PDA

View Full Version : Has there ever been a player with SO Much untapped Potential?

LosBulls
07-29-2012, 10:24 AM
http://youtu.be/YDqQuB_aPak?hd=1

What the hell is stopping this guy from evolving in to a hall of famer? Hes a bit dumb damn..

winnnaz
07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Because basketball is also played between the ears?

RoundMoundOfReb
07-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Because basketball is also played between the ears?
:applause:

Kblaze8855
07-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Hes just tall and mobile. Hes not even terribly coordinated even though he was a wing player in his youth. If athletic ability all people mean when they say "potential"?

Go Getter
07-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I bet he would beat both of you fools in 1 on 1 even if Ye was you guys height, lol.

Playing big man in the NBA without college is difficult. He's coming around nicely, albeit slowly.

And plenty of players have had more potential. Davis comes to mind off top.

Kblaze8855
07-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Without college?

Are you assuming he didnt play in college because he has no refined skills?

Go Getter
07-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Without college?

Are you assuming he didnt play in college because he has no refined skills?
Mistake. He played one year at a small school or something, no? Even with my error my main point stands. Big guys with no college tend to have a steep learning curve. They also take at least 4 years to develop decent muscle mass Id guess.

Kblaze8855
07-29-2012, 11:12 AM
He was in college for 2 years. Played 66 games. And he was 21 as a rookie. Not that thats the most important information. What you said just stood out to me because I remembered seeing his college highlights when he was drafted and thinking he looked nice. But everyone looks nice in those.

ralph_i_el
07-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I bet he would beat both of you fools in 1 on 1 even if Ye was you guys height, lol.

Playing big man in the NBA without college is difficult. He's coming around nicely, albeit slowly.

he went to nevada

RaininTwos
07-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I thought this thread was about Carmelo Anthony. He's the most skilled player of this generation, this guy can do everything offensively, he should be averaging 30 points a game,etc. This dude has been underachieving his whole career.

IGOTGAME
07-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Has there ever been a player with SO Much untapped Potential?

Yes. His name is Lamar Odom. Imo, he had the talent to be a HOFer imo.

DCL
07-29-2012, 12:14 PM
so if all you can do is jump and dunk, that's potential in the nba??

Meticode
07-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Actually yes. :oldlol:

Heavincent
07-29-2012, 12:19 PM

What the hell is stopping this guy from evolving in to a hall of famer? Hes a bit dumb damn..

Lack of intelligence.

Pacers4ever
07-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Lack of intelligence.

Then how do you explain LeBron who didn't even go to college? He's arguenly the same case in intelligence.

midatlantic09
07-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Yea, Ronnie Fields and Jay Williams.

DuMa
07-29-2012, 12:25 PM
he hasnt had the right system around him for a while. i believe george karl will mold him into a better player. that denver system is perfect for him where he can use his athleticism to the fullest.

Heavincent
07-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Then how do you explain LeBron who didn't even go to college? He's arguenly the same case in intelligence.

Lebron's basketball IQ is great. Have you ever seen Lebron try to dunk on somebody from damn near the 3 point line? Or run back on defense even though his team still has the ball? The point is, McGee does stupid shit on the basketball court on a fairly regular basis. Lebron does not.

Go Getter
07-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Kevin Garnett.

Dude had the potential to be one of the best ever at any position he just didn't or couldn't put it all together at the right time.

He needed a better left, a lil more time on the bench (press), and another go-to move. You could argue his offensive game was passive by nature and he played a well rounded game but I think with more strength and a lot more time in the gym mimicking McHale he could have been top 5.

FreezingTsmoove
07-29-2012, 01:25 PM

:facepalm

ralph_i_el
07-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Lebron has one of the highest Bball Iq's the the league

BoutPractice
07-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Among current players, two come to mind that could actually fulfill some of that untapped potential - Westbrook and Durant.

Westbrook is one of the most athletic/intense guards I have ever seen, is a great finisher around the rim, has good ballhandling and passing skills, a developing jumpshot, and all the tools to be the best defender at his position. If he can make the switch to thinking the game instead of just acting like a Hollywood cop all the time, he could become a top 3 player in the league.

