was a Laker so...

T-mac had major injuries, that's not even fair.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Shaq had post moves and was still effective right up until his retirement, he didn't rely on his size or speed to make moves. He had an extremely effective post game as well. It's clear that you are trolling so bye.

it's clear you have hardly watched Shaq's career and probably don't even play organized basketball...

Shaq had no game 5'from the hoop...

StateOfMind12
07-23-2012, 07:31 PM

sad really.
I'm one of the biggest Tmac haters ever but I heard and I'm pretty sure he actually works and practices on his individual skills. He just didn't care and messed around a lot when it came to team practices and team drills. He was just a bad leader that never set the tone for his teammates to follow.

There is no question that he gets tired of playing basketball though, hence why he is so unmotivated, lazy, and such a careless player. As that one guy said, Tmac's first love is baseball anyways and I remember in like 2007 he said that he planned on retiring in 2010 to pursue a baseball career. It looks like that never happened considering how he is still in the NBA sitting out every other game due to some petty injury and getting knocked out of the 1st round every post-season.

What comes around goes around.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm one of the biggest Tmac haters ever but I heard and I'm pretty sure he actually works and practices on his individual skills. He just didn't care and messed around a lot when it came to team practices and team drills. He was just a bad leader that never set the tone for his teammates to follow.

There is no question that he gets tired of playing basketball though, hence why he is so unmotivated, lazy, and such a careless player. As that one guy said, Tmac's first love is baseball anyways and I remember in like 2007 he said that he planned on retiring in 2010 to pursue a baseball career. It looks like that never happened considering how he is still in the NBA sitting out every other game due to some petty injury and knocked out of the 1st round every season.

What comes around goes around.

I'm sure he does during the season....but with 2 - 3 games per week/ team practices how many hours do you think he worked on his individual game?

during the offseason he said he rarely touches a basketball if any.

insidehoops
07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
yes...yes he did.....

you think Shaq had a developed skillset?...through perfecting his technique over countless hours of practice??....he had a turnaround baby hook shot.....that's it.

Every NBA center I've talked to about this over the years disagrees with you

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 07:36 PM
can you ban this dude for once?

SilkkTheShocker
07-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Come on guys.

Your post was so shitty its needs its own diaper. Being atheltic isn't a choice. People are blessed with some of these phyical skills. Do you honestly believe people with atheltic gifts like Vince Carter wouldn't be pushed to play basketball and work their ass off? Its deeper than just their parents. Scouts, school figure, etc all play a hand. I have a hard time believing guys like Darko Milicic, Kwame Brown, and the late Eddie Griffin loved the game.

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Your post was so shitty its needs its own diaper. Being atheltic isn't a choice. People are blessed with some of these phyical skills. Do you honestly believe people with atheltic gifts like Vince Carter wouldn't be pushed to play basketball and work their ass off? Its deeper than just their parents. Scouts, school figure, etc all play a hand. I have a hard time believing guys like Darko Milicic, Kwame Brown, and the late Eddie Griffin loved the game.
What world do you live in where people are routinely forced or coercered into developing their talents to point of being the best in the world at what they do?

At a certain point, you will have to love what you are doing or else you will quit. Do you really think Vince Carter doesn't like basketball? If you do, you are slow as molasses.

People don't choose their genetics and how athletic they are but the damn sure have to choose whether or not to take advantage of those said "gifts".

StateOfMind12
07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
I believe every NBA player had a love of the game at some point with the exception 7 footers. There are plenty of 7 footers that are pretty much playing just to guard and foul other bigs like Dwight Howard, Shaq, etc. and not really do anything else. It's just a job to them and easy job at that to make millions of dollars or close to it.

I also believe that there are plenty of NBA players that have lost their love and passion for their game like both Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady more than likely did but they more than likely had a passion for at some point.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
can you ban this dude for once?

Mad.

next

SilkkTheShocker
07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
What world do you live in where people are routinely forced or coercered into developing their talents to point of being the best in the world at what they do?

At a certain point, you will have to love what you are doing or else you will quit. Do you really think Vince Carter doesn't like basketball? If you do, you are slow as molasses.

People don't choose their genetics and how athletic they are but the damn sure have to choose whether or not to take advantage of those said "gifts".

Here in the real world there is a great amount of pressure on these gifted athletes. Do think the parents of someone that has the talents of Vince Carter are going to let them sit around and play xbox, just because thats what makes them happy? Bullshit. These kids/young adults are pressured into working their asses off. Whether it be parents, coaches, scouts, etc. Im not sure what they do in Candyland, but here it frowned upon letting elite atheltic gifts go to waste. And I also think you forgot about the whole thing about being paid millions of dollars to dribble a basketball.

