PDA

View Full Version : Rondo says He's Best PG in the NBA

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Let me start by saying, that I think he isnt. But he should and clearly has the right to make that claim. While he isnt the best, IMO, he's certainly in the conversation. I dont even like the guy, but he's a floor general and a walking triple double, sometimes and if he could shoot consistently it wouldnt even be a conversation.

My top 5(sans the injured Rose)
1. CP3
2. D-Will
3. Rondo
4. Westbrook
5. Parker??

Link to Interview (http://www.nesn.com/2012/07/rajon-rondo-thinks-hes-best-point-guard-in-nba-hopes-to-play-entire-career-with-celtics.html)

Sorry if this was posted already, searched didnt see anything on it.

JohnnySic
07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
He has a case.

StateOfMind12
07-30-2012, 02:50 PM
1. Paul
2. Westbrook
3. Deron
4. Nash
5. Rondo
6. Parker

Rose is #2 if he were healthy but he is not so he doesn't even make the list.

fpliii
07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
He doesn't have a case IMO, but he's up there. My top 5:

1) CP3
2) Westbrook
3) Rondo
4) Parker
5) DWill/Nash

with a healthy DRose tied at 3 with RR. Best defender at the position though (CP gambles a bit much nowadays).

greymatter
07-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Well, Rondo's a retard. So what else is new?

It's easy to rack up assists when you played with 3 HoFers who are damn good shooters. Put him in Phoenix in Nash's place where his 2nd best player is Marcin Gortat and he wouldn't come anywhere close to 10apg. Put CP3 in Rondo's place and they would have won at least 4 of the last 5 titles.

MisterAmazing
07-30-2012, 02:53 PM
He doesn't have a case IMO, but he's up there. My top 5:

1) CP3
2) Westbrook
3) Rondo
4) DWill
5) Nash/Parker

with a healthy DRose tied at 3 with RR. Best defender at the position though (CP gambles a bit much nowadays).

Fixed. Rondo and Westbrook are a toss up for the #2 spot imo but I think Westbrook wins out.

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
He has a case.

He does. Hurts my chest to say it but he really does. To go from the "weak link"( i remember people saying that he was too young and would hold the big 3 back that first year) of the championship team to being a top 5 point guard now. Makes the Celtics go and has really helped in extending the career of KG.

Levity
07-30-2012, 02:55 PM

It's easy to rack up assists when you played with 3 HoFers who are damn good shooters. Put him in Phoenix in Nash's place where his 2nd best player is Marcin Gortat and he wouldn't come anywhere close to 10apg. Put CP3 in Rondo's place and they would have won at least 4 of the last 5 titles.

last years suns? a team with a great pnr big man and a line up full of shooters.... i think he would have been just fine.

FireMcFailPlease
07-30-2012, 02:56 PM
im going to hold my judgement on rondo on how well he carries a team now that ray allens gone, kg is 37 and pierce isnt a spring chicken anymore.

most nights he cant shoot for shit

Kevin_Garnett_5
07-30-2012, 02:59 PM

:oldlol: @ acting like the Big 3 are still playing at a HOF level.

:oldlol: @ acting like Rondo hasn't played just as well, if not better when the Big 3 don't play.

This entire argument was rendered obsolete in like 09.

fpliii
07-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Fixed. Rondo and Westbrook are a toss up for the #2 spot imo but I think Westbrook wins out.

I actually had Nash at 4 before I edited my post. TBH I underrate DWill a bit because I tend to overrate the importance of a PG's defense (though neither Nash nor Parker is a lockdown defender, really).

Not sure why I rate the guy so low, most have him neck-and-neck with Paul for best point in the league. :confusedshrug:

I guess I'm just a hater.

BTW nice avatar

Nash
07-30-2012, 03:02 PM
He absolutely has a case. And CP3 is way overrated. He's good, but overrated.

qrich
07-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I have him at #3 though 3-5 are pretty damn interchangeable.

1] Deron
2] Paul
3] Rondo
4] Parker
5] Westbrook

A healthy Rose would be #3 to me, dropping everyone below him a spot.

RRR3
07-30-2012, 03:05 PM
The fact that people question whether CP3 is the best PG automatically makes him underrated. It shouldn't be a debate.

MisterAmazing
07-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I actually had Nash at 4 before I edited my post. TBH I underrate DWill a bit because I tend to overrate the importance of a PG's defense (though neither Nash nor Parker is a lockdown defender, really).

Not sure why I rate the guy so low, most have him neck-and-neck with Paul for best point in the league. :confusedshrug:

I guess I'm just a hater.

BTW nice avatar

Yeah idk I think he's below Rondo and Westbrook.
And right back atchya :cheers:

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 03:10 PM

How is he overrated?

