PDA

View Full Version : Hornets will be Solid This Year.

Duderonomy
07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I think they did a much better job this off season than Phoenix,Portland,houston,ect. Building a really good core.

PG-Austin Rivers
SG-Eric Gordon
SF-Ryan Anderson
PF-Anthony Davis
C-Robin Lopez

Will have to see how the bench plays before i say they make the 8th seed. I like Xarvier Henry and Lance Thomas tho. Resigning Landry is a big if, he would have to share mins with Davis and Anderson.

DuMa
07-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Ryan Anderson doesnt have a true position in the NBA. he just chucks 3s. putting him at 3 is asking for trouble

Grinder
07-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Love the way they're shaping up their core but they're not going anywhere with Austin Rivers as their starting point guard or Ryan Anderson as a small forward.

I think they need to find a legit point guard and versatile small forward to round out their starting lineup.

kennethgriffin
07-26-2012, 06:10 PM
worst record in the nba

IGotACoolStory
07-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Gordon will get injured again and then Rivers wins rookie of the year. 19 ppg on 25 shots at 27% shooting.

EricGordon23
07-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Love the way they're shaping up their core but they're not going anywhere with Austin Rivers as their starting point guard or Ryan Anderson as a small forward.

I think they need to find a legit point guard and versatile small forward to round out their starting lineup.

WHat about AL farooq Aminu at SF? He looked pretty good towards the end of the season.

kennethgriffin
07-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Gordon will get injured again and then Rivers wins rookie of the year. 19 ppg on 25 shots at 27% shooting.

davis will average 16pts/10reb/3blocks on the year with 60% fg's from all dunks and putbacks.

pretty sure he'l win ROY

BlackVVaves
07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
OP, you think they are good enough to grab the 8th seed?

I'm very interested to hear the 7 teams you think will miss the playoffs in the West.

Xiao Yao You
07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I think they did a much better job this off season than Phoenix,Portland,houston,ect. Building a really good core.

PG-Austin Rivers
SG-Eric Gordon
SF-Ryan Anderson
PF-Anthony Davis
C-Robin Lopez

Will have to see how the bench plays before i say they make the 8th seed. I like Xarvier Henry and Lance Thomas tho. Resigning Landry is a big if, he would have to share mins with Davis and Anderson.

Eric Gordon will have to be healthy before you say anything.

Levity
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Ryan Anderson can play the 3???

KG215
07-26-2012, 06:25 PM
I really do not like the makeup of that starting lineup. Like Grinder said, Rivers is not a PG and Anderson will get destroyed defensively playing SF. They get a legit PG and SF, though, and have Anderson and Rivers as their 6th and 7th men, then you've got something. I really think Rivers can flourish in an instant offense 6th man role.

EricGordon23
07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I really do not like the makeup of that starting lineup. Like Grinder said, Rivers is not a PG and Anderson will get destroyed defensively playing SF. They get a legit PG and SF, though, and have Anderson and Rivers as their 6th and 7th men, then you've got something. I really think Rivers can flourish in an instant offense 6th man role.

They won't play anderson as a sf besides Aminu is going to start this year.

PG-Austin Rivers
SG-Eric Gordon
SF-AL-Farooq Aminu
PF-Anthony Davis
C-Robin Lopez

no pun intended
07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Damn, I read the title as "Hornets will be Sold This Year"

RoundMoundOfReb
07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Austin Rivers WILL NOT be able to run the point effectively. He will at best be a decent bench player.

KG215
07-26-2012, 06:34 PM

PG-Austin Rivers
SG-Eric Gordon
SF-AL-Farooq Aminu
PF-Anthony Davis
C-Robin Lopez

Probably so, but the OP has Anderson as his starting SF. Either way, the draft pick of Rivers and signing of Anderson didn't make a lot of sense to me to begin with, because now 4 of their 5 best players play two positions. Davis can probably eventually play center but it's going to be rough on him to do so until he gains another 20ish pounds, and Rivers is essentially a homeless man's version of Eric Gordon with a worse jumper.

