PDA

View Full Version : Lebron's vertical measured

Linspired
08-01-2012, 01:40 AM
by his shoes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KBB46Qj7gg0

keep in mind this is a dunk, not his max vert. so prime bron's max vert really could be 44 inch. and this is pretty accurate. paul george got 36.2 inch. nick young had 37 4.inch.

one of the dude at Y who is 5ft 11 and can dunk with 2 hands with ease got 37 inch. and he gets 36-37 inch every time. so it's very consistent.

Linspired
08-01-2012, 01:44 AM
How Nike+ Basketball Measures Vertical
http://support-en-us.nikeplus.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31670/p/3169,3195/related/1

BuGzBuNNy
08-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Maybe it works different on the professional level but when I tested for verticals in high school it was just a standing still leap, no running start, no steps. Stand still, bend legs, jump.

Linspired
08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Maybe it works different on the professional level but when I tested for verticals in high school it was just a standing still leap, no running start, no steps. Stand still, bend legs, jump.

NFL does that. they only do standing vert. that favors NFL alot because they have massive man thighs. usually ballers need a running start for better results

plowking
08-01-2012, 01:52 AM

They do both in the NBA pre-draft. Usually when talking about a players vertical in the NBA, people actually mean their running jump; essentially their highest jump.

Linspired
08-01-2012, 01:53 AM
and jlauber,

this is why i don't think Wilt had 40 inch vert. :D

him jumping 40 inch would make today's athlete look like fat bums

jlauber
08-01-2012, 02:41 AM
and jlauber,

The problem is...we simply don't KNOW how high a vertical Chamberlain had. We only have a few hours, of the 1000+ hours that Chamberlain played in high school, college, and the NBA, in which to judge him by. And even some of that limited footage is pretty impressive.

We do know that he was nearly 7-2, had a 7-8 wingpsan, was clocked with a 4.6 40 at age 27 and at 290 lbs, was considered one of the strongest athletes of his generation, won a college high jump championship (and doing so part-time, and with poor technique) as well as participated in the long jump, triple jump, and 4 x100 relay.

No matter what, he was a "freak" of nature who dominated his sport more than just about anyone else ever dominated their's.

ILLsmak
08-01-2012, 02:52 AM
and jlauber,

It's just different when you are tall...

I think if you had a certain body type it's possible, though. I could almost jump 40 when I was a teenager, but I never dunked. The closest I could come was getting my wrist on the rim. But I'm short and I don't have long arms.

A guy like wilt getting 36 means he's all over the rim. Think about Shaq, dude's vert was like 10 inches in his last few years and he was still T bagging people.

Edit: also REAL vert like no step or one step being that high is ridiculous. I could only jump that high in a very ideal circumstance like a running start and perfect foot plant. 36 inch vert straight off the ground is outstanding.

Edit 2: Not sure if LeBron is jumping 40 in that video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHhwpsCHc3k&feature=related I don't think anyone who wants to show off their vert should bend their legs while jumping.

-Smak

christian1923
08-01-2012, 02:57 AM
It's just different when you are tall...

I think if you had a certain body type it's possible, though. I could almost jump 40 when I was a teenager, but I never dunked. The closest I could come was getting my wrist on the rim. But I'm short and I don't have long arms.

A guy like wilt getting 36 means he's all over the rim. Think about Shaq, dude's vert was like 10 inches in his last few years and he was still T bagging people.

Edit: also REAL vert like no step or one step being that high is ridiculous. I could only jump that high in a very ideal circumstance like a running start and perfect foot plant. 36 inch vert straight off the ground is outstanding.

-Smak

That's the biggest lie ive ever heard. You could jump 40 inches but you couldn't dunk? Are you a midget?

ILLsmak
08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
That's the biggest lie ive ever heard. You could jump 40 inches but you couldn't dunk? Are you a midget?

lol it's harder to dunk than you would think man. I'm 5'6.

I'm more of a soccer build.

-Smak

christian1923
08-01-2012, 03:16 AM
lol it's harder to dunk than you would think man. I'm 5'6.

I'm more of a soccer build.

-Smak

I've seen 5'6-5'8 kids dunk though. And the one that had a 40+ inch vert was getting his dome up to the rim.

I can't imagine someone with a 40 inch vertical not being able to dunk easily. You're 3+ feet off the ground. Plus your height plus your arms. :eek:

ILLsmak
08-01-2012, 03:25 AM
I've seen 5'6-5'8 kids dunk though. And the one that had a 40+ inch vert was getting his dome up to the rim.

I can't imagine someone with a 40 inch vertical not being able to dunk easily. You're 3+ feet off the ground. Plus your height plus your arms. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRZyfiyXYo

look at this guy, he's 5'7 and his vert is likely 44+ he's not getting his head on the rim or even close. They say his vert is 48 but people throw that number out too much.

You are exactly right I'd be getting my head 8 feet and 10 inches off the ground on a perfect jump. Still have 14 inches to touch the rim, which I could, even grab it and get my wrist on it, but you need even more than that to dunk.

You also need to be fearless and account for holding the ball. Like I said, there's a lot more that goes into it than just having your hand where it should be but I don't think even if everything went perfectly I could have gotten a real dunk.

-Smak

Swaggin916
08-01-2012, 06:22 AM
I can vouch for 40 inches at 5'6 not being enough to dunk. I'm 5'11 and my reach is 7'7 so sure I only need 29 inches to touch the rim, but I need like 36" to put in the weakest of dunks and 40" to put in anything halfway decent... and that's at 5'11 not 5'6.

Sakkreth
08-01-2012, 06:34 AM
I have no idea what's my vert, I am 6'2 maybe close to 6'3, Can dunk no problem, with two hands aswell including reverse if i try really hard, my wingspan is enormous tho, like 6'9 or even more, so what's my vert about ?

chips93
08-01-2012, 06:51 AM
http://support-en-us.nikeplus.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31670/p/3169,3195/related/1

what if you land with your feet tucked in, like crouched up in a ball?

wouldnt you spend more time in the air, while still having the same vertical?

wouldnt this skew the results?

m y t i n
08-01-2012, 06:57 AM

No. You'd still land in the same time regardless... Unless you want to snap your shit up for a little extra hang time.

chips93
08-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Unless you want to snap your shit up for a little extra hang time.

so what if you did?

that would skew the results right?

m y t i n
08-01-2012, 07:13 AM
so what if you did?

that would skew the results right?

