PDA

View Full Version : Was Charles Barkley An Underrated Dunker and Leaper?

Round Mound
08-02-2012, 11:42 PM
http://wannadunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Charles-Barkley-Dunking.jpg

Atleast for His Weight and Height He Is Among the Best Ever as a Dunker

He Was One of the Most Frequent Dunkers of All Time. Yet People Only Talk About His Rebounds, Post Game, Mid Range, Off Court Activities etc

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/bio/news/story?page=Barkley_Charles

[B]Sir Charles led NBA in dunks, interviews

My idol a lot of times is Charles Barkley. I wish I could say what he says," says Wayne Gretzky on ESPN Classic's SportsCentury series.

The approval meter always had two ends and no center, just the way Charles Barkley liked it. You either enjoyed Barkley's rough and tumble basketball style and his shoot-from-the-hip mouth, or you hated it. The wide-bodied forward left no room for middle ground.

Charles Barkley, chosen fifth in the 1984 draft by the 76ers, was named to the NBA all-rookie team. His coaches, for the most part, loved him. They marveled at his deft touch, his extraordinary rebounding skills -- he averaged 10 or more rebounds a game in 15 of his 16 NBA seasons -- and his clutch play. They learned to live with his outbursts that often led to technical fouls and fines.

"With Charles, you've just got to accept the whole package," said his Philadelphia 76ers coach, Jimmy Lynam. "He's an emotional player, and that emotion is what makes him great."

Barkley, whose all-star career ended in 2000, rarely saw moderation as part of his game, or his life. He blew kisses to opposing fans while at Auburn and grinned when they'd poke fun at his eating habits by delivering pizzas to the court.

"I really don't eat that much," said the 6-foot-4

G-train
08-02-2012, 11:47 PM
About time one of your threads popped up. Bit less colour than usual though.

Round Mound
08-02-2012, 11:50 PM
About time one of your threads popped up. Bit less colour than usual though.

:cheers:

Use the Color To Point Out Things...And Make It Easier To Differentiate From On Fact to Another...

You Think Charles Was an Underrated Dunker?

LAClipsFan33
08-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Definitely. His quickness was also underrated...to me everything about him is underrated simply because he didn't win it all

They'll say...for his size he could do this or that. They fail to understand that he was destroying men of all sizes. He was quicker, stronger, faster, and could jump higher than most guys any size

Round Mound
08-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Definitely. His quickness was also underrated...to me everything about him is underrated simply because he didn't win it all

Same Thing I Think...

Also...Kids That See the Youtube Hilights Only Get a Little % of his Dunks. His Dunks Where Powerfull and Also "Too Many Dunks" ...Underrate His Master Mid Range Game He Had

G-train
08-02-2012, 11:54 PM
:cheers:

Use the Color To Point Out Things...And Make It Easier To Differentiate From On Fact to Another...

You Think Charles Was an Underrated Dunker?

I'm not sure how his dunking is perceived by most. I've always rated him highly as a finisher. Particulary his coast to coast dunks.

LAClipsFan33
08-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Same Thing I Think...

Also...Kids That See the Youtube Hilights Only Get a Little % of his Dunks. His Dunks Where Powerfull and Also "Too Many Dunks" ...Underrate His Master Mid Range Game He Had

I agree. Charles could really shoot by the time he came to the Suns. People often forget how efficient his jump shot was.

LAClipsFan33
08-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Barkley used to bash on everybody. When you talk about a player who was a hog in the paint...Barkley is a picture perfect prototype

LAClipsFan33
08-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Anybody know what Barkley's wingspan was ? Dudes arms are long as sh!t. Most guys would stay on the floor when he went up to dunk because those long ass arms with the 40 inch vert and physical strength were a recipe for embarrassment for the defender

Round Mound
08-03-2012, 12:05 AM
I agree. Charles could really shoot by the time he came to the Suns. People often forget how efficient his jump shot was.

His Shots Wheren`t Really Jumpers...He Was Like Bird in the Way He Would Shoot and His Feet Would Hardly Leave the Ground. He Totally Mastered The Mid Range Region and ofcourse the Post: Where he Would Spin Off of Rumble To the Basket

alwaysunny
08-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Didn't read the thread but underrated? I think most people viewed him as a vicious dunker with explosive athleticism. There are plenty of his highlights on youtube..

Round Mound
08-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Anybody know what Barkley's wingspan was ? Dudes arms are long as sh!t. Most guys would stay on the floor when he went up to dunk because those long ass arms with the 40 inch vert and physical strength were a recipe for embarrassment for the defender

[B]I Don

Remix
08-03-2012, 12:08 AM
One Man Fast Break :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

LAClipsFan33
08-03-2012, 12:08 AM
His Shots Wheren`t Really Jumpers...He Was Like Bird in the Way He Would Shoot and His Feet Would Hardly Leave the Ground. He Totally Mastered The Mid Range Region and ofcourse the Post: Where he Would Spin Off of Rumble To the Basket

I call all mid range shots jumpers. My bad on the confusion. Barkley remains the most unique player that I've ever seen

LAClipsFan33
08-03-2012, 12:09 AM
One Man Fast Break :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Round Mound
08-03-2012, 12:25 AM
I call all mid range shots jumpers. My bad on the confusion. Barkley remains the most unique player that I've ever seen

I Think Bird, Magic and Barkley ...are the Most Unique Players Ever. They Really Had No Exact Position At Court :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

LAClipsFan33
08-03-2012, 12:40 AM
I Think Bird, Magic and Barkley ...are the Most Unique Players Ever. They Really Had No Exact Position At Court :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:bowdown:

Round Mound
08-03-2012, 12:47 AM
This Dunk On Mutombo is Hilarious...What Was Dekembe Thinking :facepalm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPnbqWusWVg

Lebron23
08-03-2012, 12:50 AM
He was a vicious dunker.