RRR3
07-30-2012, 03:11 PM
How is he overrated?
He's not, but Deron Williams sure as hell is. Most overated player on ISH. :facepalm :roll: @ D-Will being the best PG :facepalm

fpliii
07-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah idk I think he's below Rondo and Westbrook.
And right back atchya :cheers:

:cheers:

from the way people are talking about the 'feud', you'd think there's an outside chance Rondo blows up without Ray Allen

dannywpt
07-30-2012, 03:12 PM
1. Rose
2. Paul
3. Westbrook
4. Williams
5. Rondo
6. Parker

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 03:18 PM
He's not, but Deron Williams sure as hell is. Most overated player on ISH. :facepalm :roll: @ D-Will being the best PG :facepalm

:lol . He's up there though? Best? Nah. Think last year at least to start he was unmotivated. I'm sure when he goes off at certain points of this year with a better squad the old CP3/Dwill arguments will rear up again

Jacks3
07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Nash is still top 3. 13/11 on 62% TS. Huge +/- numbers. Took a garbage team and had them 9th in ORTG. lol @ Rondo over him. :facepalm

Heavincent
07-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Rose is the best PG in the league when healthy.

dunksby
07-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Agreed, he is top 5 but 4th best PG at the highest.

greymatter
07-30-2012, 03:33 PM
last years suns? a team with a great pnr big man and a line up full of shooters.... i think he would have been just fine.

They still aren't PP, Ray Allen, or KG. I didn't say he wouldn't produce, but certainly he's in a much better situation to run a well-oiled offense than Nash's recent Suns' teams. Only reason he gets more assists is because he plays more minutes and has superior talent around him.

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
1. Rose
2. Paul
3. Westbrook
4. Williams
5. Rondo
6. Parker

Pre injury rose?

ihatetimthomas
07-30-2012, 03:45 PM
im going to hold my judgement on rondo on how well he carries a team now that ray allens gone, kg is 37 and pierce isnt a spring chicken anymore.

most nights he cant shoot for shit

Yeah, like Ray Allen was really making Rondo who he was the last few years. Its incredible how little credit Rondo gets form some people. He has made the "big 3" much better. He was their best player last year. C's are really not contenders at all without him. Yeah his shooting is a weak spot but he does everything else at a elite level. Dude has a case for the best in the biz.

FKAri
07-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Top 4 (in no order):

Rose
CP3
Deron
Westbrook

5. Rondo
6. Parker
7. Nash
8. Kyrie

jdm_dc_fan
07-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Top 4 (in no order):

Rose
CP3
Deron
Westbrook

5. Rondo
6. Parker
7. Nash
8. Kyrie
Who the fukc does a top 4? That's like having a top 9 list. Obviously trying to discredit rondo.

My list is as of today an not what they did 2 seasons ago.

1. CP (obviously)
2. RW (playoffs performance)
3. RR9 (playoffs performance. Mr 3double)
4. Tony Parker
5. Derrin Williams

6. Steve Nash
7. Kyrie Irving

Tenchi Ryu
07-30-2012, 04:15 PM
The fact that people question whether CP3 is the best PG automatically makes him underrated. It shouldn't be a debate.
This is why people say CP3 is overrated. When people say shit like this, the whole "its not debatable" mess.

Bellinelli just said the other day he's played with Cp3 and feels Rose is better. So people do have different opinions on the matter.

CelticBaller
07-30-2012, 04:29 PM

3 Hfoers? do they still play like Hofers? no, so lets not use that argument. Rondo is the motor of KG, our offense was a mess without KG and Rondo on the same floor, you're talking about guys that can't create their offense on nightly bases, yeah sure Pierce can still play on a high level but that puts too much strain on him and he clearly has stated that Rondo makes the game alot easier for him.

Rondo on the Suns? With a nice PnR big and a bunch of shooters? That's easy 10 assist per game right there for him

Chris Paul on the celtics? You mean the guy that ****ed up his knee and neck in the lasts years? Sure we would've three peated :rolleyes:

God I can't wait to see if people are going to use the 2 HoFers argument if he avgs 10+ assist per game

StateOfMind12
07-30-2012, 04:29 PM
This is why people say CP3 is overrated. When people say shit like this, the whole "its not debatable" mess.

Bellinelli just said the other day he's played with Cp3 and feels Rose is better. So people do have different opinions on the matter.
The only reason why it is not debatable right now or not much of one is because Rose is injured and not healthy right now and has been for the past season.

If someone were to say Chris Paul is the best PG in the NBA and it's not debatable whether Rose is healthy or not then I would have to say that is overrating CP3 but I'm not sure anyone who thinks this.

I'm a Bulls fan and I do think that when both of these guys are healthy that CP3 is a little better. In 2011, I said Rose was better than Paul because he was more durable and healthy than Paul was at the time since CP3 was the one suffering multiple and major injuries. When both of them are at full health though, I do think Paul is a little better.

IGOTGAME
07-30-2012, 04:52 PM
1. Paul
2. Westbrook
3. Deron
4. Nash
5. Rondo
6. Parker

Rose is #2 if he were healthy but he is not so he doesn't even make the list.

