PDA

View Full Version : Is Yao Ming a first ballot HOFer?

ImmortalD24
08-09-2012, 11:07 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2yxkbgm.jpg

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
NO

throw out the all star stuff, rigged

career of 5 second and third all nba teams does not make you an allstar

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Kobe's quote is wrong also

Wang..forget his last name was first Chinese player in nba
and Sarunas Marculonis was the pioneer for European guys..NOT Vlade

Kobe is being gracious to Yao and Vlade, but he's a student of the game..he knows better

riseagainst
08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I think he is; the dude's a legend.

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Yes, based on international contributions to the game. And rightfully so.

You guys need to realize that not everyone that goes into the Hall of Fame is there based on accomplishments as a player.

Strictly based on his playing career, he is not a HOF player. Everyone knows that. However, he had a profound impact on the game of basketball.

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Prove it.

SilkkTheShocker
08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
If Yao gets in than we should just let everyone in. Basketball hall of fame is a joke

TheBigVeto
08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes of course.
If your answer is no, it's obvious that you are racist.

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Prove it.

Yao Ming is Injured But is Still an All-Star: The Houston Rockets' Yao Ming has played five games this season. Yet, he is the leading vote getter for the 2011 NBA All-Star Game among Western Conference Centers.

supporting your countryman is one thing but how was he even on the ballot?

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Yao Ming is Injured But is Still an All-Star: The Houston Rockets' Yao Ming has played five games this season. Yet, he is the leading vote getter for the 2011 NBA All-Star Game among Western Conference Centers.

supporting your countryman is one thing but how was he even on the ballot?

So it was rigged all of those years Grant Hill and other players that were injured were voted it, too?

Casual fans not paying attention or not caring if guys are injured =/= rigging.

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 11:39 AM
If Yao gets in than we should just let everyone in. Basketball hall of fame is a joke

You don't understand how it works. That's why you think that.

riseagainst
08-09-2012, 11:40 AM

hall of fame > championships (the ultimate goal of every player)
i'd rather be a hall of famer than to have multiple rings/fmvps.
You should stop your fail trolling.

FireDavidKahn
08-09-2012, 11:42 AM
”In terms of opening up doors for Chinese basketball players to come to the NBA, or for the youth here in China to believe that it’s possible to achieve the dream of being an NBA player, all that started from Yao,” Los Angeles Lakers guard Bryant said.

“The movement that started in the NBA of the influx of European players coming to the NBA was started by Vlade Divac, Dino Radja and those guys.

“Even that movement didn’t have the impact and magnitude that Yao Ming has had. And on top of that, he’s just a heck of a basketball player to boot,” Bryant, who is in China on a promotional tour, added.

"In terms of opening up doors for Chinese basketball players to come to the NBA"

lol. I keep hearing this about Yao but it just isn't true, he didn't open up anything.

greymatter
08-09-2012, 11:44 AM
As a player, hell no.

As an "ambassador", well whatever. If they want to vote based on feel-good nonsense, so be it.

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
So it was rigged all of those years Grant Hill and other players that were injured were voted it, too?

Casual fans not paying attention or not caring if guys are injured =/= rigging.

penny hardaway FAMOUSLY...or infamously missed entire first half of season...but came back in time to start in ASG..and that was bullshit also

I think only reason you care is because perhaps you are American of Chinese heritage....but in your heart of hearts....you know he was more of marketing tool for the NBA to enter Chinese tv and merchandise than he was a legit all star.

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM
penny hardaway FAMOUSLY...or infamously missed entire first half of season...but came back in time to start in ASG..and that was bullshit also

So, you're saying that it was rigged for Penny as well?

I think only reason you care is because perhaps you are American of Chinese heritage

:oldlol:

I'm as white as white gets. Scotch/Irish and German.

....but in your heart of hearts....you know he was more of marketing tool for the NBA to enter Chinese tv and merchandise than he was a legit all star.

