PDA

View Full Version : Is Nate Thurmond blocking a Kareem SKYHOOK attempt?

CavaliersFTW
08-09-2012, 01:35 AM
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/221/5/d/skyhookblocknate_by_dantheman9758-d5aj2t6.gif

I can't tell if this is a legit skyhook by Kareem - if it is than Nate looks to be capable of blocking skyhooks too :eek:

jlauber
08-09-2012, 01:38 AM
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/221/5/d/skyhookblocknate_by_dantheman9758-d5aj2t6.gif

I can't tell if this is a legit skyhook by Kareem - if it is than Nate looks to be capable of blocking skyhooks too :eek:

I think Kareem had many skyhooks blocked, but Chamberlain was the only one who could block it at it's apex. In most all of the other blocks, the ball is still in Kareem's hand.

Once again, Chamberlain was routinely blocking it.

BTW, Thurmond supposedly had a higher standing reach than Chamberlain.

SyRyanYang
08-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Doesn't look like a typical skyhook, nice block nevertheless

fpliii
08-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Thurmond was quite the vascular man...

jlauber
08-09-2012, 01:41 AM
And no one else played Kareem tougher defensively, than Thurmond, either.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263453

CavaliersFTW
08-09-2012, 01:44 AM
I think Kareem had many skyhooks blocked, but Chamberlain was the only one who could block it at it's apex. In most all of the other blocks, the ball is still in Kareem's hand.

Wait tho, Kareem didn't have many skyhooks blocked. I don't doubt that it was possibly blocked by a few players in his career but I think it was ultra rare and I can't think of more than half a dozen players who would have even been capable of reaching it, regardless of where it was after leaving his hands, no? Altering a (Kareem) skyhook isn't an every day shot blocking ability - if Nate is touching a Kareem skyhook its something special IMO

imnew09
08-09-2012, 01:46 AM
He was barley going up, but yea it was a nice, clean block.

jlauber
08-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Wait tho, Kareem didn't have many skyhooks blocked. I don't doubt that it was possibly blocked by a few players in his career but I think it was ultra rare and I can't think of more than half a dozen players who would have even been capable of reaching it, regardless of where it was after leaving his hands, no? Altering a (Kareem) skyhook isn't an every day shot blocking ability - if Nate is touching a Kareem skyhook its something special IMO

I SAW almost ALL of the Wilt-Kareem H2H's. And Chamberlain was ROUTINELY blocking the skyhook. As it is we have a KNOWN 30 blocks, in just SEVEN of their 28 H2H's (and in another, the recap claimed "numerous" blocks." Now, I couldn't tell you how many of those 30 were skyhooks, but given the fact that Kareem's go-to shot was the skyhook, the assumption has to be that at least some 20 were skyhooks (and once again...in SEVEN of their 28 H2H's.) Furthermore, if Chamberlain were not blocking the skyhook (and he indeed was), why would Kareem have taken any shot besides the skyhook against him?

The fact was, it had become so routine, that it was seldom even mentioned in recaps. The recaps just listed the blocks on Kareem.

And, since the two played in 28 H2H games, and given the fact that Wilt had averaged over four blocks in those seven games, there is a good chance that Wilt probably blocked some 50 skyhooks in their 28 H2H's.

jlauber
08-09-2012, 01:54 AM

Even the relative unknown 6-8 Bill Willoughby blocked the skyhook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r09WtKVwaMU

Of course, that was not a PRIME Kareem, though.

jlauber
08-09-2012, 01:58 AM
BTW,

IF we could get all six games of the '72 WCF's, there would be a SUBSTANTIAL amount of evidence of Chamberlain routinely blocking the skyhook.

It has always amazed me that we have ZERO footage of the '72 WCF's, of which EVERY game was televised in prime time.

It may have been Chamberlain's finest hour...

