PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love vs. Carmelo Anthony

StateOfMind12
07-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Who you got, who do you think is currently the better player of the two? This is a spin off from the Melo and chocolate milk thread since there were talks and comparisons between Love and Melo.

I also posted this in the Melo and chocolate milk thread when Melo was being compared to Love.

Honestly, Melo is not better than Love in ANY ASPECT of the game. You seriously cannot find me one thing Melo does better.

Scoring? Love, he scores more points and is more efficient at it
Rebounding? Love, Love is arguably the best rebounder in the game
Passing? Love, Love is a tremendous passer and was known for it coming out of College.
Defense? Love, Love isn't great at this but he isn't as bad as Melo.

You seriously cannot think of one thing Melo does better than Love except score in cooler fashion maybe.

RRR3
07-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Melo easily. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Heavincent
07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Kevin Love. Best PF in the league.

Trentknicks
07-31-2012, 09:46 PM
The overpaid bum who could take him team to the playoffs with others injured and player of the month in April.

SilkkTheShocker
07-31-2012, 09:47 PM
What's behind door #3?

LikeABosh
07-31-2012, 09:48 PM
The overpaid bum who could take him team to the playoffs with others injured and player of the month in April.
I heard Lebron gives his player of the month trophies to his dog as a chew toy.

stallionaire
07-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Melo is 1-dimensional. Prolific scorer whos size allows him to create mismatches against a lot of players in the league. That's it though. Don't like his hustle/motor.

Love is a better defensive player than Melo--

Love completely controls the glass. I don't understand kids these days who say he's a stat padding type player. With as many boards as he gets, how is that anyway padding stats? The dude is a BEAST and by virtue of his ability to get defensive rebounds puts him at a better defensive value than Melo. He has also had his share of games where he showed tenacity on the defensive end but I'll agree with anyone: those are too far and few between. Adding Kirilenko should help out with our frountcourt's D overall. I like what Pek brings. Love is finally getting help.

Love can score from deep and down low. He is strong, players have described him as a brick wall and every season he has added something new to his game. People are unwilling to understand how f.ucking terrible the Wolves teams Love has been apart of lately. Asking him to carry them is a f.ucking joke and that's how you pick out the r.etards on this forum.

Love needs to improve his defense. For how young he is, saying anything else is really nitpicking. Yeah his attitude is sh.it. I have friends who grew up near Lake Wosego and say he was a douche bag.. lol whatever. I want the guy to win for the Wolves now and he can do that. People forget that he tries 100% every night and you can't say the same about a lot of players who are on losing teams.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/02/17/love2x-large.jpg

Don't be mad his shot is difficult to perfect in 2k12 :pimp: .

WockaVodka
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Love plays a lot like Chris Webber?

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 10:46 PM
Melo

LABean
07-31-2012, 10:48 PM
Kevin Love easily.
You pretty much summed it up, OP.

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRV9BhKIgs&feature=youtu.be&t=34s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJevP6GN8A8&feature=youtu.be&t=7s

christian1923
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Melo. C'mon let's let love make the playoffs first

Tenchi Ryu
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Can't choose, but I do know Melo has been playing better during the Olympics so far. Rebounding better, defending better and scoring better than Love. Might have to do with the international style better suiting Melo, but he's been playing better.

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Melo has been playing better during the Olympics so far. REbounding better, defending better and scoring better than Love. Might have to do with the international style better suiting Melo, but he's been playing better.
melo always been better in the Olympics

LABean
07-31-2012, 11:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRV9BhKIgs&feature=youtu.be&t=34s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJevP6GN8A8&feature=youtu.be&t=7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoLS0t6wzcs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqmS4bwgoMk

:confusedshrug:

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoLS0t6wzcs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqmS4bwgoMk

:confusedshrug:
not the same

JaggerCommaMick
07-31-2012, 11:14 PM
What's behind door #3?

Thats the winning response, mate! :cheers:

NuggetsFan
07-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Love's not a better scorer than Carmelo. One year scoring at at a good rate on a non playoff team doesn't make you better than one of the best scorers in the league we've had for awhile. Melo's better at creating his shot, better posting up. Love is the better 3 point shooter and that's what made him more efficient last year.

Love being better than anybody defensively is a joke as well. Melo might not give full effort all the time but there's no way you can say Love's a better defensive player.

No doubt rebounding and passing go to Love tho. Another aspect of the game you failed to mention that Melo's better at is closing out games.

