PDA

View Full Version : The Legendary Sabonis

Nick Young
08-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Look at this amazing recovery!
In 02-03 Sabonis averaged 6.4 ppg and 4.3 RPG in 15 MPG. He seemingly couldn't run up and down the court but that's still decent for an old grandpa. Shaq and Steve Francis used to use him for poster practice though.

BUT THEN in 03-04 he suddenly recovers and wins an MVP award of an entire continent.

What could have brought about this remarkable recovery?

Bandito
08-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Dude that year he use to be good (like veteran good) but too slow for NBA because of injuries.

bizil
08-07-2012, 05:52 AM
In 02-03 Sabonis averaged 6.4 ppg and 4.3 RPG in 15 MPG. He seemingly couldn't run up and down the court but that's still decent for an old grandpa. Shaq and Steve Francis used to use him for poster practice though.

BUT THEN in 03-04 he suddenly recovers and wins an MVP award of an entire continent.

Sabonis at his best was an absolute BEAST! There has never been a big man like him at any point in NBA. U gotta realize u was 7'3 or 7'4 and was way more athletic before injuries got him. He could bust your ass from three, but still maintained the threat of a dominant big man in the paint. He also had way more handle than any 7'3 guys should ever have. I'm convinced that if Sabonis was a 6'7 SF he would have still made for a great NBA player. Too bad the injuries got to him before he hit the L.

noosaman
08-07-2012, 05:52 AM
I remember that 1st rd series vs dallas, he could barely move. If he were in his prime he would have assraped Shaq

Sakkreth
08-07-2012, 06:34 AM
It's going to backfire to op and it already started, u gotta be quite dumb to do not expect this.

blacknapalm
08-07-2012, 06:40 AM
this reminded me a of a great sabonis article i read from grantland last year:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6867508/arvydas-sabonis-long-strange-trip

"He could do everything. He had the skills of Larry Bird and Pete Maravich. He had the athleticism of Kareem, and he could shoot the 3-point shot. He could pass and run the floor, dribble. We should have carried out a plan in the early 1980s to kidnap him and bring him back right then."

- bill walton

Sabonis joined Real Madrid in 1992 and won two Spanish League titles. George Karl spent two stints coaching the club from 1989 to 1992. His main regret from that period of time is that he left Spain before having the opportunity to coach Sabonis.

"When I came back, I was asked if I could do it all over and try again to bring a championship to Madrid, who would I try to get on my team?" Karl said. "Sabonis was my answer. The best player in Europe was Sabonis. The most difficult player to play against was Sabonis. I had actually told all the NBA scouts who had come over to Europe to see Toni Kukoc and Sabonis at that time the same thing. I told them Kukoc is good. He's an NBA player, but the best guy if you want to win is Sabonis."

Whitsitt asked Portland's team physician, Dr. Robert Cook, to take a look at Sabonis' X-rays before he arrived. Cook asked Whitsitt if he was sure his new player could play. "He said that Arvydas could qualify for a handicapped parking spot based on the X-ray alone," Whitsitt said.

"Many times I would say, 'Arvydas, how does your foot feel?' And he would say, 'It's the same. It hurts. It's always the same,'" Jensen said. "What changed from day to day was how much it hurt. It always bothered him. It was just every day, it may be a little bit different. You would look at his X-rays and you would say, 'How in the world is he running up and down the floor?'"

plowking
08-07-2012, 06:44 AM
I think Sabonis would have been a top 5, if not the best center ever had he started his career in the NBA. Guy was a beast.
Too big, too strong, too skilled. He had everything.

ILLsmak
08-07-2012, 06:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik

lookitdatshit

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
08-07-2012, 07:07 AM
One of my favorites. He was a real pleasure to watch play.

Sakkreth
08-07-2012, 08:29 AM
It's nothing really much to think about, think of Sabonis you've seen in the NBA and add good athleticisim and speed to him. Scary.

