PDA

View Full Version : Who diserves HOF/retired laker#? Norm Nixon, Byron Scott, Vlade Divac or Eddie Jones

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 12:41 PM
all boarderline hall of famers..

all big time lakers for a while...

Jamaal Wilkes just got into the hall of fame in 2012 and will have his number 52 retired by the lakers in the upcoming season.

who will be next?

one of these guys... or Shaq in another 4 years

caliman
07-27-2012, 12:43 PM
If those guys are borderline HOF'ers then the Hall has really low standards. It should be reserved for the greats, not the pretty goods.

Next Laker HOF'er will be Shaq.

fatboy11
07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Definitely Byron Scott.

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 12:46 PM
If those guys are borderline HOF'ers then the Hall has really low standards. It should be reserved for the greats, not the pretty goods.

Next Laker HOF'er will be Shaq.

you act like they did nothing... people on here talk about gasol being a hall of famer... his career isnt much better than nixon or scott

byron was the leading scorer on a few championship teams

nixon averaged nearly 20ppg most of his career

divac was the best player on LA for a while

eddie jones overall career is pretty good... all nba and all defensive teams, multiple allstar games

fatboy11
07-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Norm Nixon never averaged 20 PPG. Not one time. Not even close, really.

caliman
07-27-2012, 12:51 PM
you act like they did nothing... people on here talk about gasol being a hall of famer... his career isnt much better than nixon or scott

byron was the leading scorer on a few championship teams

eddie jones overall career is pretty good... all nba and all defensive teams, multiple allstar games

I didn't say they did nothing. But did they do anything HOF worthy? Hell no!!!! It's debatable whether they did anything Staples Center Wall worthy.

get these NETS
07-27-2012, 12:53 PM
norm is the best choice

he was the leader on the lakers before Magic emerged

in fact they only got rid of norm when they realized the Magic could/should be playing point...he wasn't technically a point guard in the beginning

byron scott?.nah......never saw a double team the entire time he played for lakers

vlade?..nah...lakers went nowhere with him in the middle

jones...nah...exciting player but not a winning player

kurt_rambis
07-27-2012, 12:54 PM
norm nixon was the best player of those four, and probably had the best career. he was the starting point guard on two of those 80s laker championship teams (even though magic averaged more assists)

byron was good, but seemed like more a product of the system. the number of wide open jumpers he got because magic or kareem were being double-teamed was ridiculous. pretty one-dimensional player, and his disappearing act in the 91 finals to this day pisses me off

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Norm Nixon never averaged 20 PPG. Not one time. Not even close, really.

well if close to 20 is right below at 19 then yes he didnt

but he had a string of 17ppg+ seasons

and on a team where you have to share with magic/kareem and a few other possible hall of famers... thats pretty good

and he was a point guard averaging nearly 10apg for most of those years

one year he was over 10apg

playing with magic at pg in 81 nixon still managed 9 apg

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 01:00 PM
I didn't say they did nothing. But did they do anything HOF worthy? Hell no!!!! It's debatable whether they did anything Staples Center Wall worthy.

well to get your laker jersey retired you have to make the hall of fame

wilkes had to wait till 2012 to get his jersey retired because of it

fatboy11
07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
well if close to 20 is right below at 19 then yes he didnt

but he had a string of 17ppg+ seasons

He never averaged over 17.6 PPG in any one NBA season. His career scoring average is 15.7 PPG. If he "averaged nearly 20 PPG for his whole career", his career scoring average would be close to 20 PPG.

I'm not taking anything away from him, he was a great player, but you were wrong to say that. 17 PPG is not "nearly 20 PPG". 3 PPG doesn't sound like a whole lot but that actually is a lot of points to raise your average by 3 PPG. The guy was never near a 20 PPG scorer.

MisterAmazing
07-27-2012, 01:02 PM

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

b0bab0i
07-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Eddie Jones.

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 01:08 PM
He never averaged over 17.6 PPG in any one NBA season. His career scoring average is 15.7 PPG. If he "averaged nearly 20 PPG for his whole career", his career scoring average would be close to 20 PPG.