Please just give me an argument for how Nash(right now) is better than Rondo. I just don't see how one can make the argument. Also, same goes for Westbrook.

StateOfMind12
07-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Please just give me an argument for how Nash(right now) is better than Rondo. I just don't see how one can make the argument. Also, same goes for Westbrook.
Those two are more consistent, better shooters, more efficient, and better scorers than RR is.

dannywpt
07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Pre injury rose?

Just Rose in general. Rose is the best point guard in the NBA.

Evidence: You don't have to look further back than to dec 30 2011 when he took a dump on CP3 with 29/16/8. :rockon:

IGOTGAME
07-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Those two are more consistent, better shooters, more efficient, and better scorers than RR is.

Rondo is very consistent. Way more consistent than Westbrook and definitely more consistent than a old Nash who can't play many minutes and has to consistently be hidden on defense and can't function outside the pick and roll at this stage.

Rondo is the most disrespected star in this league. Guy dominates games without having to score(which everyone wants) and then people get on him for not scoring. Guess what, when his teams needs him to score guy steps up and scores on the best defenders in the world.

But, everyone is entitled to there opinion. However, I don't think there are any playoff teams in the NBA that would be better off with Westbrook than Rondo.

WockaVodka
07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Rondo is very consistent. Way more consistent than Westbrook and definitely more consistent than a old Nash who can't play many minutes and has to consistently be hidden on defense and can't function outside the pick and roll at this stage.
I don't believe you watch Rondo a whole lot if you think he is consistent. He usually coasts in the regular season and doesn't play hard while he steps up and plays hard in the post-season similar to what Shaq would do.

I think Rondo is better than Nash but not Westbrook.

ncrizzle
07-30-2012, 05:12 PM
The top 5 PGs in tbe league are very arguable. I think you can make a case for Paul, Rose, Rondo, Williams, and Parker. IMO CP3 is tops because of his defense compared to the rest

SilkkTheShocker
07-30-2012, 05:21 PM
I have him at #3 though 3-5 are pretty damn interchangeable.

1] Deron
2] Paul
3] Rondo
4] Parker
5] Westbrook

A healthy Rose would be #3 to me, dropping everyone below him a spot.

Deron has no case over CP3. none.

fsvr54
07-30-2012, 05:21 PM
I agree with Rondo, he is indeed the best PG in the game.

hoopaddict08
07-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Having a point-guard that can shoot is more of a luxuary than a necessity. I will take a point-guard that can provide defense and some scoring ability as opposed to one who can score and get scored on.

Rondo is a top three point-guard in the league. Only Paul, and Rose are ahead of him. However in certain situations, I would select Rondo over those two. For instance, the Lakers before they acquired Steve Nash were in talks of "trying" to get Chris Paul. His name might have sounded more attractive to Laker fans but Rondo would have been the better fit.

I used to hate Rajon Rondo. Was one of the many that thought he was a product of the big three. But he has stepped up for Boston in huge ways.

IGOTGAME
07-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't believe you watch Rondo a whole lot if you think he is consistent. He usually coasts in the regular season and doesn't play hard while he steps up and plays hard in the post-season similar to what Shaq would do.

I think Rondo is better than Nash but not Westbrook.

I just don't think the regular season is very important. I don't place a high value on it. There are a few big games in the regular season to test yourself, besides that the majority of the games are meaningless. The only consistency that I concern myself with is in the playoffs when the games matter.

SilkkTheShocker
07-30-2012, 05:27 PM
I would still take CP3 over Rondo. But I can see the arguement for him being the best. Like I said in another thread, Rondo will always be underrated because is a whiny f.aggot. Tremendous player though.

Yung D-Will
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
1) Deron
2) CP3
3) Rondo
4) Westbrook
5. Nash

When everyone healthy

1.) Rose
2.) D-Will
3.) Cp3
4) Rondo
5) Westbrook

SilkkTheShocker
07-30-2012, 05:30 PM
1) Deron
2) CP3
3) Rondo
4) Westbrook
5. Nash

When everyone healthy

1.) Rose
2.) D-Will
3.) Cp3
4) Rondo
5) Westbrook

Deron has no case over CP3. None.

TeamLAC
07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
1. CP3
2. Healthy Rose
3. Rondo
4. Westbrook
5. Nash

Yung D-Will
07-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Kay I can make statements also. Statements.

CelticBaller
07-30-2012, 05:37 PM
he has a beard tho

Story Up
07-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Paul
Rondo
Williams
Westbrook
Nash

Rose when healthy is 2nd best, IMO.

SilkkTheShocker
07-30-2012, 05:39 PM
he has a beard tho

lol, that may be his only case oer CP3. Replace Deron with CP3 on the Nets and they are a better team. I would also rather have Westbrook and Rondo over Deron.

WockaVodka
07-30-2012, 05:40 PM
I just don't think the regular season is very important. I don't place a high value on it. There are a few big games in the regular season to test yourself, besides that the majority of the games are meaningless. The only consistency that I concern myself with is in the playoffs when the games matter.
Regular season matters considering how you don't make the post-season without having a good regular season record. Also, the better your regular season record is the better and more advantages you will have in the post-season which gives you and your team a better chance to succeed.