Rake2204
08-07-2012, 08:47 AM
For the selection of people here who were actually able to watch Sabonis play in his prime, I respect your opinions and memories. For everyone else though, how are you guys gathering your information on his true skills? Is it just based upon what other people have said about him (such as Bill Walton, a guy never big on hyperbole)?

I don't mean this as a criticism of Sabonis. It's just, after years of his name being brought up in discussions, and the inevitable posts in response claiming he may have ended up as the best big man of all-time, I'm always left searching in vain for what the rest of us non-European posters under age 37 have apparently missed. I see short mixtapes where he makes good plays (and dunks on David Robinson) but that is about it. I watched Sabonis come stateside and put in work while hardly being able to move, but that still doesn't necessarily lead me to believe he would have been the best big man of all-time.

Finally (and perhaps most importantly), has anyone seen a series of moves more awkward and off-the-wall than Sabonis' argument with a referee in the video posted earlier? It seems like it'd be a fun gif: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik#t=0m46s. He's like a malfunctioning robot. In a span of five seconds he goes from "WHAT!?" to "Whoa! No offense, sir" to pop-and-lock to CPU override. I've never seen anything like it.

Poetry
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Finally (and perhaps most importantly), has anyone seen a series of moves more awkward and off-the-wall than Sabonis' argument with a referee in the video posted earlier? It seems like it'd be a fun gif: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06usV6451ik#t=0m46s. He's like a malfunctioning robot. In a span of five seconds he goes from "WHAT!?" to "Whoa! No offense, sir" to pop-and-lock to CPU override. I've never seen anything like it.

Yeah it's very funny, someone please make this a GIF.

Harison
08-07-2012, 10:02 AM
As I have watched Sabonis in his prime, I can confirm what many NBA stars and coaches said - if he played all his career in NBA, he would have been among the best to ever play this game, along with Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq, etc.

swi7ch
08-07-2012, 10:06 AM
McGee woulda dropped 50 on this fool.

Calabis
08-07-2012, 10:07 AM

Kobetards are really an embarrassment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tnToDLHV4

Harison
08-07-2012, 10:08 AM

That was a dance move. It was Sabonis style, and he had guts to pull it off.

Even more famous "the duck" dance, when his team beat the Russia.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oDLSQ-5xdo#t=1m06s

plowking
08-07-2012, 10:09 AM
For the selection of people here who were actually able to watch Sabonis play in his prime, I respect your opinions and memories. For everyone else though, how are you guys gathering your information on his true skills? Is it just based upon what other people have said about him (such as Bill Walton, a guy never big on hyperbole)?

I don't mean this as a criticism of Sabonis. It's just, after years of his name being brought up in discussions, and the inevitable posts in response claiming he may have ended up as the best big man of all-time, I'm always left searching in vain for what the rest of us non-European posters under age 37 have apparently missed. I see short mixtapes where he makes good plays (and dunks on David Robinson) but that is about it. I watched Sabonis come stateside and put in work while hardly being able to move, but that still doesn't necessarily lead me to believe he would have been the best big man of all-time.

I'm only 21, only seen a handful of his games before he came into the NBA as an old, banged up, and injured player. But from those games, and everything I've read personally from other NBA players/analysts, and the opinions of older posters, as well as people I play basketball with who have seen him, it backs up.
If you're lucky enough to find a few of his games, do watch them.

Calabis
08-07-2012, 10:49 AM
That was a dance move. It was Sabonis style, and he had guts to pull it off.

Even more famous "the duck" dance, when his team beat the Russia.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oDLSQ-5xdo#t=1m06s

Was this mf'er #7 in that video

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080306/prehistoric-hotties/iceman_l.jpg

Poetry
08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Was this mf'er #7 in that video

Number 7 was sporting an epic beard, but overall it was a weak era for beards.

Droid101
08-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Think about this for a second...

...if not for Sabonis going over there and DOMINATING, Anthony Parker might have been a THREE TIME Euroleague MVP.

Let that simmer.

ralph_i_el
08-07-2012, 11:06 AM

:applause:

Rake2204
08-07-2012, 11:09 AM
With that said, very strong era for mustaches and mullets.