G-train
07-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Not many posters have a good grasp on what it takes to become even a good college player or international professional, let alone an NBA professional. Let alone an NBA star. Literally no idea of what is requires.
They have a firm grasp of something else though.

BlueCrayon
07-23-2012, 08:01 PM
:facepalm There is no way you are making the NBA if you only practice an average of 1 hour per day. Some people really do not understand how hard it is to get to the level of an NBA player.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 08:02 PM

I was reffering to the mindset of "Loving the game so much that you spend countless of hours to correct your mistakes and turn weakness'es into strongpoints of your game"...

clearly Shaq never did this....he was the same player throughout his career...

he never developed a midrange game.....he never corrected his Freethrow shooting..he never developed a consistent 15' outside shot as other great C's did in his era....(Dream ,Rob , Ming , Ewing, Garnett , Duncan etc)..he was by far the Strongest/Biggest (outside of Ming) and relied mainly on those qualities.

Replay32
07-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Not many posters have a good grasp on what it takes to become even a good college player or international professional, let alone an NBA professional. Let alone an NBA star. Literally no idea of what is requires.
They have a firm grasp of something else though.

This. :applause:

Replay32
07-23-2012, 08:03 PM
:facepalm There is no way you are making the NBA if you only practice an average of 1 hour per day. Some people really do not understand how hard it is to get to the level of an NBA player.

:applause:

Replay32
07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
I was reffering to the mindset of "Loving the game so much that you spend countless of hours to correct your mistakes and turn weakness'es into strongpoints of your game"...

clearly Shaq never did this....he was the same player throughout his career...

he never developed a midrange game.....he never corrected his Freethrow shooting..he never developed a consistent 15' outside shot as other great C's did in his era....(Dream ,Rob , Ming , Ewing, Garnett , Duncan etc)..he was by far the Strongest/Biggest (outside of Ming) and relied mainly on those qualities.

You sound ignorant

G-train
07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Man, some dudes just waste their natural, physical abilities. What separates the good from the great are the players who have all the natural talents, and are dedicated and love the game, like Jordan, Lebron, Magic etc

This is correct sometimes, but not always. No one is born a basketball player.
People are a born with athletic genetics. This does not mean that their mind or environment will be in unison with that, and it shouldn't be frowned upon if it isn't.
Basketball in essence is a game. A sport. It's almost an afterthought when you are older. Sure its a good 10-20 years of fun. What about the other 60? Shouldn't your one chance on the planet have more meaning than playing a sport?
I don't blame guys for drifting out of the NBA to things that hold more meaning that playing a game.

RazorBaLade
07-23-2012, 08:10 PM
what some of you guys are describing with work ethic isnt loving the game. its being a psychopath.

hoopaddict08
07-23-2012, 08:11 PM

Let's make a top earners salary $100,000 and let's see how many hours they put into improving their game to become the best. Not everyone has love for the game. There are players in this league that are in it for the money. That's not saying they hate the sport, but their love of making millions of dollars drives them to become the very best.

I have a friend who was teaching guitar lessons 5 years ago. Made barely $20,000 a year. He is now working for an insurance company and making almost $400,000 a year. He told me a couple days ago he hates selling insurance. His love is for music but it's the money that has been driving him to become better and better at what he does. His goal is to be making a million annually.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 08:11 PM
You sound ignorant

wh?..because I said Shaq relied mostly on his physical talent and never eally corrected his weakness'es??..

I'm def not the first person to echo this..

- I'm surprised so many are shocked at that really.

G-train
07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
wh?..because I said Shaq relied mostly on his physical talent and never eally corrected his weakness'es??..

I'm def not the first person to echo this..

- I'm surprised so many are shocked at that really.

This is false, and is echoed by people with zero knowledge of basketball.

He was criticized for his physical conditioning at times, but Shaq's game from high school until the Lakers was constantly growing via hard work and countless hours of practice.

You are very far from the truth.

madmax17
07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Kwame Brown, basically sold himself by challenging MJ who bought it, great marketing by him, probably worked on his game less then any other NBA player from 1990 till today. Loathes basketball imo

SevereUpInHere
07-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Go read Andre Agassi's biography and you'll change your mind on this sentiment.

"I play tennis for a living, even though I hate tennis, hate it with a dark and secret passion, and always have."