SilkkTheShocker
07-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Kay I can make statements also. Statements.

You can say whatever you want. Its a public message board. Doesn't change the fact that Deron has no case over being a better player than CP3.

ihatetimthomas
07-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Regular season matters considering how you don't make the post-season without having a good regular season record. Also, the better your regular season record is the better and more advantages you will have in the post-season which gives you and your team a better chance to succeed.

Regular season does matter but really what matters most and what everyone looks at and remembers is the post season. There are ton of guys who have great reg seasons but fall in the post season. Rondo is a guy who actually gets better in the playoffs consistently.

SilkkTheShocker
07-30-2012, 05:44 PM

This. I can live with Rondo's bad shooting. Jason Kidd is one of my favorite players ever and he has multiple seasons of sub 40% shooting. Its the whole coasting thing that I can't get over. Rondo is a beast, but he isn't Shaq.

SilkkTheShocker
07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Regular season does matter but really what matters most and what everyone looks at and remembers is the post season. There are ton of guys who have great reg seasons but fall in the post season. Rondo is a guy who actually gets better in the playoffs consistently.

Playoffs are definitely more important. But you still want to put yourself in the best positon to success (homecourt advantage). Think if Boston had home court advantage when Miami was missing Bosh? Good chance Boston moves on to the Finals.

Yung D-Will
07-30-2012, 05:47 PM
You can say whatever you want. Its a public message board. Doesn't change the fact that Deron has no case over being a better player than CP3.

I was simply laughing at your statement, which you made, with nothing else to support it. Everyone else is doing what the op asked, which is simply posting their list and moving along, so if you're gonna go against the norm, and make a statement at least offer something more than a vague, "D-Will has no case over Cp3". The thread maker didn't suggest that we explain our reasons for our list, so that means you being the one who's made vague statements, in regard to two posters in this thread, should be the one to explain the reasons for your statements rather than vice versa.

jdm_dc_fan
07-30-2012, 05:55 PM
It's funny that the posters that have the most respect are coming from the East. Knicks, miami, hawks and bulls fans know what Rondo Does in the ECF. Even lakerss fan tend to give rajon respect. :bowdown:

tmacattack33
07-30-2012, 05:57 PM
He isn't. He has a slight case though. Still, i don't see why he had to say it. He definitely comes off as arrogant. I can see why Ray Allen wanted to leave.

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Just Rose in general. Rose is the best point guard in the NBA.

Evidence: You don't have to look further back than to dec 30 2011 when he took a dump on CP3 with 29/16/8. :rockon:

:lol yeah he's never matched up well against Rose but who does!? I don't see Rose regaining his dominance for a long time (if at all) so can't put him in top 5 till I see how much athleticism he retains post injury.

Celtic_Pride
07-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Rondo's record in the regular season for National TV games is MVPesque. Something like 18/12/7 and close to 50% shooting. That's the record against elite teams in the regular season.

So Bird is more consistent, better shooter, more efficient and a better scorer than Magic and yet you say Magic is a better player :rolleyes:

Last postseason,

Rondo - 46.8 FG%
Westbrook - 43.5 FG%

Career,

Rondo - 48 FG%
Westbrook - 43 FG%

There goes your better shooter bullsh!t. And you say Westbrook is more efficient than Rondo! LMAO

And how the fvck is Westbrook more consistent than Rondo? With Rondo you know what you are getting. He will hardly lose games by himself. Westbrook shoots his team out of the game by chucking so bad. How does that make Westbrook more consistent?

RaininTwos
07-30-2012, 06:03 PM
He has a case.
I agree with this, so I have no problem with him saying this.

RRR3
07-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Rondo's record in the regular season for National TV games is MVPesque. Something like 18/12/7 and close to 50% shooting. That's the record against elite teams in the regular season.

So Bird is more consistent, better shooter, more efficient and a better scorer than Magic and yet you say Magic is a better player :rolleyes:

Last postseason,

Rondo - 46.8 FG%
Westbrook - 43.5 FG%

Career,

Rondo - 48 FG%
Westbrook - 43 FG%

There goes your better shooter bullsh!t. And you say Westbrook is more efficient than Rondo! LMAO

And how the fvck is Westbrook more consistent than Rondo? With Rondo you know what you are getting. He will hardly lose games by himself. Westbrook shoots his team out of the game by chucking so bad. How does that make Westbrook more consistent?

:facepalm
Rondo gets the most room to shoot of any perimeter player in the NBA and it's not even remotely close. He gets left WIDE THE **** OPEN and still bricks most of the time. He freakin' blows layups a lot too. Westbrook is a very good midrange shooter but takes a lot of stupid shots. Westbrook actually gets defensive attention when he squares up to shoot, though and Westbrook can actually hit a 3 without a miracle occuring.

