PDA

View Full Version : Has Michael Jordan ever said who was the best player he ever went up against?

1987_Lakers
07-23-2012, 06:23 PM
My guess would be Larry Bird, he had alot of success against young MJ.

fpliii
07-23-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty interested in this. It would also be nice if someone compiled lists from books/interviews of all-time greats revealing the top guys they went against, as well as their top 5 or so all-time (not sure if that's been done).

andgar923
07-23-2012, 06:29 PM

In what aspect?

I think he's given tons of praise to Mitch and even Blacman in the past. He's always held Bird to a great standard as well. He's also given props to some of the great defenders he's faced as well.

AlphaWolf24
07-23-2012, 06:55 PM

BAck in the dey I know he said Mitch Richmond was the hardest to guard:confusedshrug:

but after Kooobe dropped 42 points on him in 1 1/2 quarters...you know it's #24

tmacattack33
07-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Probably Bird or Magic.

But it wouldn't be too surprising if he said that he most hated playing against Penny Hardaway.

He's the only guy (well Shaq too obviously, but Shaq and MJ weren't guarding each other ever) to knock MJ out in that whole 7 year span in the 90's.

And MJ once said that he'd feel comfortable passing the torch onto Penny.

DFish
07-23-2012, 07:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/A7XSl.jpg

Faptastrophe
07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Your reading comprehension skills are bad and you should feel bad.

b1imtf
07-23-2012, 07:06 PM

I think a lot of guys could've been there, if they had Kobe's work ethic

NugzHeat3
07-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I've never seen him outright say who was the best player he ever played against. I know on the subject of the best player of all time, he's usually reluctant to say so citing that he never played against all the great players and that he isn't into comparing players from different eras.

I'm sure people have read about his personal Dream Team but just in case somebody hasn't, you get an idea of who he respects the most from the guys he played against.

MRS: Michael, I'm now giving you the opportunity to create the Dream Team of Michael Jordan, of all players of basketball. You're on the team, and you can name four other guys at different positions. That doesn't mean there aren't 20 other great guys for those positions, but you can explain your picks.

JORDAN: That's a very good question. It's going to be somewhat biased because I didn't play back in the days of Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, some of the great stars prior to me. And it's very tough because I'm friends with a lot of players today.

But if I had to pick a center, I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.

Power forward: There's James Worthy, whom I love, and he is a North Carolina guy. Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, whom I adore and is a good friend, and Charles Oakley. But in terms again of versatility, it has to be Larry Bird. The things he could provide to you all around: his demeanor, his work ethic and his versatility once again.

(continued from page 5)

The idea here is I would build a versatile, multitalented team able to do so many different things. When the defense comes at you, they have to guard a lot of different areas, and that makes Larry Bird the choice for me.

Small forward: That is the toughest part because I played with one of the best small forwards, Scottie Pippen. He is as versatile as it comes. He handles the ball. He's a good defensive rebounder. I would be hard-pressed to pick someone else at the small forward position, even though I know Dr. J [Julius Erving] is sitting right there, too, especially in terms of excitement. And there's Dominique Wilkins, too. And you'd have to think about Elgin Baylor, even though I never saw Baylor play, or played with him. But from what I know, and what he could provide, it's Scottie Pippen. I know that's being biased to some degree. But I can't help it.

Point guard: That's easy. Magic Johnson. Because of his height, you'd have a tough time defending him. It's a beautiful thing to see a 6-foot 9-inch guy rebound the ball and start the break.

It would be the all-time tallest team, putting me at the two guard. And coming off the bench would be Jerry West to replace me. I love Jerry West.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/One-on-One-with-Michael-Jordan_6189/p/6

If I was to take a guess, based on having seen various interviews, collection of Jordan quotes I have, it could be any of Magic, Larry or Hakeem.

Da_Realist
07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
His respect for Bird has always been sky high.

Round Mound
07-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Bird

"Larry I Hear You Are Retiring...Thank Goodness...Im Tired of Seeing Your Face...Since You Ruined Alot of My Succesfull Games Against The Boston Celtics...."

tobethdope
07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
i believe he once said he cudn

9erempiree
07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
He once said Kobe was very hard for him to guard and him and Pippen were trying to contain his youthful energy.

He also said once he was trying to focus playing defense on Kobe so Kobe wouldn't dominate him.

You can find that in a post game press conference when he used the term "dominate" about Kobe.

It's on youtube.

Indian guy
07-23-2012, 08:22 PM
I have pretty much read every MJ book there is, and I don't think he's ever answered that question. Or even been asked that question on record. The question that was often asked to him was who guarded him best.

DatAsh
07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
He once said Kobe was very hard for him to guard and him and Pippen were trying to contain his youthful energy.

He also said once he was trying to focus playing defense on Kobe so Kobe wouldn't dominate him.

You can find that in a post game press conference when he used the term "dominate" about Kobe.

It's on youtube.

Didn't you say in another thread that you aren't a Kobe fan?