I'm not taking anything away from him, he was a great player, but you were wrong to say that. 17 PPG is not "nearly 20 PPG". 3 PPG doesn't sound like a whole lot but that actually is a lot of points to raise your average by 3 PPG. The guy was never near a 20 PPG scorer.

didnt i just get done saying "well if you say close to 20 is only 19 then yes he wasnt close."

but 17 is like 1-2 shots away from being 20

if someone put up 97 points in a game... you would say " well he basically got 100 points

you wouldnt say "no ... you would need 99 points to say that.. it was closer to a 95 point game IMO."

lol seriously... who cares if he wasnt close to 20ppg

he was a pg averaging 17points and 8-9 apg at the same time while winning championships

QuebecBaller
07-27-2012, 01:11 PM
The NBA need to retired not Divac's #, but Divac's Beard

:bowdown: :bowdown:

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 01:12 PM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

16points/10rebounds/4assists/2 blocks on 50% fg's in 94-95

he was the lakers mvp... best passing big man in the league

vlade is pretty underrated

and in 93 he was the leader in ppg on a balanced scoring team

sagr32
07-27-2012, 01:20 PM
16points/10rebounds/4assists/2 blocks on 50% fg's in 94-95

he was the lakers mvp... best passing big man in the league

vlade is pretty underrated

and in 93 he was the leader in ppg on a balanced scoring teamA team that went where exactly?

fatboy11
07-27-2012, 01:22 PM
didnt i just get done saying "well if you say close to 20 is only 19 then yes he wasnt close."

if someone put up 97 points in a game... you would say " well he basically got 100 points

you wouldnt say "no ... you would need 99 points to say that.. it was closer to a 95 point game IMO."

he was a pg averaging 17points and 8-9 apg at the same time while winning championships

I care because you said he was. He wasn't. There's a big difference in a 17 PPG scorer and a 20 PPG career scorer.

And the single game comparison is stupid. Of course you could consider 97 points "basically 100" in a single game. There's a much greater difference in 3 PPG than there is 3 individual points for just one game.

You re-write history if you consider every guy that averaged 16-17 PPG to be a 20 PPG scorer. It devalues the feat.

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 01:38 PM
A team that went where exactly?

the 95-96 lakers won 53 games and had the 5th best record in the league
the 94-95 lakers won 48 games and made it to the 2nd round

they werent that bad before shaq got there

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
I care because you said he was. He wasn't. There's a big difference in a 17 PPG scorer and a 20 PPG career scorer.

And the single game comparison is stupid. Of course you could consider 97 points "basically 100" in a single game. There's a much greater difference in 3 PPG than there is 3 individual points for just one game.

You re-write history if you consider every guy that averaged 16-17 PPG to be a 20 PPG scorer. It devalues the feat.

and didnt i just get done saying 2 times that your right

so you basically said the same thing 3 straight times?

and now i'm posting for the 3rd time that ok.. fine.. 17 is not "close" to 20.. but its 17ppg, 8-9 assists on a few championship teams... which is verry good considering he had to share with allot of guys

are you just looking to argue?

Kobe 4 The Win
07-27-2012, 01:45 PM
The Lakers only retire the number of all-time greats. As much as I like them, none of these guys fit that desription. I hope they don't soften that stance and start letting role players in that club.

17 to 18 ppg is not 20ppg

Byron Scott wasn't the leading scorer on a few championship teams. The best I can find is that he lead us once in regular season ppg by a slim margin and once in playoff ppg also by a slim margin. He was a spot up shooter that couldn't defend and couldn't stay healthy in the playoffs.

Divac was a solid but not great player for us and his teams never got anywhere in the post season.

Eddie Jones :biggums:

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 01:58 PM
The Lakers only retire the number of all-time greats. As much as I like them, none of these guys fit that desription. I hope they don't soften that stance and start letting role players in that club.

17 to 18 ppg is not 20ppg

Byron Scott wasn't the leading scorer on a few championship teams. The best I can find is that he lead us once in regular season ppg by a slim margin and once in playoff ppg also by a slim margin. He was a spot up shooter that couldn't defend and couldn't stay healthy in the playoffs.