Kevin_Garnett_5
07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Rondo gets the most room to shoot of any perimeter player in the NBA and it's not even remotely close. He gets left WIDE THE **** OPEN and still bricks most of the time. He freakin' blows layups a lot too. Westbrook is a very good midrange shooter but takes a lot of stupid shots. Westbrook actually gets defensive attention when he squares up to shoot, though and Westbrook can actually hit a 3 without a miracle occuring.
:rolleyes: Breaking news: Rondo isn't a good shooter. What a shocking revelation! Never heard that one before.

I'm fine with him not being a great shooter if he's consistently going to be a top 2 PG in the Playoffs like he has been the past few years. There was not one PG in the league I would have rather had in that 2012 Playoff run than Rondo the way he was playing.

Celtic_Pride
07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Rondo gets the most room to shoot of any perimeter player in the NBA and it's not even remotely close. Westbrook is a very good midrange shooter but takes a lot of stupid shots.

That is because nobody can guard Rondo physically since he will blow by them. Defenses will try to play the passing game daring him to shoot. Westbrook taking a lot of stupid shots should make him less efficient than Rondo.

He gets left WIDE THE **** OPEN and still bricks most of the time. He freakin' blows layups a lot too.

Career,

Rondo - 48 FG%
Westbrook - 43 FG%

If Rondo bricks a lot of open shots and layups, then what do you say about Westbrook?

Westbrook actually gets defensive attention when he squares up to shoot, though and Westbrook can actually hit a 3 without a miracle occuring.

Westbrook gets defensive attention playing with the best scorer in the league?

Last playoffs,

Rondo - 26.7 3P%
Westbrook - 27.7 3P%

Miracle occuring huh!

Story Up
07-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Rondo s arguably the best facilitator, rebounder and defender at PG. Who cares if shooting isn't his strength? He is still efficient at scoring, overall. Besides Nash he is the best pure PG in the league today. Nash is much better at shooting, possibly slightly better at facilitating but Rondo is far better defender and rebounder.

Nash is so underrated now, some ppl seriously picking Parker over him? Wow.

Bigsmoke
07-30-2012, 06:30 PM
The top 5 PGs in tbe league are very arguable. I think you can make a case for Paul, Rose, Rondo, Williams, and Parker. IMO CP3 is tops because of his defense compared to the rest

CP3's defense is aight.

I'll crown dude as the best PG because he's clearly a biggest difference maker from all of the other PGs we have out now.

RazorBaLade
07-30-2012, 06:33 PM
That is because nobody can guard Rondo physically since he will blow by them. Defenses will try to play the passing game daring him to shoot. Westbrook taking a lot of stupid shots should make him less efficient than Rondo.

Career,

Rondo - 48 FG%
Westbrook - 43 FG%

If Rondo bricks a lot of open shots and layups, then what do you say about Westbrook?

Last playoffs,

Rondo - 26.7 3P%
Westbrook - 27.7 3P%

Miracle occuring huh!

the shit that make your soul burn slow

swi7ch
07-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes he is. Problem is, he's not the best PG in the world due to his lack of outside shot. Zone defense would make USA lose a lot.

TonyD
07-30-2012, 06:44 PM
At the least, there's a good chance he'll be the best PG in the East next season.

StateOfMind12
07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Magic and Rondo are nothing alike. Magic wasn't as good of a shooter as Bird was but Magic was more than capable of a shooter and had a very good mid-range game, not to mention Magic was automatic at the FT line whereas Rondo shoots in Shaq-Dwight level.

Magic was actually just as efficient, if not more efficient than Bird was. I think in the playoffs, Magic was even more efficient though because Bird was a bit up and down in that regard.

Last postseason,

Rondo - 46.8 FG%
Westbrook - 43.5 FG%

Career,

Rondo - 48 FG%
Westbrook - 43 FG%

You should compare their TS% which includes how many 3s they take and how good they are at converting from the FT line.

2012 post-season

Westbrook - 50.6% TS%
Rondo - 50.5% TS%

Career

Westbrook - 51.6% TS%
Rondo - 51.3% TS%

It's actually about the same but the slight edge to Westbrook. Nash has a complete advantage over Rondo in efficiency though whether it is TS%, FG%, and whatever. I was mainly referring to him when talking about more efficient.

Westbrook plays his heart out each and every night whether it is a playoff game or a regular season game. As that one poster said Rondo coasts a lot especially in the regular season. If Rondo played like he did in the 2012 post-season all the time then Rondo would be the best PG in the league but he doesn't which is why he isn't the best PG in the league.

Consistency is my biggest value and Rondo lacks it while Westbrook has it.

StateOfMind12
07-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Having a point-guard that can shoot is more of a luxuary than a necessity. I will take a point-guard that can provide defense and some scoring ability as opposed to one who can score and get scored on.