Try it out yourself :D

RazorBaLade
08-01-2012, 07:28 AM

need 10 in hand to dunk ball

bergs14
08-01-2012, 07:37 AM
I'd be interested to know how many people here can actually dunk.

NumberSix
08-01-2012, 08:29 AM
My standing reach is about 8'2 or 8'3. I can still easily dunk, but I sure as fck don't have a 40 inch vertical. lol

The idea of someone having a 40 inch vertical and STILL not being able to dunk seems preposterous to me, even if you are only 5'6.

If Spud Webb can do all types of crazy alley-oop 360 dunks at 5'7 with a 42 inch vertical, a 5'6 guy with a 40 inch should at least be able to do a regular non-flashy simple dunk.

VeeCee15
08-01-2012, 08:46 AM
lebron does not have a 40 inch vert i'm sorry.

If he had a 40 inch vert his chin would be at the rim everytime he dunks.

The guy's vertical is the MOST OVERRATED BS in sports.

He only looks like he's jumping high because of odd camera angles/camera angles with him close the camera and the net behind him.

Lots of guys in the NBA jump way higher than lebron.

However, lebron is fast. Lateral speed is average though.

NumberSix
08-01-2012, 08:50 AM

He only looks like he's jumping high because of odd camera angles/camera angles with him close the camera and the net behind him.

Well, the dude's 6'8. Add 40 inches and that means his head is at exactly 10 feet.

Does anyone really doubt that he's ever been able to get the top of his head at rim level?

pauk
08-01-2012, 09:20 AM
What everybody has to know about Lebron is that he is a one legged leaper a la Julius Erving, aka. people who jump higher of one leg (in Lebrons case left leg) preferably from a nice running takeof... there are people who are the opposite aswell, like Dominique Wilkins or Dwight Howard, who got their max vert of two legs and got much lower vert of one legged takeofs

Lebron with a full effort running takeof from that left leg is hanging around 40"-44" in vertical.... which at 6'8-6'9 means the top of his head should be at the rim or an inch or two over the rim at best....

His running takeof vert from two legs is noticably less

pauk
08-01-2012, 09:38 AM

You need to check your math....

Its easy to measure what lets say a 40" inch vertical would do to a guy 6'8" tall...

You just add the 40" inches on top of that height or on top of his standing hand reach (Lebrons is 8'10.25")....

40" inches (102 cm) + 6'8" (203 cm) = 10 feet (305 cm) ... which means the top of his head is exactly at the rim...

40" inches (102 cm) + 8'10.25" (270 cm) = 12'3" (372 cm) .... which means his finger tips reaches that specific point above the rim, he could probably dunk on a 12 foot hoop...

For his chin to be above the rim that would mean a vertical of around 48"-50"....

Lebrons max vert was measured at 44" inches, which means that his head can at best be 4" inches exactly above the rim.... something like this:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/pauk666/lbjhighjump-1.png

(although i think he probably squeezed out 45"-47" here, also i have never seen a pic of Lebron getting any higher than this, its his career "vertical" high :P)

plowking
08-01-2012, 09:39 AM

Whoever taught you maths needs to be slapped. Hard. In the mouth.

A 40 inch vertical for a 6'8 person means the top of his head is inline with the ring. We've seen Lebron on 1 or 2 occasions get slightly higher. It's anywhere from 41-44 inches based on that.

Rake2204
08-01-2012, 09:48 AM

The results are most definitely skewable anytime measurements are being based upon how long a person is in the air. My little brother said they measured his vertical in high school football by using a sensor pad people would jump on. He said a number of his teammates could bend their legs and land later, thus providing skewed results (longer time in air).

From the link Linspired cited in his second post:

As the measurement of vertical is primarily based on the time off the ground, there are some common scnearios that may occur as you play that can skew the reported measurement, such as hanging or pulling on the rim, or leaning into or landing on a another player.

To get the most true measurement of your vertical, it's recommended that you jump and land on the same surface, land with your leg(s) slightly bent, and do not touch anything in the air.

I'd be interested to know how many people here can actually dunk.
(Slowly raising hand).

I have a 95'' standing reach and the highest I've touched is 10'11'' which would, at my peak of peaks, supposedly mean I jumped 36 inches off the run. More comfortably and consistently, I'd say my running vertical would be in the 34'' range and I don't think I need all of that to dunk (though I need a fair amount of it because I cannot palm a ball). My regular (non-running) vert was measured at a pedestrian 29.5''. One clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wXwG1ciSpI#t=0m6s

christian1923
08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMRZyfiyXYo

look at this guy, he's 5'7 and his vert is likely 44+ he's not getting his head on the rim or even close. They say his vert is 48 but people throw that number out too much.

You are exactly right I'd be getting my head 8 feet and 10 inches off the ground on a perfect jump. Still have 14 inches to touch the rim, which I could, even grab it and get my wrist on it, but you need even more than that to dunk.

You also need to be fearless and account for holding the ball. Like I said, there's a lot more that goes into it than just having your hand where it should be but I don't think even if everything went perfectly I could have gotten a real dunk.

-Smak

Idk its just hard for me to believe.

I remember my boy came into high school at about 5'7 and he was doing this stuff and he told us his vert was like 42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIiaCCGcyQk

So to hear someone say they cant dunk with a 40 inch vert sounds impossible lol

b1imtf
08-01-2012, 11:00 AM
The problem is...we simply don't KNOW how high a vertical Chamberlain had. We only have a few hours, of the 1000+ hours that Chamberlain played in high school, college, and the NBA, in which to judge him by. And even some of that limited footage is pretty impressive.

We do know that he was nearly 7-2, had a 7-8 wingpsan, was clocked with a 4.6 40 at age 27 and at 290 lbs, was considered one of the strongest athletes of his generation, won a college high jump championship (and doing so part-time, and with poor technique) as well as participated in the long jump, triple jump, and 4 x100 relay.

No matter what, he was a "freak" of nature who dominated his sport more than just about anyone else ever dominated their's.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

28renyoy
08-01-2012, 11:03 AM
LeBron does not have a 44 inch vertical, period. Nate Robinson has a 44 inch vertical and think about how high up he gets for a 5'10 guy. LeBron would have to roughly be 1.5 feet higher than him which would be his entire head above the rim.