EricGordon23
07-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Probably so, but the OP has Anderson as his starting SF. Either way, the draft pick of Rivers and signing of Anderson didn't make a lot of sense to me to begin with, because now 4 of their 5 best players play two positions. Davis can probably eventually play center but it's going to be rough on him to do so until he gains another 20ish pounds, and Rivers is essentially a homeless man's version of Eric Gordon with a worse jumper.

Agreed. Not really Happy with the Rivers pick at all. Sorda wanted K.Marshall

bagelred
07-26-2012, 06:41 PM
2 rookies, random 7 footer, Gordon, and someone named Aminu.

I feel a hurricane of losses is heading New Orleans way.

supe12sta12z
07-26-2012, 06:42 PM

Rivers isn't the starting Point Guard. Greivis Vasquez is the starting point.

UtahJazzFan88
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Solid as in 12th/13th in the West? Sure.

ncrizzle
07-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I have a feeling Rivers is going to be absolutely horrible

NOHCP3
07-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Just looking for improvement and promise this year I like everything the FO & Demps did with a "?" on the Anderson & Rivers moves. Who's starts where @ the 3,4,5 is still a puzzle to me. No aminu plz that kid sucks balls

bleedinpurpleTwo
07-26-2012, 06:56 PM
They need a real PG. Rivers was a bad selection...he will not compliment Gordon.
Lopez will come off the bench.
Who is their legit SF?

Duderonomy
07-26-2012, 06:57 PM

PG-Austin Rivers
SG-Eric Gordon
SF-AL-Farooq Aminu
PF-Anthony Davis
C-Robin Lopez
Anderson will probably play the 4 when Davis plays at the 5.

DaSeba5
07-26-2012, 07:06 PM
I think they'll compete for the 8th seed, but they'll just miss it and take a step forward the following year.

maxhornets
07-26-2012, 07:50 PM
greivis vasquez will start at the point. Rivers will be our 6th man getting about 25mins a game splitting about 15 at point and 10 at shooting guard. Also Davis will be starting center With Anderson starting PF, with Lopez coming off the bench

FreezingTsmoove
07-26-2012, 07:55 PM
An ESPN writer wrote his thoughts about all the rookies in summer league and he said he was most surprised by Austin Rivers on how well he played the point. He said HE LOOKED LIKE A PURE PG OUT THERE. How unselfish he was and how he was always looking to get his teammates involved. Its a project for him to be a good PG I know but lets not act like he can't play it at all.

He's quick at getting to the rim, can hit a long jumper (he has a really good jumpshot), clutch, and we now know he can run point effectively. So yes there should be no worries about him as a PG

maxhornets
07-26-2012, 07:56 PM
That's if we get Lopez. Trade is being held up as it does not work with the new CBA.

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/07/26/trade-sending-lopez-warrick-to-new-orleans-in-holding-pattern-due-to-cba-rules/

CelticBaller
07-26-2012, 07:57 PM
2 rookies, random 7 footer, Gordon, and someone named Aminu.

I feel a hurricane of losses is heading New Orleans way.
too soon man

RoundMoundOfReb
07-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Wizards > Hornets

Wall
Beal
Ariza
NENE
Okafor

Arroyo8
07-26-2012, 09:55 PM
have fun trying to play ryan anderson at the 3

supe12sta12z
07-26-2012, 10:05 PM
have fun trying to play ryan anderson at the 3

Maybe situationally at most.

hkc
07-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Wizards > Hornets

Wall
Beal
Ariza
NENE
Okafor

God this is dumb. Okafor and ariza don't scare ANYONE, especially hornets fans. Beal is as unproven as any other rookie. Nene? Whatever. Look, it's very easy to post opinions on how a team might be. And that's fine. But I'm ashamed that you guys call yourself nba fans. Give the team a god damn chance to perform before you start spouting off on how rivers can't do this and Anderson can't do that. The league is in flux. You need athletes at almost every position. We'll be fine. We're not winning anything anytime soon, but to write us off and call yourself an nba fan is contradictory. And you're not even taking into account Monty Williams.