The subject isn't him being an All-Star (which he was legitimately for at least 4 seasons). The subject is him being a 1st ballot HOFer.

FireDavidKahn
08-09-2012, 12:00 PM

The subject isn't him being an All-Star (which he was legitimately for at least 4 seasons). The subject is him being a 1st ballot HOFer.
What did he do besides be the best Chinese player to ever play in the NBA? The "opening the door to the Chinese" argument doesn't really hold much weight. How many Chinese have played in the league before/after Ming that came from China?

riseagainst
08-09-2012, 12:03 PM
What did he do besides be the best Chinese player to ever play in the NBA? The "opening the door to the Chinese" argument doesn't really hold much weight. How many Chinese have played in the league before/after Ming that came from China?

it's not that there are more Chinese players entering the league, because that's dependent on whether the league wants the players. It's more about opening up the NBA market to Southeast Asia, making the NBA a true global market.

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 12:03 PM

maybe you're dating an Asian woman, then?

Subject of him being any kind of HOF is laughable, subject of fans outside of America stuffing the ballot box for him EVEN when his play didn't merit it....is the REAL subject.

If I'm not mistaken, he was at some point leading asg votes THIS past season even though he had retired..

ASG is a popularity contest and it always has been, BUT.....people voting for Yao Ming made a mockery of the sport.

riseagainst
08-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Subject of him being any kind of HOF is laughable, subject of fans outside of America stuffing the ballot box for him EVEN when his play didn't merit it....is the REAL subject.

If I'm not mistaken, he was at some point leading asg votes THIS past season even though he had retired..

ASG is a popularity contest and it always has been, BUT.....people voting for Yao Ming made a mockery of the sport.

face it, if Yao Ming was black, you'd be all over his nuts, you racist bastard. :lol

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Get off the "opening the door to the Chinese" argument. It's not about Chinese players coming into the NBA. It's about how much China has embraced the sport of basketball since the time when Yao Ming became famous. It's extends well beyond Yao Ming and other Chinese players. Look at all of the NBA players that went to China during the lockout and got good money. They can thank Yao Ming for that.

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Wrong again, Captain Racist.

Guatemalan.

Subject of him being any kind of HOF is laughable

You're just being a stubborn child now.

subject of fans outside of America stuffing the ballot box for him EVEN when his play didn't merit it....is the REAL subject.

Do you realize how many votes he received in America and Canada?

Pretty sure he wasn't even on the ballot, but who cares about the facts? :confusedshrug:

Are you sure?

I get the outrage over his rookie season.

2004 - 17.5 PPG, 9 RPG, 2 BPG, 52% FG, 81% FT
2005 - 18.3 PPG, 8.4 RPG, 2 BPG, 55% FG, 78% FT
2006 - 22 PPG, 10 RPG, 52% FG, 85% FT
2007 - 25 PPG, 9.4 RPG, 2 BPG, 51.6% FG, 86% FT
2008 - 22 PPG, 11 RPG, 2 BPG, 51% FG, 85% FT
2009 - 19.7 PPG, 10 RPG, 2 BPG, 55% FG, 87% FT

Those aren't All-Star numbers? You can trip on how many games he missed and you can trip about him starting, but don't act like he didn't belong on the court with those other players.

Dude was LEGIT All-Star all but 2 years of his career.

riseagainst
08-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Guatemalan.

Pretty sure he wasn't even on the ballot, but who cares about the facts? :confusedshrug:

Are you sure?

Those aren't All-Star numbers? You can trip on how many games he missed and you can trip about him starting, but don't act like he didn't belong on the court with those other players.

that dude obviously has an agenda (prolly a racist one). If Yao ming was black he'd be all over his nuts. like "omg GOAT center!"

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 12:47 PM
that dude obviously has an agenda (prolly a racist one)

He's at least openly racist. He's proven that much.