Rake2204
08-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Idk its just hard for me to believe.

I remember my boy came into high school at about 5'7 and he was doing this stuff and he told us his vert was like 42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIiaCCGcyQk

So to hear someone say they cant dunk with a 40 inch vert sounds impossible lol
I don't think it's impossible. I believe one's dimensions play a very big role. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am 6'3'' with a 95'' standing reach. I'm not entirely sure how much a person will lose on their standing reach for every inch shorter they are, but I'm guessing someone 9 inches shorter than me (in illsmak's case) will likely have a significantly lower standing reach.

So, for the sake of hypotheticals, let's say illsmak had a standing reach of 89'' (6 inches less than mine). A 40'' inch vert in that case would put his max reach at 129'' aka 9 inches above the rim. That'd be two to three inches up my wrist and easily enough room to dunk. However, an 89'' standing reach is merely a guess on my part. If he could only reach 85'', suddenly we might be looking at someone who was a borderline dunker (reaching just five inches above the rim).

I think heights can often be misleading. There's normal folk, I like to think that includes me, who have arms that are proportional to their height. Then there's freaks of nature (Rajon Rondo) who stand at a certain height but contain the wingspan of someone much taller, thus having an easier go of it when they try to dunk. I'm not terribly familiar with Jahii Carson, but I think that could be one possibility as to why he may be such a spectacular dunking with "just" a 40'' vert.

inclinerator
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
LeBron does not have a 44 inch vertical, period. Nate Robinson has a 44 inch vertical and think about how high up he gets for a 5'10 guy. LeBron would have to roughly be 1.5 feet higher than him which would be his entire head above the rim.
right i guess those picture of his head above the rim are fake right? or camera angles" like ppl have said 6'9 in shoes and head level with rim gives him a 39 inch vertical, and he's gotten much higher than that before

OldSchoolBBall
08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
How is the video posted in the OP some sort of scientific measurement? :oldlol: It's a commercial.

Lebron probably had (in Cleveland) a 39-42" vertical, nothing more. His head stands at 80", so with 40" he'd be at rim level. I've seen nothing to suggest that he's ever been able to get his head 3-4" ABOVE the rim.

pauk
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM

44" inches + 6'8" = 10'4"

4" inches above the rim, thats about correct...

Now he probably is around 40" tho

LBJ 23
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
How is the video posted in the OP some sort of scientific measurement? :oldlol: It's a commercial.

Lebron probably had (in Cleveland) a 39-42" vertical, nothing more. His head stands at 80", so with 40" he'd be at rim level. I've seen nothing to suggest that he's ever been able to get his head 3-4" ABOVE the rim.

Not sure if it's 3 or 4'' though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOOoZZB9BY

pauk
08-01-2012, 11:58 AM

Now you have... thank me later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWi8Ds2RoE4

OldSchoolBBall
08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Now you have... thank me later
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWi8Ds2RoE4

He's a few feet in front of the rim when his hand makes contact with the ball, so the angle is deceiving. That would be a valid pic if he were on the same line as the basket relative to the baseline, but he's not.

CavaliersFTW
08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
He's a few feet in front of the rim when his hand makes contact with the ball, so the angle is deceiving. That would be a valid pic if he were on the same line as the basket relative to the baseline, but he's not.
This. I even watched that play live, his head did not go "above" rim like that pic makes it look.

pauk
08-01-2012, 12:11 PM

That is the most stupid thing i ever heard in my life.... If you cant see CLEARLY that his head is above the rim then you should book a meeting with somebody to check your eye sight and perception of proportion/dimension...

Nevermind the pic, watch the video of that play, might help

plowking
08-01-2012, 12:19 PM

He's just about on the baseline with a straight pan shot across. There is no deception in angle on the shot.

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/53/1acacde118fc4f60ad42f54b40e70e99/l.jpg

This shot is slightly skewed but it shows where he can get his head at with the ball. His vertical is in the same range as Vince and Michael's. 43 inches.

plowking
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
That second video you posted pauk is no where near correct. His head wasn't close to the rim.

LikeABosh
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I've seen that play from 3-4 angles. His head is definitely way above the rim.

Linspired
08-01-2012, 02:45 PM

i actually do believe him if he is 5ft 6. i've seen many short dudes with mad hops can't dunk. they would only connect once or twice in every 10 attempts. i think having small hands and short arm is the key.

Linspired
08-01-2012, 02:49 PM

bron is 6ft 7 1/4.

6ft 7 1/4 + 40 inch (3ft 4inch) = 9ft 11 1/4

definitely possible. he really got up there on that dunk.

28renyoy
08-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Jesus you people are dumb. Vince Carter's vertical was 43.5 inches. Can Lebron dunk like Vince Carter, who was shorter btw. 40"+6'8=head at the rim. The average human head length is 8 inches. That means Lebron would be nose level with the rim whenever he dunked if he had a 44" vertical. That is simply not the case. And that would also mean his entire arm would be above the rim which is not the case.

1 camera angle proves nothing.

And the difference between 44 and 40 is monumental. That's the difference between a very good leaper and the elite of the elite

Linspired
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
What everybody has to know about Lebron is that he is a one legged leaper a la Julius Erving, aka. people who jump higher of one leg (in Lebrons case left leg) preferably from a nice running takeof... there are people who are the opposite aswell, like Dominique Wilkins or Dwight Howard, who got their max vert of two legs and got much lower vert of one legged takeofs

Lebron with a full effort running takeof from that left leg is hanging around 40"-44" in vertical.... which at 6'8-6'9 means the top of his head should be at the rim or an inch or two over the rim at best....

His running takeof vert from two legs is noticably less

in correct. dwight howard has better max vert than standing vert.

but many NFL players supposedly have a better or equal standing vert than max vert because all they ever do is work on their man thighs

Jax
08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
What's the max Vert of Nate Robinson?

28renyoy
08-01-2012, 03:51 PM
What's the max Vert of Nate Robinson?

44" exactly IIRC

LBJ 23
08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
in correct. dwight howard has better max vert than standing vert.