Divac was a solid but not great player for us and his teams never got anywhere in the post season.

Eddie Jones :biggums:

you dont have to be an alltime great to make the HOF

have you seen the type of guys theyve been letting in lately?

and incase you didnt notice... i didnt say any of these players were worthy of the HOF

i said they were boarderline at best

i was looking for opinions.

but nixon would be the closest thing to a possibility

DKLaker
07-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Eddie Jones.

You MUST be joking, Eddie "I disappear in the playoffs every year" Jones, on talent yes, on accomplishments, hell no. I said that the Lakers would NEVER win a title with him on the team and I was right. The guy had all the talent in the world...as much as even Kobe but absolutely NONE of the heart to go with it.
He was a horrible underachiever just like Lamar Odom.

I'd love to see Michael Cooper's jersey retired, he was HUGE for the Lakers Showtime teams. Larry Bird said he was the toughest defender for him to score on. Coop would run down guys on fast breaks and swat them from behind like Lebron, he would hit big 3 after big 3 and throw down crushing dunks......like I said, he was the guy who would always take on the opponents best scorer.
I like Nixon, Scott and Vlade too but none of them deserve to be honored.

BTW, I was at every home game and some road games during the time.

Kobe 4 The Win
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
you dont have to be an alltime great to make the HOF

have you seen the type of guys theyve been letting in lately?

and incase you didnt notice... i didnt say any of these players were worthy of the HOF

i said they were boarderline at best

i was looking for opinions.

but nixon would be the closest thing to a possibility

I'm not sure what it was that I said to piss you off. I was only responding to the Lakers possibly retiring the numbers. That said, I don't think any of these guys belong in the HOF either. Those are my opinions :confusedshrug:

I agree that nixon is the closest but I wouldn't put him in the HOF or retire his number in LA. If any role player should have his number retired it should be Coop.

fatboy11
07-27-2012, 03:11 PM
and didnt i just get done saying 2 times that your right

so you basically said the same thing 3 straight times?

and now i'm posting for the 3rd time that ok.. fine.. 17 is not "close" to 20.. but its 17ppg, 8-9 assists on a few championship teams... which is verry good considering he had to share with allot of guys

are you just looking to argue?

The only reason I keep responding is because you keep adding in little comments like 17 PPG is just 1 or 2 shots away from 20 PPG. So, you're admitting you're wrong, but then you're also turning around and justifying it as almost the same thing. And I don't like that. That's all it is. If you had just said that you were wrong, I would have dropped it. You kept wanting to be the "I was wrong, but..." guy.

bmd
07-27-2012, 03:21 PM

he was a pg averaging 17points and 8-9 apg at the same time while winning championshipsIt depends on the context. In this context, 3 points is a lot when talking about an average over an entire season.

Just like if I ran the 100 meter dash, if I ran it in 10.8 seconds, I can't just say "I ran it in 10 seconds". In a 100 meter dash, .80 seconds is a TON.

And in basketball, when talking about average ppg, 3 points is a lot.

Legends66NBA7
07-27-2012, 03:34 PM
I think Norm Nixon would get the nod out the guy you mentioned.

1. Nixon
2. Scott
3. Divac
4. Jones

I'd love to see Michael Cooper's jersey retired

Wow, Cooper's jersey isn't retired ?

Hell with that, Cooper should go before any of the players mentioned in the thread title, easily.

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 03:49 PM
The only reason I keep responding is because you keep adding in little comments like 17 PPG is just 1 or 2 shots away from 20 PPG. So, you're admitting you're wrong, but then you're also turning around and justifying it as almost the same thing. And I don't like that. That's all it is. If you had just said that you were wrong, I would have dropped it. You kept wanting to be the "I was wrong, but..." guy.

and for the 4th time. your right

17 is not close to 20...

and for the 4th time... 17 points and 8-9apg on a championship team while having to share time and shots with 3-4 other hall of famers is verry impressive

why do you keep arguing? youve litterally posted the same thing 4 times now

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I think Norm Nixon would get the nod out the guy you mentioned.