Meticode
08-09-2012, 12:48 PM
He got voted in to all star game when he hadn't played a game.
Too bad that doesn't mean anything for HoF voting.

Meticode
08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Thinking about Yao Ming makes me depressed. Too short of a career. :( Had one of the wettest mid-range jumpers.

L.Kizzle
08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah, he's had a major impact.

I think he will be on the upcoming ballot as a contributor.

His NBA career, he is boderline but you add in everything else and he's first ballot.

MavsSuperFan
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
If yao were american i doubt he would get into the hof, he was just above average good player, but for obvious reasons, such as his international accomplishments he will probably be a first ballot.

Throw in the fact that the nba wants to grow internationally and that china is a huge market and the fact that the basketball hof is much less prestigious than Canton or Cooperstown and you see why Yao will almost assuredly make the hof.

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Guatemalan.

Are you sure?

resent being called Captain Racist....

maybe Major or General, but never captain

as for the stats.....put them in context of what stats were for other starting centers in WC

he was voted a starter in a year where he played 5 games in first half, which you aren't disputing

gonna look for article that mentions him being voted for heavily in season post retirement

Listen....perhaps you put your blinders on and didn't read about HEAVILY HYPED..heavily marketed players who couldn't live up to hype getting destroyed DAILY on ISH...including king james who FINALLY finally shut EVERYBODY up..and fulfilled and justified the hype machine that's been propping him up since day one

Shaq was destroyed for making ahahahahahah top 50 players ever, after his 5-6th year

KG was the peyton manning of the nba..couldn't win in playoffs
Dirk was routinely destroyed..................Kobe in the early post shaq years was destroyed....Nash, 2 time league MVP gets destroyed

Yao Ming and the hype machine behind him created backlash and he might have accumulated some stats, but I'm just not impressed...

let Yao take his lumps like other heavily marketed players..

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
face it, if Yao Ming was black, you'd be all over his nuts, you racist bastard. :lol

I thought you were joking at first

hardly a bastard, my parents were married 10 years before I was born.

if Yao Ming were Black he'd be Joe Barry Carrol

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 01:05 PM
as for the stats.....put them in context of what stats were for other starting centers in WC

Yeah, they were better than any center in the NBA other than Shaq and later Dwight Howard.

gonna look for article that mentions him being voted for heavily in season post retirement

Go ahead. I can provide a link to the list of balloted players, which does not include him.

Listen....perhaps you put your blinders on and didn't read about HEAVILY HYPED..heavily marketed players who couldn't live up to hype getting destroyed DAILY on ISH...including king james who FINALLY finally shut EVERYBODY up..and fulfilled and justified the hype machine that's been propping him up since day one

The idiocy of ISH does not influence me. I'm an adult. I make my own opinions. This place is not a place to come for unbiased, logical, even factual basketball discussion. It's a cess pool. I come here for entertainment.

Yao Ming and the hype machine behind him created backlash and he might have accumulated some stats, but I'm just not impressed...

It's clear that you aren't impressed by a 20/10 center in his prime. That's your problem.

let Yao take his lumps like other heavily marketed players..

See you at the HOF induction, sucker. :banana:

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I thought you were joking at first

hardly a bastard, my parents were married 10 years before I was born.

if Yao Ming were Black he'd be Joe Barry Carrol

Joe Barry Carroll put better numbers than at least one center that made this year's All-Star team in the East. You act like JBC was some scrub.

If JCB had come out of a country that experience a boom in basketball related interest, he'd be in the HOF along with Yao. But he wasn't.

Real Men Wear Green
08-09-2012, 01:09 PM
If he was judged by the standards of a born and bread American he'd be borderline, but for his international impact as the greatest Asian player we've ever seen he has a good chance.
NO

career of 5 second and third all nba teams does not make you an allstar
Most of those years he would have been an All-Star, just not starting over Shaq.

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Joe Barry Carroll put better numbers than at least one center that made this year's All-Star team in the East. You act like JBC was some scrub.