As for Durant, he quite simply has the potential to be the GOAT offensive player if he develops his post game and passing.

LeBron, Dwight and Bynum still have untapped potential as well.
You can also mention guys like LaMarcus Aldridge or DeMarcus Cousins...

Smoke117
07-29-2012, 02:26 PM
I knew it was going to be this fool before I even clicked the link. He has a low basketball IQ and not very good basketball instincts which is plain and simple. Just because you are an athlete that doesn't make you a basketball player. The video of this guy trying to get a triple double is one of the most pathetic I've ever seen.

bokes15
07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Lebron's basketball IQ is great. Have you ever seen Lebron try to dunk on somebody from damn near the 3 point line? Or run back on defense even though his team still has the ball? The point is, McGee does stupid shit on the basketball court on a fairly regular basis. Lebron does not.
This. Lebron may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but his bball IQ is off the charts.

CLTHornets4eva
07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
He is really dumb. Listen to the interview afterwards :lol

StateProperty
07-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Andre Miller the GOAT lob passer

Horatio33
07-29-2012, 02:52 PM
I think he could become Tyson Chandler lite. The only thing stopping him is maturity. If he grew up mentally his bball IQ would improve. He will never be someone you could throw the ball to on the box 5 times in a row but he is someone you need to keep a body on when a shot goes up.

kentatm
07-29-2012, 04:18 PM

education ≠ intelligence brah

IGOTGAME
07-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Kevin Garnett.

Dude had the potential to be one of the best ever at any position he just didn't or couldn't put it all together at the right time.

He needed a better left, a lil more time on the bench (press), and another go-to move. You could argue his offensive game was passive by nature and he played a well rounded game but I think with more strength and a lot more time in the gym mimicking McHale he could have been top 5.
Kevin Garnet is one of the greatest power forwards ever. He is a top 5 of ever. Some rank him higher.

RRR3
07-29-2012, 04:33 PM
T-Mac. He was great for a few years scary to think how good he could have been if he had not had injury problems and worked harder

Is He Ill
07-29-2012, 04:35 PM

:facepalm Just because neither guy went to college doesn't mean they're in the same boat as far as lack of intelligence is concerned.

hoopaddict08
07-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Rasheed Wallace. Case Closed.

So, so, sooooo gifted. If Wallace had a Jordan type of mindset, and work ethic, he could have been one of the greatest players ever.

bokes15
07-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Honestly, in today's NBA yes. Look at what it took to be a successful bigman in the NBA even 15 years ago vs. what it takes now. You can be dumb and still have a huge impact. I think in he's prime he has a chance to at least be as good as Tyson Chandler.

Xiao Yao You
07-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Derrick Coleman

Eat Like A Bosh
07-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Maybe if McGee grows some brains.... He probably leads the league in :facepalm worthy boneheaded plays.

Jax
07-29-2012, 08:46 PM
If Javale gets a tutor and develops his game with a nice hook shot or something like that, damn. But I don't know who manages his career.

Xiao Yao You
07-29-2012, 08:47 PM
If Javale gets a tutor and develops his game with a nice hook shot or something like that, damn. But I don't know who manages his career.

His mom. She doesn't seem like she's a whole lot brighter either. He is going to work with Hakeem I believe.

IGotACoolStory
07-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Rasheed Wallace. Case Closed.

So, so, sooooo gifted. If Wallace had a Jordan type of mindset, and work ethic, he could have been one of the greatest players ever.

Sheed wasn't a waste of talent like McGee is.

He was pretty ****ing good, regardless on how he appeared to take the game on the court. From what I recall, he was terrific teammate (by their accounts) and had a very high basketball IQ. One of the best in the league while he played, imo, and there are many quotes from his past coaches and teammates who agree.

There were two problems with Rasheed Wallace:

1) While he knew the nuances of the game very well, he didn't always put it to use. Namely he feel in love with the 3. Yet, still the guy could guard any 3-5 in the NBA without a double team and absolutely controlled the paint when he wanted to. I always thought this problem was overblown.