It is actually the other way around. PGs don't make as much of an impact defensively than wing players and big men do. They make the least impact defensively so you can get away with a defensive liability like PG although Nash isn't one imo. It's not hard to hide weak defensive PGs, I believe Magic was even like this and he would always guard the team's weakest defender. Kobe was like this but he is a wing player and he is a capable defender.

It's better to have a PG that can shoot and have spacing and efficient because that way other scorers on your team won't constantly face as double teams due to the fact that they would respect that PGs jump shooting ability.

If you can't shoot then defenses and teams will constantly sag off of that player and have that defender on the PG be the guy that double teams and traps other players on the team.

Spacing is huge especially in today's game where the 3 point shot is utilized more and more.

RRR3
07-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Career,

Rondo - 48 FG%
Westbrook - 43 FG%

Last playoffs,

Rondo - 26.7 3P%
Westbrook - 27.7 3P%

Miracle occuring huh!

Tyson Chandler best shooter in the league! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :rolleyes:

longhornfan1234
07-30-2012, 07:10 PM
LETTUCE CEREAL... Rondo is a better passer, slasher, defender, and rebounder.

CP3 got swept while playing alongside a top 15-20 player and STACKED bench.

Rondo carried an old/cripple squad to ECF. Took the WORLD CHAMPIONS to game 7.

Celtic_Pride
07-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Magic and Rondo are nothing alike. Magic wasn't as good of a shooter as Bird was but Magic was more than capable of a shooter and had a very good mid-range game, not to mention Magic was automatic at the FT line whereas Rondo shoots in Shaq-Dwight level.

I wasn't comparing Magic and Rondo but pointing out the double standard in your post. Truth is Bird is a wayyyyy better shooter than Magic no matter what BS you spew.

You should compare their TS% which includes how many 3s they take and how good they are at converting from the FT line.

So you are comparing TS% to decide who is the better shooter? Lebron has a better TS% than Kobe and Bird. Does this make him a better shooter than Kobe or Larry?

To be honest, both Rondo and Westbrook are not reliable shooters and are awful in catch and shoot situations. Rondo takes less dumb shots and is more efficient, hence his FG% is much better than Westbrook!

Westbrook plays his heart out each and every night whether it is a playoff game or a regular season game. As that one poster said Rondo coasts a lot especially in the regular season. If Rondo played like he did in the 2012 post-season all the time then Rondo would be the best PG in the league but he doesn't which is why he isn't the best PG in the league.

Consistency is my biggest value and Rondo lacks it while Westbrook has it.

So playing your heart out each and every night will make a player more consistent than another?

Even CP3 coasts in the regular season all the time, so according to your logic he should be less consistent than Westbrook :facepalm

Celtic_Pride
07-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Tyson Chandler best shooter in the league! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :rolleyes:

The point is we are comparing Rondo and Westbrook as shooters

Answer this Question straight:

Since you said Westbrook is a better shooter because Rondo misses a ton of open shots and bricks layups, how does he have a way better FG% than Westbrook?

RRR3
07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
The point is we are comparing Rondo and Westbrook as shooters

Answer this Question straight:

Since you said Westbrook is a better shooter because Rondo misses a ton of open shots and bricks layups, how does he have a way better FG% than Westbrook?
Rondo is 50x smarter and takes high percentage shots for the most part. Westbrook is an idiot. Not hard.

Celtic_Pride
07-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Rondo is 50x smarter and takes high percentage shots for the most part. Westbrook is an idiot. Not hard.

Higher percentage shots are either layups or dunks. Rondo doesn't dunk anymore, he blows a lot of layups according to you.

I am pretty sure Westbrook has a lot more points than Rondo in the open court due to the pace at which OKC plays. But still Rondo has a way better FG% than Westbrook.

How does this explain that Westbrook is a better shooter than Rondo? If anything this proves that Rondo's FG% as a jump shooter is much better than Westbrook's!

RRR3
07-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Higher percentage shots are either layups or dunks. Rondo doesn't dunk anymore, he blows a lot of layups according to you.

I am pretty sure Westbrook has a lot more points than Rondo in the open court due to the pace at which OKC plays. But still Rondo has a way better FG% than Westbrook.

How does this explain that Westbrook is a better shooter than Rondo? If anything this proves that Rondo's FG% as a jump shooter is much better than Westbrook's!
Westbrook shot 39% on jumpers last year, and he took 1168 jump shots. http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shooting.cgi?player_id=westbru01&year_id=2012

Rondo shot 36% on jumpers and he only took 447. http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shooting.cgi?player_id=rondora01&year_id=2012

Breaking it down further...

3-9 feet: Westbrook 34.7% (82-236), Rondo 31.9% (45-141)
10-15 feet: Westbrook 40.7% (132-324), Rondo 37.8% (28-74)
16 feet to 3PT line: Westbrook 45.5% (165-363), Rondo 41.3% (78-189)
3PT line and beyond: Westbrook 30.7% (80-261), Rondo 25.0% (18-72)

Keep in mind WB gets much more attention, and it's not even close. :facepalm

jdm_dc_fan
07-30-2012, 07:39 PM
I think I've seen westbrook miss just as many dunks as rondo layups. :lol

Rondo does a lot of things other PG don't want to do. I want to see RW take only 8 FGA while scoring 10 points, 10 boards along with 10 assist and win the game. He can't do it, no discipline.

