PDA

View Full Version : Rip Fubu

code green
07-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Had to pick up a new PS3 remote, so I ran over to Wal-Mart real quick. When I walked past the shoes section, I glanced over and saw a pair of FUBU joints sitting there. It didn't register until maybe about 3 or 4 more steps where I stopped and turned around to make sure I was seeing it right. Sure enough, FUBUs.

Regardless of whether or not it was made "for" me back in the day lol, I rocked a couple pairs of FUBU jeans and a couple of T's. Same with Sean John, Rocawear, Ecko, etc. Can't remember the last time I've seen anyone actually wear those brands, even though I know they still sell them at Macy's and places like that. Anyone still rock any of these brands? And would you buy a pair of FUBU shoes from Wal-Mart for $20?

L.Kizzle
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
I have a few FuBu shirts I still rock. And I did get some shoes a years or so black (all whites.)

I used to rock the Platinum Fubu Fat Albert joints all the time about 10 years back, good times.

NuggetsFan
07-30-2012, 09:54 PM
When I was younger I remember their hats were the "it" thing to wear for a little bit. Expensive as shit, like 50 bones. Could get them in a bunch of different colors.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.theboombox.com/media/2010/10/fubu-456-092910_452x304.jpg

Only FUBU thing I ever owned. Pretty sure mine was red, but exactly the same. Always loved the baby blue one.

L.Kizzle
07-30-2012, 10:21 PM
When I was younger I remember their hats were the "it" thing to wear for a little bit. Expensive as shit, like 50 bones. Could get them in a bunch of different colors.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.theboombox.com/media/2010/10/fubu-456-092910_452x304.jpg

Only FUBU thing I ever owned. Pretty sure mine was red, but exactly the same. Always loved the baby blue one.
Before that stupid new era fad where they keep the gold sticker and tag on the hat.:facepalm

NuggetsFan
07-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Before that stupid new era fad where they keep the gold sticker and tag on the hat.:facepalm

No doubt. I had that hat when I woulda been in like grade 6\7. Remember it being to big and had it stitched in the back so it'd fit. In HS those New Era hats took over, I wore a bunch of those f*ckers too tho :oldlol: never kept the stickers on 'em. Awesome variety, could cop anything from a Batman one to a Redsox one.

Neither hats were worth the price tag.

GOBB
07-30-2012, 10:39 PM
If you still own FUBU in 2012 then something is wrong with you. You'll get a past for rocking that bright crap back then but now? No bueno. :no:

L.Kizzle
07-30-2012, 10:46 PM
If you still own FUBU in 2012 then something is wrong with you. You'll get a past for rocking that bright crap back then but now? No bueno. :no:
Yo I have a nice button up black Fubu shirt I still rock.

I ain't wearin no Ali Fubu or nothin

L.Kizzle
07-31-2012, 07:46 AM
I think they still sell pretty good.
I have Rocawear and Ecko jeans I wear and a few shirts...
But I do think the target market changed - those are no gangster/underground brands...

Edit: looked it up: Rocawear has annual sales of $700 million
Yeah, people still wear those. Now if you sad Mecca, Dada, Willie Esko or Karl Kani, lol.

SilkkTheShocker
07-31-2012, 09:40 AM
Was watching Scary Movie last night and Shawn Wayans was rocking a powder blue Fubu jersey. :oldlol: Anyone still rock Avirex? They had some nice leather jackets back in the day.

Bucket_Nakedz
07-31-2012, 10:42 AM
oh my word... those were the brands i rocked through my teen years. i didn't rock a lot of fubu, but i did have 3 of them jersey and a couple of pants.
http://images.canadianlisted.com/nlarge/fubu-jersey_4720123.jpg
i had silver/black, red/white, and a white with red numbers and lettering.

remember this gap commercial by ll who still rocked a fubu cap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=i3L04ry7a4o)

to answer your question, op: yeah, most def. depends on the style and fit of course. i had pair of fubu shoes in my freshman year which was like a crosstrainer type, and that shoe was easily in the top 5 shoes i've ever worn (and ive worn a lot of shoes).

these clothes were fukkin expensive back then too. this is the reason why i worked at such a early age, so i can look fly and impress the b!tches lol. i tell u man, women truly rule this world

even tho i was from the west coast, a lot of my style was influenced from east coast rappers. i use to buy xxl mag religiously to look at what was hot and trending on the newest brands.

i remember i was the first dude rockin' 13' timbs, ecko and carhartt back in 98/99. cats was wearing tommy hil, gap, old navy, banana republic, nautica pepe, karl kani and of course dickies.

once people starting buying brands like ecko, phat farm, and sean john. i went and sported other brands such as avirex, mecca, enyce and my all-time fav nyc triple 5 soul.