maxhornets
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
God this is dumb. Okafor and ariza don't scare ANYONE, especially hornets fans. Beal is as unproven as any other rookie. Nene? Whatever. Look, it's very easy to post opinions on how a team might be. And that's fine. But I'm ashamed that you guys call yourself nba fans. Give the team a god damn chance to perform before you start spouting off on how rivers can't do this and Anderson can't do that. The league is in flux. You need athletes at almost every position. We'll be fine. We're not winning anything anytime soon, but to write us off and call yourself an nba fan is contradictory. And you're not even taking into account Monty Williams.

I agree with most of this

hkc
07-26-2012, 11:34 PM
I agree with most of this

What don't you agree with my fellow Hornet? Discussion shall ensue..

50inchvertical
07-26-2012, 11:36 PM
9th seed at best

livingby3's
07-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Agreed. Not really Happy with the Rivers pick at all. Sorda wanted K.Marshall

i always thought its better for the Suns and Hornets of they just swap Marshall and Rivers

Droid101
07-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Ryan Anderson can play the 3???
Well, sure, he can be a player on the court with "sf" by his name on the box score.

But he sure couldn't guard any opposing small forwards, even a little bit.

maxhornets
07-26-2012, 11:47 PM
What don't you agree with my fellow Hornet? Discussion shall ensue..

Just the fact that you said some of these people shouldn't call themselves NBA fans because they are writing off other players. No-one should be writing off rivers ability to run the point, at this point as he hasn't even played an NBA game yet, but just cause someone does write him off (or another player) that doesn't make them less of an NBA fan. It's just there opinion. Everything else I agreed with

roffie
07-26-2012, 11:47 PM
austin rivers suck

KG215
07-27-2012, 12:15 AM
An ESPN writer wrote his thoughts about all the rookies in summer league and he said he was most surprised by Austin Rivers on how well he played the point. He said HE LOOKED LIKE A PURE PG OUT THERE. How unselfish he was and how he was always looking to get his teammates involved. Its a project for him to be a good PG I know but lets not act like he can't play it at all.

Didn't he only play in two summer league games? In the one I watched he looked alright playing PG but didn't really do a whole lot for me in terms of eye-opening performance or anything

He's quick at getting to the rim, can hit a long jumper (he has a really good jumpshot), clutch, and we now know he can run point effectively. So yes there should be no worries about him as a PG
[/QUOTE]

Did we watch the same Austin Rivers last year? He CAN have a good jumper but it's inconsistent. He's a streak shooter and I rarely saw him stop and pop from 15-18 feet. It was either a drive to the hole or three-pointer. I'm not saying he can't be a good shooter or develop a really good jump shot, but right now he is far from having a "really good jumpshot." Not to mention his form is broke.

KG215
07-27-2012, 12:19 AM
i always thought its better for the Suns and Hornets of they just swap Marshall and Rivers

I agree with this. New Orleans needed more help at PG and SF and instead took a 6'3" combo guard who's more of a SG than PG. Phoenix did need a PG because at the time they didn't know they'd get Dragic, but they needed more help at SG in my opinion. With Lillard gone, I thought Marshall would have been a great fit in New Orleans.

OmniStrife
07-27-2012, 12:23 AM
I like our line-up more:

Dragic / Marshall
Brown / Redd
Beasley / Dudley
Scola / Morris
Gortat / Frye

But who knows, new rosters take a while to gel before they're not playing like complete garbage...

I wish we could've gotten Gordon though... :(

dzav323
07-27-2012, 12:43 AM
You guys are bashing Rivers and he hasn't even played a game in the league yet. I'll admit I wasn't thrilled with the pick but Demps and Monty know what they are doing. Apparently they liked what they saw in workouts, they traded Jarrett Jack (solid starter) away for pretty much nothing. Let the 19 YEAR OLD play a game or two before you start bashing.