I think you misunderstood him. I think Pauk was thinking two legged jump from a running start and not from a stand still position. When a player makes a few explosive steps before he takes off of two feet. Players like Wilkins, Jordan, Howard, Carter were elite in that category, Lebron is certainly a level below when it comes to jumping from 2 feet.

inclinerator
08-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Jesus you people are dumb. Vince Carter's vertical was 43.5 inches. Can Lebron dunk like Vince Carter, who was shorter btw. 40"+6'8=head at the rim. The average human head length is 8 inches. That means Lebron would be nose level with the rim whenever he dunked if he had a 44" vertical. That is simply not the case. And that would also mean his entire arm would be above the rim which is not the case.

1 camera angle proves nothing.

And the difference between 44 and 40 is monumental. That's the difference between a very good leaper and the elite of the elite
vince carter is the better dunker, but lebron gets up much higher, ive never seen carter's head clear the rim on any of his dunks, and just because u have a 44 inch vertical does not mean u can dunk with a 44 inch vertical :wtf, holding the ball etc plays in the factor of dunking

Rake2204
08-01-2012, 05:42 PM
vince carter is the better dunker, but lebron gets up much higher, ive never seen carter's head clear the rim on any of his dunks, and just because u have a 44 inch vertical does not mean u can dunk with a 44 inch vertical :wtf, holding the ball etc plays in the factor of dunking
I may agree with you on this one. However, any time a player's dunking and hanging from his elbow, there's a good chance his head might be right around rim level. Though again, I'm not sure I've seen someone get higher than LBJ. Still, here's some VC samples:

Example 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYtaGqM5HTM

Example 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSzKmkEdaVQ#t=0m6s

abuC
08-01-2012, 07:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y1fVT.jpg

pauk
08-01-2012, 07:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y1fVT.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/pauk666/images.jpg
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3129/185e0dd0f1471a5c9e271c3.jpg
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/530/lebronaboverim.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2EXfqqcAyDA/TRTsji6x3SI/AAAAAAAAOf8/AWHmE66f9WA/JHP10_NBA_36285.JPG

All from that "bionic left leg" (as Vince Carter calls Lebron) running takeof, he has a legit 40"-44" vertical... stand vert is probably less tho, ofcourse...

Linspired
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
I think you misunderstood him. I think Pauk was thinking two legged jump from a running start and not from a stand still position. When a player makes a few explosive steps before he takes off of two feet. Players like Wilkins, Jordan, Howard, Carter were elite in that category, Lebron is certainly a level below when it comes to jumping from 2 feet.

gotcha. dwight is indeed 2 feet leaper.

pauk
08-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Exactly, thank you... all people are kindof like that, some jump higher of two and some of one (but need to run first ofcourse), me for example i am more like Julius/Lebron/James White that way aswell... i mean i can dunk running in from like the 3pt line and of one leg (left leg) with one hand... but with two feet, i cant even touch the rim sometimes no matter what i try... lol...

Linspired
08-01-2012, 07:52 PM

IMO, physical prime wilt probably had upto 36 inch of vertical. and that's elite for 7fters. javal mcgee who seem to great hops only had 32.5 inch vert in predraft.

Rake2204
08-01-2012, 07:53 PM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3129/185e0dd0f1471a5c9e271c3.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2EXfqqcAyDA/TRTsji6x3SI/AAAAAAAAOf8/AWHmE66f9WA/JHP10_NBA_36285.JPG

All from that "bionic left leg" (as Vince Carter calls Lebron) running takeof, he has a legit 40"-44" vertical... stand vert is probably less tho, ofcourse...
LeBron James is one of the highest leaping basketball players I've ever seen, particularly for someone standing 6'8''. However, many of those pictures offer a terrible perspective, suggesting his head is closer to the rim than it really is. I've never really understood why you've always used such horrible pictures. The capture against the Blazers is close to being legit, as it's shot from a height nearly level with the rim (though LeBron is slightly in front of the rim aka closer to the camera. . . but just slightly - it was still a godly leap).

Basically, the people who know LeBron can leap, already know he can leap. And the folks who don't believe it aren't going to be convinced by a mix of some pictures that are close to offering a legitimate perspective and other pictures that severely distort how close LeBron's head appears to be to the rim.

Similarly, we all know Shawn Kemp could fly, but I wouldn't use this picture as proof of how high he could get on the rim:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j4y5op.jpg

pauk
08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
IMO, physical prime wilt probably had upto 36 inch of vertical. and that's elite for 7fters. javal mcgee who seem to great hops only had 32.5 inch vert in predraft.

Exactly, at that 7'+ height a 32-36 inch vertical is ridicilous... in terms of how high up they get it equals to a 40 inch vertical on a 6'8" guy... or a 48-50" vertical on a 6'0" guy...

or.. it equals a 1" vertical on a 9'9" guy :D

pauk
08-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Similarly, we all know Shawn Kemp could fly, but I wouldn't use this picture as proof of how high he could get on the rim:

Why not? Shawn Kemp had a measured 40" max vertical leap... and was 6'10".... thats brutal my man.. at 6'10" you need only a 38" vertical to get your head at rim level as Kemp does in that pic... so, knowing he had a 40" vertical thats at least what you would expect.... bad camera or not, he COULD get up that high, the measured vertical, the height, thats the most important proof you need to know to how high somebody could get (its very easy to measure how high a guy can get if u know his vertical).. same goes with Lebron and anybody else

Linspired
08-01-2012, 08:03 PM
kemp was measured at 6ft 8 3/4 barefoot. :D

anyway, how do they measure standing reach? with shoe on or without? that changes alot.

also people can 'half ass' standing reach by not trying their absolute best to reach highest point to make their vert better.

anyway, i believe bron's 42-44 inch vert. bron is a sick athlete.