I don't know who's better. I have no idea how Kevin Love put up the numbers he did last year. Maybe I'm biased because I just don't get it. He's great at positioning himself. Great scoring off putbacks and a good shooter. I don't think he puts up the numbers he does on a playoff team. Don't think the scoring stays that high. I think you could go with either :confusedshrug:

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Love's not a better scorer than Carmelo. One year scoring at at a good rate on a non playoff team doesn't make you better than one of the best scorers in the league we've had for awhile. Melo's better at creating his shot, better posting up. Love is the better 3 point shooter and that's what made him more efficient last year.

Love being better than anybody defensively is a joke as well. Melo might not give full effort all the time but there's no way you can say Love's a better defensive player.

No doubt rebounding and passing go to Love tho. Another aspect of the game you failed to mention that Melo's better at is closing out games.

I don't know who's better. I have no idea how Kevin Love put up the numbers he did last year. Maybe I'm biased because I just don't get it. He's great at positioning himself. Great scoring off putbacks and a good shooter. I don't think he puts up the numbers he does on a playoff team. Don't think the scoring stays that high. I think you could go with either :confusedshrug:
who tha bitch in the avy? and why? she aint even nice

NuggetsFan
07-31-2012, 11:21 PM
who tha bitch in the avy? and why? she aint even nice

Aubrey Plaza. April from Parks and Rec. I dunno I think she's hot and funny which is rare for a female :lol

blacknapalm
07-31-2012, 11:23 PM
love. he has a higher FG% even though he shoots more 3's. rebounding isn't even really close. love turns the ball over less and is better at the line. melo beats him in post ups but he doesn't nearly go down there as much as he should...so that takes away from some of his overall effectiveness.

defense? it's close but i think love puts forth more effort in closing out and contesting shots. again, melo has the advantage in the post here as he's a better post defender but he's terrible staying with his man in P&R. he either doesn't fight through the screen or he doesn't recognize the switch quickly enough and gets lost.

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Aubrey Plaza. April from Parks and Rec. I dunno I think she's hot and funny which is rare for a female :lol
googling..

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 11:24 PM
she watever

Droid101
07-31-2012, 11:38 PM
she watever
You're an idiot. Watch the show. Become educated you ignorant beast.

KDTrey5
07-31-2012, 11:40 PM
You're an idiot. Watch the show. Become educated you ignorant beast.
i was talking about her looks ******

LoneyROY7
07-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Fun fact:

A Carmelo Anthony-led team has never missed the playoffs.

airchibundo507
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Melo is one of the most versatile offensive players in the league. Dynamic scorer, unguardable one on one. Array of moves in face-up iso. Comfortable as a ball handler and capable of running pick and roll as dribbler and/or screener. Solid outside jumper. Clutchest scorer in the league.

Love can't create his own shot. He scores off open three pointers and garbage buckets from rebounds. Lethal outside shooter. Liability on defense and cannot be the focal point of an offense.

Melo is in the Dirk mold, a scorer that a championship team can be crafted around. Love needs to be the second or third best player on a championship team. He puts up big numbers but his game doesn't affect the outcome of the game.

WockaVodka
08-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Love can't create his own shot, yet he averages about 26 ppg. What am I suppose to expect his scoring numbers to be when he can? Like 35? 40? Is he going to reach Wilt status?

JaggerCommaMick
08-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Fun fact:

That says more about the Nuggets themselves mate, theyve made both postseasons since he left them too.

blacknapalm
08-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Love can't create his own shot, yet he averages about 26 ppg. What am I suppose to expect his scoring numbers to be when he can? Like 35? 40? Is he going to reach Wilt status?

:applause: just another myth that surrounds love

[QUOTE]Those who still think Love can

fsvr54
08-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Melo is actually a good defender when he tries.

He is better than Love without a doubt.

highwhey
08-01-2012, 12:37 AM
WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF IS THIS SHT???? Carmelo of course. Stallionare stfu and get loves nuts out ur mouth, biiitch

Celtic_Pride
08-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Fun fact:

Another fun fact

Carmelo Anthony has the worst playoff winning percentage ever.

blacknapalm
08-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Another fun fact

Carmelo Anthony has the worst playoff winning percentage ever.

and how many all-stars has melo played with as compared to love?

ihoopallday
08-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Melo. I just think he has a higher ceiling than Love. Melos time will come.

FireDavidKahn
08-01-2012, 12:58 AM
and how many all-stars has melo played with as compared to love?
Anthony: Tyson Chandler, Amare Stoudemire, Marcus Camby (technically not an all star but was DPOY), Kenyon Martin, Allen Iverson, Chauncey Billups

Love: nobody.