66.7 % of Hornets games were determined by less than 10 points last season. Now we have talent. Add that with Monty Williams coaching and a healthy Eric Gordon and playoffs might be a possibility (probably no higher than 7 seed)

anthonyRandolph
07-27-2012, 12:50 AM
I agree with this. New Orleans needed more help at PG and SF and instead took a 6'3" combo guard who's more of a SG than PG. Phoenix did need a PG because at the time they didn't know they'd get Dragic, but they needed more help at SG in my opinion. With Lillard gone, I thought Marshall would have been a great fit in New Orleans.
Vasquez is a solid big pg with great court vision, go look at his numbers when he plays over 30min this is with minimal talent all year also.

KG215
07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Vasquez is a solid big pg with great court vision, go look at his numbers when he plays over 30min this is with minimal talent all year also.

I keep forgetting they have Vasquez. I'd think/hope he's the starting PG to begin the season and, if Rivers shows promise, then move him into the starting lineup. But Vasquez had some nice moments/games off the bench in the WCF last year for Memphis.

And I'm well aware of his game. I'm a UNC fan and, every time they played Maryland, Vasquez went nuts.

50inchvertical
07-27-2012, 02:34 AM
You guys are bashing Rivers and he hasn't even played a game in the league yet. I'll admit I wasn't thrilled with the pick but Demps and Monty know what they are doing. Apparently they liked what they saw in workouts, they traded Jarrett Jack (solid starter) away for pretty much nothing. Let the 19 YEAR OLD play a game or two before you start bashing.

66.7 % of Hornets games were determined by less than 10 points last season. Now we have talent. Add that with Monty Williams coaching and a healthy Eric Gordon and playoffs might be a possibility (probably no higher than 7 seed)
Did you see him in summer league? Beyond the fact he spent more time on the ground than standing up, it was very clear he is not a pg and the transition is going to be a tough one. Beyond that, EJG has not been healthy since his rookie yr and add to that he doesn't want to be there. The West is too tough. They are a few yrs out

EricGordon23
07-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Woot woot i get to meet eric gordon this saturday! So pumped!!!!!!

CelticBaller
07-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Woot woot i get to meet eric gordon this saturday! So pumped!!!!!!
suck his dick for us

EricGordon23
07-27-2012, 03:27 AM
suck his dick for us

Nah thats g@y

anthonyRandolph
07-27-2012, 04:28 AM
I keep forgetting they have Vasquez. I'd think/hope he's the starting PG to begin the season and, if Rivers shows promise, then move him into the starting lineup. But Vasquez had some nice moments/games off the bench in the WCF last year for Memphis.

And I'm well aware of his game. I'm a UNC fan and, every time they played Maryland, Vasquez went nuts.

As a hype fan, I wanted Rivers to start and be all world, as that's not likely to happen as a basketball fan I want Vasquez to get the start and Rivers supply scoring off the bench. I mean Vasquez made Gustavo Ayon look nice, I'm drooling to think what he can do with Davis and actual talent on the floor. I'm almost certain he starts though, haha he's been killing in Olympic play too.

Dukem
07-27-2012, 05:11 AM
I'll predict that in 2-3 years time, they'll be a play off team and 5-6 years time a possible contender.

dzav323
07-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Did you see him in summer league? Beyond the fact he spent more time on the ground than standing up, it was very clear he is not a pg and the transition is going to be a tough one. Beyond that, EJG has not been healthy since his rookie yr and add to that he doesn't want to be there. The West is too tough. They are a few yrs out
I watched all of our games and he only played in 2 of them. It was his first two games with the Hornets. Plus he only played pg about half the time and the other at sg because they were giving Brian Roberts and Jerome Dyson a chance and wanted to see what he could do off the ball. I wasn't impressed and like you said, he hit the floor way too much, but Monty and Dell know whats best. ISH underrates Monty Williams. Dude got 3rd place votes for COTY last season for having the 3rd worst record in the league.