Rake2204
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Why not? Shawn Kemp had a measured 40" max vertical leap... and was 6'10".... thats brutal my man.. at 6'10" you need only a 38" vertical to get your head at rim level as Kemp does in that pic... so, knowing he had a 40" vertical thats at least what you would expect.... bad camera or not, he COULD get up that high, the measured vertical, the height, thats the most important proof you need to know to how high somebody could get (its very easy to measure how high a guy can get if u know his vertical).. same goes with Lebron and anybody else
I would not use the Kemp picture as proof of how he could get his head to rim level because that picture does not prove he could get his head to rim level. That's my point. We can prove how high Kemp could get in comparison to the rim by using valid measurements or by legitimate photos taken even to the rim with Shawn Kemp jumping directly next to (hard to come by), but a photo where it appears Shawn Kemp is leaping for a ball 15 feet in front of the hoop (look how large the ball appears in comparison to the rim, a rim that's supposed to be able to fit two basketballs at the same time) does not prove anything at all. It's moot and if nothing else, it hurts the point one is trying to make in the first place, as the attempted use of lame evidence negatively affects one's integrity and reliance.

To put it another way, it'd be like posting this picture where he's chest level with the rim as proof as to how high LeBron James can jump:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_images/7256120/20120603_ajl_sv3_239.jpg

Why not post that picture as proof? Because it's horrible proof. There's so many more effective routes to go than by posting shady angled pictures, yes?

pauk
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
kemp was measured at 6ft 8 3/4 barefoot. :D

anyway, how do they measure standing reach? with shoe on or without? that changes alot.

also people can 'half ass' standing reach by not trying their absolute best to reach highest point to make their vert better.

Not sure how they measured it back then but today its measured with this reaching equipment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjIpxC3Kzoo

With shoes most likely on.... they first (or later) measure your standing reach and then you just jump and reach as far up as you can on that thing, if you touched like lets say 10 feet and your standing reach is 7 feet that means your vertical is 3 feet or in inches 36" (91 cm)..... You could also measure your vertical like that by only measuring your height, but you would have to jump up and smack that thing with your head :D

anyway, i believe bron's 42-44 inch vert. bron is a sick athlete.

He does, but its a running takeof vertical (left leg), his two foot jumping running or standing however you like it is not so super impressive tho....

pauk
08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Rake2204

I agree with you, i am just saying even if you dont like a picture of lets say Lebron/Kemp having their head at the rim it STILL exactly shows how high they COULD get up at least on those pictures i showed, scientifically, mathematically, you mention it... because the valid proof is out there (vertical jump + height)... you put 40" together with 6'8" it equals 10' feet exactly (which means top of Lebrons head can reach the rim)... so even if you dont like a picture, it still doesnt tell all lies hypothetically... understand what i mean?

Rake2204
08-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Rake2204

I agree with you, i am just saying even if you dont like a picture of lets say Lebron/Kemp having their head at the rim it STILL exactly shows how high they could get up at least on those pictures i showed, scientifically, mathematically, you mention it... because the valid proof is out there (vertical jump + height)... you put 40" together with 6'8" it equals 10' feet exactly (which means top of Lebrons head can reach the rim)... so even if you dont like a picture, it still doesnt tell all lies hypothetically... understand what i mean?
I understand where you're coming from but typically, you'll want your evidence to support your facts or hypothesis, not contradict it. Because when I see someone claiming a player can reach his head to the rim and this photo's being used as proof:

... my first thought is, "Alright, well that's a photo taken from the ground looking upward at a player approaching the basket. I know, from common knowledge about depth and perspective that while he may appear to be close to the rim, he's actually not, so this photo does not seem to support the claims being made."

So again, proving your case with legitimate logic and reliable measurements and numbers is all fine and good, but it doesn't mean we can start throwing around distorted pictures as a means of saying, "Seeeee?? His head's at the rim from this angle!" as if it's proving anything further.
http://www.movesmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/wilt-chamberlain-ma-66.jpg

eliteballer
08-01-2012, 08:48 PM

This is misleading pic, in the same game they showed from a proper angle and his head was quite below the rim. Highest I've seen LeBron is that Portland leap.

pauk
08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
True... but it depends on the picture, example i think this picture is perfectly fine because its perfect in proportion to the players distance from the rim and the camera angle which shows to be seeing the rim exactly from a 10 feet height (as in not seeing the rim from beneath or from above), at least as perfect as it could ever get from a picture:

(and no, that guy to the right is not standing...)

It is freakish... its mindbogling... but its easy to believe if Lebrons vertical is 44" and him being 6'8", because that means the top of his head is exactly 4 inches above the rim... and this jump clearly shows it no matter if you like it or not.. :P

That Portland pic is as legit as it can get, you can see the video here to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOOoZZB9BY
That is the HIGHEST ive seen Lebron ever get...

Today his max vert is no doubt less than 44" tho...

plowking
08-02-2012, 01:17 AM
I know Kemp could headbutt the ring. He had to get like 12 stitches one time due to it I'm pretty sure. Guess that puts his vertical at 40 inches at least considering he was 6'10 in shoes, and you need some force to cut yourself on the ring. Give him another 2 inches with that 38 needed just to get to the ring.

andgar923
08-02-2012, 01:50 AM
this makes sense, and it's possibly the best way to measure a true vert. Most tests measure actually measure reach which can give the advantage to people with longer arms and reach. This is the best way to measure imo. But what happens with somebody like Mj that appeared to have the most hangtime?

Hangtime isn't necessarily one's vertical jump, but also involves one's ability to control one's body to minimize drag. A good example of this was MJ as a Wizard. Dude's vertical was probably cut in half, but he still hung in the air longer then cats half his age and double the vert.

I suppose no measurement is perfect.

aburre21
06-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Exactly, thank you... all people are kindof like that, some jump higher of two and some of one (but need to run first ofcourse), me for example i am more like Julius/Lebron/James White that way aswell... i mean i can dunk running in from like the 3pt line and of one leg (left leg) with one hand... but with two feet, i cant even touch the rim sometimes no matter what i try... lol...
I think he jumps higher of one leg, but he is also explosive when he jumps off two

http://youtu.be/K7kD79Y1F3M?t=3m52s

check out this block...he takes pretty much one step and jumps of two and his head is near the rim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajpD6YCaHqQ

he got pretty high on that George Hill block as well

Kingwillball
06-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Lebron can still kiss the rim even now.. He may have lost a little on first step and speed but he can still get up..:rockon:

Greg Oden 50
06-04-2013, 10:45 PM
by his shoes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KBB46Qj7gg0

keep in mind this is a dunk, not his max vert. so prime bron's max vert really could be 44 inch. and this is pretty accurate. paul george got 36.2 inch. nick young had 37 4.inch.

one of the dude at Y who is 5ft 11 and can dunk with 2 hands with ease got 37 inch. and he gets 36-37 inch every time. so it's very consistent.