Nick Young
07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
BAck in the dey I know he said Mitch Richmond was the hardest to guard:confusedshrug:

man that was embarrassing, Kobe shook MJ into retiring:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

andgar923
07-23-2012, 08:46 PM
I'ma go with Bird as well, he was just hard to guard, almost impossible at times. But aside from his scoring abilities, he dominated from other aspects as well.

If there's a player that I would say is the GOAt aside from MJ, it would have to be Bird, hands down. Not because MJ admires him so much, but because he was a BAD man. One would have to be a bad man to do what he did, with the limited physical attributes that he had.

Think about how good one would have to be when everybody jumps higher, is faster, and more agile... yet... you drop 40 on they ass like it's nothing.

embersyc
07-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Well I dont know if you can believe everything on Wikipedia, but Joe Dumars page has this:

According to Jordan, Dumars was the best defender he faced in the NBA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dumars

andgar923
07-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Well I dont know if you can believe everything on Wikipedia, but Joe Dumars page has this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dumars

That's 'defender' not 'player'.

We all know that Dumars is the best defender he faced.

scandisk_
07-23-2012, 09:34 PM
I'ma go with Bird as well, he was just hard to guard, almost impossible at times. But aside from his scoring abilities, he dominated from other aspects as well.

If there's a player that I would say is the GOAt aside from MJ, it would have to be Bird, hands down. Not because MJ admires him so much, but because he was a BAD man. One would have to be a bad man to do what he did, with the limited physical attributes that he had.

Think about how good one would have to be when everybody jumps higher, is faster, and more agile... yet... you drop 40 on they ass like it's nothing.

This. Larry Legend cannot be shook. If there's someone whom I think gave MJ nightmares (I'm exaggerating) it's Larry.

@andgar

Totally agree on the bolded part that's why we MJ fans give Bird a loooooot of respect.

Timmy D for MVP
07-23-2012, 10:41 PM
I always get the impression that the best player on the floor with him was his own teammate. I think he regards Pippen as the best beside him.

Other than that... I have no clue. I can't remember off the top of my head anyone being his definitive opponent. He battled with a few guys but I'm not sure.

I'd like Mike to write a book, and just let it all at.

1987_Lakers
07-23-2012, 11:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RVMJSCTj5Y

Round Mound
07-24-2012, 12:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RVMJSCTj5Y

Last Minutes Bird as Cold as Dry Ice :applause: :bowdown:

*Look at the Ball Boy (to the left) Every Time Bird Scores at the End 2:20 and Forth

Jax
07-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Jordan retired so he wouldn't face LBJ, The King.

Kovach
07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty interested in this. It would also be nice if someone compiled lists from books/interviews of all-time greats revealing the top guys they went against, as well as their top 5 or so all-time (not sure if that's been done).
Great idea for the thread.

Latest one I heard (not coming from an all-time great but from a very good player about a very good player regardless) was Chambers saying before the start of the 89 conference finals that Worthy was the toughest matchup for him defensively in the league. He was talking about how little credit he gets and said something along the lines of "Green was voted into the All-Defensive Second Team, but you wont see him on me tonight."

Crown&Coke
07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
he said whenever he went up against Dumars, he had to tie his shoes a little tighter. he knew he would have to battle for every inch

get these NETS
07-24-2012, 02:00 PM
great thread

great excerpt from Jordan interview also

dream, pip.bird,jordan, magic

=============

Gotta call "bull" on Jordan's answers though...if that's his full answer...unedited

Bird was a bad bad man...but I read the Dream Team book...and I think both Michale and Magic go out of their way to praise Bird.
They saw how anything close to criticizing/belittling Bird brings instant backlash a la Isiah Thomas, so they go overboard the opposite way.

In the book, the writer..a Bird dick-holder if there ever was one, even mentions Mike giving Bird credit for things he didn't do..when MJ is recalling the greatest game nobody ever saw

it's a smart move..endears him to older white hoops fans who identified with Bird because he was a great white player, but it sounds like complete bullshit
he mentions "work ethic" for Bird but for no other player....so he's clearly playing to that crowd...

==================================================

I'd have to say, in answering as a fan.....reggie miller is the only guy to even remotely rattle Jordan

certain the tapes have been destroyed but Mike beat up Reggie Miller on the court one day after Miller had been making shots and talking WILD shit to him

Miller CLEARLY didn't have 1/10 the game that Jordan had...but I think mentally..and talking the talk and walking the walk...for about a 4 year stretch he gave as good as he got to MJ

---------------------------------------------------------------

regular season..probably Mitch Richmond for maybe 3 year period....

Mitch was legitimately in top 3 shooting guards in the league during that time..strong.....had shooting range...just a difficult cover

madmax17
07-24-2012, 02:01 PM
I also remember he mentioned Dumars as the toughest player to play against, tough on defense, smart and good offensive player as well.