CavaliersFTW
08-09-2012, 02:00 AM

That is NOT a skyhook attempt, Kareem clearly positioned himself for a dunk in that video. His first step resembles his approach for a skyhook only vaguely and after half way into that step the way he positions his body and arcs his arm backwards after is clearly not the motion of the otherwise robotic, deliberate looking skyhook. To me the shot that Willoughby blocked is Kareem's signature 1 handed dunk that I've seen him throw down often in 70's footage back when he still had great athleticism. The youtube uploaders title is misleading

kennethgriffin
08-09-2012, 02:01 AM
most unstopable shot ever is the dirk/kobe step back fade

never been blocked before. the high knee seperates you from the defender

fpliii
08-09-2012, 02:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PeGG_Vf74

jlauber
08-09-2012, 02:02 AM
That is NOT a skyhook attempt, Kareem clearly positioned himself for a dunk in that video. His first 2 steps resemble his approach for a skyhook only vaguely and after those steps the way he positions his body and arcs his arm backwards after is clearly not the motion of the otherwise robotic, deliberate looking skyhook. In fact it is clearly the motion of him prepping for his signature 1 handed dunk that I've seen him throw down often in 70's footage back when he still had great athleticism. The youtube uploaders title is misleading

Debatable. It certainly resembles his skyhook form. Once again, though, the ball is still in his hand. To my knowledge, Chamberlain was the only player to ever block it after it was released.

jlauber
08-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Incidently, Chamberlain used to overplay Kareem to his natural right side, which is where Kareem would launch the skyhook. By overplaying it, he was getting to the "opening" on that side, and with his incredible vertical, was easily capable of blocking it. Kareem probably got a few easy baskets because Chamberlain overplayed so much to that side, by faking right, and spinning left.

jlauber
08-09-2012, 02:21 AM
I believe Julizaver found a recap in their very FIRST meeting, which credited Wilt with a block on Kareem's skyhook. Hopefully he will read this, and confirm.

CavaliersFTW
08-09-2012, 02:32 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/y%20NBA%20etc/1%20Golden%20State%20Warriors/Nate%20Thurmond/natethurmond1.jpg

http://youtu.be/OJ4B5O6TAiI

Nate Thurmond

jongib369
08-09-2012, 02:35 AM
I believe Julizaver found a recap in their very FIRST meeting, which credited Wilt with a block on Kareem's skyhook. Hopefully he will read this, and confirm.
I cannot begin to express to you how jealous I am that you got to see these games on TV let alone attend them lol.....Is it true Thurmond played better D on Wilt than Russell? And have you ever heard Russell say where he ranks Thurmonds defense? If im not mistaken I think i remember Wilt saying thurmond played better 1 on 1 D on him....Considering how long chamberlain is, the fact nate had a higher standing reach makes him sound like a mutant lol.

Btw, can you explain this??? Chamberlain's name is 3rd from right

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/Other/2010-Mar-3-KU-KS-Basketball/11422088_RV95wX/1/802998009_egCGD#!i=802999094&k=gPutA&lb=1&s=A

jongib369
08-09-2012, 02:36 AM
I've seen the muhhamed ali chamberlain wingspan tale of the tape...7'8 wingspan...but why would a kansas memorial say 7'2??

CavaliersFTW
08-09-2012, 02:40 AM
I cannot begin to express to you how jealous I am that you got to see these games on TV let alone attend them lol.....Is it true Thurmond played better D on Wilt than Russell? And have you ever heard Russell say where he ranks Thurmonds defense? If im not mistaken I think i remember Wilt saying thurmond played better 1 on 1 D on him....Considering how long chamberlain is, the fact nate had a higher standing reach makes him sound like a mutant lol.

Btw, can you explain this??? Chamberlain's name is 3rd from right

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/Other/2010-Mar-3-KU-KS-Basketball/11422088_RV95wX/1/802998009_egCGD#!i=802999094&k=gPutA&lb=1&s=A
I believe he said "just as good"

and can we try to talk about Nate and not Wilt in this thread? There's had to have been at least a dozen Wilt threads this past week alone I'm trying to shine some light on Nate Thurmond

senelcoolidge
08-09-2012, 02:45 AM

Wow, Bill Willoughby. If I remember correctly he was the first or one of the first NBA player drafted straight out of high school. Didn't live up to what he was projected to be. But a nice block none the less. He had a near 50 inch vertical leap.
Thurmond was a great defensive big man. Very overlooked. Other than Chamberlain I could see Thurmond blocking the sky hook.

jongib369
08-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Sorry was just trying to ask a question, should of asked it in a PM. Not trying to steal the spotlight from Nate, just didnt think adding another question along with one about nate would be a problem.