WILKINS HAS BETTER VERTICAL :banana:

plowking
06-04-2013, 10:45 PM
http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/lebron-james-hits-head-on-rin-dunk-570x720.jpg

From yesterdays game on the alley oop from Norris Cole. Clearly still has at least a 41 inch vertical. I'm guessing it would have been 41-44 earlier in his career.

Greg Oden 50
06-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Lebron can still kiss the rim even now.. He may have lost a little on first step and speed but he can still get up..:rockon:

DR.J CAN TOUCH THE TOP OF BROAD :banana:

RichieW
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
It's basic biomechanics that bending your legs when you jump gives you a lower vertical. If he got 40" on that jump specifically, he can almost certainly jump a lot higher.

PickernRoller
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Best power dunker to ever play the game hands down. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

chips93
06-04-2013, 10:52 PM
The results are most definitely skewable anytime measurements are being based upon how long a person is in the air. My little brother said they measured his vertical in high school football by using a sensor pad people would jump on. He said a number of his teammates could bend their legs and land later, thus providing skewed results (longer time in air).

yes, this is exactly what i ment. we did a similar test in school when i was younger, but they specified that you had to land with your legs straight, to not skew the results.

but obviously, nobody is there to make sure lebron doesnt bend his knees when he lands, after his dunk.

chips93
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
this makes sense, and it's possibly the best way to measure a true vert. Most tests measure actually measure reach which can give the advantage to people with longer arms and reach. This is the best way to measure imo. But what happens with somebody like Mj that appeared to have the most hangtime?

Hangtime isn't necessarily one's vertical jump, but also involves one's ability to control one's body to minimize drag. A good example of this was MJ as a Wizard. Dude's vertical was probably cut in half, but he still hung in the air longer then cats half his age and double the vert.

I suppose no measurement is perfect.

a player have better hangtime than another is completely false.

one player may have better body control, and appear graceful, and to be capable of floating in the air, but its 100% an illusion.

KungFuJoe
06-04-2013, 11:01 PM
I had a 36+" vert at my peak. I knew this because a college I used to go to had some contraption that had markers for 8 feet to 11.5 feet by inch increments. You would try to touch as high as you could and compare that to your standing reach. I stood about 6'2 and could hit around 10'10 or so (been a while so memory is hazy).

One time, while messing around on a nine foot rim I went up for a dunk and hit my head on the rim pretty damn hard.

plowking
06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
a player have better hangtime than another is completely false.

one player may have better body control, and appear graceful, and to be capable of floating in the air, but its 100% an illusion.

:oldlol:

I laugh out loud reading some of his posts. "Hang time"? lol...

Jesus. The guy goes around posting like hes a prophet on certain subjects and doesn't know basic physics. :oldlol:

Peteballa
06-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Wow! They honestly have lower verts than I thought. The way they get up there, you'd expect higher. I mean I have a 40 inch vert and I can dunk but nothing like those guys.

Lol, this is why I wish I was like 6'4+ or had a monstrous wingspan. I'd be playing D1 right now -_____- I'm going to try walking on at UF, every college needs their token short white guy at the end of the bench! Looking at you, Stilman White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_3GkStxd4

plowking
06-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Wow! They honestly have lower verts than I thought. The way they get up there, you'd expect higher. I mean I have a 40 inch vert and I can dunk but nothing like those guys.

Lol, this is why I wish I was like 6'4+ or had a monstrous wingspan. I'd be playing D1 right now -_____- I'm going to try walking on at UF, every college needs their token short white guy at the end of the bench! Looking at you, Stilman White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_3GkStxd4

Nice dunks.

I wish I was still skinnier/leaner like I was in high school. 6'3 and 175lbs. :oldlol: Now its 6'3 and 215-225lbs due to wanting to play rugby and hitting the weight room over the last 4 years. In the end didn't end up playing that long. :oldlol:

I always have big respect for guys who can go up 2 hand off 2 feet, especially if they're shorter than me. That's about the max of what I can do these days.

Peteballa
06-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Nice dunks.

I wish I was still skinnier/leaner like I was in high school. 6'3 and 175lbs. :oldlol: Now its 6'3 and 215-225lbs due to wanting to play rugby and hitting the weight room over the last 4 years. In the end didn't end up playing that long. :oldlol:

I always have big respect for guys who can go up 2 hand off 2 feet, especially if they're shorter than me. That's about the max of what I can do these days.

Thanks. Also, that's still good, lol (at bolded).

And being able to dunk like this and the journey to get to this point really makes you appreciate what these athletes can do. To go from an all-out sprint to jumping 40 inches all while running into someone and taking a full-on impact and still dunking... It's nothing short of inconceivable what these guys can do. Most people don't realize it because they've never tried, but these athletes are one and million in their capabilities.

plowking
06-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks. Also, that's still good, lol (at bolded).

And being able to dunk like this and the journey to get to this point really makes you appreciate what these athletes can do. To go from an all-out sprint to jumping 40 inches all while running into someone and taking a full-on impact and still dunking... It's nothing short of inconceivable what these guys can do. Most people don't realize it because they've never tried, but these athletes are one and million in their capabilities.

Absolutely.

When I was in high school and a lot skinnier, I could windmill off 1 foot, but at no point was I jamming on people. In the whole time I played basketball, I dunked on 3 people, total, despite being able to jump. 1 was a putback on a guy that had his back towards me, the other ended up being an offensive foul, but I was still hyped because it was actually huge lol, and one was a basic one hander on someone that jumped late.

I worked my ass off doing Air Alert shit, skipping everyday, squats, etc, and at no point could I come close to replicating what I saw, despite probably having a 35 or 36 inch vertical myself.

Peteballa
06-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Absolutely.

When I was in high school and a lot skinnier, I could windmill off 1 foot, but at no point was I jamming on people. In the whole time I played basketball, I dunked on 3 people, total, despite being able to jump. 1 was a putback on a guy that had his back towards me, the other ended up being an offensive foul, but I was still hyped because it was actually huge lol, and one was a basic one hander on someone that jumped late.