Celtic_Pride
07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
I thought we were talking about career here.

Good job comparing Rondo's worst shooting year in his career with Westbrook's career best year as a shooter!

RRR3
07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
I thought we were talking about career here.

Good job comparing Rondo's worst year in his career(apart from rookie year) as a shooter with Westbrook's career best year as a shooter!

Westbrook became a much better shooter this past year. Regardless, Rondo is by far the worst shooting PG I've ever seen. He can be efficient all he wants, he still can't shoot for shit.

StateOfMind12
07-30-2012, 08:29 PM
I wasn't comparing Magic and Rondo but pointing out the double standard in your post. Truth is Bird is a wayyyyy better shooter than Magic no matter what BS you spew.
Bird is the better shooter but it's not the difference between Rondo and Westbrook or Rondo and Nash. It's more like the difference between Ray Allen and Kobe Bryant.

So you are comparing TS% to decide who is the better shooter? Lebron has a better TS% than Kobe and Bird. Does this make him a better shooter than Kobe or Larry?

I'm using TS% to determine who is more efficient. If we want to determine who is a better shooter, we should use 3P% or FT% or the hoopdata percentages of how Rondo and Westbrook shoot from 10-15 ft or 16-23 ft and in this case Westbrook completely destroys Rondo.

So playing your heart out each and every night will make a player more consistent than another?
Is this a serious question? Because the answer is yes.

Even CP3 coasts in the regular season all the time, so according to your logic he should be less consistent than Westbrook :facepalm
He coasted in 2011 but not in 2012 but that has more to due with the fact that he wasn't fully recovered from his injury in 2011 where as he did in 2012.

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
It's hard to compare Rondo shooting %s with Westbrook. As far as the "blow by" defense vs "the he can't shoot" defense you gotta go with it being more about the latter. D.Rose can blow by anyone but you don't see them playing that much off him.

WockaVodka
07-30-2012, 09:15 PM
It's hard to compare Rondo shooting %s with Westbrook. As far as the "blow by" defense vs "the he can't shoot" defense you gotta go with it being more about the latter. D.Rose can blow by anyone but you don't see them playing that much off him.
Rose is closer to Westbrook than he is to Rondo so I'm not sure what your analogy is all about.

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Rose is closer to Westbrook than he is to Rondo so I'm not sure what your analogy is all about.

Earlier in the thread, a c's fan said that Rondo is played off like that and doesn't see physical d because he'd blow by anybody. I don't buy it.

Kevin_Garnett_5
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Earlier in the thread, a c's fan said that Rondo is played off like that and doesn't see physical d because he'd blow by anybody. I don't buy it.
Are you kidding? He gets to the rim at WILL. You should watch some highlights from his postseason run this year.

NOHCP3
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Are you kidding? He gets to the rim at WILL. You should watch some highlights from his postseason run this year.

I'm not saying that he doesn't. Trust me I saw the dude go crazy against Miami for most of the series.But they give him that space more because of his lack of shooting then respect for his blow by ability. Very few players are that kind of explosive where they are giving you that much space

LikeABosh
07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
In no particular order I'll take Chris Paul, D Will, Westbrook, Rose, and Parker over Rondo. It's my opinion, not a fact ,but whatever. I like my point guard to be able to hit open shots, make free throws, and not be an asshole of a teammate

Celtic_Pride
07-30-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm using TS% to determine who is more efficient. If we want to determine who is a better shooter, we should use 3P% or FT% or the hoopdata percentages of how Rondo and Westbrook shoot from 10-15 ft or 16-23 ft and in this case Westbrook completely destroys Rondo.

For their careers according to hoopdata percentages,

10-15 feet

Rondo 38.5%
Westbrook 34.3%

16-23 feet

Rondo 37.4%
Westbrook 38.2%

This is for regular season. I am pretty confident Rondo will have better % in the playoffs too.

So basically from 10 - 23 feet, Rondo shoots better than Westbrook. Err..completely destroying? :oldlol:

StateOfMind12
07-30-2012, 10:10 PM

10-15 feet

Rondo 38.5%
Westbrook 34.3%

16-23 feet

Rondo 37.4%
Westbrook 38.2%

This is for regular season. I am pretty confident Rondo will have better % in the playoffs too.

So basically from 10 - 23 feet, Rondo shoots better than Westbrook. Err..completely destroying? :oldlol:
I really don't know why you calculated for their career when we are talking about how they are right now.

Plus, how did you even calculate their career? did you seriously add up all those makes and misses and did the math? If so, you wasted your time because it is actually quite irrelevant to this thread.

We are talking about who the best PGs in the NBA are right now and the most recent stats we can use and talk about are 2012.