So Carmelo has played with 6 all stars vs none for Love.

EnoughSaid
08-01-2012, 01:01 AM
:wtf: Wow Melo is sooo underrated. I'd take him over a lot of guys in this league.

FKAri
08-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Carmelo Anthony. I'm not very confident in that answer tho.

Xiao Yao You
08-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Love

EricGordon23
08-01-2012, 01:42 AM
I gotta go with love. Melo has had played with a lot of talent and nothing has happened.

highwhey
08-01-2012, 01:56 AM
I gotta go with love. Melo has had played with a lot of talent and nothing has happened.
Great reasoning. Are you from realgm boards? Klove has.gone to playoffa right? Oh wait, no he hasnt. Last years steve nash>>>>>>>klove. Same garbage talent except nash is a better leader. Klove is a mfing stat padder, his numbers are all in vein until hes auccesful in offseason.

God damn it ish wth is wrong with you?

WockaVodka
08-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Great reasoning. Are you from realgm boards? Klove has.gone to playoffa right? Oh wait, no he hasnt. Last years steve nash>>>>>>>klove. Same garbage talent except nash is a better leader. Klove is a mfing stat padder, his numbers are all in vein until hes auccesful in offseason.

God damn it ish wth is wrong with you?
I use to think this myself until last season so either he simply stopped being such a stat padder last season or he never was this stat padder all this time. The truth is that Love just plays on a very mediocre team. His team when they were at full strength were capable of getting a playoff spot and were acutally on the verge of doing so but they were held back by the injuries of Rubio, Pekovic, and more.

There is nothing wrong with taking Melo over Love but not for those very reasons.

Sharp
08-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Carmelo.

Love is a stat padder. For every point he makes, he gives up a billion. He doesn't make his teammates any better. 4 years in the league and he has made ZERO difference to the Wolves. What were they winning the year before they drafted Love? 20 games? ZERO difference. Garnett took this team to the playoffs yearly.

He is a second option at best on a good team. Love is a player you can't build around because of his terrible, horrific defense and lack of playmaking skills.

PullupJay
08-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Melo

upside24
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
As great as Love is it is hard to ignore the fact that he hasn't lead his team to the playoffs. His numbers are nice but it seems like he doesn't impact the game as much as you would think. Melo can score at will and take over a game so I'd rather have Melo.

Ikill
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Melo.
Loves not a stat padder but he just doesn't impact the game cause he puts no pressure on defenses

StateOfMind12
08-01-2012, 01:11 PM
So far most people that have picked Melo in this thread say it's him because Love is a stat padder or because Love never made the playoffs.

The former not being true and the latter not even being his own fault.

JaggerCommaMick
08-01-2012, 03:00 PM
So far most people that have picked Melo in this thread say it's him because Love is a stat padder or because Love never made the playoffs.

The former not being true and the latter not even being his own fault.

Well most of these bloody idiots on this site don't know anything about basketball at all, you oughtta know that mate. Regardless of who they picked in this debate.

The argument I'd make for Carmelo is he's a bigger player for his position, and size is valuable. With Carmelo at the three, you've ideally still got room for a couple of good frontcourt defenders at the 4 and 5. With Love at the four, you've already for sure got one bad defender in your frontcourt.

Now the argument for Love is that he's less likely to waste possessions or shoot his team out of the game. The results Carmelo gets from going one on one can be achieved with equal success by having 'lesser' players simply execute a team offense, and the Nuggets proved that. Ultimately to me Carmelo Anthony's offensive impact is zero sum because of how he plays. Love at least plays somewhat more within the flow of an offense.

For me the answer is Love, although I do believe the Bloke's ego and centric style of play could inhibit a team aspiring to win a title immediately.

knickswin
08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Melo.
Loves not a stat padder but he just doesn't impact the game cause he puts no pressure on defenses

yeah ... I guess that kind of explains it. love gets his but he can't create off the dribble and he doesn't always demand double teams when he posts up, so you don't have to pay him as much attention as other players.

I dunno. Melo has problems, particularly with efficiency (except when he plays big like he's supposed to). he is the bigger talent between the two though. love is slightly undersized and not too athletic. melo is your prototypical small forward: tall, wide, strong, quick, can go inside and outside.

Clutch
08-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Melo :D

greymatter
08-01-2012, 04:35 PM
love is slightly undersized and not too athletic.

How is 6'10", 260 "slightly undersized"? He's athletic enough to grab 14+ boards a game.

ClutchOver9000
08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
lmao...Love is NOT a better scorer than Melo.

takai
08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I'd rather have Love. The guy is a quality player all around, except maybe on defense.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/killaplaya247/love2x-large.jpg

Please come to LA!