I worked my ass off doing Air Alert shit, skipping everyday, squats, etc, and at no point could I come close to replicating what I saw, despite probably having a 35 or 36 inch vertical myself.

I never had any in-game dunks for a couple of reasons.

1. Having a two foot vertical is completely impractical unless you're talking about rebounds or put backs. Dunking off the dribble is practically unheard of off of two feet unless you are a physical specimen. This is, at least, how it was in my experience.

2. I barely played despite being the best player on my team because my coach made Keith Smart look like Phil Jackson. Awful.

3. Being skinny and lean myself, dunking with any sort of contact was really difficult. The amount of stress and effort I put on my body to just get into the air was enough, but getting bumped completely threw me off. The one time I almost dunked on someone, he fouled me and I completely lost the ball.

NBA players, and honestly college basketball players as well, are incredible athletes. They make it looks so, SO easy, that it makes you think it can't be all that difficult to dunk on someone if you have a decent enough vert.

It is.

Rake2204
06-05-2013, 12:00 AM
I never had any in-game dunks for a couple of reasons.

1. Having a two foot vertical is completely impractical unless you're talking about rebounds or put backs. Dunking off the dribble is practically unheard of off of two feet unless you are a physical specimen. This is, at least, how it was in my experience.

3. Being skinny and lean myself, dunking with any sort of contact was really difficult. The amount of stress and effort I put on my body to just get into the air was enough, but getting bumped completely threw me off. The one time I almost dunked on someone, he fouled me and I completely lost the ball.

NBA players, and honestly college basketball players as well, are incredible athletes. They make it looks so, SO easy, that it makes you think it can't be all that difficult to dunk on someone if you have a decent enough vert.

It is.Your points above are the exact reason I re-focused my dunking to one foot takeoffs when I turned 19. I started as a one foot dunker my freshman year, then discovered how cool and easy it was to hang on the rim when dunking off two feet late in my sophomore year. Before I knew it, I was only dunking off two feet... but only in the layup line and practice. My only real dunking opportunities came on fast breaks and in those cases, setting both of my feet in game situations usually made me slip or allowed the defense enough time to track me down and foul or strip.

Re-discovering one foot takeoffs after high school is one of the best things I ever did. It allowed me to get into the open floor and explode instead of worrying about having to set my feet or allow the defense to recover. Night and day difference. The only time I really dunk off two feet in games anymore is if I'm wiiiiiide open and have a chance to take my time. I'm not sure I'd say a two-foot vertical is impractical and dunking off two feet unheard of for non-specimens though.

That said, I do agree NBA players tend to make dunking appear a little too easy. On one hand, it'd be pretty neat to dunk that easily. On the other hand, I feel like dunking that easily would kind of erase the novelty of dunking itself. I like it being tough enough to where it feels like I'm accomplishing something when I make it happen.

CavaliersFTW
06-05-2013, 12:02 AM
http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/lebron-james-hits-head-on-rin-dunk-570x720.jpg

From yesterdays game on the alley oop from Norris Cole. Clearly still has at least a 41 inch vertical. I'm guessing it would have been 41-44 earlier in his career.
And yet in footage his head clearly wasn't over top of the rim. Just slightly under. This is what happens when you use an 800mm zoom lens from the other side of the court folks. Lebron is closer to the camera than the rim, even if by only a little, but it's enough to distort our perception of his position in space relative to the rim. Lebron definitely jumped high as f*ck that dunk, he even ducked his head a little. But his head - from watching the game itself - definitely did not rise ABOVE the rim. It was about 2 or 3 inches below the rim. Still high as f*ck though, about the highest I've ever seen his head in close proximity to the rim using the game camera angles that preceeded all the B.S. camera angles used to make him look higher than reality. I was impressed as hell at how high he jumped on that play. But let's be honest here, he did not go above the rim, he was VERY close to it though.

Peteballa
06-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Your points above are the exact reason I re-focused my dunking to one foot takeoffs when I turned 19. I started as a one foot dunker my freshman year, then discovered how cool and easy it was to hang on the rim when dunking off two feet late in my sophomore year. Before I knew it, I was only dunking off two feet... but only in the layup line and practice. My only real dunking opportunities came on fast breaks and in those cases, setting both of my feet in game situations usually made me slip or allowed the defense enough time to track me down and foul or strip.

Re-discovering one foot takeoffs after high school is one of the best things I ever did. It allowed me to get into the open floor and explode instead of worrying about having to set my feet or allow the defense to recover. Night and day difference. The only time I really dunk off two feet in games anymore is if I'm wiiiiiide open and have a chance to take my time. I'm not sure I'd say a two-foot vertical is impractical and dunking off two feet unheard of for non-specimens though.

That said, I do agree NBA players tend to make dunking appear a little too easy. On one hand, it'd be pretty neat to dunk that easily. On the other hand, I feel like dunking that easily would kind of erase the novelty of dunking itself. I like it being tough enough to where it feels like I'm accomplishing something when I make it happen.

This is actually why I kind of relish being only 5'10 and dunking, as opposed to being 6'4 or something and dunking. I will never get tired of the feeling of walking to a park as the small, scrawny white kid, and just taking off and cocking it back and dunking it out of nowhere. The reactions never get old. It also gives me a feeling of accomplishment, because it took me for-ev-er to get to this point.

I began switching my jumping style to one foot this spring by doing high jump , and I got really good at it (my one foot vert got to about 34 inches, only 6 less than my two foot vert), and then I got shin splints in my legs and eventually a stress fracture on my left tibia. Jumping off of one leg is painful for me now and gives me tons of issues, whereas jumping off two sort of distributes the power evenly and doesn't injure me. It's weird and slightly annoying, actually.

Oh, also, you're right - jumping off two feet isn't impractical, it just is if you're small enough (like me) to the point where you need to be completely open to dunk the ball. The most realistic time I could have dunked off of two feet would be if I cherry picked like crazy and sat on the other side of the court waiting for a fast break.

plowking
06-05-2013, 12:14 AM
And yet in footage his head clearly wasn't over top of the rim. Just slightly under. This is what happens when you use an 800mm zoom lens from the other side of the court folks. Lebron is closer to the camera than the rim, even if by only a little, but it's enough to distort our perception of his position in space relative to the rim. Lebron definitely jumped high as f*ck that dunk, he even ducked his head a little. But his head - from watching the game itself - definitely did not rise ABOVE the rim. It was about 2 or 3 inches below the rim. Still high as f*ck though, about the highest I've ever seen his head in close proximity to the rim using the game camera angles that preceeded all the B.S. camera angles used to make him look higher than reality. I was impressed as hell at how high he jumped on that play. But let's be honest here, he did not go above the rim, he was VERY close to it though.