Wally450
07-27-2012, 10:12 AM
I hope Austin Rivers does well in whatever roll he plays for the Hornets now and in the future

Duderonomy
07-27-2012, 02:33 PM
OP, you think they are good enough to grab the 8th seed?

I'm very interested to hear the 7 teams you think will miss the playoffs in the West.
I think the wolves/jazz will be fighting for the 8th seed, Hornets won't be far behind though. Who knows maybe the mavs and Grizzlies fall out of the playoff race too.

9.Jazz
10.Hornets
11.Warriors
12.Trailblazers
13.Suns
14.Rockets
15.Kings

supe12sta12z
07-27-2012, 02:39 PM
The roster is taking shape.

Vasquez/Rivers
Gordon/Rivers/Henry
Aminu/Henry/Darius Miller
Anderson/Davis/Warrick
Davis/Lopez/Smith

A nice young lineup. Their bigs are inter-changable outside of Warrick and Lopez. They all can play both positions. Not there yet, but they are getting close.

FireDavidKahn
07-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Austin Rivers at point guard is terrifying, much more so then Ryan Anderson starting at SF. Lopez also isn't a starting caliber C in this league.

Xiao Yao You
07-28-2012, 12:19 PM
I think the wolves/jazz will be fighting for the 8th seed, Hornets won't be far behind though. Who knows maybe the mavs and Grizzlies fall out of the playoff race too.

9.Jazz
10.Hornets
11.Warriors
12.Trailblazers
13.Suns
14.Rockets
15.Kings

Jazz have improved and Rubio is coming off a serious injury. Once they finally give up on the Al Jefferson experiment they could really be on to something. Mavs have a lot to prove yet. Denver is no shoe in either.

ncrizzle
07-28-2012, 12:30 PM

9.Jazz
10.Hornets
11.Warriors
12.Trailblazers
13.Suns
14.Rockets
15.Kings

:biggums:
grizzlies had serious injuries last year and still finished 4th in the west. They are coming back with Darell Arthur and Zbo at %100. If the grizzlies arent a playoff team, then the Hornets are sweeping the Heat in the Finals

KobeBaRyant
07-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Need a real PG. Put rivers in the bench

Remix
07-28-2012, 01:17 PM

9.Jazz
10.Hornets
11.Warriors
12.Trailblazers
13.Suns
14.Rockets
15.Kings

I see OKC, Spurs, Lakers, Clippers, Grizz, and Mavs all as locks. Denver will probably make it too. I don't see the Hornets being in playoff contention.

And I honestly think the Kings will surprise some people next year. Not saying they will make the playoffs, but I can see them occasionally beating some good teams.

boojitede
07-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I see OKC, Spurs, Lakers, Clippers, Grizz, and Mavs all as locks. Denver will probably make it too. I don't see the Hornets being in playoff contention.

And I honestly think the Kings will surprise some people next year. Not saying they will make the playoffs, but I can see them occasionally beating some good teams.
how is dal a lock in any way shape or form?:biggums:

NugzFan
07-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Jazz have improved and Rubio is coming off a serious injury. Once they finally give up on the Al Jefferson experiment they could really be on to something. Mavs have a lot to prove yet. Denver is no shoe in either.

Only injuries would stop us from making it

Duderonomy
07-28-2012, 02:57 PM
how is dal a lock in any way shape or form?:biggums:
Every team except the thunder,lakers, and maybe grizzlies and spurs are one superstar injury away from missing the playoffs. That's why I don't like guessing who makes the playoffs in July.

ncrizzle
07-28-2012, 03:00 PM

EricGordon23
07-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Going to meet eric gordon in less than 2 hours woot woot

MJ(Mean John)
07-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Going to meet eric gordon in less than 2 hours woot woot

Where

LJJ
07-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Nope, they are still awful. Who is going to score the basketball beside Eric Gordon?

I believe in Davis though. Give it a couple of years and the Hornets might be a respectable team. But right now they have holes and insecurities at every position.