Bucket_Nakedz
07-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Was watching Scary Movie last night and Shawn Wayans was rocking a powder blue Fubu jersey. :oldlol: Anyone still rock Avirex? They had some nice leather jackets back in the day.
word. them bomber jackets were nice, but the motorcycle ones were the ones that made me want to rob because them joints were expensive as shiet. you don't really need a jacket in cali, but those jackets were hard and i could only afford the hoodies :(.

SilkkTheShocker
07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
word. them bomber jackets were nice, but the motorcycle ones were the ones that made me want to rob because them joints were expensive as shiet. you don't really need a jacket in cali, but those jackets were hard and i could only afford the hoodies :(.

haha I hear ya man. I used to have a black one. I remember they got me hooked after seeing DMX, Method Man, and Nas wearing them in Belly :oldlol: I don't have the leather leather jacket but still got a few pairs of Avirex jeans. I rock more just regular Nike stuff now over the years, but always keeping my eyes out for Rocawear, Enyce, and Ecko.

RaininTwos
07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
I remember when I used to rock Mecca brand shit. :oldlol: the quality of their clothes were horrible and the retarded white suburbanites:facepalm that inhabited my school thought that me wearing them made me a muslim.:facepalm

I wouldn't trade those days for anything though. It's kinda sad that I have a pretty good life and I still miss middle school and my freshman year of high school. That was the one time in my life where I truly didn't give one fvck.

highwhey
07-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Yeah, people still wear those. Now if you sad Mecca, Dada, Willie Esko or Karl Kani, lol.
i believe "mecca" in spanish is ***/sperm. i know its a clothing brand but i'm hispanic and i went to school with a bunch of mexicans.

GOBB
07-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Mecca? South Pole? FUBU? Kani? Yal dress like your mothers copped you gear from the bootleg clothes stands. I'm so disappointed in you all.

Where is starface? He's killer when it comes to posters talkin fashion. :roll:

Yo I have a nice button up black Fubu shirt I still rock.

I ain't wearin no Ali Fubu or nothin

So its a plain black button up shirt? Thats ok. I didnt realize FUBU was capable of clothes that werent BRIGHT and didnt have their logo attatched to it in some way. If not logo some silly ass patch.

Bucket_Nakedz
07-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Mecca? South Pole? FUBU? Kani? Yal dress like your mothers copped you gear from the bootleg clothes stands. I'm so disappointed in you all.

Where is starface? He's killer when it comes to posters talkin fashion. :roll:

So its a plain black button up shirt? Thats ok. I didnt realize FUBU was capable of clothes that werent BRIGHT and didnt have their logo attatched to it in some way. If not logo some silly ass patch.
These were the brands for our generation. Stop hatin cuz our gear was flyer than your cross color starter wearin era.

I tried adding you on xbox live but it said your friendslist was full. Wtf gobb?

L.Kizzle
07-31-2012, 06:59 PM
These were the brands for our generation. Stop hatin cuz our gear was flyer than your cross color starter wearin era.

I tried adding you on xbox live but it said your friendslist was full. Wtf gobb?
Pretty sure my nigha gobb dressed like the cast of in livng color when the credits rolled.

MJ(Mean John)
07-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Never rocked fubu but did rock enyce, SJ, RWear, Ecko.

Damn how the times have changed.

Now I keep it plain and casual.
Started hitting the gym again, once I get real ripped I'm picking up a GQ magazine and THAT'S how I'm going to start dressing. Lol

GOBB
07-31-2012, 07:26 PM

Sorry I'll delete someone bro. I didnt realize it was full. xbox live is stupid. I pay $60 and you get a 100 list limit (on it right now). Pretty dumb I dont understand friend limitations. Whats the big deal. But I deleted someone so shoot me an add. :cheers:

I think I rocked cross colors for a year or two. Dope gear. Starters were in then, so much YOUR GENERATION TRIED TO BRING THEM BACK. We trendsetters bruh, what more can I say!? :pimp:

F*ck you Kizzle :roll:

GOBB
07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Never rocked fubu but did rock enyce, SJ, RWear, Ecko.

Damn how the times have changed.

Now I keep it plain and casual.
Started hitting the gym again, once I get real ripped I'm picking up a GQ magazine and THAT'S how I'm going to start dressing. Lol

You dont need to be ripped to dress like a GQ :pimp:

MJ(Mean John)
07-31-2012, 08:13 PM
You dont need to be ripped to dress like a GQ :pimp:

Of course I don't.
But I'm going to get ripped.
By buy clothes now and then buy more once I get ripped.
That's my thinking.

ace23
07-31-2012, 08:18 PM
If I see a ***** wearing FUBU kicks, I'm roasting that ass on the spot. :oldlol:

L.Kizzle
07-31-2012, 08:49 PM
If I see a ***** wearing FUBU kicks, I'm roasting that ass on the spot. :oldlol:
I wear FuBu kicks, and what nigha!