If JCB had come out of a country that experience a boom in basketball related interest, he'd be in the HOF along with Yao. But he wasn't.

YOU'RE making MY point for ME.

thanks.

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
YOU'RE making MY point for ME.

thanks.

Can you read?

It was never argued that Yao Ming would not be in the HOF if he wasn't Chinese.

Your point was that Yao Ming wasn't an All-Star. You were wrong.

get these NETS
08-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah, they were better than any center in the NBA other than Shaq and later Dwight Howard.

Go ahead. I can provide a link to the list of balloted players, which does not include him.

The idiocy of ISH does not influence me. I'm an adult. I make my own opinions. This place is not a place to come for unbiased, logical, even factual basketball discussion. It's a cess pool. I come here for entertainment.

It's clear that you aren't impressed by a 20/10 center in his prime. That's your problem.

See you at the HOF induction, sucker. :banana:

yeah, started over lakers shaq.....but it's not rigged

20 10 guy? not impressed by elton brand either....

heavily hyped players always get more scrutiny..has nothing to do with ish....or with race...

nature of sports

eventually player is going to justify the hype or not

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
yeah, started over lakers shaq.....but it's not rigged

No, it's not rigged. Just because he shouldn't have started over Shaq, that doesn't mean there was some conspiracy to have Yao Ming start. The fans voted him in. Unless you have some evidence, any evidence, supporting your claim, shut up. Otherwise, get a dictionary and look up the definition of the word "rigged".

yeah, started over lakers shaq.....but it's not rigged20 10 guy? not impressed by elton brand either....[/quote]

Well, that would make you a fool because Elton Brand has had an impressive NBA career that few have.

madmax17
08-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Kobe is being gracious to Yao and Vlade, but he's a student of the game..he knows betterDrazen Petrovic and no one else. After him Divac, Kukoc, Radja, Sarunas.

magictricked
08-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Yao is a HOFer. First ballot probably not but he'll get in. His contribution to the sport is too big to go unnoticed

Chalkmaze
08-09-2012, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE]

D.J.
08-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Yao is a HOFer. First ballot probably not but he'll get in. His contribution to the sport is too big to go unnoticed

That's the exact reason he will be a first ballot HOF'er.

Math2
08-09-2012, 04:22 PM
As a player, hell no.

As an "ambassador", well whatever. If they want to vote based on feel-good nonsense, so be it.

Exactly. It's called BASKETBALL HOF for a reason, and the reason is not to make Chinese players want to play basketball. Ultimate PR story, shitty career.

Peter Pang
08-09-2012, 04:36 PM
That stuff is called "The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame"

quote: "honors exceptional basketball players, coaches, referees, executives, and other major contributors to the game of basketball worldwide."

not "National Basketball Association Hall of Fame"

stop acting like NBA is the only basketball thing in the world

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Exactly. It's called BASKETBALL HOF for a reason, and the reason is not to make Chinese players want to play basketball. Ultimate PR story, shitty career.

Shitty career?

How can you type that with a straight face?

When he played, he was among the best big men in the NBA. Unfortunately, his body wasn't meant for basketball. That's something that idiots like the people that trash on this site for being injury prone either don't realize or don't care about. No player that tall has ever been able to stay healthy. Their bodies are just bigger than a human's body is supposed to be. For the advantages being 7'5 gave him, there were equal disadvantages......and he was able to have a GREAT career for a player that size. Best player EVER over 7'2. Ever. Shitty my ass, you ignorant waste of time.