MetsPackers
08-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Melo

To me Love doesn't seem to have the dominant type of game where you can keep feeding him the ball when the team really needs him. He seemslike more of a facilitator on offense. That being said, his stats are outragous and would suggest hes tops in the league, but Melo is more valuble to me.

I think id even take KG last year over Love

MetsPackers
08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
I'd rather have Love. The guy is a quality player all around, except maybe on defense.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu340/killaplaya247/love2x-large.jpg

Please come to LA!

I could very well see this happening

BoutPractice
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't build my team around either of those guys, so if I'm looking for a complimentary piece, I'd rather have Love than a ball dominant scorer.

blacknapalm
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Melo.

you don't have to draw multiple doubles to put pressure on the defense. when love screens the ball, he puts all kinds of pressure on the defense because he drags his big out to the perimeter. this allows easy penetration for the minny guards who have one less tree to deal with in the paint

Ikill
08-01-2012, 07:13 PM
you don't have to draw multiple doubles to put pressure on the defense. when love screens the ball, he puts all kinds of pressure on the defense because he drags his big out to the perimeter. this allows easy penetration for the minny guards who have one less tree to deal with in the paint
Well Melo is pretty much the same size as Love (wingspan, standing reach) and even though Love is a better 3 point shooter Melo is a better mid range shooter. What im saying is Melo can also play as that stretch big but he can do so much more. He's the most versatile scorer in the NBA can shoot from anywhere play a bit of point foward play some solid defense and at times he's just unstoppable on the boards. Melo opens up more chances for his teamates than Love does because he can do so much more.

MiamiThrice
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
I'll take the guy thats actually been in a playoff game.

inclinerator
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MeyLJ.gif

Snoop_Cat
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Are people actually bagging on Carmelo for being ball-dominant?

As far as his tenure in New York has been, Carmelo HAS to be ball-dominant. Not a single player on the Knicks the past few years is capable of handling the ball safely, creating his own shot, etc - this is highlighted by the fact that even Amare can't do jacksh*t except be set up for pick and rolls.

Carmelo isn't a playmaker, he's a scorer. Same as Kevin Durant. You honestly think Kevin Durant wouldn't have the ball as much in his hands if he didn't have a ball handler/ guy who can create such as Westbrook or Harden? I'm not saying Durant's worse, he's better than Carmelo I fully acknowledge that. But on a roster of completely offensively inept players like the Knicks, Durant would play a similar role in extremely ball dominant scorer - how about people realize that before bagging on Carmelo for being a ball hog.

Ikill
08-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't build my team around either of those guys, so if I'm looking for a complimentary piece, I'd rather have Love than a ball dominant scorer.
Did you ever watch Melo before New York he was a pure off the ball/post up player. Even last year when they had Billups he didnt dominate the ball he had to this year cause they had no ball handlers. All the point gaurds that have played with Melo before Lin had some of thier most efficient seasons with him Andre Miller AI Billups. Melo has way more tools so he would be a better complimentary piece than Love.

PickernRoller
08-01-2012, 07:26 PM
not the same

How come? Dropping uncontested 3's on both occasions ain't nothing for solid shooters. Hit or miss.

Anyway I'll take Love if I am in charge of a franchise. A PF that can knockdown 3's like water...boy please.

TheTruth#34
08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Melo is one of the most versatile offensive players in the league. Dynamic scorer, unguardable one on one. Array of moves in face-up iso. Comfortable as a ball handler and capable of running pick and roll as dribbler and/or screener. Solid outside jumper. Clutchest scorer in the league.

Love can't create his own shot. He scores off open three pointers and garbage buckets from rebounds. Lethal outside shooter. Liability on defense and cannot be the focal point of an offense.

Melo is in the Dirk mold, a scorer that a championship team can be crafted around. Love needs to be the second or third best player on a championship team. He puts up big numbers but his game doesn't affect the outcome of the game.

:coleman:

blacknapalm
08-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Well Melo is pretty much the same size as Love (wingspan, standing reach) and even though Love is a better 3 point shooter Melo is a better mid range shooter. What im saying is Melo can also play as that stretch big but he can do so much more. He's the most versatile scorer in the NBA can shoot from anywhere play a bit of point foward play some solid defense and at times he's just unstoppable on the boards. Melo opens up more chances for his teamates than Love does because he can do so much more.

yes, but love is drawing out opposing 4's. melo is drawing out 3's that defend a lot on the perimeter anyway. hell, some of the best defensive wings are 3's in the league. melo is unstoppable on the boards at times? what does that make love who is a far better rebounder? love basically gets double the rebounds melo gets. i'm not a big fan of PER, but if you want to go that route, love trumps him there as well. i'll concede that melo had a down year but still...

since the melo trade, NY is 49-49 overall, including 6-5 when he doesn’t play and 43-44 when he does

Scoooter
08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MeyLJ.gif
Whoah.