1. Nixon
2. Scott
3. Divac
4. Jones

Wow, Cooper's jersey isn't retired ?

Hell with that, Cooper should go before any of the players mentioned in the thread title, easily.

lakers dont retire non hall of famers... hense wilkes just getting hof this year and will have his jersey retired this upcoming season

fatboy11
07-27-2012, 03:57 PM
and for the 4th time. your right

and for the 4th time... 17 points and 8-9apg on a championship team while having to share time and shots with 3-4 other hall of famers is verry impressive

why do you keep arguing? youve litterally posted the same thing 4 times now

You keep asking me questions, man. I'm not rude. I'm not going to ignore you.

My point was never that Norm Nixon wasn't a great player, my point was that he did not averaged close to 20 PPG for his whole career. Not "but this, but that", he didn't do it. Never came close. I never said the guy didn't have an extremely impressive career. My point, really, was that had he actually been a 20 PPG scorer, or close to it, he'd likely be in the HOF already. But he didn't have a 20 PPG career, so he isn't. Big difference between 16 PPG and 20 PPG for a career. That's all I'm saying.

If you do not wish to have my respond again, do not pose a question to me. If you do, I will respond. When people ask me questions, I answer. We're on the same page about Norm Nixon. I just want you to not act like he might as well be considered a 20 PPG guy. That's all. You have acknowledged that now. I'm good.

But as far as Lakers go, I think Bryon Scott should have his number retired before Nixon or the other guys. But I'm not sure if Scott or Nixon will make the HOF. Divac and Jones definitely won't. They'd be in the Hall of Very Good, but not the Hall of Fame.

get these NETS
07-27-2012, 04:21 PM
no reason to post this picture.....just felt like doing it

http://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/img/lakers/bio_photos/pat_riley.jpg

DKLaker
07-27-2012, 05:09 PM
no reason to post this picture.....just felt like doing it

http://www.latimes.com/includes/projects/img/lakers/bio_photos/pat_riley.jpg

Haha.....that's the Pat Riley I knew!!!! When he first showed up all clean shaven and hair slicked back I was like WTF??? Riles was a hard nosed scrappy guy back then and one of my faves.

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 06:11 PM
You keep asking me questions, man. I'm not rude. I'm not going to ignore you.

My point was never that Norm Nixon wasn't a great player, my point was that he did not averaged close to 20 PPG for his whole career. Not "but this, but that", he didn't do it. Never came close. I never said the guy didn't have an extremely impressive career. My point, really, was that had he actually been a 20 PPG scorer, or close to it, he'd likely be in the HOF already. But he didn't have a 20 PPG career, so he isn't. Big difference between 16 PPG and 20 PPG for a career. That's all I'm saying.

If you do not wish to have my respond again, do not pose a question to me. If you do, I will respond. When people ask me questions, I answer. We're on the same page about Norm Nixon. I just want you to not act like he might as well be considered a 20 PPG guy. That's all. You have acknowledged that now. I'm good.

But as far as Lakers go, I think Bryon Scott should have his number retired before Nixon or the other guys. But I'm not sure if Scott or Nixon will make the HOF. Divac and Jones definitely won't. They'd be in the Hall of Very Good, but not the Hall of Fame.

:applause:

congrats... you're re*tarded

i've just agreed with you 4 times.. yet you still feel the need to repeat it a 5th time

unf*cking real

:bowdown:

godlike

1987_Lakers
07-27-2012, 06:52 PM
norm nixon was the best player of those four, and probably had the best career. he was the starting point guard on two of those 80s laker championship teams (even though magic averaged more assists)

byron was good, but seemed like more a product of the system. the number of wide open jumpers he got because magic or kareem were being double-teamed was ridiculous. pretty one-dimensional player, and his disappearing act in the 91 finals to this day pisses me off

Nicely said. Another player I think should be in this discussion is Michael Cooper, I would have his number retired before Byron Scott. Norm Nixon was the best player of those listed.