Did he deserve to start all of those All-Star games? No. Did he deserve to be an All-Star most of those years? Absolutely. Would he be in the HOF discussion if he were black or white? No. But he's Chinese and opened the door to China for the NBA (and the game of basketball) and that is HUGE. You want the HOF to be something it isn't, so people like you might as well stop even thinking about it because it's going to let your feeble mind down every time.

kobeef24
08-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Getting into the Hall of Fame isn't about peak performance. It's about your impact both on AND off the court. His international contributions alone are enough to land him a spot in the Hall of Fame.

blacknapalm
08-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Getting into the Hall of Fame isn't about peak performance. It's about your impact both on AND off the court. His international contributions alone are enough to land him a spot in the Hall of Fame.

this guy gets it. it's a basketball HOF, not an NBA HOF. ming will get in because of the chinese awareness he brought the game, point blank

ChicagoMadeMe
08-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Absolutely not. What has he accomplished? 8 seasons total,playing less than 58 games in four of those seasons, no championships, never getting beyond the second round, only 2 seasons of double digit rebounding averages.. i would rather pose this question about Shawn Kemp.

AK47DR91
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Can somebody name some Hall of Famers who got in for contribution reasons?

Have there been other former NBA players who made it in because of that reason alone?

JMT
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM

This.

And while many have made arguments against it...you're all wrong.

JMT
08-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Can somebody name some Hall of Famers who got in for contribution reasons?

Have there been other former NBA players who made it in because of that reason alone?

There's a whole wing/category for Contributors. Many are former players.

Contributors
■Clair F. Bee
■Senda Berenson Abbott
■Daniel "Danny" Biasone
■Hubert "Hubie" Brown
■Walter A. Brown
■John W. Bunn
■Jerry Buss
■Jerry Colangelo
■Charles T. Cooper
■William Davidson
■Robert L. "Bob" Douglas
■Alva O. Duer
■Wayne R. Embry
■Clifford B. "Cliff" Fagan
■Harry A. Fisher
■Lawrence "Larry" Fleisher
■Dave Gavitt
■Edward "Ed" Gottlieb
■Luther H. Gulick
■Lester "Les" Harrison
■Francis D. "Chic" Hearn
■Ferenc Hepp
■Edward J. "Ed" Hickox
■Paul D. "Tony" Hinkle
■Edward S. "Ned" Irish
■R. William Jones
■James Walter Kennedy
■Meadowlark Lemon
■Emil S. Liston
■Earl F. Lloyd
■John B. McLendon
■William G. "Bill" Mokray
■Ralph Morgan
■Frank Morgenweck
■James Naismith
■Peter F. "Pete" Newell
■Charles Martin Newton
■Mirko Novosel
■John J. O'Brien
■Lawrence F. "Larry" O'Brien
■Harold G. Olsen
■Maurice Podoloff
■Henry V. Porter
■William A. Reid
■Elmer H. Ripley
■Lynn W. St. John
■Tom "Satch" Sanders
■Abraham M. "Abe" Saperstein
■Arthur A .Schabinger
■Amos Alonzo Stagg
■Borislav "Boris" Stankovic
■Edward S. "Ed" Steitz
■Charles H. "Chuck" Taylor
■Oswald Tower
■ArthurL.Trester
■Dick Vitale
■W.R. Clifford "Cliff" Wells
■Louis G. Wilke
■Tex Winter
■Fred Zollner

Qwyjibo
08-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Maybe.

I think he'll get in and probably deserves it based on all that "contribution" stuff. He was a great player in the NBA but unfortunately didn't have the longevity.

And that's in regards to whether or not he gets in. To me, you're a Hall of Famer or you aren't. I don't care about this stupid "1st ballot" stuff. It's as silly as it is in other sports. A guy may not be a Hall of Famer in 2018 but all of a sudden he is in 2019? I don't care who previously got it in on a 1st ballot and who didn't. That shouldn't be used as rationale for not voting for deserving players.

JellyBean
08-09-2012, 08:00 PM
No. Check please.

SyRyanYang
08-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Kobe is being gracious to Yao and Vlade, but he's a student of the game..he knows better
nah, Wang's not even the first Chinese to make NBA, we have trailblazer in 80's

Connor B
08-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes, based on international contributions to the game. And rightfully so.