What would Vince Carter do if he gave up basketball? What other opportunity would he have to make anything more than a standard decent living? Most people don't love their jobs.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Kwame Brown, basically sold himself by challenging MJ who bought it, great marketing by him, probably worked on his game less then any other NBA player from 1990 till today. Loathes basketball imo

No way!!!.....I thout he worked countless of hours honing his game....late nights by himself shooting until the sun went down......

bieng 7' 220 lbs of muscle had nothing to do with it IMO....neither did the $2,000,000's

(sarcasm turned off)

hoopaddict08
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Wrong. He loves basketball.Worked countless hours improving his game the only thing that stopped him:
http://www.ablogtoread.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/bk_tinyhands.jpg

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Go read Andre Agassi's biography and you'll change your mind on this sentiment.

"I play tennis for a living, even though I hate tennis, hate it with a dark and secret passion, and always have."

What would Vince Carter do if he gave up basketball? What other opportunity would he have to make anything more than a standard decent living? Most people don't love their jobs.

Thanks for the insight I guess. I think I should start prefacing everything I say with the "overwhelming majority of whatever I'm discussing" from now on. If he hated Tennis then whatever. I don't believe that one person could practice for so many hours before they know they will ever get a shot at making the big bucks like almost all athletes do, when they hate the sport. That has to be an anomaly.

These careers are the furthest thing away from guaranteed, so at some point they had to love the game. The chances of being a professional athlete are so slim, I don't see why someone would slave away when they hate the sport. It makes no sense unless they were being forced to.

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Let's make a top earners salary $100,000 and let's see how many hours they put into improving their game to become the best. Not everyone has love for the game. There are players in this league that are in it for the money. That's not saying they hate the sport, but their love of making millions of dollars drives them to become the very best.

I have a friend who was teaching guitar lessons 5 years ago. Made barely $20,000 a year. He is now working for an insurance company and making almost $400,000 a year. He told me a couple days ago he hates selling insurance. His love is for music but it's the money that has been driving him to become better and better at what he does. His goal is to be making a million annually.

So I read this and I appreciate the response, but what was your thought process before/during this post?

There is a huge difference between choosing to work for an insurance company and trying to make the NBA. The odds are just a wee bit slimmer, so much so that your example doesn't hold weight. The way you phrased your story made it seem like your friend didn't take much of a risk at all. Seems like the odds of him getting a gig like that were way higher than the odds of someone making the NBA.

We're talking about like 1- maybe 500 for that job versus 1- multiple million for being an NBA player.

NuggetsFan
07-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Odds may be slimmer to the make the NBA but let's remember were not talking about the average human here. Not a 5'11 white kid with no athletic ability. Were talking about guy's who have elite athletic ability that puts them into a category with very few. Vince Carter at 16 was probably like woah I'm athletic as shit and naturally gifted at basketball. People around him probably said the exact same thing. He obviously had to work extremely hard but it's not like he had zero chance of getting to the NBA, alot of these players at 16 year old realize they have a realistic shot at the very least of playing D1 basketball on a full ride.

Perfecting a craft that you already have a massive advantage over others leads you to bigger things. A full ride to a good education. A chance to make millions. Not saying VC or any of these guy's don't love the game but it's no different than a really smart kid going I want to be rich so I'm going to study my ass off to get a high paying job that I probably won't end up liking.

Some treat it as a job at some point in their career, no denying that.

Punpun
07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah. Bynum is one example.

ihoopallday
07-23-2012, 09:06 PM
It's like banging the same chick all the time. Gets old after a while.

RaininTwos
07-23-2012, 09:09 PM
ISH, where people pretend that everyone hates their jobs just because they are successful.

Carter, T-mac could have lived off their athleticism but they chose to develop COMPLETE games and are top 100 of all time. Kwame Brown felt the pressure of being the number one pick and starting breaking out. He didn't sit back saying "Ah, I've made it".

Like I said prior, most NBA players have been playing since they were little. I've heard Wade say that after he saw Jordan switch hands against the Magic he went outside and practiced that for hours. People who are passionate about the game do that. It's not like these players know at early ages that they will be NBA players because of their superior athleticism.

Very few NBA players hit their teens and just "decide" to play basketball professionally. That's ridiculous.

Now I'm saying that it is impossible to fall out of love with the game, but the vast majority of people didn't get here just because they are chasing money.

Eat Like A Bosh
07-23-2012, 09:57 PM
It's definitely possible to dislike something even though you're good at it.

Vice versa, it's possible for someone to suck at something he loves.

I'm pretty sure there are players who have money has their main motivator, not the love of the game. Not a lot of them though