Rooster
08-07-2012, 11:14 AM
I think Sabonis would have been a top 5, if not the best center ever had he started his career in the NBA. Guy was a beast.
Too big, too strong, too skilled. He had everything.

He would been on the 2nd tier of best center alongside Admiral.

Rooster
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
It's nothing really much to think about, think of Sabonis you've seen in the NBA and add good athleticisim and speed to him. Scary.

He will be great player nonetheless but you are spreading his myth. When he had all those, he could not dominate a college version of the Admiral. Hakeem basically dominate a grown man version of Admiral.

Poetry
08-07-2012, 11:21 AM
With that said, very strong era for mustaches and mullets.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m84tj65AGV1rxmewwo4_1280.jpg

julizaver
08-07-2012, 11:25 AM
This is one of my favourite players - Sabonis is the most gifted and talanted Europe player I have ever seen with very hiqh basketball IQ, BUT he has NEVER realized his potential. To be mentioned along with the All time greats he should go to college right after USSR basketball tour in USA in 1982 when he was the leading scorer (18 ppg and 9 rpg in 27 mun- 9 games) at the age of 17. Four years in WC in Madrid he was not exactly the player, who some of the experts expect to be. He DID NOT exactly destroy David Robinson, it was about an even match up with Robinson better during the first half and Sabonis better during the second half of the game. The stats are internet available (also the entire game in youtube as I remember)and shows Sabonis with 16 points and 11 rebounds agaainst 20 points and 4 rebounds for Robinson. Both players shot around 0.50 FG.
And some rare info - in 1986 WC Sabonis was already bothered by some injuries and did not take part in the pregames for USSR. Also I have read an article in which A. Gomelsky (soviet coach) said that in that championship Sabonis was not himself and it is his worst championship till that moment in his career.
In my opinion and comparing him to Robinson - Sabonis was the more gifted rebounder and passer as he was also good in shot-blocking.

KOBE143
08-07-2012, 11:26 AM
He's a beast.. But Joel Anthony >>> Prime Sabonis. :lol

TMacMagic
08-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Sabonis was a boss. Imagine him in the NBA during his prime with good athletic trainers.

Would have to rename the game to SabonisBall.

knickballer
08-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Would destroy every single big man in today's NBA.

ZenMaster
08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Full games with Sabonis can be found here: http://descargasbasket.blogspot.dk/search/label/Sabonis

Clippersfan86
08-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately for me I only got to watch an older Sabonis live with the Blazers. I do remember him being the only bigman even at that age/conditioning though that I've ever seen come even close to being able to handle Shaq physically in the post. He still got killed like everybody else but he didn't get bullied nearly as much.

From footage I've seen though and accounts from coaches, players and scouts... it's clear this guy is one of the greatest players of all time (whole career). I mean look at his battle with D Rob during Olympics? As somebody else said that combination of size, skill and athleticism will never be matched. 7'3, 300+ pounds with a SF skillset as well as a great post game and great defense.

get these NETS
08-07-2012, 12:07 PM
best case for Sabonis made by Walton

he PLAYED with prime Bird....doesn't have any beef with him..and has repeatedly said that Sabonis was a 7 foot or 7'3" Larry Bird

we'll never know if he had the heart and balls that Bird had to take and make CLUTCH shots his entire career, but Walton's co-sign is a good indicator of what kind of skillset Sabonis had.

Walton tried to get him to defect before, which tells you all you need to know about American athlete mindset....hey, leave your entire family behind the iron curtain and come to the NBA

the REAL question is why does Ray Liotta(goodfellas) look EXACTLY like Sabonis now?

RoseCity07
08-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Portland defintely had their chance at godly players and it never works out. Mj and durant..Pass. Sabonis, Oden, Roy. Career ruined by injuries. Chris Paul ? Nah we will take martell Webster.

Kblaze8855
08-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Sabonis was a good player even in his last couple years over here. I missed him the moment he was gone.

Da KO King
08-07-2012, 01:09 PM
The legend is better than reality.