I'd say he was in line with it, going by what I see off video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7aB0VlOdmI

You're right that the angle is slightly deceptive though.

CavaliersFTW
06-05-2013, 12:19 AM
I'd say he was in line with it, going by what I see off video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7aB0VlOdmI

You're right that the angle is slightly deceptive though.
Thanks for the vid, I actually agree seeing it again, the underside of the rim looks about level with the top of his head - for some reason I remember thinking he was just below it when watching it live but it happened quick. But I remember being very impressed by how high he got but I def never remembered thinking his head reached "above" the rim :cheers:

plowking
06-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the vid, I actually agree seeing it again, the underside of the rim looks about level with the top of his head - for some reason I remember thinking he was just below it when watching it live but it happened quick. But I remember being very impressed by how high he got but I def never remembered thinking his head reached "above" the rim :cheers:

Going up two handed also, so obviously that will cause you to lose a slight reach advantage, and jump advantage as well.
I think even to this day, his running jump would be in the 41-44 inch range. Incredible for someone that large.

Psycho
06-05-2013, 12:39 AM
That's my boy :applause:

d.bball.guy
06-05-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm a 6'1 point guard and I usually get 41'+ in a game. My replay also makes the background black and white except for me and the ball.

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2013, 01:05 AM
That play against Portland was definitely the highest I've ever seen him get. He looked legitimately above rim level on that one and it is probably as close as we'll ever get to him being in line with the basket and not the more deceiving dunks/blocks in transition.

Btw, not sure how many people realize it, but Memphis' DJ Stephens actually just recorded the highest vertical leap in combine history a few weeks ago... An insane and very official 46-inch leap. :eek:

To put it in perspective, Vince Carter had a 43-inch vert at the 1998 combine, which is 6th best in the event's history.

Yeah, this guy leaps a full three inches higher than Vince, which is hard to fathom.

Here he is literally kissing the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k38_jDJrNT8&feature=player_embedded

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGEOQ-CCAAAJfzn.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/1iihq1.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2vb6k5c.gif

plowking
06-05-2013, 01:14 AM
That DJ kid seems to be cut from the same cloth as Gerald Green.

Fudge
06-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Wish I could measure something else of LeBron's...

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2013, 01:24 AM
That DJ kid seems to be cut from the same cloth as Gerald Green.
Certainly a similar build and similar games coming out of college. Green, sort of surprisingly, only had a 39-inch vert at the 2005 combine. Seemed to me he got more explosive as a leaper a few years later, though.

Still, a 7-inch difference in their respective measured verts is pretty crazy... Especially when you consider 39 inches in itself is pretty ridiculously high.

plowking
06-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Certainly a similar build and similar games coming out of college. Green, sort of surprisingly, only had a 39-inch vert at the 2005 combine. Seemed to me he got more explosive as a leaper a few years later, though.

Still, a 7-inch difference in their respective measured verts is pretty crazy... Especially when you consider 39 inches in itself is pretty ridiculously high.

Green must have been injured, since hes only about 6'6 and a half himself, and we've seen him get his head over the ring. He'd be in the 44-46 inch range himself. I'm guessing he was injured/tired or had to jump in a particular fashion he wasn't accustomed to for the test.

I just read this DJ kid is a PF despite being 6'4? LOL... Don't see him going far.

RedBlackAttack
06-05-2013, 02:30 AM
Green must have been injured, since hes only about 6'6 and a half himself, and we've seen him get his head over the ring. He'd be in the 44-46 inch range himself. I'm guessing he was injured/tired or had to jump in a particular fashion he wasn't accustomed to for the test.

I just read this DJ kid is a PF despite being 6'4? LOL... Don't see him going far.
He's actually closer to 6-6 in shoes and has a 7-foot+ wingspan. But, yeah.... he probably won't get drafted. He's likely destined for the And-1 circuit (or whatever today's equivalent is).

The one guy who is both an explosive leaper and a player with some promise is Shane Larkin. He actually had the 3rd highest vert in combine history at 44-inches this year and he could be a late lottery pick.

Insanely athletic 6-foot tall point guard.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Shane-Larkin-40769/

Lebron23
01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
This shoes measured your vertical leap. How much is this shoe??

Bandito
01-04-2014, 03:33 PM
This shoes measured your vertical leap. How much is this shoe??
More than the monopoly money you earn from your business in the Philippines...:lol

Lebron23
01-04-2014, 03:39 PM
More than the monopoly money you earn from your business in the Philippines...:lol

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

By the way i just recently ordered (via my cousin) Kobe EQT elevation aka Adidas Crazy 97 from this website.

http://packer-shoes.myshopify.com/products/adidas-crazy-97-eqt-elevation-purple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9xBUskKp7g

kennethgriffin
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/adyiw9.png

I could fit around 2.3 head to head lengths inbetween the knee to floor measurement. Dont really know where nike got this 42 inch virt from considering lebrons height is 72 inches

If that were the case his head would be at the top of the backboard

His real vert is around 23-25 inches tops

pauk
01-04-2014, 04:23 PM

:cheers:

pauk
01-04-2014, 04:25 PM
That play against Portland was definitely the highest I've ever seen him get. He looked legitimately above rim level on that one and it is probably as close as we'll ever get to him being in line with the basket and not the more deceiving dunks/blocks in transition.

Btw, not sure how many people realize it, but Memphis' DJ Stephens actually just recorded the highest vertical leap in combine history a few weeks ago... An insane and very official 46-inch leap. :eek:

To put it in perspective, Vince Carter had a 43-inch vert at the 1998 combine, which is 6th best in the event's history.

Yeah, this guy leaps a full three inches higher than Vince, which is hard to fathom.

Here he is literally kissing the rim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k38_jDJrNT8&feature=player_embedded

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGEOQ-CCAAAJfzn.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/1iihq1.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2vb6k5c.gif

Gerald Green 2.0