I think people today tend to overrated Scott, he was a one-dimensional player who disappeared in big games, not only in '91 vs Chicago, but he always disappeared vs the Celtics every time LA met them in the Finals, he also played horrible vs Houston in the '86 WCF.

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Nicely said. Another player I think should be in this discussion is Michael Cooper, I would have his number retired before Byron Scott. Norm Nixon was the best player of those listed.

I think people today tend to overrated Scott, he was a one-dimensional player who disappeared in big games, not only in '91 vs Chicago, but he always disappeared vs the Celtics every time LA met them in the Finals, he also played horrible vs Houston in the '86 WCF.

cooper has no shot at HOF though... laker owners said they only retire hall of famers

if cooper got his # retired... theyed have to retire like 20 more guys like fisher, horry etc...

they dont hang up division banners and they dont retire role player #'s.. any laker fan should know this

1987_Lakers
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
cooper has no shot at HOF though... laker owners said they only retire hall of famers

if cooper got his # retired... theyed have to retire like 20 more guys like fisher, horry etc...

they dont hang up division banners and they dont retire role player #'s.. any laker fan should know this

Cooper isn't a HOF player, but I would easily retire his number before Scott, Divac, & Jones. LA doesn't have to retire Fisher & Horry's number if they do Cooper's considering Cooper was better than those guys, Fisher & Horry were good role players who were very clutch, Cooper is an all-time great role player.

fpliii
07-27-2012, 07:07 PM
griff - I'm not going to chime in on most of the guys you mentioned, but Norm Nixon didn't put up 9apg (well really 8.5, but it's close enough) alongside Magic. Magic missed most of the season, and Nixon started the games he missed at PG.

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 07:11 PM
griff - I'm not going to chime in on most of the guys you mentioned, but Norm Nixon didn't put up 9apg (well really 8.5, but it's close enough) alongside Magic. Magic missed most of the season, and Nixon started the games he missed at PG.

well really it was 8.8apg

i just checked

and in the playoffs he was the team leader at 8.7apg

and before magic got there he was averaging 11.8apg in the playoffs

and the year after he left he averaged 10+apg for a full season

fpliii
07-27-2012, 07:14 PM
well really it was 8.8apg

i just checked

and in the playoffs he was the team leader at 8.7apg

and before magic got there he was averaging 11.8apg in the playoffs

and the year after he left he averaged 10+apg for a full season

sorry, 8.5 was the number I remembered, just checked and you're right

I was just trying to say that 9 is a very difficult number to approach alongside a guy like Magic, even though the game was faster played

on topic, I think at least he and Scott would be retired on most other teams, but this is LA we're talking about...there are much higher standards

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Cooper isn't a HOF player, but I would easily retire his number before Scott, Divac, & Jones. LA doesn't have to retire Fisher & Horry's number if they do Cooper's considering Cooper was better than those guys, Fisher & Horry were good role players who were very clutch, Cooper is an all-time great role player.

he is the best role player in laker history... but if you let in one role player non hall of famer... you have to let them all in... all the guys who contributed large towards titles

i admit cooper was mainly a defensive player and maybe should get some recognition for it... i say if ben wallace makes the HOF... cooper should too

rodman made it with defense but he grabbed legendary rebounds to go with his defense

we'l see.... this just shows you how easy magic had it back in the day..

kareem putting up 27/15
worthy putting up 20-25ppg
wilkes putting up 20ppg
nixon putting up 17/8
cooper the defensive player of the year. allot of 1st team all d's
mcadoo coming in at the end of his career to contribute 15ppg
scott putting up 20ppg at times

all these guys are either hall of famers, or should be hall of famers

fpliii
07-27-2012, 07:28 PM
he is the best role player in laker history... but if you let in one role player non hall of famer... you have to let them all in... all the guys who contributed large towards titles

i admit cooper was mainly a defensive player and maybe should get some recognition for it... i say if ben wallace makes the HOF... cooper should too

rodman made it with defense but he grabbed legendary rebounds to go with his defense

kareem putting up 27/15
wilkes putting up 20ppg
nixon putting up 17/8

ehhhh, we'll have to agree to disagree

Magic is one of three guys in my book who has a case for #1 all-time (with Jordan and Russell)

1987_Lakers
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM

kareem putting up 27/15
wilkes putting up 20ppg
nixon putting up 17/8

I'm not arguing that Cooper should have his number retired or that he should be in the HOF. All I'm saying is that I would have his jersey retired before Scott, Divac, & Jones.