You guys need to realize that not everyone that goes into the Hall of Fame is there based on accomplishments as a player.

Strictly based on his playing career, he is not a HOF player. Everyone knows that. However, he had a profound impact on the game of basketball.

You sound like a dirty hippie. We're not giving handouts to every Asian who decided to play basketball over ping pong.

GoSpursGo1984
08-09-2012, 09:14 PM
hall of fame > championships (the ultimate goal of every player)
i'd rather be a hall of famer than to have multiple rings/fmvps.
You should stop your fail trolling.

Maybe how the Hall of Fame used to be that would be true but now it is very easy to get into and not really that big of an accomplishment.

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 10:25 PM
You sound like a dirty hippie. We're not giving handouts to every Asian who decided to play basketball over ping pong.

And you sound like a moron since "every Asian who decided to play basketball over ping pong" isn't getting a handout. Just Yao Ming, who happens to be one of the most influential basketball players of our generation.

And I don't think you know what a hippie is.

fatboy11
08-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Maybe how the Hall of Fame used to be that would be true but now it is very easy to get into and not really that big of an accomplishment.

Listen to yourself.

Very easy to get into? :facepalm

Easier to get into =/= very easy to get into. It is, in fact, still very hard to get into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Chalkmaze
08-09-2012, 10:36 PM
nah, Wang's not even the first Chinese to make NBA, we have trailblazer in 80's

Who was that?

get these NETS
08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
OK... I was wrong about Yao leading asg votes after he retired. i had an old old link to a site that happened to have a tongue in cheek article about Yao.

Still stand by what I've said though....he DID start asg over Lakers Shaq and he did receive starting center's amount of votes the year he played 5 games in first half.

makes me hard to take any of his "more legitimate" asg entries seriously ....as he seemed to be locked in regardless of how he played or whether he played.

Perhaps rigged was the wrong word, but don't be naive about the NBA not rigging things

-Ewing going to Knicks in "lottery"
-Lebron going to Cavs in "lottery"

-Lakers/Kings series

Yao received the bulk of his votes from overseas, let's not be naive. Popularity contest each year for ASG BUT the top players in the league usually get legit knods.

Can't knock Yao for being born when he was, but like I said I'm no more impressed by Yao than I am of JBC..and JBC played in league with more depth and talent at center position.

Yao is NOT a HOF player.....
international players who have made the hall, namely PETRO, have ON COURT credentials and accomplishments outside of the league.

As a PLAYER, Yao was not a hall of famer. He seemed to be a humble guy, he worked hard and he did help the NBA make a LOT of MONEY, but that's where it ends.

fatboy11
08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Yao is NOT a HOF player.....
international players who have made the hall, namely PETRO, have ON COURT credentials and accomplishments outside of the league.

As a PLAYER, Yao was not a hall of famer. He seemed to be a humble guy, he worked hard and he did help the NBA make a LOT of MONEY, but that's where it ends.

Comparing their NBA careers, Drazen has nothing on Yao Ming. Nothing. He played in a better league before coming to the NBA. That's pretty much all he has on Yao. Both made a huge impact on the global expansion of the game. I don't see how you can look at Drazen and act like he's so much more worthy than Yao. Petrovic contributed more to European players coming to the NBA, but his NBA career does not compare to Yao Ming's. It cannot be argued otherwise.

get these NETS
08-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Comparing their NBA careers, Drazen has nothing on Yao Ming. Nothing. He played in a better league before coming to the NBA. That's pretty much all he has on Yao. Both made a huge impact on the global expansion of the game. I don't see how you can look at Drazen and act like he's so much more worthy than Yao. Petrovic contributed more to European players coming to the NBA, but his NBA career does not compare to Yao Ming's. It cannot be argued otherwise.

Drazen was FIRST international player to make ALL NBA team

so with a straight face I don't think you're looking at this objectively.

fatboy11
08-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Drazen was FIRST international player to make ALL NBA team

so with a straight face I don't think you're looking at this objectively.