BoutPractice
08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
We can talk about hypotheticals all we want, but Sabonis did make a fantastic career for himself regardless of injuries.

At 34 and barely able to run, he put up 16, 10 and 3 for a playoff team... In a way that's even more impressive than all the "ifs" we can think of. It shows what he was still capable of doing under the most adverse of circumstances.

Phanatik
08-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Did the Blazers have a chance to get Chris Paul?

IGotACoolStory
08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Even when he was old and broken down, he still guard relatively guard peak Shaq and that passing of his :bowdown:

Divac and Webber were nice... I haven't watched a ton of Walton games... But to me, Sabonis tops them all in that department.

magnax1
08-07-2012, 08:05 PM
A while ago Shaqattack posted a link to some games of Sabonis in the 80s, including his olympic game vs Robinson. He actually didn't dominate him nearly as badly as people made it out to be, but in all those game Sabonis was still very impressive, and probably a top 10 (probably 5) player in the NBA during the period. His defense however, was not impressive compared to the other great centers of the late 80's and early 90s. Of course, it was a pretty small sample size so take it with a grain of salt.

Rooster
08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
A while ago Shaqattack posted a link to some games of Sabonis in the 80s, including his olympic game vs Robinson. He actually didn't dominate him nearly as badly as people made it out to be, but in all those game Sabonis was still very impressive, and probably a top 10 (probably 5) player in the NBA during the period. His defense however, was not impressive compared to the other great centers of the late 80's and early 90s. Of course, it was a pretty small sample size so take it with a grain of salt.

Sabas never dominated the Admiral. This myth spread like a plague because of YouTube highlights.

magnax1
08-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Sabas never dominated the Admiral. This myth spread like a plague because of YouTube highlights.
He certainly outplayed him, and he was quite a bit physically bigger considering it was college Robinson, but it wasn't some sort of embarrassment or anything.

Rooster
08-07-2012, 08:18 PM
He certainly outplayed him, and he was quite a bit physically bigger considering it was college Robinson, but it wasn't some sort of embarrassment or anything.

Outplayed him. :facepalm

Did you even watch the game ?:oldlol:

Round Mound
08-07-2012, 08:24 PM
1986 Sabonis before Injuries was the Best Center after Hakeem and Shaq in the Last 25 Years.

He Totally Destroyed Robinson and was ONLY 8 Months Older...So Don`t Give Me The "He Was in College Still" Crap.

Had He Entered the NBA in 84 or 85 He Would Have Had A Great Career and Had He Stayed Healthy...You Would Easily Consider Himself To Be in the Top 5-6 Centers Ever

Rooster
08-07-2012, 08:27 PM
1986 Sabonis before Injuries was the Best Center after Hakeem and Shaq in the Last 25 Years.

He Totally Destroyed Robinson and was ONLY 8 Months Older...So Don`t Give Me The "He Was in College Still" Crap.

Had He Entered the NBA in 83 or 84 he would have had a Great Career and Would Consider Himself To Be in the Top 5-6 Centers Ever

Totally destroyed Robinson.:coleman:

Not again

NOHCP3
08-07-2012, 08:35 PM
I remember watching him as a kid and thinking he'd be great if he wasn't so fat old and slow. Wasn't a student of the game then. Once I watched pre injury Sabonis I said wow. Shame we saw the old busted version.

Sadly I'll always think of Shaq saying "I own Arvydas Sabonis"

Rake2204
08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
http://www.lisamacci.com/thejusticehour/images5/ArvydasSabonis.jpg

get these NETS
08-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Had He Entered the NBA in 84 or 85 He Would Have Had A Great Career and Had He Stayed Healthy...You Would Easily Consider Himself To Be in the Top 5-6 Centers Ever

noticed a trend with you

white player's name comes up, you immediately start using the word "best"

blacknapalm
08-07-2012, 11:44 PM
noticed a trend with you

white player's name comes up, you immediately start using the word "best"

you must be thinking of noosaman. round mound is a huge barkley homer who also likes c-webb amongst others