Byron Scott - Not even close to being HOF material. One-dimensional player who choked in big games. You always saw Cooper on the floor when the game was on the line instead of Scott.

Vlade Divac - What did we win when he was our starting 5? Never even made an All-Star team when he was in LA.

Eddie Jones - Lakers isn't the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear his name. Shouldn't even be mentioned.

swi7ch
07-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Vlade Dadde of course! :bowdown:

Smoke117
07-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Not one of these players is a HOFer.

Math2
07-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Jamaal Wilkes just got into the hall of fame in 2012 and will have his number 52 retired by the lakers in the upcoming season.

who will be next?

Byron Scott "diserves" to be in the HOF

DixieNourmous
07-27-2012, 08:57 PM
None of the mentioned deserve a retired #
Cant say any deserve HOF either. All good players, I have respect for them all, but good and great are way different.

I think the Laker organization should put a statue of Kareem next to Magic`s.

It is a slap in the face to Kareem not to have one if Magic did and I agree.

Peteballa
07-27-2012, 09:10 PM

who will be next?

"diserves"

"boarderline"

Really?

ThaRegul8r
07-27-2012, 09:20 PM

Apparently you aren't aware of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

A guy who averaged 7/4/4 for his career is in the Hall and has been for some time, but you're just now saying that the Hall must have low standards?

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Apparently you aren't aware of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

A guy who averaged 7/4/4 for his career is in the Hall and has been for some time, but you're just now saying that the Hall must have low standards?

what crap a** player did that

and i thought 15/5 career averages were bad

IGotACoolStory
07-27-2012, 10:00 PM

Are you kidding me with this post?

To preface, I think Nixon has the best case of the four...

However, 17 ppg is not 20 ppg. It may technically be a single made shot, but you and I both know it's not that simplistic. You can't say someone averaged 20 ppg for his career when his career average is 15.7 ppg.

Especially in basketball, that 4 point difference is enormous. 19 of the 30 NBA teams were within that 4 point range for score differential (points scored ppg - points allowed ppg) this past season. Essentially 4 total points were the difference between the team with which had the #1 draft pick and the team which was 1 win away from the NBA Finals.

DKLaker
07-27-2012, 10:56 PM
None of the mentioned deserve a retired #
Cant say any deserve HOF either. All good players, I have respect for them all, but good and great are way different.

I think the Laker organization should put a statue of Kareem next to Magic`s.

It is a slap in the face to Kareem not to have one if Magic did and I agree.

Obviously you never met Kareem, if you had you would understand that a Kareem statue would get destroyed quickly, it would take a team of armed guards around the clock......and even that may not save it.
He pissed off everyone.....and I mean to the level of violent hate for the A-Hole.
It's too bad because he was a phenomenal player, but he has himself to blame.

DKLaker
07-27-2012, 11:01 PM

See my post in this thread on page 2, I said it should be Coop over all others :cheers:

kennethgriffin
07-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Are you kidding me with this post?

To preface, I think Nixon has the best case of the four...

However, 17 ppg is not 20 ppg. It may technically be a single made shot, but you and I both know it's not that simplistic. You can't say someone averaged 20 ppg for his career when his career average is 15.7 ppg.

Especially in basketball, that 4 point difference is enormous. 19 of the 30 NBA teams were within that 4 point range for score differential (points scored ppg - points allowed ppg) this past season. Essentially 4 total points were the difference between the team with which had the #1 draft pick and the team which was 1 win away from the NBA Finals.

:facepalm

next person who talks about 17 not being close to 20 is going on ignore..

this is the 6th time ive had to address this issue

yes after further review. 17 is 17.. its not anything but 17

everyone seriously... stfu already :facepalm