And that is quite an accomplishment. I never said Drazen shouldn't be in the HOF, but you're acting as if he far and away had a better career than Yao Ming when he really didn't. Yao Ming is the best player to ever come out of China (the world's most populated country).

It's funny you accuse me not being objective when I'm not the one just absolutely brushing off any logical argument for Yao Ming and I'm the one saying Petrovic deserves to be in the HOF. You're being anything but objective. It's clear you are racist and have an axe to grind.

get these NETS
08-10-2012, 02:00 PM

instead of he played ina better league than Yao, how about the correction

he dominated a league and region that was INARGUABLY where the second best basketball was being played outside of the NBA.....inarguably because the medals awarded to teams not named USA in international play are pretty much ALL from USSR ,former soviet bloc countries or the region.. from roughly the 70s until relatively recently...

Dominating mls soccer is WAY different than dominating euro leagues or south american leagues

2)Drazen was an international basketball legend, dominating 2nd highest level of the sport....yao ming was the best player in china..nuff said

3)Drazen died before he possibly reached his full potential, so don't see how this can definitely argued one way or the other...

fatboy11
08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
instead of he played ina better league than Yao, how about the correction

he dominated a league and region that was INARGUABLY where the second best basketball was being played outside of the NBA.....inarguably because the medals awarded to teams not named USA in international play are pretty much ALL from USSR ,former soviet bloc countries or the region.. from roughly the 70s until relatively recently...

Dominating mls soccer is WAY different than dominating euro leagues or south american leagues

2)Drazen was an international basketball legend, dominating 2nd highest level of the sport....yao ming was the best player in china..nuff said

3)Drazen died before he possibly reached his full potential, so don't see how this can definitely argued one way or the other...

Drazen played in the 2nd toughest league in the world, but back then, it wasn't like it is now. Plus, I think he gets too much credit because there were other players that were going to come over to the NBA regardless that came up at the same time he did (Kukoc, Divac, etc.).

Also, why are you talking about soccer?

Yao Ming was gunned down in his prime by injuries. Both guys had their careers cut short, but Yao Ming was better quicker. My argument isn't that Yao Ming is more deserving than Drazen Petrovic, only that if Drazen is deserving, so is Yao Ming. I think they're similar, though I do feel Yao had a bigger impact on the world. Like I said, there was an invasion coming with or without Drazen when you factor in Divac and Kukoc and those guys. Drazen was just the best of all of them.

jbryan1984
08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
If Reggie Miller wasn't, Yao sure isn't imo.

fatboy11
08-10-2012, 03:39 PM
If Reggie Miller wasn't, Yao sure isn't imo.

Different criteria.

When are people going to get this through their heads?

get these NETS
08-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Drazen played in the 2nd toughest league in the world, but back then, it wasn't like it is now. Plus, I think he gets too much credit because there were other players that were going to come over to the NBA regardless that came up at the same time he did (Kukoc, Divac, etc.).

Yao Ming was gunned down in his prime by injuries. Both guys had their careers cut short, but Yao Ming was better quicker. My argument isn't that Yao Ming is more deserving than Drazen Petrovic, only that if Drazen is deserving, so is Yao Ming. I think they're similar, though I do feel Yao had a bigger impact on the world. Like I said, there was an invasion coming with or without Drazen when you factor in Divac and Kukoc and those guys. Drazen was just the best of all of them.

1) Drazen initially played behind Drexler....in the heart of the prime of his HOF career...in the midst of Blazers championship push.

there was NO way that Drazen was going to get minutes

after a few years of development...and adapting to the league he made all nba

Sarunas,same draft year who was a pretty good player in his own right and got minutes early and by your definition was "better quicker" would tell you that Drazen was a much much better player than he (sarunas) was

2)can't teach height...Vlade Divac got minutes and playing time before Drazen did also..and in a tougher era for centers....WHILE his team was still making finals run.....he would play circles around Yao Ming..AND he would tell you that Drazen was a MUCH MUCH better player than he(Divac) was

3) hall of FAME...not the hall of very good..hall of good..hall of marketing the game globally...