LBJMVP
07-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Fubu = "Farmers used to Beat Us."

me and my friends use to say that all the time.

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 11:27 PM
4 us BYE us

LBJMVP
07-31-2012, 11:31 PM
4 us BYE us

yah, but mostly black people wore it and well... you get the joke.

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 11:33 PM
i saw more white boys wear it than brothas

ace23
07-31-2012, 11:44 PM
I wear FuBu kicks, and what nigha!
Pics?

How do you leave the crib in some FUBUs? :roll:

RaininTwos
07-31-2012, 11:47 PM
Pics?

Yeah that's a f*cking shame.

L.Kizzle
08-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Pics?

How do I leave the crib, easy I open the door nigha!

White Fubu's look like Air Forces but cost like $60 less.

Laugh at the bus stop while I ride by in my car.

SilkkTheShocker
08-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Yeah that's a f*cking shame.

Love the new avatar man. One of my favorite albums evers.

L.Kizzle
08-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Love the new avatar man. One of my favorite albums evers.
Bad 25 comes out next month, with a bonus album filed with Bad outtakes and a DVD of a concert from the tour.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266422

RaininTwos
08-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Bad 25 comes out next month, with a bonus album filed with Bad outtakes and a DVD of a concert from the tour.

Hey that's around my b-day, buy it for me bro.

L.Kizzle
08-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Hey that's around my b-day, buy it for me bro.
A Jermaine Jackson hits collection is coming out, I can get you that one. Is that cool?

RaininTwos
08-01-2012, 01:16 AM
A Jermaine Jackson hits collection is coming out, I can get you that one. Is that cool?
I'm pretty sure they are giving those away

SilkkTheShocker
08-01-2012, 01:20 AM

Definitely copping. Good looking out homie :cheers:

L.Kizzle
08-01-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm pretty sure they are giving those away
Don't disrespect Jermaine like that. He did "Do What You Do When You Did What You Did To Me."

ace23
08-01-2012, 01:52 AM
How do I leave the crib, easy I open the door nigha!

White Fubu's look like Air Forces but cost like $60 less.

Laugh at the bus stop while I ride by in my car.

My boy Kizzle come through with the fresh FUBU button-down, crisp ankle socks, the denim shorts, and the $20 FUBUs he got at Ebay, dorag strings flying in the wind.

Them hoes melt like butter when you flash that $10 chain you got at the flea market, huh?

L.Kizzle
08-01-2012, 02:05 AM
My boy Kizzle come through with the fresh FUBU button-down, crisp ankle socks, the denim shorts, and the $20 FUBUs he got at Ebay, dorag strings flying in the wind.

Them hoes melt like butter when you flash that $10 chain you got at the flea market, huh?
:lol

Whatever nigha, just now that I stay fresher than Fiesta fish.

BuGzBuNNy
08-01-2012, 02:17 AM
Does it really stand for "For Us By Us"? smh if so

L.Kizzle
08-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Does it really stand for "For Us By Us"? smh if so
FuBu was the biggest urban clothing company in the late 90s to the early part of the 2000's. Respect.

CelticBaller
08-01-2012, 08:23 AM
this :lol

BuGzBuNNy
08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm black, but just picture a brand made by whites called that. I mean..wow.

AlphaWolf24
08-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Not true at all...

FUBU was garbage....they tried to take Cross Colors and Karl Kani and put dey own spin...

**** was horrible.

GOBB
08-01-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm black, but just picture a brand made by whites called that. I mean..wow.

Nothing wrong with it. The idea was to get people in the urban community to support black owned business by making a clothing line that appealed to them. What next are you going to ask if BET really stood for BLACK entertainment?

BuGzBuNNy
08-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Nothing wrong with it. The idea was to get people in the urban community to support black owned business by making a clothing line that appealed to them. What next are you going to ask if BET really stood for BLACK entertainment?
Disagreed, and I've always thought that was stupid too. Double standard like a mofo. Deal with it.

RaininTwos
08-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Disagreed, and I've always thought that was stupid too. Double standard like a mofo. Deal with it.
How is it a double standard?

At the time, there was a need for a black television outlet. People are so quick to forget how difficult it was for black people to get decent representation on TV. Shit, there was a time where Michael Jackson, the man who ushered in the music video era, had trouble getting his videos to air on white stations like MTV.

GOBB
08-01-2012, 02:36 PM

At the time, there was a need for a black television outlet. People are so quick to forget how difficult it was for black people to get decent representation on TV. Shit, there was a time where Michael Jackson, the man who ushered in the music video era, had trouble getting his videos to air on white stations like MTV.