2012 stats of Rondo and Westbrook's mid-range game

10-15 ft

Westbrook - 37.7% FG - 3.7 fga
Rondo - 27.8% FG - 0.7 fga

Westbrook - +9.9 advantage

16-23 ft

Westbrook - 43% FG - 5.2 fga
Rondo - 39% FG - 2.9 fga

Westbrook - +4 advantage

So yes, Westbrook's mid-range/jump shot completely destroys his especially when you factor in how many more shots Westbrook took. I'm glad you decided not to compare their 3 point shots though, lol.

Mach_3
07-30-2012, 10:15 PM

10-15 feet

Rondo 38.5%
Westbrook 34.3%

16-23 feet

Rondo 37.4%
Westbrook 38.2%

I'd actually love to see Rondo's %s this postseason as a jumpshooter cuz he looked much improved in his jumpshooting and looked more confident. He also shot nearly 70% from the freethrow line this postseason which is a pretty good improvement. I could care less who's a markedly better shooter than the other though because one of these guys is a PG while the other isn't.

Mach_3
07-30-2012, 10:16 PM
I really don't know why you calculated for their career when we are talking about how they are right now.

Plus, how did you even calculate their career? did you seriously add up all those makes and misses and did the math? If so, you wasted your time because it is actually quite irrelevant to this thread.

We are talking about who the best PGs in the NBA are right now and the most recent stats we can use and talk about are 2012.

2012 stats of Rondo and Westbrook's mid-range game

10-15 ft

Westbrook - 37.7% FG - 3.7 fga
Rondo - 27.8% FG - 0.7 fga

Westbrook - +9.9 advantage

16-23 ft

Westbrook - 43% FG - 5.2 fga
Rondo - 39% FG - 2.9 fga

Westbrook - +4 advantage

So yes, Westbrook's mid-range/jump shot completely destroys his especially when you factor in how many more shots Westbrook took. I'm glad you decided not to compare their 3 point shots though, lol.

Westbrook is a better shooter no doubt. But Rondo had a down year due to a lot of nagging injuries he had throughout the season. He showed he was a better shooter than his numbers suggest this postseason imo when he got healthy

StateOfMind12
07-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd actually love to see Rondo's %s this postseason as a jumpshooter cuz he looked much improved in his jumpshooting and looked more confident. He also shot nearly 70% from the freethrow line this postseason which is a pretty good improvement. I could care less who's a markedly better shooter than the other though because one of these guys is a PG while the other isn't.
Rondo shot 44% (35-79) from mid-range in the 2012 NBA playoffs.

It's from NBA.com advanced stats.

http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/

Just for comparison sake,

Westbrook shot 46% (74-160) from mid-range in the 2012 NBA playoffs.

So Westbrook still has Rondo beat from mid-range, regular season or post-season.

ballup
07-30-2012, 10:18 PM
He's been saying this for the past two seasons. How is this news?

Celtic_Pride
07-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I'd actually love to see Rondo's %s this postseason as a jumpshooter cuz he looked much improved in his jumpshooting and looked more confident.

Most recent stats would be 2012 playoffs.

2012 playoffs stats of Rondo and Westbrook's mid-range game

10-15 ft

Westbrook - 41.7% FG
Rondo - 45.5% FG

16-23 ft

Westbrook - 50% FG
Rondo - 46% FG

Basically as a jumpshooter,

Westbrook - 39.9%
Rondo - 39.4%

Destroys? Get the fvck outta here!

And yeah Rondo shits on Westbrook in every other category as a point guard.

I'm glad you decided not to compare their 3 point shots though, lol.

2012 playoffs

Westbrook - 27.7
Rondo - 26.7

If this makes you sleep better

It's simple math if you know the algorithm for it!

Mach_3
07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Rondo shot 44% (35-79) from mid-range in the 2012 NBA playoffs.

It's from NBA.com advanced stats.

http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/

Just for comparison sake,

Westbrook shot 46% (74-160) from mid-range in the 2012 NBA playoffs.

So Westbrook still has Rondo beat from mid-range, regular season or post-season.

Just what i thought, he made a lot more shots on many more attempts then he normally would take. :applause:

KDTrey5
07-30-2012, 10:33 PM
cockky kid

BlackWhiteGreen
07-30-2012, 11:45 PM
I'm not saying that he doesn't. Trust me I saw the dude go crazy against Miami for most of the series.But they give him that space more because of his lack of shooting then respect for his blow by ability. Very few players are that kind of explosive where they are giving you that much space

Why bother giving him space if they aren't scared of his driving ability? Teams so often give him so much space he just picks whatever pass he wants, orchestrates the offence, and doesn't have to deal with like, ANY pressure. I think you'd still be better getting up on Rondo to pressure his passing, but honestly I think I'll take 29 coach's opinions over mine.

Real Men Wear Green
07-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Can't shoot, doesn't try, and still lead the league in triple doubles and assists. Must be an awesome player.