2) The biggest, imo: He never wanted to be "the man" on a basketball team. He was fine with being a #2 or #3, even though he had the talent of a #1 and excelled at it, particularly in best Portland days.

The two aren't comparable. If you put Rasheed's basketball mind in McGee, he would easily be a top 3 center in the league.

Wallace knew what to do, how to do it, and what he wanted to be. McGee needs velcro straps on his shoes to not trip over himself.

CelticBaller
07-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Lamar Odom is a prime example

no pun intended
07-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Untapped potential?

Lamar Odom.

The man is/was good. But he could've been as good as Magic Johnson.

SyRyanYang
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Untapped potential?

Lamar Odom.

The man is/was good. But he could've been as good as Magic Johnson.

Lol that's too much

Xiao Yao You
07-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Sheed wasn't a waste of talent like McGee is.

He was pretty ****ing good, regardless on how he appeared to take the game on the court. From what I recall, he was terrific teammate (by their accounts) and had a very high basketball IQ. One of the best in the league while he played, imo, and there are many quotes from his past coaches and teammates who agree.

Too bad he didn't use that so called high IQ to take advantage of the best post moves in the league instead of launching 3's.

Deuce Bigalow
07-29-2012, 09:25 PM
He was just unlucky and born into this era. He would be a God in the 50's and 60's.

Bbbbbbut Wilt played against hall of famers like Russell and Ballamy

no pun intended
07-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Lol that's too much
"He is the only player to come into this league that had the ability to play like Earvin"

-Pat Riley

SyRyanYang
07-29-2012, 09:38 PM
"He is the only player to come into this league that had the ability to play like Earvin"

-Pat Riley
"that had the ability to play like Earvin"
To play like Magic doesn't mean he can be as good as Magic. Pat basically meant Lamar's style reminded him of Earvin and that's all.

SyRyanYang
07-29-2012, 09:39 PM
He was just unlucky and born into this era. He would be a God in the 50's and 60's.

When you hated someone so bad, you ended up being one of them.

LiLharvard
07-29-2012, 09:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_avery_bradley.jpg

Bandito
07-29-2012, 09:46 PM
you just summarizes lebrons career right there.

tmacattack33
07-29-2012, 09:51 PM
It was probably mentioned in this thread already, but: Derrick Coleman.

Also, T-mac had some amazing seasons and he did get injured and so he has that excuse, but he has admitted to really not caring much about basketball and so i'm sure if he put more into it he could have recovered better from his injury and had a few more star level seasons.

NugzFan
07-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Maybe if McGee grows some brains.... He probably lead the league in :facepalm worthy boneheaded plays.

fixed. he isnt in washington anymore

lilgodfather1
07-29-2012, 10:53 PM
LeBron James has more untapped potential than he does.

CarlosBoozer
07-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Lebron obviously, if he had polished post game and a reliable jumper... then no one could really stop him.

EGarrett
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM

What the hell is stopping this guy from evolving in to a hall of famer? Hes a bit dumb damn..http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1979/1217_large.jpg

2LeTTeRS
07-30-2012, 11:05 AM

You realize that McGee couldn't even dominate the unathletic 6'8 players that suited up against him in the WAC Conference right? Absolutely no way he dominates grown men in any era.

no pun intended
07-30-2012, 08:34 PM
"that had the ability to play like Earvin"
To play like Magic doesn't mean he can be as good as Magic. Pat basically meant Lamar's style reminded him of Earvin and that's all.
"Had the ability to play like Earvin" means you have the potential to play like him.

Jameerthefear
07-30-2012, 09:34 PM

You mean an NBA player paid 10+ mil a year would beat me one on one?!

LikeABosh
07-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Because he's dumb as shit, a bit clumsy, has no touch, low basketball IQ, and has no feel for the game.

InspiredLebowski
07-31-2012, 03:28 AM
Jon Bender. **** knee cartilage. Started looking like he was putting it together the last year of his rookie deal (after looking LOST a lot of the time before), then boom, the knees. But he's done great things with that one big extension he got, so it's not a complete loss.