Sarcastic
08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
For the first few years, certainly. By the time the 1990s rolled around, and he came out with the Air Max sneakers, he was a fat fck and couldn't lift off the ground.

That's why he started shooting 3 pointers more often.

IGotACoolStory
08-03-2012, 01:00 AM
No but he's an underrated passer. If he played for OKC, he would easily be the most skilled passer on the team.

Round Mound
08-03-2012, 02:03 AM
I'll take Hakeem over all three. :pimp:

Hakeem was a CF that had foot Quickness of a 6`3 SG Just an Incredible Player but more Unique Players where Bird-Magic-Charles cause they Physically Did More Things than the Usual at THEIR RESPECTIVE POSITIONS.

Magic: a 6`7 3/4 ft 230 lbs PG that Ballhandled and Passed like a 6`1 Player, Yet Rebounded and Scored like a SF/PF Hybrid

Bird: 6`9 ft 230 lbs SFthat Played and Shot like a SG, Hustled and Rebounded Like a PF and Passed Like a PG.

Barkley: A 6`4 3/4 ft 260 lbs Powerforward that Played Quick Facing Up like a SG/SF, Scored and Rebounded like a Center and Passed like a Guard

Simply :bowdown:

Round Mound
08-03-2012, 02:07 AM
No but he's an underrated passer. If he played for OKC, he would easily be the most skilled passer on the team.

One of the Reasons Why Charles had Less APG than Others was

1-Bad Teams from 87-92

and

2-Being the Most Doubled and Tripled Forward In NBA History...He Had To Be Mind Quick Every Time He Was 2pbled or 3bpled cause They Where Comming With the Doubled Teams Even in the Mid Range Region!

Hands of Iron
08-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Hakeem was a CF that had foot Quickness of a 6`3 SG Just an Incredible Player but more Unique Players where Bird-Magic-Charles cause they Physically Did More Things than the Usual at THEIR RESPECTIVE POSITIONS.

Magic: a 6`7 3/4 ft 230 lbs PG that Ballhandled and Passed like a 6`1 Player, Yet Rebounded and Scored like a SF/PF Hybrid

Bird: 6`9 ft 230 lbs SFthat Played and Shot like a SG, Hustled and Rebounded Like a PF and Passed Like a PG.

Barkley: A 6`4 3/4 ft 260 lbs Powerforward that Played Quick Facing Up like a SG/SF, Scored and Rebounded like a Center and Passed like a Guard

Simply :bowdown:

I don't necessarily disagree with your pound-for-pound spin on the NBA and trust, Bird and Chuck are amongst my top five favorite players in league history. I would however take Hakeem over any of the three and I'm really not that bothered about paper accomplishments. Olajuwon's offensive skill set is really put to shame by no one. It's what he gives me on the other end of the floor compared to what the others don't as part of my primary reasoning: He's a defensive anchor capable of controlling the paint, closing driving lanes, blocking and altering shots, crashing the glass. None of the three mentioned were particularly great at their own positions defensively, much less matching Hakeem's raw impact. He's an Elite Big, who could score from virtually everywhere on very good efficiency, face up off the dribble, back-to-basket in the low post, capable of closing games and isn't a liability at the line. It's also rather unique when a center is amongst the top ten in steals, something he did more than a couple times. His passing was a relatively weak area up until he went on his peak run from '93-'95 when Rudy took over and started running the offense through him.

ralph_i_el
08-03-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with your pound-for-pound spin on the NBA and trust, Bird and Chuck are amongst my top five favorite players in league history. I would however take Hakeem over any of the three and I'm really not that bothered about paper accomplishments. Olajuwon's offensive skill set is really put to shame by no one. It's what he gives me on the other end of the floor compared to what the others don't as part of my primary reasoning: He's a defensive anchor capable of controlling the paint, closing driving lanes, blocking and altering shots, crashing the glass. None of the three mentioned were particularly great at their own positions defensively, much less matching Hakeem's raw impact. He's an Elite Big, who could score from virtually everywhere on very good efficiency, face up off the dribble, back-to-basket in the low post, capable of closing games and isn't a liability at the line. It's also rather unique when a center is amongst the top ten in steals, something he did more than a couple times. His passing was a relatively weak area up until he went on his peak run from '93-'95 when Rudy took over and started running the offense through him.

I think what he was saying is that Bird, magic, and barkley did more things that their position isn't usually responsible for. Hakeem did the things you'd expect from an elite C and was a freak athlete, but he wasn't running the offense like a PG or shooting 3's. That doesn't mean that he was worth less.

Higher Meaning
08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I'll take Hakeem over all three. :pimp:
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

BrickingStar
08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
poor man lebron

Round Mound
08-03-2012, 03:55 PM
poor man lebron

His Game Was Totally Different than Lebron :confusedshrug:

OldSchoolBBall
08-03-2012, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=Round Mound][B]I Don

lefthook00
08-03-2012, 04:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXZYE9fPjHM

My favorite Chuck mix. Music fits perfectly with his style. Great display of his hops and wingspan.

Round Mound
08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Barkley DEFINITELY had an elite wingspan. No less than 6'9", and probably closer to 6'11" (on a guy 6'6").

You Think So? From What I See Its An Average Wingpsm. His Leaping Ability of Two Legs and Recation Leaping Was Insane Though