Exactly.

AlphaWolf24
08-01-2012, 03:17 PM

It was sham to make money....

the group that came up with FUBU saw a way to cash in on designing a "urban" clothing line after the success of Hillfiger/KK/CC/Troop etc...

- "for us by us":rolleyes: ....just another catchy slogan to cash in on the times.

- more white kids wore FUBU then Black.

the whole segregating of clothes for a certain "group" is silly...

what a bunch of sheep if you followed thier ploy.

AlphaWolf24
08-01-2012, 03:19 PM

I agree with the first part of your post....

but Jackson??.....he practically made MTV..

Michael Jackson never had trouble getting on MTV because he was a minority.

L.Kizzle
08-01-2012, 03:32 PM
I agree with the first part of your post....

but Jackson??.....he practically made MTV..

Michael Jackson never had trouble getting on MTV because he was a minority.
MTV never played brother until 1983, and MTV debut in 1981. And only cause Epic Records plan to pull all there artist videos.

AlphaWolf24
08-01-2012, 04:12 PM
MTV never played brother until 1983, and MTV debut in 1981. And only cause Epic Records plan to pull all there artist videos.

His Videos were in rotation ....just not played alot....."Electric Avenue" was played darn near every other hour...

By the time Billy Jean and Thriller were out he was "MTV" only a few years later.

:lol U acting like it was a huge deal....Micahel Jackson could have owned MTV by 1984.

GOBB
08-01-2012, 05:58 PM
It was sham to make money....

the group that came up with FUBU saw a way to cash in on designing a "urban" clothing line after the success of Hillfiger/KK/CC/Troop etc...

- "for us by us":rolleyes: ....just another catchy slogan to cash in on the times.

- more white kids wore FUBU then Black.

the whole segregating of clothes for a certain "group" is silly...

what a bunch of sheep if you followed thier ploy.

A sham? :roll: What an idiot you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PnsbT5fDxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trn_pjFe4Tw&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3slQlHuuJNE&feature=relmfu

Educate yourself clown. To call what they did a shame makes you look ignorant to the umpteenth degree. I never wore there clothes, didnt like it. But I respect that they designed, made their own clothes started from a dream and turned into a profitable clothing company that was backed by big music artists. They made multi millions over the years. You have to respect that they turned their vision into money and opened doors for other things as well. Idiot.

DirtySanchez
08-01-2012, 06:55 PM
LMAO FUBU

It was a fad just like Cross Colors...do you kids remember that?

I can get deep in to street brands...the best ever is Stussy. Still relevant since the 80's. Everything else came and went. I mean we have Crooks and Castles and Diamond Supply in the mall now a days.

GOBB
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM
LMAO FUBU

It was a fad just like Cross Colors...do you kids remember that?

I can get deep in to street brands...the best ever is Stussy. Still relevant since the 80's. Everything else came and went. I mean we have Crooks and Castles and Diamond Supply in the mall now a days.

Cross Colors? Comparing the two is funny. How much has/does Cross Colors make. We know what FUBU makes. :rolleyes:

AlphaWolf24
08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
A sham? :roll: What an idiot you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PnsbT5fDxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trn_pjFe4Tw&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3slQlHuuJNE&feature=relmfu

Educate yourself clown. To call what they did a shame makes you look ignorant to the umpteenth degree. I never wore there clothes, didnt like it. But I respect that they designed, made their own clothes started from a dream and turned into a profitable clothing company that was backed by big music artists. They made multi millions over the years. You have to respect that they turned their vision into money and opened doors for other things as well. Idiot.

I respect they had a vision worked hard and made money...

but all the other stuff (let me come up with a hook to seperate us from Tommy Hillfiger..etc) is just another attempt to trick the sheep...in this case it was same o'l tired ploy.

....you didn't like thier clothes because somethin deep down told you they were corny as ****...(either that or you really aren't as dumb as you sound/type)

don't be a sheep......howl wit a ****! AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GOBB
08-01-2012, 08:41 PM
I respect they had a vision worked hard and made money...

but all the other stuff (let me come up with a hook to seperate us from Tommy Hillfiger..etc) is just another attempt to trick the sheep...in this case it was same o'l tired ploy.

....you didn't like thier clothes because somethin deep down told you they were corny as ****...(either that or you really aren't as dumb as you sound/type)

don't be a sheep......howl wit a ****! AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I didnt like their gear because it usually was deep and bright colors plus logos large enough to have you lookin like a walkin billboard. I dont like super bright yellow sweatshirt with thick stitch FUBU lettering plastered across my chest.

Has nothing to do with their slogan or whatever you think they attempted to do to fool people. I'm a Polo person.