Your treatment of Yao, to me is actually patronizing. Treating him like he's a mascot, judging him by different standards than other PLAYERS. He played the game and what he did on the court falls short of being HOF.
In an indirect way, you're the one who is being racist.

the link to the ones who made the hall as contributors is irrelevant, since Yao is a player first and foremost.

get these NETS
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM

used that to drive home my point about the difference between being among the VERY best in one league versus being the best in another.

You can't compare the best players in MLS( a low tier league) to to the guys who are dominating the 2nd and 3rd best soccer leagues in the world.

get these NETS
08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Different criteria.

When are people going to get this through their heads?

WHY is there different criteria?

fatboy11
08-10-2012, 04:12 PM
2)can't teach height...Vlade Divac got minutes and playing time before Drazen did also..and in a tougher era for centers....WHILE his team was still making finals run.....he would play circles around Yao Ming..AND he would tell you that Drazen was a MUCH MUCH better player than he(Divac) was

Give me a break.

Divac would not play circles around Yao Ming. That shows your bias.

3) hall of FAME...not the hall of very good..hall of good..hall of marketing the game globally...

Your treatment of Yao, to me is actually patronizing. Treating him like he's a mascot, judging him by different standards than other PLAYERS. He played the game and what he did on the court falls short of being HOF.
In an indirect way, you're the one who is being racist.

I'm not the one who created the criteria for the HOF!!! I'm not the one who created the "contributor" category! That's just the way it is, and under that criteria, Yao Ming is a HOFer. I've already stated MULTIPLE times that he is not HOF worthy based solely on his player career, but you seem to never acknowledge that. I don't know what else you want me to see if you just are going to continue to ignore that. You want the HOF to be something it isn't, and you don't determine what the HOF means. The people that run it do. End of discussion.

I am being racist in no possible way. You have that covered, assuming I must be Asian or part Asian or date an Asian (why would that matter?) because I'm defending Yao Ming. You're textbook racist.

fatboy11
08-10-2012, 04:14 PM
WHY is there different criteria?

Because the people who created the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame decided there should be.

Take it up with them.

But it's their HOF, so what they decide goes. You can either accept it or shut up about it and go on with your life. I don't understand your pathetic bitching and moaning about what the HOF should be or is meant to be when you have right or authority to decide. You're just a fan. Just a fan. And a poor one at that.

get these NETS
08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I am being racist in no possible way. You have that covered, assuming I must be Asian or part Asian or date an Asian (why would that matter?) because I'm defending Yao Ming. You're textbook racist.

Players get screamed on , called out all the time....don't recall you speaking up with such energy, if at all, for Black players or White players...so I assumed that you personally identified with Yao.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Why Yao, why not for the other HUMAN beings who play basketball also?

fatboy11
08-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Players get screamed on , called out all the time....don't recall you speaking up with such energy, if at all, for Black players or White players...so I assumed that you personally identified with Yao.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense. Why Yao, why not for the other HUMAN beings who play basketball also?

What black or white players that were mentioned as HOF candidates as "contributors" and had a similar global impact to Yao Ming were being "screamed on" or "called out" for the same reasons?

And I'm pretty sure you're not familiar with my post history as I've defended and criticized plenty of black and white players. Your judging me off this one thread and acting like you know who I am.

BrickingStar
08-10-2012, 05:46 PM
If those stats were some black dude no way in hell he's first ballot

get these NETS
08-10-2012, 09:16 PM
listen fatboy,

the list of hof contributors that was posted has names of people who contributed to the game of basketball

besides dollars into NBA coffers, WHAT has Yao contributed to the game?