CavaliersFTW
08-09-2012, 02:58 AM
Sorry was just trying to ask a question, should of asked it in a PM. Not trying to steal the spotlight from Nate, just didnt think adding another question along with one about nate would be a problem.
That wasn't directed just to you that was to Jlauber too lol, threads about anything 60's/center related tend to get derailled and hijacked into Wilt threads lol

BlueandGold
08-09-2012, 03:04 AM

Thanks for posting this, we can debate the semantics and details of what exactly a "blocked skyhook attempt" actually means but from first appearances it definitely looks like Willoughby did block that particular attempt and also thurmond and wilt routinely did block the skyhook?

kennethgriffin
08-09-2012, 03:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PeGG_Vf74

lol thats not even remotely close to a dirk style 1 legged step back fade

that was a run to the left jump off 2 foot leaner

jongib369
08-09-2012, 03:14 AM
haha I gotcha, makes sense though...Talk about Drexler in the 90s you know its going to turn into a Jordan thread lol.

Could you possibly PM your take on what I asked Jlauber? Considering your the one who opened my eyes to how good Wilt was in the first place...Was always a fan but never saw that much footage/ seen the info on wingspan etc.

ANYWAYS, people seem to forget about thurmond...I'd love to see how he'd effect Shaq's FG%.

http://i40.tinypic.com/292xmra.jpg

Deuce Bigalow
08-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Nice quality gif, especially from the 70s :applause:

bluechox2
08-09-2012, 03:20 AM
haha I gotcha, makes sense though...Talk about Drexler in the 90s you know its going to turn into a Jordan thread lol.

Could you possibly PM your take on what I asked Jlauber? Considering your the one who opened my eyes to how good Wilt was in the first place...Was always a fan but never saw that much footage/ seen the info on wingspan etc.

ANYWAYS, people seem to forget about thurmond...I'd love to see how he'd effect Shaq's FG%.

http://i40.tinypic.com/292xmra.jpg

lebrons idol :coleman:

millwad
08-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Still waiting for Jlauber to actually post any proof that Wilt blocked 20+ skyhooks in his '72 playoff meeting against Kareem.. :facepalm

Oh, wait, Jlauber REMEMBERS them blocks, the same guy who couldn't remember how good the era he "watched" 'til he checked some boxscores and youtube-videos remembers in detail how many skyhooks Wilt blocked..

Jlauber, still waiting for anything that proves your nonsense, and I don't mean mistyped youtube-comments from CavaliersFTW.. :facepalm

millwad
08-09-2012, 06:34 AM
I SAW almost ALL of the Wilt-Kareem H2H's. And Chamberlain was ROUTINELY blocking the skyhook. As it is we have a KNOWN 30 blocks, in just SEVEN of their 28 H2H's (and in another, the recap claimed "numerous" blocks." Now, I couldn't tell you how many of those 30 were skyhooks, but given the fact that Kareem's go-to shot was the skyhook, the assumption has to be that at least some 20 were skyhooks (and once again...in SEVEN of their 28 H2H's.) Furthermore, if Chamberlain were not blocking the skyhook (and he indeed was), why would Kareem have taken any shot besides the skyhook against him?

The fact was, it had become so routine, that it was seldom even mentioned in recaps. The recaps just listed the blocks on Kareem.

And, since the two played in 28 H2H games, and given the fact that Wilt had averaged over four blocks in those seven games, there is a good chance that Wilt probably blocked some 50 skyhooks in their 28 H2H's.

You retarded ****, so all your spamming about Wilt blocking 20-30 skyhooks was a pure assumption?

Wow, you're beyond retarded.

Harison
08-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Its wasnt a true skyhook, but there is really no shot in the basketball which is 100% unblockable, including skyhook.

Story Up
08-09-2012, 07:57 AM
What does Wilt have to do ith this thread? Stfu already.

Rake2204
08-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for posting this, we can debate the semantics and details of what exactly a "blocked skyhook attempt" actually means but from first appearances it definitely looks like Willoughby did block that particular attempt and also thurmond and wilt routinely did block the skyhook?
Again, you're right in that it's semantics, but upon first look I actually thought that move appeared to be an attempted Kareem drop-in or dunk. I wouldn't call it Kareem's signature Sky Hook. It's be similar to watching Dirk Nowitzki finding himself underneath the basket, pump-faking, then shooting a contested "power" fall-away (i.e. not his signature fallaway) and getting blocked. Technically, it'd be a fallaway getting blocked, but not what we know as "The Dirk".