Kobe 4 The Win
07-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I hope people that shit on Bird because he's white take this thread seriously. And no it's not just MJ kissing his ass because he wanted to appeal to older white fans. MJ knew what a bad muthaf**ka Larry Bird was.

bizil
07-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I think in terms of the best SG he played against during his prime, I would think it would have to be Clyde or Mitch. Dumars I'm sure made him work probably the hardest to get his shot. Mitch I feel had the most complete scoring skillset he ran into. And Clyde was the closest thing to himself when it came to combining freak athletic ability, alpha dog scoring, and great all around play at the SG. For me I would say Clyde.

But in terms of the guy who MJ said he looked forward to competing against the most, he used to say Nique all the time. Watch the old school MJ VHS videos and many times he said Nique was the guy he used to get hype for the most. If anything, it was because Nique was the closest thing to MJ in terms of being a dominant freak athlete scoring machine. During that time, MJ, Nique, and Bird were the premier perimeter scorers in the L. King was right there, but injuries kept him from being there consistently. But the manner in which Nique and MJ scored put them on a level all to themselves in that era.

When it comes to flat out the best player regardless of position, it's gotta be Bird or Magic. Flip a coin! But I think MJ felt his biggest threats on the perimiter were Bird, Magic, Nique, Isiah, and Drexler.

StarJordan
07-24-2012, 10:28 PM
payton and penny hardaway when jordan was older

IGotACoolStory
07-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Wouldn't shock me if it's some random dude in college or some guy back in high school that never made it big time for one reason or another.

As already brought up, it would be interesting to see what other players have said on this subject.

Kidd said Jordan
Russell said Wilt
Walton said Kareem
Bird said Jordan
Magic said Bird

Da_Realist
07-24-2012, 11:23 PM
great thread

=============

Gotta call "bull" on Jordan's answers though...if that's his full answer...unedited

Bird was a bad bad man...but I read the Dream Team book...and I think both Michale and Magic go out of their way to praise Bird.
They saw how anything close to criticizing/belittling Bird brings instant backlash a la Isiah Thomas, so they go overboard the opposite way.

In the book, the writer..a Bird dick-holder if there ever was one, even mentions Mike giving Bird credit for things he didn't do..when MJ is recalling the greatest game nobody ever saw

it's a smart move..endears him to older white hoops fans who identified with Bird because he was a great white player, but it sounds like complete bullshit
he mentions "work ethic" for Bird but for no other player....so he's clearly playing to that crowd...

I'd have to say, in answering as a fan.....reggie miller is the only guy to even remotely rattle Jordan

certain the tapes have been destroyed but Mike beat up Reggie Miller on the court one day after Miller had been making shots and talking WILD shit to him

Miller CLEARLY didn't have 1/10 the game that Jordan had...but I think mentally..and talking the talk and walking the walk...for about a 4 year stretch he gave as good as he got to MJ

Mitch was legitimately in top 3 shooting guards in the league during that time..strong.....had shooting range...just a difficult cover

:oldlol: at Reggie. Dude didn't even get out of the first round until after MJ retired the first time.

Alan Ogg
07-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Once heard Jordan say that Alvin Robertson was the person who guarded him best, but I don't know, Jordan always torched his teams when they played.

no pun intended
07-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Clyde Drexler was a pretty good matchup to Jordan.

andgar923
07-25-2012, 12:17 AM
great thread

=============

I doubt Mj was pandering. He's always praised him and brought up his name in situations in which he didn't have to do so. I mean, all we gotta do is go back and look at Bird's numbers vs MJ to see how he fared. Bird's teams used to beat the Bulls and Bird was killing any and everybody that they put on him, YES including he and Pip. And Mj for whatever reason has always been extremely fond of West as well, not sure how or why but he's praised him numerous times, even stating that West is the guy that he wished he played against more than anybody else (that he didn't get a chance to).

Linspired
07-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Clyde Drexler was a pretty good matchup to Jordan.

they played each other 17 times in regular season.

MJ had 34.5/7.1/6.1 .479%
drexler 23.5/6.7/5.8 .485%

in the playoffs

MJ
35.8/4.8/6.5 .526%

drexler
24.8/7.8/5.3 .407%

i guess it was good match up. still MJ clearly was superior, and drexler is delusional thinking that he was equal to MJ.

WockaVodka
07-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Larry Jordan, his brother.

TheBigVeto
08-29-2012, 09:00 PM

http://oi53.tinypic.com/34rtwyh.jpg

NumberSix
08-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Classic battles.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ij2vpYX61rredhno1_500.jpg

Clifton
08-29-2012, 09:42 PM
His dream team is dope. I seriously want to say it would be the best possible combination of 6 players anyone could come up with. Pippen and Bird as the forwards is brilliant. The versatility and the chemistry would be sky-high. West as 6th man... dope.

I would have named a different six but after reading that interview I'd go with his.

Pointguard
08-29-2012, 09:54 PM
He didn't like Magic because he once said that Magic was down with Isiah in isolating him in that all star game. But it obvious by his talk about the Dream Team practice battles that he felt these were the best competitive games he's played in. It well known as to why. So the answer is Magic but he will never vocalize it that way.

eliteballer
08-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Jordan always seems to talk about Magic Bird and Hakeem in a more revered tone than the others.