Ikill
08-01-2012, 08:29 PM
[QUOTE=blacknapalm]yes, but love is drawing out opposing 4's. melo is drawing out 3's that defend a lot on the perimeter anyway. hell, some of the best defensive wings are 3's in the league. melo is unstoppable on the boards at times? what does that make love who is a far better rebounder? love basically gets double the rebounds melo gets. i'm not a big fan of PER, but if you want to go that route, love trumps him there as well. i'll concede that melo had a down year but still...

since the melo trade, NY is 49-49 overall, including 6-5 when he doesn

Ikill
08-01-2012, 08:33 PM
http://www.538host.com/carmelo.png
Melo is a better defender
Melo is better at creating his own shot and creating for others
Melo is more clutch
Melo demands more defensive attention

Bigsmoke
08-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Melo :D

this

knickswin
08-01-2012, 08:52 PM
How is 6'10", 260 "slightly undersized"? He's athletic enough to grab 14+ boards a game.

I think that is a generous 6'10 ... he is also unathletic and not too long which makes him play smaller

StateOfMind12
08-01-2012, 08:52 PM
http://www.538host.com/carmelo.png
Really? TS%? So Melo makes them better FT shooters now? If you want to find a real way to show how much he improves his teammates use FG% or eFG% or something. You also fail to take the context of their stats. Most of those players played a lot more minutes and games without Melo than with so the sample size is not even good. Some of those guys were also in their prime in Denver too so obviously they are going to play better with Melo because that was when they were at their best in the first place

Melo is a better defender
No he is not.

Melo is better at creating his own shot and creating for others
Melo is better at creating his own shot, yet Love averages more ppg and better efficiency. How does this work again?

Melo is more clutch
Not true either

According to NBA.com/advanced stats

Their clutch stats are....

Love - 26.8 ppg, 42% FG, 60.1% TS, 49.1% eFG
Melo - 34.5 ppg, 38% FG, 45.8% TS, 42.2% eFG

Melo demands more defensive attention
Prove it.

WockaVodka
08-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Are people actually bagging on Carmelo for being ball-dominant?

He he always played like that even in his Denver days though when his team was stacked.

stallionaire
08-01-2012, 11:44 PM
I want the thread to name how many allstars Love has played with.

Finished?

The answer is 0.

Look at the supporting cast of the Wolves since he was drafted and be ready to facepalm at the nobodies and scrubs.

MiamiThrice
08-01-2012, 11:47 PM

Finished?

The answer is 0.

Look at the supporting cast of the Wolves since he was drafted and be ready to facepalm at the nobodies and scrubs.

I want the thread to name how many playoff games Love has played in.

Finished?

The answer is 0.

If your a franchise player and your healthy, your supporting cast should be irrelevant when it comes to making the playoffs. No excuses. Kevin Love is a complimentary star. Not THE star. Melo is a guy capable of being THE star. He creates his own shot. Someone show me a Kevin Love highlight reel. 95% of his baskets are open shots set up by his offense or put backs he gets from rebounds. He CANNOT beat guys 1 on 1 consistently and that is why he will never be the best player on a championship team.

Lebron23
08-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I think that is a generous 6'10 ... he is also unathletic and not too long which makes him play smaller

Love is 6'7 3/4" (6'9 3/4" in shoes)

RoundMoundOfReb
08-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Good OP. I completely agree and I actually like Melo.

Noob Saibot
08-02-2012, 12:02 AM
interesting comparison. Melo is the best clutch player in the NBA, despite his poor field goal shooting. This season, Love has been the more efficient player and probably will continue to be for some time.

WockaVodka
08-02-2012, 01:23 AM

Finished?

The answer is 0.

Not only has Love played with zero all-stars but he has never even played with a former all-star.

bagelred
08-06-2012, 03:12 AM
:coleman:

Scoooter
08-06-2012, 03:15 AM
I wonder about Kevin Love's career trajectory. So far it looks really promising, as he has improved every single season. That roster needs some help, but they were in playoff contention this year before Rubio went down.

It almost reminds me of Kevin Durant in a sense, when the Sonics and Thunder were crap for a couple of years before getting it together.