Also, the original clip did not quite seem to be a full-fledged Sky Hook either. Both appear to be hybrids that, as illustrated, were left vulnerable to opposing defenders.

Batz
08-09-2012, 08:14 AM
That was a normal hook shot.

dunksby
08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
jlauber is full of shit, that much we all know.

ILLsmak
08-09-2012, 12:17 PM

All things considered, that's a foul. He came across his body and made body on body contact before he got the ball.

-Smak

L.Kizzle
08-09-2012, 12:41 PM
All things considered, that's a foul. He came across his body and made body on body contact before he got the ball.

-Smak
Yeah, maybe if LeBron was doin' the skyhook. No Foul.

pauk
08-09-2012, 12:56 PM

its dirks move entirely, which at 7' pure shooter makes it unstoppable, kobe is just an immitator and it doesnt work equally well as a 6'5 guy with also less accuracy, just like he is immitating much from jordan aswell which none of it works equally well considering jordan hit those shots at 50%-55% and at bigger production...

CavaliersFTW
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, maybe if LeBron was doin' the skyhook. No Foul.
yup, Nate hit all ball, and that's what the refs will look at

Pointguard
08-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Thurmond got it before it reached its Zenith in that clip. Nate studied Kareem and his footwork just as he did everybody else. I can't say for sure but it looked like Nate studied the movement before the last step in opposing centers. You see him position his weight on guys just before their full momentum gets in stride. He also just fought in denying guys their favorite spots as well. Nate did too much body work on Reed, Kareem and Wilt to block them a lot. Nate used timed body bumps and denial of position unlike anybody since him.

In Kareem's early years the hook wasn't as predictable or deliberate. He had a shake move and his springs were flat out quicker - his step before the left foot leap was much quicker and shorter. I think Kareem positioned his body better in the '80's but he wasn't always consistent with that. Wilt had great timing, height and a somewhat delayed jump which is why he got it more than anybody else. Wilt, like Thurmond in this video, knew how to step into Kareems timing. It was just one more thing Wilt could do that nobody else could. And younger Wilt, say '67, would likely have played ping pong with it being that Wilt got it a good amount of times when past his prime and severe surgery didn't stop the block party in '71.

jlauber
08-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Thurmond got it before it reached its Zenith in that clip. Nate studied Kareem and his footwork just as he did everybody else. I can't say for sure but it looked like Nate studied the movement before the last step in opposing centers. You see him position his weight on guys just before their full momentum gets in stride. He also just fought in denying guys their favorite spots as well. Nate did too much body work on Reed, Kareem and Wilt to block them a lot. Nate used timed body bumps and denial of position unlike anybody since him.

In Kareem's early years the hook wasn't as predictable or deliberate. He had a shake move and his springs were flat out quicker - his step before the left foot leap was much quicker and shorter. I think Kareem positioned his body better in the '80's but he wasn't always consistent with that. Wilt had great timing, height and a somewhat delayed jump which is why he got it more than anybody else. Wilt, like Thurmond in this video, knew how to step into Kareems timing. It was just one more thing Wilt could do that nobody else could. And younger Wilt, say '67, would likely have played ping pong with it being that Wilt got it a good amount of times when past his prime and severe surgery didn't stop the block party in '71.

Great post. The fact that we never saw a PRIME Chamberlain go up against Kareem is one of the biggest "what-if's" in sports history.

Of course, CavsFan doesn't want this to be about Chamberlain...

and of course, I already provided ALL 43 H2H games (with as much known info, anyway) of the Kareem-Nate matchups.

As for blocking the skyhook. Not a big deal. Kareem's skyhook was blocked many times in his career.

DatAsh
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM

:oldlol:

Great first reply for a Thurmond appreciation thread :applause:

jlauber
08-09-2012, 07:29 PM
:oldlol:

Great first reply for a Thurmond appreciation thread :applause:

Give me some credit though...right after that post...

And no one else played Kareem tougher defensively, than Thurmond, either.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=263453

Which is really more than anyone else did regarding Nate.

dude77
08-09-2012, 07:32 PM
not a sky hook by the definition of a kareem sky hook .. torso's facing the basket .. good defense though

SHAQisGOAT
08-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Nate Thurmond - Greatest post defender of all time

Still the skyhook is the best NBA move ever